PDA

View Full Version : General opinion

LoN_Lina
Jun 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
Ok Here is where i shoot myself in the foot.
I want to here peoples opinion of the current game. and please none of it's sucks cause it's not in engrish.

Currently i like a lot of what this game has to offer. For instance the NPC's being people you actually know. the new active combat system seems a little more fluid then PSU. I like the mid air attack system as well as the evade movement.

What i don't like focuses on what i've played the most of; force. It feels like sega is forcing ramarl and hucaseal on us again. I'm playing a newman force and have 100 pp at level 4. 4 spells in i'm beating things with my staff. worst part is i do more damage with the smack then with the tech. I didn't like that aspect of PSU and I don't want pso to go the same road.

Blackheart521
Jun 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
do you charge your techs? you'll do alot more damage that way ^^;

XionAsuka
Jun 23, 2012, 11:29 PM
Well, I play a Cast Ranger, so my opinion may not be too high up... But I like the game so far. I do wish the Rangers had one more weapon type or something though. I haven't tried Hunter or Force yet.

Also, to try and help you with your situation, it may be less-strenuating when you get your mag later, mayhaps. Enhance the damage so it hopefully takes less spells to obliterate things. Also, are you soloing? I can see the drain being alot bigger if you're trying to solo, since in a party, one wouldn't need to throw out constant streams of spells/PA's to win.

If that's not the case, maybe they'll get increased PP regen/stocks somewhere down the line? I'm not sure what their skill tree looks like.

LoN_Lina
Jun 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
do you charge your techs? you'll do alot more damage that way ^^;

I have 3 uses and out of PP at 90dmg. but with attack rate and 36 dmg a thwack the staff if far more effective as a beat stick.

supersonix9
Jun 23, 2012, 11:31 PM
Best MMORPG I've ever played. Either that, or PSOBB.

ZIE creations
Jun 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
Ok Here is where i shoot myself in the foot.
I want to here peoples opinion of the current game. and please none of it's sucks cause it's not in engrish.

Currently i like a lot of what this game has to offer. For instance the NPC's being people you actually know. the new active combat system seems a little more fluid then PSU. I like the mid air attack system as well as the evade movement.

What i don't like focuses on what i've played the most of; force. It feels like sega is forcing ramarl and hucaseal on us again. I'm playing a newman force and have 100 pp at level 4. 4 spells in i'm beating things with my staff. worst part is i do more damage with the smack then with the tech. I didn't like that aspect of PSU and I don't want pso to go the same road.

All races have 100pp no matter the level, only thing that increases it is equipment (and maybe some skill tree?) and your PA levels must be low if your hitting the same with melee. Remember you can charge your technics to do more damage and larger area effects.

For my thoughts on the game... I LOVE IT!!! I love the new combat which now actually relies on skill completely and all "stat battles" are a losing case. The music is pretty nice and blends, environments feel like their own place, even though they do "recycle" a bit but it's only the beginning. I don't really like how hard you have to work to unlock new areas and don't like how premium will be required for trading and room but I'll live with the requirements since they are fun while dishing out money later for Arks Cash anyways.

Onto the topic on English... don't really need it... you can do everything and translate whatever little you need to know. If anything the game being in Japanese adds to the adventure.

Delving into a future where the land is hostile and enemies drop expensive loot. You wonder the land with the few others who know your tongue, wondering through encrypted requests for even greater rewards...

Ryuujin13
Jun 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
So far I like it. As a Hucast it is fun to play. I just wish I could feed my mag more often then three times at the most. Which only happens when he goes down to 0%. Also wish the boxes and enemies dropped more than just money all the time. Feel like that all I get sometimes lol

Ueno54
My charged rafoie does like 500 damage for 20 pp on the rock bear weak spot. I'm 13 and still trying to farm the matter board drop from him. :/ Hunewearl btw. Your techs will get much stronger down the road.

sugarFO
In the fire tree you can reach "Charge PP Revival" which allows you to regenerate PP while charging techs. I play a FOmarl and I'm having a lot of fun.

