PDA

View Full Version : Grinding rare weapons...

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
Anyone else having a terrible time trying to get a rare to +10? I don't even think it's worth it anymore...

I've been trying to get my Axe to 10, starting from 9, and ended up pushing it back down to +4 while also losing 100k.

-______- Now it's only ~260. Kinda wanting to just sell it and by something else.

彩音~
Jun 29, 2012, 05:39 PM
Pretty sure red star weapons are bound to you once you equip it

Somnia
Jun 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
The beauty of RNG.

Zyrusticae
Jun 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
The RNG gods were not pleased with you this day.

Jay6
Jun 29, 2012, 05:47 PM
Dunno, it took me ~70 grinders to grind my レッドプロセッサ to +10. I guess I got lucky >_>;

ashley50
Jun 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Pretty sure red star weapons are bound to you once you equip it
Yes, they are.

To OP:So better think wisely if you want to sell or stick with a 7*-and above weapons, 'cause they will be with your char forever and the only way to sell them...is thru the NPC lol.

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
Ah, I forgot they bound to you. D:

Guess I'll grind it to 10 no matter what the cost...

Sucks because I just lost 40 ATP. :c Er, SATK.

EDIT: Wait, then how are people selling + "x" rares?

Dycize
Jun 29, 2012, 06:39 PM
Those rares are bound on equip, so they grind it without equipping it. It's as simple as that.
Though rares are interesting to grind, they are sometimes weaker than non-rares... Then you realise they get at least +6% damage per grind level (and cost two grinders per grind attempt), so a +10 rare would do quite a bit of damage (provided you got it to that point, the AC shop will be sure to be there for you).

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
Those rares are bound on equip, so they grind it without equipping it. It's as simple as that.
Though rares are interesting to grind, they are sometimes weaker than non-rares... Then you realise they get at least +6% damage per grind level (and cost two grinders per grind attempt), so a +10 rare would do quite a bit of damage (provided yoy got it to that point, the AC shop will be sure to be there for you).

Yeah, I get what you mean. The axe seems to be the strongest sword type wep. I could find.

Hansha
Jun 29, 2012, 07:36 PM
I used almost 200 grinders on my Vol sword. Its a +5 and lost like 600k.
Yeah grinding an 8 star is dumb.

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
I'm just gonna get it to 8 and stop. :x

God of Awesome
Jun 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
I only lost 200k and ended up with +2 grinds on it, I feel not as horrible now. We all failed together :D

goldwing
Jun 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
Best iv gotten is +6 on my rares and +9 on my 4 star. Wont push them any more cause that -2u is to nasty to me.

Randomness
Jun 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
I have a +8 on the 7* gunblade that everyone has.

And I'm not daring to go any further.

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
I have a +8 on the 7* gunblade that everyone has.

And I'm not daring to go any further.

^ This.

I just got it back to +8, only two failed.

Not touching it ever again.

Sp-24
Jun 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
I had my Talis Legacy at +9 once. 2 days and ~120 grinders later, it's still at +5-+6.

DreXxiN
Jun 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Man..back in my day we were just happy to get rares after years of playing!

Now all of you whippersnappers expect "rares" at +10 in open beta! Get off my lawn!

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 10:52 PM

Now all of you whippersnappers expect "rares" at +10 in open beta! Get off my lawn!

xD I'm still waiting to see what the real "rares" will look like.

serenade
Jun 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
took my yasminkov 3000r to 9 and now it's back down to 4 after after 20 wasted grinders and about 100k.

i also hate the fact it requires 2 grinders for rare weapons.

Randomness
Jun 29, 2012, 10:55 PM

Back in my day, grinding didn't mean a thing until it was at +20 or higher.

Get off my dirt!

HFlowen
Jun 29, 2012, 10:56 PM
My Gae Bulg Gay Bulge is +10 after many, many failures. Right around +8 is a huge sticking point it seems.

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
My Gay Bulge is +10 after many, many failures. Right around +8 is a huge sticking point it seems.

"Gay Bulge"? xD.

Randomness
Jun 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
"Gay Bulge"? xD.

While it's clearly suppose to be Gae Bolg, that spelling... is so wrong on so many levels.

HFlowen
Jun 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
So funnay.

I also tacked on Attack boost III (whatever it's called) onto it, so I guess I got lucky.

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
While it's clearly suppose to be Gae Bolg, that spelling... is so wrong on so many levels.

