PDA

View Full Version : Newb questions

DeathByPogs
Jun 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
Hello, I am new to PSO2, however I have followed this site for a long time (since PSO on dreamcast) and I am very excited to find out that PSO2 pretty much starts tomorrow. That being said, what time does it start? I am currently in the eastern time zone.

And for someone that has no idea how to speak japanese, should I just not even attempt playing?

Thanks!:D

Zorafim
Jun 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
I think it starts 3am our time. So it'll be up tomorrow morning.

Even if you can't understand anything that's going on, I highly suggest playing the game. An english patch I'm not allowed to talk about should be available soon, which will translate all the menus and such. No luck with stories, unfortunately.

So yeah. Download the client and get ready for tomorrow. It'll be a blast.

MisterFruiz
http://countingdownto.com/countdown/89095

mhjc
It starts at 3 am for you, tonight. There are guides to help you if you don't speak or read any Japanese. Learning some kana would help you go a long way though.

goldwing
Jun 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
Well welcome to to pso-world.

RocSage
Jun 20, 2012, 05:08 PM
The term is newb not noob.
Newb means new player.
Noob means idiot player that never learns anything no matter how much you try to help.

DeathByPogs
Jun 20, 2012, 05:15 PM
I did not know that, thank you for the correction :-D

I have the game client downloaded and installed. It's taking along time at the login screen with updates though, is this normal?

Zorafim
Jun 20, 2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah. It has a lot to install. Expect to be there a while.

Oh! While you're here and waiting, download the Character Creator, make a character, and post it in the character log thread. Maybe make a nice little picture in Paint to put in your sig, and link that picture to your post. It helps everyone know who you are so you can be recognized easier when you start playing.

Rhypht
Jun 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
Welcome! I'm EST as well.
I don't think you should get discouraged at all. The game is highly icon-based, so if you're familiar with Phantasy Star items, the item icons should go a long way in telling you what they are. The same goes for the basic HUD icons and displays.

For any further translation needs, there is a rather extensive list of translated menus and submenus, options and dialogue windows at bumped.org/psublog. I think most of it is on page 2 now, but it's definitely worth looking at. That blog also has some great 'getting started' prep material that you can read through to bring yourself up to pace with where we stand at the moment.

If you do decide to play, a VERY large majority of the members of this forum are playing on Ship 2, blocks 20-21, so if you want to be surrounded by an english-speaking community, you can find us there! We'd all be happy to help with any questions you may have.

Feel free to add me when you're in game! I'm Rhypht on PSO2 as well, so add me up if you want and we can party up sometime!

Gama
Jun 20, 2012, 05:23 PM
The term is newb not noob.
Newb means new player.
Noob means idiot player that never learns anything no matter how much you try to help.

i actually had the idea it was the same and depending on context you would either be calling people a new player or an idiot.

god I've insulted myself so many times O.o

don't think i ever called anyone else a noob.

i usually like using the term newbie on other players. cuz its fluffy and stuff.

Zorafim
Jun 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
Helpful things

Do you know anything about any translations for the cutscenes? I wouldn't mind looking back and forward to read those.

RocSage
Jun 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
i actually had the idea it was the same and depending on context you would either be calling people a new player or an idiot.

god I've insulted myself so many times O.o

don't think i ever called anyone else a noob.

i usually like using the term newbie on other players. cuz its fluffy and stuff.

Newb and Newbie are the same.
Noob and n00b are the same.

Newb has the word new in it so it is easy to remember the difference, but most people don't know and use them interchangeably which I find annoying.

I know the etymology of the two are slightly different, but I don't recall how they came to be that way.

Rhypht
Jun 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
Do you know anything about any translations for the cutscenes? I wouldn't mind looking back and forward to read those.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the entire beginning dialogue was translated somewhere on bumped.org/psublog. I could swear that I remember seeing it there and reading through most of it.

You may wanna check back a few pages to around the time between CBT and POBT.

DeathByPogs
Jun 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
Thank you all so much for the quick response! I will definately be playing as I have been keeping an eye on this game for a while.

Sounds like a good community =)

One last thing, is everyone using the keyboard mouse? or game controller?:-)

Zorafim
Jun 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
Keyboard and mouse is superior.

DeathByPogs
Jun 20, 2012, 06:14 PM
Awesome, cause I do not have a game pad, lol. Downloading the character creator now.

Gama
Jun 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
i always played with a gamepad, but pso2 mouse and kb, "why?" because the gamepad is too dam slow.

Zorafim
Jun 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
The third person shooter mode is spot on with keyboard and mouse, too. I wouldn't play with anything else.

DeathByPogs
Jun 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah i need to get brushed up on some Japanese, just uninstalled the game on accident, lol

skuld01
Jun 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
-cough-

Excuse me, maybe I worried too much but you should also try to do a filecheck just in case.

I dont know if that 3.2GB patch is...there in the client downloader

DeathByPogs
Jun 20, 2012, 07:46 PM
Ok, so how do you make the CC full screen? Right now I can't hear any music.

skuld01
Jun 20, 2012, 07:58 PM
Ok, so how do you make the CC full screen? Right now I can't hear any music.

in pre-obt I use virtual fullscreen, and when in game I simply press [Fn]- PrintScreen

I am using a laptop playing this atm, funny is my 6 years old desktop cant....well.

I believe pressing printscreen on keyboard of a desktop will do the trick.

Also, in here's a topic about some screenshot option in game

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194612&highlight=screenshot

DeathByPogs
Jun 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately that did not work. I have no sound either?

skuld01
Jun 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately that did not work. I have no sound either?

Oops, sorry I miss read-ed

at launcher of the CC, go to option , and 2nd tab on the option, there's should be an option switching from windowed to fullscreen

it should be a 2 choose 1 option , non-number.

Also all fullscreen done in CC/PSO2 client will not save to clipboard, it will be saved in a created file at C:\Users\(TOP SECRET)\Documents\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\picture s