One thing though. Being a healer/supporter isn't that great in this game yet. Shooting a card to aim to heal your group isn't very accurate or fast. I feel like it's every man for himself even though I'm casting Resta. Its range just isn't great at this point. Perhaps this changes as the techs get higher in level like in PSU.

I'm enjoying nuking, though.

LoN_Lina
Jun 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
Well, I play a Cast Ranger, so my opinion may not be too high up... But I like the game so far. I do wish the Rangers had one more weapon type or something though. I haven't tried Hunter or Force yet.

Also, to try and help you with your situation, it may be less-strenuating when you get your mag later, mayhaps. Enhance the damage so it hopefully takes less spells to obliterate things. Also, are you soloing? I can see the drain being alot bigger if you're trying to solo, since in a party, one wouldn't need to throw out constant streams of spells/PA's to win.

If that's not the case, maybe they'll get increased PP regen/stocks somewhere down the line? I'm not sure what their skill tree looks like.

yeah completely lost on getting a mag at the moment. the problem exist when solo, with NPC or group. maybe it's an issue that they'll fix when i level or get a mag. and this is for general opinion so all are welcome to voice what they like don't like about the game.

HFlowen
Jun 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
I'm questioning the game heavily after finding out that "rares become account bound if you ever equip them"-thing.

Lumir
Jun 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
Best game of the year. Been waiting for something worth playing, (D3 failed me... EPIC FAIL). Everything about the game has me craving more.

The only down side is the amount of content (already in hard mode). And that's only temporary as the game continues to get updates.

Ryuujin13
Jun 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
I'm questioning the game heavily after finding out that "rares become account bound if you ever equip them"-thing.

Well thats not a unique thing to this game. It is actually starting to become common practice in most of the mmo's that I have played (WoW, Aion, FFXIV)

The Awesomeinator
I like the game so far- aside from the fact that I'm playing it almost completely blind.

The combat feels more fluid and less mashy, thanks to the Just system. Coming off of Diablo 3, it's a nice change of pace. I especially love how, as a Hunter, dodging can be chained into an attack. I haven't played PSU or PSO (I KNOW, I KNOW), so I don't know if that's anything new, but I like it.

Deviruki
I'm happy with it. Just wish the updates would come by sooner, along with the other wep types (waiting on daggers).

LoN_Lina
Jun 23, 2012, 11:39 PM
I like the game so far- aside from the fact that I'm playing it almost completely blind.

The combat feels more fluid and less mashy, thanks to the Just system. Coming off of Diablo 3, it's a nice change of pace. I especially love how, as a Hunter, dodging can be chained into an attack. I haven't played PSU or PSO (I KNOW, I KNOW), so I don't know if that's anything new, but I like it.

it is new but i've done it with my force so i think it's going to be a good feature for all.

Narue Moon
Jun 23, 2012, 11:39 PM
One of the best MMO's I've played. If not the best. The gameplay is excellent and the environment in general is out of question. Maybe a little lame that we will need AC for like everything, but meh.
I am hoping for a PvP arena someday... someyear. C'mon Sega, make it happen.

Delving into a future where the land is hostile and enemies drop expensive loot. You wonder the land with the few others who know your tongue, wondering through encrypted requests for even greater rewards...

Lol, thats nice.

XionAsuka
Jun 23, 2012, 11:40 PM
yeah completely lost on getting a mag at the moment. the problem exist when solo, with NPC or group. maybe it's an issue that they'll fix when i level or get a mag. and this is for general opinion so all are welcome to voice what they like don't like about the game.

I'm only 5 horns in to getting the mag. Can't wait til I get Fornax. D:

I took a gander at the Force skill tree. They get 2 skills that add PP to them, one that recovers PP while charging, and some elements have 'Save' skills that reduce PP cost when casting them. That sounds like it'd be helpful.

Edit: My bad, just looks like Thunder has a save skill.

Zyrusticae
Jun 23, 2012, 11:40 PM
Man, what? You're very clearly doing it wrong.

