PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running this game with an Nvidia?

KayinKento
Jun 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'm curious; I'm planning on upgrading to an SLI rig instead of sticking with Radeon cause I want my PhysX back in some of my games hehe. Anyway, my question is for those who're running on an Nvidia GTX series that has a physx generator, are you noticing anything from it? As in possibly more smoke? More particles flying about? Better disintegration for enemies you kill? Better looking skill effects?

I'm just mainly asking to pretty much determine how soon I'll want to get my cards.

Lostbob117
Jun 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
I'm running it with a nvidia GT6200. But I don't use a physx generator I think. Also can you explain more about a generator lol. Do you mean power supply?

Vylera
Jun 27, 2012, 02:30 PM
I have not played PSO2 with a Radeon card, but I have experience highly boosted graphical effects in other MMOs I have played after I switched out of my Radeon to a GTX.

Perhaps if you could take some screenshots of launcher explosions or force fire PAs I could compare them and tell you if you're missing anything.

PSO2 was optimized for NVIDIA graphics cards, though, so the probability of enhanced particles is pretty high.

NVIDIA generally has better drivers geared specifically towards games to begin with, so in all honesty I'd recommend making the switch as soon as possible.

Though, depending on your processor speed and what games you plan on running besides PSO2, and which cards you plan on SLIing, I'm not sure it's worth your money. GTX 400 series and 500 series single cards can already handle PSO2 beyond good enough.

burende
i compared the game on my high end Laptop with my desktop running SLI 550T's and it looks insanely better, cant go wrong with Physx eye candy

Jazneo
i have geforce GTS 450 and it runing smooth and this game support nivida graphic cards

Khabarakh
Jun 27, 2012, 02:31 PM
nvidia geforce 9800 gt. Old-school and still runs the game fantastically. The game really is not too requirement heavy.

I wouldn't use anything other than an nvidia, honestly

Jazneo
Jun 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'm running it with a nvidia GT6200. But I don't use a physx generator I think. Also can you explain more about a generator lol. Do you mean power supply?

how much ram you have and what your processor if your processor slower then your card then you bottle neck your computer

Noxia
Jun 27, 2012, 02:35 PM
Nvidia GeForce GTX470 n.n
Im' running the game at full graphics, 1920x1200

Lostbob117
Jun 27, 2012, 02:35 PM
I have 1gb of ram DDR1 lol also .5 more ram for the video ram which counts as normal ram pretty much on games. My processer I think intel something.

Vylera
Jun 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
I have 1gb of ram DDR1 lol also .5 more ram for the video ram which counts as normal ram pretty much on games. My processer I think intel something.

You're due for an upgrade. You could buy a $600 laptop that would dominate the specs on your current system.

And to answer your previous question, the PhysX Generator is a special driver feature exclusive to NVIDIA graphics cards. If your drivers are outdated, you probably don't have it.

Lostbob117
Jun 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
Why would I waste $600 dollars when I could get only like a few new parts for $60 which I am doing.

Vylera
Jun 27, 2012, 02:50 PM
Why would I waste $600 dollars when I could get only like a few new parts for $60 which I am doing.

I don't think upgrading 1 gig of ram on a GT6200 with an IDK intel processor is going to be worth your money.

That system needs to be dumped for a system that has REAL upgrading potential.

In which case you wouldn't even get a laptop.

And I'd be worried if you're somehow making a substantial upgrade with only $60. The only thing you can get for under $60 is 8 gigs of ram.

Lostbob117
Jun 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
1gig of ram doesn't cost $60, I'm getting a new motherboard , 4gigs of DDR3 ram and a power supply for under $60 cause I know where to look for parts.

Ueno54
Jun 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
I have an old 240 GT and don't have any problems running it on default. Could probably go higher if I wasn't worried about other hardware issues I've had recently.

thablinksta
Jun 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
integrated graphics ftw

Vylera
Jun 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
integrated graphics ftw

PSO2 runs on integrated graphics?

Holy crap.

Shadownami92
Jun 27, 2012, 03:42 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this game runs on my Geforce 9600 :D

Granted I do run it at a smaller window mode, mainly because I like to have IM windows and guides, and only have a single screen. That and I sort of prefer it. It's easier on the eyes when I play TPS mode.

