PDA

View Full Version : Reactions From JP Players?

Draconum
Jun 28, 2012, 05:40 PM
I get the feeling that JP players are not terribly happy that we are playing this game. I accidentally joined a party of JP players the other day and everybody in the party stopped what they were doing, stared at me, spammed sad/angry emoticons, and one of the people in the party started shooting their weapon in my direction over and over, even following me around. I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable and just ended up quitting for the evening.

Has anybody had something like this happen to them?

For what it's worth: english-speaking players have caused all sorts of problems historically for the seemingly-more-serious JP Phantasy Star * community. I get that, and this is, specifically, a -japanese- beta test, and we're basically coming in and taking over various ships/blocks... I mean, I'm sure it's annoying to have a bunch of people who can't read the game interface or communicate at all come and try to play with you.

moeri
Jun 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
I have not had this issue. I am sure there are JP players who like and dislike us being around.

My only real experiences with JP players has been them joining a dance group, and one really friendly one joining me in a run. I didn't know exactly what he was saying (grr kanji) but from what I could understand he seemed fairly happy

ZIE creations
Jun 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
I get the feeling that JP players are not terribly happy that we are playing this game. I accidentally joined a party of JP players the other day and everybody in the party stopped what they were doing, stared at me, spammed sad/angry emoticons, and one of the people in the party started shooting their weapon in my direction over and over, even following me around. I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable and just ended up quitting for the evening.

Has anybody had something like this happen to them?

For what it's worth: english-speaking players have caused all sorts of problems historically for the seemingly-more-serious JP Phantasy Star * community. I get that, and this is, specifically, a -japanese- beta test, and we're basically coming in and taking over various ships/blocks... I mean, I'm sure it's annoying to have a bunch of people who can't read the game interface or communicate at all come and try to play with you.

One thing to remember, people are people no matter where you are. Just because you are born under a different sun doesn't make you an alien which to be mistreated. In pre-open beta me and a friend were in ship 4 (because he was able to log on before me and didn't know what he was doing >.<) I got stalked by a group of JP players with the "yell" type bubble up a lot, funny IMO but they could have been trying to be mean.

So far tho on ship 2 all the JP players I play with seem nice, some join my party and I try and explain I don't speak very much Japanese and that I'm a little slow with it when I do understand it. Some of them know some English and actually enjoy english players, one described us as "a live bunch from not actives" bad grammar aside we are a lively bunch compared to the excluded JP cliks. In the end we are all just human beings and there is no reason to hate one another because of things such as region or culture, it's not weird, it's different, but people fear change...

Sp-24
Jun 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
I had fun playing with some Japanese guys. Granted, I have never tried joining their parties, but I don't remember them ever being angry at me for spending time with them, whether it was in a multiparty area or when they joined me, at least.

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
Accidently joined? There are several prompts before you join such a party...
Yes, you likely joined them when there is a party comment stating they want something in particular.
I'm sure some do get annoyed when you don't understand them or the game, which you clearly were doing and you didn't leave them alone.

I've had plenty of pleasant experiences with many Japanese players, they don't try to start problems in most cases. If they do, then they aren't much different from the English speaking players that do try to start problems.

I certainly don't try to make myself known as a foreigner to them, but some do guess, or some just assume I'm a child (elementary level reading). 99% of the time, they don't care provided you're not trying to cause them trouble.

RocSage
Jun 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
In pre-open i ran with some JP people a little and they were friendly.
The other day i was looking for people to help unlock desert which requires S-rank free caves in 20 mins. Only 1 person replied to me asking in lobbies and it was a JP person who helped me along with nightmesh. (s)he thought that the english patch still worked and was utterly confused by nightmesh's autoword for codes going off. That's about the only barrier we had, but they also had amazingly good english so they are slightly biased already towards not caring or liking english speakers.

Also it's interesting that in the mumble chat there is someone from Swiss and someone from Portugal who doesn't seem to be having any problems so I'm pretty sure it is only a few on either side.

Draconum
Jun 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
Accidently joined? There are several prompts before you join such a party...
Yes, you likely joined them when there is a party comment stating they want something in particular.
I'm sure some do get annoyed when you don't understand them or the game, which you clearly were doing and you didn't leave them alone.

It was one of the first times I had played the game (I still only have probably 3 or 4 hours logged on it, total) and honestly wasn't sure what I was doing in general. So, yes, I accidentally joined a party of JP players.

re: "didn't leave them alone" -- this happened literally as soon as I entered the area of forest they were in... as soon as I realized what was happening (which took a minute considering that I don't speak Japanese) I actually just quit the game and stopped playing for the evening. I didn't hang around and annoy them or take up space in their party for an extended period of time.

jiasu73
Jun 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
As someone who frequents block 1-4 for the majority of the time online parting with randoms , i have not experienced any hostility from the JP community so far. Some even try to communicate with me in a polite manner in English (or it seems so, i don't really know if they try to degrade me in someway, while communicating with other JP companions but i feel this often is not the case). In the long run though I have never been kicked out of a party simply for being a foreigner. Even if they cannot communicate with me, i feel that they will at least play with me as long as i don't hinder their objectives or become a bother. Perhaps you were just unfortunate with the group you came across.

Also i have been told by a few players who are fluent in Japanese and communicate with JP players on a regular basis that the Gaijin/Foreigner hating type is but a minority of the player base and majority do not mind them.

Opy
Jun 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
I'm sure japanese kids are no different than any other kids. Some are going to be rude and some are not.

Reyva
Jun 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
Eh, it comes with the territory. Anyone play Final Fantasy XI lol? I'm talking old day FFXI? Remember the messages some say? JP ONRY? lol.

For example, I never really understood why Americans/EU hate BRs so much in their game and say so many hateful things to them. Its not like Americans/EUs don't have bad apples themselves.

So ofcourse there will be some Japanese who don't like Americans/EUs. To be honest, those JP need to stay out of ship 2, block 20 sometimes. Symbol chat is kinda.............well retarded.........retarded enough to say "Let me out of here." Not going to repeat some of the things I saw for symbol chat, but some things were really racist.

However, like I said, just because a few of these people are bad doesn't make all Americans/EUs that way. And ofcourse, the JP ain't no saints themselves at times.

Anyways, whenever I play with JP in multi party areas, we just do our thing. If "mega bosses" spawn, we take care of it and get back to business. Just like in FFXI where I'd tank for them and we all go home happy because its a awesome party and we're leveling fast.

So don't assume that for all JP. There are nice ones out there :P.

Draconum
Jun 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
I want to clarify that I'm not trying to suggest that JP players are bad/mean in general, just that I get the impression that EN players probably don't have a great reputation overall, and as such, I'm sure our presence in the game is annoying to some.

