PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate PSO2 so far?

Yata The Prophet
Jul 5, 2012, 03:20 PM
Overall? Please give a score of 1 to 11 (take the darned poll).
Impressions with less than 3 sentences would also be great.

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 03:22 PM
I say 8/11, there are some things that require some fleshing out. However we're not even a week into full release, so I believe most of my concerns will be addressed. Aside from Gacha shit of course.

thablinksta
Jul 5, 2012, 03:24 PM
ten. super fun action mmo with elements from the classic that we all know and love, smooth gameplay, good graphics, good customization (but not overwhelming), epic bosses and random events to avoid repetitiveness

recursive
Jul 5, 2012, 03:26 PM
Nine. Overall fun, feel of the game is a lot like PSO1, but right now the game seems to be lacking in difficulty/strategy. The progression also takes way too long - PSO1 had you fighting Dragon at the end of your first run, whereas PSO2 has you doing several fetch quests before getting to fight Rockbear.

Xeno88
Jul 5, 2012, 03:27 PM
8. Not enough missions to me, and at a certain level it becomes a grind of the same mission or two over and over again

SpectraLight
Jul 5, 2012, 03:36 PM
Is 1 the highest rating or is 10 (11)? Either way, I voted 1 because this game is number 1 in fun!

Seriously though, I'm having tons of fun in this game, save for the fact that the drill mission in desert is frustrating as all get out.

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 03:37 PM
9. Core gameplay makes up for a LOT. Would be higher if they didn't have such annoying level prerequisites and a LOT more outfits. But being a godly Force, being able to jump and dodge, and the emergency codes... it's all a good ol' grand time for me.

Tracey
Jul 5, 2012, 03:38 PM
wow i clicked the thread and I see majority ONE is the highest. i'm guessing with all the CC issues maybe. and lag issues as well.

Mag-X
Jul 5, 2012, 03:45 PM
Five because I feel like I'm only getting half the game unless I spend an unreasonable amount of money in the cash shop.

Also, too much grinding. I'm only level 21, but it already feels like I'm trying to grind past 90 in PSO1.

Zero_Virus_X
Jul 5, 2012, 03:49 PM
8/10 The gameplay is pretty good and fun, thanks to koffee's new grind quest you have something to occupy you during the 20s. But not being able to trade freely and the bad handling of server with multiparty areas make the multiplayer experience a bummer sometimes.Matter board drop rates need adjustment IMO but no biggy.

God of Awesome
Jul 5, 2012, 03:53 PM
I gave it a 6/11. but my scoring system is based on actual progression so a 6 is above average. There's a few balance issues, need more variety(in a lot of areas), needs to have the constant repeating for dead enemies lessened and 1 or 2 of the pay wall features needs to be given to the free users(just a few I know they need to make money).

darkante
Jul 5, 2012, 04:26 PM
9/10. I like the gameplay mechanic alot particulary with Hunter, but i hope they either nerf the launcher or buff the basic attack of the Assault rifle.

Itīs like launcher or GTFO now.

TRICKST3R
Jul 5, 2012, 04:38 PM
9/10. I like the gameplay mechanic alot particulary with Hunter, but i hope they either nerf the launcher or buff the basic attack of the Assault rifle.

Itīs like launcher or GTFO now.

This. I tried out Ranger, and was pretty bummed that Assault Rifles were so weak.

That aside, the game itself has been immensely enjoyable for me thus far. I'd have to give it an 11/11 on the scale; I'm having too much fun to think otherwise.

Polly
Jul 5, 2012, 04:44 PM
6/10 at the moment.

The combat is fun and I feel that right now they've got a good balance with the classes, but I'm really disliking the mission-based setup, how completion of missions can go completely sour, and the way they're tied to progression to new areas can be VERY frustrating.

The roadmap didn't really instill a lot of faith in me in the direction of the game. The addition of new classes really just bugs me because I feel they've got a good balance going right now. I've a feeling the new classes will be hybrids of the current classes instead of anything new and unique, and suddenly having a unique job in a party isn't really that big of a deal.

If the Tundra's release is any indication of how they'll be implementing new content, I'm also no big fan of that either. It's a linear progression that can easily lead to one of the biggest issues I had with PSU, which is creating hotspots that makes playing any of the previous areas worthless.

I want to like the game more, but I'm unfortunately finding it more frustrating than fun at the moment.

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 04:48 PM
So 11 people voted 8/11, but only three of them posted.

Meanwhile, 6 people voted 5/11 or 6/11 in total, yet four of them post.

OH, INTERNETZ. :wacko:

AnnabellaRenee87
Jul 5, 2012, 04:51 PM
I can't give it more than an 8, way too easy, to much find and fetch missions.
Other than that, Great game play, good visuals, amazing sound/music. Controls are tight and responsive and the community is great.

I just wish multi-team runs where more organized.

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 04:55 PM
So 11 people voted 8/11, but only three of them posted.

Meanwhile, 6 people voted 5/11 or 6/11 in total, yet four of them post.

OH, INTERNETZ. :wacko:

I'm not sure what you mean by this post, elaborate?

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by this post, elaborate?
I mean it is representative of the nature of much of the internet: people generally won't post if they are satisfied with something, but will post if they have something to complain about.

Hence, 3/11 satisfied people posting, but 2/3 unsatisfied people posting is entirely within the norms of the internet. The horrible, depressing, soul-crushing norms of the internet, for that matter.