I thought so, but it was just too funny. I had to ask.

Zinaida
Jun 29, 2012, 11:52 PM
Bragging thread?

Bragging thread.

Kidding.

I only spent 60k getting my Soul Eater to +10 though.

Windadept
Jun 29, 2012, 11:55 PM
If you think grinding is expensive, try ability transfers!
Took me about 50k to get vol soul, power 1, and stamina 1 on a 4 star partisan.
Spent 200k to try and get a 7 star partisan to 3 slots... TRIED! It's like anything below 70% automatically fails.

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
Spent 200k to try and get a 7 star partisan to 3 slots... TRIED! It's like anything below 70% automatically fails.

Can you do ability transfers on modules?

Deviruki
Jun 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
Bragging thread?

Bragging thread.

Kidding.

I only spent 60k getting my Soul Eater to +10 though.

Is that Kireek's partisan?...

Zinaida
Jun 29, 2012, 11:59 PM
Is that Kireek's partisan?...

Yeeep. Found it a few hours ago.

Windadept
Jun 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
Can you do ability transfers on modules?

Yup, I've managed to put vol soul on 2 of my units.

Deviruki
Jun 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
Yeeep. Found it a few hours ago.

:O In what mission? I want that so bad.

I'm scared it's not strong enough though, like most rares I've seen.

Zinaida
Jun 30, 2012, 12:09 AM
:O In what mission? I want that so bad.

I'm scared it's not strong enough though, like most rares I've seen.

My 10+ 7* Wired Lances were way stronger until I got my Soul Eater to +10, and I also put Striking Damage II on it so that solved the problem of it being weak by comparison. It has 345 base damage.

I also found it in the first desert mission on hard mode. I was grinding it for the codes+EXP. It just happened to drop, wasn't even looking for or expecting it.

Deviruki
Jun 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
My 10+ 7* Wired Lances were way stronger until I got my Soul Eater to +10, and I also put Striking Damage II on it so that solved the problem of it being weak by comparison. It has 345 base damage.

I also found it in the first desert mission on hard mode. I was grinding it for the codes+EXP. It just happened to drop, wasn't even looking for or expecting it.

Hm...

I think I'll just grind something until I can do Hard Mode Vol, and try to get the sword.

I've been grinding free field desert for a while, is that the best one to do for exp?

Zinaida
Jun 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
Hm...

I think I'll just grind something until I can do Hard Mode Vol, and try to get the sword.

I've been grinding free field desert for a while, is that the best one to do for exp?

Personally I believe the first desert mission on hard mode is the best way to level up, and it's not difficult solo so you don't have to rely on forming or finding groups. It takes a lot of patience though. The codes (and enemies) do give some good EXP, in my opinion.

Desert free field may or may not be faster depending on if you're multi-partying or just running to the boss. If you're partied up, it's more fun for sure. All of this is just my opinion though.

gigawuts
Jun 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
Aaah, chance-based mechanics. The bane of fun everywhere.

Out of everything in PSO2, the chance-based grinding is the one thing I utterly hate.

edit: I believe the Soul Eater drops off of the flying darkers with arms, El Adas I think they're called. As linked here: http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?%E3%82%A8%E3%83%8D%E3%83%9F%E3%83%BC%E4% B8%80%E8%A6%A7

HectorSirdam
Jun 30, 2012, 06:22 AM

Wait you can transfer souls or affix new abilities to items with souls?

Randomness
Jun 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
I told myself I wouldn't. That I wouldn't try to go all the way.

But when I hit +9 without failing... well... I pushed it. One failure, and made +10 on the second 7* gunblade. This thing actually gives me almost 100 T-ATK. That makes it about 66% as strong as a 2* card is base... so, it's actually usable as a casting weapon! HUZZAH! HUnewearl mode, GO!

Applekrumble
Jul 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
How do you grind rare weapons anyway? I can't seem to select the 7* axe I got in the grind lab :(

Is there a specific item/prerequisite that needs to be done?

mhjc
Jul 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
How do you grind rare weapons anyway? I can't seem to select the 7* axe I got in the grind lab :(

Is there a specific item/prerequisite that needs to be done?

You need grinders 「グラインダー」, and don't go necroing threads.

Zinaida
Jul 10, 2012, 10:27 PM

"Necroing."

