PDA

View Full Version : make just guard priority if you're hunter

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
they heightened the accuracy and aggressiveness of pretty much all mobs, but it's most significant in caves and up, and i believe they gave all mobs super armor if they have already started to do an attack so you're not safe if you just continuously attack everything, because one single enemy may have started to attack.

overall due to my current setup i thought it'd be smarter to get sword gear first but now i'm regretting it a ton. just guard would have saved my ass many times over if i had it, but i don't. and i wont until level 20.

if i could do this over i would have gotten dash attack>just guard+counter>sword gear (or any type of gear for that matter).

NoiseHERO
Jun 21, 2012, 08:36 PM
I ain't touchin' skills till fists come out!

HFlowen
Jun 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
I've been running though all the levels in fury stance and haven't put a single point in the defense skills. I'm doin' fine, but I've never actually tried the defense skills so maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 PM
I've been running though all the levels in fury stance and haven't put a single point in the defense skills. I'm doin' fine, but I've never actually tried the defense skills so maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

well i just realized that it only really matters if you're soloing.

having even one person in the party greatly reduces necessity for just guard.

SStrikerR
Jun 21, 2012, 11:00 PM
I don't even know how to use the skill trees (not asking for help, just saying), and I'm doing fine without anything. Choose whatever skills fit your style of play.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 21, 2012, 11:10 PM
I don't even know how to use the skill trees (not asking for help, just saying), and I'm doing fine without anything. Choose whatever skills fit your style of play.

FINE =/= EXCELLENCE, SON

na but u right, i just solo'd for a really long time and it's pretty tough to solo cave stages without just guard as a hunter. but most people aren't soloing anyway so this is pretty useless advice

SStrikerR
Jun 21, 2012, 11:48 PM
Well the thing is, unless you plan on getting a reset or buying new trees, do you really want to set yours up so it benefits you at low levels, or at high ones where you'll spend the majority of your time? With upgraded gear and more powerful/varied monsters, you don't know what you're going to want later yet.

Dycize
Jun 22, 2012, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't say to make it a priority... But when I decided to make my char more on the defensive side, I took the skill and did not regret it. With Just Guard/Counter, if you block just as an ennemy is attacking you, you take no damage and send it back to the mob.

It's pretty awesome and that feel of accomplishment when you block all those attacks =O Beats dashing out of the way any day.

Not that you should neglect dashing, bosses (I only fought the rockbear so far but) act as if their attack hit (which it did, just got blocked) which means that they don't enter the "missed" animation. I just guarded a rockbear's basic punch, then he did not fall over, for example. I was a bit sad. Then I put my sword in its face and all was well in the world.

Being a hunter feels so good in that game...

buri-chan
Jun 22, 2012, 01:52 AM
Rock Bear's second stage becomes easier when you can stop him from chaining his body slam by Just Guarding it. Silly Rangers and Forces will just have to run away until it stops~

Ryuujin13
Jun 22, 2012, 01:53 AM
well this was already the plan when I started using the tree simulator.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 22, 2012, 01:57 AM
Rock Bear's second stage becomes easier when you can stop him from chaining his body slam by Just Guarding it. Silly Rangers and Forces will just have to run away until it stops~

forces can just mirage escape straight through him. once you're to his side or back he stops bouncin.

and range roll has so many invincibility frames they could probably do the same. only the trolls run backwards away from him because they're usually trying to hit their teammates loooool

Boodendorf
Jun 22, 2012, 04:02 AM
Can't you just dodge attacks and forget about guarding? I'm pretty sure it has some kind of invincibility a la monster hunter roll.
Also does anyone have the description of the full hunter tree in english? That'd be great to see if I didn't so absolute crap lol.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 22, 2012, 04:05 AM
Can't you just dodge attacks and forget about guarding? I'm pretty sure it has some kind of invincibility a la monster hunter roll.
Also does anyone have the description of the full hunter tree in english? That'd be great to see if I didn't so absolute crap lol.

you're right, you can dodge out of most attacks. but there are some moments where it's just too late, and you're not sure where to dodge, so you can only guard, etc.

as ironic as it sounds, i feel like just guard allows you to be more offensive, despite it being a defensive skill.

SELENNA
Jun 22, 2012, 04:06 AM
You don't even need skill points in order to beat the game. It's THAT easy.

cloudzer00
Jun 22, 2012, 04:07 AM
you're right, you can dodge out of most attacks. but there are some moments where it's just too late, and you're not sure where to dodge, so you can only guard, etc.

as ironic as it sounds, i feel like just guard allows you to be more offensive, despite it being a defensive skill.

This.
Fail to dodge , receive 40 damage
Block, receive 6-10 damage
Just Guard , 0-1 damage

Lumir
Jun 22, 2012, 04:09 AM

Why gaurd it when every time he starts it you can dash through his legs and hit him from behind while he finishes the combo, then when he falls from the last part of it, either continue hitting him in the back, or dash a bit forward to hit him in the face.

Super easy, he is his own worst enemy.

mousel
Jun 22, 2012, 04:10 AM
You don't even need skill points in order to beat the game. It's THAT easy.

How did you beat the game? :-o

Vylera
Jun 22, 2012, 04:12 AM
Why gaurd it when every time he starts it you can dash through his legs and hit him from behind while he finishes the combo, then when he falls from the last part of it, either continue hitting him in the back, or dash a bit forward to hit him in the face.

Super easy, he is his own worst enemy.

Headshotting with a gunslash is probably the fastest & safest way to take him down, IMHO.

Lumir
Jun 22, 2012, 04:16 AM
Headshotting with a gunslash is probably the fastest & safest way to take him down, IMHO.

Sounds kinda slow compared to a full sword combo in his face. All you need is the right timing/position. TBH I really have had no need for gaurd and im nearly done with caves. Its still early to tell if I will in the future, but good reactions and positioning go a long way, especially if you are full offense.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 22, 2012, 04:22 AM
Sounds kinda slow compared to a full sword combo in his face. All you need is the right timing/position. TBH I really have had no need for gaurd and im nearly done with caves. Its still early to tell if I will in the future, but good reactions and positioning go a long way, especially if you are full offense.

i donno if you're soloing or not but really the just guard necessity only applies to soloing. if theres at least one other person with you the game gets much easier. much, much easier. however it also depends on what photon arts you have accessible to you. i'd say one of the best photon arts is partisan's fast 6 slash attack that has good width and distance range. you're also right in that it's all about positioning. conversely, someone with just guard can take more risks and has a higher survival factor, while someone with no just guard may just circle the edge of a group of enemies waiting for a proper opportunity, etc.

i'm def not saying you're wrong though. all i say are suggestions anyway

and i'll admit i like being a hero so i need to get just guard so i can do epic carries in the future when my entire team wipes and im the only one alive and nobody has any more moon atomizers

also, sword gear is making me eat my own words. after i got sword gear the difficulty of soloing decreased a lot. the large extra range and damage you do is pretty sweet