PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually like Coffee's missions?

Mag-X
Jun 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Rant Alert

I seriously wish I could just punch this stupid NPC in the face. I hate her stupid missions so much. I really think they ruin the game.

It seems like all I've done since level five is work on her stupid missions, and they're really making the game very un-fun. The time limit thing is just cheap and lazy. It doesn't make the missions more fun or exciting. It just makes them extremely frustrating. If you're working on the ones like Dagan Extermination or Subdue Catadran it's difficult to find a group because everyone who's already cleared them has no reason to do them ever again. If you're working on clearing Forest or Volcano Free Field, half the parties have already cleared it, and are in no hurry to finish within the time limit just for you.

Also, no one wants to chat because we're always under that stupid time limit. I've only had one decent conversation in the game so far, and that's because we were waiting forever for one of the other party members to go talk to other NPCs to finish their stupid useless quests.

I feel like I never get to just enjoy the game because I'm always having to choose between rushing the levels to finish, or be stuck with the same levels forever.

Coffee's quests aren't fun. They're work.

ashley50
Jun 24, 2012, 03:09 PM
If you don't complete = no new map for you.

renrinken
Jun 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
I do, actually gives reason to play with others. Or in other words, it encourages people to join my open games =p

ShadowsCrush
Jun 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
No one is forcing you to wait for them, even in a solo party with NPC's I'll just kill enough mobs to make sure I get an S ranking and run right past everything else to get to the portal to have extra time.

If you kill the boss before your party even makes it to the boss map, no loot for them *shrug*

The NPC's have better PP management than most players anyway, sometimes it seems like they have infinite PP, which I suppose is entirely possible lol

MAXrobo
Jun 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
actually I liked the time trials. trying to figure out the minimum amount of effort possible to finish a mission while still getting an S rank was fun. it was a good challenge added to an otherwise easy game.

Ghalion
Jun 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
I havent had much trouble with them yet. I use npc teammates and they follow me around. I find the two force girls are better trash killers than the men, and i like xeno as a third. He isnt very good normally but during big fights he tends to use his bi mag summon thing to speed things up.

Though i DID get cheesed during a cave stage. I was under a time limit, and i got an emergency code elimination... In caves it literally walls off the way forward untiil you clear it. But the catch is 3 out of 4 enemy spawnpoints were on the wrong side of the wall, so i couldnt kill them. Id have to kill one, run back to the start so they despawn, run back to the wall, respawn, repeat 12 times. It ate up 8 minutes, lame.

Worst of all though is e-5. I got that quest at level 6 or 7/1/1 And now im 14/9/1, and i still havent finished. Plus im sure id be more like 20 if i wasnt stuck on it, since doing a level 5 dungeon over and over tends to be slow leveling after 10+

VonHalford
Jun 24, 2012, 03:35 PM
I do agree that some of the time limits are annoying. And I feel you on the fact that most of the beta testers aren't actually here to play or test the game. I actually missed out on completing/starting the city test in time because the person we were waiting on to join the party decided to go to the shopping district to sell items (even though you can do that after your in the party in the drop zone area). Then after I told her to hurry the #@$* up, she went all menopause on me. Seriously? You're not here to dance in the lobby, you're here to play the game. But maybe I'm nitpicking. Do what you want, but this isn't even a completed game yet.

DreXxiN
Jun 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Absolutely love them. Glad they have them in the game. Then again my opinion may be a bit biased as I was an avid Time Attacker in PSU as my signature may suggest. :P

MoonlightMyau
Jun 24, 2012, 03:57 PM
Yes and no. Its good to have objectives in any game but I think these are little heavy.

Having to S Rank various missions AND have time limits AND collect items just so you can progress through the game just seems too much to me.

It would be better (I think) if it was am optional mode and perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't as laggy as it is at the. moment.

This (and the lag) is taking some of the sparkle out of an otherwise fantastic game.

Vylera
Jun 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
I like time attack.

Koffee's time limits are completely reasonable and soloable.

Soloing is easier than parties unless you're premade with a group of people that are all going the same way.

WaltherFeng
Jun 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
Depends on the mission. For example, not even the members of my own Team could be convinced to redoing the Precious Good Transportation and Rare Ore Excavation missions. Simply because those Emergency Collect Codes were pain in the ass.

And to make things worse, sometimes those Emergency Codes wouldn't even activate at all.

Luckily I managed to solo both of them, the second one I managed to finish with less than 15 seconds left (Trying to operate both drills alone = Not fun).

