PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Hunters, Rangers and the "Gunsaber"

Twigod
Jun 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of the new saber/handgun combined weapon and I was really wanting to build a mag towards that. My question is, is the "Gunsaber" weapon more viable for Rangers, Hunters or both? And which class has the highest drop rate for them?

Emery25
Jun 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'd say both and i believe they have similar drop rates for both classes.

Dan Maku
All classes can use Gunslashes. In my opinion, the class-specific weapons are better in general. The Gunslashes are, nonetheless, decent weapons.

Alenoir
I get quite a bit of them as drops on a ranger. Not sure about the viable part though, but I guess it depends on what you're gonna use more, the sword part or the gun part.

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 08:20 PM
GunSlashes use both S-Atk and R-atk.
But it depends do you want to use Ranged weapons with it also or, Melee weapons with them or do you want to just use them?
If just them think of it what would you use more the gun mode or sword mode? If gun mode go ranger, if sword mode go hunter.

Twigod
Jun 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
All classes can use Gunslashes. In my opinion, the class-specific weapons are better in general. The Gunslashes are, nonetheless, decent weapons.

Interesting, I had a feeling I'd be sacrificing some viability just for "cool" factor, but seeing as this isn't a PvP game I think i'm willing to make the trade off.

Dinosaur
Jun 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
Hunter definitely makes the best use of the Gunslash. It is considered a hunter weapon so you have access to dash attack. Fury Stance also works really well with a gunslash as it raises both S-atk and R-atk(the two stats that the gunslash is all about).

AlMcFly
Jun 28, 2012, 08:34 PM
I didn't start using a Gun Slash until Level 20 when I actually started trying to formally complete Client Orders (before I was just letting them randomly complete over time lol). I must say though I didn't give it enough credit. I have the PA's multiple stab linked with the whirlwind type dive-at-them PA and I was mowing through mobs, as a Ranger no less. I do agree with proper dash-skill upgrades though the weapon can probably be beastly.

As a blade of course. I still think the shooting functionality of it is pretty useless compared to both other Ranger weapons. I don't even think it's worth it for a Hunter to switch out of blade mode.

P.S. I think I got more Gun Slash drops in general when I had one equipped. I always saw them regardless. But once it was the weapon I used, they seem to drop like a ghetto chick's booty.

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 08:35 PM
Gunslashes are also very fast.

Sigmund
Jun 28, 2012, 08:40 PM
Here's a post made by a fellow forum member who really develops on the power of the Gunslash, have a look: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2782478&postcount=31
Go ahead and check out the rest of the topic to see the rest of the discussion.

RocSage
Jun 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Gunblades are classified as Ranger weapons according to the way the game is designed it seems.

The requirement for using the various ones are met at lower Ranger levels

I think it is the weakest overall weapon, but I like it. I'd prefer a saber by itself though.

Also you might consider Force + GunBlade. Throw the Techniques on your tray and it is fairly interesting to play that way, but it is probably the least optimal way to play with weapons that are 33% of their normal strength and GunBlade taking it's stats from stats that Forces don't have. You might however be able to make up for this if you have high level Shifta.

iwerkout
Jun 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
I would go with what everyone else is saying, that your main weapons will do more damage, but both are equally fine for using a gunblade.

I believe the damage comes out based on the skill and simple attack you are using.
If you use a melee like attack/skill, (like simple slashing attack or multiple stabs skill) that will be based on your melee attack power.
If you use a gun like attack/skill (like simple shooting attack or the roll back and throw grenade skill) that will based on your ranged damage.

I wouldn't underestimate it though. With that one grenade skill, it does four AOE hits. As a mid-level ranger I have done 500's. So 500x4 as a quick AOE is pretty sweet. Specially when the best I can get out of my grenade launcher atm is 400s with my best skills.

Vylera
Jun 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
Gunslashes are the best weapon for boss killing.

Even after you get weak bullet for assault rifles, you want to switch back to gunslash shoot mode and destroy that weak point.

500-700 damage per gunslash shot for 10 seconds straight uninterupted is crazy damage.

For a hunter, just use partisans. Gunslash PAs can't compare, and partisans have better AoE. Similar attack speeds.

Claxus
Jun 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
Using the Gunblade on my Force wasn't too bad, the melee damage was pretty nice, but the ranged mode damage was pitiful...

