PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about autoword?

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 1, 2012, 07:04 PM
So, I signed on earlier today and the first thing I did was set up my autowords (mainly because I wanted the NPC version of my character to seem a little more interactive despite me not actually being there, lol). Things were going fine for a while, until this one guy joined the party I was in and started complaining about it.

He's like, "Shut the hell up already. Every time you do that, I have to see your face. I'm getting sick of it". We went back and forth about his complaints and I just told him that if he had a problem with a feature Sega implemented, he should take it up with them. How is it my fault that I'm using something that's featured in the game to be used?

At first the guy thought I was just typing the same stuff over and over again, but there was no way I was typing that fast, lol. I guess he was unfamiliar with the usage of autowords since even the leader said, "No, that is an autoword" and he just said, "lol ok". The autowords got pretty consistent once we hit PSE Burst and had more codes activating during all of this.

I don't honestly see what the problem is though. I didn't have an autoword set to everything. I could have made it even more "annoying" by setting something to be said during an attack or PA. Even then, that would be like playing an offline RPG and complaining about hearing one of your party members call out the name of a skill every time he/she uses it. "God, why don't you just shut up? Quit saying the same thing over and over again, it's annoying", etc.

Anyway, this is the first person I've encountered that had an issue with it. I've played in a handful of Japanese parties (usually just stick with English parties for easier communication), but they use autowords also. So, what's your take on autowords? Do you think this guy was overreacting or do you think his complaints were valid?

TheBlackMage
Jul 1, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'm assuming there isn't a frequency value at which you can "set" how often your character uses auto-words because some times they do seem to pop up more than they should however I would prefer "over-use" of auto-words than none at all. They can really give a character some flavor.

I just wish I knew how to make them, if only someone would be so kind as to make a guide on how to do so. wink.gif

Sp-24
Jul 1, 2012, 07:16 PM
I don't like it. I'm not against autoword, but there should be a limit to everything, including the number of times you character's face appears on the screen (the closer it's to zero, the better). Unless it's something like a successful code or quest completion, you can probably do without a mugshot (at least), and if you have face animations set to the attacks, monomate usages and deaths, you deserve to be blacklisted, IMO.

And about your problem with that guy, it's one thing if he was complaining about something that should actually be taken to Sega, as you suggested, and it's completely different if he doesn't like something that you are personally responsible for. Be less annoying, and chances are people will get less annoyed.

Vashyron
Jul 1, 2012, 07:19 PM
Auto words, I personally don't mind so much with just text, but then I get someone who fills every single damn one with cut ins then it's just... :wacko:

TheBlackMage
Jul 1, 2012, 07:21 PM
I'm not against autoword, but there should be a limit to everything, including the number of times you character's face appears on the screen (the closer it's to zero, the better). Unless it's something like a successful code or quest completion, you can probably do without a mugshot (at least), and if you have face animations set to the attacks, monomate usages and deaths, you deserve to be blacklisted, IMO.

This I do agree with, thankfully I haven't experienced much of this yet though. Save a face pic for entering a party or killing a boss. I think I would kill someone if I saw it activate upon performing attacks. >_>

Finetic
Jul 1, 2012, 07:24 PM
I set up some the other day and while I think they are a cool addition, I'm already getting tired of seeing my character say the same things over and over again. Might end up taking some off. Too bad there is no frequency slider. I have no problem with others using them though--it's cool to see some of the phrases people come up with.

I just wish I knew how to make them, if only someone would be so kind as to make a guide on how to do so. wink.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196622

mhjc
Jul 1, 2012, 07:25 PM
Autowords get quite annoying with mug shots, mainly for healing. I ended up turning off all face-cutins and most of my autowords just to not see it myself. I only have about 5 autowords set, I find them too frequent myself. I think the only thing you can do to lower the frequency is to add blanks to the other options in the hopes the game picks those empty slots and then not use them. So it may lower it to a 50% or possibly 33% chance of using one.

RemChu
Jul 1, 2012, 07:30 PM
autowords get annoying fast especially with the mugshot cut scene going off every other minute for a code start and finish.....

TheBlackMage
Jul 1, 2012, 07:34 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196622

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. (and I fail at using the search feature, typed in "autoword" and only got this thread I should've spaced it out. @_@)

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 1, 2012, 07:40 PM
And about your problem with that guy, it's one thing if he was complaining about something that should actually be taken to Sega, as you suggested, and it's completely different if he doesn't like something that you are personally responsible for. Be less annoying, and chances are people will get less annoyed.

It doesn't really have anything to do with me being annoying. He may have thought I was annoying, but he said it was because of autowords. I could have just as easily said he was annoying for not following us around like he should have been or when finding a code/boss himself, just saying, "I found one. Help", rather than telling us where it actually is on the map (e.g. C-2).

My point is, it's not a game breaking mechanic. He needs to relax. 9 times out of 10, I may notice them the first time they pop up, but after that, I'm too busy actually... you know... playing the game to notice them again. If you're going to complain about something, the least you could do is make it something worth actually complaining about (e.g. lag, item randomly disappearing in inventory, someone somehow stole your items, etc.).

It's just a common courtesy thing, in my opinion. You want to use autowords? Fine. You don't? Fine. I'm not going to give you crap either way. I just expect the same kind of courtesy in return rather than have some random dude tell me to, "shut the hell up", then have the nerve to add insult to the injury by complaining about how my character looks as well (as if that was necessary).

I could be partied with a dude that screams, "I'M THE ICE CREAM MAN! BOOM!" every time he uses a PA for all I care. If you're really going to get that bent out of shape over something like that, maybe you should consider playing a game with less communication involved.

sugarFO
Jul 1, 2012, 07:46 PM
I have seen some pretty stupid autowords. Just because you can fill each one in doesnt mean you should.

Sp-24
Jul 1, 2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah, three phrases per trigger is a limit, not a suggestion.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 1, 2012, 07:54 PM
I have seen some pretty stupid autowords. Just because you can fill each one in doesnt mean you should.