Needless to say, I've had more pleasant gaming experiences. But luckily the game itself is great fun.

terrell707
Jun 24, 2012, 04:18 PM
I think they are ok. Something that I always complained about in PSU was the fact that you could just do any level at any time at level 1. So as a level 1 Guardian, you can save the entire universe from Dark Falz, which is stupid. So I like that Koffee's quests help to manage that. They are also useful to make sure you get your fill of a level before you can move on which I like too.

HFlowen
Jun 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
I didn't enjoy the timed missions that were based on spawn luck. Like that one mission in the forest where you have to kill darkers and the desert mission collecting crystals.

Fuck collection missions.

BahnKnakyu
Jun 24, 2012, 04:37 PM
They were poorly designed and utterly annoying. They should be optional content, not content required to progress. Reminds me of the bullshit I have to go through in FFXIV just to get things done.

The Dagan one is one of the worst. As HFlowen pointed out, it is ENTIRELY luck-based. That one needs to be fixed.

RakkaKaze
Jun 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Yes and no. Its good to have objectives in any game but I think these are little heavy.

Having to S Rank various missions AND have time limits AND collect items just so you can progress through the game just seems too much to me.

It would be better (I think) if it was am optional mode and perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't as laggy as it is at the. moment.

This (and the lag) is taking some of the sparkle out of an otherwise fantastic game.

I see this more like, "oh, you're definitely going to have a hard time later, if you can't at least do -this-"

Fighting two giant monkey bosses was a whole different ball game from the previous, grab,smash,slash mobs.

sugarFO
Jun 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
I don't like them really. In PSO all you had to do was become the level required for the difficulty. The quests were like Mop Up, Max Attack, etc. I'd rather them have focused on those kind of monster killer quests. I know there's quests to collect items from mobs and kill mobs, but idk. I'd like the layouts to be like PSO. ._.

Maelthorn
Jun 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
They bore me.

With the name "Phantasy Star Online" I was expecting... Well, PSO.

Not PSU2.

TerminalMontage
Jun 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
I only like her quests actually, working on beating the areas in 15 minutes or less is challenging and better than just running through the areas like in pso1, I really have no problem completing them too, never takes more than 3 tries or so.

I guess you just suck op :P

DreXxiN
Jun 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
They bore me.

With the name "Phantasy Star Online" I was expecting... Well, PSO.

Not PSU2.

I don't know, the game is "Phantasy Star" and it's on the internet so I suppose that gives us what was promised with "Phantasy Star Online".

Polly
Jun 24, 2012, 05:11 PM
I don't like them at all. Especially if something based on the luck of something spawning or not plus an added time limit, plus various other events that can happen to interfere, which has screwed me over quite a bit. The whole thing kinda rubs me the wrong way and I'm not even sure why.

"Yep, this sure is that forest mission again. It was great the first time, it'll be SUPER GREAT when I'm on a time limit hoping the enemies I need down spawn."

Kuro-Neko
Jun 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
I find them to be kinda fun. Especially when you barely clear them within the time limit, it adds some excitement to the quest.

Silenttank
Jun 24, 2012, 05:38 PM
You know at first I didn't like it. But once I started doing the caves speed runs I actually started finding them fun. It's a good challenge, it's a change from the whole constant grind, we get objectives to do that requires effort.

The Awesomeinator
Jun 24, 2012, 05:45 PM
It'd be more bearable if most of the missions didn't depend on luck.

More often than not, you're at the mercy of the RNG and its spawn rates. Certain Emergency Codes can make things even more difficult and add to the frustration- Avoid and Elimination come to mind. It would be bearable if I could run away (like Attack or Protect), but Elimination locks you in, and Avoid chases you through the map.

It's an archaic way to restrict progression, and it gets frustrating after a while.

The speedruns should be optional, or at least, not so heavily based in unlocking new stuff.

Spending 5+ hours in the forest, fighting the same mobs, gets a little annoying after a while.

Zorafim
Jun 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
I like them. It forces low skilled players to try and try again until they have the skill to progress. And it allows high skill players to progress faster into missions more their skill level. This way, you know that whoever is in your team in a high difficulty area at least has the skill to do what you've already done, and you're less likely to have to carry other people. And conversely, if you don't have the skill to get through it, at least you're in an area that's more your skill level so you aren't frustrated by the difficulty.

I don't mind the client missions, either. Usually, I see collection missions as ways to force you into an area doing a boring chore. But in this case, you're going to be grinding through those areas anyway, so why not pick up another objective? And if you don't have anywhere in particular you want to play, this gives you a bit of focus.

