PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Level Cap

Ranmaru
Jun 28, 2012, 08:23 AM
So question. I hear the cap is Level 30, isn't that a bit too low? Like, won't we run out of things to do?

I mean maybe they will have plenty of areas for us to explore, which I would like. And more rares. And more challenges/difficulty.

But don't you think the cap should be a bit higher so that we have a goal? I know the game is in open beta, but hopefully in official launch they set the bar a little higher.

Please discuss.

GrandTickler
Jun 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
iheard release cap is 40, which is still low but oh well. we'll see if they can push out content fast enough before we get bored

Scale of Judgment
Jun 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
Level 30 but it is still beta. Also you can switch classes. So that's 90 levels of three different aspects of the game.
There's also the item hunting for creating that unlimited bladeworks some people are gunning for...

Ranmaru
Jun 28, 2012, 08:32 AM
Ah I see. Yeah I would think a cap of 60 might be fine.

But anyways I will change my class to satisfy my aspiration. : D

CelestialBlade
Jun 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
30 is fine, it means my friends can't get too far ahead of me so we can still party :wacko:

I'm level 15 and I've been playing since last Friday, and I can't imagine official release is that far away, so it seems like a good pace for your average player. We'll get 10 more levels and a new map at that point, and assuming they actually stuck with their update schedule, we should be seeing updates on a frequent enough basis that we'll remain entertained.

And as Judgment said, there's three classes to level, so if you were capped and didn't want to rare-hunt, you can always try another class. I kinda wish there was a "boss rush" quest available at cap, would be a fun challenge and a good way to hunt boss rares, but I say "at cap" so it doesn't become TTF which is all anyone did in PSO and that got highly boring. Just straight-up throw a crapload of bosses at me and let me challenge myself.

Quatre52
Jun 28, 2012, 08:40 AM
30 is fine. I've been playing the game daily, probably around 40 hours at least in it all ready and I've only gotten to level 20 myself. 30 seems like a nice number.

Thermalwolf
Jun 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
So far there's a hard mode and I'm assuming Sega KNOWS if they wanna do this right then there better be a serious level cap and exciting difficulty modes. It won't be PSO without them!!

No but I really think Sega is just trying to limit us for a little bit cause they know there would be people rushing for max if they set it really high so this way they can keep people in a general range, and then later on begin raising the cap by like 20 levels a patch or something.

Indignation Judgment
Jun 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
The game doesn't have current content for a higher Level Cap (leaving an higher cap would mean on an unbalanced experience of the upcoming content, afterall). In fact, the Lv40 cap raisee comes along the release of a new area.

After you reach Max Level, I recommend you hunting Top-Tier equipment and Meseta, so you can have your character at the best position possible for when newer content is released. Also, remember there is the Matterboard around - Chapter 0 (Tutorial), 1 and "1 again" are there to be completed. In fact, you can't 100% the second matterboard till you're... 25.

Also, remember the game is still on Beta status (Open beta, but Beta).

Ranmaru
Jun 28, 2012, 08:45 AM
30 is fine, it means my friends can't get too far ahead of me so we can still party :wacko:

I'm level 15 and I've been playing since last Friday, and I can't imagine official release is that far away, so it seems like a good pace for your average player. We'll get 10 more levels and a new map at that point, and assuming they actually stuck with their update schedule, we should be seeing updates on a frequent enough basis that we'll remain entertained.

And as Judgment said, there's three classes to level, so if you were capped and didn't want to rare-hunt, you can always try another class. I kinda wish there was a "boss rush" quest available at cap, would be a fun challenge and a good way to hunt boss rares, but I say "at cap" so it doesn't become TTF which is all anyone did in PSO and that got highly boring. Just straight-up throw a crapload of bosses at me and let me challenge myself.

I approve of the boss rush idea, or anything that can give me a challenge and just keep me interested. I just want to stay in this game for a long time. It's SO awesome that I want so much of it. NOM

Sp-24
Jun 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
There is definitely going to be more difficulties. Noticed that a crown doesn't appear in the empty circle next to the quest name even after you finish it on both Normal and Hard, even though it does appear next to the difficulty's name after you complete the quest on it? Just a theory, but I think it's quite a hint.