Just because you can leave them all blank doesn't mean you should. It's a two way street and that's exactly the problem I think a lot of people have when playing multiplayer games. They expect the other player to play by the rules which they have created for themselves in their own head.

In other words:

Player A: I think autowords are stupid. I'll never use them.

Player B: This is an interesting concept, I think I'll try it out.

Player A: You use autowords? You must be an idiot.

I'm just playing by the rules of the game itself, much like everyone else around here, so I don't honestly see the problem.

Yeah, three phrases per trigger is a limit, not a suggestion.

Was dancing idly in the lobby also a suggestion? No, but you see a ton of people do it anyway. Why? Because the choice is there and it's not game breaking.

Sure, I don't agree with it, but who am I to tell them any differently? They're allowed to do it, so more power to them. I just want the same respect, that's all. I don't think it's that much to ask for, honestly.

electrolytes
Jul 1, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm glad that we have the option to use autowords, even if there's the potential to be annoying to a small (there's always someone) or large number of people depending on how you set them up - it's a similar deal with symbol chat, and normal communication for that matter.

I did have one party where 90% of the text was just autowords, though. It made it difficult to follow actual conversations and questions. I eventually found an option (http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-options-guide/#communication) to not log autowords though.

Also, another chat/autowords guide:
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-chat-and-autowords-guide/

Sp-24
Jul 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
Doesn't everybody want respect, though? People don't clutter your screen with random garbage, for example, can't you respond in kind?

And tell that random dancing is not game breaking to people who can't join the block because it's full of idiots who do nothing but dance in the lobby.

NoiseHERO
Jul 1, 2012, 07:58 PM
I'm glad that we have the option to use autowords, even if there's the potential to be annoying to a small (there's always someone) or large number of people depending on how you set them up - it's a similar deal with symbol chat, and normal communication for that matter.

I did have one party where 90% of the text was just autowords, though. It made it difficult to follow actual conversations and questions. I eventually found an option (http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-options-guide/#communication) to not log autowords though.

Also, another chat/autowords guide:
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-chat-and-autowords-guide/

Wow that actually sounds really useful,

I don't mind auto-words or cut-ins (Better if they're made by someone whose actually funny/interesting though) But they definitely clog up the chat.

sugarFO
Jul 1, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just because you can leave them all blank doesn't mean you should. It's a two way street and that's exactly the problem I think a lot of people have when playing multiplayer games. They expect the other player to play by the rules which they have created for themselves in their own head.

In other words:

Player A: I think autowords are stupid. I'll never use them.

Player B: This is an interesting concept, I think I'll try it out.

Player A: You use autowords? You must be an idiot.

I'm just playing by the rules of the game itself, much like everyone else around here, so I don't honestly see the problem.

Was dancing idly in the lobby also a suggestion? No, but you see a ton of people do it anyway. Why? Because the choice is there and it's not game breaking.

Sure, I don't agree with it, but who am I to tell them any differently? They're allowed to do it, so more power to them. I just want the same respect, that's all. I don't think it's that much to ask for, honestly.

Except it's just as obnoxious to keep a bunch of spammy autowords knowing they are bothering people as it is to criticize having them at all.

Gardios
Jul 1, 2012, 08:13 PM
I don't mind auto words, but for the love of god please only use cut-ins for the start and end of the quest!

I don't mind auto-words or cut-ins (Better if they're made by someone whose actually funny/interesting though) But they definitely clog up the chat.
You can disable that in the options, meaning you only see them on screen.

Hakoten
Jul 1, 2012, 08:18 PM
I find autowords annoying.

Xaeris
Jul 1, 2012, 08:19 PM
It doesn't really sound to me that the OP was looking for honest insight as to how that guy could have found him annoying so much as he's looking for people to pat him on the back and say, "yeah, that guy was totally overreacting." So, sorry about how this thread is going for you.

Me, I don't mind cut ins for the autoword events that wouldn't display frequently, like the start and end of a mission. But when they're attached to the ones that pop up constantly, I start making a mental note not to bring that NPC again if it was me who brought it.

Keiko_Seisha
Jul 1, 2012, 08:23 PM
I don't mind a little use of the autowords. I use a few (very few) and only for situations such as: I level up (Power Up~), party member levels up (Congrats!), I find a rare (Rare Get~), we complete a quest (Good Work!). They're all in very simple Japanese and in place mostly in case I run with Japanese players. I used to have thank yous set for heals and buffs from members but it got annoying when I'd get healed or buffed a lot so I stopped those one.

Only other ones I really need to set for myself are when I drop dead so someone can be informed what has happened so they can use a Moon for me if they want.

Somnia
Jul 1, 2012, 08:45 PM
I don't like when players use their faces nonstop, otherwise it's no problem.

Mag-X
Jul 1, 2012, 08:52 PM
TetsuyaHikari, was this during a desert exp farming run? I think I was playing with you because I saw the beginning of the argument before I got disconnected. If this is you, yes, your autowords are really annoying and way too frequent. Please remove the ones for the beginning and finish of CODEs. They appear way too frequently.

RocSage
Jul 1, 2012, 09:13 PM
I use autowords, but i try to only use important ones, informational ones, or ones that aren't all that important.

Large hit for example is an important one because it tells mages that "Ouch I just got hit hard and I may need healing"
Same with the 30% and 10% HP ones

Code Start you can set to tell where the code is thus everyone able to get to it, but unfortunately it happens every time so when all 4 players get it it goes off every time.

The only one that i use that is really spammy in my opinion is the "heal" one which can get annoying since it triggers after every heal and is really just a "thank you"

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 1, 2012, 09:16 PM
There is an option to block auto-words from popping up.

Also, when making auto-words you can add various alternate phrases by using the + button. I assume if you make "blank" alternates you can set the frequency of your auto-words.

NoiseHERO
Jul 1, 2012, 10:27 PM
I don't mind auto words, but for the love of god please only use cut-ins for the start and end of the quest!

You can disable that in the options, meaning you only see them on screen.

The...

