PDA

View Full Version : Pinky getting sore from having to hold in shift so much.

Scrub
Jun 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
Anybody here use a controller? I got a 360 controller around here somewhere, is this game actually playable using a controller or are you gimping yourself? Is there a button map somewhere? TIA.

Nu Lo Yin
Jun 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
I bought a controller from best buy for $20 and it works just like playing on a console. Plugs in USB and works right out of the box

jtenma
Jun 27, 2012, 09:01 PM
Yup, controller. This is why I love PSO2 and hate keyboard and mouse. Full native controller support that actually displays the buttons from a PS3 controller or 360 controller.

I always wondered how people can claim kb/m is the end all be all.....

Aeris
Jun 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
I play with the mouse and keyboard for ranger, i don't have a 360 or PS3 controller.

ciroth
Jun 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Yup, controller. This is why I love PSO2 and hate keyboard and mouse. Full native controller support that actually displays the buttons from a PS3 controller or 360 controller.

Cuz noone that plays on a kb/m even binds map to shift... its M. Pop it up and pop it down. easy.

Getting tired? hit V twice, follow the nearest member. while you sort your inventory.

Xaeris
Jun 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
I use a 360 controller. Scrolling the subpalette is a bit of a pain in the ass, but otherwise, it works superbly.

The Awesomeinator
Getting tired? hit V twice, follow the nearest member. while you sort your inventory.

Oh. My.

GODS.

I never knew this- thank you so much.

Macman
Kb/m is great for aiming. Now if only I could turn off mouse acceleration for this game...

ZIE creations
Jun 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
It's all opinion on which is better and what you play on the most, both have pros and cons. I do have to agree, my wired 360 controller which works native is really comfortable to play with ^.^

BIG OLAF
Jun 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
Controller is vastly superior in my opinion. I love it.

Also, yes, 'V' key = your best friend in missions.

PAZUZU
Jun 27, 2012, 09:11 PM
I use a wired 360 controller and it works great with PSO2. I customised it a bit in the options menu, and still use the number keys on the keyboard when there's a lot going on.

The Awesomeinator
Jun 27, 2012, 09:11 PM

Some people like the larger amount of buttons and hotkeys for different functions.

Also, a mouse is much more accurate for FPS/TPS games than a controller.

Home Dog
Jun 27, 2012, 09:14 PM
I use the V key every time I have to brb. Just so I can stay caught up. And free EXP!

Scrub
Alright I'll give it a try, does anyone have a big list of what eahc of the buttons do for a 360 controller or do you have to manually configure it?

jtenma
Cuz noone that plays on a kb/m even binds map to shift... its M. Pop it up and pop it down. easy.

My hands still cramp having them hover over a keyboard period. How anyone can even claim a kb/m is better for this type of game is beyond me.

Maximum comfort. Maximum control....Controllers rule!

Naaah I just wanted to say maximum a couple of times....dont mind me. :shy:

Macman
Jun 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
I don't know what kind of bizarre keyboard setup you have jtenma but I have never gotten a cramp in the several years I've been playing PC games.

Scrub
Jun 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
I started out playing Ranger and I was just in TPS mode the entire time so it carried over when i switched over to playing Force.

Just this morning though i discovered 'wow this game is fucking brainless when i just use the autolock shit instead of TPS mode for force.'

ashley50
You must be new to Keyboard/mouse gaming.

Coatl
Controller is great!
I can't even write a detailed post besides making the point that it works very nice.
That is, in zoomed out mode. You are heavily going to gimp yourself playing with a controller in zoomed in mode.

Crimson Exile
Jun 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
I don't know what kind of bizarre keyboard setup you have jtenma but I have never gotten a cramp in the several years I've been playing PC games.
Lol I agree Keyboards been treating me good

sugarFO
Jun 27, 2012, 09:20 PM
I have trouble with my wrists (pain and numbness if I use a mouse too long) so using a controller lets me play the game longer. If you are having any soreness or pain, switch to a controller and see how it feels. I'm much happier with it.

jtenma
Jun 27, 2012, 09:21 PM

Using WASD to move is alien to me. Also lack of analog movement.