Rei-San
Jul 5, 2012, 05:07 PM
I rate is an 8. This game is great, an it's everything that every phantasy star game should be, But it is missing alot, even for a finished product. I'm happy that they are adding a lot overtime via DLC, but there are still not some stuff in hear that I'm wanting (yet).

Still waiting for PVP

Still wanting all the races back (Beasts and Dumans)

There could be higher lvl caps and higher Difficulties, which are comming.

There could be more weaopns

and most importantly, the impact that rare items had in PSO1 are NOT YET present. Like uniqe weapons attack or PAs, or S rank weapons from time attack. I dont want rares to be just reskins of the class. I want them to be different. :( not just aesthetics.

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 05:09 PM
Isn't it merely polite to speak on your likes and dislikes of the game in a topic such as this, though? Especially considering the OP mentioned keeping your impressions to a 3 sentence minimum, which leads me to believe that he would like people to actually share their thoughts instead of leaving a number and leaving. It's good feedback, and can be quite eye opening to a number of flaws that a game has that can be improved upon.

It sounds like you're just trying to find things to get mad about. If you hate the internet that much you should probably stop using it. It is a message board after all, and you can never control what others do or say. -shrug-

That said, it goes deeper than the internet anyway, humans by nature will speak up more on things they dont like than what they do like... I doubt you would have made that post if everyone who left lower ratings hadn't said a thing and the people who gave it high ratings were singing praises.

However, I don't know you, so if my assessment is wrong, that's a good thing. I just call it like I see it. I would rather be dreadfully wrong in a case such as this.

Zarod89
Jul 5, 2012, 05:11 PM
5/10 Because just half the game has been released yet. (fall update is huge)

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 05:12 PM
[spoiler-box]Isn't it merely polite to speak on your likes and dislikes of the game in a topic such as this, though? Especially considering the OP mentioned keeping your impressions to a 3 sentence minimum, which leads me to believe that he would like people to actually share their thoughts instead of leaving a number and leaving. It's good feedback, and can be quite eye opening to a number of flaws that a game has that can be improved upon.

It sounds like you're just trying to find things to get mad about. If you hate the internet that much you should probably stop using it. It is a message board after all, and you can never control what others do or say. -shrug-

That said, it goes deeper than the internet anyway, humans by nature will speak up more on things they dont like than what they do like... I doubt you would have made that post if everyone who left lower ratings hadn't said a thing and the people who gave it high ratings were singing praises.

However, I don't know you, so if my assessment is wrong, that's a good thing. I just call it like I see it. I would rather be dreadfully wrong in a case such as this.[/spoiler-box]
You misunderstand me. Folks are more than welcome to post their opinions - provided they do so in a constructive manner. I'm just saying I expect this sort of thing now and how unsurprising it is that PSO-World is exactly like the rest of the internet. And you really haven't said anything I don't already know about human nature (and, in fact, said human nature is the reason said internet is the way it is, please stop stating the obvious because it's starting to border on insulting).

Also, yes, obviously I wouldn't have said anything if it were just positive posts, because frankly I hate negative feelings and cynicism and all that junk because it feels bad. Big surprise, that!

Zarod89
Jul 5, 2012, 05:18 PM
Oh and for the people calling it too easy, yes, hardmode is meant to be easy in pso.
Remember ultimate mode Phantasmal World4 in pso1? That's where it get's interesting.
10 extra levels per month, Ultimate at lv 80? lv 50 somewhere in fall so atleast half a year till Ultimate?

Polly
Jul 5, 2012, 05:19 PM
I mean it is representative of the nature of much of the internet: people generally won't post if they are satisfied with something, but will post if they have something to complain about.

Hence, 3/11 satisfied people posting, but 2/3 unsatisfied people posting is entirely within the norms of the internet. The horrible, depressing, soul-crushing norms of the internet, for that matter.

Normally I'd agree, but considering that PSO-World is a site dedicated to one specific game series and this is the latest installment of the series garnering much excitement, I'd say that some posts criticizing the game aren't quite the norm. I'd say it's bucking the trend in an odd way.

I've seen it on this site numerous times when a new game is released where the positive opinions in threads such as this one outweigh those that criticize the game. This is just one topic in a forum where positive opinions of the game aren't really that hard to find in any topic you enter. This one just so happens to have a higher turn out of discussion from some that may not be 100% satisfied with the game.

Not all criticism is as cynical as you may want to believe. Some people just may not enjoy it as much as you or others are. I'm not sure why they should be shamed or blasted for having a voice as well.

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 05:23 PM
No one in this thread posted anything that was negative or cynical, they said their pieces and moved on. I see no reason for them to post more than what they did regarding their posts about the game because the OP gave a limit anyway. I'm glad you understand human nature, though I see no reason for you feel remotely insulted by what I said. In reality, the only one being negative here...

Well, I suppose it doesn't really matter. Sorry OP. Carry on.

HandOfThornz
Jul 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
Gets a 8.5 (8) from me. It would be higher if i could understand Japanese ;)

Neith
Jul 5, 2012, 05:31 PM

Very good game. For the love of God, remove Time Attack as a mandatory requirement to progress. Some people hate it.

Some of the menus aren't intuitive either; but for the most part they're fine.

Difficulty isn't an issue at this point; Hard Mode is still very early in the game. When late VH and beyond (Ultimate?) is too easy, then I might have issues.

