PDA

View Full Version : The music in this game so far

pepsicon
Jun 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
Tracks for me are strangely reminiscent of PSO1 in that the forest tracks of both games are equally two of the most atmospheric, whereas the tracks of the areas that follow (caves/volcano) fall flat and generic. Maybe it's just me though :)

Brus
Jun 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
I like how the actually used the leit motifs from PSO1 forest and caves... during the fights there's a few seconds of the original songs in there :D.

Two songs I miss:
I miss Pioneer 2's song. Even though Pioneer 2 was tiny, that song made it seem huge and badass. For me the current town song is a bit ambient, and doesn't make a huge impact.

I also miss the PSO lobby song. During the closed beta I had it playing on my jukebox for MyRoom!

DreXxiN
Jun 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
For some reason the city music is my favorite.

pepsicon
Jun 30, 2012, 11:14 PM
I like how the actually used the leit motifs from PSO1 forest and caves... during the fights there's a few seconds of the original songs in there :D.

Two songs I miss:
I miss Pioneer 2's song. Even though Pioneer 2 was tiny, that song made it seem huge and badass. For me the current town song is a bit ambient, and doesn't make a huge impact.

I also miss the PSO lobby song. During the closed beta I had it playing on my jukebox for MyRoom!

I miss Pioneer 2's song as well. Ooooh the shopping district song at the time was also a killer for me, couldn't get enough of it. And I agree, the current town song isn't bad, but not exactly mind blowing either.

The tributes to PSO1 tracks hidden in current ones is also a very thoughtful touch. I found myself chuckling despite myself :lol:

pepsicon
Jun 30, 2012, 11:15 PM

I'm usually too busy demolishing mobs in the city to really hear the music over the clamor lol... will take more note next time XD

Finetic
Jun 30, 2012, 11:23 PM
I feel that the soundtrack is well done; some aspects really nail the nostalgia down hard. Anyone would be hard-pressed to top the soundtrack of PSO1 though. I feel it is one of the best soundtracks in gaming history. I could listen to the character select theme and the Ruins 2 theme for days.

Nostalgia solution: www.youtuberepeat.com/watch?v=eYRTw45MVQM&feature=relmfu&loop=1

Find desired track from PSO1 on youtube, type "repeat" directly after "youtube" in the URL, turn down in-game music, and voila--instant nostalgia.

DreXxiN
Jun 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
I'm usually too busy demolishing mobs in the city to really hear the music over the clamor lol... will take more note next time XD

Turning your BGM up in the menu to match all the other volume levels help :P

Dxluv
Jun 30, 2012, 11:37 PM
It sounds a bit lifeless, slightly generic, and like loud, ostentatious fluff to me - a bit like PSU's actually. Though, I did end up liking tracks in PSU. It's just not memorable. But anyway, it was a bittersweet feeling to hear those inserts from the older game. It would be nice to hear genuinely funky (not the genre), soulful and sometimes ambient tracks like in PSO without so much reverence.

I have to turn the BGM down now to play my own tracks or keep it silent to not get a headache.

KayinKento
Jun 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
In my opinion, the PSO2 OST has managed to be like the first: A legit futuristic sound and not using an easy out by making an electro house/trance sound (not bashing on it since that's pretty much what I listen to almost all the time), the boss music are decently fast pace to the point it can still blend with the game's pace and doesn't sound too over-the-top, and oh course atmospheric in all areas. I also love how they sample bits and pieces of PSO1's OST for different stages such as the Forest and Caves.

My only issue with PSO2's OST is so far, none of them are memorable to me with the exception of the opening cinematic (as expected). The Forest/Caves sounds memorable because of their sampling of PSO1's stages. Its not exactly a bad thing, but its easy to do. Its harder to make a memorable song that blends with the game 100%. Although because of the futuristic atmospheric sound, I'd still buy/import this CD in a heartbeat as I did with PSO1. $75 + shipping.

supersonix9
Jun 30, 2012, 11:55 PM

I totally agree.

Sebastian & PSO
Jun 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
Any music thats the same or similar to PSO epI&II is the best! Which..most of PSO2's so far isnt.

PSO just had this feeling or urgency and importance. When you switched the game off the music still stuck in your head and in a good way. I can still hear it playing in my mind as I type this. My absolute favourite track would of been for EPII getting into the underground facility (Can't remember exactly what the stage was called now) the music and the enemies freaked the hell out of me. I remember being so scared to walk into a room and see the big dog looking enemy appear, attacking him twice and then RUNNING for my life for saftey in between the two doors before he charge attacked me and killed me! And then finally reaching Olga Flow the last boss and fighting him was epic. The music was amazing, the battle was brilliant and it made you actually feel like you were that deep down underwater!

