PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 The importance of English

BogusKun
Jul 8, 2012, 08:56 PM
In the past, Japanese games were being released in Japan long before mainstream America knew about them existing. What makes it different now?... Why is it that SEGA will take their time building a translation for other languages if they so desire, troubling many English able-speakers?

All I see is complaints about a Japanese-only, Japanese-release, Japanese-Language game needing to be in English. So what if we are fans. The game wasn't the talk of E3, so SEGA had some intentions of feeding it to the western world? No.

Here are my thoughts at the moment:

I think the Japanese should focus on their own game ... this PSO2 game we are playing. They should not leave anything but finances to SoA and a few promotions/translation/localization/server maintenances to the west. The game text can be translated in due time with Japanese voices. However, making it fully English with voices and all is just too much for SEGA. The economy in Japan and America is not too strong as they once were. Your only concern while playing a Japanese-only game is to play it while you can in their language.

What are you going to do... fly to Japan and force everyone to live the way you live? No.
They put in their work to make the game, you have your obligations as a cross-culture player to play it.
----

Anyways, I am enjoying the game. My Japanese reading skills are good enough to get through the game so far, and I had no problem. My time in Japan also taught me to be more patient and understanding of people from a culture I do not yet fully understand or live... BUT I also know they have their issues as a company to HELP the people they know they can help.

SEGA has no regulation and promises made for the west at the moment. We are not to demand anything from them. Luckily, we are able to play this game and deal with what we have now. When the game is released in English, you will have a chance to maybe start over with new characters, and recollect as a community.

My time on PSO was long enough before. I put my time into PSOW years ago and enjoyed playing with some of you who frankly I still don't know (the who's who of PSO/PSOW). If we crossed paths, we should do it again. Happy 2000th post for me. All those FKLs in the past really set me back.

-Bogus

Garnet_Moon
Jul 8, 2012, 09:02 PM
Horrible, flammable thread, but grats on 2,000 posts! +^_^+

Kanore
Jul 8, 2012, 09:03 PM
if i were sega i would just release an english patch and allow AC to be bought through paypal

they're not going to profit off an actual separate release, the MMO market is too saturated, SEGA as a whole would be maintaining two separate games, another set of servers, and more bureaucracy since SoA would be dealing with it.

PSO's a niche game and its niche are a lot of players who are totally fine with japanese voices and alternate language subtitles

Geistritter
Jul 8, 2012, 09:05 PM
This wouldn't be a problem if people bothered to learn some of their language. The majority of the terminology in this game is in English, besides, so it's not even that massive a transition.

It's easy to criticize others, sure, but most of the time there's at least something you could've done to make things easier on yourself, rather than expecting others to accommodate you. And hell, you might learn something along the way.

Asuni
Jul 8, 2012, 09:10 PM
This wouldn't be a problem if people bothered to learn some of their language. The majority of the terminology in this game is in English, besides, so it's not even that massive a transition.

It's easy to criticize others, sure, but most of the time there's at least something you could've done to make things easier on yourself, rather than expecting others to accommodate you. And hell, you might learn something along the way.

This.

I know enough Japanese to get along fine in this game, so it's not a problem for me.

Phantasma
What are you going to do... fly to Japan and force everyone to live the way you live? No.

Correct. I'm going to fly to Japan and live the way they do o.o

DeathByPogs
This game has inspired me to learn the Japanese language, and it's pretty exciting.

Ryo
Jul 8, 2012, 09:11 PM
I agree with the OP on his point of view, but I do think SEGA will at some point have even the Japanese client in English.

I mean, there's a language option in settings; it'd make no sense not to have multiple options in there, otherwise, why add it?

If people are going to play a Japanese game they should expect it to be in Japanese, not anything else. I played import games back in the '90s on my Super Nintendo and all that did was inspire me to take Japanese in college, which serves me very well in this game.

BIG OLAF
Jul 8, 2012, 09:12 PM
I'm picking up a very small bit of Japanese just by playing, but I have no idea what anything outside of very basic katakana says.