Obviously have my issues with the prevalence of Arkz Cash as well, but the game on the whole is very solid.

gigawuts
Jul 5, 2012, 05:33 PM
5/10 Because just half the game has been released yet. (fall update is huge)

Oh and for the people calling it too easy, yes, hardmode is meant to be easy in pso.
Remember ultimate mode Phantasmal World4 in pso1? That's where it get's interesting.
10 extra levels per month, Ultimate at lv 80? lv 50 somewhere in fall so atleast half a year till Ultimate?

Yeah you're saying stuff that pretty closely mirrors how I feel. I may stop playing between hitting 40 and the fall update. Loads new content and an extra difficulty are great, but having neither of those doesn't bode well for long term entertainment.

I'll probably hit the level cap within a week no matter how much or how little I play (I base this on people hitting it within 24 hours, great sp curve line there sega), so that means I'll be capped for most of the wait until new content. Then I'll be hunting in monotonous levels to find rares that I could just buy. That's a great way to burn out, fast.

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 05:35 PM

Very good game. For the love of God, remove Time Attack as a mandatory requirement to progress. Some people hate it.

Yeah, what was up with the one for Tundra? I couldn't get Code Collect to appear sometimes until 21:30, and by then it was much too late. Really irritated me a bit.

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 05:36 PM
[snip]
[snip]
Stating the bloody obvious.

Look, folks, you are extrapolating things from my posts that are not there. I didn't say "all criticism is bad" or "all criticism is inherently cynical", I said "criticism being over-represented is typical of the internet" and "I don't like negativity in general (which includes cynicism and people not liking things that I like, which are not necessarily the same thing)".

But seriously, criticism is over-represented on the internet. That is what I was saying, am still saying, and will continue to say because you cannot seem to grasp the point I was making. Criticism is over-represented on the internet. Period. Period. Period! With an exclamation point this time.

Kanore
Jul 5, 2012, 05:46 PM
eight. no ship switching? ugh.

literally don't care about much else for the freemium model. at least i can buy stuff.

Polly
Jul 5, 2012, 05:50 PM
Stating the bloody obvious.

Look, folks, you are extrapolating things from my posts that are not there. I didn't say "all criticism is bad" or "all criticism is inherently cynical", I said "criticism being over-represented is typical of the internet" and "I don't like negativity in general (which includes cynicism and people not liking things that I like, which are not necessarily the same thing)".

But seriously, criticism is over-represented on the internet. That is what I was saying, am still saying, and will continue to say because you cannot seem to grasp the point I was making. Criticism is over-represented on the internet. Period. Period. Period! With an exclamation point this time.

Translation: "I don't like it when people say da bad things about things and and peoples gets to hears it." Again, one topic bearing a trend of more "peoples that don't likes :(" in a sea of positivity, happy sunshine, unicorns, and rainbows.

Really, the only misrepresentation here is you misrepresenting your views of internet negativity as something that's overcome PSO-World, when clearly the popular opinion on the game is positive. That positivity isn't in any kind of shortage around these parts despite this one topic and hell, maybe even a few others, that may not be quite as enthusiastic.

BahnKnakyu
Jul 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
Five because I feel like I'm only getting half the game unless I spend an unreasonable amount of money in the cash shop.

Also, too much grinding. I'm only level 21, but it already feels like I'm trying to grind past 90 in PSO1.

This.

The CORE gameplay is very solid and polished, but it's the freemium model and the PSU syndrome (lack of content) that's annoying the hell out of me.

Khasar
Jul 5, 2012, 05:53 PM
I gave it a 9 although 8 is a fair score. Considering it's all in JP and not English I love the game :D

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 06:05 PM
[snip]
Um, you're STILL missing the point of my post.

There isn't anything "overcoming" anything. General internet negativity is a thing, it is merely a thing, and it is present in every facet of the internet except for the ones that are rigidly controlled (Facebook comes to mind here), and PSO-W is no exception.

And I never said the positivity wasn't a thing, or that it was being drowned out, or whatever else you would like to misrepresent me as saying (you seem to do that a lot, btw). I was saying, again, that the posters in this thread disproportionately represent the negative ones over the positive ones. Mathematically, you cannot disprove this. I don't even know what you're arguing about at this point.

Zeota
Jul 5, 2012, 06:17 PM
I'd give it a solid 8.5/10.

Overall they did a great job incorporating all the good elements from PSO, PSU etc. However, I will agree with the point that many have made in the past about variations in scenery like with PSO1. They do get around this somewhat with the weather system, but a green forest is still a green forest whether it's raining or not.

Another annoyance I have with the game is having to jump through hoops to get access to new areas. I'm sure there are valid reasons for this within the lore (wanting to ensure that people are up to the task before deploying them to more dangerous areas, etc).

A number of things in this game remind me of FFXI, which isn't entirely a bad thing. You don't have a "base" level like with PSU and and you are the level your chosen class. You can experience the entire scope of the game with a single character, which was a major strong point of FFXI.

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 06:31 PM
There was practically no point to you "pointing that out", though. As if you were as adverse to negativity as you claim to be, you wouldn't have mentioned it. As there was nothing to gain but fueling the fire that wasn't even there to begin with. I am trying to tell you that you were in the wrong in the nicest way possible.