You guys are gonna think im weird (if you havent already), but I have a confession to make:

If I absolutely have to use a mouse for a game that doesnt support gamepads or is better with a mouse, I use a gamepad in my left... and a mouse in my right...

EDIT: even tho the mouse still hurts.... ;A;

So I get the best of both worlds. OH MY GOD PLEASE DONT THINK IM WEIRD.:-(

Scrub
Jun 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
You must be new to Keyboard/mouse gaming.

i am literally on my computer any time in not sleeping or at work. i just have to hold down shift CONSTANTLY and I am a small man with small hands so it is a big pain in the ass.

the same thing happened when i went back to WoW, after playing for a few days my pinky was dying from shift so badly that i switched my entire button layout around and started dropping some spells from my rotation so i would have to press shift less often haha.

Angelo
Jun 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
Anybody here use a controller? I got a 360 controller around here somewhere, is this game actually playable using a controller or are you gimping yourself? Is there a button map somewhere? TIA.

Depends on what class you're playing. Hunters actually excel when using a controller.

I know I've said it in another thread before, but the Cideko Conqueror is a Godsend for this game:

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/reviews/cideko_conqueror/front.jpg

Macman
Jun 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
. i just have to hold down shift CONSTANTLY and I am a small man with small hands so it is a big pain in the ass.
Why do you have to hold shift so much? You only need to tap it for a moment to access your back palette.

Rizen
Jun 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
I'm biased in terms of keyboard vs gamepad. For TPS and FPS games, I always favor keyboard and mouse.

I can see where Hunters would prefer gamepad.

jtenma
Jun 27, 2012, 09:25 PM
But yea this entire game can be operated with a game pad. Menus and everything. The only time you'll even need to touch a keyboard would be when you need to scratch a card or type in chat.

You can even press scroll lock once to have your keyboard stay locked to chat while you game on your controller. No need to press enter.

Scrub
Jun 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Why do you have to hold shift so much? You only need to tap it for a moment to access your back palette.

Not LITERALLY constantly but any time i want to cast anything that isnt whatever spell I have on right click I have to press it. Unfortunately I am not able to quite win the game with only one spell (please buff forces SEGA, as this is unacceptable and betrays the PSO legacy) so sometimes I have to do the unthinkable and press shift.

ashley50
Jun 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
i am literally on my computer any time in not sleeping or at work. i just have to hold down shift CONSTANTLY and I am a small man with small hands so it is a big pain in the ass.

the same thing happened when i went back to WoW, after playing for a few days my pinky was dying from shift so badly that i switched my entire button layout around and started dropping some spells from my rotation so i would have to press shift less often haha.

Oh yeah...I wasn't referring to you, Sorry. It's supposed to be for the OP.

PAZUZU
Jun 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
I have trouble with my wrists (pain and numbness if I use a mouse too long) so using a controller lets me play the game longer. If you are having any soreness or pain, switch to a controller and see how it feels. I'm much happier with it.

The original PSO on the Dreamcast left me almost crippled, that controller was torturous! Plus it only had one damned stick.

The 360 configuration in PSO2 at default is fine, I just customised the left thumbstick click to autorun (V). Here's a guide - http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-options-guide/#control

Grim55
Jun 27, 2012, 09:38 PM
I use the KB and the mouse, i had to stop playing due to my fingers cramping..i do have a pc controller but i do enjoy using the KB and mouse...may try the controller at some point. and my pinky hurt not from holding shift but just from holding the mouse...think i play for at least 18 hours straight. Why does this game have to be so good?