Asuni
Jul 8, 2012, 09:14 PM
This game has inspired me to learn the Japanese language, and it's pretty exciting.

That's great! I really love to hear when people discover a motivation for learning a language. This game is helping me study as well.

Elmera
Jul 8, 2012, 09:16 PM
I honestly don't care what language they put the game in. I'm just thankful there is no region block like most other games.

Zipzo
Jul 8, 2012, 09:17 PM
So it's wrong to desire an english localization for a game which has consistently seen western release save the most recent PSPi?

Okay, dude.

You don't build up a decent American/english speaking fanbase over 10 years, then bork that fanbase out of the AAA flagship sequel. It can mean bad things.

Firehouse1983
Jul 8, 2012, 09:18 PM
I honestly don't know a lick of Japanese at all, and I have absolutely no problem playing this game. I know a few basic drops and a few basic things like items ATP/DEF, etc...I don't mind flipping through menu translations and such, until we either get our own servers/patch to play the game.

Basically, what I'm saying is: I'm loving it, language barrier or not..I'll continue to play regardless.

EDIT: I did have a very nice conversation for about 15 minutes or so with a Taiwanese person who knew some English. I thought he/she was pretty awesome. One of those people who you can play with forever and probably learn a bit of the JP language from. We can learn from each other, perhaps. If we all could find someone like this, in game, that would be an awesome tool for you to learn some of the JP language as well. Kind of a "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" deal.

EvilMag
Jul 8, 2012, 09:18 PM
Lets be honest, you guys would rather deal with moonrunes than with SoA's bullshit.

SolRiver
Jul 8, 2012, 09:19 PM
So it's wrong to desire an english localization for a game which has consistently seen western release save the most recent PSPi?

Okay, dude.

If you whine and flood the forum with it, then it is a problem for all of us on the forum.

and yes, I absolutely prefer dealing with moonrunes than with SoA and western penis symbol art spam.

Kanore
it feels great developing my basic japanese skills but honestly a lot of people just want to play the game.

i can still remember when i tried playing japanese games when i didn't know japanese and i felt kinda helpless. asian languages are daunting (aside from japanese i've also studied basic mandarin), and to just somehow 'jump in' to learning just because you want to play a video game is kind of weird.

people just want to play the game, man. it's understandable that people are frustrated and let out that frustration. it's not really a good response to say 'well then learn some damn japanese,' because that's really not a fair response. it's hard to get into.

the PSO community is just new to this because this has never happened before. JP PSO and PSU were always locked away because of their subscriptions - you had to jump through a lot of hoops as an english player to get on JP servers. now that it's free and literally anyone around the world can just make an account using one guide and get on the game, you have a ton of people who are frustrated that the newest game from their favorite series isn't quite fully accessible to them yet even though they can move around and play in it.

Lord Yurka
The title mislead me and I was thinking this was going to be a "they should learn to cater to us English players more" thread, but I was pleasantly surprised. I know people have love for this game and want it to be released in English, but I find something as silly as language a minor deterrent from a series that I love so much and while I cannot fully understand what is happening, I try to understand as much as possible

Wolfgrey666

Okay, dude.

Kinda have to agree with this here.

And i am someone who is happy studying japanese and i still think that.Then again i also have gamesites from america trolling me day in and day out about new info on japanese games.Doesn't help at all.

xoyamiox
Jul 8, 2012, 09:20 PM
Im just glad to be playing it for the Japanese Voicing, we get all the same events as them etc.
Most of my friends don't know any Japanese but are having a great time speaking English to people and just finding out what button does what.

And yes no region block

DjDragoon
Jul 8, 2012, 09:20 PM
Japanese is pretty damn hard to learn, as are most eastern languages. And you're gonna have to be reading the majority of the game instead of listening to it. Kanji's kinda a beast when it comes to memorizing characters. I can only translate the hira/katakana. Sega would be letting a lot of fans down if this wasn't localized.

Lord Yurka
Jul 8, 2012, 09:23 PM

Okay, dude.