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 06:44 PM
There was practically no point to you "pointing that out", though. As if you were as adverse to negativity as you claim to be, you wouldn't have mentioned it. As there was nothing to gain but fueling the fire that wasn't even there to begin with. I am trying to tell you that you were in the wrong in the nicest way possible.
Please. This thread has no real point, either, as the "feedback" is not going to reach SEGA in any way, shape, or form. Let's face it - the only reason this thread exists is for people to pat each other on the back over sharing the same opinions, and perhaps to get a sense of how the community at large views the game (as if the rest of the entire forum wasn't enough for that). It serves no other purpose.

Halcyote
Jul 5, 2012, 06:48 PM
if i had to rate this game, i'd give it a solid 6.

slightly above average but i'm just concerned over some things. i like the game regardless, though.

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 06:49 PM
Neither does the general message board outside of arranging meetups if you want to spin it that way. The only boards here that would serve any purpose at all if we were to go that route would be the Guides and Trading boards. That's it, and even those are hard to make a case for in the grand scheme of "purpose".

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 06:51 PM
No, you're definitely wrong there. We have a thread for screenshots, threads pointing out useful information (including upcoming content), plenty of threads asking legitimate questions, and so on. This thread, on the other hand, is destined to become a circle-jerk at one point or another.

And I don't understand why you felt the need to "prove me wrong" or rebuke me on a simple observation. I mean, really?

Jakosifer
Jul 5, 2012, 06:58 PM
Useful information could go under guides, as could the questions topic. Screenshots are typically only for good fun, but ones pertaining to useful information could also go under guides. I can see movies being useful though, as others can learn new things from watching others play.

I didn't feel the need to prove you wrong, I felt the need to show you that being a pretentious hypocrite makes you, in no small way, a part of what you dislike about the internet. You being completely wrong is just icing on the cake.

The Walrus
Jul 5, 2012, 07:02 PM
9: It has its flaws but they aren't big enough flaws to keep me from loving this game to death

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 07:02 PM
[snip]
Right, because saying it to yourself over and over again proves me "completely wrong" (hint: there's math involved).

I have yet to even be convinced you understand what I'm talking about and aren't just talking over my head.

RedRaz0r
Jul 5, 2012, 07:18 PM
I said nine. I love everything about it, except for lack of English support at the moment. There are a few other small things, but those aren't worth mentioning.

GirrMan66
Jul 5, 2012, 07:21 PM
i said 11 because phantasy star is already a killer game the graphics are very smooth and the gameplay is great, besides who doesnt love a dedicated jump button?

Flame
Jul 5, 2012, 07:49 PM
Right, because saying it to yourself over and over again proves me "completely wrong" (hint: there's math involved).

I have yet to even be convinced you understand what I'm talking about and aren't just talking over my head.

You were the one who cast the first stone on this one buddy. Anyone with eyes can see that your post was meant to point out something snarky about the people who had offered 6's or 7's as their opinions.

And for the record I'd score this game an 7.5 right now. I think the pacing and mission progression is completely f*cked up. I have never been so encumbered with unlocking missions in a game before this one. I mean come on, Sega. It's super obvious that this is their way of forcing players to play the same area over and over. If they had produced more content in the first place, they wouldn't have to resort to such tactics.

Tessu
Jul 5, 2012, 07:52 PM
I gave it a 10/11. I'm not paying for anything, and I'm easy to entertain, so I don't have any real issues with the game. There are definitely things to criticize about the game, but none of them affect my experience so severely that I give a shit.

DreXxiN
Jul 5, 2012, 07:54 PM

Some of the menus aren't intuitive either; but for the most part they're fine.

Difficulty isn't an issue at this point; Hard Mode is still very early in the game. When late VH and beyond (Ultimate?) is too easy, then I might have issues.

Obviously have my issues with the prevalence of Arkz Cash as well, but the game on the whole is very solid.

I'm not trying to say this in any rude manner but if difficulty isn't an issue what is the problem with the Time Attacks? You only have to do them successfully once for each mission on normal.

texhnolyze
Jul 5, 2012, 08:04 PM
nine
i love the game :D
the only downside is the language, i can't understand the story/plot

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 08:06 PM
I'm not trying to say this in any rude manner but if difficulty isn't an issue what is the problem with the Time Attacks? You only have to do them successfully once for each mission on normal.
I can partially agree with this, except for the missions like the dagan extermination and ore excavation that're almost entirely dependent on random factors.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 5, 2012, 08:19 PM
i voted 7. making tundra only hard mode lvl 33+ only was a huge mistake. they should have made a normal mode free tundra accessible at lvl, say 20, since forest 5, caves 10, desert 15. i don't know why they dropped this progression but it was a poor choice.

forcing players to unlock things through client orders also isn't my style. it's most definitely a way to elongate gameplay time. my BIGGEST gripe was how i wasted probably ~2-3 hours trying to gain all the material so i could unlock level cap. that was a ridiculous waste of time, i could have leveled up at least twice. another gimmick to increase gameplay time.

what i do like is how bosses are getting more interesting. the panther boss is fun but he's not as challenging as i thought he'd be because he doesn't spam his lunge huge distance reverse swipe as much as i thought he would. just guard realllllly shines against him though.

currently the content is decent. i'd prefer more weapons but that will have to wait.

with that said, pso2 still has fantastic gameplay for a game of it's type. but like always, it could be much better. overall the biggest reason i gave this game a 7 is because of it's gameplay.