Chik'Tikka
Jun 27, 2012, 09:41 PM
This, in TPS mode, with a gears vet that hates CoD/Halo auto aim = blissful weak-spot domination+^_^+
http://deltagamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/gears3controller-595x384.jpg
A= jump/Cancel, B=interact/select, X=normal atk, Y=1st PA, RB=shift key, RT=dash/evade, Start=main menus, Back=player menus, d-pad up down=select wep pallets, d-pad left right while pallets are open=select number pallets (items's and special abilities), R3=TPS in/out, LB=lock on (isometric view only), LT=i forget, d-pad can also be used to navigate all menus with B acting like left click and A acting like backspace. these are the default layout BTW and it's very smooth+^_^+

PSO Addict
Jun 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
I imagine that the third person shooter mode would work well with the mouse but the lock on system the controller offers is fine with me. I am quite happy with the controller. You could probably also change the shift key to something else to aid your pinky.

Clunker
Jun 27, 2012, 09:46 PM
Depends on what class you're playing. Hunters actually excel when using a controller.

I know I've said it in another thread before, but the Cideko Conqueror is a Godsend for this game:

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/reviews/cideko_conqueror/front.jpg

HOLY MOTHER OF ****!

That thing is HUGE! And it has HUGE GUTS!
(Ahem)

Anyway, how much did that thing run you, and where did you find it? I don't recall it being at the local Best Buy...

Chik'Tikka
Jun 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
HOLY MOTHER OF ****!

(Ahem)

Anyway, how much did that thing run you, and where did you find it? I don't recall it being at the local Best Buy...

you think that's huge...+^_^+
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.kittytreats.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/ps2keyboard.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Deviruki
Jun 27, 2012, 09:49 PM
Right now I'm using a PS3 controller. c:
Motioninjoy and DS3 tool were a little annoying to get.

ZIE creations
Jun 27, 2012, 09:50 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.kittytreats.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/ps2keyboard.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

ok, that is just plain pointless >.<

Coatl
Jun 27, 2012, 09:50 PM

What is this I don't even..

Deviruki
Jun 27, 2012, 09:52 PM

o_o I wanna see what it's like to play with that...

Xaeris
Jun 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
HOLY MOTHER OF ****!

(Ahem)

It's not as big as you might think, actually. Or even as heavy. It runs about 100 bucks, depending where you buy.

Angelo
Jun 27, 2012, 10:00 PM
It's not as big as you might think, actually. Or even as heavy. It runs about 100 bucks, depending where you buy.

What he said. I got mine on sale through Amazon for about 80 bucks, which is about the same price I paid for this monster 10 years ago:

http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/b/ba/ASCII_Keyboard.jpg

My Cideko pad is not heavy at all, and it's very comfortable.

thablinksta
Jun 27, 2012, 10:07 PM
I actually rarely use shift/block. You have a bit of invulnerability when you dodge (especially when you level up the dodge skill) so I just try to dodge most things at the perfect moment. Works pretty well against the snake thing and dragon boss.

PSO Addict
Jun 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
I still have my monster controller upstairs! I was so excited to get it! It was much faster than using the in game keyboard. Though trying to use it now, the keys are so small.

Clunker
Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 PM
ok, that is just plain pointless >.<

I agree - that's just ridiculous!

Chik'Tikka
Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 PM
I actually rarely use shift/block. You have a bit of invulnerability when you dodge (especially when you level up the dodge skill) so I just try to dodge most things at the perfect moment. Works pretty well against the snake thing and dragon boss.

Rangers have to hold shift to access the other 2 PAs available to them+^_^+ while hunters use the PA they want by timing there strikes, for Rangers its simply a matter of holding shift and press normal attack (X on 360 pad or left click) for PA 3 and PA attack for PA 4+^_^+ i haven't played with Force yet, so i don't know if they do the same thing

Enforcer MKV
Jun 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
My hands still cramp having them hover over a keyboard period. How anyone can even claim a kb/m is better for this type of game is beyond me.

Maximum comfort. Maximum control....Controllers rule! Suit me just fine!

Naaah I just wanted to say maximum a couple of times....dont mind me. :shy:

Le fixed! :P

Inb4 rage. I PLAY BOTH! *hammertime* XD

Angelo
Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 PM

I actually use block for large enemies and bosses and dodge pretty much everything else.