Honestly, if I was going to reverse the situation and pretend that I was playing a game with a predominantly-english-speaking community, and people who didn't speak english started joining MY parties constantly, I might find myself somewhat frustrated, primarily due to inability to communicate with them. So, to a certain degree, I don't think it's completely unwarranted.

Cavistus
Jun 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
Honestly, their reaction is perfectly normal and should be expected.

Personally, I've been on the opposite end of this situation before. I play WoW regularly, and we get the same thing with Brazilians. Brazilians had taken over almost an entire server, and it was extremely annoying having to deal with the language barrier.

I've spoken to a few japanese players about this issue. Some japanese people can be very proud of Japan, and they believe that a Japanese server should be only for Japan, and rightfully so. I can see where they're coming from. I've been pissed off before on WoW, because I kept getting groups of Brazilians, it was just a pain in the ass having to deal with them on a server that was intended for English speakers.

However, some Japanese people are indeed fascinated with foreigners, and they love us. There have been several JP folks entering block 20 trying to speak with us and learn some English. Some of them think we're hilarious and goofy; some are just interested in the contrast between cultures.

Another aspect, however, is simply the language barrier. You've probably experienced this before: 8 times out of ten, if you join a Japanese player's room, they will be deathly silent and not say a single thing. Japanese are a self conscious people, and some of them get really uncomfortable around a foreigner because they can't speak with them. They want to be able to communicate, but they're nervous that they'll embarrass themselves by trying to speak English... so they just opt to being completely silent. In other words, it's a real awkward moment.

So in other words, we do the same thing as they're doing. Meaning, some of us get pissed off when we have to deal with foreigners; some of us are fascinated with the foreigners and use what little broken sentences of their language we have, and some of us just feel uncomfortable not being able to communicate under the eye of scrutiny.

MonopolyMan
Jun 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
Just stick with English speaking players. What's the point of playing with people you can't talk to? This game is meant to be social, and some of the harder areas require communication.

DTwO
Jun 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
So far for me,all japanese players were super friendly.Even for a half hour straight me and him were using google translate back and forth lol

Another party that added me we were having Rocket Ride Races haha and making faces at eachother.

I guess everyones experiences vary.i usually dont join if they have text in the comment box because i assume its not for us to join lol

Draconum
Jun 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
Just stick with English speaking players. What's the point of playing with people you can't talk to? This game is meant to be social, and some of the harder areas require communication.

Right, I would agree with this in general... as I mentioned in the OP I didn't actually mean to join a game with all JP players. I certainly would not intend to make life harder for them by being unable to follow any necessary instructions/etc.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jun 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
lol @ op's story i can't believe that happened to you. i find that almost comedic.

but i've played a lot of games where all everybody does is grief so i see that every day and am unphased by your story. you should make a symbol chat that says AMERICA FUCK YEAH with an american flag behind the words if that ever hapens to you again, and just spam the shit outta it if you run into such nonsense. rofl

or i GUESS you could be the bigger man and just leave silently asap.

but my previous idea is much better.

RocSage
Jun 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
I shoot at people all the time... they deserve it.

moorebounce
Jun 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
I know in the CBT I had Japanese players just standing around saying stuff in japanese when we got to the teleporter for the rockbears. They wouldn't activate the teleporter so I guess they were asking me to leave. So I just stood there and they left. I wasn't gonna help them get there and just leave. when they left I went in and defeated the rockbear myself. lol

Cavistus
Jun 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
Also, I created a thread for situations just like this. It's a guide with several basic japanese phrases you can use to communicate on a simplified level, if you really need to get something across to them.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195616

Draconum
Jun 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
Personally, I've been on the opposite end of this situation before. I play WoW regularly, and we get the same thing with Brazilians. Brazilians had taken over almost an entire server, and it was extremely annoying having to deal with the language barrier.

Totally understandable, and that was something I was reminding myself of... if I was the one having to deal with people coming into MY party who were unable to communicate with me, I'd probably be at least slightly frustrated with the language barrier (moreso than the person).

soulpimpwizzurd
I know in the CBT I had Japanese players just standing around saying stuff in japanese when we got to the teleporter for the rockbears. They wouldn't activate the teleporter so I guess they were asking me to leave. So I just stood there and they left. I wasn't gonna help them get there and just leave. when they left I went in and defeated the rockbear myself. lol

should of just shoutd LEEEROYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and entered the portal yourself man. don't even wait for their bullshit loool

Lostbob117
When you join a jp room say this

nihongogawakaranaikedo, sankashiteiidesuka?

But in katakana not romaji.

It says, "I don't understand Japanese. Is it alright if I join you?" in english.

If they say ”いいえ” Than leave the party.

This is my opinion but, I don't think they like us in their party because there is no communcation with us whatsoever some jp people are nice.

ZIE creations
Jun 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
I feel their "dis-like" (for a lack of a better term) of foreign players would be more warranted IF there was access to English servers, as of right now there are none. I play LoL a bit (worst community ever) and I have yet to meet a single Portuguese person who didn't scream "noob" or "you bad game!" (even after we won >.>) I've met some cool people from Portugal and know they are not all like this. Point being, I don't feel they have any GOOD reason to hate us, those that are disrespectful to them would move to a local server when available anyways but as of now we just want to play an amazing game and they should be proud that game came from Japan and pleases other cultures.

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
As someone who frequents block 1-4 for the majority of the time online parting with randoms , i have not experienced any hostility from the JP community so far. Some even try to communicate with me in a polite manner in English (or it seems so, i don't really know if they try to degrade me in someway, while communicating with other JP companions but i feel this often is not the case). In the long run though I have never been kicked out of a party simply for being a foreigner. Even if they cannot communicate with me, i feel that they will at least play with me as long as i don't hinder their objectives or become a bother. Perhaps you were just unfortunate with the group you came across.

Also i have been told by a few players who are fluent in Japanese and communicate with JP players on a regular basis that the Gaijin/Foreigner hating type is but a minority of the player base and majority do not mind them.

No, they aren't trying to mock you in English. They want to improve their English (very common). They feel they look silly trying to speak in English in many cases since it is a very difficult language to learn (unless you natively speak it).

Yes, the "gaijin" haters are definitely a small group. Don't forget that some of the players are children and not necessarily always adults.

@Draconum

Write it off, forget about that experience. You'll be laughing about it later on. You didn't do irreparable harm to them. You annoyed them and left, problem solved. We don't know or will ever know what you did to anger them, let it go. I'd recommend you not interact with them unless they break the ice with you in English. If you want to interact with them, try learning some Japanese and try again.

Quatre52
Jun 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
I've had no problems, most the JP players I've played with have been friendly enough, or simply stayed silent.
The closest thing I've seen to an issue was a team I joined that stopped initially when I caught up to them and looked back at me, then went right back to playing. (I thought for a minute someone had said something, then realized it was the NPC) We finished the run with no problems.

Mostly, I just see them in the lobbies, were they tend to stay pretty quiet.

