PDA

View Full Version : Useful kanji for PSO2?

Meelkor
Jul 7, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hello. This might be a little off topic but is there any list of kanji that would be useful for playing PSO2 (or japanese mmorpgs at all).
Thanks for reply~

DeathByPogs
Jul 7, 2012, 02:20 PM
No. Japanese writing uses 3 different "vocabularies" if you will, Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji. All 3 of those combined make what you see in PSO2. Hiragana and Katakana are not that hard to learn. However using them in sentences is a whole different beast. The problem with the Japanese language is words and sentences can have different meanings.

On top of all of this, there are over 2,000 Kanji characters. It would take years to learn all of this.

As far as PSO2 is concerned, there are translated menus and the like that may be useful to you, and they are in the Guides forum.

Feggge
Jul 7, 2012, 02:22 PM
Don't know about Kanji. I think there is a lot of that in PSO2. And there's an awful lot of Kanji out there... Katakana however would be very useful for you as many of the menu choices and item names are written in it.

I am definately no Japanese expert, but having a katakana list beside the screen when playing has definately been worthwhile as I can now navigate some menus without the fear of detonating the ship... or something.

Meelkor
Jul 7, 2012, 02:26 PM
Oh, I forgot to mentoin that I already know both kanas, few kanji and basic japanese grammer, I just wanted to know whether there is some kind of "often used in MMORPGs" kanji list.
Okay, thank you for info though.

Hrith
Jul 7, 2012, 02:39 PM
炎 - flame
氷 - ice
雷 - lightning
風 - wind
光 - light
闇 - darkness

Those are useful to know when shopping.