Just Guard's Counter is actually pretty awesome, if you time the block it will do a tick of damage to the enemy and you can come back with a quick PA, I usually use the Sword Stun PA.

gigawuts
Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
I've played extensively with both. They're both very comparable and fine.

The default control scheme for the xbox controller is downright horrendous though. The game plays well with a dark souls control scheme, at least if you're a hunter. I just rebound the left bumper to be swap target, for those times when locking with left trigger from zelda games is the first instict I jump to. The left trigger itself is still block though, love dat parry.

Now to find functioning drivers for the chatpad so I can punch the number line on it instead of flicking through the hotbar one press at a time.

Angelo
Jun 27, 2012, 10:21 PM

The default control scheme for the xbox controller is downright horrendous though. The game plays well with a dark souls control scheme, at least if you're a hunter. I just rebound the left bumper to be swap target, for those times when locking with left trigger from zelda games is the first instict I jump to. The left trigger itself is still block though, love dat parry.

Now to find functioning drivers for the chatpad so I can punch the number line on it instead of flicking through the hotbar one press at a time.

If you're using a wired controller there are unsigned drivers out there, but they can be a bit of a hassle to set up. Every time you boot up you have to set your OS to recognize unsigned drivers.

Scrub
Jun 27, 2012, 10:21 PM
Is blocking a hunter thing? I never heard of it before but Ive only played force/ranger.

I need to try Hunter sometime but I keep hoping Im going to be able to convince one of my friends to play this game so I want to have ONE class thats level 1 that i could play with them.

FooteLV
Jun 27, 2012, 10:23 PM

I was going to make the same post!

I've done most of my playing with a gamepad and I totally agree the normal setup is horrendous (reminds me kind of of MH Tri). But after switching it to Dark Souls controls the game plays SO much better... absolutely love the gamepad.

gigawuts
Jun 27, 2012, 10:25 PM
If you're using a wired controller there are unsigned drivers out there, but they can be a bit of a hassle to set up. Every time you boot up you have to set your OS to recognize unsigned drivers.

I'm using a wireless, unfortunately. I sold my only wired controller years ago. I've bought TWO wired controllers for PS games and then sold them two or three years afterwards - one for PSO BB and the second for PSU - no way am I doing it a third time.

Well, maybe I'll cave eventually, but for now I'm fine. I just make a point to already have a mate selected, as that's usually what I need to frantically get.

catwat
Jun 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Im playing with a 360 controller with the default setup and its working good for me. Only using the keyboard the chat. The only thing i find hard to do is play with the TPS mode (i think you call it that?). I cant really move and aim and all that stuff. Way to unaccurate but thats just my skill.
Havent played this game with KB+mouse longer than 5 minutes, it just seems and plays completely wrong to me and kills the fun completely. Gamepad ftw!

Cyrusnagisa
Jun 27, 2012, 11:09 PM
this has turned into a K/M vs Controller thread really fast -.- and to be honest it is not a matter of what is better.... it is a matter of what the game was designed to work with best. In this case PSO2 was designed with both in mind, it just matters now what people are more comfortable with, I myself use a 360 controller, and love it.

gigawuts
Jun 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
this has turned into a K/M vs Controller thread really fast -.- and to be honest it is not a matter of what is better.... it is a matter of what the game was designed to work with best. In this case PSO2 was designed with both in mind, it just matters now what people are more comfortable with, I myself use a 360 controller, and love it.

Indeed, the game is very functional with the keyboard. It's what I go to first, and only if I feel like leaning back do I use the controller.

Also, can't the shift switch be set up as a toggle? Any time I swap palettes with my (level 2) force it's a toggle, drives me nuts since I'll reflexively go for something and get something else. I seem to recall a few hold/toggle items in the options menu, I'll look into that when the game is back up. I'd much prefer to hold, just for the sake of muscle memory.

If shift is causing problems try binding it to something else, by the way. Most modern mice have forward and backward buttons, mouse4 and mouse5, so you can almost certainly bind those in-game.