KayinKento
Jun 27, 2012, 04:17 PM
I have not played PSO2 with a Radeon card, but I have experience highly boosted graphical effects in other MMOs I have played after I switched out of my Radeon to a GTX.

Perhaps if you could take some screenshots of launcher explosions or force fire PAs I could compare them and tell you if you're missing anything.

PSO2 was optimized for NVIDIA graphics cards, though, so the probability of enhanced particles is pretty high.

NVIDIA generally has better drivers geared specifically towards games to begin with, so in all honesty I'd recommend making the switch as soon as possible.

Though, depending on your processor speed and what games you plan on running besides PSO2, and which cards you plan on SLIing, I'm not sure it's worth your money. GTX 400 series and 500 series single cards can already handle PSO2 beyond good enough.

Well just checked back after stressing on these S rank timed missions. Here's some screenshot I took in caves:

[SPOILER-BOX]
Foie:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/ZhaoNeon/pso20120627_170341_003.png

GiGrants:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/ZhaoNeon/pso20120627_170431_007.png

Barta:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/ZhaoNeon/pso20120627_170740_008.png

RaBarta:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/ZhaoNeon/pso20120627_170751_010.png

GiBarta:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/ZhaoNeon/pso20120627_170746_009.png

RaZonde:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/ZhaoNeon/pso20120627_170810_011.png

Anti:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/ZhaoNeon/pso20120627_170823_012.png

Resta:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/ZhaoNeon/pso20120627_170833_013.png
[/SPOILER-BOX]

I chose these since they're the most visually appealing imo. If someone wouldn't mind doing a screenshot in comparison as well, would be awesome. (^_^)

gravityvx
Jun 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
My force is low but I'm pretty sure I have most of those spells, I will take a few screens in a min, will edit this post when done. Card will be a gtx 460 with all settings on and maxed.

Edit: Alright, you'll have to excuse where I took the shots since my force is only 2, seemed like best spot :p I dunno if the effect of the spells change as you or they level but just in case they do, keep that in mind that I'm only 2.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/qIlxs.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/JfY4k.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/hS0TS.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/MpXdl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/y3xmk.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/PBhFH.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/wezgu.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/oWgsj.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2012, 04:22 PM

I have a Radeon card, but it's not a terribly high one. AKA Budget card. HD 5670 1GB by HIS. On max settings I can break about 50-60 fps constantly on PSO 2, unless in battle, but I've never seen it dip below 35, which is very impressive.

eharima
Jun 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
SLI GTX460's here looks great maximum overmax settings forced runs at 45% each card 1920 dual monitor, as SLI wont run 3 dafuq

Ghalion
Jun 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
nvidia geforce 9800 gt. Old-school and still runs the game fantastically. The game really is not too requirement heavy.

I wouldn't use anything other than an nvidia, honestly

*hifive* I'm the same way..only I'm using an 8800GT.. still works great.

DreXxiN
Jun 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Running an Nvidia GTX470, game runs amazing.

Ryo
Jun 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
Running a GTX680, game looks/runs fantastic.

Mag-X
Jun 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
Running dual GTX 470s. The game looks sooooo much better than when I run it on my laptop with Intel HD 3000 graphics. It's shocking how bad some of you guys' screen shots look.

I'm not sure what all PhysX does. Someone with more initiative than me should make a comparison video.

Ryock
Jun 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
Much better with physx. I run a Nvidia geforce gtx465, and the difference between this and my Radeon is night and day. Also, from my experience, Radeon's horrible. Just never had very good experiences with it.

Hayde
Jun 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
GTX560Ti, runs fine with everything cranked up @1920x1080. Temps remain at 60-65c under load (will some times spike to 70 if there's a huge amount of explosions and players).

PhysX is decent, but I have nothing to compare it to--I use Nvidia all around the house and have not seen an AMD/ATI card in about 3 years now.

For those curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

Geistritter
Jun 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
Proudly running this on a 9600 GT at 1024 x 768 virtual full screen, on my shitty legacy monitor. I don't need your PhysX and your huge resolutions!

I mean, I probably could run it on higher settings - this game's hardly taxing on one's system - but I'm just not interested enough to find out. "Does it work? Yes? Good enough."