On my Ranger, I use it most of the time, not just because I like it so much, but it's actually pretty effective. It doesn't plow through groups of enemies, but concentrating on a single enemy, the damage is pretty impressive. The ranged mode hits pretty hard. I haven't really tested it, but it seems like it would do more damage than an Assault Rifle only counting normal shots over time, because it hits big numbers at a very fast rate, with a very short reload.

AlMcFly
Jun 28, 2012, 08:57 PM
Gunslashes are the best weapon for boss killing.

Even after you get weak bullet for assault rifles, you want to switch back to gunslash shoot mode and destroy that weak point.

500-700 damage per gunslash shot for 10 seconds straight uninterupted is crazy damage.

For a hunter, just use partisans. Gunslash PAs can't compare, and partisans have better AoE. Similar attack speeds.

Not really in my opinion. I'm level 20, using a rank 5 Weak Bullet, then switch to launcher and use the Single Power shot PA and am easily doing over 2000 per hit. This is only a 4* launcher but grinded (ground?) to +10. I don't think Gun Slash can compete with that.

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hope you all know there is no best weapon for something.

GoldenFalcon
Jun 28, 2012, 09:02 PM

"best" could mean best for damage, and as such, weapons balanced for things other than damage are inferior to most people

Vylera
Jun 28, 2012, 09:04 PM
Not really in my opinion. I'm level 20, using a rank 5 Weak Bullet, then switch to launcher and use the Single Power shot PA and am easily doing over 2000 per hit. I don't think Gun Slash can compete with that.

I think it's very possible to get 3 or 4 gun slash shots in before that launcher PA hits target (has that extra loading time), in which case it's very viable competition.

Not to mention you'll never run out of PP with gunslash JA, you won't miss when a boss goes in the air/underground mid-fire, and you can move without restricted cursor movement.

Launchers are good for clearing trash mobs in the field, but I prefer precision and speed on bosses and champs.

Dinosaur
Jun 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Gunblades are classified as Ranger weapons according to the way the game is designed it seems.

They use the Hunter custom combo system and also use the Hunter dash. I think that classifies as a Hunter weapon...

AlMcFly
Jun 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
I think it's very possible to get 3 or 4 gun slash shots in before that launcher PA hits target (has that extra loading time), in which case it's very viable competition.

Not to mention you'll never run out of PP with gunslash JA, you won't miss when a boss goes in the air/underground mid-fire, and you can move without restricted cursor movement.

Launchers are good for clearing trash mobs in the field, but I prefer precision and speed on bosses and champs.

Meh too each his own, I don't find myself being too inaccurate with launchers. I personally think that when/if I switch classes to Force that I may play a Buffing Gunblade Force. I can't see myself with fruity wands or cards ;)

Vylera
Jun 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
They use the Hunter custom combo system and also use the Hunter dash. I think that classifies as a Hunter weapon...

The weapon itself is orange, indicating that it's a hunter weapon.

However, the client orders for gunslash-related objectives are unlocked while playing a ranger.

It's a pretty shifty line.

Bottom line is that it's a hybrid weapon.

Meh too each his own)

Of course. We've both found our way of doing things, and both work based on our experience.

Dinosaur
Jun 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
However, the client orders for gunslash-related objectives are unlocked while playing a ranger.

That's only because Lisa wants you to shoot things and anything involving Lisa is an exception.

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
"best" could mean best for damage, and as such, weapons balanced for things other than damage are inferior to most people

#1 weapon for someone is the most fun weapon they use.

Vylera
Jun 28, 2012, 09:10 PM
That's only because Lisa wants you to shoot things and anything involving Lisa is an exception.

ふふふっふふ!

GoldenFalcon
Jun 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
#1 weapon for someone is the most fun weapon they use.

Most fun could mean winning the fastest, or just big numbers
I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just the mentality that brings out the flaws of other weapon types

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
Most fun could mean winning the fastest, or just big numbers
I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just the mentality that brings out the flaws of other weapon types

Though all weapons bring out big numbers if you build it right with the skill tree.

DreXxiN
Jun 28, 2012, 09:16 PM
Though all weapons bring out big numbers if you build it right with the skill tree.

Something will still always be the most efficient and some people enjoy number crunching and being efficient.