I pulled this up from Wikipedia and just reading it makes me realise that PSO2 so far is not living up to it:

Episode 2Episode 2 takes place after the ancient spaceship is discovered. The Chief of the Government Lab of Pioneer 2 asks the hunters to go down to Ragol and investigate a secret laboratory that had recently been discovered on Gal Da Val Island. Before leaving on the mission, however, the player characters are required to complete a pair of training simulations. The first simulates a maze of ruins, the second a space station, and both stages feature enemies based on those seen in Episode 1.

Once the training is complete, the hunters are sent to the planet's surface with the task of finding the security terminals that grant access to the facility. The search is broken up into three stages: a seaside region, a mountain region, and a jungle region, in no particular order. Along the way, the hunters come across a number of data terminals, which contain details about the new enemy creatures that they are fighting as well as several entries by Heathcliff Flowen. A military commander from the Pioneer 1 colony, Heathcliff, was injured while fighting alongside Rico and had apparently become infected by the life form that had turned the local wildlife into monsters. Believing himself to be dying, he admitted his body to the custody of one Dr. Osto for research purposes.

Having deactivated the security terminals, the hunters finally manage to get inside and begin investigating the facility, which is home to its own automated security system as well as a new set of monsters. The investigation turns up more of Heathcliff's entries, including more details on the events that led to the colony's destruction. Rather than warning anybody about the hazard the life form posed, Dr. Osto used samples from Heathcliff's wound to create mutant creatures and other biological weapons, eventually merging Heathcliff's body with an artificial intelligence and allowing it to be consumed by the wound. The result became Olga Flow, the final monster encountered in the game.

PSO2 seem's like more of a hack, slash, get in the level and get out of it quickly game. There's is no time to sit in a level for a moment and just enjoy it, it's all one big rush and most of the tme your rushing to catch up to a party you've just join in on a quest. I really hope once the games fully released and in english players can enjoy going through the game at their own pace and there's some sort of story line behind it that makes it really important like the good old days. I actually felt like I was fighting for a cause on Pioneer I &II as lame as that sounds, now I just feel useless.

Ryock
Jun 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
Not nearly as mysterious or tragic sounding as PSO1. But that's actually okay. The music so far is decent enough, and I agree with everyone else. The city music has been my favorite so far. I would like some calmer, more dark music soon though. So far the music has felt to be a decent mix between PSU and PSO. The only complaint I have is the boss music so far. I don't really care for the boss music. I should however mention... the music will NOT stick with me. As I log out of PSO2, I have already forgotten what all of the music in the game sounds like. It's clearly not having a strong enough impact even if it may be "okay."

MissMalice
Jul 1, 2012, 12:19 AM

Quoted for truth~

HectorSirdam
Jul 1, 2012, 12:49 AM

Totally agree, it's punchy and catchy. It elevates the atmosphere without sounding like it was just made as background music. I also rather fancy the boss fight music as well.

gigawuts
Jul 1, 2012, 01:50 AM
I swear that there's snippets in the desert battle music based on parts of olga flow's themes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2wr6mPTCC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdbMd3AO70

I'll get the desert music stuck in my head and have it randomly split off into olga flow's themes, heh.

Shadownami92
Jul 1, 2012, 01:50 AM
So far my favorite music in PSO2 is the mini boss music. It's just awesome. Shame the mini bosses are pretty much chumps. The boss music is indeed forgettable. And I do wish there was something that could set the mood that PSO music had. Something that you could listen to while enjoying the visuals, something I wish PSO2 had more of, you know memorable landmarks and cool spacey stuff. They could totally add the jellyfish from PSO Caves 2 to points of the caves, and maybe add little areas that change from teh dark lava look of the caves, maybe some narrow blueish spaces? or abandoned metal mine shaft areas with boxes in them?

Either way, while the music in PSO2 is decent, it still doesn't capture the wonder that PSO music had. I wouldn't mind some original music.

I do like the vocal track you can hear in the forest though. It's subtle, but if you listen in you can hear it at times.

gigawuts
Jul 1, 2012, 01:58 AM
I like the miniboss music too, and yeah I just can't get into the boss music. I think a lot of what made PSO's music so memorable was that the fights themselves stood out. They were all very distinct, even with clearly different areas to fight them in. My favorite is probably De Rol Le, you're put on this tiny raft and wait for the boss to come to you (or maybe you're a ranger and don't have to worry about that sort of thing).

The songs were hectic and active, and fighting a boss actually put something at stake - you were rewarded with tons of experience and, if you were low level, unlocked a new area in singleplayer (which is how I was introduced to each boss, and having to fight them solo and usually underleveled made them VERY hectic and active).

