PDA

View Full Version : I need some debate material for PC > console versions.

CultOfPersonality
Jun 26, 2012, 02:59 PM
I don't want this to come to a console (JP/NA/EU w/e)

I need pro's for PC and anti-console.

Besides these:;

XBL
PSN
Monthly Fee
PSU

TechnoV
Jun 26, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'm sorry, but why would it being on consoles be a bad thing? That's just more people that can play the game, which is always a good thing.

mhjc
Jun 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
I don't want this to come to a console (JP/NA/EU w/e)

I need pro's for PC and anti-console.

Besides these:;

XBL
PSN
Monthly Fee
PSU

The only bulletin you need is that a console version may prevent updates from coming in quickly b/c they slow down the PC version which doesn't have the red tape to get things approved. I don't think they'll bother with the console version until the game is more "Complete" like lv100 or something though, so I wouldn't worry for now.

Halcyote
Jun 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
i would say the best argument against console versions is to take a look at sega's psu general discussion forum.

Slidikins
Jun 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
I'm not quite understanding the message the OP is trying to convey...

[EDIT] Before someone jumps to my rescue, I understand that he wants to debate, but I'm wondering why. There's no console versions at the moment and I don't see why he would argue against it. I just want more incentive to help out here.

Jazneo
Jun 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
it going to be free to play on Ps vita and PC and andriod phones. and PSN has a free to play game

Mantiskilla
Jun 26, 2012, 05:54 PM
I've always been a gamer that thinks games should be on every platform for other gamers to enjoy...SCREW CONSOLE WARS or whatever they call it now. Now I have 2 powerhouse PCs (one mainly for sim racing) but most people aren't quite as lucky to have a PC that could run the game to the standard in which they could enjoy PSO2. A lot of people on this site are young and may not have a career job to have a large disposable income to have a good PC to call their own, or maybe they just like the convenience of console gaming. Now I like PC gaming for certain things more than a console (Racing, FPS & RTS) but this game is a bad example. Other than graphics the game is basically a console game anyway and heck it started on a console haha. Again this is why releasing to consoles wouldn't be such a bad thing. Everyone should get their chance to play the games companies make; this one included

The Walrus
Jun 26, 2012, 06:26 PM
While I want everyone to be able to play this it doesn't take a very powerful comp to play. Most people nowadays have one anyway and if it's not powerful to run it on lowest settings then holy crap. inb4blahblahyouelitest

Disastorm
Jun 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
The control scheme is one example. Pso1 was an amazing game, but the control scheme definitely leaned toward consoles as it was basically made for a controller.
However, its clear that PSO2 was designed for PC with its automatic Mouse Look , etc, and I do believe this control scheme is superior to a game controller scheme.

Another example outside of the PSO community is FF14. Its pretty clear that the game was designed for consoles and it was quite possibly the biggest failure in the history of all mmorpgs.

The Walrus
Jun 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Controllers work pretty well with PSO2. Only time I used kb/m is when I have to aim. Which is really only Ranger and when I have to target things like a Rockbears face as a Force. I suppose I could just change my tps scheme though to using lb and rb to shoot and just leave it at that with a cont...
KB/M is overall better though I'll admit

Hayde
Jun 26, 2012, 07:15 PM
Ultimately, it may have to do with "hacking". I'm curious--how was GameGuard handled on the PS2/XB variations of PSU? I know the original PSO's were littered with cheaters and that's what forced the implementation of GG for PSO:BB although that didn't really help matters much.

I don't know why Sega is obsessed with GameGuard, and I doubt it's probably going to help them in this game for the long run--but I suspect it's not easy (or practical) to implement that piece of Software as a middle-man between the console and the game servers. It is likely possible, given the Vita version is slated for release.

r00tabaga
Jun 26, 2012, 07:17 PM
it going to be free to play on Ps vita and PC and andriod phones. and PSN has a free to play game

The PS Vita version most likely will end up being a retail priced physical copy and digital D/L. We will know more after PSO2 Vita testing is done.