You don't build up a decent American/english speaking fanbase over 10 years, then bork that fanbase out of the AAA flagship sequel. It can mean bad things.There is a difference between desire and demand

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 8, 2012, 09:24 PM
if i were sega i would just release an english patch and allow AC to be bought through paypal

they're not going to profit off an actual separate release, the MMO market is too saturated, SEGA as a whole would be maintaining two separate games, another set of servers, and more bureaucracy since SoA would be dealing with it.

PSO's a niche game and its niche are a lot of players who are totally fine with japanese voices and alternate language subtitles

they could probably do this and be fine. all they'd have to do is make an english translation for their website and the client itself. no need to redo voice actors, that's for sure. subtitles would definitely suffice.

i think bringing the game to english speaking shores will actually take more money than it will harvest. mainly because you have to hire eng voice actors as well, deal with new servers (i find the latency from the japanese servers fine. i don't really care if i can't see my partners movements precisely. the bosses and enemies all move laglessly to me 99% of the time, which is the most important.)

NoiseHERO
Jul 8, 2012, 09:34 PM
I've only glanced at a couple stray sentence of this thread... whatever my thoughts are in this topic I probably already posted in the sticky thread talking about the possibility of a localized version of this game.

But I WILL add a TL;DR anyway, You know...

It's okay to NOT be hot and bothered and paranoid about this game getting localized. I'm pretty sure we're gonna get it, so chillax and play the JP version while you wait, IT'S FREE.

Instead of letting Edward get your hopes up for no reason with no useful information every other half a week. Because you ASSUME everything that comes out of his mouth is a troll hint at PSO2 coming out in english. Then getting mad about being left in the dark, and acting as if this game is never going to come out. When you could be playing the actual game while you wait. >_>

Enforcer MKV
Jul 8, 2012, 09:35 PM

I'm pretty much in agreement. Subtitles alone would be fine. One thing I would personally like are prepaid cards. (I know, I know, manufacturing costs. But, I can wish, can't I!? I have income, but no credit card, prepaid cards would be 'perfect' for me - and trust me, I want to spend money on this game.)

This game definitely doesn't need English VO. Ya'll complain about Japanese voiced Afin enough as is. I don't want to imagine the hate for the English version.

BogusKun
Jul 8, 2012, 09:39 PM

I agree with you with all this. A separate game is not what I'm looking at SEGA to do... more just the background factors in localization. Westerns have relied on PayPal's "secured" payment for quite sometime so when it or if it happens I hope to see it.

I'm not wanting the game to be Japanese-only. I want it to be enjoyed and enjoyable all at once. I would like it available in more languages so we have more economy to deal with. So what if the item drop rate sucks, we should want the game to flourish. SEGA celebrated a victory over this according to Japanese SEGA blog at ameblo. They expect the fandom from the west as well... they probably did not expect the numbers. So many people in Japan are already on the servers, and the English are welcomed to play. We aren't the issue at all... it's just the numbers piling up on SEGA all at once.

And again... English will have to wait. It may or may not come, but it's not up to western consumers on what SEGA should do. It's up to SEGA (Japan).

Hategull
Jul 8, 2012, 09:44 PM

Okay, dude.

Yup. We're all horrible people. Boy howdy.

and yes, I absolutely prefer dealing with moonrunes than with SoA and western penis symbol art spam.

Valid point on SoA, but if you think the latter is gone then you're kidding yourself. Believe me, there's plenty of that on PSO2.

Geistritter
Jul 8, 2012, 09:45 PM

Okay, dude.

You don't build up a decent American/english speaking fanbase over 10 years, then bork that fanbase out of the AAA flagship sequel. It can mean bad things.

Not if accommodating them means losing money. Whether fans like it or not, video games aren't made out of the goodness of developers' hearts - they're made to be profitable.

If it's not, the only "bad thing" for them would be to ignore that and waste money on a dead horse. The fans may not like that, but again, the fans can just learn some Japanese if they think they need the game that desperately. It works out better for everyone in the end.

Crysteon
Jul 8, 2012, 09:46 PM

I wish more people were like this, instead of bitching about their own mediocrity. I congratulate you for taking the initiative to learn new things. Keep it up, buddy :p !