ZIE creations
Jun 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
When you join a jp room say this

nihongogawakaranaikedo, sankashiteiidesuka?

But in katakana not romaji.

It says, "I don't understand Japanese. Is it alright if I join you?" in english.

If they say ”いいえ” Than leave the party.

This is my opinion but, I don't think they like us in their party because there is no communcation with us whatsoever some jp people are nice.

(Katakana removed after some translation)

I'm sure there are words that should be Hiragana in there...

Edit: I wouldn't use this saying considering there is an inappropriate word in it... mite want to learn individual words and peice it together, you'll sound like an idiot but it's good enough

Sp-24
Jun 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
Writing in katakana will only serve to get your point across, don't worry.

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
ニホンゴガワカラナイケド、サンカシテイイデスダ?

I'm sure there are words that should be Hiragana in there...

Plenty.... it looks so wrong.
にほんごがわからないけど、 さんかしていいですか?
日本語が分からないけど、 参加していいですか?

Cavistus
Jun 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
Like I said, my thread here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195616) has that phrase, and a few dozen other phrases for situations just like this.

Gardios
Jun 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
Writing in katakana will only serve to get your point across, don't worry.

Writing it in Katakana makes you sound like a robot, not like a gaijin!

Nu Lo Yin
Jun 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
My brother actually lives in Japan and teaches english there. I play with him when I can since I live in the states. However, him being in the Japanes culture and speaking Japanese flawlessly (Japanese undergrad he is), and having many Japanese friends that play this game, he has told me that most wont mind if they encounter a english speaking person. For the most part I have found this to be true. Of course you get those that just get offended because thats who they are. But so far in my experience and my brothers, they are happy to have us in the game

Draconum
Jun 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Write it off, forget about that experience. You'll be laughing about it later on. You didn't do irreparable harm to them. You annoyed them and left, problem solved. We don't know or will ever know what you did to anger them, let it go. I'd recommend you not interact with them unless they break the ice with you in English. If you want to interact with them, try learning some Japanese and try again.

Honestly, hearing about different people's experiences in this thread has made me feel a lot better. I left that situation thinking that my presence on the game was a nuisance to the majority of the JP PSO2 community, but now I know that isn't (typically) the case.

That's really why I created the thread in the first place, to see if this sorta thing was common... definitely a relief to know that there was likely a very good reason they wanted me out of the party, and not just a general dislike of foreigners.

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
Oh yes, I meant Hiragana foolish me.

catwat
Jun 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
Don't spam their chat in english with pointless stuff because most of them know little to no english. Be nice and polite. Ignore the racists and stupid kids. Allways worked for me and i even made friends with one of those players.

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
Honestly, hearing about different people's experiences in this thread has made me feel a lot better. I left that situation thinking that my presence on the game was a nuisance to the majority of the JP PSO2 community, but now I know that isn't (typically) the case.

That's really why I created the thread in the first place, to see if this sorta thing was common... definitely a relief to know that there was likely a very good reason they wanted me out of the party, and not just a general dislike of foreigners.

No worries there. Just for some non-subtle proof, here's a happy Jp person. We both "solo'd" a dark ragne.
By "Solo'd" I mean we both had full parties of bots to help us, they were decent fodder to let us know where to not stand.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/JC2900/PSO2/pso20120627_035958_015.jpg[/SPOILER-boX]

We talked for a bit since there was no one else there, and yes the person knew I was foreigner from my silly Japanese. Still friendly, and just treats me as equal. They are usually impressed when one takes it upon his/herself to learn the language and speak it.

velociti
Jun 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
Point being, I don't feel they have any GOOD reason to hate us, those that are disrespectful to them would move to a local server when available anyways but as of now we just want to play an amazing game and they should be proud that game came from Japan and pleases other cultures.

ROFL, they have plenty of reasons to hate english speaking people, and americans. Trust me.

bradsta6508
Jun 28, 2012, 06:33 PM
I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable and just ended up quitting for the evening.

u wut.

Sp-24
Jun 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
[spoiler-box]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/JC2900/PSO2/pso20120627_035958_015.jpg[/spoiler-box]
Not to go off-topic, but OMG, is that Soul Eater?

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 06:37 PM
Not to go off-topic, but OMG, is that Soul Eater?

Yes it is. Every class can wield it. I also heard it gives a boost in Technique attack, so I want one just for a force. I read they dropped there in Forest (around 9 found) so I was hoping I'd find one and hence my reasoning for being there.

RocSage
Jun 28, 2012, 06:40 PM
No worries there. Just for some non-subtle proof, here's a happy Jp person. We both "solo'd" a dark ragne.
By "Solo'd" I mean we both had full parties of bots to help us, they were decent fodder to let us know where to not stand.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/JC2900/PSO2/pso20120627_035958_015.jpg[/SPOILER-boX]

We talked for a bit since there was no one else there, and yes the person knew I was foreigner from my silly Japanese. Still friendly, and just treats me as equal. They are usually impressed when one takes it upon his/herself to learn the language and speak it.

I wonder how inviting them to the mumble chat server would play out.

Sakira
Jun 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
Sadly when the tables are turned, it's exactly the same, if not worse. You'll get people bringing up all kinds of racial hatred and stereotypes just to troll.

goldbrease
Jun 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
would not help me really. althou my gaming pc to play it on would work, i use my laptop to surf the web, and my laptop for some bizarre reason refuses to display Japanese text, each character appears as a square block with 2, 2 digit numbers stacked on top each other inside the block.
ive messed with my settings over and over again but it refuses to display the text correctly.

bonethrack
Jun 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
ive only partied with a few japanese players they were polite and understood some english which is really nice ive started to learn katakana atleast so i can somewhat communicate with other people and so i can read items and quests and things

Sp-24
Jun 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
would not help me really. althou my gaming pc to play it on would work, i use my laptop to surf the web, and my laptop for some bizarre reason refuses to display Japanese text, each character appears as a square block with 2, 2 digit numbers stacked on top each other inside the block.
ive messed with my settings over and over again but it refuses to display the text correctly.

Have you installed the language packs required? Sounds like you just don't have the necessary Unicode characters.

Cash202
Jun 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
Only had one join me once in Ship10.
I was trying to do runs for Dragon on Hard. First time I actually saw another level 30.

Couldn't communicate well, but killed dragon quite easily, certainly much easier than doing dragon alone at lvl 30. So far, the hardest thing I've had to do in PSO2, my current record is 3 win and 16 losses going solo...

Anyway, after Dragon he said bye bye, I said GG, he gave a smiley face and left.
Everything seemed rather cordial and polite.

sugarFO
Jun 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
I haven't really played with any JP.

Is anyone else bilingual in a language other than Japanese? For this game I wish I knew Japanese instead, my other one is useless to me haha.