I will admit, though. I kind of dislike that Dagan Elimination quest. Wandering around a map aimlessly while hoping you run into a particular enemy isn't very fun. Though I just don't like multi-party areas in general. I like exploring every nook and cranny, and there's no reason to do anything but skip through a multi party area unless there's a code to do. Plus, getting your team to do what you want them to do can get frustrating. I once had my team wandering a caves open area for half an hour before we got coordinated enough to finish the mission up.

The biggest advantage is that there's less White Beasting. I'm sure that without these missions, there would be no reason to do anything but stay in one particular mission and grind it out until you get sick of the game. This way, you have a reason to go out to different areas and do different things.

Oh, and I agree with the whole luck thing. I don't like finishing one mission after killing one mob that just happened to spawn at the start, and then have to go through the rest of the game before I find the objective of the next mission. It's not so bad if you can force spawn enemies by loading a specific mission, but say... That E5 mission where you have to kill floating SEED things until they drop a staff? Those very rarely spawn. And even then, I have to hope they drop their item. That's my last matter board, and I just have to hope I finish it somehow.

Mag-X
Jun 24, 2012, 07:01 PM
Tried the dragon one a little bit ago. The dragon spawned twice inside the level, and then the actual boss dragon was seed infected. 35 minutes....

ThaiSoup
Jun 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
I don't mind them personally. I'm actually just not a fan of there being a whole quest line in the game in general. Granted there were objectives to be done in PSO. But eh, now they're trying to take elements of all the dare I say "Mainstream" mmos. Which, honestly I liked PS games because they weren't like that. I don't care for quest and quest items clogging up my inventory. But that's aside from the subject at hand.

I don't have a problem with these quest. People talking about timers and all that, well content is easier with multiple people. Even if there are spawns, groups are easily man handled. I solo or two man the content myself. I don't mind the challenge of it. But I'm not going to go around riding my own nuts about it. Just because you do TA's doesn't make you good. Alot of people like that kind of thing to challenge themselves for their own satisfaction without gloating about it. Like in PSU there were a lot of elitist that stayed off the grid who annihilated the times people post on the forums because they want friends. So yes, there are a lot of people who like them.

I also forgot to bring up a point to agree with Zorafim here. A large percent of your success does fall on RNG(Random Number Generator). For example. While me and friend Duo'd the Caves Free Mission, we got two Codes to eliminate the Dragon on the way. Granted they weren't required. But clearing codes and mobs alone does affect your rank. So it did affect the run in a whole. Not that I hate the mechanic, I rather like it. It was a love hate relationship of knowing all the routes in a map just by seeing what floor you spawned on first.

Twigod
Jun 24, 2012, 08:28 PM
Her missions really aren't that big of a deal. As someone already mentioned, it adds challenge to an otherwise completely unchallenged game. This is a GREAT thing in my opinion. MMO's in general are always so damn bland, but when you're REQUIRED to kick ass just to continue forward, it helps the experience in my opinion

The Walrus
Jun 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
I don't like them but I don't hate them either. I'm indifferent really

Hayde
Jun 24, 2012, 08:51 PM
Aside from luck based, the current situation with server lag does not really help matters. I narrowly completed a few of her quests with literally seconds left to spare.

While I don't necessarily hate them, I think my biggest gripe is how the structure of quests following up to free exploration works.

Basically, you are given a "tease"--the first quest of an area is generally a short run, where you kill an x amount of a certain type of enemies or what-not. By the time you've finally opened the free-exploration, you've gone through the first 'chunk' enough that you really just want to push through to see the boss, almost as if you were annoyed/bored by it (well, that's how I feel...I won't presume everyone, or anyone else feels that way).

The part that really annoys me the most is if I switched to ranger or hunter (I'm force atm) I would need to go through that same structure despite having everything unlocked. Since all enemies are level 10+ on free-field forest, it's highly unlikely I'd be able to waltz my way in there before level 7 or 8 at best.

I suppose there's an argument as to how 'dull' PSO was in the fact you pretty much were not restricted by quests, but I've always compared to PSO as a hack-n-slash version of Diablo or Borderlands, in that sense that I was always going for new loot, and less about more quests.

That's my two cents anyhow. :)

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jun 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
For the love of God, nerf the timed runs at least. Killing two accordion dragons and getting an S in the mission is challenging on its own. I don't need a time limit added to that. Also Dagan mission is luck-based.

zalcryz
Jun 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
yea nerf em a bit lol its hard enuf getting a S rank caves free run solo or with npc's cuz they are no help to me at all they stand around alot but to add a time limit to the dragon is just nutz, besides the fact i cant get a party together to do it i just log off n try later lol

Zyrusticae
Jun 24, 2012, 10:25 PM
I don't mind them, EXCEPT when it's very obviously more about getting lucky on the RNG (Dagan extermination, crystal collecting) than any sort of player competence.

