PDA

View Full Version : "weak points" in bosses that increase drop rate.

Coatl
Jun 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
I know that destroying the legs of Dark Ragne increases drop rate significantly, but I'd like to know at what other primal spots in other bosses (vol dragon, antlion, rock bear, catadron) that would also increase the loot drops if targetted.

mhjc
Jun 28, 2012, 10:49 PM
Catadran's tail
Vol Dragon's horn and tail

I believe Rock Bear's face breaks, too.

Lostbob117
Jun 28, 2012, 10:50 PM
This is a good thread maybe we could get this on the Wiki.

Sigmund
Jun 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
Would like to see empirical evidence of those statements. =/

Coatl
Jun 28, 2012, 11:06 PM

The japanese wiki stated that Dark Ragne's legs, when damaged, increases the drop rate.
To provide empirical evidence without official comfirmation would take a great endeavor.

That being said, I'd rather just rely on world-of-mouth to consolidate an answer.

Catadran's tail
Vol Dragon's horn and tail

I believe Rock Bear's face breaks, too.

Thanks. :3
I've never seen Rock bear's face break though. I'll have to try myself.

buri-chan
Jun 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
I don't know if the Rock Bear's face breaks (if it does, it must have nearly as much hp as he does), but attacking it does increase droprate from my experience. Right on the Caterdran and Vol Dragon. No idea what's on the Gwanada, but I assume it's the belly.

Alena Zouryx
Jun 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
Huh. If this is indeed true, I think it's a clever mechanic.

Well played, Sega. Well played.

moorebounce
Jun 28, 2012, 11:49 PM
This is a good thread maybe we could get this on the Wiki.

I've been checking the wikki you have in your sig and it's coming along nicely. It would be nice if there were photos to go with enemies and weapons.

mhjc
Jun 29, 2012, 12:02 AM
I don't know if the Rock Bear's face breaks (if it does, it must have nearly as much hp as he does), but attacking it does increase droprate from my experience. Right on the Caterdran and Vol Dragon. No idea what's on the Gwanada, but I assume it's the belly.

I never seem to get anything different from killing gwanda by belly kills or just taking forever. If I were to guess, it'd be making him expose that belly probably increases drop rates though.

I can't say I'm certain about the Rock bear thing, that's why I said "I believe", but like you, I do get better items when I go fist to face against his face. I'll definitely try to grab pictures of the broken parts, but it isn't easy.

Tycho
Jun 29, 2012, 12:13 AM
Huh. If this is indeed true, I think it's a clever mechanic.
Well played, Sega. Well played.
It's from Monster Hunter. Other additions have been inspired by that (more popular) series too, like the 'buy to bank' feature, the once-before-a-quest buff drinks (at least PSPo2 reimagined them with the miko), and the emergency quest mechanic.

Omega-z
Jun 29, 2012, 12:45 AM
Not sure if you know about this, The RockBear when hit in the face at point blank has a different sound ( metallic in sound ) and a quick red orb flash. It's not the normal fleshie ripping noise and orange blood look. Is that what your thinking of when it comes to the RockBear?

Geistritter
Jun 29, 2012, 02:03 AM
Vol Dragon also has a horn behind his head that can be targeted and broken, though it's hard to hit and break before he dies.

Lostbob117
Jun 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
I've been checking the wikki you have in your sig and it's coming along nicely. It would be nice if there were photos to go with enemies and weapons.

I'm gonna work on the weapon pics later, the enemies too probably.

mnemosy
Jun 29, 2012, 04:16 PM

You know how when you kill an enemy you get a circle of items? If I break all 4 legs on Ragne or both horns on Vol I will get more items than the circle can even fit, so there are some laying around trying to game a concentric circle (obviously not enough for that) but more items than the circle limit will allow. If you break NOTHING, this will never happen.

edit: and I don't see why you wouldn't want to paralyze the boss by breaking their weak-spots anyways, it makes for an easier and quicker fight. Break a leg on Ragne and he's paralyzed, switch to the next leg and repeat before he goes out of "I'm down, please come f**k my weak spot" mode. You can chain all 4 legs and then go for the weak spot behind his head and he'll be dead in 1 cycle.

Ueno54
Jun 29, 2012, 05:29 PM

I managed to break the Rock Bears face in Closed beta, so I assume it still does. Back on my old character I was a hunter and used a 2 handed sword to do it. Now I can't break it on my force, maybe using Rafoie is killing him too fast for it to break. Tonight I'll attempt to break it only using my tails physical attack.