PDA

View Full Version : The dive roll sucks...amiright?

AlMcFly
Jun 21, 2012, 10:29 PM
So playing a Ranger, there is a massive massive delay to shit or ever move after you to the dive roll. Every single time it's like my character has to catch his breath or hold from puking lol. To make matters worse, in the heat of battle it is very very easy to accidentally dive roll. I've never died because of it yet, but every time I do it I'm thinking "Ok...ok...let me shoot now."

Note: I only have that one mandatory point invested into it. Please tell me if you can continuously roll or the delay disappears if you get the higher roll skills. Will be helpful information.

Eyce_Theon
Jun 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
I think the Ranger's evasive action is meant to be the worst intentionally, seeing as their meant to always stay far away to begin with.

Akaimizu
Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 PM
Perhaps, that is it. I know it's pretty darn nice for Forces. It's almost like every staff user has the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter's Shadow Vault ability but without the tumbling animation. A shadow shift, perhaps.

kdrakari
Jun 21, 2012, 11:26 PM
Forces have a very long distance dodge with huge invulnerability, but it also takes forever.
Hunters have the shortest dodge, but also the fastest and are the only ones who can use an attack to break out of the dodge animation (if they get a certain skill).

Gardios
Jun 21, 2012, 11:33 PM
Dive Roll is fine imo. There shouldn't be a need to use it continuously anyway.

More importantly, if you keep doing it by accident then you should consider changing hotkeys.

njdss4
Jun 21, 2012, 11:57 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting the English patch in the hopes that I'll be able to find and turn off "double tap to roll". I do need to roll from time to time, but accidentally doing it when I hit the same direction twice is annoying. I hope there's a different way of using Dive Roll in those settings somewhere.

kdrakari
Jun 22, 2012, 12:15 AM
You currently have the option to press X to dodge in the direction you're moving, which you should be able to bind wherever you want... If you can find that section. I'm probably gonna put it on the F key because I switch weapons with the mouse wheel, but whatever works for you.

buri-chan
Jun 22, 2012, 01:55 AM
It's essentially the same dodge from PSU/P. So I've got enough experience at that.

Gama
Jun 22, 2012, 04:15 AM
i find force dodge very usefull, enables me to g and heal people in the middle of chaos and then just get the hell out of it without being killed xD

Vylera
Jun 22, 2012, 04:20 AM
If you run circles around mobs, you basically never need to use the dodge roll, at least in forest missions.

But to answer the question, yes I don't like the dive roll, either. So I learned to position myself to never need it.

I'd also rather not waste points into dive rolling, so I don't know what kind of improvements there are.

Yurai
Jun 22, 2012, 04:26 AM
Just strafing makes you just as mobile as the roll, and lets you attack at the same time. The roll does have invincibility frames though, so it does have situational use.

Yes, they need to make it so that double-tapping a direction doesn't make you roll. Very annoying :/

Miyoko
Jun 22, 2012, 04:54 AM
I love it. Good invincibility frames, which is handy for dodging out of circle traps, and it's pretty quick.

However, double tap to dodge fucking blows and WHY HAVEN'T THEY MADE AN OPTION TO TURN IT OFF YET JESUS TITS. But, double tap to dodge sucks for EVERY class.

NoiseHERO
Jun 22, 2012, 04:57 AM
The dodges are obviously designed around the classes play styles outside of aesthetics...

I still like force the best, but I can't imagine it being as "now continue your combo" friendly as melee weapon's dodge.

AlMcFly
Jun 22, 2012, 05:07 AM
I don't think you guys are 100% understanding me. For my entire playtime in the game I almost never ever consciously try to dodge roll. So this isn't really a "key assignment" issue. All you need to dodge roll is to tap a direction key twice just a little too fast and you will roll, almost always unintentionally. That's one of my big issues with it.

This is obviously not as much of a problem for you controller players ;)

Scionni
Jun 22, 2012, 05:12 AM
I've had a great time with diveroll. Many a Hildebea-- I mean rockbear I have narrowly avoided with my good friend, dive roll.

jOhMG
Jun 22, 2012, 05:15 AM
Using a controller is phenomenal. My dodge roll is with a trigger instead of a double tap. So much more convenient. I was having a hell of a time with double taps on my keyboard.

NoiseHERO
Jun 22, 2012, 05:25 AM
This is obviously not as much of a problem for you controller players ;)

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOpe, no it's not.

But now you're getting all technical after having this poll and this "everyone complain with me about why this game mechanic sucks thread!"

So yeah! THIS IS OUR POINT OF VIEW!

AlMcFly
Jun 22, 2012, 05:29 AM

But now you're getting all technical after having this poll and this "everyone complain with me about why this game mechanic sucks thread!"

It's not so much that I want people to complain with me. It's more so that I want to know if I am just getting picky with my play experience. I'll deal with it regardless. It's not game breaking :D

KiroMatic
Jun 22, 2012, 05:31 AM
I honestly like the double tap (for the hunters) I guess I got used to it faster then others :/

Sp-24
Jun 22, 2012, 05:34 AM

You mad or something? It's not like people are supposed to be happy about terrible optimisation, you know. It's one thing if you accidentally double tap the key and it goes off (happened to me once), and another when it goes off because you are changing directions too often (happens all the time).

Yurai
Jun 22, 2012, 05:35 AM
Just let people toggle double tap on and off in the options menu. Best of both worlds.

Gama
Jun 22, 2012, 05:44 AM
ii honeslt have some trouble using the gamepad, because of the camera being slow.

Sp-24
Jun 22, 2012, 05:46 AM
You can set the camera speed in options. Not sure if it affects the gamepad, too, or just the mouse, but I assume it does.

NoiseHERO
Jun 22, 2012, 05:48 AM
ii honeslt have some trouble using the gamepad, because of the camera being slow.

Anytime you need the camera to be fast, just tap lock on. D:

Though in general the speed seems fine to me.....

XBOX 360 default setting hasn't brought me any issues since CBT...

PS3-similar controllers however, you have to set up... e_e

Rizen
Jun 22, 2012, 06:12 AM
Anyone who watched the first alpha video released by a player, you would see why dash, dive, and teleports have a "breathing" period.

NoiseHERO
Jun 22, 2012, 06:16 AM
Anyone who watched the first alpha video released by a player, you would see why dash, dive, and teleports have a "breathing" period.

It was like watching a flea "bunny hop" in fast forward the way it was spammable and surpassed walking and made you dodge attacks like a ghost.

Yurai
Jun 22, 2012, 06:19 AM
I found this submenu. Any japanese speakers know if one of them turns off the double tap?

ChronoSphere
Jun 22, 2012, 08:21 AM
That's the graphical effects menu, things like AA and bloom. If there is an option to turn off double tap, it would be in the keyboard setup menu (7th line, キーボードsomething, can't read kanji :P)

Yurai
Jun 22, 2012, 09:19 AM
Aww, too bad :(