First of all, most attack techs (except lightning) cost 20pp per use, and charging does not increase the pp cost, meaning that at a minimum you should be able to cast 5 techs before you bottom out.

Secondly, you should (almost) always be charging.

Thirdly, you should always Just Attack your techs.

Finally, you should be picking up accessories (units) with +Tech Attack.

Do all of the above and you will be wiping out entire groups of enemies before your teammates even get to attack (the poor sods).

I am enjoying myself greatly right now. I only wish the visuals were a little better, there was more outfits/modularity in the outfits, and that I could freakin' buy some freakin' Arks Cash so I can GIVE YOU MY MONEY SEGAAAA *ahem*.

Coatl
Jun 23, 2012, 11:42 PM
i'm beating things with my staff. .

Try Talis.
Makes being a force much more sane, and efficient.

Lumir
Jun 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
Onto the topic on English... don't really need it... you can do everything and translate whatever little you need to know. If anything the game being in Japanese adds to the adventure.

THIS. Ive played games in other languages and man it just adds more to the game! Not only trying to figure it out in game, but the hunt for information. Entire communities gathering to share their experiences in hopes of advancing or learning more about the game. Or searching google for any and all information about the game. It all just adds to the experience.

Coatl
Jun 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
In the fire tree you can reach "Charge PP Revival" which allows you to regenerate PP while charging techs. I play a FOmarl and I'm having a lot of fun.

One thing though. Being a healer/supporter isn't that great in this game yet. Shooting a card to aim to heal your group isn't very accurate or fast. I feel like it's every man for himself even though I'm casting Resta. Its range just isn't great at this point. Perhaps this changes as the techs get higher in level like in PSU.

The thing about PP revival is that, it helps, but it won't make you have an endless supply of PP. It will ultimately just give you more flexibility and maybe allow two more techs before you go shooting cards again.

And I think that, while resta is hard to aim since everyone is constantly moving, it can help in tight situations.

Also, the game not being in English is a deal to consider.
How can you grow attached to the game when you don't understand half of what is going on in the plot?

Garnet_Moon
Jun 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
I love the Ranger bits, absolutely hate the Force ones, and am mixed with Hunter.

Ranger is fun as it should. From locking-on and shotfunning mobs in the face, to quickscoping enemy weak points for massive damage with my rocket launcher, it's always a joyride.

Force... I'm always out of PP and get creamed when I run in to recharge it with just attack. Never liked Forces though, aside from Funtecher from PSU.

Hunter is cool. I love the Lance especially. Not because I was a Dus Majarra-spamming baddie from PSU, but because I just love lances! Can't say I love the wired katars or great sword though...

Especially can't say I'm a big fan of all this lag, either.

LoN_Lina
Jun 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
Man, what? You're very clearly doing it wrong.

First of all, most attack techs (except lightning) cost 20pp per use, and charging does not increase the pp cost, meaning that at a minimum you should be able to cast 5 techs before you bottom out.

Secondly, you should (almost) always be charging.

Thirdly, you should always Just Attack your techs.

Finally, you should be picking up accessories (units) with +Tech Attack.

Do all of the above and you will be wiping out entire groups of enemies before your teammates even get to attack (the poor sods).

I am enjoying myself greatly right now. I only wish the visuals were a little better, there was more outfits/modularity in the outfits, and that I could freakin' buy some freakin' Arks Cash so I can GIVE YOU MY MONEY SEGAAAA *ahem*.

ack a min maxer. well i knew it was coming. I'm level 4. I have found 30 rods. nothing else. I'm not insano maximo the uber lucky powergamer. oh and thats one thing they brought back that saddened me. finding techs. i have no luck i'll be level 200 with level 5 techs again.

Try Talis.
Makes being a force much more sane, and efficient.
haven't found those yet.

TerminalMontage
Jun 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
I hear too many people complaining about Force.

I dish out TONS of damage and easily play my role with my Hunter and Ranger buddies. Time your casts right and charge them and you do huge damage, I was averaging 500+ damage on the second cave dragon at level 18, while also healing my team.