The post I just quoted just posted a link on how, captain informative! D<

Coatl
Jul 1, 2012, 10:43 PM
There is an option to block auto-words from popping up.

Also, when making auto-words you can add various alternate phrases by using the + button. I assume if you make "blank" alternates you can set the frequency of your auto-words.

The blank alternatives are actually "erased" next time you visit the auto-talk options. It will be as if you never set them.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 1, 2012, 10:56 PM
The blank alternatives are actually "erased" next time you visit the auto-talk options. It will be as if you never set them.

awww.... that sucks
thanks for confirming that though
I really hope they add some way to set the frequency....

Tajima Hirago
Jul 1, 2012, 11:05 PM
As someone that has an autoword for about 90% of all the options INCLUDING each with cut ins (Yeah..) I can honestly say that I can understand whats with all the hate. Though I personally never ran into anyone that had a problem with it (For mine anyways) I will say that not everyone is tolerant and has the patience to put up with it lol.

But I mean, c'mon for some people they have some very funny ones. Yea im looking at you LuneFox! Anyways now a days I find myself putting "Autowords On" in the party comments ahead of time to let people know, "Hey, chances are im gonna annoy you with constant shortcuts so just the heads up! If not, cool! If so, then atleast your warned!" everytime I start a mission >_>."

My main gripe is, cut OFF on the cut INS on the unnecessary ones atleast. Having "HAAAH" everytime you attack is one thing but when we have to look at your character face plastered on the screen EVERYTIME then..well, yea. All-in-all some people like it and some people don't and that's that. But for all that is holy..the CUT INS! Be wise about them! ^^;

pikachief
Jul 1, 2012, 11:36 PM
I could be partied with a dude that screams, "I'M THE ICE CREAM MAN! BOOM!" every time he uses a PA for all I care. If you're really going to get that bent out of shape over something like that, maybe you should consider playing a game with less communication involved.

im tempted to put that for every autoword option with cut-ins now lol

Macman
Jul 2, 2012, 12:11 AM
Autowords are something that needs to be used in moderation. I personally would only use it to set up my NPC partner so he's not so lifeless, and even then only for a few select situations.

I knew a friend who had the creepiest and most unnecessary autowords (ALL with cut-ins) and it annoyed me every mission we played.

Demon-
Jul 2, 2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah I don't fill them all in and only use the cut-in face for entering the zone and finishing quest. The attacking one is only annoying if there is a cut-in with it.

But the most annoying by far I've seen was the PSE level up autoword. Durring open beta someone had it going and I was in the same multiparty area. The whole time I was thinking OMG SHUT UP noone needs to know if your PSE leveled up. Eventually I gave up and ran to the single player area.

Really though I've had no problems with them so far. It's interesting to see what people come up with.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 2, 2012, 12:41 AM
Doesn't everybody want respect, though? People don't clutter your screen with random garbage, for example, can't you respond in kind?

And tell that random dancing is not game breaking to people who can't join the block because it's full of idiots who do nothing but dance in the lobby.

Actually, it's more like: I'm not being a jackass to you, so why are you being one to me all of the sudden?

I don't believe it's right to suddenly start disrespecting someone just because they're doing something you don't agree with. There's a right way and a wrong way to approach people during a multitude of situations. Generally, to get the response you desire, your first words shouldn't be, "Shut the hell up already."

Also, I do agree with you about the random dancing stuff. I've been blocked out of Block 20 for 10 minutes or so before no thanks to people like that, but ya know what? There's not a damn thing I can do about it except grin and bear it. Moaning and complaining to them isn't going to get them to stop, so I might as well just accept the fact that they're going to do what they're going to do, just as I'm going to do what I'm going to do.

Remember, we're here to play on our own time, not on other people's. This means, don't be surprised if I don't play how you want me to play.

Except it's just as obnoxious to keep a bunch of spammy autowords knowing they are bothering people as it is to criticize having them at all.

Not really, no. As I said before, it was my first day using autowords. How was I supposed to know it was going to be annoying to him? Besides, god forbid I should annoy this one player with autowords. Maybe I should just change the way I play completely for his sake. Pfft.

For all I knew, the guy was just having a bad day and my autowords were the straw that finally broke the camel's back. Why do you think I came here to create this thread to get feedback? Now that I understand the situation a little better and the general consensus seems to be that autowords are fine, but cut-ins should be used seldom, I'll make some adjustments later to rectify this.

It doesn't really sound to me that the OP was looking for honest insight as to how that guy could have found him annoying so much as he's looking for people to pat him on the back and say, "yeah, that guy was totally overreacting." So, sorry about how this thread is going for you.

Me, I don't mind cut ins for the autoword events that wouldn't display frequently, like the start and end of a mission. But when they're attached to the ones that pop up constantly, I start making a mental note not to bring that NPC again if it was me who brought it.

I'm not that shallow, lol. I can give myself a pat on the back and say, "Yeah, that guy was totally overreacting." That's not what I was looking for though. When did this thread turn into the shrink's couch? :P

I was genuinely curious as to how other people felt towards them because all of his complaining got me thinking, that's all. So yeah, all-in-all, this thread is going just fine for me. It's not very informative if people just agree or disagree with you. In here though, there have been reasons behind the mentality and that's what is important.

It was my first time using the autowords though, so I suppose I can keep a handful with cut-ins (level up, begin mission, finish mission) and decide what else I want to leave as text. I just wasn't aware that people felt this way towards them. I can't even remember a time back when playing PSU that you didn't have these cut-ins flying all over the place during missions, lol.

im tempted to put that for every autoword option with cut-ins now lol

DO EET

Ryock
Jul 2, 2012, 01:39 AM
Autoword kinda makes me feel like I'm playing with NPCs. Especially when autowords are the only thing the players use and don't speak a single other word.

nightmesh
Jul 2, 2012, 02:00 AM
There is an option to turn them off so if you don't like them you can turn them off completely and never have to deal with them. Some of them need cut ins and some don't. I tested them out and found out what I think needs cut ins and what doesn't. It's all about the indivual.

