PDA

View Full Version : Hunters - Which side of the tree did you pick?

Kanore
Jul 4, 2012, 11:48 PM
The left side with Just Attack/Fury Stance or the right side with SAtk/Guard Stance?

I feel like a lot of people I talk to have Fury Stance, but I went for the right side because I wanted the permanent boost to SAtk instead of something that lowered my SDef. I don't think I've suffered; the speed boost granted to charging sword PA's helps me do a lot of heavy damage, especially to bosses. Guard Stance has helped with some bosses, and though I don't use it for any level of Rockbears or Gwanada (or whatever the desert boss's name is), it still comes in handy for the annoyingly speedy dragon family. I also got one level of War Cry, which I'm pretty sure my clone uses more than me.

I also got the two side trees for Just Reversal and Just Counter; they've been used a few times but not too much. Dunno if they were such great ideas.

I'm asking because I kinda like Partisans and feel like I made the wrong choice by picking the tree with Sword Gear instead of Partisan Gear, but I heard that the Partisan Gear really only increases range, and based on my experience with Sword Gear, the charge boost may be more worthwhile from a utility sense.

And that's my story

MissMalice
Jul 5, 2012, 12:07 AM
To da left, to da left! Every point I gained in the tree to the left!

-I couldn't resist-

gigawuts
Jul 5, 2012, 12:13 AM
Why pick just one?

just2good
Jul 5, 2012, 12:28 AM
I chose both.

My completed build: Berserker Build (http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/hunter.html?01HU!IOI22OIoqnGDfGDIbf)

1 free point to place in either JA2(Fury Crit), HP2(S-ATK2), or Gear depending on preference.

I'm going through S-Atk2 route, got enough crit from ability mag so I crit pretty often.

marvelous stan
Jul 5, 2012, 02:36 AM
I went rightside since I found myself using swords a lot for bosses. However I've been thinking about doing fury and going gunblade/partisan or something stupid like that.

I tend to be unsatisfied and switch builds a lot in anything I play though.

LinkKD
Jul 5, 2012, 09:57 AM
Why pick just one?

That /\

I've always been a hybrid builder (which is a reflection to my difficulty on making choices =w=)

got all 3 gears, just guard and just reversal (and all their pre-requisites). and I still have some points to use.

sword gear is undoubtly amazing, using sword with and w/o it are completely different things.

wired lance gear seems to be pretty good, you need to keep constant normal attacks going to charge it, but it enhances your overall wired lance dps by a lot

partisan gear seems to be only for range indeed...which is not THAT useful, but...it charges pretty easy, and it's just one point for that, since it's on the way of the wired lance one...so ynot.

just guard is amazing tbh...at first reading the description I thought it was...meh. "greatly reduces damage by blocking right before an attack". me: ok...so I have the risk to get hit and need to have good reflexes just do reduce damage more?...

but then I realized that...doing a just guard actually NULLIFIES all damage, not only that...it also returns some damage back to the attacker just from blocking it...it's already a counter on itself (simply the just guard, ignoring the just counter) and not only that, it also leaves you with 0 delay after blocking, unlike the normal block that makes you flinch a bit on the slight knockback while blocking before you can actually move. so you can do a just guard and cancel it on a dash or an attack and lose no time at all blocking.

summing it up, I <3 just guard c: .

the dash attack is a must for any hunter...it gives you so much mobility and makes you so much faster, being able to avoid that obnoxious after-dash delay you have without it. Really, Idk how someone could play without it. and since just reversal is just one point away...why not? c: being able to avoid losing time being lying on the floor is always good.

about the rest of the points...I might boost the fury stance a bit, or just get passives passives passives...or a bit of both.

not sure if I get just counter...it says it makes an attack right after a just guard into a just attack...but most of the times I do a just guard I follow it up with a dash...so I wonder how useful it would be.

anyone that has points on just counter would know how well it works?

Slidikins
Jul 5, 2012, 10:03 AM
I never liked Swords, so I went with the Fury Stance. Also, Wired Lances are really fun and they piss off my Force companions. At first the DEF drop is really really noticeable (Rockbear grabbed you? Bye bye.) but later on you're so used to it you're barely getting hit anymore.

Of course, I invested some points into the extreme right. Just Guard and Dash Attack are too good to pass up.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 5, 2012, 10:31 AM
getting all 3 gears is a waste of time and inefficient, but if that's what's gonna let you have the most fun then great.

although i'm an avid sword user because sword gear is incredibly powerful, there are some situations where partisan outshines sword. particularly for weakspots. on the new big mammoth i just trick rave onto his back and slash away at his weakspot. it would take a fully charged rising edge to get the same air and get ontop of his back. but nop

just one trick rave derp. broken skill.

but yeah, stun concide is hilarious. it even stuns the big shield guys. only mobs it doesn't stun are boss mobs and the little mammoths.

technically i should be focusing the rest of my points on base attack if i wanted max dps, but that doesn't seem as fun to me as maxing dodge. i have lvl 5 fury stance and lvl 3 guard stance because of sword gear. my remaining 15 points are gonna go to maxing dodge and perhaps getting partisan gear/maxing fury stance.

but like i keep saying, the second the trees get more skills, like that normal attack PP charge bonus, all of my points lol

all of my points.

gigawuts
Jul 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
I went straight for the wired lance gear, and when I got it I thought it was great. Then I went for the sword gear. Yeah, uh, that is a great gear. Wired lance seemed a bit disappointing after that.