Zilch
Jun 28, 2012, 12:20 AM
Yeah I play with keyboard + mouse exclusively. :D They kind of nailed the controls I think. And wow is Ranger fun now. So much faster than controller pad or ewww keyboard targeting. Now it's like you nail those weak spots like a total boss. Pew pew pew.

And the lock-on can totally be set up to be toggle-ish. It's like..Options menu (6th choice in esc-menu) -> Third option in sub menu -> First option in first category -> Second pair of check-boxes.

TheBlackMage
Jun 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah I play with keyboard + mouse exclusively. :D They kind of nailed the controls I think. And wow is Ranger fun now. So much faster than controller pad or ewww keyboard targeting. Now it's like you nail those weak spots like a total boss. Pew pew pew.

+1

This is probably the 1st game I've played where I'm not already changing key binds, it just feels so natural to me. ^^

Oh and if anyone is experiencing cramps from using your pinky to activate the pallet swap on the shift key try using your ring finger instead. I used to have the same issue as well for long periods of gameplay until I switched and it works so well for me.

Omisan
Jun 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
Man i use controller and i get worn out during bosses from using my thumb to shoot and aim. I cant wait for some english so i can figure out the button config and make something more like halo i guess. I wanna just use the triggers to shoot.

I cant handle aiming the entire game so i only do it on the bosses.

velociti
Jun 28, 2012, 03:12 PM
Haha, don't get me started with this of what's better... if anyone is out there and has played CS 1.6 competitively, then you'll know as a ranger in this game, using a mouse is entirely needed. Headshots are rewarded with massive damage, thank you sega! Now, the only problem is that the field of view is just simply absurd, it feels like 60 degrees, make it 90 and I'll be happy. One more thing, the game just gets glitchy with aiming whenever your aim goes through players, its like your aim just stops on people, and gets in the way of aiming. I have no mouse accel, because you just turn it off on my mouse. I experimented with RInput which takes mouse accel off any program, and there was no difference anyway... and it glitched the game menu etc. Also, I'd love a sensitivity menu for the mouse ingame, because the sensitivity ingame is set too high, even though I can change that on my mouse...

krophiquon
Jun 28, 2012, 03:13 PM
Man i use controller and i get worn out during bosses from using my thumb to shoot and aim. I cant wait for some english so i can figure out the button config and make something more like halo i guess. I wanna just use the triggers to shoot.

I cant handle aiming the entire game so i only do it on the bosses.

here's a decent guide to re-mapping the buttons on your gamepad.
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-options-guide/#gamepadconfig

recursive
Jun 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
Haha, don't get me started with this of what's better... if anyone is out there and has played CS 1.6 competitively, then you'll know as a ranger in this game, using a mouse is entirely needed. Headshots are rewarded with massive damage, thank you sega!

This.

I'm glad Sega threw in some bonuses to manual aim, it's all I use now.

Now all we need are some sniper/semi-automatic rifles, and I'm good to go :]

velociti
Jun 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
:D! well my problem is that I like to pump up the graphics to max, which lags my mouse etc. And the other problem is that the feel of aiming in pso2 is awful since your sensitivity ingame gets slowed down when you look at players.. so no flickshots for me yet. Also that the launchers are projectiles, so.. not hitscan, and that annoys me because monsters jump left to right, and I just blatantly miss (this projectile feel makes players simply shoot the floor near enemies, which is ok but just makes me mad, it doesn't reward aiming properly, but poor aiming etc)...

Rhypht
Jun 28, 2012, 03:24 PM
I actually had this exact same issue, as I had on many other games where shift is something important (sprint, crouch, etc).

So I bound my shift key to one of the thumb buttons on my mouse. It takes a small amount of time to get used to, but it really gets comfortable and useable quite quickly and easily.

recursive
Jun 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
And the other problem is that the feel of aiming in pso2 is awful since your sensitivity ingame gets slowed down when you look at players.. so no flickshots for me yet.

This also bugs the hell out of me as well, hate it when I'm winding up a launcher shot and something moves off to the side, have to literally drag across my mousepad 3-4 times or else I'll shoot way wide.