SaiKo
Jul 5, 2012, 08:58 PM
Gave it a 4...

What I basically wanted from PSO2 was PSO's item-system, episode-style, atmosphere, and several other minor systems fully revived and coupled with new, longer, and more complex levels, better graphics, smoother and more-involved combat, and more frequent updates.
Out of that, I only feel that I got the better graphics, improved combat, a slight bit of the atmosphere I wanted, and will be getting more-frequent updates.

Admittedly, I haven't mucked about enough to truly get a feel of the item-system as a whole, so I won't lambast that too much yet, but I'm already seeing some things that indicate a fair bit of difference from PSO in that regard... And combined with the content being delivered as randomized rooms that provide disconnected 'chunks' of gameplay due to the mission setup, my interest has pretty rapidly waned.

I expect it probably seems too severe to knock it so hard for these things, but the continuous, linear episodes and the item system accounted for 9Ø% of what I loved about PSO in the first place, so changes to these things pretty much wreck the game for me. Plus, there are some other things I'm not fond of as well, but I'll leave it there...

That said, it's still moderately enjoyable to me as a time-waster as the combat is fairly enjoyable, but I don't see myself getting invested unless a major revamp occurs. Thus, a 4...
Bit longer than I'd intended, but bleh...

SolRiver
Jul 5, 2012, 09:21 PM
Too early for review for me.

Language barrier.
Haven't try everything.
So much more...

Also... a lot of people's numbering system doesn't make much sense.

KanekoSaya
Jul 5, 2012, 09:25 PM
I absolutely love this game! It being in Japanese is a plus to help me continue learning moonrunes, but theres some things I really hate. It seems you cant go to your house unless you are "premium" which I still havent figured out...and you can't trade items or just drop them like in PSO. :/ I might be weird but I'd rather pay per month then spend all this money on weird stuff

Zyrusticae
Jul 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
i voted 7. making tundra only hard mode lvl 33+ only was a huge mistake. they should have made a normal mode free tundra accessible at lvl, say 20, since forest 5, caves 10, desert 15. i don't know why they dropped this progression but it was a poor choice.

Oohhh, yes, absolutely this. I don't understand their thought process behind this at all.

Increasing the gameplay variety at lower levels can only benefit them. Why would they artificially limit us like this? It makes no sense to me. It's especially weird that you can unlock the Tundra at level 25, but can't access it for five more levels. What?

Fortunately, pursuing client orders and matter board stuff kept me busy for most of 20-25 (and I do very much enjoy just PSE Burst farming on emergency missions), but it still seems weird to me that there's so much gating of content when PSU was very much the opposite, allowing you to take on missions far in advance of your character's level if you chose to do so. Hmmm....

Jungo Torii
Jul 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
This is my first Phantasy Star game, ever.

...I don't want to stop playing.

I can't really explain why, but this is one of two mmos I've ever bothered to really get into, so that's gotta be saying something.

If I had to give my current experience with PSO2 a number rating, it'd be an 8 or 9. Of course there are things I have problems with, but they're not that significant when it comes to the big picture for me.

girugamarc
Jul 5, 2012, 09:28 PM
6/10 because I don't like grinding. I do realize games like these have to be a grindfest though. Also the language barrier.

Keyblade59
Jul 5, 2012, 09:29 PM
I only give it a eleven because of how much success they have made in just the open beta, by god I'll be amazed to see the actual game.

KanekoSaya
Jul 5, 2012, 09:30 PM
This is my first Phantasy Star game, ever.

...I don't want to stop playing.

I can't really explain why, but this is one of two mmos I've ever bothered to really get into, so that's gotta be saying something.

If I had to give my current experience with PSO2 a number rating, it'd be an 8 or 9. Of course there are things I have problems with, but they're not that significant when it comes to the big picture for me.

Finally someone who thinks like me. <3

rise urbanus
Jul 5, 2012, 09:30 PM
:yes:11 my dream pso

Scrub
Jul 5, 2012, 09:42 PM
I gave it a 7/10. The lack of weapon variety for Rangers is a big downside for me, as is the lack of having at least like 1 or 2 freakin spells for each school for Force.

I also really don't like the timed mission bullshit (having REQUIRED timed shit in any game is kind of annoying, especially in this game with all the possible interruptions and whatnot. Save this shit for some fucking time-attack mode that I dont have to play).

I dont like the whole quest-oriented shit either but I'm gonna give the game the benefit of the doubt and say it's probably better if you can actually read the quest text.

Phantasma
Jul 5, 2012, 09:51 PM
252. Because that's how many hours I have in this game.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 5, 2012, 09:53 PM
I'm giving it a 4 our of 11 because they won't accept my money for AC. Oh, and a recurring issue that is driving me insane.

Also, when I used window mode and clicked my browser, which pulled it up over my windowed game to check bumped guides and such for quest help, I felt so great! Then when I clicked back to PSO2, my camera was stuck pointing up to the left and my character stuck in auto-run. No, I didn't press "v" to auto run. I press Z to stop the camera stuff, and V to stop the auto run, but then I can't run with WASD or the controller. I have to press V again and auto run into an NPC to talk to them or to zone to regain control of my character. After recovering this way, when I click a Disk to learn it, the menu freezes up, and I have to exit out of the menus. It won't let me get any options for any items. I click, and it'll freeze and I have to press the big "X" to close out of my inventory.