RocSage

Not true. GunBlades take a major hit due to their versatility and they'd' be have higher stats if the gun and blade parts were split apart, but because they are the same weapon the developers have decided to lower the overall damage, made up for slightly by the fact it draws on a second stat as well, but you also lose out on any specific skills for it in either hunter, ranger, or force trees, and you can't block or call up any single particular PA on a whim nor do you have Gear gauge for it.

The only place I've found it real useful is hitting Thrillsplosion and destroying a mob group and in Dark Ragne when it starts running on the walls. It's also useful if I want to be serious on a "Za" or "El" mob, but usually it's not worth the trouble to do so.

Breedas, Karongo's and a number of other mobs are much better handles by any other hunter weapon, due to the ability to grab, Launcher due to how you use it for Ranger, and Spells are better in general for Fo.

I'm not saying it's a bad weapon. I certainly like it, but it is just slightly out of balance due to the way it's built with having a lack of those abilities from those other weapons and classes along with the generally lower damage than it should have if the two weapons were separated.

AlMcFly
Big numbers really only matter in endgame in which most efficient needs to be used to get a certain time or speed clear. Until the game necessitates that, it really doesn't matter yet. Most mobs are easy enough with even the most gimped weapons.

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
I don't see why people are so worried about huge numbers when it's only pve.

Sigmund
Jun 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
However, the quest that tells you to kill Vol Dragon with only the Gunslash is by being a Ranger. This is a really tough question crack. =P

DreXxiN
Jun 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
I don't see why people are so worried about huge numbers when it's only pve.

Opinions and preferences..everyone has them. People that do care might not understand why you don't :).

Windadept
Jun 28, 2012, 11:30 PM
I think the only downfall of the gunslash is that none of the class skill trees have a Gear skill for it.
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but switching between modes sets the Just attack circle.

Hrith
Jun 28, 2012, 11:35 PM
Gunblades have terrible DPS as ranger or hunter, I do not see why one would use them (well I guess hunters can use it as their only gun option, but they have much better ranged attacks). All PAs are quite bad and do (very) little damage, too.

Anyway, if you are using them anyway, know that the weapon mode determines which ATK type it will use for damage, including PAs, so if you are a hunter, do not use PAs while in gun mode and vice versa.

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
Gunblades have terrible DPS as ranger or hunter, I do not see why one would use them (well I guess hunters can use it as their only gun option, but they have much better ranged attacks). All PAs are quite bad and do (very) little damage, too.

Anyway, if you are using them anyway, know that the weapon mode determines which ATK type it will use for damage, including PAs, so if you are a hunter, do not use PAs while in gun mode and vice versa.

Please do some more research about weapons and such.

GoldenFalcon
Jun 28, 2012, 11:45 PM
lol Lostbob

The backroll grenade on gunblade is very effective, and the also fast shoot speed should make it better than assault rifle for its normal combo

Twigod
Jun 29, 2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the tremendous replies everyone

Please do some more research about weapons and such.

Can you elaborate some more? I was confused on what he meant as well.

Now my main question is, if I'm in gun-mode as a Hunter, with palette attacks that are all completely melee, will my left click still do R-Atk and my right click do S-Atk?

Geistritter
Jun 29, 2012, 01:57 AM
He means "I don't use them/like them so they must be bad".

Quite the contrary, actually; while most of the PAs admittedly aren't great, the good ones fill out an offense for both hunters and rangers, and as mentioned before, they're among a Hunter's best boss options currently, if not the best flat out. I couldn't tell you who gets the best use out of them (though I'd say it's Hunter if learning their PAs is based off of one's Slashing stat rather than Ability, because it isn't Ranged), but they still have a place for both classes that isn't filled as reliably or as quickly elsewhere.

Bradders
Jun 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
They need to bring a gunsaber that looks like squalls from FF8 that would look sick
Original:
http://sworddueling.com/uploads/Ffviii_squalls_gunblade.PNG
Lionheart (ultimate weapon):
http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/vi/images/4/41/Gunblade_Lionheart_2.jpg

Claxus
Jul 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
I love the versatility of this weapon. Got lucky enough to get all the PAs (4?) for it, and I really love all of its attacks and combo ability. I've been playing as a Ranger, and the normal shots are really nice. The melee mode is a little more damaging, but the shot mode is much quicker and safer.

Well, I want to make a Gunblade build... Now I know it depends on which mode you want to use the most. But how does a Mag come into play? Is it possible to, for example, feed your Mag guns as a Hunter to create a sort of balance? I know that it would gimp me in equipping rare Hunter weapons and potential damage, but in terms of balance, how effective would it be to feed a Mag for the alternate class?