Flevalt
Jun 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
I hope they'll release the whole game with 200 max. level with small consistent patches.

The full release includes the ice area but I really hope they'll add at least another region after that because a Ice area doesn't seem like a good place for a final boss.

Ranmaru
Jun 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
So far there's a hard mode and I'm assuming Sega KNOWS if they wanna do this right then there better be a serious level cap and exciting difficulty modes. It won't be PSO without them!!

No but I really think Sega is just trying to limit us for a little bit cause they know there would be people rushing for max if they set it really high so this way they can keep people in a general range, and then later on begin raising the cap by like 20 levels a patch or something.

I like the idea of the cap getting higher as more patches come in. Now that I think of it, I hope the content will be as abundant as LoL. (I don't know about other games patches since I haven't played them)

The game doesn't have current content for a higher Level Cap (leaving an higher cap would mean on an unbalanced experience of the upcoming content, afterall). In fact, the Lv40 cap raisee comes along the release of a new area.

After you reach Max Level, I recommend you hunting Top-Tier equipment and Meseta, so you can have your character at the best position possible for when newer content is released. Also, remember there is the Matterboard around - Chapter 0 (Tutorial), 1 and "1 again" are there to be completed. In fact, you can't 100% the second matterboard till you're... 25.

Also, remember the game is still on Beta status (Open beta, but Beta).

No, I can understand there being a cap now since it is open beta. I just hope that once there is an official release that it would be a bit higher, and like Thermal said, it would be nice to get level cap ups upon each patch.

I will keep your recommendation in mind. : D

Geistritter
Jun 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
I just hope they give us a game that actually stands on its own at launch. PSU's content level at release was an embarrassment.

Phantasma
Jun 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
With over 100 hours logged, I finally reached level 30. At this point, I'm randomly joining Volcano Cave hard mode free field parties, checking to see if the multiparty areas have a good layout, and going to town on all the E-trials. Vol, Cater, and Ragune pop up occasionally, but when the party is really good, the game just throws multiple bosses at a time. Had a max of 4 bosses within a 2 minute period. Made like 450,000 meseta in one evening! Servers come up plz. I must continue raising my ATP (currently at like 760ish...dun remember...servers are down...LIFE....FADING...)

I'm rather satisfied with the content offered so far and am looking forward to release...good job Sega, now fix your lag! lulz

trentjosh
Jun 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
i dont mind the level cap being what it is if they keep pushing it up with updates and have content to support it bigger numbers make you feel stronger :D

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 09:13 AM
old topic that keeps being brought up but not super often.

some people are ok with 40 as lvl cap. others that admit to having nothing else to do desire a higher level cap.

i too would enjoy a boss rush mode. in actuality, i'd just rather a "training room" where you can warp straight to the boss in a "vr" like room. lol.

then i wouldn't have to run through dungeons to have fun practicing bosses.

Thermalwolf
Jun 28, 2012, 09:17 AM
Also wanna add if people are getting max level this early, it's an obvious sign the game is going to be expanded much further. In the future. My guess is release will come with a level raise and a new area with new quests and some new rares released for the 30+ range. Also third evolution mags will be released I forgot!!!!

Khabarakh
Jun 28, 2012, 10:06 AM
I really hope it gets to 200. That was one of my favorite things about PSO ep. 1&2. I hate maxing out, I always lose interest instantly when I hit max.

IAmSecretSpy
Jun 28, 2012, 10:40 AM
They need Boss Rush and a few other things too.

They will only make more area's and Bosses, items, etc. if they are making money on it.
Which in most cases is a yes based on the positive reviews on the FTP standard they set, the only thing i dont like is not being able to buy Scape Dolls... They should make them a somewhat Rare drop and can select when to use it when you die.

Ryock
Jun 28, 2012, 11:14 AM
I've been playing the game quite a lot since open beta started, and I'm still only 26. The grind in this game is definitely a lot harsher than what I remember from PSO1 or PSU. But I did solo for the majority of my game time. If I had partied for most of it, that may have been a different story.

They need Boss Rush and a few other things too.