I went full screen and ran it through steam and SHIFT+TAB seemed to work for the browser... I wasn't getting this same error until the other day. Now, coming back from SHIFT+TAB produces the same problem.

This by itself annoys me to no end and it's why I'm not giving it a perfect 11. Plus the AC issue and lag.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 5, 2012, 09:55 PM
I gave it a 7/10. The lack of weapon variety for Rangers is a big downside for me, as is the lack of having at least like 1 or 2 freakin spells for each school for Force.

I also really don't like the timed mission bullshit (having REQUIRED timed shit in any game is kind of annoying, especially in this game with all the possible interruptions and whatnot. Save this shit for some fucking time-attack mode that I dont have to play).

I dont like the whole quest-oriented shit either but I'm gonna give the game the benefit of the doubt and say it's probably better if you can actually read the quest text.

the only real reason this game is getting any points at all with scrub is because it has super kawaii anime characters lol

Kylie
Jul 5, 2012, 09:55 PM
Seven. I like it. I'd even say the game plays better than PSU, but two things: 1) language barrier (which I guess isn't an entirely fair point), and 2) the damn cash shop feel... PSU had its ups-and-downs, but at least it didn't have any more expenses other than the monthly sub on the NA side. 1,000 AC costs me roughly $12. That 1,000 AC will get me two random items with random colors in the clothes/accessories scratch-off... I mean, I could hit it big and land a rare item, but if I'm going to pay real money for items, I shouldn't have to gamble. I'm a sucker and will do/have done it, but it's still annoying. :disapprove: Selling those items costs 700 AC, by the way (or more for premium); by the time I've gotten the item I want in the right color, I've spent at least 1,200 AC (if I got an item as valuable as what I want anyway)... That's more than the $10 monthly sub. I don't like that. Yes, I don't have to have new items, but they should be free in the first place. I think I would have rather paid monthly and gotten "free" items and services.

Leman
Jul 5, 2012, 09:56 PM
8/11 because it needs more contents, more story mission(more than 1 for chapter -.-), more weapons for force and ranger, more stage variety and gap between lvl 20 and 30 it's really huge so of course more client orders with good exp rewards.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 5, 2012, 09:57 PM
7 out of 10.

I gave the game 10 out of 10 at Alpha-2,
but it's been almost a year since the first Alpha and all they have at release is 4 areas? I'm kinda afraid to see if this will be the same pace we will get on updates to the game :(

I know SEGA isn't exactly overflowing with money to give a big budget to this. But this game is really good, and all it needs is just more content...

Scrub
Jul 5, 2012, 10:06 PM
the only real reason this game is getting any points at all with scrub is because it has super kawaii anime characters lol

only reason i even log in is to jerk off to 3 foot tall flatchested newearls tbqh

anastedia
Jul 5, 2012, 10:10 PM
5 on 11 because it's ridiculous to pay all this money for play a game ^^'. pay for doll of survival
but the game it's very cute {^-^}

Leman
Jul 5, 2012, 10:10 PM
I'm giving it a 4 our of 11 because they won't accept my money for AC. Oh, and a recurring issue that is driving me insane.

Also, when I used window mode and clicked my browser, which pulled it up over my windowed game to check bumped guides and such for quest help, I felt so great! Then when I clicked back to PSO2, my camera was stuck pointing up to the left and my character stuck in auto-run. No, I didn't press "v" to auto run. I press Z to stop the camera stuff, and V to stop the auto run, but then I can't run with WASD or the controller. I have to press V again and auto run into an NPC to talk to them or to zone to regain control of my character. After recovering this way, when I click a Disk to learn it, the menu freezes up, and I have to exit out of the menus. It won't let me get any options for any items. I click, and it'll freeze and I have to press the big "X" to close out of my inventory.

I went full screen and ran it through steam and SHIFT+TAB seemed to work for the browser... I wasn't getting this same error until the other day. Now, coming back from SHIFT+TAB produces the same problem.

This by itself annoys me to no end and it's why I'm not giving it a perfect 11. Plus the AC issue and lag.
I believe that all these issues are caused by you and your computer, not the game itself.

gigawuts
Jul 5, 2012, 10:11 PM
Nothing like someone in a wedding dress as tall as my knee to really get me going.

7 out of 10.

I gave the game 10 out of 10 at Alpha-2,
but it's been almost a year since the first Alpha and all they have at release is 4 areas? I'm kinda afraid to see if this will be the same pace we will get on updates to the game :(

I know SEGA isn't exactly overflowing with money to give a big budget to this. But this game is really good, and all it needs is just more content...
PSO2 has started with a good blank slate, but unfortunately it's still just that: a blank slate. It's got good core mechanics, but just needs more to actually do. I reached the level cap in something silly like a week after the open beta launched, I'd done all the content ten times over, and then the game actually launches with...one more area and ten more levels. The quests are basically a copypaste from caves.

I'd hoped they'd fill it in with a whole slew of quests with their own storylines (that I could google translate, lolol) but no, it's PSU all over again.

Renvalt
Jul 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
I will rate this a 9. Compared to all the other trash out there, coupled with the fact I've wanted a legit PSO MMO (not a Private Server) to be fleshed out, I will be more than occupied for the time being. I do not care if the game is in Japanese, or if certain features are removed from the game unless I pay for it (I'll be paying anyways at some point), this game rocks.