Also that the launchers are projectiles, so.. not hitscan, and that annoys me because monsters jump left to right, and I just blatantly miss (this projectile feel makes players simply shoot the floor near enemies, which is ok but just makes me mad, it doesn't reward aiming properly, but poor aiming etc)...

Hitscan launchers would be interesting, lol. The way the launcher works right now reminds me a lot of the Q3/Live RL, and the Spinfusor from Tribes with the floor shots. I don't mind it, I just wish they'd take out the random sensitivity changes.

velociti
Jun 28, 2012, 03:34 PM
This also bugs the hell out of me as well, hate it when I'm winding up a launcher shot and something moves off to the side, have to literally drag across my mousepad 3-4 times or else I'll shoot way wide.

Hitscan launchers would be interesting, lol. The way the launcher works right now reminds me a lot of the Q3/Live RL, and the Spinfusor from Tribes with the floor shots. I don't mind it, I just wish they'd take out the random sensitivity changes.

Exactly! I was going to refer to the spinfusor, but I simply hate that game, got addicted to that game 2 weeks ago for a week, then deleted it lol. The game was just a spam fest of moon jumping, whoever hits the floor first will die because of a spinfusor hitting the ground nearby, and not anywhere near you. (hence what I said, it doesn't reward aiming)

Well what I meant about wanting hitscan for pso2 was, maybe the launchers could shoot a little faster, like twice the speed. (making aiming a bit more skillful, and less luckful/random)
(love quake too haha)

but yea, maybe the professional japanese fps players out there have already addressed this issue to the sega team, and (hopefuly) will get fixed on release :( (not gunna happen)

oifjustus
Jun 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
Keyboard and mouse is best in my opinion. Seems more responsive, more precise. I've tried both. I have a wireless 360 pad.. Didn't like it much.

Ueno54
Jun 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
I couldn't play force with a controller. That mouse aim for over the shoulder is too good.

recursive
Jun 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
but yea, maybe the professional japanese fps players out there have already addressed this issue to the sega team, and (hopefuly) will get fixed on release :( (not gunna happen)

Yeah, if its not in now, it will probably never change :/ they should also let you switch which shoulder you are looking over, would be nice to be able to toggle between the two.

jooozek
Jun 28, 2012, 04:04 PM
I can't imagine anyone getting hits on weakspots with ranged weapons on hard mode with a gamepad (without autotarget, of course), desert robots have really tiny weak spots and it's already really hard getting hits with a mouse on them. Everything also moves around, terrain isn't flat everywhere. It might work for you now but later you will miss out really.

velociti
Jun 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
I can't imagine anyone getting hits on weakspots with ranged weapons on hard mode with a gamepad (without autotarget, of course), desert robots have really tiny weak spots and it's already really hard getting hits with a mouse on them. Everything also moves around, terrain isn't flat everywhere. It might work for you now but later you will miss out really.

Huh? It isn't hard for me to get hits on any enemy, I naturally aim for headshots since I trained on counter strike all the time. I actually had a fun time aiming at the desert robots, because when they look at you, their legs are not in the way, or you can just jump and easily get headshots. Seriously, if its hard for you to aim, lower your sensitivity, take mouse accel off, don't have down syndrome when aiming (looking at the floor, which everyone does) and just set your aim at the head level, not hard, also strafing helps. Now if you have VSync on and it causes mouse lag, you'll never be able to aim good, ever. (or like me, max graphics just gives mouse lag) (matter of fact i'll go 800x600 tomorrow and stress test how aiming really works for this game, despite it's bad field of view)

jwplayer0
Jun 28, 2012, 04:47 PM
I switched to PC gaming after about 4 or 5 years of Competitive Console Gaming (mainly for COD:WaW and FC2 but a little MW2 and BO) and after about 2/3 years of PC gaming, I can openly say that I prefer the kb/m now. Though buying a gaming mouse is mainly what change my overall preference.(Which too another month and a half to get used too).

jooozek
Jun 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
So what are you saying is "go spend your childhood in counter-strike", is that it? Not everyone plays FPS games extensively and especially not enough to twitch shot at certain things. Not to mention that the best PA for Assault Rifles requires you leading all the (15?) shots to have any decent use.
Also, let me remind you, my post was in context of using gamepads.