Hopefully with the game's release they'll give each boss its own distinct music and tweak the fields you can fight them in. I like open areas, but with the same wide open areas and the same music some bosses are considerably more bland (and easier) than others.

Honestly, only the dragon and ragne are really memorable to me. Sure, that's 2/4 bosses with 2 more areas on the way, but good music can make that difference.

edit: I should say though, the rockbear and beetle are loads of fun to find in the field as super-minibosses. They're not really difficult as end-level bosses.

Razelis
Jul 1, 2012, 05:10 AM
I love PSO2's music! much more than PSO1's...

my favourtie is the shop area theme (or default My Room theme)

And the reason the music is not memorable is because it doesnt have just 2 modes, passive and active, but has MANY many modes, depends on the enemy, your health condition, events etc... I think its much better to not remember it cause then its always refreshing and i never get tierd of it!

CrAZYVIC.
Jul 1, 2012, 05:27 AM
The music is enjoyable until now. Maybe a little strength in the Boss songs can help. Something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fo4pf5oNR0

Skyrim - boss theme

Angelo
Jul 1, 2012, 05:58 AM
PSO tends to specialize in the liberal use of ethereal sounding 7 and even 9 chords.

This is sort of the magic recipe for Japanese OSTs, and PSO (and PSO2) does it wonderfully.

It's not just the synth and instrument choice, it's rooted in the structure.

Seriously, anyone with a keyboard just go and pound out some random 7 or 9 minor chord progressions in succession (use a synth sound with a delayed crescendo) and you'll be like "Hey, that's kinda like PSO"

Akaimizu
Jul 1, 2012, 07:24 AM
I already did that. I made an entire big production song, put right here on this site called Forces of Nature using over 30 real-mixed-with electronic instruments. I channeled some styles from the original PSO in it, and yes, they do just that. Note, one of the main little style choices in PSO is to enter a minor 7th chord and open out to a close-by major 7th chord. How a melodic movement rides over those chords is another factor to consider as well.

Angelo
Jul 1, 2012, 07:26 AM
I already did that. I made an entire big production song, put right here on this site called Forces of Nature using over 30 real-mixed-with electronic instruments. I channeled some styles from the original PSO in it, and yes, they do just that. Note, one of the main little style choices in PSO is to enter a minor 7th chord and open out to a close-by major 7th chord. How a melodic movement rides over those chords is another factor to consider as well.

Link?

Akaimizu
Jul 1, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'll have to upload it when I come back. I'm on vacation right now and my old link expired. Once I get it up to sound forge, I'll post and update the link.

Jorrell
Jul 1, 2012, 01:18 PM
The City OST is by far my favourite, i also really like the the Nab forest and vol dragon boss theme. I cant remember the caves OST, too bland and wont stick. but for some reason i really dont like the PSO2s Quest clear music. much prefered the one from PSzero.i hope the new themes feel as polished and thought through as the city theme which ive been in love with since the 1st pso2 trailer

Defend
Jul 1, 2012, 05:19 PM
Akaimizu I'm interested in that link too.

I really miss a lot of PSO's music, but not all of it. PSO2 has the same kind of mix for me and I'm pleased that PSO2's style channels the original so well, but PSO1 is definitely my favourite for BGM. The new Forest is very good but the old Forest was just amazing. I have loved from day 1 how it managed to combine the feel of nature and sci-fi, safety and unknown danger, into the same tune.

PSO2's music is more frantic, like the game is. However the block/lobby music is quite unexciting, obviously to avoid frustrating those who spend a lot of time there, but I feel like the old Pioneer 2 music would be such an awesome and much better fit for it.

I wonder if at some point we'll be able to mod the client's music, even the transitions, like we eventually were able to do with PSO.

Danisaur
Jul 2, 2012, 09:00 AM
I think PSO2's music is garbage -.- it literally sounds like generic elevator music :/

I tried to get used to it, saying "Maybe itll grow on me like PSO's music back in the day did!"

but NOOOOPE, I STILL HATE IT D: kinda ruins the game in a way but meh what are you gonna do :/

sugarFO
Jul 2, 2012, 09:24 AM
I enjoy the City theme and Lillipa Desert's battle theme. The latter sounds pretty cool as you fight robots in a desert. The opening music where you're selecting a ship is pretty sweet, too. But I agree with others that it is not as memorable as PSO.

If they ever introduce a lab/seabed type area, I hope to God they remix this track. It just epitomizes the richness and excitement of playing PSO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv27g5NFtv4

risbolla
Jul 2, 2012, 10:16 AM
The BGM for volcano should be burning rangers. Actually, burning rangers should be the BGM for every area!

thablinksta
Jul 2, 2012, 12:07 PM
The BGM for volcano should be burning rangers. Actually, burning rangers should be the BGM for every area!

agreed, burning rangers or mute.