RavenLeader
Jul 2, 2012, 09:36 PM
I love the versatility of this weapon. Got lucky enough to get all the PAs (4?) for it, and I really love all of its attacks and combo ability. I've been playing as a Ranger, and the normal shots are really nice. The melee mode is a little more damaging, but the shot mode is much quicker and safer.

Well, I want to make a Gunblade build... Now I know it depends on which mode you want to use the most. But how does a Mag come into play? Is it possible to, for example, feed your Mag guns as a Hunter to create a sort of balance? I know that it would gimp me in equipping rare Hunter weapons and potential damage, but in terms of balance, how effective would it be to feed a Mag for the alternate class?

Hate to get you frantic but your missing a 2 PAs there are 6 PAs for every melee weapon, there are 2 range style pa's the laser charge shot, and the grenade throw roll back (which rocks against mobs) and then theres 4 melee (some with a single shot at the end of the PA) so you got some hunting to do :)

Icecold
Jul 2, 2012, 09:50 PM

I would have to echo the statement made by a few others here that the rolling grenade toss PA is freakin awesome. It does a ton of aoe damage making it great for cleaning up groups. It's also great in boss fights because it hits 4-5 times(not sure but someone said 4). Dropping it on a weak point does pretty great damage and usually clears out a few adds at the same time. Once I discovered this PA my opinion of gunblades went from "meh" to "heck yea"

Claxus
Jul 2, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hate to get you frantic but your missing a 2 PAs there are 6 PAs for every melee weapon, there are 2 range style pa's the laser charge shot, and the grenade throw roll back (which rocks against mobs) and then theres 4 melee (some with a single shot at the end of the PA) so you got some hunting to do :)

That's great, then. Still need one ranged and one melee. Just assumed I had them all because in two accounts, I've collected the same 3 (not counting the starter). I'll look forward to getting the other two. And yeah, I got the grenade PA, it's really cool (I like using it in the air for the fancy roll), but feels almost broken sometimes.

Actually, one of my favorite skills is the default, because both hits of it launch, and it has a nice range. Sometimes I use it just for the second part, like to stun flying enemies from a distance, or in ranged mode, you can start a long range juggle, it's kinda satisfying. Up close, the launch sets up for another PA, so it's really fun.

Still, I wonder if it's worth growing a Mag to balance out the two modes.

Vylera
Jul 2, 2012, 09:58 PM
Gunblades have terrible DPS as ranger or hunter

Flooring bosses solo with a common pick-up gunblade with no NPC help and no photon blast in 100 seconds is bad DPS?

It's GREAT when combined with weak bullet.

For hunter there are better options, but for rangers it's my #1 boss killer.

Don't underestimate the attack speed of the shots. PAs aren't even needed on it for a ranger to dominate with it.

If we're talking big packs and Code: Protect, then f*k the gunblade. But 1 on 1, gunblade does better than assault rifles, too.

RavenLeader
Jul 2, 2012, 09:59 PM
That's great, then. Still need one ranged and one melee. Just assumed I had them all because in two accounts, I've collected the same 3 (not counting the starter). I'll look forward to getting the other two. And yeah, I got the grenade PA, it's really cool (I like using it in the air for the fancy roll), but feels almost broken sometimes.

Actually, one of my favorite skills is the default, because both hits of it launch, and it has a nice range. Sometimes I use it just for the second part, like to stun flying enemies from a distance, or in ranged mode, you can start a long range juggle, it's kinda satisfying. Up close, the launch sets up for another PA, so it's really fun.

Still, I wonder if it's worth growing a Mag to balance out the two modes.

Yeah for my gunslash I have a exp buff, item drop buff, and burn, (so i use it quite often) my pa set up on it is for max 'stun' time and good damage, i use the starting pa which does the slash which launches and then the shot that raises them higher, and then the thousand slash PA which does the shot at the end, and to top it all off once the enemy/mob hits the ground I do the grenade throw roll back for max aoe damage, usually clears out mobs even on hard desert X) I just wish hunters could throw stun grenades :| would make things more fun X)

TheBlackMage
Jul 2, 2012, 11:16 PM
I would have to echo the statement made by a few others here that the rolling grenade toss PA is freakin awesome. It does a ton of aoe damage making it great for cleaning up groups. It's also great in boss fights because it hits 4-5 times(not sure but someone said 4). Dropping it on a weak point does pretty great damage and usually clears out a few adds at the same time. Once I discovered this PA my opinion of gunblades went from "meh" to "heck yea"
+1

I'm a FOcaseal and I am loving the gunslash, I use it probably about as much as my rod now. Granted I'll still use the rod for mass murdering things with AoE Techs but for the most part sometimes I'll just run into the fray with the other hunters and act as a combat medic.