Mantiskilla
Jun 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
Running a GTX680, game looks/runs fantastic.

Yeah I have that card still boxed up and can't decide if I want to wait till I get another one for SLI on my Racing PC Rig (currently uses 2 560Ti SLI) or go ahead and install it on my PC in my bedroom. Tough decision

Much better with physx. I run a Nvidia geforce gtx465, and the difference between this and my Radeon is night and day. Also, from my experience, Radeon's horrible. Just never had very good experiences with it.

I dunno my Radeon 7990 HD on my bedroom PC works fantastic with all the non racing sim games i play. Use Nvidia stuff on my Racing PC however b/c Physx makes the racing sims a lot more realistic and runs better on 3 monitor setup w/ SLI

Zyrusticae
Jun 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
FYI, the game barely uses any PhysX at all. It's currently only used for cloth and hair simulation, nothing else. There's no other physics objects for PhysX to act on.

Mantiskilla
Jun 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
FYI, the game barely uses any PhysX at all. It's currently only used for cloth and hair simulation, nothing else. There's no other physics objects for PhysX to act on.

Yeah that would make sense. Well then I'll just stick with my 7990 HD for now. It's more than enough anyways and I'll save the 680 for after I get my 2nd one. Now the question is what the heck am I gonna do with 2 560Ti graphics cards? Guess I'll save em

Aeris
Jun 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Game uses it own psychic's processor, also SLI runs up to 2-3 x16 PCI-e cards, only can go up to 3 on older cards (running at 8x + 8x + 16x), newer ones can usually only do 2 for SLI since its 16x + 16x, over kill if trying to do 3 16x and too much power usuage, also running the game on a laptop with a Geforce GTX 260M, plays fine with nearly at all settings maxed out at 1280 x 720 in windowed mode, full screen at 1366 x 768 gives me the same results since its widescreen.

KayinKento
Jun 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
My force is low but I'm pretty sure I have most of those spells, I will take a few screens in a min, will edit this post when done. Card will be a gtx 460 with all settings on and maxed.

Thanks for the screenshots. I'm comparing the screenshots and the efx seem virtually the same. From what I've noticed though, your Resta has just a few more floating particles than mine.

Yeah, now looking at the screenshot of gravityvx, yeah you're right. I haven't seen much cloth simulation since usually its all hard armor for the most part, but I have noticed my hair is pretty blocky when I'm jumping. I suppose that's where the PhysX is all going.

With that said, does anyone wish to do a short video with a character with long hair to see if there's much of a difference. Hehe sorry for being so demanding guys, I just find this stuff so fascinating :P

gravityvx
Jun 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
I'll make a quick one later tonight when I'm able to get back online.

Dxluv
Jun 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
This game does not use PhysX, and as a matter of fact not a great many of games do. PhysX is not used for most of the physics calculations in the games it's used in, simply because it's an Nvidia exclusive, and integrating it so would be limiting the game's availability - AMD and others could not play. Not to mention complex PhysX effects require a super expensive card or a dedicated PhysX card. Instead, PhysX is about rewarding Nvidia users in certain games with extra little graphical gimmicks, like a bunch of particles and bits interacting with each other, simulated cloth, paper, liquid and smoke. And yeah, these are advanced physics calculations, but not part of the game's main physics engine. Games that use it typically make it known before their release by featuring the PhysX logo in advertisements. The PhysX logo will also show up in the opening movies or in trailers for the game.

But a bit on the same page, a neat little trick I do to help with the image quality is to turn on FXAA from the Nvidia Control Panel. It's cheaper to process than the game's AA solution, so it makes the game perform better if used instead, and covers everything from the motion blur to the transparencies, which don't typically get the AA treatment. The only bad things about FXAA is that it softens the entire image and that its AA solution isn't -quite- as strong as the regular one. But I found that it made things look more polished because it applies the AA to more objects and effects, resulting in a more even-looking image. The game is a bit too sharp looking by default in my opinion, even at 1080p, so the softening it helped. There are tons of tweaks you can do in the control panel though, and you can even put FXAA on top of the game's AA solution for super slickness.

And just because I'm worried that I'm speaking gibberish, AA, or anti-aliasing, is the processing technique used to soften edges and lines in games. It gets rid of the "jaggies".