It's been less than two weeks and the post was entirely relevant. Don't criticize someone on necroing when they thought posting in a thread from not too long ago with a relevant question would be better than posting a thread simply to ask their question, or just starting the thread all over again.

NoiseHERO
Jul 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
I grinded my Zanba all the way to 10 without failing...

But any other weapon I try grinding is like "Fuck you Rock Eastwood" Like they were imbued with the souls of dead people I've trolled in their past lives...

Applekrumble
Jul 10, 2012, 10:38 PM

Well, thanks for the info irregardless.. Much appreciated.

EDIT : I do have grinders in my inventory when I try to grind the rare weapon though. Sadly, the 7* axe (well, it's a sword weapon actually, EDIT : it's the ザックス ( Zakkusu ) ) does not appear as a viable option for grinding in the list unlike the other tons of weapons that do.

mhjc
Jul 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
Well, thanks for the info irregardless.. Much appreciated.

EDIT : I do have grinders in my inventory when I try to grind the rare weapon though. Sadly, the 7* axe (well, it's a sword weapon actually, EDIT : it's the ザックス ( Zakkusu ) ) does not appear as a viable option for grinding in the list unlike the other tons of weapons that do.

Then your problem is you locked your weapon (ロック). Locked weapons don't show up in your upgrade tab.

PS: "Irregardless" *twitch*

sugarFO
Jul 10, 2012, 10:54 PM
PS: "Irregardless" *twitch*

Do you ever get sick of yourself?

xBladeM6x
Jul 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
Haven't even attempted to grind rare weapons. That requires stupid amounts of money. >.>

sugarFO
Jul 10, 2012, 11:07 PM
Haven't even attempted to grind rare weapons. That requires stupid amounts of money. >.>

Don't do it! Lol. Well, do it until you start getting failures and losing points on your weapon. When you have the red danger mark and the consequence of failing is -3 points.... yeah, I stopped there. ^^

Heat Haze
Jul 10, 2012, 11:09 PM
Nightmare grinding anything past 6*

Had a weapon at 8*, decided to push for 9* and ended up at 6*. Tried getting back to 8* at the least; wasted 60 grinders and 100k Meseta or so.

Not as bad compared to what I've heard people losing.

Right now my weapon is at the red danger zone, where the grinding risk failure is in purple font indicating a possible -3. Not going to touch it.

BIG OLAF
Jul 10, 2012, 11:12 PM

As you know, I got my ネグリングゼロ to +10 with only one fail, maybe two (don't remember). It's pretty strong for a gunslash now, but grinding rares is a huge gamble. I had another rare fail going from 9 to 10, and it dropped down to 6. Sucked.

Dinosaur
Jul 10, 2012, 11:17 PM
Doodoo is BY FAR the richest man in ARKs.

10011408V3.9
Jul 10, 2012, 11:31 PM
Aaah, chance-based mechanics. The bane of fun everywhere.

Out of everything in PSO2, the chance-based grinding is the one thing I utterly hate.

edit: I believe the Soul Eater drops off of the flying darkers with arms, El Adas I think they're called. As linked here: http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?%E3%82%A8%E3%83%8D%E3%83%9F%E3%83%BC%E4% B8%80%E8%A6%A7

I wouldn't call a Skinner Box mechanic like this the "bane" of fun so much as "Novelty on Life Support."

Somnia
Jul 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
Doodoo is BY FAR the richest man in ARKs.

He's quite the scammer.

Hosaka
Jul 10, 2012, 11:36 PM
PSO2 Weapon Grinding: "At least it's better than PSU."

Geistritter
Jul 10, 2012, 11:46 PM
All of the failure wouldn't be so bad if the son of a bitch would stop laughing at me whenever I show up.

"Oh, you again. Gonna get me another 200,000 when you try to put ANYTHING on this one. Then maybe I'll make a better version myself and sell it to you."

Shakuri
Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
PSP2 still did grinding the best.

"Got Meseta?"
"Yup."
"kk, here's your +10"
"Appreciated..."
"Have an extend code?"
"Hmm, actually, yes I do!"
"Great! Want to make your weapon even stronger?"
"Of course!"
"There you go."
"Sweeet"
"Want to add or change the status effect it produces?"
"Do I? Yes! Yes I do!"
"Enjoy your Level 5 HP Drain!"
"Thank you so much!"