I'm able to heal faster than if I stayed in the back since I wouldn't have to aim with a card or run in with a rod. It's much easier to keep buffs up on everyone as well as curing status abnormalities. Plus you can still cast offensive techs while attacking with the gunslash (Rabarta + gunslash grenade PA at the same time cleared up groups of mobs in the caves like there was no tomorrow.) obviously thought the tech damage is quite lower than if you were to cast it with a rod but the fast PP regen helps to make up for that. I'm curious about how this will fare once I have max lvl buffs as well as Charge PP Revival and the Tech Charge skills from the Forces skill tree.

(Oh and on a side note I am raising an ability mag about 50% will be ability while 25% would be under strike attack and 25% under tech attack so this should further enhance my "Melee Mage")

[EDIT] Btw, one of the 1st gunslashes I used has poison as one of it's specials. That destroyed the rockworm mini-boss in the caves since it would hit for 1k a tick and the gunslash attacks incredibly fast thus giving it a chance to proc more often. (this was around lvl.13 too) Would anyone happen to know of any other bosses/mini-bosses that are susceptible to poison? I just about out lvled it now but I'm considering trying to hunt for a better one with or shop for one for cases when it would destroy a mini-boss/boss faster than techs. The one I'm using now has Exp and stun on it but another one just for slaying HP sponges would be fantastic.

mousel
Jul 3, 2012, 12:46 AM
As a hunter, a gunslash saved my pathetic ass from dying MANY times in early levels. It meant I didn't die repeatedly the first times I faced Vol Dragon or Ragne, and helped me get leveled up quite a bit. Now I only use it for certain flying mobs or mobs in lava, because my melee weapons outclass it so much. But I just got what looks to be a nice red box gunslash before open beta ended - hopefully I can actually equip it with just one more level, and I'll start playing with it again more.

RavenLeader
Jul 3, 2012, 12:47 AM
+1

I'm a FOcaseal and I am loving the gunslash, I use it probably about as much as my rod now. Granted I'll still use the rod for mass murdering things with AoE Techs but for the most part sometimes I'll just run into the fray with the other hunters and act as a combat medic.

I'm able to heal faster than if I stayed in the back since I wouldn't have to aim with a card or run in with a rod. It's much easier to keep buffs up on everyone as well as curing status abnormalities. Plus you can still cast offensive techs while attacking with the gunslash (Rabarta + gunslash grenade PA at the same time cleared up groups of mobs in the caves like there was no tomorrow.) obviously thought the tech damage is quite lower than if you were to cast it with a rod but the fast PP regen helps to make up for that. I'm curious about how this will fare once I have max lvl buffs as well as Charge PP Revival and the Tech Charge skills from the Forces skill tree.

(Oh and on a side note I am raising an ability mag about 50% will be ability while 25% would be under strike attack and 25% under tech attack so this should further enhance my "Melee Mage")

[EDIT] Btw, one of the 1st gunslashes I used has poison as one of it's specials. That destroyed the rockworm mini-boss in the caves since it would hit for 1k a tick and the gunslash attacks incredibly fast thus giving it a chance to proc more often. (this was around lvl.13 too) Would anyone happen to know of any other bosses/mini-bosses that are susceptible to poison? I just about out lvled it now but I'm considering trying to hunt for a better one with or shop for one for cases when it would destroy a mini-boss/boss faster than techs. The one I'm using now has Exp and stun on it but another one just for slaying HP sponges would be fantastic.

I could make a recommendation based off my old gunslash :) , it was a 4 star yellow long blade, it had 35% fire with poison 2 and burn 2 it was great for bosses my suggestion is find the gunslash that is strongest that your able to equip and put on your own affixes i'd recommend burn and poison and if your feeling cocky go for another like power (increases s atk) or shoot? (increases r atk) heck go for both if your going for the 'ultimate' gunslash lol