Auto words are new to a lot of people so their gonna try and make some that stand out. There a few of them I don't think needed an auto word for like attacking/dodging(which are really rare and don't need cut ins). You just gotta understand that its an online game and you gotta play with other people.

If someone doesn't like your play-style then their are tons of other people to play with. Like wise you have tons of people that would love to see what your auto words. I like taking some of my friends npc and seeing them talk. Some are pretty funny. ^_^ Auto words are gonna be a love or hate kind of thing.

The op did say it was their first time using them so cut them some slack.

Ogni-XR21
Jul 2, 2012, 02:07 AM
In some cases autoword is ok, like clearing a code. But as a force (who loves support) I find the autowords for heals pretty annoying. Not only that but it kind of cheapens the thank's you get... to me it's something different to have a macro which you activate yourself from time to time - it's at least some "effort" on the receivers side, but with autoword it feels cheap. So much that I actually despise people who use it.

I'm kinda weird that way, I know....

JeyKama
Jul 2, 2012, 02:11 AM
Having flavor is always a good thing, but some people have sensitive taste buds and a lousy attitude and for those, at least you can turn off auto-words completely. As long as it's not crude or deliberately annoying, I enjoy seeing peoples' RP and I have a few enabled myself, but moderation is always a good thing too.

Which is 100% more than can be said for those damn symbol arts. Want to turn those off permanently.

TheBlackMage
Jul 2, 2012, 02:29 AM
Which is 100% more than can be said for those damn symbol arts. Want to turn those off permanently.

I concur.

(On a side note, speaking of turning things off is there a way to turn off the grey system chat? takes up a majority of the chat log and it useless for me since I am unable to read it. :/ )

nightmesh
Jul 2, 2012, 02:33 AM
I concur.

(On a side note, speaking of turning things off is there a way to turn off the grey system chat? takes up a majority of the chat log and it useless for me since I am unable to read it. :/ )^ ^ ^
This needs an answer like no other.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 2, 2012, 02:55 AM
(On a side note, speaking of turning things off is there a way to turn off the grey system chat? takes up a majority of the chat log and it useless for me since I am unable to read it. :/ )

I wouldn't think so. The system announcements are included in there, so I suppose they don't want anybody being left out when they give a maintenance announcement. Granted, it would still roll it across the top of the screen, but you just said you're unable to read it anyway, so yeah... lol.

Jrgsubzero
Jul 2, 2012, 03:00 AM
It feels like an awesome concept that gets annoying over time.

LinkKD
Jul 2, 2012, 03:00 AM
There is an option to turn them off so if you don't like them you can turn them off completely and never have to deal with them. Some of them need cut ins and some don't. I tested them out and found out what I think needs cut ins and what doesn't. It's all about the indivual.

THAT /\

http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-options-guide/#communication

For the haters, instead of complaining about it, you can be smart and solve the problem yourselves c: .

you can either disable auto-words aswell as leave them on but avoid that they show up on the log window...I think this also shows how to disable the System chat.

I set up some the other day and while I think they are a cool addition, I'm already getting tired of seeing my character say the same things over and over again. Might end up taking some off. Too bad there is no frequency slider. I have no problem with others using them though--it's cool to see some of the phrases people come up with.

You can have 3 variations of the same trigger auto-word, just press the little "+" next to the auto-word

having said that, you probably also can set the % that your auto-word will come out or not by pressing the "+" and leaving the other second and/or third spots empty...then supposedly, only 33% of the time it will trigger.

About my opinion, I like it...it gives the character some more flavour like it was said...I guess it's just not good to have them set in a way they'll overflood the screen with cut-ins all the time...because it becomes a vision hazard.

But other than that I approve of them and find them a good addition to the game, even because of the friend NPCs option. It's even useful for like...thanking for a heal or saying "gratz" for a lvl up, without having to stop to type.

TheBlackMage
Jul 2, 2012, 03:01 AM
I wouldn't think so. The system announcements are included in there, so I suppose they don't want anybody being left out when they give a maintenance announcement. Granted, it would still roll it across the top of the screen, but you just said you're unable to read it anyway, so yeah... lol.

Maintenance notifications would be easy to read as it'd still have the date and time (Hundreds of languages worldwide...everyone agrees on using numbers @_@)

Quite a shame though, now I'm really looking forward to an English language option/release just so I can know what is so important that it constantly has to be in our chat boxes. : P

Vent
Jul 2, 2012, 03:17 AM
Quite a shame though, now I'm really looking forward to an English language option/release just so I can know what is so important that it constantly has to be in our chat boxes. : P

You can in some way bypass those by switching to a specific chat channel in the c hat box. It's the upper drop-down box. You can switch the display to only, for example, party chat.

Also, those announcements with time are information about the next/current Interrupt Rankings.

TheBlackMage
Jul 2, 2012, 03:27 AM
You can in some way bypass those by switching to a specific chat channel in the c hat box. It's the upper drop-down box. You can switch the display to only, for example, party chat.

I'll have to use that, thanks for the tip! (There wouldn't happen to be a way to edit what appears in the party tab would there? the only chat modes I use are Party and Normal and I don't want to exclude one or the other. : x)

Also, those announcements with time are information about the next/current Interrupt Rankings.

I knew that...*cough* just testing you. : x (Maybe I should just buckle down and start learning to read it XD)

Akaimizu
Jul 2, 2012, 03:32 AM
Auto words is an awesome concept, but it's up to the player to choose a good balance of what to say as to hopefully serve a balance between nice useful use of the function and too chatty. I remember seeing it introduced in PSP2, and there it is a godsend given how very hard it is to text chat on a PSP. You could put in stuff that was totally in character which kind of gave you a pseudo way to have your character role play for you, without your direct input. It's kind of nice to sort of see your character role played to your design and all you are doing is combat.

Of course, in PSP2, I thought I picked a good selection of situations for auto word for things that don't come up too often in-game so that my character wasn't saying something every five seconds or anything. I basically judged by frequency. Stuff like congratulating someone on a level up, or getting stuck or freed from a trap. A boss is defeated. Rescuing someone from a trap, etc. all the stuff that doesn't happen too often.