I won't even get into how awesome Infinity extend codes were. -sai-

HadouMetsu
Jul 11, 2012, 12:12 AM
So what exactly is RNG?

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 12:14 AM
"Random number generator". It's the probability of something happening that you can't control.

It's also a lying son of a bitch.

mangopirate
Jul 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
I used up ~100 grinders and ~300k meseta getting my 7* Gunslash Zero to +10. I was ecstatic when I saw those green words come up because I wouldn't have to bleed meseta anymore. Seems I'm actually on the lucky side reading through some of the posts here.

I'm am so scared of the RNG that I don't think I'll ever grind any 8* or 9* items.

Mike
Jul 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
PSP2 still did grinding the best.
The only problem with PSP2 was that grinds were random. That was fixed in Infinity.

BIG OLAF
Jul 11, 2012, 01:40 AM
As you know, I got my ネグリングゼロ to +10 with only one fail, maybe two (don't remember).

I used up ~100 grinders and ~300k meseta getting my 7* Gunslash Zero to +10.

Perfect example of the RNG at work. I grinded my weapon with minimal issues, and mangopirate underwent emotional torment.

But hey, it's better than PSU's system, hurr hurr.

G.A.M.E.R-X
Jul 11, 2012, 01:47 AM
>Kids obsessed with eye candy rares wasting hundreds of thousands and hundreds of grinders on 8+ star rares

My 5 Star Alba Calibur, Alba Arch, and Alba Gungnir with superior base attack at +10, easily grinded to +10 say hi.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Akbdpi65EON1dGRTd2hqNXBQMW1Lak9SOFJKM1Utb UE&gid=2

Even without power abilities added, the high tier alba weapons all grind to max easily, rendering higher star rares either obsolete (literally) in max damage, or not worth the hundreds of thousands of meseta and tens and hundreds of grinders just for a measly ten more base attack. If you add power abilities to them, the higher star rares then become even more worthless wastes of time.

The red star and higher rares in this game are for display purposes only, they're a complete waste of time and money

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 01:48 AM
Having a weapon three times as big as they are is enough for some people. Nothing to get on a high horse about one way or the other, though, guy.

SaiKo
Jul 11, 2012, 01:50 AM
>Kids obsessed with eye candy rares wasting hundreds of thousands and hundreds of grinders on 8+ star rares

My 5 Star Alba Calibur, Alba Arch, and Alba Gungnir with superior base attack at +10, easily grinded to +10 say hi.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Akbdpi65EON1dGRTd2hqNXBQMW1Lak9SOFJKM1Utb UE&gid=2

This is painful and should never have happened... :-(

Guru53
Jul 11, 2012, 02:30 AM

Even without power abilities added, the high tier alba weapons all grind to max easily, rendering higher star rares either obsolete (literally) in max damage, or not worth the hundreds of thousands of meseta and tens and hundreds of grinders just for a measly ten more base attack. If you add power abilities to them, the higher star rares then become even more worthless wastes of time.

The red star and higher rares in this game are for display purposes only, they're a complete waste of time and money
Woah, awesome link. I think I'll stay away from grinding 7* and 8* weapons (and probably 9* until I'm rich).

JeyKama
Jul 11, 2012, 05:07 AM
Oh wow, maybe I don't have to finish my database.

Pizzastein though, made me chuckle.

Still, the high-end rares have more attack in the end. Whether it is "worth it" or "worthless", though, is really up to each player to decide.

Hosaka
Jul 11, 2012, 05:15 AM

I was starting to think I was crazy for insisting on just upgrading my "commons" into +10, 50 Element weapons with abilities I like, instead of rocking rares like everyone else. Glad to know I'm not the only one who does it.

Aeris
Jul 11, 2012, 05:16 AM
Don't do it! Lol. Well, do it until you start getting failures and losing points on your weapon. When you have the red danger mark and the consequence of failing is -3 points.... yeah, I stopped there. ^^

Yeah i grinded my AR 9* rifle to +8 and when i saw that, i just stopped there for now also grinded another one to +9 and failed to make it +10 like 2 times so i just gave up on it, +9 it and just stopped there for now.

BIG OLAF
Jul 11, 2012, 05:18 AM
I was starting to think I was crazy for insisting on just upgrading my "commons" into +10, 50 Element weapons with abilities I like, instead of rocking rares like everyone else. Glad to know I'm not the only one who does it.