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 06:48 PM

Laptops have unicode support built in on their pre-installs of Windows, access language options and add in support for complex Eastern languages. That should solve your problem. If you can't do that, then you've removed said partition and will have to make your own Windows disk to install support for those languages. They also need a restart to take effect, some people are very stubborn at giving their PCs/laptops a break and restart for a "fresh" slate.

goldbrease
Jun 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
ive only partied with a few japanese players they were polite and understood some english which is really nice ive started to learn katakana atleast so i can somewhat communicate with other people and so i can read items and quests and things

pretty sure i downloaded them, on several occasions. doesn't hurt to check however.

IAmSecretSpy
Jun 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
As long as they can Revive and attack monsters i dont think its much of a problem to be honest, the same can apply to English Speaking players. There is no real language Barrier when it comes to games, as long as you play it properly no one needs to say a word.

gravityvx
Jun 28, 2012, 06:56 PM
A few jps sent me friend requests, so far they are all pretty damn cool though most of them could speak a bit of english that I've played with. Weirdly enough most of em are more fun than some of the english players I've played with, they are a lot more vocal for damn sure(even though I only partly understand what they are saying, the emotes they throw out help lol). Sounds like you had bad luck.

bonethrack
Jun 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
pretty sure i downloaded them, on several occasions. doesn't hurt to check however.

downloaded what?

CharAznable
Jun 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
I've played most of the time with japanese and they are really cool even when they only 2 or 3 words of english. Even got one who was happy i was European. Said he loved Europe. He sounded like an otaku talking about Japan but this time it was the other way :p

Cypher_9
Jun 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
I feel worse about english speaking players because you CAN understand what they say... LOL jkin

Anyway, during my time, I have joined up with a couple of my teammates and they had a japanese player with them. I felt that they where being excuded while we was talking so I taken the initiative to look at the guide here on this site but, mainly used the... google translator (OMG YOU DIDNT YOU BAKA... lol)

and the player understood the words, responding in Romaji first with the greeting... even said themselves in their own english that they understood okay. They even said they enjoyed looking at our conversation as we played further into the caves level and my teammates were using some of the romaji to describe the non-spawning of vol dragon in block 2... and they responded like how one would when we are faced with bad luck by saying "I want to face vol dragon too" basically in a joking manner.

Now I wouldn't want to make it a habit to use the translator for I would like to understand just a little bit but, its something to work with for that time.

Josh_Kain
Jun 28, 2012, 07:28 PM
I actually had a situation yesterday or the day before where I was playing forest by myself, and suddenly I was thrown into a different "instance" somehow and was with Japanese party. They typed "?!" and before I could reply I was instantly disconnected from the server.

Vylera
Jun 28, 2012, 07:38 PM
Well it's completely in their right to dislike our presence, though I wouldn't say that the correct solution is internet bullying as a means of discouraging.

You meet all kinds of people no matter what race they are. In all honesty, I don't particularly enjoy it when I'm playing on a North American server for a game and then I see foreign languages popping up all over the place.

It leaves that bad after-taste in your mouth where you can't help but think that those "other people" are making a home out of your home, and sometimes you really feel like you need to do something about it.

Same case as the topic starter, just handled in a less than optimal way.

I'm sure there are many forum topics on the JP SEGA forums about "get those gaijin obakasan tachi out of here."

It's something we have to deal with granted we're making a home out of a foreign server, and we also need to respect our absolute privilege to be playing on their servers.

As long as we behave ourselves and demonstrate a certain level of cooperation (such as not spamming symbol art and filling up the public lobby chatbox with English jibberish..reason why I left block 20), there shouldn't be any problems.

As for me, the times I've met (supposedly) Japanese people, I've been given the cold shoulder treatment. I don't try to talk to them unless they talk to me, because I don't want to be too casual. So far, no one with a Japanese IGN has spoken to me. Though, I'd really love to meet someone I could hold a Japanese conversation with.

HectorSirdam
Jun 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
Yes it is. Every class can wield it. I also heard it gives a boost in Technique attack, so I want one just for a force. I read they dropped there in Forest (around 9 found) so I was hoping I'd find one and hence my reasoning for being there.

Curses, I found one in a player shop for 60k, I should have bought it then but I thought since it was so cheap it'd be relatively easy to come by and I needed my money for grinding and tweaking gear.

Back on topic, I've had good times playing with Japanese players, got some friend invites, good jobs, and stayed in a party for a bit just grinding missions out. Probably because I'm a Force that goes and casts Resta, Shifta, and Deband on people if I see them in the vicinity fighting something. They'll then follow me throughout the multiparty areas for healing and buffing, which is something I have no problem doing. If you're not a jackass and have some semblance of knowing what to do, people are going to respond positively to you no matter where they come from.

lovelessashi
Jun 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
I actually had a conversation with some JP players about... Hentai. It was pretty hilarious seeing "i like por.n video!!!!!" in a message screen.. LOL.. Even asked what sites we liked. xD I've had a good experience with the JP players so far. They're nice :3

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
Curses, I found one in a player shop for 60k, I should have bought it then but I thought since it was so cheap it'd be relatively easy to come by and I needed my money for grinding and tweaking gear.

Back on topic, I've had good times playing with Japanese players, got some friend invites, good jobs, and stayed in a party for a bit just grinding missions out. Probably because I'm a Force that goes and casts Resta, Shifta, and Deband on people if I see them in the vicinity fighting something. They'll then follow me throughout the multiparty areas for healing and buffing, which is something I have no problem doing. If you're not a jackass and have some semblance of knowing what to do, people are going to respond positively to you no matter where they come from.

I don't check drop records all the time, and that was when I last checked (before lv30), so I can't tell you if they are only there or if they are super rare, I was just hoping I'd find one b/c you never know until you try. The only other person I've seen running around with one is Priest-HC. You can ask him I guess.

This is probably the closest/clearest screenie I have of him with it. The rest are total mayhem with explosions and effects.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/JC2900/PSO2/pso20120627_205541_012.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

noClue
Jun 28, 2012, 07:50 PM
A bunch of japanese players blame the server problems on us. Though I haven't had any issues from anyone so far, but then again if they're on 20+ then I imagine they don't have much hostility to begin with.

Hrith
Jun 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
See that's the thing. If the party comment (the Japanese do use them) was specific about something and you joined disregarding it, you can bet they'll be upset. I doubt this has anything to do with you not being Japanese.

I have played with Japanese players since PSOv1, it's always been very cool. They are usually very welcoming, as long as you do not cheat, etc. (relevant to PSO on the DC and GC).
If you can say a few sentences in their language, they're usually frantic about the idea and compliment you heartily.

The very least is being polite (hello, thank you, congratulations, etc) and not playing like a jerk (hogging kills, running ahead, not healing them if you're a force).