The music doesn't do anything for me. I muted the pso BGM and I play my own music in the background (which includes burning rangers). When I head to a new environment I turn it back on, but after hearing it once or twice I mute it again.

Hattle
Jul 4, 2012, 08:30 AM
I think PSO2's music is garbage -.- it literally sounds like generic elevator music :/

I tried to get used to it, saying "Maybe itll grow on me like PSO's music back in the day did!"

but NOOOOPE, I STILL HATE IT D: kinda ruins the game in a way but meh what are you gonna do :/

GNERIC ELEVATOR MUSIC FOR THE WIN. imso so on the music front, if it really starts to annoy me, open the volume mixer, Slide that PSO2 beast down to 0 and blast my own "Elevator music" some people might say it ruens the experence, but i've got a pretty good battle mix sorted sinse my first phantasy Star adventure

Akaimizu
Jul 9, 2012, 11:06 AM
Back from my vacation. As I promised, I'll post the updated link for the music today. I'll update this post when it's ready, this evening.

Zipzo
Jul 9, 2012, 11:09 AM
Tracks for me are strangely reminiscent of PSO1 in that the forest tracks of both games are equally two of the most atmospheric, whereas the tracks of the areas that follow (caves/volcano) fall flat and generic. Maybe it's just me though :)They sound similar because they are, not just in a 'feel-ey' way, the newer forest track mimics a lot of the older tracks note and chord progression with only slight variances, and was arranged by the same person to essentially be an upgraded version of the original forest music.

It's to give you a nice kick in the pants going in to PSO2 that makes you go "YES. THIS IS ACTUALLY PSO!".

Jakosifer
Jul 9, 2012, 11:10 AM
The only music that is bad is the Caves music. I just listen to Crisis City Act 2 on the Sonic Generations soundtrack when I'm there. I dig Vol Dragons music though.

Also, I think people slightly overrate PSO's OST, unless we're talking about Episode 3, PSO's music isnt anything godlike. Cept the IDOLA's.

Kanore
Jul 9, 2012, 11:14 AM
I don't like the music on PSO2. Maybe it'll grow on me.

but maybe it won't. The only song I liked from PSU was Mizuraki C.D.

I hate the 'pump-up'py, 'gotta go fast!' approach they took starting with PSU. Literally the only time they did it right was in Via Tubus from Episode 3.

Edit:
The only time they got PSO2/PSU's style of music right, Mizuraki C.D.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRDTb2JevQ
Where I feel like this theme of music first started on the PSO series (aside from the remixes in the same game), Via Tubus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29el60WTmHk

Eternum
Jul 9, 2012, 11:38 AM
Interesting thread topic. PSO1's music stood out to me as some of my favorite music, which is good considering how much and how long I heard it while playing that game to death. I loved most of PSU's music and still listen to the OST frequently.

As for PSO2's music, I haven't gotten terribly far into the game to hear all of it. What I have heard of it I have mixed feelings about. The lobby music strongly reminds me of Eve, which is pretty cool.

Unfortunately though, so far, none of it has leapt out of my speakers and throttled my ears like Aion or PSU where it's like, "OMG WHAT IS THIS AWESOMENESS I'M HEARING?! Quick, find the Youtubes!"

Kazzi
Jul 9, 2012, 11:42 AM
To be honest, just hearing the old PSO sound effects makes me happy. Cave's music was always boring, even in PSO, so the remix of that doesn't make it anything special. I'm hoping that we might get some tricktrack or at least some of the nice music from Epi2 mixed in there. I do miss the old Pioneer 2 music, yet at the same time I'm sick to death of hearing it (especially the track that plays in the shop).

I do however absolutely love the whole new world remix they did for the opening.

xBladeM6x
Jul 9, 2012, 12:01 PM

I completely agree. :D

Also the reason people feel differently about the music is simply this. They are made with different instruments. PSO's music was not orchestral in most areas. Whereas PSU / PSO2's music is. Different tools to make the music, make cause there to be a different "vibe" among people.

Spi
Jul 9, 2012, 02:42 PM
Well, I'm not sure if anyone went through something similar but...

PSO2's ambient music seem to have a hypnotic effect on me. Ever since PSO2 has been released, I found myself sleeping more than actually playing. Four hours of playing, ten to twenty hours of chains of napping/sleeping. :(

I had to turn off the music and play my own to keep me awake. I guess it was effective as a lullaby music, but I really would like to spend more time being awake playing the game rather than forcing me to go to sleep.