That's just lazy. And piss-poor game design, at that.

Ueno54
Jun 24, 2012, 10:35 PM
The only part that bugs me is not knowing exactly how many mobs I can skate by with to get S rank. Sometimes I feel like I've killed an entire species only to get A rank, while others I seemingly do nothing and get S.

Shadownami92
Jun 24, 2012, 10:52 PM
For me I just sort of pick which enemies are just weakling fodder, and which ones are more important to kill.

I was able to solo to get the free forest mission and all I did was mainly take out the big monkeys, the big wolves, some birds and whatever ever else died in the explosions of those said enemies. I ahd 1 code arrest, but that didn't take much time.

Caves should be easy to unlock to since I've been able to mop the floor with the Rockbears with Foie, a charged shot to it's head deals at least 300 each time.

For caves I could see it being similar, avoid the little dark spider things and the super small dragon things and just attack the lizard men and other big things. Use the N key to see in front of you a little to make sure you avoid dead ends and it should be too bad. Once I level up Barta or my ice spell proficiency a little more and the accordian monsters can be easier, you can do a lot of damage with spells on them when they are stretched out.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jun 24, 2012, 10:57 PM
It seems that the best way to get through these missions is to use NPC party members... which has somewhat unfortunate implications.

MonopolyMan
Jun 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
They're kind of annoying, but the best moment I've had so far in PSO2 was beating Subduing Catadoran with 9 seconds to spare, so they're a good thing overall.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 24, 2012, 11:23 PM
I consider this premlinary training for Time Attack Mode/C-Mode that will be in the game in the near future. They are easy when other players are with you, one can even solo them using NPC's on your team. They are a bit challenging Solo with no NPC's at all with you yes. But I like the challenge.

darkante
Jun 24, 2012, 11:27 PM
The random map conditions do make it more annoying then it has to be.
I personally despise speeding through things since i like to take my time.

But it could be worse..like it not being soloable or something like that.
Even less time etc..

Mag-X
Jun 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
Finally beat it on a mission where we had to kill three freaking dragon. I did the desert missions up to the point where I have to do more Coffee missions, but she won't let me accept the quest for some reason?

Anyway, the desert is awesome as a ranger. Being able to take my time and explore the levels again was so nice. Just playing the game and not doing stupid timed missions is so much more fun.

Zilch
Jun 24, 2012, 11:55 PM
Err..I kinda like the missions. They spice things up. :D

That being said, I still feel there are too many timed missions, and too little "just run around and do what you want".

Zinaida
Jun 25, 2012, 12:01 AM
Nope.

All of them are luck based one way or another. I was only able to clear one at one point only because I didn't get code collect.

I like a challenge, and I even like challenge modes, but coffee's missions are full of redundancy and bad design. I only tolerate it since I do pretty well on them. I do not, and will never enjoy those missions though.

mhjc
Jun 25, 2012, 12:07 AM
I don't care for them one way or another. I just hate it when trying to do a TA and you need more kills for S rank to only end up getting an avoid mission (which tends to ruin everything). The other problem is running low on time then you get a collect mission to prevent you from going further.

That's about the only problem I have with them, since I don't find them difficult overall.

LatinWolf
Jun 25, 2012, 12:12 AM
Subdue Catadran, as Hunter Solo was a bit tough; but rewarding. I can see your point but I don't really think it's "ruining the game" bro

Spellbinder
Jun 25, 2012, 12:20 AM
I like them. It forces low skilled players to try and try again until they have the skill to progress. And it allows high skill players to progress faster into missions more their skill level. This way, you know that whoever is in your team in a high difficulty area at least has the skill to do what you've already done, and you're less likely to have to carry other people. And conversely, if you don't have the skill to get through it, at least you're in an area that's more your skill level so you aren't frustrated by the difficulty.

I don't mind the client missions, either. Usually, I see collection missions as ways to force you into an area doing a boring chore. But in this case, you're going to be grinding through those areas anyway, so why not pick up another objective? And if you don't have anywhere in particular you want to play, this gives you a bit of focus.

I will admit, though. I kind of dislike that Dagan Elimination quest. Wandering around a map aimlessly while hoping you run into a particular enemy isn't very fun. Though I just don't like multi-party areas in general. I like exploring every nook and cranny, and there's no reason to do anything but skip through a multi party area unless there's a code to do. Plus, getting your team to do what you want them to do can get frustrating. I once had my team wandering a caves open area for half an hour before we got coordinated enough to finish the mission up.