Scyris
Jun 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
I want to clarify that I'm not trying to suggest that JP players are bad/mean in general, just that I get the impression that EN players probably don't have a great reputation overall, and as such, I'm sure our presence in the game is annoying to some.

Honestly, if I was going to reverse the situation and pretend that I was playing a game with a predominantly-english-speaking community, and people who didn't speak english started joining MY parties constantly, I might find myself somewhat frustrated, primarily due to inability to communicate with them. So, to a certain degree, I don't think it's completely unwarranted.

The japanese people have a sickness called xenophobia, well a large percent of them do, it bascally makes them hate any race that isin't theirs. Then again I can see why they dislike english speaking players, considering how they love to hack the game and brag about it everywhere, no wonder they are disliked. Usually when I say I am from canada they tend to like me XD.

Lumir
Jun 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
Coming from someone who actually lived in Japan, well Okinawa, I can say from my experiences most the Japanese are extremely well mannered and respectful. Their culture is one of the best I have seen, especially their discipline. Me and some buddies would sometimes play basketball with Japanese our age or watch them drift/race. How I miss Japan, its people and its food... The people where so friendly towards Americans that you felt extremely welcomed.

Now in this game I have played with a few, most of them knowing at least a little English. Enough to say HI, and OK. I have also read that some people even use translators to communicate with some, even though its slow its an interesting idea.

But anyways like many have already said, people are people where ever you go. There are always a variety of kinds of people in each area of the world.

Phantasma
Jun 28, 2012, 08:21 PM
I had a nice little conversation with a party about me being American after one of them uttered the phrase "ALL DO MY BEST". They found it kinda hard to believe but I eventually convinced them through faking typos that should never happen to a native Japanese speaker...I'm on their friend list now.

Somnia
Jun 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
I'm on ship 2 and I have way more many Japanese people on my friend list than English. I even tell them that I speak English (in Japanese) and almost every one of them has been nice. I had a good time yesterday doing desert laps with a group of Japanese and they were very friendly, we even had google translate conversations (it's pretty funny).

Only once was I kicked from party for being American and I have played almost exclusively with the Japanese.

Honestly if you join the party and just say よろしくー or こんにちわ they'll never know the difference and usually not even bother you. It also helps if you know how your name is read so you'll know if they're talking to you. (My name in game is Takane, so if I see 貴音 then they're directing something at me)

Hategull
Jun 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
The japanese people have a sickness called xenophobia, well a large percent of them do

That's nothing to do with the fact they're Japanese and everything to do with the fact they're human. It goes both ways. "Jerks and saints" applies to pretty much any group.

Quite a few Japanese players have joined my missions and I've had a really good time playing with them. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, OP.

Variance
Jun 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
Coming from someone who actually lived in Japan, well Okinawa, I can say from my experiences most the Japanese are extremely well mannered and respectful. Their culture is one of the best I have seen, especially their discipline. Me and some buddies would sometimes play basketball with Japanese our age or watch them drift/race. How I miss Japan, its people and its food... The people where so friendly towards Americans that you felt extremely welcomed.

I'm not sure if you visited the mainland much when you were there, but Okinawans are... fairly different from mainland Japanese. I would even go so far as to say that Okinawans in general tend to love Americans, haha.

That's nothing to do with the fact they're Japanese and everything to do with the fact they're human. It goes both ways. "Jerks and saints" applies to pretty much any group.

Quite a few Japanese players have joined my missions and I've had a really good time playing with them. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, OP.
Both of you are right, to be honest. While you have racism in almost any culture, Japan stands out as being much more noticeable in the general population's xenophobia when compared to other 1st-world countries. This is likely partially due to the absence of discrimination laws found in the US or most European countries.

Arkives
Jun 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
Eh, it comes with the territory. Anyone play Final Fantasy XI lol? I'm talking old day FFXI? Remember the messages some say? JP ONRY? lol.

<Mana> <Burn> <Party> <Do you need it?> JP ONRY <Thank you>

I remember it a lot (Happens in FFXIV too) lol But I never had a problem much in FFXI... even had a JP LS and one player had a crush on me and went out of his way to learn English just to talk to me

Kion
Jun 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
From what I gather, Japanese players generally know that blocks 20,21, and 22 are used by the english speaking population. I've never run into any problems and JP players that join parties often try to speak a little english or just get by with not talking.

For any other block, pretty much if you fill in autoword with the appropriate sayings, then you're not going to run into too much problems. All of the JP rooms I've been in, no one has been very talkative. I played the desert mission in a full 12 person multiparty area for hours and no one said a word. So pretty much just don't talk and no one will know.

One thing I do think that people can do more is freakin' label your parties. From the block 20 mission counter it's pretty hard to figure out which parties are EN and which are JP. It would be a nice common courtesy to label your party 'psow' or 'en' somewhere in the description so that people have any easy distinction for which parties to join.

ZIE creations
Jun 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
From what I gather, Japanese players generally know that blocks 20,21, and 22 are used by the english speaking population. I've never run into any problems and JP players that join parties often try to speak a little english or just get by with not talking.

For any other block, pretty much if you fill in autoword with the appropriate sayings, then you're not going to run into too much problems. All of the JP rooms I've been in, no one has been very talkative. I played the desert mission in a full 12 person multiparty area for hours and no one said a word. So pretty much just don't talk and no one will know.

One thing I do think that people can do more is freakin' label your parties. From the block 20 mission counter it's pretty hard to figure out which parties are EN and which are JP. It would be a nice common courtesy to label your party 'psow' or 'en' somewhere in the description so that people have any easy distinction for which parties to join.

About the comments/label I think saying "PSO-w" or "EN"/"English" would seem like you were making the party exclusive to that. I think it would be better if people would put a kind label/comment in English like "Please join" or "Just killing dragon へ。へ” that way there is a notice of English but it doesn't display any kind of possible restrictions. From now on I'm putting an English label/comment since my character name is in katakana which makes some think I'm Japanese >.<

goldbrease
Jun 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
downloaded what?

a system's language file, however i did check in system languages, and i found i had only 1 text format installed, and i had to check box advanced language options and install about a dozen more Japanese text formats.

(set the install and restart while i got dinner)

this seems to have fixed the problem and i can no see the characters properly.

kp77
Jun 28, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure if you visited the mainland much when you were there, but Okinawans are... fairly different from mainland Japanese. I would even go so far as to say that Okinawans in general tend to love Americans, haha.

Both of you are right, to be honest. While you have racism in almost any culture, Japan stands out as being much more noticeable in the general population's xenophobia when compared to other 1st-world countries. This is likely partially due to the absence of discrimination laws found in the US or most European countries.

I still think a large part of this is due to big misunderstandings between cultures, etiquette is very different in Japanese, to the point that things that may be considered extremely rude or provocative are actually an act of kindness and/or the normal way of doing things.