Dan Maku
Jul 9, 2012, 02:51 PM
Wavemaster's finest work to date, I say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdviliImdEE

xBladeM6x
Jul 9, 2012, 03:07 PM
Well, I'm not sure if anyone went through something similar but...

PSO2's ambient music seem to have a hypnotic effect on me. Ever since PSO2 has been released, I found myself sleeping more than actually playing. Four hours of playing, ten to twenty hours of chains of napping/sleeping. :(
YES. OMG. I'm finally not the only one! I had to turn it off, and replace it with my DnB music. Instead of listening to PSO2 music, I'm listening to this through my home theater while I play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP2H8Ep7C-8

Akaimizu
Jul 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Ok. Here it is.

I wrote this song called "Forces of Nature" which is based off the story premise of a Force Society formed just after the events of Phantasy Star Zero. So yes, it's PSZ-based, but it does utilize a number of Phantasy Star elements in it. It's a big song, over 4 minutes, and is kind of multi-sectional.

http://soundcloud.com/akaimizu/force-of-nature-mark-2-full

Coatl
Jul 10, 2012, 05:10 PM
Ok. Here it is.

I wrote this song called "Forces of Nature" which is based off the story premise of a Force Society formed just after the events of Phantasy Star Zero. So yes, it's PSZ-based, but it does utilize a number of Phantasy Star elements in it. It's a big song, over 4 minutes, and is kind of multi-sectional.

I like it lots. <3
Very nice work you did here.

Would implore you to upload it to youtube, since that's where I storecase all my favourite songs.
But you know, up to you.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
This one is probably my favorite...

can someone find an upload of Tundra's music, though? I need to hear it straight before I make a final decision.

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZ3fbp9oMw&hd=1[/SPOILER-BOX]

BIG OLAF
Jul 10, 2012, 05:26 PM
My favorite is definitely the City music variants.

...and yes, some one RU-HEELY needs to upload the Tundra tracks. They're awesome.

NoiseHERO
Jul 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
/is the only one depressingly bored with this game's music... D:

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
/is the only one depressingly bored with this game's music... D:

It's cool. I can only think of two tracks from PSO that I actually liked. Most of them were bleh straight out bland to me.

[sarcastically] Yes, yes, I know; burn the heretic.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 05:37 PM
The only music from PSO I liked was the Jungle music. Otherwise I don't understand the obsession.

PSO2's music is slightly better for me, but I still would rather listen to other music while playing. Especially for the Mini boss fights...

I was listening to Space Jam while in game the other day just on a whim.

It.....kinda worked, too. ¬_¬

It was weird.

NoiseHERO
It's cool. I can only think of two tracks from PSO that I actually liked. Most of them were bleh to me.

[sarcastically] Yes, yes, I know; burn the heretic.

I only liked a few ep2 and 3 tracks as well. But they still made up for the whole sound track since the game only had like 12 stages or something. D8

I'll be waiting for the songs that actually have some content in them. (If anything as well, I think the songs transition TOO much. The interesting parts of songs sort of just fade into a lost mess and you just get this boring random parts when enemies pop up. D:)

Instead of calm, no enemies

And energetic and upbeat or epic when enemies do pop up.

Now it's all... calm music when there's no music. Then slightly less calm and serious... then kinda energetic but still boring sounding, then stuck in slightly less calm so it makes everything all awkward, then 20 minutes later that one classic PSO sounding part comes up and you're all "Heeyy" Then you stop caring again and the music goes back to being white noise...

sugarFO
Ok. Here it is.

I like the music and I think an instrumental version would be better!

OT: I want the Tundra battle music NAO!!

Coatl
Jul 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
I was listening to Space Jam while in game the other day just on a whim.

It.....kinda worked, too. ¬_¬

It was weird.

But space jam works with anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UofoWz1sbQ

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]
I only liked a few ep2 and 3 tracks as well. But they still made up for the whole sound track since the game only had like 12 stages or something. D8

I'll be waiting for the songs that actually have some content in them. (If anything as well, I think the songs transition TOO much. The interesting parts of songs sort of just fade into a lost mess and you just get this boring random parts when enemies pop up. D:)

Instead of calm, no enemies

And energetic and upbeat or epic when enemies do pop up.