Though autoword is a less important function on anything with easy keyboard access and use. The PC, by far, being the machine that needs autoword the least. Still, it'll come way in handy for Vita players. Yeah, it's far easier than the PSP, given the touchscreen; but the Vita's onscreen keyboard still has some typing issues still putting it slightly behind most iOS and Android devices for typing.

paperjake
Jul 2, 2012, 03:42 AM
It just takes some getting used to and after that you'll be using it like a pro.

Boodendorf
Jul 2, 2012, 03:51 AM
Auto words are fucking awesome.

MissMalice
Jul 2, 2012, 04:36 AM
I think they're fine, honestly~ I only have a few set up: When a party member levels, finishing a mission, when I get revived, and one for when I die [just for the lulz]. The only one I have my face card on is for when a party member levels up~ And since I mostly run missions alone, that hardly ever comes up. c:

I really don't think they're that bad. I mean, once you get concentrated on the game, its easy to tune those things out. Half the time when I'm actually in a party, I don't even notice them talking to me~ Then again, I get REALLY absorbed in the game...

Razelis
Jul 2, 2012, 05:21 AM
lol. i probably annoyed millions of people by now ( ' - ' ;
all my auto words are with cut ins XD

Edit- like someone suggested, if there was an option to not show the cut-in 100% of the time (as in sometimes show just text) i'd use that XO

But until then im not giving up on cut ins, sorry XO;

Geistritter
Jul 2, 2012, 05:22 AM
...You could take out the cut-ins, because they are pretty obnoxious, honestly. "Well, I can do it, so you shouldn't complain about it!" is a pretty poor way to look at things overall.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 2, 2012, 06:57 AM
...You could take out the cut-ins, because they are pretty obnoxious, honestly. "Well, I can do it, so you shouldn't complain about it!" is a pretty poor way to look at things overall.

Telling someone to complain just because they can do it can also be a pretty poor way to look at things overall. Please stop being so confrontational, people. It's simple. If you don't like autowords, there is a nice way to tell someone.

You don't have to do it like the guy I dealt with and listen to, "shut the hell up already", then have him take a crack at my character's appearance. All these words like: annoying, stupid, obnoxious, etc.

They're all terrible words to use when trying to get your point across to someone. You can still make your point without making yourself look like a jackass in the process. People do it all the time, why can't you? (not you, specifically, Geistritter. Generally speaking).

Razelis
Jul 2, 2012, 07:15 AM
Tetsuya i share the same opinion as you, but i dont think people would change their attitude towards it. if you like autowords with cut ins, play with auto word with cut ins, people that dont mind will like you, people that do mind, will turn it off in options, and pure haters will black list you.
there are enough people in this game who won't mind it and find it fun! (yes, some of us do! XD) you don't really lose anything XO its a game and its suppose to be about fun ( ' x '

Edit- oh and just a side note - people will complain about EVERYTHING. if you fix your auto words today, they will find something else to whine about tomorrow XO

Sp-24
Jul 2, 2012, 07:17 AM
What kind of words do you need, then? I'm fairly sure people have used all kinds of words here so far, and I somehow doubt any of them is going to stop you from using annoying autowords.

Anyway, autoword is a very useful feature. If for no other reason, then at least because I can immediately know that one of my party members has died or has found an Emergency Code. That's why I'm not going to turn it off in the options. That leaves me with only one other option, which is to black list annoying people. And you know what, maybe I, as well as others, don't want to permanently put somebody on the ignore list. What does that leave us with? Oh yeah, telling you to turn that piece of crap off. But instead of listening to people, you call them "jackasses" and tell them to go complain to Sega of something. Way to go.

As I said before, everything needs a good measure. If somebody tells you that they find your autoword messages annoying, the first thing you should think is "Why do they find them annoying?" and not "What a jackass, ima go make a thread about it!".

Vent
Jul 2, 2012, 07:52 AM
Auto-words in its current state is easily abused indeed, but I find them pretty handy and actually want there to be more triggers. I don't play with many random players anyway, so it being abused does not effect me too much.

The NPC bots seem to have more triggers than the player one; they have a trigger when the player takes heavy damage. A trigger for when mutated mobs appear and one for when rare enemies appear. Also a specific event for defeating a boss. Their auto-word triggers seem to be slightly better timed compared to the players', but maybe that's just lag.

Also a very small thing, I think their 'take damage triggers' work on enemy grabs before they take the damage, at least it works on the Guwanda grab. Maybe that's because that one actually 'hits' during the grab.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 2, 2012, 10:36 AM
What kind of words do you need, then? I'm fairly sure people have used all kinds of words here so far, and I somehow doubt any of them is going to stop you from using annoying autowords.

Anyway, autoword is a very useful feature. If for no other reason, then at least because I can immediately know that one of my party members has died or has found an Emergency Code. That's why I'm not going to turn it off in the options. That leaves me with only one other option, which is to black list annoying people. And you know what, maybe I, as well as others, don't want to permanently put somebody on the ignore list. What does that leave us with? Oh yeah, telling you to turn that piece of crap off. But instead of listening to people, you call them "jackasses" and tell them to go complain to Sega of something. Way to go.

As I said before, everything needs a good measure. If somebody tells you that they find your autoword messages annoying, the first thing you should think is "Why do they find them annoying?" and not "What a jackass, ima go make a thread about it!".

So it's either, "Turn that piece of crap off" or nothing at all? You can't just ask nicely or explain to me in a way that doesn't sound like you're looking down at me? Yeah... I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, guy. When you have a problem with something someone is doing, the last thing you want to do is just be like, "Look, I don't want to ignore you, so just turn that piece of crap off." That doesn't make it any better, really.

As far as the "listening to people" is concerned... the only thing I heard was him complaining. He never said why they were annoying. He just stated that they were and he was getting irritated by the autowords plus seeing my character's face. You can't expect someone to read your mind, then think you have the right to be upset when they don't know what you're thinking or how to solve the situation at-hand without any other details besides, "shut the hell up already."