From my experience of playing with a lot of regular Japanese players, one thing that I do encourage is that most English players should at least learn how to greet when entering a party, leaving a party and set-up some auto-words as doing that goes a long way. Also, mingle a bit more, the segregation and fact that most Japanese players know that English players are in Blocks 20-22 most of the time doesn't help.

Chik'Tikka
Jun 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
I still think a large part of this is due to big misunderstandings between cultures, etiquette is very different in Japanese, to the point that things that may be considered extremely rude or provocative are actually an act of kindness and/or the normal way of doing things.

From my experience of playing with a lot of regular Japanese players, one thing that I do encourage is that most English players should at least learn how to greet when entering a party, leaving a party and set-up some auto-words as doing that goes a long way. Also, mingle a bit more, the segregation and fact that most Japanese players know that English players are in Blocks 20-22 most of the time doesn't help.

lol, i like that, my ma always pushed good manners on me, and i have a strong habit of asking if it's alright to join the party when i enter one with English players, and i always say good bye when i leave+^_^+

Swaggerjak
Jun 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
Let's get right down to the point. It doesn't matter what they think of you... you're going to play until Sega either bans/prevents you from playing. Just because the japanese might get upset with you won't stop you from playing, so why do you care? Seriously. Look at it realistically.

ZIE creations
Jun 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
Let's get right down to the point. It doesn't matter what they think of you... you're going to play until Sega either bans/prevents you from playing. Just because the japanese might get upset with you won't stop you from playing, so why do you care? Seriously. Look at it realistically.

I can see a reason to care. If you were continually assaulted or harrased by 99% of the games population and had no chance to communicate with them, even with that 1% in which you are very happy for, does it help you enjoy the game? It makes you feel hated and unwanted which, by human nature, makes you want to leave...

Swaggerjak
Jun 28, 2012, 09:28 PM
I can see a reason to care. If you were continually assaulted or harrased by 99% of the games population and had no chance to communicate with them, even with that 1% in which you are very happy for, does it help you enjoy the game? It makes you feel hated and unwanted which, by human nature, makes you want to leave...

Ignore them? Don't go to heavily Japanese areas? I assume you've been outside your house before... not everyone is friendly, no matter how friendly you may be. If you feel hated and unwanted in an area, remove yourself from that area. If someone across the internet really bothers you that much... I'd recommend adapting a new thought-pattern in life. Simple solutions to over-blown problems.

Zyrusticae
Jun 28, 2012, 09:34 PM
About the comments/label I think saying "PSO-w" or "EN"/"English" would seem like you were making the party exclusive to that. I think it would be better if people would put a kind label/comment in English like "Please join" or "Just killing dragon へ。へ” that way there is a notice of English but it doesn't display any kind of possible restrictions. From now on I'm putting an English label/comment since my character name is in katakana which makes some think I'm Japanese >.<
Haha, if you think having a name in kana is bad, try having a name in Kanji. ^^; Fools even the JP players! Not a good thing, since my knowledge of Japanese is barely functional at best...

Still, I really love having my character's name in Kanji. So many interpretations...

ZIE creations
Jun 28, 2012, 09:34 PM
Ignore them? Don't go to heavily Japanese areas? I assume you've been outside your house before... not everyone is friendly, no matter how friendly you may be. If you feel hated and unwanted in an area, remove yourself from that area. If someone across the internet really bothers you that much... I'd recommend adapting a new thought-pattern in life. Simple solutions to over-blown problems.

I don't think you fully understood my post but oh well ^.^

I honestly couldn't care less what others think. I was raised to be who I am and others can be who they want to be, if they wana be jerk they can be but I won't change because of it ^.^ Not everyone is like that tho. Also your example kind of contradicts what you state lol. Ignoring people isn't as easy as it would seem and you would have to exclude then completely to never run into them. This would also dodge any of the nice people there may be beyond the 1% I spoke of.

If you go to a store and the sale lady yelled at you for wearing stupid shoes and pulled a gun on you, do you want to go back?

kp77
Jun 28, 2012, 09:35 PM

Have you had that bad an experiences with Japanese people? Or maybe just not interested in the community :-?

Garnet_Moon
Jun 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
We're not "Taking over" anything. Compared to the Japanese community, we're not even a significant number for them to care about.

ryoko227
Jun 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Time for my 2yen...

I have had no issues playing with the Japanese. While I can read and write some Japanese I am by no means fluent or anything. I just try to let them know I don't speak very well, and haven't had any problems.

Things that I have noticed might/will cause problems in game, are the same that I've noticed while living here.

1)挨拶ーあいさつーaisatsu, or greetings are EXTREMELY important in Japanese culture. I know we don't generally give 2 @#$%s about the people we are playing with, but they generally do. There are plenty of quick phrases posted all over this forum. If you are going to join Japanese parties I would recommend and ask that you try using them.

2)Japanese humor is NOT based on sarcasm/trolling like ours in the "westernized world." Unless that Japanese person has lived outside of Japan, they will 9/10 not understand it and probably be insulted by it.

I know there are some people who don't give a damn about anyone or anything and will be asshats no matter what. However, I know that most of the PSO community is the exact opposite of that, and is playing for the love of the game, and/or the culture that created it. Whether or not your understand it, agree with it or not. We are all categorized as 外国人-がいこくじん(foreigners/outsiders). What each of you do reflects upon all of us.

/off the soapbox

Swaggerjak
Jun 28, 2012, 09:54 PM
Have you had that bad an experiences with Japanese people? Or maybe just not interested in the community :-?

I haven't had a bad experience with the Japanese community at all, I'm simply saying that the people who have had negative run ins are being nancys and over-reacting to it. Like I already said, in the end it doesn't matter. You will play regardless. Making a big deal about a negative run in is dumb. As for the "store clerk pulling a gun" analogy. That was terrible, these people aren't actually threatening your life. God, get real. lol

SolRiver
Jun 28, 2012, 09:55 PM
I am curious if there is a correlation in your character name and the chance of japanese player being friendly to you.

I would think people with japanese-ish name (actual japanese name or english japanese name) have easier time to mix in.

Example: (on an English server) Do you think you would be effected when someone named جهاد‎ enter the room (which you cant even pronounce)? Would you be more willing to talk if the person name is Jihad instead?

I do remember that a friend of mine had easy time dealing with japanese back in PSOv1. Yet, I have a ton of trouble to get japanese to talk to me. Yes, his name was in japanese english style. Mine was not. This experience probably generated a bit of bias for me.