The biggest advantage is that there's less White Beasting. I'm sure that without these missions, there would be no reason to do anything but stay in one particular mission and grind it out until you get sick of the game. This way, you have a reason to go out to different areas and do different things.

Oh, and I agree with the whole luck thing. I don't like finishing one mission after killing one mob that just happened to spawn at the start, and then have to go through the rest of the game before I find the objective of the next mission. It's not so bad if you can force spawn enemies by loading a specific mission, but say... That E5 mission where you have to kill floating SEED things until they drop a staff? Those very rarely spawn. And even then, I have to hope they drop their item. That's my last matter board, and I just have to hope I finish it somehow.

Pretty much how I feel about it. Although I will admit, the client order for permission to do hard mode I found to be a bit annoying. I wish she had given it to me earlier to make the transition a little smoother.

Demon-
Jun 25, 2012, 12:20 AM
Nah the times to beat are fairly decent I think. You can solo most of them and if you have trouble on them just find a party or make one and people will help. I helped a few today actually.

OmNom
Jun 25, 2012, 12:25 AM
It was pretty easy, I never had a problem, although my friend did the Koffee quest to unlock the desert about twenty times.

Zelda01
Jun 25, 2012, 12:25 AM
like it matter what anyone think anyways Sega of japan gonna do what they want with there game and mission. so its just waste of time crying about and learn to accepts what they offer in there game and learn to move on. regardless what kind of opinion u may have. they wont take it back. Sega love to here subjection from other fan and player but not this type and they wont listen to it. Plus side note instead of making a post about why don't u send your idea else where even tho they wont care :P

Spellbinder
Jun 25, 2012, 12:26 AM
like it matter what anyone think anyways Sega of japan gonna do what they want with there game and mission. so its just waste of time crying about and learn to accepts what they offer in there game and learn to move on. regardless what kind of opinion u may have. they wont take it back. Sega love to here subjection from other fan and player but not this type and they wont listen to it. Plus side note instead of making a post about why don't u send your idea else where even tho they wont care :P

If they didn't care about what the users have to say, a lot of things wouldn't have changed from alpha to present.

mhjc
Jun 25, 2012, 12:27 AM
Pretty much how I feel about it. Although I will admit, the client order for permission to do hard mode I found to be a bit annoying. I wish she had given it to me earlier to make the transition a little smoother.

If anything, she gives it too early. Lv17 and it shows up, then you're barely 18 or halfway to 19 from completing that order :/

JeyKama
Jun 25, 2012, 12:36 AM
It gives you time to fill out the boss quotas before the Desert at least. Running around in a multiparty group in free-field desert for half an hour got me 9 Guwanada kills!

Spellbinder
Jun 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
If anything, she gives it too early. Lv17 and it shows up, then you're barely 18 or halfway to 19 from completing that order :/

When I got the order I'd already completed pretty much everything from Forest, Caves, and I'd just unlocked the last area of the Desert. So to complete it I had to go back and repeat the fight with the big gorilla and dragon just for the sake of this one task.

I guess I just wish there were other client orders given around the same time so I'd feel like I was getting more done "while" fulfilling the requirement for hard mode.

CrAZYVIC.
Jun 25, 2012, 01:29 AM
It seems like all I've done since level five is work on her stupid missions, and they're really making the game very un-fun work.

Oh i was feeling in the same way before i founded the web site explain everything about these misions. Maybe when the game is in english and i can understand what the NPCS say then i will enjoy this misions.

The time limit thing is just cheap and lazy. It doesn't make the missions more fun or exciting. It just makes them extremely frustratingwork.

I think this Time Attack misions can be Optional and not mandatory. Force the playerbase rush their misions is a bad idea. This promote the stress, rages,elitism and frustation in the comunity. Yes the hardcore players enjoy it but the casual players "No"

The challenges add lots of fun if these are optional.
Like C mode in PSO1. C mode was very fun and exciting but not was mandatory.
In PSO2 If you dont beat this misions then you cant keep progressing in the game.

Example if i want rush the things in my game. Then i use Team Names explain it and the people join know and is forced play good and rush the misions in my game. If i join a random team, then i must adapt their pace and not start rush for my own way this point is something the players forget.

Also, no one wants to chat because we're always under that stupid time limit.work.

When we join a team the people is expecting we play and cut the chat a bit. There is the looby for have a decent conversation. PSO2 is action game, need a lot of coordination and finish objetives quickly. Even so the people need comunication while they play. No comunication = Fail.