LoN_Lina
Jun 26, 2012, 07:18 PM
consoles
can't update to new graphic engines
have limited spec that require games to be nerfed to play on
have communities filled with obscene children (not an insult I'm referencing the many cursing 12y/o that play XBL and PSN)
cheats on consoles are much harder to stop and in many instances lead to power gamers cheating and massive account bans without ever fixing the issue.

Personal computers
Larger variety of specifications allow for adjustable setting to prevent un-bearable game play in areas of the game (egg thieves on PC vs. lag thieves on 360)
Expansive hardware means that as you may start with minimum game play you can expand to maximum and handle future content that consoles cannot.
multiple layers of protection can be used to stop cheats and if need be new engines can be inserted into updates.
people with computers can access the actual website and read updates, release data, and server status. (though all are able to some are not smart enough to.)
A larger number of adults play on PC and thusly the community seems to flow better then with the kids on consoles.
Most PC players don't like cheating and police themselves.
Adults have money and game companies want money so they should market to PC.

Jazneo
Jun 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
The PS Vita version most likely will end up being a retail priced physical copy and digital D/L. We will know more after PSO2 Vita testing is done.

no it wont it! they will just put 30 day Package togther for people want extra feature they dont need to post f2p as price look at DCUO it free on ps3 network. Sega understand F2p market now because there host spiral knight

r00tabaga
Jun 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
consoles
can't update to new graphic engines
have limited spec that require games to be nerfed to play on
have communities filled with obscene children (not an insult I'm referencing the many cursing 12y/o that play XBL and PSN)
cheats on consoles are much harder to stop and in many instances lead to power gamers cheating and massive account bans without ever fixing the issue.

Personal computers
Larger variety of specifications allow for adjustable setting to prevent un-bearable game play in areas of the game (egg thieves on PC vs. lag thieves on 360)
Expansive hardware means that as you may start with minimum game play you can expand to maximum and handle future content that consoles cannot.
multiple layers of protection can be used to stop cheats and if need be new engines can be inserted into updates.
people with computers can access the actual website and read updates, release data, and server status. (though all are able to some are not smart enough to.)
A larger number of adults play on PC and thusly the community seems to flow better then with the kids on consoles.
Most PC players don't like cheating and police themselves.
Adults have money and game companies want money so they should market to PC.

Can't argue with anything you said. I am not against it coming out on consoles, in fact it would look amazing on ps3 & 360, but their user base is flooded with racists and teenage morons.

Akaimizu
Jun 26, 2012, 07:40 PM
Other than the community issues, which I think is false, that's a pretty good assessment.

I'm wondering how in the world PC players here actually avoid cursing and offensive kids online. Seems like either it is my luck, but I find just as many on PC games.

Diablo 3 is also completely filled with folks trying to hack and cheat as per usual, and I'm only using the most recent example. Seems as long as it is popular, you bring the riff-raff.

As with all games, the only way you'll get rid of the offensive chatter is if you are in a game with a niche fan base in your language. For instance, the Japanese server version of your favorite game. Or one of the less-popular games in your region. On popular and free, the flood of offensive and rude folk seem guaranteed to be on whatever localized server you're on.

Dunkfaced
Jun 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
Can't argue with anything you said. I am not against it coming out on consoles, in fact it would look amazing on ps3 & 360, but their user base is flooded with racists and teenage morons.

In terms of text chat, those of us who use the PC encounter racist teenagers just as much as anyone else....

Spellbinder
Jun 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
Unless he changes his mind, I'll just go with the fact that the producer said putting it on a console would be redundant with a computer in the house.

Windadept
Jun 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm sure they won't be releasing PSO2 on consoles.
Asides from updates and content expansion limitation, I see no reason why they can't release it for consoles.
The childish communities of XBL and others usually rely on voice chat, which is something that hopefully will never be available in PSO2.
Unless they have a keyboard attached to their consoles they won't be able to type midgame, with the exception of using presets. But I'm sure they'd get banned pretty fast for vulgarity and others things.