Kanore
Jun 28, 2012, 09:58 PM
i remember during the PSO GC days when JP and EN ships were joined, there were rumors that all the uber rare drops that were duped like the tsumikiri j-sword originally came from japanese players

japanese players would come to EN ships and make drop parties. and they weren't like the crappy english player drop parties where people would just empty their banks of fake db and flowen swords... they always gave quality stuff.

there are probably japanese players that don't like english players but i'm pretty sure only a few hundred thousand japanese are playing and there's a bunch of ships to fill so screw the guys who don't like us for whatever reason

i don't think there are much

Phantasma
Jun 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
Wow. I'm going to check JP PSO2 forums to see if they're blowing this up as much as psow is.

gigawuts
Jun 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
I wasn't aware an playerbase could be judged based on the actions of a few people. If so, us english speakers are real dicks with our symbol art and stuff.

I made nice with a japanese player. He joined our game and we beat a level. Then he said some squiggles that sounded nice in google translate, so we friended him.

Phantasma
Jun 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
I made nice with a japanese player. He joined our game and we beat a level. Then he said some squiggles that sounded nice in google translate, so we friended him.

^This is how things should work. Glad you're having a good experience.

njdss4
Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
I haven't had any negative experiences with Japanese players in PSO2, but that's because I avoid contact with them. I had a long string of very bad experiences with JP players in Final Fantasy XI (racism, elitism, and straight up xenophobia) so I don't see why I should waste my time trying to group with people who will most likely hate me just because of where I'm from.

Garnet_Moon
Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
I wasn't aware an playerbase could be judged based on the actions of a few people.
...alguem br?

RocSage
Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
Anyone else notice that this same thing gets brought up every few weeks by someone with a new account?

Does that strike anyone else as someone making multiple accounts to bring up the same subject up over and over again?

ZIE creations
Jun 28, 2012, 10:28 PM
Anyone else notice that this same thing gets brought up every few weeks by someone with a new account?

Does that strike anyone else as someone making multiple accounts to bring up the same subject up over and over again?

Could be, either way it's a decent topic to be honest. Either that or more experienced players / forum goers just don't run into the same issues because they know what to look for lol

BogusKun
Jun 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
I tend to blend in with both Japanese and English speaking crowds. My Japanese level is a high intermediate and I let them know who I am. Some already know me in person so it's not a problem. Most Japanese were surprised at the huge number of English-speaking people on their game, but had no worry. It's helping their economy for the most part, and they are still technically ahead of the majority of players seeing that they do not have a language barrier to deal with. Thus, the ones I know are more than okay about us being on.

KanekoSaya
Jun 28, 2012, 10:34 PM
I tend to blend in with both Japanese and English speaking crowds. My Japanese level is a high intermediate and I let them know who I am. Some already know me in person so it's not a problem. Most Japanese were surprised at the huge number of English-speaking people on their game, but had no worry. It's helping their economy for the most part, and they are still technically ahead of the majority of players seeing that they do not have a language barrier to deal with. Thus, the ones I know are more than okay about us being on.
That's good. I haven't really talked to any Japanese yet but my moonrunes are pretty good...

BogusKun
Jun 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
That's good. I haven't really talked to any Japanese yet but my moonrunes are pretty good...

I think I might've seen you in the lobby talking about that the other day. Ship 2 Block 21 or 22.
Whichever, be sure to say "Hi" to me. (Yscariot)

Finetic
Jun 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
I haven't had any negative experiences with Japanese players in PSO2, but that's because I avoid contact with them. I had a long string of very bad experiences with JP players in Final Fantasy XI (racism, elitism, and straight up xenophobia) so I don't see why I should waste my time trying to group with people who will most likely hate me just because of where I'm from.

This is somewhat alarming to me. I too played FFXI for years and in that time I always found Japanese parties more than willing to welcome English speaking players. They were some of the most stress free and efficient EXP parties I found, all of them, very friendly and polite to me personally. Never in my experience was there any party wipe followed by "dude, urbad" *kicked from party* that you found a lot in other groups. :-x

This just goes to show that as stated many times previously in this thread that no matter the race/ethnicity in question, we're just human. Some people are open-minded and welcome the idea of mingling with others whose culture is vastly different, others simply feel uncomfortable and strongly opposed to it.

To each their own I suppose. The world wouldn't be what it is without a little contrast.

KanekoSaya
Jun 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
I think I might've seen you in the lobby talking about that the other day. Ship 2 Block 21 or 22.
Whichever, be sure to say "Hi" to me. (Yscariot)

Aw okay :DDDD I will

Phantasma
Jun 28, 2012, 10:50 PM

Now that you mention it..........

But that doesn't change the fact that the threads get multiple pages of replies instead of getting locked/deleted immediately.

And I didn't see any of the JP pso2 forums blowing us up for being there so I'm sure these are just isolated issues....if they're even worth calling issues.

moorebounce
Jun 28, 2012, 10:53 PM
should of just shoutd LEEEROYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and entered the portal yourself man. don't even wait for their bullshit loool

I wasn't the leader until everybody left.

Rhypht
Jun 28, 2012, 10:55 PM
Maybe you just got unlucky. I've joined a few JP open games, and even had a few Japanese players join mine. Everyone that I've met has been really nice to me, despite the language barrier. There are probably a few who are mad at non-Japanese players in the game, but all in all the community has always been rather accepting.

Skids
Jun 28, 2012, 10:59 PM
From what I experience with Japanesse player have been pretty positive. Even had a nice discussion with an english speaking Japanesse player on block 20. Where the player was curious about the english speaking community. Like if we were all from US and the type of players we are. Where me and few othe rplayers brought up the Europe which some were and explaining your going to see mix of mature and unmature players on the english side which is normal to the player. S it seem everything went well and hopefully help the Japanesse player.

BIG OLAF
Jun 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
I tend to avoid JP players. Not because I don't like them, but because I can't communicate with them at all, and it's a struggle I'd rather not partake in (yes, I know people have 'useful Japanese phrases' topics, but I can't be bothered with all that; it's easier to just not put myself in a situation where I'd need to use those phrases anyway). I just stick to playing with other EN players.

Well, all that and I'd probably get pretty anxious being around them, seeing as the whole "these people speak a different language than me oh my god they're probably making fun of me right now" panic/paranoia mode would take over.

But, if a JP players joins my party, I won't be rude or anything. If they say 'hello' (in English), I'll say it back.

Windadept
Jun 28, 2012, 11:16 PM
Since my character name is in katakana most mistake me for a Japanese player, interesting conversation ensues, and of course, they always get surprised when I tell them I'm not Japanese.
True story.

Though, after a long day at work, thinking in Japanese is a headache, so I try to avoid Japanese players when I'm tired.

Draconum
Jun 28, 2012, 11:20 PM

I'll note that my account was made in 2009... -_-

Phantasma
Jun 28, 2012, 11:22 PM
I tend to avoid JP players. Not because I don't like them, but because I can't communicate with them at all, and it's a struggle I'd rather not partake in (yes, I know people have 'useful Japanese phrases' topics, but I can't be bothered with all that; it's easier to just not put myself in a situation where I'd need to use those phrases anyway). I just stick to playing with other EN players.