So yeah, if this dude (or anybody else for that matter) thinks that autowords are soooooooo bad, he needs to complain to everyone he sees that uses them, I'm not going to want deal with that. I mean, come on. Is he playing the game to, you know, play the game or does he want to just bitch, whine, moan, and complain about features other players use that are in the game?

Oh wait, let me guess. If I use a PA he doesn't approve of as well, I should stop using that too, right? Sorry, but the guy was and still is a jackass in my book for the way he behaved, so it's only natural I address him as such. So, if he hates autowords so much, I say he takes his claim to Sega, cause there's not a damn thing I can do about the feature being in the game. Even if I take out the cut-ins, I have a feeling this guy would still complain about the text popping up "too much".

Just because there's text on your screen doesn't mean you need to whine like a baby and act as if someone just pissed in your cereal. It's just text. You'll live, don't worry. As much as I dislike the idle lobby dancers, you sure as hell don't see me wasting my time complaining to them about doing what they do.

No, instead, you think about it from a different standpoint. "Hmmm... ya know what. Maybe I should suggest to Sega to implement an idle kick to have players like this removed from the server after X amount of time." Anyway, I think you missed the point of this thread, seeing as you believe I only created it for his sake.

As I said before, I wanted to know how other people felt in regards to autowords. Him being addressed as a, "jackass" and used as an example as to why it got me thinking about all of this was just a bonus, not the focal point. So, keep that in mind. I want to know more about how individuals feel about this feature; I don't want to know more about how you think I created this just because this guy was acting like a jackass.

I could have just as easily made him out to be much nicer than he really was and got the same results in regards to how people feel about autowords.

Peejay
Jul 2, 2012, 10:48 AM
If everyone is confrontational to you, it should be obvious that you are doing something horribly wrong, offensive, or annoying.

You getting mad because you made other people mad accomplishes nothing, and from the sounds of it, you had pretty high-frequency with cut-ins all the time. I don't think you're from Speed Racer, so that's really not funny at all.

This is what I'm seeing, and apparently what others have seen. I don't even know who the other person is, but I think I'd be more okay with him since if he needs help, I can look at the map to find him. And, if he has the idea he's gonna be a leader, I'll either squash it and go with him.

Your attitude has soured my taste for... well, a lot of the game in a few short pages.

Phaesphora
Jul 2, 2012, 11:03 AM
I use it. Just a handful of triggers though, and only the quest completion one features a cut-in.

It's nice to not have to stop pewpewing to give congratulations.

~Inu~
Jul 2, 2012, 11:06 AM
Out of curiosity, does the autoword for finding a rare work only when you pick up the rare?
I never tried it, and would love if it worked if a red item appeared anywhere on my game just incase I miss the sound effect.
That's one autoword i'd enjoy during a cross burst, heh.

From what I understand it's only when you LOOT the rare.

Kazzi
Jul 2, 2012, 11:08 AM
I like it, but I don't put my characters face or stupid speech bubbles blocking the screen, just a couple of words like "Thank you", "Please help" and "Congratulations". I find people who slap all the effect on top tend to annoy me, especially when they have it set on things like "when you are healed" or "when a code begins/ends". Auto-word cut-ins are a pain in the ass for other people to deal with, you block out part of the screen and that can be extremely irritating when they're obstructing your view of the enemies around.

This exactly.

Peejay
Jul 2, 2012, 11:09 AM
Out of curiosity, does the autoword for finding a rare work only when you pick up the rare?
I never tried it, and would love if it worked if a red item appeared anywhere on my game just incase I miss the sound effect.
That's one autoword i'd enjoy during a cross burst, heh.

From what I understand it's only when you LOOT the rare.

I had it, and it happened as soon as the rare dropped on the screen.

~Inu~
Jul 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
I had it, and it happened as soon as the rare dropped on the screen.

Really? I heard otherwise, now i'll have to test it out.
Thanks for piping my curiosity.

LinkKD
Jul 2, 2012, 11:30 AM
lol. i probably annoyed millions of people by now ( ' - ' ;
all my auto words are with cut ins XD

Edit- like someone suggested, if there was an option to not show the cut-in 100% of the time (as in sometimes show just text) i'd use that XO

But until then im not giving up on cut ins, sorry XO;

did anyone read my post?... ;/ Sigh.

saying it again, THERE IS.

Vashyron
Jul 2, 2012, 11:42 AM
No there isn't. The only two options is to turn off your OWN character's Autowords and the other is to stop them from appearing in your log.

The later while it helps them not clutter up your log, it still doesn't stop obnoxious use of Autowords.

LinkKD
Jul 2, 2012, 11:49 AM
No there isn't. The only two options is to turn off your OWN character's Autowords and the other is to stop them from appearing in your log.

The later while it helps them not clutter up your log, it still doesn't stop obnoxious use of Autowords.

This is true, I was wrong on that part

howerver, what I just said is THERE IS a way to make your autowords not have cut-ins 100% of the time or to not activate 100% of the time

By pressing the little "+" next to the auto-word you can get 3 possible texts for the same trigger

Vanzazikon
Jul 2, 2012, 01:26 PM
Yo' phrases better be worth the cut-in

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 2, 2012, 02:52 PM
If everyone is confrontational to you, it should be obvious that you are doing something horribly wrong, offensive, or annoying.

You getting mad because you made other people mad accomplishes nothing, and from the sounds of it, you had pretty high-frequency with cut-ins all the time. I don't think you're from Speed Racer, so that's really not funny at all.

This is what I'm seeing, and apparently what others have seen. I don't even know who the other person is, but I think I'd be more okay with him since if he needs help, I can look at the map to find him. And, if he has the idea he's gonna be a leader, I'll either squash it and go with him.

Your attitude has soured my taste for... well, a lot of the game in a few short pages.