I usually find it when a game is released for the console first, then for the PC, to be the problem.
Since a mid-grade PC is still generally more powerful than consoles, the PC versions end up being dumbed down, and with awkward control schemes, as well has having a less mature target audience.
So to reiterate what I said, besides limitations in regards to expansion, it's fine for a game to be released on a console as long as the PC version is the primary focus, and the console version is just an extra on the side.

Sizustar
Jun 26, 2012, 09:38 PM

Sakai has said previously in interview that PSO2 will be Free to download from PSN only and Free to play.

r00tabaga
Jun 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
Sakai has said previously in interview that PSO2 will be Free to download from PSN only and Free to play.

Yes, but has since said that they are considering other options and that a decision will be made after testing the Vita version on their servers. PSOW Mike even acknowledged that a purchasable/physical Vita version is being considered.
Anyone who owns s Vita knows how cross-play works (or doesn't).

JeyKama
Jun 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
In terms of development, it's more efficient to code for Android/PC(and apparently Vita uses the same tools as Android). Cross-platform play seems to be one of their selling points of this game, and you can't do that on consoles (ever tried to play a friend on a PS3 from your xBox or Wii?... I didn't think so)

Consoles and iOS are the opposite, but get more audience for various reasons, but it's quite expensive porting games from one engine to another.

Is this Sega's first F2P? I wouldn't be surprised if Sega probably doesn't want to take the risks. There is also the graphics and engine issues - anything pretty a console can display, a good PC can do much better.

In terms of cheating, they're STILL using Gameguard, which sure helped out in the early stages of PSU...

Mike
Jun 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
Is this Sega's first F2P?
No. PSU went F2P and PSO2 is somewhat similar to the system it became, from what I've gleamed about PSU's Guardian Cash system. Sega has also run other F2P games including one on the Vita.

Akaimizu
Jun 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
There's also their Phantasy Star mobage Web game, which is sort of a turn-based community version. Also with the F2P model.

Samurai and dragons looks a lot like the iPhone game Kingdoms Conquest, also by SEGA. Also a F2P model. I would guess Samurai and Dragons is a spiritual successor with improved graphics.

JeyKama
Jun 26, 2012, 10:57 PM
Ah, it was still subscription-based when I stopped playing. At least they have some exp to make the dive.

It's interesting since the (terrible) menu interface is basically made-for-console, but how many f2p games have you seen on a console?

ZIE creations
Jun 26, 2012, 11:05 PM
It's interesting since the (terrible) menu interface is basically made-for-console, but how many f2p games have you seen on a console?

The menu system is made so you can use a kb/m or a gamepad with ease since the community is going to be half and half.

A console version is unlikely not because of specs (they are putting it on a vita, you think specs are really the issue?) or because of slower updates (Sony requires a 4 month pre-plan for updates, talk to Dungeon Defenders dev. for proof, note this is going to be on Vita) But mainly the cross platform isn't supported among net frames. PSN isn't designed to work with Xbox Live's network and vice-versa. I don't think SEGA or the devs want to split the game up again like they did before with 3 different servers running "unique" versions of the game which really slowed down development on anything. I feel a console version could be available in the next generation of consoles in 1-2 years when conflicts won't arise and I'm sure the next xbox will be using a modified windows platform which would run PC games anyways...

LoN_Lina
Jun 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
In terms of development, it's more efficient to code for Android/PC(and apparently Vita uses the same tools as Android). Cross-platform play seems to be one of their selling points of this game, and you can't do that on consoles (ever tried to play a friend on a PS3 from your xBox or Wii?... I didn't think so)

Also with it being geared for android it can be converted to Linux/Unix based which means we can port that baby into Linux and newer versions of Mac. Note this is a user based port so Sega will not agree with it but with PSU they didn't intend to stop it. Which with a user port on to additional OS platforms Sega stands to gain a massive user base. Now if they fix ARKS so we can get some they have gold on their hands.