Enforcer MKV
Jul 8, 2012, 09:47 PM
I agree with you with all this. A separate game is not what I'm looking at SEGA to do... more just the background factors in localization. Westerns have relied on PayPal's "secured" payment for quite sometime so when it or if it happens I hope to see it.

I'm not wanting the game to be Japanese-only. I want it to be enjoyed and enjoyable all at once. I would like it available in more languages so we have more economy to deal with. So what if the item drop rate sucks, we should want the game to flourish. SEGA celebrated a victory over this according to Japanese SEGA blog at ameblo. They expect the fandom from the west as well... they probably did not expect the numbers. So many people in Japan are already on the servers, and the English are welcomed to play. We aren't the issue at all... it's just the numbers piling up on SEGA all at once.

And again... English will have to wait. It may or may not come, but it's not up to western consumers on what SEGA should do. It's up to SEGA (Japan).

All of this being said. English subtitles, English subtitles, English subtitles, pleeeeeeeease! ^^;

Valid point on SoA, but if you think the latter is gone then you're kidding yourself. Believe me, there's plenty of that on PSO2.

And it's predominately the western players doing it, too. At least from my experience. Don't want to see it? avoid block 20~.

NoiseHERO
Jul 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
This game is so unplayable in Japanese....

I'm gonna have to sit down and learn some basic katakana AT LEAST before I can even think to press the A button to swing at a monsters...

Otherwise I might delete my whole account and sell all of my level 1 rares on accident.

Hategull
Jul 8, 2012, 09:51 PM
And it's predominately the western players doing it, too. At least from my experience. Don't want to see it? avoid block 20~.

One of the guarantees of an online game, right up there with gratuitous amounts of launch maintenance. Nice to know some things in life will always be certain.

Geistritter
Jul 8, 2012, 09:51 PM
Japanese is pretty damn hard to learn, as are most eastern languages. And you're gonna have to be reading the majority of the game instead of listening to it. Kanji's kinda a beast when it comes to memorizing characters. I can only translate the hira/katakana. Sega would be letting a lot of fans down if this wasn't localized.

...The vast majority of the game is in Katakana and Hiragana. There is very little Kanji overall, so that's lousy justification for Sega letting "a lot" of fans down.

And don't get me wrong, Kanji is bullshit - I refuse to learn it. But I'm hardly suffering without it, and I'm not even close to the kinds of rabid fan that's deluded enough to think they're owed a localization.

I do agree that an even basic English patch and less pointlessly constrictive payment options for people outside Japan would be fine, though. There's nothing wrong with not making separate versions of the game, and whatever money made just goes straight to the developers with no middle man if things are left here. The latency is no worse than the North American version of freaking PSU. Hell, it's better in some ways. Sega does have some profit to gain from us foreigners if they're just creative about how we're dealt with.

skuld01
Jul 8, 2012, 10:00 PM

I'm gonna have to sit down and learn some basic katakana AT LEAST before I can even think to press the A button to swing at a monsters...

Otherwise I might delete my whole account and sell all of my level 1 rares on accident.

Learn it or don't play it lol.

No one force you to play a game that you can't read the instructions.

I hope you are not one of the people who sitting in the server and chat with English in ALL channel for the whole time, complaining the game should have English language option.

The whole idea is all these English players wish to play this F2P game across the sea and having over 200ping but also demanding the game come with a second interface language which is not for their first target audience.

And to simplify OP's idea:
No, don't ask for English patch here and there anymore.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 8, 2012, 10:00 PM
i don't need zee English, it would be nice, be nicer to load more then 5 models, but one thing i would really really like is the ability to copy/paste item names, so i can copy them into player shop search, I'm surprised how many items are hidden when just searching by category, like Saturday night, if you searched for 9* rifles, there was only one Denian Gun on the market, but if you went so far as to type ディブルカーン into the search, there were 4, including 2 that were cheaper then the one in the wide search+^_^+ On the plus side, I'm learning a bit of kana using the lexilogos keyboard to narrow searches down and landed a very good alba laser with awesome affixes for dirt cheap+^_^+

The whole idea is all these English players wish to play this F2P game across the sea and having over 200ping but also demanding the game come with a second interface language which is not for their first target audience.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2044201435.png
I've had worse pings on CoD on my Xbox and it was playable+^_^+

NoiseHERO
Jul 8, 2012, 10:02 PM
Learn it or don't play it lol.