But since there are a few.... complaints from others, I want to explain what I believe is the methodology or the solution behind these decisions from SEGA.

1)First off, the game's only officially been out for, what, a day? While Open Beta did last a short time, you gotta realize - they expected some pretty low numbers and got more than they bargained for - hence the emergency maintenances once the servers got packed.

The fact that attendance hit beyond expectations (and this is factoring in the overwhelming majority of this activity was from the Japanese, mind you) - SEGA probably didn't need to think twice about ending the Beta early. The numbers told SEGA that they were doing good.

Also, regarding content: this early on, don't expect much in terms of lots of content. They just launched - give 'em a break!

2)Regarding the Tundra issue, it's true they might've locked you out of it for another 5 or so levels, but from my experience with past MMOs (and their revamps) they can always change that at some point in time. So they may fix it at some point, but when that is, we won't know.

Now then, for my pros and cons regarding PSO2.

Pro #1 - The game is a Sci-Fi MMO. The last Sci-Fi MMO I played was RF Online - and that game SUCKED! It's known as Rising Failure Online just because it's a Sci-Fi WoW clone. The only other Sci-Fi MMO isn't an RPG type - it's a shooter, and it happens to be the biggest cash hoar in existence.

Pro #2 - This is a genuine, honest to goodness Action RPG with a bit more free roaming than I normally see. Sure, it reminds of Vindictus with the small ass town - but then again, didn't the original PSO only have one town (minus the Laboratory Area of Pioneer 2 during Episode 2 - but that was pretty much the same place somewhat)? Besides, this isn't just some no-name series - it has a legacy behind it. Vindictus does not. Also, Vindictus has the least amount of character creation freedom I've ever seen. Bringing me to.....

Pro #3 - The character creation in this game is ASTOUNDING! Sure, outfit selection is small, but PSO2 has something Vindictus lacks - voice modification, as well as, what, 32 voice samples, with 16 possible pitch levels (both high and low) for both... you get, what, 512 possible voice options? And then of course, the avatar customization isn't prebuilt - you can shape your character to be an old geezer or a little child, a small drone or a giant goliath! The options are ENDLESS!

Pro #4 - While we're at it, this game made one GIGANTIC improvement from the old PSO (even though it was more or less in PSU, but that game doesn't count to honest PSO fans) - the ability for Casts to become Forces, and for Newmen to become Hunters and Rangers. That wasn't possible back in the days of Vanilla PSO, and the class equality is something I respect and embrace. I hate Berlin Walls of Racism (racial favoritism) in games, so this is a plus.

Con #1 - The game has more or less heavy system requirements, making it a chore for poverty players to try this gem, but with some minor tweaking, it CAN be done, provided you have a computer strong enough to handle the lowest of low settings - and provided you don't care about graphics quality (which I don't).

Con #2 - The fact I can't read Japanese is a con simply because in the USA, it's "Learn Spanish, French, or German - else you're a worthless waste of space" (I won't elaborate on why this particular line makes my blood boil), but we're not encouraged to learn Japanese, or Korean, or even Thai? How about Swahili? What about Danish, or Swedish?

I'd be fine with the game if I could read Japanese - or they translated it to English. Yet I can get along in game more or less alright, so this con's not too bad.

Con #3 - As it stands, I would love to see a couple new outfits released for Meseta, as well as new weapon types. As it stands, the lack of variety in weaponry is killing me.

Con #4 - One last thing I want to quirk about, but it's not really that bad, to be honest, and I could care less whether it's added or not. A sort of "guide arrow" for some stuff might be useful for the meantime to sort of guide you towards new player hotspots - like after Chapter 0, an arrow that points you to where Shion is for the Matter Board, leading you to the Mission Counter... y'know, stuff easy enough to lead us.

It's not a big concern, though - but it may help stop some idiots from infesting the game when they consider this a grindfest.

Also, I'd BETTER see more story content as the game goes on. Story Modes in RPGs are one of my favorite features, in addition to freedom of certain actions.

I better see Main Stories, Side Stories, Mini-Arcs - all with animated and voiced cutscenes and dialogue, mind you. I won't forgive them for anything less - the amount of animation and voiced dialogue in this game made me jump ship (no pun intended) from Mabinogi to PSO2 simply because of the voice acting (the former game lacks it).

But yeah, it's only one day after official release, and they aren't even catering to you guys yet. So cut them a little slack, will ya? They just started, and with all the work they gotta do, I'd be surprised if those active user numbers didn't DOUBLE once they released an English Language version.

We all know SEGA's no fool - while Capcom and co. cater to the idiotic masses who'll just feed 'em cash, SEGA sacrifices personal wealth for player enjoyment.

Granted, they DO make mistakes (their devs are only human), but we've seen SEGA more or less come back from bad mistakes and rock our expectations.

It's not about how MANY players they get, it's about how MUCH their players enjoy their games. They're not afraid to do what they love - even if it costs them profit.

Vylera
Jul 5, 2012, 10:14 PM
Best F2P game I've ever played.

I don't believe in perfect scores.

DreXxiN
Jul 5, 2012, 10:48 PM
I wish people would stop their technical issues or incompetence from affecting their score but then again most reviews have something like this lol.

BogusKun
Jul 5, 2012, 10:49 PM
It needs to get tougher and require more and tighter teamwork. I hope Hard Mines help.
Vader looks challenging just to play alone.