Now it's all... calm music when there's no music. Then slightly less calm and serious... then kinda energetic but still boring sounding, then stuck in slightly less calm so it makes everything all awkward, then 20 minutes later that one classic PSO sounding part comes up and you're all "Heeyy" Then you stop caring again and the music goes back to being white noise...
[/SPOILER-BOX]

It's weird, in both games, I like listening to the music off of youtube in the background, instead of in game. PSO was better with transitions ingame, I think. PSO2 it just feels like it's absent. I'm still loving the game, though. And I'm happy I actually like a lot of the music in this game.

indeed.... That made me crack up, for the record. If you can somehow replace the audio with Space Jam instead of just overlapping the two, it'd be amazing.

gigawuts
Jul 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
I was linked some spacejam mixes or whatever they're called and figured it would be awful but no, somehow it actually seriously makes just about everything amazing. Of particular note is Scanty and Kneesocks' theme from PSG. My god.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
I was linked some spacejam mixes or whatever they're called and figured it would be awful but no, somehow it actually seriously makes just about everything amazing. Of particular note is Scanty's theme from PSG. My god.

Better than Giles' theme, at least. Kinda sick of it, at this point.

NoiseHERO
Jul 10, 2012, 05:45 PM

Phantasy Slam OnJam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UofoWz1sbQ)

That didn't fit at all.

But why am I laughing so much?

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
That didn't fit at all.

But why am I laughing so much?

Because it's funny. Just accept it. :P

BIG OLAF
Jul 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
I liked most of PSO's music, and it was certainly a masterwork for its time, but I don't freak out over how "amazing" it was. My favorite tracks from PSO (all episodes) would have to be:

Silent Palace
Tricktrack
IDOLA Have The Immortal Feather
Tower of Caelum
Via Tubus
Rose Confession

EDIT: and the "World With Me" PSOBB Remix.

Aeris
Jul 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
I like the music and I think an instrumental version would be better!

OT: I want the Tundra battle music NAO!!

I would like it too but donno when the person was getting the music is gonna upload it to youtube.

TerminalMontage
Jul 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
I really think PSO2's soundtrack fell short.

I hope the newer levels have better music, and it was nice to her a bit of the forest song in PSO2's forest, but the song itself isn't that great, it tickles me inside when I hear Forest1 for those few seconds though.

I hope they do the new Mines is right. Doesn't need to be an exact replica, but I loved the colors they used, and the music was so fitting.

Phantasma
Jul 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
I knew it wasn't just me that liked the Tundra BGM :D

Aeris
Jul 10, 2012, 07:01 PM

Yeah its my fav BGM atm

HFlowen
Jul 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
I really dislike the desert music. It gives me a headache.

ALC
Jul 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
The music isn't bad. I feel like it's just a bit too ambient for how PSO2 plays. As someone else said, it moves at a much faster pace than PSO. There needs to be more tracks like the Dark Ragne fight. Best track in game so far, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C3BZ4WbEGU&feature=relmfu

I will have to say, what PSO2 does right with its music is the transitioning and slight variations based on the current situation. There are 5 other variations to this song based on how many armored legs he has and how much health you have. Very interesting.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
i feel like they tried to be too ambitious with their "adapting" music system, so as a result, the overall score of the music suffered.

i too like dark ragne's theme a lot. probably my favorite is jus the OP song. but yeah, i really wouldn't have minded if sticking to just one bgm let them create better music.

a lot of it is too chaotic with too many noises. i liked being able to zone out and play the game, and a lot of pso 1+2 songs let that happen.

for boss fights it's fine but there's a difference between fast paced and too much going on. you need to make sure that the sounds are all supporting each other somehow. but sometimes they don't in my opinion, like tundra. there are times where tundra bgm sounds great but then when you start fighting (i think) there are too many sounds and nothing is supporting each other.

i also feel like that perhaps they just couldn't recruit the old composers for their music. my favorite bgm from pso 1+2 was the jungle theme, both deep jungle and beach. i later found out it was the only song created on the pso 1+2 ost by this one composer, who didn't make anything else for pso1+2. she made a lot of music for sonic games. it was surprising because i listened to her other stuff and it was good but it didn't sound the same at all like jungle.

Zyrusticae
Jul 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
My favorite track from the original PSO was the ruins battle theme. Them VIOLINS, man! If they can get even a single track as beautiful as that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irqogIOQ8vk

...So far, however, I haven't been terribly impressed. However, I can say that the music feels fitting for the action, which I think is its greatest asset. Not so much for listening outside of the game, however...

ScottyMango
Jul 10, 2012, 08:27 PM
i feel like they tried to be too ambitious with their "adapting" music system, so as a result, the overall score of the music suffered.

I like the adapting music, but I agree with this. PSO's songs felt a lot more solid; they had more straight forward melody. In PSO2, it's adapting so often that the song is kind of a.. blob-ish thing.

I do really like the OST though, despite it not being as solid as PSO1's.

