PDA

View Full Version : hunter - setting photon arts to keys 1-6

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
alright guys, i know some people dig the combo system but i personally found it to be more hindering/annoying than helpful. i was always jellis of forces and how they could just hit keys 1-0 to cast any spell they want using the item sub palette. i don't know why they didn't just let hunters put photon arts to that as well, but eh whatever i found a workaround for it.

so what i used to do is just set one weapon slot to have all 3 boxes of the same photon art, so i could use it no matter what "attack sequence step" i was on. since i only use sword, i set all my weapons slots to the same sword except the last slot (gunslash), and made every slot only have one photon art. if i wanted to use a different photon art, i'd "switch weapons" using the r+f keys to those slots.

but i was messing around more in keyboard setup options and there's an option to set keys 1-0 as weapon switch, and keys f1-f10 as item usage. i never used the original settings f1-f10 provided like quick mag/weapon etc. menus so i had no problems with setting f1-f10 as item usage.

so now, my keys 1-6 are weapon switches. as an example this is how mine is set up

1:sword - stun concide/stun concide/stun concide
2:sword - twister fall/twister fall/twister fall or cruel throw (usually its cruel throw)
3:sword - rising edge/risinge edge/rising edge
4:sword - sonic arrow/sonic arrow/sonic arrow
5:sword - nova strike/nova strike/nova strike
6:gunslash - rage dance/rage dance/rage dance (for escaping those stupid traps)

my efficiency in combat is much higher. i used to have to hit a button more than a few times to switch skills. the minimum button hits are two, if i want to switch from sonic arrow to rising edge, since first you have to hit r or f to bring up the weapon switch menu, and then hit it again to go up or down.

however now, i just have to hit 3 or 4 and the photon art instantly changes with no extra button presses. i previously never used stun concide because it was a pain to switch to, but now i find i use it very frequently against annoying mobs like that one darker that when knocked down, has an AOE get-up attack. if you use stun concide on it, it resets it's "get-up" timer and stays on the ground. i noticed stun concide pretty much cancels all mob attacks, even ones with super armor (rolly polly's roll attack). of course, it sucks for bosses but it's great for annoying mobs.

i'll put up screen shots of how to navigate to the menu in options to change your keybinds like this later once the game comes back up.
-----
opening options
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i45.tinypic.com/2gwxbaf.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

adjusting settings for weapons set to 1-6
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i48.tinypic.com/2hg70bq.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

final steps to save settings
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i48.tinypic.com/9kp0sl.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Scarlet_Rain
Jul 2, 2012, 10:58 PM
sounds quite useful ^^

Sigmund
Jul 2, 2012, 11:20 PM
Interesting... I'll try this out. I haven't had too much problems with the current system though, I have 2 weapon pallets dedicated to Sword. One for uncharged gear and one for charged gear.
I guess sometimes I could be more effective by spamming Sonic Arrows instead of doing normal attacks into Sonic Arrows.

On Stun Coincide, I've always liked that skill. Another mob I like to use it on are those mobile turret robots in the desert, stops them from using their charged shot or just moving around.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 2, 2012, 11:27 PM
yeah i have it the same way.

uncharged gear/charged gear is sonic arrow, number 4. charged gear is rising edge or nova ( i don't use nova often though because it's risky)

i forgot about using stun concide on those stupid turrets i'm going to stun the shit out of those little gremlins now rofl

i just like having the same photon art for all 3 "steps" because i find it annoying to have to constantly attack to get to the photon art you want. sometimes it messes me up and i miss an opportunity for one attack i needed 2 seconds ago, but had to do two attacks to get to so as a result i am 2 seconds late.

clickypen
Jul 3, 2012, 02:45 AM
I was under the impression you needed 6 different swords to do this.
If not, this is a great tip.

IndigoNovember
Jul 3, 2012, 03:09 AM
I was under the impression you needed 6 different swords to do this.
If not, this is a great tip.

Nope, you can have multiple photon art palettes on the same weapon.

Geistritter
Jul 3, 2012, 10:46 PM
...You can jump out of the traps, you know.

ZkDash
Jul 3, 2012, 11:04 PM
Here is a sample of what is possible with this 'technique':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_fIoABC9KQ

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 4, 2012, 01:21 AM
alright i got the pics up for anybody that wanted to try setting their weapon change keys to 1-6

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 5, 2012, 04:02 AM
Question:

Are you using Keyboard & Mouse to play? If so, what's the advantage over Gamepad? or vice versa.

I'm using Gamepad right now, and it'd be kinda bothersome to have to reach out to my keyboard to press the number keys mid-combo...

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 5, 2012, 10:23 AM
lol this is definitely for keyboard only. i've always used keyboard + mouse

NekoXiu
Jul 8, 2012, 01:35 AM
Thanks! This work wonders! Sadly I only have 3 slots for now though.