Dodging is amazing and I almost never get hit.

With my first Photon Blast I pretty much get unlimited PP for about 10 seconds.

My skill tree is only up to Charge PP Revival. Not sure if I should spec in Zonde, or Photon Flare. Photon Flare will more than triple my DPS for 30 seconds every 120 seconds, combine that with my photon blast that refills my PP super fast for 10 seconds, I have HUGE burst capability.

Force is perfectly fine, (although I would like Charge PP Revival to not pause my PP for half a second when I begin charging a spell and right after I cast one..) And you say you're only level 4 and you're complaining already?

Shadownami92
Jun 24, 2012, 12:02 AM
I love being a Force, and honestly, Techs are the only things I can find in this game.

I upgraded fire techs through the skill tree and my Foie is level 3 I think. I love how it just blasts through stuff. To be honest all I do is blast things until my PP is down, then I just do a little blasting with a gunslash, and after a couple of shots my PP is back up. I have RaFoie I think as well, and then the 2 other Bartas I have confuse me since they are both pretty much crowd controll (Barta Vortex thing which is level 4 now and Barta Explosion thing). I was happy that I got Resta, it's at level 3 now.

I never did use doding too much until I ran into a Dark Ragne and when I was the target of a Code Rescue.

I do enjoy PP over TP now a bit actually...It's weird being such a low level and actually having money.

Icecold
Jun 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
I am really liking this game the more I get into it. At first the language barrier was shutting me down, but now that I've getting more used to it and being able to ask around and look on guides I'm really enjoying the game. Like someone mentioned I think that the game being in japanese kind of unites the community even moreso haha. Good stuff

TerminalMontage
Jun 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
A tactic I learned, cause you do run out of PP rather quickly but you can still work wit it is..

Staying relatively close to enemies, charging your techs and timing them to get that little extra bit of power, don't wait until your out of PP completely, go in an smack the enemy a few times than dodge back and continue. Sounds simple. It is.

supersonix9
Jun 24, 2012, 12:06 AM
People complain about Force? You can throw healing spells. Instant god.

LoN_Lina
Jun 24, 2012, 12:15 AM
People complain about Force? You can throw healing spells. Instant god.
lol
well healing for 20 when you take 30+ is ummmmmmmmmm

Shadownami92
Jun 24, 2012, 12:16 AM
Not to mention it only takes about 3 fully charged Foie spells to kill almost all the little monsters in the Forest. And I tend to be able to cast about 3 or 4 spells before running out of PP. The more little attacks you do the more PP you get back. So I just pelt things with the gunslash and it recharges fast enough.

I love the visual effects of the techs though. It makes me feel awesome.

And a charged Resta covers a good area, and heals decent HP, and since it heals multiple times it's all good.

LoN_Lina
Jun 24, 2012, 12:21 AM
Why did my asking for an overall opinion of the current game turn into my critiquing of force?

XionAsuka
Jun 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
Well, it's still pretty early, all things considered. More often than not, Force tends to be a little hard to play early on, but they really start shining after you set up. Just stick to it, and you'll look back on this time and go 'I can't believe I had trouble that time.'. =p

Vylera
Jun 24, 2012, 12:45 AM
As far as gameplay is concerned, PSO2 is definitely the most fun I've had in a long time.

My only issue with the game so far is that I feel 0 incentive to play anything besides a ranger. They clear bosses the quickest with the least chance for error, and when unlocking new areas requires you to complete things on a time limit, gunslash bullets to the head are often the best option for a hunter...which is basically playing a ranger with no PAs.

I don't know, maybe I'm just bad at hunters because I've never played a hunter in the Phantasy Star series until this version of the game, but with headshot damage and weak bullet, rangers just get it done.

The way I've been doing things is unlocking stages with ranger, and re-farming them with hunter just to enjoy the stages. I don't see how I could do enough damage in time when I'm forced to dodge so much vs bosses.

ZIE creations
Jun 24, 2012, 12:49 AM
As far as gameplay is concerned, PSO2 is definitely the most fun I've had in a long time.

