PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try this on Linux yet?

acier
Jul 3, 2012, 10:14 AM
I've been enjoying the Open Beta and it just so happened that it was released at a time that coincided with me having to use Windows. Now that the beta has ended, I'd prefer staying on Linux so I fired up WINE, copied over my install files and everything went fine. Then I when it started downloading the patch, I got an error message with a bunch of boxes (which I'm guessing isn't supposed to be rororo...) Error 434 and the letters PC. This is the only thing that isn't showing me the Japanese so I can't read what it says.

I've read that Error 434 has something to do with Firewall settings so, if that's the case, which port do I need open or is it detecting WINE and blocking it so they don't have to worry about support issues? Has anyone gotten this to work -- appdb only has information about the character creation and benchmark tools working. Should I just bite the bullet and play on Windows?

Ordy
Jul 3, 2012, 10:24 AM
PSO games use GameGuard, which isn't supported on Linux distributions.

Sure, I played lots of GameGuard games on Linux ... after removing GameGuard and playing on a private server ...

As far as GameGuard isn't supported on Wine (low chance) or released as a Native Linux tool (probably never), you won't have the chance to play PSO2 on the official servers.

Played lots of GameGuard games, none worked on Linux.

acier
Jul 3, 2012, 10:32 AM
That's basically what I was expecting. I guess rebooting isn't such a horrible thing...

Finalzone
Jul 3, 2012, 11:28 AM
The reason Wine will not support Gameguard is due to the latter using drivers to directly access to hardware thus against security policies.

Clessy
Jul 3, 2012, 11:39 AM
In the alpha versions you could remove gameguard completely and it would load on linux. Theres some videos on youtube of this. In fact I believe every version up until open beta worked with gameguard disabled.

Sirius-91
Jul 3, 2012, 12:12 PM
Your best chance is to use a virtual machine with windows on it, as wine does fail to launch PSO2.

moeri
Jul 3, 2012, 12:23 PM
In the alpha versions you could remove gameguard completely and it would load on linux. Theres some videos on youtube of this. In fact I believe every version up until open beta worked with gameguard disabled.

This is the way all games with gameguard have been played in wine up until this point...

Though I am pretty sure such discussion is prohibited on this site