PDA

View Full Version : How can Ranger Solo boss quickly ?

Alkung
Jun 27, 2012, 08:42 PM
I play as ranger and I have quest to solo Vol Dragon (actually with NPC but I consider it as solo)

I can kill it but it take a lot of time (more than 15 minutes).

I have try to break it's tail first but it also take about 10 minutes to just break it.

Now I have 240 dmg launcher , 200 dmg Rifle and 180 dmg gunblade.

My active skill is weak bullet.

Is there any special ability suggestion to add in the weapon ? or how should I upgrade myself to fight the boss ?

Thank you.

Randomness
Jun 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
Hmm... Vol Dragon's feet can be "frozen", but I'm not sure if it's actually freeze or a reaction to ice damage (Having seen it mainly from myself and others dropping Rabarta under it, and being unsure if Freeze Ignition triggers off it). It's potentially a faster disable than the tail break, but doesn't reset his armor (and thus move back from him flying up and firing a massive explosion).

Mostly, get more damage (grinding, synthing, transferring). You already have Weak Shot.

For the rifle, use the snipe PA (that makes you crawl), because it has the highest single-point damage for the weapon, and thus is best with Weak Shot.

Basically, focus on how much your PAs are doing - some are harder to use but offer high damage.

Rizen
Jun 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Having better weapons is nice, but overall, killing speed is determined by how well you know your enemies. Biggest and most important thing about capitalizing your damage as a Ranger is learning how enemies move. Secondly, learn their weak points. Lastly, since you mentioned Weak Bullet, timing.

Why in that order? You may already know or stumbled upon weak points of enemies such as their head or shiny spots, but certain enemies expose weak points when they move or have points that are easier to hit than others. Once you are good enough, you can start using Weak Bullet + Sniper Shot combo to land some huge hits on enemies and take them down with ease.

With Vol Dragon, if you are trying to break the tail, it will take time regardless of how powerful you weapon is. It moves around quite a bit if you are soloing so actually hitting it can be a pain in the neck. So don't worry about that too much. Personally, I skip breaking the tail and go for the kill.

As far as killing quicker... head seems to be the easiest and most obvious thing to hit for more damage. Just apply Weak Bullet and hammer away with your best weapon and techs.

If you want more in-depth, I will gladly elaborate more.

Randomness
Jun 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
The head is also a good choice for Weak Bullet target because it usually faces you to attack.

Alkung
Jun 28, 2012, 04:01 AM
Thank you, can I have more information about sniper shot ?

What is that skill ? and how can I get it ?

Inaruna
Jun 28, 2012, 05:15 AM
Sneak Shot is probably one of the better Photon Arts when used with Weak Bullet on bosses. You can either find it or buy it from a player as it's a Photon Art and not something you get from the skill tree.

Also I'm pretty sure you don't have to solo run for that quest as long as the other people are players, but you can only have that single NPC. I know Lisa and Maloo both have a quest for the Vol Dragon.

As far as killing quicker... head seems to be the easiest and most obvious thing to hit for more damage. Just apply Weak Bullet and hammer away with your best weapon and techs.To be more exact, the horn would be the better target from what I've seen.

dilakri87
Jun 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
This is what I do:

Weak Bullet on head / horn / tail, then burst away with that rifle PA which shoots like 10 rounds in 2 secs. I normaly go for the tail first, so that i can burst on the horns when the dragon is regaining.

Since i have 2 loads on weak bullet, i do this 2 times for heavy damage.

Wait for cooldown, shoot shoot shoot dodge.

Repeat above until boss is dead.

For more DPS: higher character level obviously, higher weak shot level, equipment with shooting and skill ability, grinded weapons and shifta drink

Alkung
Jun 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
Anyone have picture of Sniper Shot / Sneak Shot skill or its japanese name ?

I don't know if I have the skill or not and the server is down. T _ T

Flevalt
Jun 28, 2012, 07:56 AM
Attacking the head deals a lot of damage and I heard attacking the tail should be the better target once it turns into fire armor.

Easiest way to kill any boss is to get your Weak hit advance up and your weak bullet.

Then you can shoot up to 3 weak bullets, switch to rocket launcher and deal 2k-2.5k damage each hit.
That's actually the highest damage I've seen myself or anyone else dish out yet.
Still takes forever for me to get one of those damn dragons down.