Revolution to the Origin part 2 is also my favorite PSO song. It was so incredibly epic and full of emotion.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 10, 2012, 08:32 PM
I like the adapting music, but I agree with this. PSO's songs felt a lot more solid; they had more straight forward melody. In PSO2, it's adapting so often that the song is kind of a.. blob-ish thing.

I do really like the OST though, despite it not being as solid as PSO1's.

Revolution to the Origin part 2 is also my favorite PSO song. It was so incredibly epic and full of emotion.

dont get me wrong, it's a pretty cool idea. but i wouldn't have done it if it meant they could have spent more time on just making cleaner, more precise music.

FraB
Jul 10, 2012, 08:39 PM

I'm digging the tundra BGM :D Also liking forest but I have to agree with OP in the sense that caves/desert music sounds a bit dull and doesn't stand out.

KrankItVZ
Jul 10, 2012, 09:39 PM
The spacy music stuff like in the lobby is cool BUT listening to it too long is friggin weird. City BGM sounds best to me right now :P

Garnet_Moon
Jul 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
Y'know, I forgot this game had music... I've been using youtube for my BGM ever since it went retail.

ScottyMango
Jul 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
I don't understand how people can do that. It takes so much out of the fullness of the whole experience.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
I don't understand how people can do that. It takes so much out of the fullness of the whole experience.

Because listening to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlIlDqmweM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLKWeKgtt9A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQ3Wk59zoM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkFnXJEk2H4

Never gets old. Also, for some reason when I'm completely "in" to a game I get bored quickly. Gotta keep it either comedic, angry, awesome, or badass to play. Especially since I'm still not off the desert. Not even 25 to clear for the Tundra yet. I'm so sick of the desert...

NoiseHERO
Jul 10, 2012, 10:12 PM
Also Youtube is awesome for finding music, but it's a pain in the ass using it to replace your MP3 player...

Sound Cloud FTW!

(Then again SC is mostly perfect for replacing your MP3 player if you're me and you have the same taste in music as a skateboard hipster.)

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
Yes the ship music shouldve been a Pioneer 2 remix...darn they messed up.

BIG OLAF
Jul 10, 2012, 11:20 PM

Sometimes I listen to Liquicity (http://www.youtube.com/user/Liquicity/videos) whilst playing, because that's the kind of music I like. A lot of it is high-energy, so it gets my adrenaline pumping.

There's nothing wrong with having your "own" soundtrack playing. It adds new life to the game in some cases.

sugarFO
Jul 10, 2012, 11:24 PM
Yes the ship music shouldve been a Pioneer 2 remix...darn they messed up.

I really was wanting this. The original Pioneer 2 theme was just awesome when I first played PSO. I felt like I was transported into this crazy futuristic world. It definitely leaves an impression. I feel like PSO2 is trying to be all "clean and sterile" type of futuristic when I'd rather they go back to their roots and be a funky, gaudy kind.

Edit: Screw bedtime I'm going to listen to it right meow! XD

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
I really was wanting this. The original Pioneer 2 theme was just awesome when I first played PSO. I felt like I was transported into this crazy futuristic world. It definitely leaves an impression. I feel like PSO2 is trying to be all "clean and sterile" type of futuristic when I'd rather they go back to their roots and be a funky, gaudy kind.

Right, PSO felt like 5th element type future, which they borrowed "elements" heavily from XD even some of the music. Maybe they feel guilty about it...I hate answering my own questions heheh.

But yeah! they should've had a remix of it! I mean its PSO2, at least they got some mini remixes here and there like in the forest...ah well love the music! Finally ANOTHER Episode huh?

See kids this is what PSU should've been heheh.

ZcRaider
Jul 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
I actually like the Desert theme. It reminds me of the crescendos and melody found in the movie Inception. "The Dream is Collasping" i think is the name of the OST. Good movie, reminds me of the matrix.

Edit: Here it is. Now tell me the desert theme does not sound similar to that!
Listen to the crescendos about 30secs - 1min in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs

sugarFO
Jul 11, 2012, 12:00 AM
I actually like the Desert theme. It reminds me of the crescendos and melody found in the movie Inception. "The Dream is Collasping" i think is the name of the OST. Good movie, reminds me of the matrix.
Now tell me the desert theme does not sound similar to that!

Inception Soundtrack-Dream is Collapsing (Hans Zimmer) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs)

OMG it totally does! Great find!

Ark22
Jul 11, 2012, 12:02 AM
Now tell me the desert theme does not sound similar to that!

Listen to the crescendos about 30secs - 1min in.
Inception Soundtrack-Dream is Collapsing (Hans Zimmer) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs)

*Takes off shades* Mother of god.....So we aren't really in a desert...we are in a dream of someone dreaming about the desert in which we partake.....O.O *mind blown* So...it was like we were never there at all...Music is awesome by the way.

