PDA

View Full Version : What is the box at the top middle of the screen?

thablinksta
Jun 29, 2012, 11:13 AM
Hey guys,

So you know how you'll be playing PSO 2 and you'll be kicking ass and then that little box appears at the top of the screen, it makes some noises, and then shows some random images? I've seen it show this black hole thing, i've seen bars kind of like a stereo equalizer, i've seen a fake map, etc etc.

Does anybody know what i'm talking about/what it means when you see it? I assumed its related to PSE burst but I'm not sure.

ALSO, sometimes you'll be running around and the edges of the screen will have black stuff on it, similar to when you're close to dying. You'll also hear a heartbeat for a little while, as if you were being swallowed up by some evil demon thing D: does anybody know what this means? Are these both just random effects that happen in the game?

Bradders
Jun 29, 2012, 11:15 AM
Yeah i have been wondering about that aswell looks like a bar graph sometimes then some sort of frequency and that black hole thing, i tried hanging around where they happen sometimes but i dont think it done anything.

JenTy
Jun 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
I think that's signs of the boss from the free fields.

There's also a small menu that pops up at the top of the screen when you receive a message, too.

oifjustus
Jun 29, 2012, 11:21 AM
I've been wondering about that myself. Today I was killing stuff and some kind of animation kicked in almost looked like an eyeball, covered the whole screen, it was yellow.. Thought some boss was gonna pop out but nothing happened lol.

thablinksta
Jun 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Whenever i see it i frantically hit E thinking its going to do something but it never does =[ lol

Vashyron
Jun 29, 2012, 11:43 AM
I think it's to do with PSEs, boss warnings are usually their respective roars.

BIG OLAF
Jun 29, 2012, 11:45 AM
I think they serve as notices that a new "Code Event" is available somewhere on the map, and each code has a certain image associated with it.

thablinksta
Jun 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
I think they serve as notices that a new "Code Event" is available somewhere on the map, and each code has a certain image associated with it.

Yeah that answer makes the most sense. It would be cool if we could figure out which image correlates to which code.

Halcyote
Jun 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
i figured those oscilloscopes deal with the possibility of bosses, pses, and what type of enemies are surrounding you (assuming red is for darkers, and green is for planet-native enemies)

Jana
Jun 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
Have you ever gotten the effect where the edges of the screen turn red and veiny? There's a heartbeat sound to go with it too.

I got it twice during a City run last night, and then Code: Avoid/Rescue came up twice, so I think it may have been a warning that my character would be targeted. Maybe these other effects are similar in nature.

Edit: Oh, I guess you came to the same conclusion while I was typing. :P

BIG OLAF
Jun 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
Yes, the red pulse indicates a Rescue (or Avoid, I think).

Windadept
Jun 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
The graphs and the black hole thingies are PSE notifiers, since there are 3 different PSEs (or was it 4?), there's an icon for each one.

Fusioneko
Jun 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Can I have a screen shot of what you guys are talking about? I think I know but I cant login right now.

thablinksta
Jun 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
Can I have a screen shot of what you guys are talking about? I think I know but I cant login right now.

I wanted to post one but im @ work and don't have access to my screenshots =[

Fusioneko
Jun 29, 2012, 01:11 PM
I wanted to post one but im @ work and don't have access to my screenshots =[

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i.imgur.com/OPzPIh.jpg
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Is it on this?

Finetic
Jun 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
Is it on this?

Nope, but it will appear in the same spot that your mail icon is in that picture. Along with maniacal sound effects

Genji
Jun 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i.imgur.com/OPzPIh.jpg
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Is it on this?

This is what they're talking about:

http://i46.tinypic.com/34505c1.jpg

Fujiko
Jun 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
Yes that is it, I asked the question in the other thread and in-game too, didn't get a straight answer :D

thablinksta
Jun 29, 2012, 02:01 PM

EXACTLY!

Rhypht
Jun 29, 2012, 02:12 PM
I have been wondering the same thing.

Is it just me, or does it say "PSE" in the bottom right corner in that circle? I could just be reading it wrong, I'm not on a large enough screen to see it atm.

Priest
Jun 29, 2012, 02:16 PM
I had always thought it was showing Photon levels that somehow affected PSE. Maybe activated at lvl 5 or something?

thablinksta
Jun 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
I have been wondering the same thing.

Is it just me, or does it say "PSE" in the bottom right corner in that circle? I could just be reading it wrong, I'm not on a large enough screen to see it atm.

OOOOOOOOOO keen observation. you get bonus points!

Rhypht
Jun 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
OOOOOOOOOO keen observation. you get bonus points!

W00P!

Now if only we knew what the different graphics another occurrences meant..