DreXxiN
Jun 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
I switched to PC gaming after about 4 or 5 years of Competitive Console Gaming (mainly for COD:WaW and FC2 but a little MW2 and BO) and after about 2/3 years of PC gaming, I can openly say that I prefer the kb/m now. Though buying a gaming mouse is mainly what change my overall preference.(Which too another month and a half to get used too).

As a (once competing in) competitive League of Legends player and a sponsored player I can honestly tell you, with having ownership of a Razer Orochi and Razer Vespula, that the mouse mat makes a lot more of a difference (personally) than a gaming mouse unless you're playing counter-strike or maybe Starcraft 1.

If people are on a budget and want better performance, I recommend a gaming mat. If you can't afford that, use a piece of cardboard and cover it with an elastic book cover. I too love the PC controls and to clarify, I've been playing Phantasy Star with a pad since 2000. The game feels great with mouse and keyboard, but unless PvP comes it's not going to matter if you play on that or a pad. :)

velociti
Jun 28, 2012, 06:41 PM
So what are you saying is "go spend your childhood in counter-strike", is that it? Not everyone plays FPS games extensively and especially not enough to twitch shot at certain things. Not to mention that the best PA for Assault Rifles requires you leading all the (15?) shots to have any decent use.
Also, let me remind you, my post was in context of using gamepads.

No I actually have only played CS for a year, I started back in 2011. It was a fun year, and I got my aim in really good shape throughout the year. My childhood was spent on PSO dreamcast, PSO gamecube and RF online (and cod1,uo&2 lol).
(edit, twitch shooting, haha... its called muscle memory, just like lifting weights. You get a feel of things, and when something is "over there" you just react and aim at it with 99% precision, all within .3 seconds.)

velociti
Jun 28, 2012, 06:44 PM
As a (once competing in) competitive League of Legends player and a sponsored player I can honestly tell you, with having ownership of a Razer Orochi and Razer Vespula, that the mouse mat makes a lot more of a difference (personally) than a gaming mouse unless you're playing counter-strike or maybe Starcraft 1.

If people are on a budget and want better performance, I recommend a gaming mat. If you can't afford that, use a piece of cardboard and cover it with an elastic book cover. I too love the PC controls and to clarify, I've been playing Phantasy Star with a pad since 2000. The game feels great with mouse and keyboard, but unless PvP comes it's not going to matter if you play on that or a pad. :)

Oh yea I totally agree, the mouse pad is where its at. They usually cost 10$ or so, so its a great investment. Anyone interested, buy a steelseries QCK mousepad. They really help with things. My first competitive hardware was the mousepad haha.

Ezodagrom
Jun 28, 2012, 07:04 PM
Rangers have to hold shift to access the other 2 PAs available to them+^_^+ while hunters use the PA they want by timing there strikes, for Rangers its simply a matter of holding shift and press normal attack (X on 360 pad or left click) for PA 3 and PA attack for PA 4+^_^+ i haven't played with Force yet, so i don't know if they do the same thing
I just skimmed through this topic, so I might have missed it, but looks like no one mentioned this.
In the in-game options you can switch the shift button from hold to click, by doing this you only have to click shift to switch between ranger or force PAs.

If I'm not mistaken, in this window you have to set the third setting to the top option instead of the bottom option:

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Basic-Settings.jpg

jooozek
Jun 28, 2012, 07:12 PM
No I actually have only played CS for a year, I started back in 2011. It was a fun year, and I got my aim in really good shape throughout the year. My childhood was spent on PSO dreamcast, PSO gamecube and RF online (and cod1,uo&2 lol).
(edit, twitch shooting, haha... its called muscle memory, just like lifting weights. You get a feel of things, and when something is "over there" you just react and aim at it with 99% precision, all within .3 seconds.)
And what does this have to do with gamepads?

