PDA

View Full Version : Can't Run Setup

Josh_Kain
Jun 22, 2012, 08:32 AM
Downloaded the game and then went to run setup.exe and I get a popup that I assume is an error. It's just a small Windows popyp with Japenese text and an OK button. I hit ok, it goes away, and nothing happens. I verified the downloaded data in the downloader twice. I have no idea what else to try.

Intel Duocore 3.2 ghz
4 gigs ram
Windows XP x64 (North American)
Nvideo GTS 450

Asking about this in the Sega boards as well, no word yet. Will try to post a screenshot later when I'm home.

Alucard V
Jun 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Whats your security like? Because stuff like AVG will block the downloader.

Josh_Kain
Jun 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
Windows firewall is turned off. AVG is installed. Perhaps I should try disabling it as I try to launch setup.exe? I thought setup.exe was basically an install program you are left with after the downloader is complete. That's what I'm trying to launch.

ChronoSphere
Jun 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
AVG is like... the worst resource hog ever, with mediocre protection, at least it was back when I used it. MS Security Essentials does a good job and is light on resources. Should use that unless you don't have a legit windows, it will refuse to work if you do.

Josh_Kain
Jun 22, 2012, 09:22 AM
AVG is like... the worst resource hog ever, with mediocre protection, at least it was back when I used it. MS Security Essentials does a good job and is light on resources. Should use that unless you don't have a legit windows, it will refuse to work if you do.

Well if it was up to me the machine would just be running Linux, but this my gaming machine and Wine doesn't work for everything. Also, let's just say I can't use MS Sec Ess ;) If all it takes is disabling AVG for setup.exe to run that would be nice... I can't try it though for a few more hours. Stuck at work right now.

EDIT: Whups. Just realized this is in the wrong section. Could a mod move it to Tech Support? TIA

Josh_Kain
Jun 22, 2012, 11:53 AM
^ bump ^

Do I have to change any regional settings to Japanese when trying to run setup.exe in XP?

Josh_Kain
Jun 22, 2012, 04:40 PM
Okay, here is a screenshot of my error: http://s17.postimage.org/9l8hisigd/Untitled.jpg

A friend of mine told me she thinks it's because the downloader didn't do right. Although I verified the files, I DID try to change the destination path because I didn't want it on my desktop. Maybe that messed it up.

Downloading the patched client from another location now, about 1 hour left.

bamanoske
Jun 22, 2012, 05:50 PM
Well u say ur using windows XP 64 bit, had same issue. Got ahold of windows 7, had some problems so i ended up using my XP 32 bit just to play till i get that 7 working. Xp 64 bit is not supported for PSO2 which alot of stuff isnt and hence why i 64 didnt bother me till recently when i tryed playing this. XP 64 is nice till u start running into programs that wont work with it. Exp, Itunes :)

bamanoske
Jun 22, 2012, 05:53 PM
also as a test (this is what i did) go get ahold of the PSO2 benchmark/character creator. That took 20 mins to download and as soon as set it up and clicked it i got an error message reassuring me of what i read that Win XP 64 doesnt work for PSO2.

Josh_Kain
Jun 22, 2012, 09:11 PM
Well u say ur using windows XP 64 bit, had same issue. Got ahold of windows 7, had some problems so i ended up using my XP 32 bit just to play till i get that 7 working. Xp 64 bit is not supported for PSO2

ARGHHHHHH!!!! That really, really sucks.

Thanks for the info.

Josh_Kain
Jun 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
Okay. Installed Windows 7 Ultimate this morning and...

setup.exe works!!!!

:)