PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Catadrans Hard mode

Windadept
Jul 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
So just for fun, I did the last volcano mission on hard mode today.
What is up with them diving underground so often? They dive almost as often as the italian soccer team!

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 2, 2012, 10:05 PM
they'll nonstop dive if whoever they're targeting is currently out of range. if you stay within their attack range they will constantly attack you and virtually never dive ever.

gigawuts
Jul 2, 2012, 10:05 PM
Were you keeping at range, by any chance? They try to keep up with you.

Firehouse1983
Jul 2, 2012, 10:07 PM
I wonder how long it would take you to kill it, if you just kept running away and shooting it? Besides an outrageously long time, that is.

Crimson Exile
Jul 2, 2012, 10:08 PM
They didn't dive but they sure did die really fast. I'm a hunter so I have to stay close.

gigawuts
Jul 2, 2012, 10:08 PM
As a solo hunter he was wrecking me with those stun twirls and the triple head thrust, such a lame thing to put on a boss. So I got him to what I figured was half dead and shot him down after that, it didn't actually take that long to do.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 2, 2012, 10:17 PM
As a solo hunter he was wrecking me with those stun twirls and the triple head thrust, such a lame thing to put on a boss. So I got him to what I figured was half dead and shot him down after that, it didn't actually take that long to do.

dude, block or dodge. don't blame the game bro.

however, if you're fighting him and you're only level ten, you have no gear gauge/just guard, i'll cut you some slack. the game is actually pretty difficult until you get either of those. also, it depends on the photon art skills you have available to you as well. some photon arts are incredibly useful, others not so much.

PSO Addict
Jul 2, 2012, 10:21 PM
My biggest problem with them is probably that it is too hard to cast Resta on the card from a safe distance on the controller. I find myself trying to run in with a staff and I get stunned. People running out of the shiny cloud is already stressful enough.

Macman
Jul 2, 2012, 10:22 PM
Well that's THEIR problem.
Personally if I'm not popping mates immediately after taking a hit, I'll stand around the force and shoot at the boss hoping the force notices my dwindling HP bar.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 2, 2012, 10:24 PM
My biggest problem with them is probably that it is too hard to cast Resta on the card from a safe distance on the controller. I find myself trying to run in with a staff and I get stunned. People running out of the shiny cloud is already stressful enough.

holy shit can i relate to this.

it takes some good practice to "read" where people are probably going to move so you can range resta them. i can see forces that master this technique to be incredible assets to teams but it's incredibly difficult. you will rarely land a ranged resta with talis if you aim where your target currently is, because 9/10 times he'll already have moved away.

gigawuts
Jul 2, 2012, 10:32 PM
dude, block or dodge. don't blame the game bro.

however, if you're fighting him and you're only level ten, you have no gear gauge/just guard, i'll cut you some slack. the game is actually pretty difficult until you get either of those. also, it depends on the photon art skills you have available to you as well. some photon arts are incredibly useful, others not so much.

Can you block the stun? Because when stunned you can't, you know, do anything. At the time my only gear was wirelance, so yeah. No guard skills at all either. I'm saving my last 3 SP to see what they do to the trees when the game launches.

PSO Addict
Jul 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
You can shake your way out of the stun. It's just rotate the control stick and I believe just spam the movement buttons for the keyboard. I also believe there is a fair bit of latency that is hard to notice in the game that might add to the difficulty of resta.

gigawuts
Jul 2, 2012, 10:37 PM
Oh wow, you know after finding out about that working when frozen after 3 years of playing PSO you'd think I'd have tried it here.

Phantasma

Well, what else should he do while angry? Fly up in the air and shoot a well aimed fireball that deals massive damage?

Easy strat: Just stay in his face. When he cocks back to thrust his head, dodge to the side. He will be aiming at where you were before you dashed so he will miss, no matter how many times he thrusts. Attack, then get back in his face when he retracts. Repeat. From what I've observed, Cater always spins to the left to stun you and moves backwards quite a bit so either block to the left or back up before he starts rotating.