Zorafim
Jun 28, 2012, 07:19 PM
I checked this thread to see why someone was holding down shift. I left when it became a debate about keyboard vs controller.

I mean, I already know keyboard is better.

velociti
Jun 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
And what does this have to do with gamepads?

huh, if you read what I responded to your quote, it was about you having trouble aiming, if I recall, so I just added some things to improve upon your aim.
You said earlier "desert robots have really tiny weak spots and it's already really hard getting hits with a mouse on them," and I simply tried to help you, atleast I thought?
also I'd like to add that I have crushed your ill minded stereotype that fps players are crazy and only play when they were a child, and must play forever (and only fps games) (and mindlessly play deathmatch with no brain) etc
oh, and gamepads can't be accurate instantly, think about it. (you can move a mouse to a spot on the mousepad instantly, while an xbox controller would have to wait a certain time to "scroll aim" to a point, you get it.

Phantasma
Jun 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
My middle finger was getting sore from holding W all day till I started mashing everything trying to figure out the shortcut to change the PA hotbar and accidentally found the magic V button XD.

gigawuts
Jun 28, 2012, 10:05 PM
I just skimmed through this topic, so I might have missed it, but looks like no one mentioned this.
In the in-game options you can switch the shift button from hold to click, by doing this you only have to click shift to switch between ranger or force PAs.

If I'm not mistaken, in this window you have to set the third setting to the top option instead of the bottom option:

http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Basic-Settings.jpg

Excellent. I knew it was somewhere in there. Thanks for finding it.

Oh, also, if you're getting mouse lag try a tried and true PC AND console FPS tactic: use your movement to assist aiming. If something is a SMIDGE to the right, and you can't reliably twitch, just strafe a bit to the right. It's as easy as that.

jooozek
Jun 29, 2012, 02:29 AM
huh, if you read what I responded to your quote, it was about you having trouble aiming, if I recall, so I just added some things to improve upon your aim.
Don't see there any good advice, if I lowered sensitivity further I'd take a year to turn even 90 degree when trying to use more than one shot from launch in the air. And no, my mouse doesn't have a switch-dpi-on-fly button.

You said earlier "desert robots have really tiny weak spots and it's already really hard getting hits with a mouse on them," and I simply tried to help you, atleast I thought?
All I see there is "I can do it so automatically everyone can".

also I'd like to add that I have crushed your ill minded stereotype that fps players are crazy and only play when they were a child, and must play forever (and only fps games) (and mindlessly play deathmatch with no brain) etc
If there is something ill minded it's the insultive mindset you are in. So are you saying your advice will help my mother to improve her aim? Oh wait, it won't, becuase her reflexes and hand-eye coordination aren't that of a teenager who has refined them directly for mouse control for years.

oh, and gamepads can't be accurate instantly, think about it. (you can move a mouse to a spot on the mousepad instantly, while an xbox controller would have to wait a certain time to "scroll aim" to a point, you get it.
You don't say?

riezahughes
Jun 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
Simple answer: Use a pad
Long answer: Make sure you have a pad, and if you don't... BUY ONE :D

Spanese
Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
I had one of those as well, it felt terrible and made my hands really sore so I threw it away.
I bought a Razer Hydra instead and I love it (:

ClothoBuer
Jun 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
I've been using a Logitech G13 Gamepad for 2 years now, best purchase decision ever. Might use a 360 controller when I get to leveling Hunter, but as a Ranger, there is no reason you should not be using KB/M combo. Ever.

Scyris
Jun 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
Well for aiming with the targeting cursor, nothing beats a mouse, Only class i'd use controller for would probally be a hunter, I like my precision aiming on my force and ranger. Can't aim worth shit with a controller usually in that kind of view its to jittery. I bought a wired x360 controller, best thing I ever bought. Plugged it in my pc and off I went, works flawlessly in everything so far. I used to use a logitech gamepad but i got sick of how shitty the d-pad was.