A couple of little tweaks that some of you may want to do can be found in the user.pso2 file in your documents\sega\phantasystaronline2 folder. Open it with notepad. Some of these will enhance the already good looking "5" setting. It's recommended that you change the settings to "5" before you tweak.

},
Screen = {
InterfaceSize = 2,
MaxScale = 1,
PreferredScale = 1.4,
ReferenceResolution = {
Y = 1080,
X = 1920,

On the X and Y, change it to the resolution you play the game in. That helps change the HUD. It makes it less bulky and puts it in better definition. But it also makes it smaller (or bigger) than the default Y=720, X=1280. I think it looks cleaner, but some may prefer more visibility.

},
Draw = {
ShaderQuality = true,
Shadow = {
Quality = "high",

},
TextureResolution = 2,
Function = {
Blur = true,
LightGeoGraphy = true,
Reflection = true,
LightShaft = true,
SoftParticle = true,
Bloom = true,
Depth = true,
LightEffect = true,
AntiAliasing = false,

Change any false to true, unless of course you don't want a feature. Some of these aren't turned on even when you select "5" in the graphics slider. In that case you have to navigate Japanese menus in-game to get to them, which isn't hard, but this is simpler.

},
Windows = {
FullScreen = true,
Height3d = 480,
Height = 1080,
VirtualFullScreen = false,
Width3d = 640,
Width = 1920,

This will change your game's definition. For full screen gaming, it's usually best to set the values to match your monitor's native definition. Height is Y and Width is X. I don't know what the 3D stuff is really. FullScreen should be set to true if you want to game in full screen, then false on VirtualFullScreen - vice versa if you want Virtual Full Screen gaming, which I believe is a window without borders. False on both if you want windowed.

And just for clarity, put "false" (without quotations) where you see "true" (without quotations) and vice versa.

Sorry if this is patronizing or seemingly obvious, but who knows who stumbles upon this stuff. I like to be clear so that they are not confused.

DoubleCannon
Jun 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
I am running it on a GTX 550 Ti and the game is amazing! best 120 bucks spent with a 25 dollar rebate lol. Runs D3 in max settings and this it had it default at 3 shader? i just left it but game looks amazing plus it runs very smooth! Love it

Polantaris
Jun 28, 2012, 08:09 PM
Curious to anyone who has the setup: Does PSO2 support the 3 monitor extra wide screen deal? I know a lot of more recent games support it, but I have no idea how popular that setup is in Japan (Probably not very). Still, I would love to know, I was considering trying to get that kind of setup in the future.

Finalzone
Jun 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
Running the game with Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 v2 on 1280x1080 resolution due to the old 19inch LCD ViewSonic monitor that stil looks crisp.

RedRaz0r
Jun 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
To answer the topic: Hell no.

Xenobia
Jun 29, 2012, 12:54 PM
PhysX is not the only progam able to execute GPU based calculations such as physics. There is another program called Havoc but most japanese developers never heard of it because they appreciate Nvidias Dev Kits and support which comes free and without hassle.

PhysX is a proprietary software, however, some foreigner programer tried to implement PhysX even on AMD cards but AMD didnt want to give any support for and Nvidia probably would want to get license fees. It goes against AMDs mentality to use proprietary software. Finally, Havoc could be a standart for every hardware but Nvidia wont support it. So we have some screwed up and half a**ed standarts and both is kinda broken because the majority of the games wont support PhysX because AMD GPUs are not supporting it. Nvidia is boosting that issue by giving away free dev kits and they will do everything they can in order to spread PhysX. However, i just wanted to tell that PhysX is just a program and nothing else, its not rocket science and its even able to be replaced by other programs.

Some years ago it was possible to combine a AMD card with a Nvidia PhysX GPU. The GPU which is handling PhysX doesnt need to be strong at all in term its the only task which is performed. However, Nvidia locked down that option** nowadays and the only possibility to still enable that feature would be a driver-hack. **they said because of stability issues, but truth is that Nvidia just dont want AMD to sell cards in a PhysX capable PC. Instead of getting both cards, it should be Nvidia only.