If you play in a party and people start getting hit by the stun spin while you're in range for it, there will be hit stop for everyone that gets hit until he gets to you. Use that time wisely! XD

aduran
solo as ranger lock on tail->weak shot->tail->run in circles ...it doesnt take too long to die. it is actually really easy but also depends on build and equipment. at range, bosses are all easy.

and with hunters even easier with weak shot it dies even faster

Kanore

maybe if you're having problem with the boss you should take advantage of the 'MM' part of the 'MMORPG'

gigawuts
Jul 2, 2012, 10:41 PM
maybe if you're having problem with the boss you should take advantage of the 'MM' part of the 'MMORPG'

Maybe I normally do, and none of the people I ordinarily play with were on at the time so instead of giving up I just used a gun and got it done the third time I tried.

Maybe you shouldn't tell people what they should and shouldn't do with a snarky attitude, especially when you don't know what they have and haven't tried.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 2, 2012, 10:55 PM
Can you block the stun? Because when stunned you can't, you know, do anything. At the time my only gear was wirelance, so yeah. No guard skills at all either. I'm saving my last 3 SP to see what they do to the trees when the game launches.

you can block the stun attack when he spins. his tell is pretty obvious too. just to be safe, whenever he uses a long straight stretch attack, you should hold guard for a little bit just in case he does. and it doesn't have to be a just guard, you can regular guard it. granted, some attacks i'm lead to believe REQUIRE just guard to be blocked (dragon fireball, not his spirit bomb attack butt he regular one, as well as rockbear grab)

and yeah like it's already been said, when you're stunned you can shake out. i'm not sure if w or s does anything, but i notice my character shaking quickly left and right when i machine gun tap a and d rapidly, and my character breaks out of stun quite quickly.

i've actually found wired lance to be decent at soloing accordian dragon. particularly it's grab>kick attack is good. you just constantly run to it's sides after it whiffs, and use a just grab>kick photon art to attack his soft exposed underbelly.

like i said man until the game gets REALLY broken (read: boss attacks that last for longer than 2 seconds and are undodgeable/guardable) don't blame the game, just take a breather, get up and stretch, and try again.

gigawuts
Jul 3, 2012, 01:35 AM
Ha ha ha, all of that can be blocked? Here I was thinking block was just some slight damage reduction against ordinary attacks, but wow that's quite useful. I'll really need to get in the habit of blocking.

Thanks for the tips man.

catwat
Jul 3, 2012, 03:55 AM
Get a poisoning weapon, put on your trollface, run in circles and enjoy those ticks. 8D

If you get stunned just use some recovery items and if you cant take it try to avoid better or get some HP boosting items. (or level up more)

GoldenFalcon
Jul 3, 2012, 05:09 AM
solo as ranger lock on tail->weak shot->tail->run in circles ...it doesnt take too long to die. it is actually really easy but also depends on build and equipment. at range, bosses are all easy.

and with hunters even easier with weak shot it dies even faster

This
One Point absolutely tears his tail apart. When it breaks, apply another weakpoint shot and it's just gravy

hamsterlover001
Jul 3, 2012, 06:09 AM
Ok, so each job works best for each boss (from what i have seen/experienced)

Rock Bears: rangers can do alot because rock bears don't move much.

Catadran: hunters can kill catadran with ease possibly not even getting hit, just stay in between his tail and his head.... its really hard for him to hit you... only the stun move hits that area.. so be ready to jump :D

Vol Dragon: seems like he has an answer for every job... you can use the rare drop farming method to safely kill the dragon, you can also have the dragon targeting a hunter... this way a ranger or a force can just hit it from a distance and help out with the monsters that spawn(in some cases).

desert (free) boss: pretty much tekkers go all out with AOE(area of effect) PAs because they hit all the tentecles aroud the boss before boss can even attack(sometimes), and when it comes to the boss attacking he is easily avoidable and predictable :D

GoldenFalcon
Jul 3, 2012, 06:21 AM
desert (free) boss: pretty much tekkers go all out with AOE(area of effect) PAs because they hit all the tentecles aroud the boss before boss can even attack(sometimes), and when it comes to the boss attacking he is easily avoidable and predictable :D

Cluster Bomb for Launcher works extremely well
Except everyone spams Divine Launcher as if the other PA's don't exist

hamsterlover001
Jul 3, 2012, 06:27 AM
Cluster Bomb for Launcher works extremely well
Except everyone spams Divine Launcher as if the other PA's don't exist

true but it is pretty divine XD