Well, all that and I'd probably get pretty anxious being around them, seeing as the whole "these people speak a different language than me oh my god they're probably making fun of me right now" panic/paranoia mode would take over.

But, if a JP players joins my party, I won't be rude or anything. If they say 'hello' (in English), I'll say it back.

...Also an appropriate "approach" to the situation...lol

Can't really see what people can do in a cooperative game that has separate loot to piss other people off besides finishing a boss in a party that is farming free field. `-`

Spellbinder
Jun 28, 2012, 11:25 PM

I can guarantee you that's how many of them feel as well. :) I wouldn't worry about it.

njdss4
Jun 28, 2012, 11:28 PM
This is somewhat alarming to me. I too played FFXI for years and in that time I always found Japanese parties more than willing to welcome English speaking players. They were some of the most stress free and efficient EXP parties I found, all of them, very friendly and polite to me personally. Never in my experience was there any party wipe followed by "dude, urbad" *kicked from party* that you found a lot in other groups. :-x

This just goes to show that as stated many times previously in this thread that no matter the race/ethnicity in question, we're just human. Some people are open-minded and welcome the idea of mingling with others whose culture is vastly different, others simply feel uncomfortable and strongly opposed to it.

To each their own I suppose. The world wouldn't be what it is without a little contrast.

Your experiences are the polar opposite of what I had, and that's a bit depressing because it basically killed the game for me. There was no reason to play when I couldn't find a competent English group, and the JP groups kept doing the <English> <No Thanks.> <JP> <Only> (or something like that) in the auto-translate.

Speaking of which, I wonder why no other game has used the auto-translate that FFXI has?

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 11:32 PM
Your experiences are the polar opposite of what I had, and that's a bit depressing because it basically killed the game for me. There was no reason to play when I couldn't find a competent English group, and the JP groups kept doing the <English> <No Thanks.> <JP> <Only> (or something like that) in the auto-translate.

Speaking of which, I wonder why no other game has used the auto-translate that FFXI has?

Probably because it takes a huge amount of resources/time to do so; it was one of the reasons why PSO took so long to come out originally.
Yes, PSO did have a translation function, known as "Word-select" I believe.
They translated around 6 languages I believe, and had 25k (or was it 2.5k?) phrases, which is pretty impressive.
The biggest reason why auto-translates aren't added into games is because you have to dedicate a huge amount of time to them, and they aren't seen as cost-efficient.

njdss4
Jun 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
Probably because it takes a huge amount of resources/time to do so; it was one of the reasons why PSO took so long to come out originally.
Yes, PSO did have a translation function, known as "Word-select" I believe.
They translated around 6 languages I believe, and had 25k (or was it 2.5k?) phrases, which is pretty impressive.
The biggest reason why auto-translates aren't added into games is because you have to dedicate a huge amount of time to them, and they aren't seen as cost-efficient.

I wonder if SEGA could just buy the feature from Squeenix and put it into the game. SEGA probably doesn't care, though, because everything points to the game being released in multiple regions around the world.

Hrith
Jun 28, 2012, 11:39 PM
SEGA could just reuse the Word Select from PSO on the Gamecube... It was terrific.

Ueno54
Jun 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
Reminds me a bit of FFXI from what I've seen so far. They're indifferent to me as if I'm a stray cat.

CrAZYVIC.
Jun 29, 2012, 12:12 AM
Not all JP are players are racist douches. In FFXI i have very good JP friends.

But for to honest, the jp players just dont like play with any person not JP talker.

Some silly excuses.

1.- It's because we can not communicate with English people.
2.- The English players are bad players.
3.- English people is very rude, gross and they play for very short periods of time.

In my EXP in FFXI like 8 years playing, Almost all the jp douches, have a superiority complex.

In the Jp education system. Since a JP kid start the school, they have as mandatory school subject "English". So "I dont speak any english" is just lol.

For the love of devil. Is a "beta" try stick with the Ships 02 or 10. Seriously is a beta, enjoy it.

darkante
Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 AM
Funny i've seen some bad JP players.
Although, whenever i talk Swedish you can bet i'm not talking shit to people.

CrAZYVIC.
Jun 29, 2012, 12:25 AM
whenever i talk Swedish you can bet i'm not talking shit to people.

Same here when i speak Spanish xD. In general they call English people all no JP talker.

Spellbinder
Jun 29, 2012, 01:00 AM
In the Jp education system. Since a JP kid start the school, they have as mandatory school subject "English". So "I dont speak any english" is just lol.

It's not 'lol', it's truth. I live here, and when I meet people who speak just a little English I ask them when they started learning. The answer is always that they started in middle school but they can't speak for diddly squat.

It' like back when I was in school. I took german for maybe 6 years and spanish for 2, heaven knows I can't speak either language.

Kanore
Jun 29, 2012, 01:35 AM
I have a friend from another site who's working in Japan. he said he read 2ch one day on the train and they were talking about us... he mentioned this:

They're split between ships 9 and 2

one said he regretted using a japanese name because people couldn't type it

another thing about how some english people are so good at the game it's scary despite everything being in japanese

Finalzone
Jun 29, 2012, 01:42 AM
Interesting enough, while battling Koltava (that dragon snake like boss), I revived three times a japanese player lvl 16 characters, I was three levels below. He (she) thanked for being helpful and left after completing missioin.

At the end, it really depends of people.

Swaggerjak
Jun 29, 2012, 01:51 AM
It might be the moonshine, but this thread has entertained the l-l311 outta me.

Phaesphora
Jun 29, 2012, 07:46 AM
No negative experiences so far. I leave my party open, mark it as casual and state in the description that I don't read kanji, full disclosure. I mostly just get involved in multiparty missions, which are a blast, and I've seen personalities both reserved and hilarious.

NoiseHERO
Jun 29, 2012, 07:50 AM
another thing about how some english people are so good at the game it's scary despite everything being in japanese

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Well...

You know. 8D

Ranmaru
Jun 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
I just danced with these 3 japanese people. I said something (and they said something back) and I used google translate and got:

"The Japanese language too ... suspicious
Different languages ​​is impossible ~Tsu"

Which I assume they were saying that they didn't understand what I said, which is understandable.

I wouldn't mind PLAYING with a japanese player, as long as I can like signal them or something so they know that I want to play. Maybe just invite them to party and see what they do from there.

Arika
Jun 29, 2012, 10:07 AM

So in other words, we do the same thing as they're doing. Meaning, some of us get pissed off when we have to deal with foreigners; some of us are fascinated with the foreigners and use what little broken sentences of their language we have, and some of us just feel uncomfortable not being able to communicate under the eye of scrutiny.

Would like to back up. These posts pretty much sum this thread up.

Add up : People are same everywhere, there are dumb kids and matured adult included. you shouldn't thing everybody is the same just from few cases you ever seen.