The reason why to use PhysX on a GPU is because the GPUs FPU performance (GFLOP) is more than 10-20 times stronger than the one from most CPUs. However, told already, PhysX is not the only program able to calculate physics using a GPU. Still, the effective physics performance is just a fraction of the full GPU performance because rendering is still taking most of the cards ressources, ultimately we may lose lot of performance by using GPU based physics.

PhysX can sometimes give a bling, but only on a few games and the majority may never own such a game where it could be of use. So... its of less importance than most of the people actually think.

KanekoSaya
Jun 29, 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm running this game with Nvdia and no problems with the game.

Noobalert
Jun 29, 2012, 01:16 PM
I'm Running a Single GTX 680, and it absolutely crushes this game. Going to Bump up to a 2nd GTX 680, but that only because I'm moving to a Nvidia Surround setup soon, and the 2nd card will help out in more demanding games like GW2 running @ 5960 x 1200

This game never Pushes the card past 61% and never breaks 600 gigs of ram usage from what I've seen running MSI Afterburner.

PhysX is just a Marketing Gimmick, a 7970, and a Gtx 680 will both crush this game, and you cant tell the difference playing this game from one card to the other. You can get a 7970 openbox on new egg for under 400 bucks, and it will run better then most Gtx 580 Sli setups, but if you have your heart set on making the switch to Nvidia. Now is a good time since you can easily find them in stock.

Screens
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7255/7468116844_2ca0d8f2d5_h.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8142/7468121972_775c637ad6_h.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8157/7468161282_6afbba0772_h.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8014/7468156306_f6bff6c9ba_h.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Xenobia
Jun 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
PSO2 runs on integrated graphics?

Holy crap.

Yes it does... the requirement is close to zero for gamer terms. In about 5 years some smartphones could probably run the PC engine. ;)

Additionaly, people should not worry about PhysX, there is no advantage in PSO2 i could know of. It doesnt use PhysX because thats way to advanced and it could never stay at such low requirements using it. Its true, the game may run 10-20% better on a Nvidia GPU (Sega used a Nvidia dev kit) but as soon as a GPU does surpass the performance of a 560 GTX/7850 it doesnt matter anymore because as soon as it does exceed those cards its usualy overkill.

Scyris
Jun 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
I have a GTX 560 1gb gddr gigabye card, and in missions on maxxed graphics 1080p I get like 125 fps, with dips down to like 80-85 in heavy fight scenes. You don't need sli for pso2 at all. The fps in the lobby is kinda haywired though, it drops down to 20 while its loading players then goes back up to 125.. till I move. There needs to be some more optimization done in the lobbys I think. If you are going to SLi I'd reccomend 2 GTX-560 1gb cards, they about 200 bucks each but it'll last you for years.

Here is the exact card I have in my system atm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125383

Also I'd never reccomend a radeon to anyone, too many issues getting them to work properly, half the time you need special tweaks or special new drivers just to get it to run shit half-assed. I switched from radeon to Nvidia cards and never looked back. a Geforce card just plays anything I throw at it without needing any special fixes or anything of the sort. Yeah Geforce cards cost a bit more than a radeon, but at least you know your getting something that is going to work without a hitch. The Radeon hardware is good, the problem is that the drivers suck ass compared to the nvidia ones, Good hardware is only as good as the software that runs it.

Xenobia
Jun 30, 2012, 12:20 AM
The worse lobby FPS is not related to hardware power, you answered yourself: Good hardware is only as good as the software that runs it... thats the case for the PSO lobby.

The point about "worse" AMD driver is true, but it doesnt mean that games cant be run properly. It simply may need some tweaking, but its not only AMDs fault, the dev support is generaly inferior. The game itself is just as important as a piece of software such as the drivers.

Anyway, things will change, you will soon see. Especially because the next gen consoles could all be run on AMD chips and the devs will be forced to support it, else they gonna be down the roof. ;) So we finally see both hardware at the max possibility, which is pretty real for future. When that is done, both GPUs can be equal. I have high hopes because AMD improved matters already. It was worse than that in the past. The whole story is only game related. As a GPGPU hardware Nvidia is losing bottom every single year... and cant anymore fully compare.

DreXxiN
Jun 30, 2012, 12:58 AM
@NoobAlert: Good God, good thing it doesn't use over 600GB of RAM. :P