My only issue with the game so far is that I feel 0 incentive to play anything besides a ranger. They clear bosses the quickest with the least chance for error, and when unlocking new areas requires you to complete things on a time limit, gunslash bullets to the head are often the best option for a hunter...which is basically playing a ranger with no PAs.

I don't know, maybe I'm just bad at hunters because I've never played a hunter in the Phantasy Star series until this version of the game, but with headshot damage and weak bullet, rangers just get it done.

The way I've been doing things is unlocking stages with ranger, and re-farming them with hunter just to enjoy the stages. I don't see how I could do enough damage in time when I'm forced to dodge so much vs bosses.

There is a skill in the hunter tree that allows you to combo out of a dodge and just blocks allow for fast counter attacks. Basically if you play like I do you stay on a boss, hold agro, and take minimal damage while you can quickly hit weak points between movements. Remember bosses have multiple weak points so aim for whatever you are close too, even jumping then air step to get a quick crit on them.

Vylera
Jun 24, 2012, 12:56 AM
There is a skill in the hunter tree that allows you to combo out of a dodge and just blocks allow for fast counter attacks. Basically if you play like I do you stay on a boss, hold agro, and take minimal damage while you can quickly hit weak points between movements. Remember bosses have multiple weak points so aim for whatever you are close too, even jumping then air step to get a quick crit on them.

On the skill simulator, http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/hunter.html , would that mean I need to obtain Just Counter and Just Reversal?

Coatl
Jun 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
Why did my asking for an overall opinion of the current game turn into my critiquing of force?

Yeah, sorry about that..

But what I'm saying is that I don't think the forces are lacking on anything really. They did a good job on making all three classes incredibly fun.

The bosses are challenging, and who wouldn't be shocked seeing a random Dark Ragne appear in free forest for the first time? I know I was shocked when I had to kill TWO dark Ragnes.

I also love how you can bring your favourite npc to battle with you.

It's exciting and fun, and besides things not being in english, as well as the inability for me to trade with people directly currently, I don't see any faults to the game.

Also, once I went tali'd, I wondered why I carried a rod until lv10 Force. It's like it does everything a rod does..but better.

ZIE creations
Jun 24, 2012, 01:00 AM
On the skill simulator, http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/hunter.html , would that mean I need to obtain Just Counter and Just Reversal?

Pretty much. (wish I had something else to post so this didn't seem so short...)

TerminalMontage
Jun 24, 2012, 01:30 AM

Because at level 4 you have no idea what you're talking about lol

JeyKama
Jun 24, 2012, 01:32 AM
Overall the gameplay feels pretty lightweight. Ranger is pretty one-dimensional and I hear Force support is really awkward. Hunter has potential with the Gear Gauge and their PA/weapon variety but considering how the Japanese love their 3D hack'n'slash I'm not surprised in the least.

There are a LOT of QoL things I wish they would add, but I know they won't because they are franchise 'features' (like seeing/being able to lock onto target points directly from the over-shoulder view) I also wish the mob/other player locations synched up better though that may be more a server bandwidth thing.

The only thing I'm really not happy with is paid skill tree resets - those are really important for how sparse points get as the xp tnl gets astronomical, and if you messed up early you might be boned from getting an important ability down the tree for a long, long time (or never, depending on the level cap). At least one should be available free for new players, because that could impact gameplay.

Also, anyone have any good results sticking multiple traits on gear? I have amazingly awful "luck" - I failed to put Shoot 1 on a gun 10x in a row with a 80% success chance, same with 80% Body 1 and Arm 1 on various other things another dozen times... possible of course but seems fishy considering obtaining synth booster items will probably involve real money too.

The game combat is pretty fun (though I just came from Diablo 3 so probably scratching paint would feel fun). It has its weak points with the UI and PA balancing (I would like to use something other than Divine Launcher, thanks) but mostly things seem bug-free and smooth. Simplified though, for better or worse.

Oh yeah! srsly the character creation mode is the best thing ever. Too bad real MMOs can't handle that much customization.