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
It's alright. The only track I find to be a real throwaway so far is the tundra one. It's not melodious or catchy; it's just there.

I really dig the city theme, though, and I thought the forest having a touch of the original game's was a nice throwback. It also avoids the obvious trap of "just remix that theme altogether"; it's just enough for you to notice.

ZcRaider
Jul 11, 2012, 12:05 AM
Omg, if the servers when not down now, I would be trying to hit lvl 30 as we speak.... lol

And thanks and LOL Ark22 :-)

Hucast-Kireek
Jul 11, 2012, 12:23 AM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So many quests...So many QUESTS!

But yeah I really love the desert's music, so far so good good job SEGA.

SaiKo
Jul 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
Eh. The only music I find on the same level as PSO's so far is the character select music, the 'intro' music (the one that heavily samples Whole New World), and parts of the Forest music...

But the game in general lacks the type of atmosphere and energy PSO had IMO, so even similar music would end up feeling a fair bit different.
I'd like to see that worked on in general, but if not, then I guess the current music suits things well enough. ;-\

Akaimizu
Aug 9, 2012, 07:22 AM
Ok. Here's another Phantasy Star inspired song, also from the Forces of Nature soundtrack, I did. Again, Forces of Nature was originally formed around the Phantasy Star Zero story arc, so the music reflects that a bit, also. Still, some PSO aspects in the tune. This one isn't long, but it is to show the environment and the discovery of some ancient relics surrounding the past civilization and the "mother" computer. This discovery would've had very important significance to one of the characters in the Forces of Nature.

http://soundcloud.com/akaimizu/forces-of-nature-relic

gigawuts
Aug 9, 2012, 07:47 AM

I agree so very, very much. I was never heavily into music in my youth, and never really liked most electronic music I heard (I didn't dislike it, I just never gave it much thought) but I discovered PSO and Daft Punk at the same time and suddenly a whole ton of music followed. Since then I've learned to enjoy literally every other genre, but for me PSO and Daft Punk are really one and the same. I can't run mines without hearing Homework, and I can't hear Daft Punk without seeing the mines.

The city music in PSO was quality stuff, and having different songs for each area was great too. I liked the market theme, the hospital theme, principal theme, and yes the guild counter theme too. It was really quite nice. I wish the music would shift when you went into the different sections on PSO2. The gate room could keep the base city theme, but the shop area has the summer stuff so could have the holiday themes.

I know some people dislike the idea of remixing PSO1 music in PSO2, but I think it'd be great if done right. Like Zelda and Metroid games - every successive game borrows from the earlier games, but also brings in new music. Those are two of my absolute favorite series for that reason, amongst others.

Akaimizu
Aug 9, 2012, 08:42 AM
Ok. Here's another Phantasy Star inspired song, also from the Forces of Nature soundtrack, I did. Again, Forces of Nature was originally formed around the Phantasy Star Zero story arc, so the music reflects that a bit, also. Still, some PSO aspects in the tune. This one isn't long, but it is to show the environment and the discovery of some ancient relics surrounding the past civilization and the "mother" computer. This discovery would've had very important significance to one of the characters in the Forces of Nature.

http://soundcloud.com/akaimizu/forces-of-nature-relic

Small rare bump so this doesn't get lost. Hope this is gaudy enough.

KrankItVZ
Aug 9, 2012, 09:08 AM
Love the lobby music right now. The spacing one from the start becomes very annoying after listening for a long time

Blizz3112
Aug 9, 2012, 09:45 AM
Lillipa Battle Theme is now my favorite so far. It is on par if not better than the Jungle theme of PSO... No, ITS better because it evolves as it plays...

gigawuts
Aug 9, 2012, 09:51 AM
I don't know why people like this super-evolving music.

If after I leave a level I can't remember the music I was just listening to I don't consider that a success. I recall music from every single game I've played in detail, but this one? Just the theme song. Everything else change's too much to be memorable.

Blizz3112
Aug 9, 2012, 09:57 AM
I don't know why people like this super-evolving music.

If after I leave a level I can't remember the music I was just listening to I don't consider that a success. I recall music from every single game I've played in detail, but this one? Just the theme song. Everything else change's too much to be memorable.

What people tend to forget... memorable can get boring. With PSO 2 I like the music because it always seems to change endlessly (or so it seems)...

gigawuts
Aug 9, 2012, 10:00 AM
The key word there is "can." I don't find the music in a lot of games boring. PSO1 was a game where I found the music to be great and very fitting.

I find most of the music in the fields in this game to be a complete and utter failure, seemingly repeating every 30 seconds but then changing after 2 repeats. It never has a chance to be an actual song, it's just noise.