They will only make more area's and Bosses, items, etc. if they are making money on it.
Which in most cases is a yes based on the positive reviews on the FTP standard they set, the only thing i dont like is not being able to buy Scape Dolls... They should make them a somewhat Rare drop and can select when to use it when you die.

I actually like the idea that scape dolls can't be found. I don't really want people cheating death 24/7 and not minding what any of the monsters do so they can rush in with their PAs like a fool. Got enough of that from PSO1 and PSU. ESPECIALLY PSU.

Arika
Jun 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
LV cap 30->40 is fine for now. it take as much time as PSU lv 50 in the past imo. (If not speedy rush up)

The only thing I m worrying is that, current final mission for forest/cave/desert only have monsters lv 33. If Snow area become the only place to play with monsters lv 40+ then people will get boring, only spamming 1 area. (White beast all over again!!)

I hope they will make sure to add new mission for forest/cave/desert with lv 40+ mob too.

Ranmaru
Jun 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
I've been playing the game quite a lot since open beta started, and I'm still only 26. The grind in this game is definitely a lot harsher than what I remember from PSO1 or PSU. But I did solo for the majority of my game time. If I had partied for most of it, that may have been a different story.

I actually like the idea that scape dolls can't be found. I don't really want people cheating death 24/7 and not minding what any of the monsters do so they can rush in with their PAs like a fool. Got enough of that from PSO1 and PSU. ESPECIALLY PSU.

I only just started playing yesterday or the day before, quested with a few friends, and am already level 10. Only quested by myself once. This was why I was worried. :razz:

Unless it gets really steep from here.

Kanore
Jun 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Over the course of 2-3 years, PSU's level cap went from 50 to 130+ in increments of 10. They're going to do the same thing for PSO2. It's obvious.

EvilMag
Jun 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
Just for the love of god don't stay at a level cap for 3 years. (I'm looking at you PSU)

Ryock
Jun 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
I only just started playing yesterday or the day before, quested with a few friends, and am already level 10. Only quested by myself once. This was why I was worried. :razz:

Unless it gets really steep from here.

Yeah, it's super fast at first. Then it starts taking quite a sharp curve at... 10+ I think? Might be 15+, can't remember XD

DreXxiN
Jun 28, 2012, 12:50 PM
I kinda wish there was a "boss rush" quest available at cap, would be a fun challenge and a good way to hunt boss rares, but I say "at cap" so it doesn't become TTF which is all anyone did in PSO and that got highly boring. Just straight-up throw a crapload of bosses at me and let me challenge myself.

We usually agree on everything but not here for me. Even at cap that would suck the fun out for me :P. I am generally always about doing what is most efficient when I'm spending my time on Phantasy Star but I honestly do not mind rares becoming harder to achieve by clearing fields.

Kanore
Jun 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
LV cap 30->40 is fine for now. it take as much time as PSU lv 50 in the past imo. (If not speedy rush up)

The only thing I m worrying is that, current final mission for forest/cave/desert only have monsters lv 33. If Snow area become the only place to play with monsters lv 40+ then people will get boring, only spamming 1 area. (White beast all over again!!)

I hope they will make sure to add new mission for forest/cave/desert with lv 40+ mob too.

They had C, B, A, S, SS, and S3 in PSU.

They'll probably add equivalents to Very Hard, Ultimate and maybe beyond depending on game life for PSO2.

The Awesomeinator
Jun 28, 2012, 02:17 PM

They'll probably add equivalents to Very Hard, Ultimate and maybe beyond depending on game life for PSO2.

I hope that the endgame doesn't become like Inferno in Diablo. Running the same thing over and over again with outright unfair Jailer Desecrator Frozen enemies (or whatever ridiculous combo you can think of) isn't exactly fun. I just hope they add more content at a reasonable rate.

I wouldn't exactly enjoy an endgame which constitutes of the same enemies with bigger numbers.

Sp-24
Jun 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
If they are just going to add 10 more levels and another difficulty every few months, then that's exactly what we are going to get - each new difficulty will only mean higher numbers.

Arika
Jun 28, 2012, 09:23 PM

Of course, we all know that. but the thing is that, they never mention "very hard mode" in release game together with lv 40 cap.

