PDA

View Full Version : Mapping gamepad keys to a keyboard?

Spellbinder
Jul 2, 2012, 11:48 PM
Hello there everyone.

While I've been able to make due with keyboard controls, there is one small thing (I feel its big) that the current keyboard settings available won't let me do, and I think mapping gamepad controls onto the keyboard may be the solution I'm looking for. However, I have a feeling this may require the programs which must not be named (3rd party), so if this turns out to be a no-no I apologize.

I've heard of it being done before for the sake of other games, but I'm not familiar with the process. But essentially what I want to do is be able to rotate the camera using my keyboard. If you look at the in-game settings, you'll see under the gamepad options you can set camera rotation but you cannot under the keyboard options, thus my delimma. As for why I'd like to do such a crazy thing, it's because I'm a fairly strange player, in that I never use my mouse (unless its a point-click game like D3), and I've never in my 9 to 12 years of playing online games used W,A,S,D to move a character (blasphemy I know).

So, ya. If anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this without getting in trouble, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

arusiasotto
Jul 3, 2012, 12:27 AM
... the game by default supports gamepads. Go spend $12 and get a 360 controller.

Spellbinder
Jul 3, 2012, 12:39 AM
... the game by default supports gamepads. Go spend $12 and get a 360 controller.

I don't want to use a controller, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting.

moorebounce
Jul 3, 2012, 01:01 AM
You know the title of your post has nothing to do with what you just asked. To most people a gamepad and controller are the same thing myself included. You must have just started being weird because you would have found a way to re-map you keyboard keys before now. You might want to google if you can re-map your keyboard.

Spellbinder
Jul 3, 2012, 01:05 AM
You know the title of your post has nothing to do with what you just asked. To most people a gamepad and controller are the same thing myself included. You must have just started being weird because you would have found a way to re-map you keyboard keys before now. You might want to google if you can re-map your keyboard.

*looks at title... facepalm*... Sorry.. I'll fix that now.

Edit:

I've never encountered a game where I needed to re-map my keyboard to function like a game controller before, so I don't know what works and what doesn't. If anyone has a recommendation, however, I'd be grateful to hear it.

Spellbinder
Jul 3, 2012, 05:58 AM
It may still be unclear what I'm aiming for, so just to try and reiterate, I essentially want the game to think my keyboard is a controller, allowing me to use gamepad settings with my keyboard. I've asked my friends already and the don't think it's possible. I'm hoping they're wrong. :(

jooozek
Jul 3, 2012, 06:02 AM
http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=vjoy
I don't know if this is exactly what are you looking for but yeah.

moorebounce
Jul 3, 2012, 06:21 AM
It may still be unclear what I'm aiming for, so just to try and reiterate, I essentially want the game to think my keyboard is a controller, allowing me to use gamepad settings with my keyboard. I've asked my friends already and the don't think it's possible. I'm hoping they're wrong. :(

Here you go this may be what you're looking for. If not you may want to wait until you can explain what you want in better detail. Looking at the keyboard setup you can actually play w/o using a mouse.

http://pso2blog.wordpress.com/keyboard-controls/

Spellbinder
Jul 3, 2012, 06:38 AM
http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=vjoy
I don't know if this is exactly what are you looking for but yeah.

Thanks for the link. When the game's up and running I'll give it a go.

Here you go this may be what you're looking for. If not you may want to wait until you can explain what you want in better detail. Looking at the keyboard setup you can actually play w/o using a mouse.

http://pso2blog.wordpress.com/keyboard-controls/

I'm fairly familiar with the game's current control setup, and I've attempted to modify it the best I can to settings I'm accustomed to. But in order to turn the camera I'd have to use the mouse, and my right hand is for movement, so you can see how problematic that'd be if I need to adjust the camera while moving.

moorebounce
Jul 3, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm fairly familiar with the game's current control setup, and I've attempted to modify it the best I can to settings I'm accustomed to. But in order to turn the camera I'd have to use the mouse, and my right hand is for movement, so you can see how problematic that'd be if I need to adjust the camera while moving.

Now I know what you're talking about. Theres no way you can replace the mouse for camera movement with a keyboard. Thats what it's main function is. In PSO you could play it w/o using a mouse because the camera was automatic to some degree and all you had to do was hit the camera reset button when it got too out of whack.

Spellbinder
Jul 3, 2012, 01:41 PM
Now I know what you're talking about. Theres no way you can replace the mouse for camera movement with a keyboard. Thats what it's main function is. In PSO you could play it w/o using a mouse because the camera was automatic to some degree and all you had to do was hit the camera reset button when it got too out of whack.

That's why I'm looking for a way to emulate a controller with my keyboard. I'm hoping jooozek's suggestion does the trick. :)

Lostbob117
Jul 3, 2012, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah also get a wired xbox controller, or wired ps3 controller.

Spellbinder
Jul 3, 2012, 01:42 PM
Oh yeah also get a wired xbox controller, or wired ps3 controller.

As I mentioned earlier when replying to arusiasotto, I have no interest in using a game controller, hence my creating this topic.

moorebounce
Jul 3, 2012, 01:46 PM
That's why I'm looking for a way to emulate a controller with my keyboard. I'm hoping jooozek's suggestion does the trick. :)

What you're asking can't be done with the keyboard. Once I figured out what you were asking for I knew it couldn't be done.

jooozek
Jul 3, 2012, 01:48 PM
What you're asking can't be done with the keyboard. Once I figured out what you were asking for I knew it couldn't be done.

What did I link to then?

Menochi
Jul 3, 2012, 02:25 PM
It certainly can be done, and there are even ramping options in the game client to control speed at which the camera can turn. I didn't look closely at the keybinds though, and I assume you've already checked there.