No one force you to play a game that you can't read the instructions.

I hope you are not one of the people who sitting in the server and chat with English in ALL channel for the whole time, complaining the game should have English language option.

And to simplify OP's idea:
No, don't ask for English patch here and there anymore.

Oh my god...

Please tell me you were being as sarcastic as I was... It's really hard to tell, bro, brb rofl

*was making fun of the people whining about language barrier because that's how they sound, yet if you took me seriously that makes the truth extra sad...*

DjDragoon
Jul 8, 2012, 10:03 PM
...The vast majority of the game is in Katakana and Hiragana. There is very little Kanji overall, so that's lousy justification for Sega letting "a lot" of fans down.

And don't get me wrong, Kanji is bullshit - I refuse to learn it. But I'm hardly suffering without it, and I'm not even close to the kinds of rabid fan that's deluded enough to think they're owed a localization.

I do agree that an even basic English patch and less pointlessly constrictive payment options for people outside Japan would be fine, though. There's nothing wrong with not making separate versions of the game, and whatever money made just goes straight to the developers with no middle man if things are left here. The latency is no worse than the North American version of freaking PSU. Hell, it's better in some ways. Sega does have some profit to gain from us foreigners if they're just creative about how we're dealt with.

Just a "little" kanji? Really? There's kanji everywhere. And my point isn't the fact that it's all in Japanese. It's that after all the Phantasy Star games that have been released in the States, the one fans want the most is probably this one. Sure people can try and play the game without knowing Japanese, but can't deny that ST would make a lot more money from US players if the game was in English so people can buy goods easier.

gigawuts
Jul 8, 2012, 10:04 PM

I found it quite easy to pick up on. Almost everything written in katakana is either english (friend partner, my room, my shop, mag, item), or an item name from previous PS games (monomate, star atomizer, moon atomizer). Because I already understood most of the pronunciations and could piece together characters I didn't immediately recognize, I was able to learn katakana in a matter of days.

Here's the three links I used to learn. I pretty much always have these three pages open:
http://translate.google.com/
http://www.online-languages.info/japanese/kana.gif (ctrl+scroll wheel to zoom in, fill the entire screen with katakana)
http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/katakana.htm

Three days of "studying" (aka playing a video game) and the only two letters I couldn't read with ease were wo and nu.

I recommend trying it. It's actually really fun being able to read this stuff. It seems silly, but it's not every day I pick up on a foreign alphabet so I'm having fun with it.

skuld01
Jul 8, 2012, 10:05 PM
Oh my god...

Please tell me you were being as sarcastic as I was... It's really hard to tell, bro, brb rofl

*was making fun of the people whining about language barrier because that's how they sound, yet if you took me seriously that makes the truth extra sad...*

Well, I guess from 2 cases when I read your post, and I guessed wrong.

It is abit extreme about talking "might delete my account" so I guessed you are really one of the players who totally lost in a game without English on it.
It looks like a kid at 9 and mad/crying about he can't read a single thing but still wish to play it and do all the cool moves the game provide, and after all small complain, they drop down a big "what if" cases and think of the worst case if they can't read the instructions, then proceed to "The game maker should make a version in MY language"

That's how I feel at that moment.

Sorry Bro.

Hope you have a nice day in PSO2.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
Oh my god...

Not to mention people who are new to the site fail to realize that most of your 'sparkling' wit.....is just sarcasm.

Not their fault, of course.

Jakosifer
Jul 8, 2012, 10:08 PM
I can't believe people can take Mike seriously, even if they've never talked to him before.