Geistritter
Jun 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
Note that while it can involve more waiting than is perhaps efficient at times, you can actually use PAs without costing you a Weak Shot bullet, so if you have enough points into the skill to have more than one shot, you can tag a spot, Just Attack into a few PAs, then tag again for increased duration, or to a new spot after a broken target, as breaking an enemy part will cancel Weak Shot's effect.

It has more use in a party, where you can actually indirectly increase the group's overall damage even if you have to wait around doing nothing for your PP to recharge because you don't want to waste a shot.

As for the dragon, go for his head unless he goes super armor on you, in which case, blow off his tail crystal and then go for the head while he's trying to address that. You may be better off switching to a Gunblade when Weak Shot isn't up to use Thrillsplosion (スリラープロード) or Rage Dance (レイジダンス); Sneak Shoot is pretty poor without a Weak Shot behind it (and it's really not that great otherwise; the above-mentioned two to three thousand damage is pretty mediocre, actually, and the work necessary to make a weapon capable of pushing that closer to five thousand is probably better off put toward another weapon, unless you're made of money), and Rangers don't have many other decent, accurate options. Unfortunately, they also don't naturally get the stat learning Gunblades' PAs require (which I assume is Slashing, but it could be Ability; I actually haven't checked), so you've kind of got your hands tied either way.

Of course, if you don't have any Ice element weapons, I suggest you hit up the player shops and start there. I wouldn't recommend breaking the bank at your level in an attempt to make an amazing weapon, but getting a decent element modifier and a couple of grinds will make some difference.

Flevalt
Jun 28, 2012, 09:38 AM
As for the dragon, go for his head unless he goes super armor on you, in which case, blow off his tail crystal and then go for the head while he's trying to address that. You may be better off switching to a Gunblade when Weak Shot isn't up to use Thrillsplosion (スリラープロード) or Rage Dance (レイジダンス); Sneak Shoot is pretty poor without a Weak Shot behind it (and it's really not that great otherwise; the above-mentioned two to three thousand damage is pretty mediocre, actually, and the work necessary to make a weapon capable of pushing that closer to five thousand is probably better off put toward another weapon, unless you're made of money), and Rangers don't have many other decent, accurate options. Unfortunately, they also don't naturally get the stat learning Gunblades' PAs require (which I assume is Slashing, but it could be Ability; I actually haven't checked), so you've kind of got your hands tied either way.

How is a 2-3k damage output per hit mediocre? I can understand if you're a Force with ignition that you could go higher up(aside from that it can't be used on the dragon from what I've heard) but otherwise that's a crapload of damage dealt in a reasonable amount of time.
The only thing better I could imagine is if you have weak bullet lvl10 and spam your Sneak shot.

Inaruna
Jun 28, 2012, 09:38 AM
Anyone have picture of Sniper Shot / Sneak Shot skill or its japanese name ?
http://i.imgur.com/a3qiE.jpg

スニークシュート

How is a 2-3k damage output per hit mediocre? I can understand if you're a Force with ignition that you could go higher up(aside from that it can't be used on the dragon from what I've heard) but otherwise that's a crapload of damage dealt in a reasonable amount of time.
The only thing better I could imagine is if you have weak bullet lvl10 and spam your Sneak shot.Force could easily do 2k~ with Ra Fioe or Ra Zonde if a ranger uses weak bullet.

oifjustus
Jun 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
Weak Bullet + Sniper shot on weak points wrecks anything..

Geistritter
Jun 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
The only thing better I could imagine is if you have weak bullet lvl10 and spam your Sneak shot.

The key part of your stance is "what I've seen", which isn't much. My pal plays a Force and outdamages me by an embarrassing amount; he was dealing 2600 damage not long after level 10. Granted, a lot of this is because Rangers are the only class that doesn't get any souls that cater to them whatsoever, while Forces and Hunters can look forward to 20-40 more of their attack stat per piece of equipment, so that's kind of annoying.

Despite this, even certain Rangers, which I'd be inclined to say is the weakest class as far as pure damage is concerned, have been hitting for 5000 or more with an appropriately enhanced weapon. So yeah, 3000 damage is actually nothing in particular to get excited about, especially when bosses have a few dozen times that.

That said, Rangers have the best indirect damage through Weak Shot, because the double damage everyone else is doing wouldn't be possible without it, but that doesn't make two to three thousand damage in and of itself much of a contribution.

Rizen
Jun 28, 2012, 07:58 PM
To be more exact, the horn would be the better target from what I've seen.
You are absolutely right. I have noticed this too, but people seem to favor the head over anything else, so I just left it at head.