GrandTickler
Jul 5, 2012, 10:54 PM
ill rate it a 8 :)

if it had more outfits and different looking weapons it would be a 9.

if trading was free and dropping items was posible+ if it had more monsters, more maps, more bosses, more boss apear rates in free maps and more pse/cross bursts i'd give it a 10

Aszutai
Jul 5, 2012, 11:00 PM
Giving it a 8 for now, solid game so far considering it's still new and the level of detail on the graphic and characters. Enough content to keep a casual player like me busy for a while as long as they release new stuff on a timely manner. The random events are fun as well....

As for the downsides, well the character's jump bugs me a bit. They should jump further to make it less awkward. More variety in the environment and less repeat of the stupid events you run into during instances, I can only stance the same character saying the same crap so many times. Even to an ability to skip those scenes. More weapons as well, but that's coming down the pipeline, I heard we're getting 4 new weapon types??

MelancholyWitch
Jul 5, 2012, 11:01 PM
7/11, it is a good game and does have some PSO 1 elements to it, but to me right now it still feels like PSU2 more than anything, only Forces can use techs,everything is just a big AOE fest, and EXP seems easy to obtain compared to what it was in PSO 1. Mags are a joke and nothing like they were in PSO1, they need a lot of reworking. Over all it's a good game, but is it a true sequel to PSO1? Probably not yet, just because you use the same names of things doesn't really make it a sequel a lot of people don't really see the stuff that is missing that made PSO what it is. Taking TP out of the game was also stupid. PP the way it is now is from PSU not PSO.

ZIE creations
Jul 5, 2012, 11:03 PM
(didn't read any other posts, just a Warning)

11/10, why? Because I've waited 7 flippin' years for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon-
Jul 6, 2012, 12:20 AM
So far I'd give it a 9. I would've gave it a 10 but the AC prices are too high.

Jakosifer
Jul 6, 2012, 12:50 AM
I think they should vastly decrease the amount of AC spent on the Gacha stuff. That's one major issue I have with the game. Character Customization is something that fans of the series have appreciated since even the simpler times of PSO. But a random chance to get a random outfit that you probably can't even wear at such a high price is a major hit against the customization that the PSO series has always done so well with. Nevermind the costume shop being completely pointless since you can't even change the colors of starter outfits.

Crystal_Shard
Jul 6, 2012, 01:53 AM
Dammit, where's my 8.5 scoring option... ^_^

Loving pretty much everything about PSO 2, especially the customization, combat, most of the characters (Lisa and Echo banzai. :3), all the little homages to PSO, etc, etc. Also having little problem with the pacing, though I do miss the way PSO hid the story in between the Guild Quests. Either way, the Matter Board works a lot better for me compared to PSPo2's method of gating content through completing story missions.

Of all the few things that annoyed me, I'm managed to find free ways to work around almost all of them - most notably that I can find and buy all the outfits I want - and in the colours I want - through the MyShops. It seems like I'll never really need to use Arks Scratch ever and can simply use my AC for more valuable things.

In conclusion, hugely satisfied, a few nitpicks but nothing gamebreaking, and overall hoping that PSO 2 will run for far longer than it's predecessor. ^_^

DoubleCannon
Jul 6, 2012, 08:39 AM
11! 12 if they add double sabers and bring back SJS / TJS and DoubleCannon lol

Ryno
Jul 6, 2012, 11:42 AM
Is 1 the highest rating or is 10 (11)? Either way, I voted 1 because this game is number 1 in fun!

Seriously though, I'm having tons of fun in this game, save for the fact that the drill mission in desert is frustrating as all get out.

One is the lowest. For worst / poor. Lol

I voted 11 because I'm a PSO streaker. And the graphics a great.

TheSnowmanEffect
Jul 6, 2012, 02:53 PM
9/11. (Don't say nothin' D:)
This game is extremely entertaining so far. It's fast paced and I get to fight big monsters.
There are so many great things about this game, and I think Sega is handling everything great. I agree of the prices and even what they are selling, EXCEPT for the room. I think that should be a given, but honestly I had only gone in my room twice during the OB, and went into my friends only a few times.. So I guess it doesn't really matter (To me. I know some people love their rooms).

I find the game going in the right direction, but I still give it a 9 because nothing is flawless. Like, the blocks need to be a little bit more maze-ish, and we need more map variety. I'm already starting to recognize the Tundra and I've only done a few missions...
That's just one example. I could put a few more things, but for the sake of this post I won't make it any longer.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Jul 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
8/10. The core gameplay and customization are great. However, it's not a game that keeps me up until 4 AM. Not yet, at least. That could be due to slow leveling speed (especially compared to PSO/PSU) and the lag I've been getting nowadays every time I go through a pipe. But I should probably be more forgiving of those. After all, the game isn't even a week old.

Also Arks Cash is a bit expensive, but I blame a strong Yen and a weak (relatively speaking) USD for that.

Ueno54
Jul 6, 2012, 05:19 PM
I say 8/10. Maybe its just because of how young the game is, but the boss drops don't really pop for me. I haven't seen a single rare off a boss yet and I've killed up to the ant lion countless times on top of destroying their weak points.

gigawuts
Jul 6, 2012, 05:32 PM
Now that I've been playing tundra a while I really have to say that they've made combat more interesting since the beta content. I'm pretty satisfied with this.