Everyone isn't confrontational to me. It's just that, I opened this thread thinking that we could have a civilized discussion about autowords after this guy left a bad taste in my mouth concerning them and most of what I've gotten in return is some guys slinging mud at me rather than explaining how they feel about autowords. This is about autowords, not me.

Take me out of the equation here. Generally speaking, how do you feel about them? Also, I seriously doubt I have managed to "sour" your taste for the game with this thread. If that's true, then your respect for the game must have not been all that high to begin with and bear in mind, the only reason I'm getting defensive with you right now is, once again... you're proving to be like some of the others in this thread and are slinging mud at me.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. You can't expect to say stuff like that, thinking I'm to blame for that "sour taste" in your mouth, and not receive a retort in return. I explained a fairly simple situation that occurred in my first post, asked how you guys feel about autowords, and suddenly we have gotten off-topic and it has become more about me rather than the topic at-hand.

So, in the future, let us please try to stay on topic. I really believe we all have a lot to learn from this thread in regards to this particular feature. As for me... like I said in one of my previous posts, I'm probably just going to leave the cut-ins for a handful of events, but mostly important ones (level up, rare, finish quest, that sort of thing). The rest will be kept as text.

Now that I realize how much the cut-ins are actually affecting some people, especially by blocking the screen during a crucial moment, I'll re-think how to approach this. Now, if you have anything you'd like to say to me personally, use the PM system and I'll be more than happy to discuss the matter with you. However, if this continues to spiral into a flame war from people using personal attacks rather than discussing what should be discussed, then I will request for the thread to be locked.

Thank you for your understanding.

thablinksta
Jul 2, 2012, 02:58 PM
Everyone isn't confrontational to me. It's just that, I opened this thread thinking that we could have a civilized discussion about autowords after this guy left a bad taste in my mouth concerning them and most of what I've gotten in return is some guys slinging mud at me rather than explaining how they feel about autowords. This is about autowords, not me.

Take me out of the equation here. Generally speaking, how do you feel about them? Also, I seriously doubt I have managed to "sour" your taste for the game with this thread. If that's true, then your respect for the game must have not been all that high to begin with and bear in mind, the only reason I'm getting defensive with you right now is, once again... you're proving to be like some of the others in this thread and are slinging mud at me.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. You can't expect to say stuff like that, thinking I'm to blame for that "sour taste" in your mouth, and not receive a retort in return. I explained a fairly simple situation that occurred in my first post, asked how you guys feel about autowords, and suddenly we have gotten off-topic and it has become more about me rather than the topic at-hand.

So, in the future, let us please try to stay on topic. I really believe we all have a lot to learn from this thread in regards to this particular feature. As for me... like I said in one of my previous posts, I'm probably just going to leave the cut-ins for a handful of events, but mostly important ones (level up, rare, finish quest, that sort of thing). The rest will be kept as text.

Now that I realize how much the cut-ins are actually affecting some people, especially by blocking the screen during a crucial moment, I'll re-think how to approach this. Now, if you have anything you'd like to say to me personally, use the PM system and I'll be more than glad to discuss the matter with you. However, if this continues to spiral into a flame war from people using personal attacks rather than discussing what should be discussed, then I will request for the thread to be locked.

Thank you for your understanding.

It doesn't really bother me at all. It can be annoying when people have silly comments that don't make sense or are offensive, but other than that, I can ignore them.

Don't worry about that guy who raged at you for your autowords. If he doesn't like it, then he can leave your party.

Crevox
Jul 2, 2012, 03:20 PM
I personally thought it would be annoying if someone used those cutscene faces for autowords, or for ones that happen frequently, so I didn't. I only used autowords for things that I felt need to be said or would help, and even then, I only used a face cut-in for DEATH.

So yes, I personally believe it would be quite annoying if I ran into someone that was using them frequently with autowords.

eharima
Jul 2, 2012, 03:21 PM
You can't just ask nicely or explain to me in a way that doesn't sound like you're looking down at me? .

If I asked you nicely in game to turn them off, you would tell me to stop complaining because its part of the game that you have the right to use.
Like you said in your first post...

I dont care if you have obnoxious cut ins every time you battle, there is so much shit on the screen some times its not like you can see what you're doing.

What every one SHOULD do is copy paste all the same auto words so when a 12p multiparty area is in full swing the chat combines and goes REALLY HUGE

kavex
Jul 2, 2012, 03:40 PM
They spam more then the NPCs!!!! @#$%

darkante
Jul 2, 2012, 04:46 PM
Havenīt seen much to be bothered by it.
My friend thought how to put it up for quest clear.
Now if i knew how to put it up for level up, then iīm set.

Donīt really need more.

ResiDenT
Jul 2, 2012, 04:48 PM
Hate it.. So fucking annoying

Zyrusticae
Jul 2, 2012, 05:12 PM
I echo the other folks who say the cut-ins should only be used for rare and/or noteworthy events (mission start, mission clear, on K.O., on your level-up). I figured out myself that emergency codes are WAY too frequent to have cut-ins on them.

I think it's perfectly okay to have autowords for common events, provided they aren't too obnoxious (i.e. NO CUT-INS). I personally have autowords for normal attack (since I'm a Force, the fact that I'm in melee combat with a rod is actually a noteworthy event) and PA usage, and they don't show up all that often (maybe once every 100 attacks). It adds some nice flavor, I think. As an RPer, the feature is a godsend, since otherwise I am completely unable to remain IC during combat.

Halcyote
Jul 2, 2012, 05:35 PM
i only like autowords for certain events. i used to have it on for everytime i healed and when emergency events happened but i since got rid of them.

i've always hated cut-in chats since psu so my stance hasn't changed on it for pso2. especially now everyone looks like they're tripping over themselves when they start running.