Lostbob117
Jul 8, 2012, 10:09 PM
Shouldn't this go in the section dead horse rant?

gigawuts
Jul 8, 2012, 10:09 PM
Eh, I more meant it as a reply to that sort of idea but it does look like I actually thought he meant he can't figure out which button on his controller is attack because everything is in squiggles.

skuld01
Jul 8, 2012, 10:10 PM
Not to mention people who are new to the site fail to realize that most of your 'sparkling' wit.....is just sarcasm.

Not their fault, of course.

So he was just pretending to be a 9yr-old crybaby?

Oh ok.

NoiseHERO
Jul 8, 2012, 10:14 PM
I feel like I'm talking to a group of hoodrats.

Geistritter
Jul 8, 2012, 10:15 PM
Just a "little" kanji? Really? There's kanji everywhere.

No, there isn't. The only notable place it consistently appears is the character statistics, the mission/quest names, and some of the equipment affixes, all of which can merely be remembered by their placement. Most of the weapons, skills, names, and so forth are in Katagana, and most of the descriptions and dialogue are in Hiragana.

And my point isn't the fact that it's all in Japanese. It's that after all the Phantasy Star games that have been released in the States, the one fans want the most is probably this one. Sure people can try and play the game without knowing Japanese, but can't deny that ST would make a lot more money from US players if the game was in English so people can buy goods easier.

And they may also lose money from the attempt; we've given them no reason to think otherwise in recent years.

The major difference is that this game isn't terrible, of course, but we don't have as many people who will buy a game solely off of brand name recognition as Japan does. What's more, as it stands right now, this game isn't even as good as some of its competitors, and its weak launch implies it may be awhile before it is, if it ever is. What's more, as mentioned by other users, this is a niche title with a niche following; while it's a solid game, it has a lot of very Japanese aspects that can be off-putting to a broader audience. It may not be able to compete in the western market in the first place.

So while they will undoubtedly be able to make a lot more money from English speaking players by localizing the game, it may still not outweigh or justify the cost of doing so.

Ex Valkyrie
Jul 8, 2012, 10:24 PM
I think expecting people to just up and learn a language for a game is too much to justify. > . >
Also, there is no obligation to play a game. Games are made for the players, but it's the player's choice if the game is worth the time and/or money to engage in the game.

For Sega, it's their choice if they want to make an English patch or such. If they believe it's worth the time to do so, whether it be for profits or pleasing their English speaking fanbase, they will likely do so.
If they don't feel that it is worth the expense and effort required for such things though, then they likely won't.

What comes of their choices shall be just though, for that too is in the right of the player to decide.

heylookapanda
Jul 8, 2012, 10:25 PM

Some people are not skilled enough to learn the language. We can all try, but only a select few will actually be able to read it rather than just try to remember that 2 lines down in this menu happens to be armor.

I think the Japanese should focus on their own game ... this PSO2 game we are playing. They should not leave anything but finances to SoA and a few promotions/translation/localization/server maintenances to the west. The game text can be translated in due time with Japanese voices. However, making it fully English with voices and all is just too much for SEGA. The economy in Japan and America is not too strong as they once were. Your only concern while playing a Japanese-only game is to play it while you can in their language.

Adding an English patch that simply overrides the Japanese writing wouldn't be much more complicated than translating a manga series, show or movie. This would be even easier if Sega is the one to make it. No one asks for more than that and by more I mean English voice overs. I personally prefer Japanese voices with English subtitles, because they express what they are saying better than English speaking people do.

SEGA has no regulation and promises made for the west at the moment. We are not to demand anything from them. Luckily, we are able to play this game and deal with what we have now. When the game is released in English, you will have a chance to maybe start over with new characters, and recollect as a community.

There is no need for an American release of the game. Releasing two games is pointless in my opinion. They don't pay enough attention to the American servers, so why waste money keeping it up when people will quit out of boredom and irritation? It would be more cost effective and easier to just allow for us to change languages in the preferences. Times have changed and countries no longer need to have the gap between cultures. The sooner Sega realizes this, the better.