So when the Snow area + lv 40 cap release. I m afraid that Snow area probably become the only high lv area to play. and that would cause White Beast legend again.

(Unless they add more forest/cave mission, that is it)

DreXxiN
Jun 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
I hope that the endgame doesn't become like Inferno in Diablo. Running the same thing over and over again with outright unfair Jailer Desecrator Frozen enemies (or whatever ridiculous combo you can think of) isn't exactly fun. I just hope they add more content at a reasonable rate.

I wouldn't exactly enjoy an endgame which constitutes of the same enemies with bigger numbers.

Well hopefully it's something like the previous titles in the franchise wherein the latest difficulty is always spiced up in that the area is at least reskinned as well as the monsters and they attack crazy fast. :P

thablinksta
Jun 28, 2012, 09:29 PM

I agree 150%. I want there to be lots of variety in the worlds. Hopefully they will introduce more environments as we move forward so that going back to old stages for "hard mode" is an option rather than a requirement... at least until you reach lv. 60 or something like that.

Vylera
Jun 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
I think the level cap is fine where it is.

Including AFK/passing out on my keyboard time, my playtime for PSO2 is around 110 hours.

I'm only level 20 on both ranger and hunter.

Considering an average "casual" player would see roughly 3 hours of online time (including breaks, brbs, etc) a day, that would put it at 21 hours a week, or just over 5 weeks to reach the point that I'm at granted I was playing the game at a healthier pace.

I have no idea how much the experience curve arcs from level 20 and onwards, but I'm going to assume that 20 to 30 will take at least the same amount of time as 1 to 20, or roughly 10 weeks to have two level 30 characters on a "healthy" gaming schedule.

Nu Lo Yin
Jun 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
My bro lives in japan and he is way into this game. He actually has his hand a bit in the gaming industry. He told me the full release cap will be 50 to start with

Mokyu
Jun 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
Im level 21 so far, i think the level is fine. If anything, ill just rare hunt! :D

Should sega implement cumulative EXP? Like, your capped, and the exp gained from stuff is stacked and given to you when the cap rises. Thoughts?

DreXxiN
Jun 28, 2012, 09:50 PM
Im level 21 so far, i think the level is fine. If anything, ill just rare hunt! :D

Should sega implement cumulative EXP? Like, your capped, and the exp gained from stuff is stacked and given to you when the cap rises. Thoughts?

Bad business decision.

Nu Lo Yin
Jun 28, 2012, 09:56 PM

No, I think that when they raise the cap, what you have accumulated, should not matter. You should still be where you left off. Some people would jump strait to the next cap if this was the case

thablinksta
Jun 28, 2012, 09:59 PM

Yeah you don't want to do that. There are always those guys who play so much that they are going to jump straight to the next level cap -> they don't have a goal to achieve while playing -> they leave the game and never come back x.x

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 10:04 PM

The moment you max out your EXP current stays where it is and all extra EXP gained states "EXP FULL".

So no, you can't retroactively level up if they increase the level cap when you have the required experience. I also disagree that they should implement it. There's really no point unless they want players to get bored faster, which they don't want.

trentjosh
Jul 1, 2012, 08:35 AM
has sega said they are going to raise the level cap in updates (i know its going to 40 in release)

Blackheart521
Jul 1, 2012, 08:39 AM
has sega said they are going to raise the level cap in updates (i know its going to 40 in release)

No they haven't, but you can't honestly believe that the Level Cap will stay at 40 for years on end... people would get bored easily that way.

Plus there are charts for stats up to level 100, outdated but viable to prove that there will be raises in the cap as the game goes on ^^

Scale of Judgment
Jul 1, 2012, 08:41 AM
Actually one of the cool things about Blizzard is that they implemented " EXP turn to gold" method. When cap at full XP it converts to gold or mesetas in this case.
Though with the current beta run the level cap is sufficent as you guys should try out the other 2 classes and see which class works for you. You still have to put in time and effort to make to level 30 with how long it takes to level past 20~
Edit: The level cap will be raised of course in final release and it will continue to progress as long as people play it and enjoy it.

trentjosh
Jul 1, 2012, 08:42 AM
thats good the game being free to play has always scared me makes me think they would just stop adding some stuff like some of these other f2p mmos