RemChu
Jul 2, 2012, 05:43 PM
They spam more then the NPCs!!!! @#$%

yeah it can get pretty bad. ^^;

LinkKD
Jul 2, 2012, 05:58 PM
What I like about cut-ins is that they show the character's face, which is something actually hard to see normally, considering people are almost always moving + the game's camera that doesn't allow you to fully control it.

and I don't find them anoying...they disappear fast enough to not cause any visual trouble, and then you can actually relate the person's nick to their character's face...whereas normally you identify people you don't know simply through the nick, since you don't get the chance to see the character detailed

I guess cut-ins gives more meaning to the hours spent in character creation (for some) since without them, other players would barely notice how your character is.

MistyWaters
Jul 2, 2012, 06:25 PM
I've only partied with one person who's had autowords. He had one for healing, and I think he found it more annoying than I did, since I spammed Resta a bit, just to set it off.

I'm pretty much indifferent to autowords; I really don't care. Although if someone had constant face shots popping up, I'll probably spam a tech to make their character do it every chance I get, just to annoy them.

Jungo Torii
Jul 2, 2012, 06:37 PM
I haven't had much of a problem with autowords yet. I mostly just play the game and don't mind them...though I suppose if they got out of hand I might get a little annoyed.

So far though, nope.

Darki
Jul 2, 2012, 07:02 PM
I echo the other folks who say the cut-ins should only be used for rare and/or noteworthy events (mission start, mission clear, on K.O., on your level-up). I figured out myself that emergency codes are WAY too frequent to have cut-ins on them.

I think it's perfectly okay to have autowords for common events, provided they aren't too obnoxious (i.e. NO CUT-INS). I personally have autowords for normal attack (since I'm a Force, the fact that I'm in melee combat with a rod is actually a noteworthy event) and PA usage, and they don't show up all that often (maybe once every 100 attacks). It adds some nice flavor, I think. As an RPer, the feature is a godsend, since otherwise I am completely unable to remain IC during combat.

I agree with this. I actually planned on putting all the three autowords for each event to give my character some personality, but I was the first one that noticed that some of them are too much and get spammed a lot. Like, PSE level, emergency codes, damage, etc.

But I think that there's a way to achieve some balance on it. It shouldn't be too annoying to set one of the three autowords with a cut-in, and the rest without, even in common events. I don't think anybody would complain about you putting a face randomly sometimes while most of the events just leave a comment. In any case, the ones that I wouldn't put any cut-in would be emergency code end (because missions usually end with the end of a code, and I don't like two cut-ins popping one after another), damage and attacks, and PS level. For emergency code start I'd set one cut-in and two without, and for failure I don't think it'd be too bad to put all cut-ins, anyways failing codes is not that common, the ones I've failed have only been code avoid.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 2, 2012, 09:27 PM
If I asked you nicely in game to turn them off, you would tell me to stop complaining because its part of the game that you have the right to use.
Like you said in your first post...

I dont care if you have obnoxious cut ins every time you battle, there is so much shit on the screen some times its not like you can see what you're doing.

What every one SHOULD do is copy paste all the same auto words so when a 12p multiparty area is in full swing the chat combines and goes REALLY HUGE

Actually, you'd be surprised how far a little kindness gets you. You see, I'm the type of person that doesn't like being pushed. When someone pushes me, it doesn't make me feel any more inclined to do what they're asking or telling me to do.

There's a difference in telling someone:

"Shut the hell up already"

and

"Would you please stop using so many cut-ins? They're clogging up the map"

If it was the second one, I'd probably just be like, "Oh, sorry" and stop for a moment to take out the cut-in shortcuts in my autowords since that wouldn't even take a minute. However, when you're demanding something, yeah... I'm not really going to give a rat's ass what you're saying with that kind of attitude. What do I look like, a Customer Service representative? Why the hell are you getting mad at me? Lol.

I didn't make the "product". I'm just using it. That's why I said, if you think it's faulty, go talk to the "manufacturer".

Anyway, as I also said before, there's a right way and a wrong way to approach a situation. I don't think it would have been too much to ask for him to just be nice about the whole ordeal rather than fly off the handle the way he did. Fortunately though, I don't see many people running around having roid rage like he had, so I'll just chalk it up to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

catwat
Jul 3, 2012, 03:43 AM
They are f***ing annoying if you put one for every action, and even more annoying if there is some lame text in or or just a wall of text. I have seen some "funny" and creative ones though so im not totally against it. But im sick and tired of AW that are like "mission start" "mission complete" or any 0815 version of that.

Personally i don't use AW because it would just bother me very fast i think.

iwerkout
Jul 3, 2012, 04:08 AM
I'll admit, my character tends to blab a lot during missions, and I can see how some people get agitated by them.

I guess to me, they were cool (at least once) and I tend to drown them out like I do with NPC's, since there's really no difference in my eyes lol.

My char is too sexy to not show off anyway. :jpsmile:

I have noted this annoyance from the public, and will trim down my auto-words for the good of sanity!

Razelis
Jul 3, 2012, 04:26 AM
This is true, I was wrong on that part

howerver, what I just said is THERE IS a way to make your autowords not have cut-ins 100% of the time or to not activate 100% of the time

By pressing the little "+" next to the auto-word you can get 3 possible texts for the same trigger

I'm actually already using all three slots for phrases since i wanted different ones, but seeing it annoying so many of you, i may give up of 2 other phrases and put the same phrase without cut in XD

that way decrease cut in chance to 33%

Alena Zouryx
Jul 3, 2012, 04:34 AM
I personally like the feature, but I do think that a lot of people tend to go overboard with them.

I enjoy the feature because it's nice not having to type "Congratulations!" each time someone levels up, or "Thanks!" when I'm revived. Even moreso, I'm a role-player, so I like that I'm able to give those who use my partner NPC a bit of insight as to who Alena is as a character.

I definitely didn't fill in every auto-word just because they're there; hell, I tried to limit the auto-words to a few specific events. I understand that they can be abused, as with features such as symbol chat. When used responsibly and cleverly, it's a pretty nifty feature.

moorebounce
Jul 3, 2012, 05:44 AM
When autowords and overlays cover my maps when I'm trying to use them thats when I don't like them. It's not as bad as I thought it would get after they posted that guide for them. I rather have voice chat w/ range sensative volume and a ignore feature.