The sword is versatile, useful, and packs such a punch. Even without the charge bonus, hitting everything three times with sonic arrow is just beastly. I use it at range, point blank, and everywhere in between. The Partisan gear is also good, for when you're underleveled or unfamiliar with an enemy. As a solo 20 or so hunter in the hard city I'd go with my partisan and use the mobility to just evade everything. That's what made me decide to grab the partisan gear, and the bonus range is quite nice.

That said, I like the options. It's not minmaxed to the extreme, but I don't particularly care about that like I used to. I like being able to do all the different things, experiment, see what I find fun and don't find fun. This is why I've had probably 8 or 9 level 100+ characters in PSO, instead of 1 or 2 level 200 characters. Diversity is more fun for me in the long term. I won't pay for a reset so I'll just have to live with the wired lance gear and its prereqs - so it's likely I'll max out fury stance sooner than later.

I hit 31 and grabbed Just Guard and man, I didn't realize it completely blocks damage or that it hurts the enemy until I used it. I see other people had the same issue. This is probably why people are telling me to just block stun attacks. It seems every new skill I get in the hunter tree is fantastic and completely worth the investment (barring wired lance gear, which still has its applications).

After this I plan on filling in S-ATK Up 1 and grabbing Just Counter, leaving me with 6 SP left. I'll dump that into Fury Stance and start using it more, which leaves me with 1 SP left. I like to keep 1-3 SP unspent - there's basically nothing I can put it in to get a big gain, but holding onto it lets me invest it as soon as they update the tree. New gears, just an update to keep it interesting, etc. I eagerly await knuckle gear.

Sonido
Jul 5, 2012, 02:17 PM
Quick question, as I was looking at the Skill Tree Simulator, I noticed on the top there is a tab you can select which has quest points in it numbered 1-5 scrolling downwards. I'm assuming there are quests which give you extra SP when you complete them. If so, which ones are they?

IndigoNovember
Jul 5, 2012, 06:11 PM
Quick question, as I was looking at the Skill Tree Simulator, I noticed on the top there is a tab you can select which has quest points in it numbered 1-5 scrolling downwards. I'm assuming there are quests which give you extra SP when you complete them. If so, which ones are they?

Ohza has the quest. You need to do something like kill 5 Dark Ragne's and 7 Rappy's (not Nab Rappy's, but the ones with the big heads that sing) with a Partizan. I could be wrong, I haven't actually gotten the quest yet.

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 07:21 PM
My skill tree at the moment is as such. I don't want Just Reversal, ever.

JA Bonus is cash.

It came out wrong, basically JA bonuses, Fury Stance, Wired Lance Gear and no Just Reversal.

IndigoNovember
Jul 5, 2012, 08:04 PM
My skill tree at the moment is as such. I don't want Just Reversal, ever.

JA Bonus is cash.

It came out wrong, basically JA bonuses, Fury Stance, Wired Lance Gear and no Just Reversal.

You do know Just Attack Bonus is only for Normal Attacks and not Photon Arts, right?

RSmiroldo
Jul 5, 2012, 08:07 PM
For the wired lance I feel like Just Attack is worthwhile, you hit the enemy so many times it adds up quick.

LinkKD
Jul 5, 2012, 08:57 PM
getting all 3 gears is a waste of time and inefficient, but if that's what's gonna let you have the most fun then great.

although i'm an avid sword user because sword gear is incredibly powerful, there are some situations where partisan outshines sword. particularly for weakspots. on the new big mammoth i just trick rave onto his back and slash away at his weakspot. it would take a fully charged rising edge to get the same air and get ontop of his back. but nop

just one trick rave derp. broken skill.

but yeah, stun concide is hilarious. it even stuns the big shield guys. only mobs it doesn't stun are boss mobs and the little mammoths.

technically i should be focusing the rest of my points on base attack if i wanted max dps, but that doesn't seem as fun to me as maxing dodge. i have lvl 5 fury stance and lvl 3 guard stance because of sword gear. my remaining 15 points are gonna go to maxing dodge and perhaps getting partisan gear/maxing fury stance.

but like i keep saying, the second the trees get more skills, like that normal attack PP charge bonus, all of my points lol

all of my points.

getting the 3 gears isn't a waste of time! (or points)

it gives me versatility, I can use w/e weapon I want to always have an edge at different situations c: .

multi-weapon desu

Vashyron
Jul 5, 2012, 09:52 PM
You do know Just Attack Bonus is only for Normal Attacks and not Photon Arts, right?

Is this a tested thing or is this going off the description that says it does not boost Techniques?

If the later I'm pretty sure Techniques do not equal Photon Arts and this is mere future proof description. (The whole planned Sub Class deal.)

IndigoNovember
Jul 6, 2012, 12:28 AM
Is this a tested thing or is this going off the description that says it does not boost Techniques?

If the later I'm pretty sure Techniques do not equal Photon Arts and this is mere future proof description. (The whole planned Sub Class deal.)

I'm not sure, but I get the feeling the assumption is based off of the description. Now that you mention it though, you have a valid point, about it being future proofing things.

Sigmund
Jul 6, 2012, 12:37 AM
Anyone that has spare points and that are going to rank JA Bonus can easily test this. Go into a mission, hit a mob with the PA of your choice while timing a Just Attack (a high damage single hit PA would make it easier), wait until you get a critical hit (green number), note down the number. Now go back out and rank JA Bonus up, go back to the same mission and find the same mob, basically repeat everything until you get that critical hit - see if the green number changed. If it did, it means that JA Bonus does affect Just PAs.