Indeed. 5/6 of my weapons consist of 50% +10 "common" weapons, and I have a few more in my storage. I can keep up with, or even straight-up outdamage, most rare weapons (unless their element is boosted up, too). No one should underestimate the power of non-rares. Most rares are just meant for eye-candy.

Scarlet_Rain
Jul 11, 2012, 05:19 AM
I for one have absolutely no qualms with wasting virtual currency on aesthetics. RNG can be a real bitch though, especially that -3 :(

Yunfa
Jul 11, 2012, 05:26 AM
Indeed. 5/6 of my weapons consist of 50% +10 "common" weapons, and I have a few more in my storage. I can keep up with, or even straight-up outdamage, most rare weapons (unless their element is boosted up, too). No one should underestimate the power of non-rares. Most rares are just meant for eye-candy.

OH BUT EYE CANDY IS, just soooooooo, *slurp*

darkante
Jul 11, 2012, 05:28 AM

I still have my 2* +10 50% :fire: partisan lying around.
But that blue-white lance is so sweet looking so i had too sacrifice some damage.
At least until i dare get it too 8 or 9, kinda stuck at 6 atm.

Small comfort would be that the lance has a small amount of :fire: attribute.

Yunfa
Jul 11, 2012, 11:35 AM
I still have my 2* +10 50% :fire: partisan lying around.
But that blue-white lance is so sweet looking so i had too sacrifice some damage.
At least until i dare get it too 8 or 9, kinda stuck at 6 atm.

Small comfort would be that the lance has a small amount of :fire: attribute.

Well lets put it this way, a Cloud wouldn't be complete with his "Zanba" for a Buster Sword, and a Squal wouldn't be complete without that Gunslash.

Kion
Jul 11, 2012, 12:22 PM
Pretty much what I've found that 2★ weapons grind pretty easily. I've made four +10 rifles. The R-atk ends up slightly less the base damage of the 9★ rifle, so it's a pretty solid go to for lower levels.

As for rares, it doesn't seem worth it. The stat boosts don't really pay off until +8 or above and you're going to be bleeding tons of meseta and grinders to get there for something that's only mildly better than normal equipment. Stopping at the +6/7 range and saving my grinders for later down the line is the conclusion i came to.

RocSage
Jul 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
7* Rares grind mod is greater than 4* starting at +3
5* Rares grind mod is greater than 3* starting at +7

You can grind everything below 7* (so far in my experience) pretty easily up to +10. 7* you start having trouble at +7 I also understand that is where it gains it's boost over a 5*

My suggestion if you are trying to decide whether to use a rare or not consider what the level of the rare weapon will be at +5 or +7 because unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on grinding you likely aren't going to get farther. And you really shouldn't spend a lot of money on rares unless they are +10 grinded.

darkfalz16
Jul 11, 2012, 01:03 PM
have my ragne lance at +9 and im keeping it there lol 349 attack no element i havent really seen the benefit of element in this game tbh. and i am trying to keep my weapon attack lower then my ability to avoid my min and max being way off. i think consistant damage is better then every so often hitting for really high

CharAznable
Jul 11, 2012, 01:21 PM
SEGA + Crafting = lameassnoobish

They should go hide themself

The Walrus
Jul 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
I really hope they decide to change grinding to something not based on chance at some point.

Imma just be over here hoping for the next couple of years

KrankItVZ
Jul 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
Really want to grind my equips as with my current stats, I have the best weapons I can get for quite a few levels. Problem is the money...

How do you guys even make that much money :(

SEGA + Crafting = lameassnoobish

They should go hide themself

Be glad that they didnt implement a destroy feature when you fail.

I really hope they decide to change grinding to something not based on chance at some point.

Imma just be over here hoping for the next couple of years

Dude upgrading is all about chances in almost every game (at least MMO)

It gives the players the incentive to purchase CASH items to increase the success rate

Jiraiza
Jul 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
Grinded my 9* rifle to +10 with about 30-40ish grinders. Doodoo liked me that day.

darkante
Jul 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Personally those lower rank should be nerfed a bit considering how easy they are to grind.
And max element on.

Otherwise, no real fun in rare hunting if you are after damage and cool looks.

krophiquon
Jul 12, 2012, 01:29 AM
They should really just make it so that 8 star weapons take 100 grinders or something to get above +7 or so. I'm already sick of this gambling slant that seems to have pervaded all aspects of the game.