BogusKun
Jul 8, 2012, 10:26 PM
No, there isn't. The only notable place it consistently appears is the character statistics, the mission/quest names, and some of the equipment affixes, all of which can merely be remembered by their placement. Most of the weapons, skills, names, and so forth are in Katagana, and most of the descriptions and dialogue are in Hiragana.

And they may also lose money from the attempt; we've given them no reason to think otherwise in recent years.

The major difference is that this game isn't terrible, of course, but we don't have as many people who will buy a game solely off of brand name recognition as Japan does. What's more, as it stands right now, this game isn't even as good as some of its competitors, and its weak launch implies it may be awhile before it is, if it ever is. What's more, as mentioned by other users, this is a niche title with a niche following; while it's a solid game, it has a lot of very Japanese aspects that can be off-putting to a broader audience. It may not be able to compete in the western market in the first place.

So while they will undoubtedly be able to make a lot more money from English speaking players by localizing the game, it may still not outweigh or justify the cost of doing so.

As a History/Political science major... your entry in PSO's Great Debate is quite impressive =)
Continue on with your reasoning kind fellow.

DjDragoon
Jul 8, 2012, 10:26 PM
I think expecting people to just up and learn a language for a game is too much to justify. > . >
Also, there is no obligation to play a game. Games are made for the players, but it's the player's choice if the game is worth the time and/or money to engage in the game.

For Sega, it's their choice if they want to make an English patch or such. If they believe it's worth the time to do so, whether it be for profits or pleasing their English speaking fanbase, they will likely do so.
If they don't feel that it is worth the expense and effort required for such things though, then they likely won't.

What comes of their choices shall be just though, for that too is in the right of the player to decide.

Amen.

BogusKun
Jul 8, 2012, 10:36 PM
There is no need for an American release of the game. Releasing two games is pointless in my opinion. They don't pay enough attention to the American servers, so why waste money keeping it up when people will quit out of boredom and irritation? It would be more cost effective and easier to just allow for us to change languages in the preferences. Times have changed and countries no longer need to have the gap between cultures. The sooner Sega realizes this, the better.

Why are you telling me this? We virtually the same standpoint on the matter. Of course, the game and company would benefit IF (have always said may/may not/if) the game text is dubbed into English (with other translations) available in the west. I didn't say American releases were necessary because I am aware of the rest of the world.

However, (and I did not state this) I do believe a few more ships capable of welcoming speakers of other languages be made, population numbers on these ships are updated, and/or ship transfer is implemented if this sort of thing occurs... and I mean... "if".

Chik'Tikka
Jul 8, 2012, 10:37 PM
Adding an English patch that simply overrides the Japanese writing wouldn't be much more complicated than translating a manga series, show or movie. This would be even easier if Sega is the one to make it. No one asks for more than that and by more I mean English voice overs. I personally prefer Japanese voices with English subtitles, because they express what they are saying better than English speaking people do.

especially since there is already a fairly complete patch with the majority of the menus/interfaces already translated, since in the ToS Sega technically could claim it, it wouldn't bee too hard to give it a scan for viruses/malware and release it as is (with files renamed so it could be selected in the launcher)+^_^+

lilibat
Jul 8, 2012, 10:39 PM
As much as I would be interested in learning Japanese there is no way I can learn enough quickly enough to really be able to understand the story. Understand the menus & some bits of the quests, possibly. It's all very well for people who already know Japanese but for them to chide us for not learning it? Not cool. I realize most Americans don't bother with other languages but I have studied a few other languages & was at one point conversational if not fluent in 2 besides the one I grew up speaking. I love learning languages but I just don't have time right now for such a massive undertaking.

Also, I would kind of prefer they kept the Japanese voices with the subtitles. I love the sound of the language even if I don't speak it.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 8, 2012, 10:48 PM
English Subtitles.That is all i ask.

Oh and smarter ideas when it comes to servers.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 8, 2012, 10:48 PM
Honestly I don't care much about the Japanese Audio change as alot of times Japanese Audio depending on the convo sounds more...."deep" and more interesting to listen to....

I'd welcome that... actually...

If the text itself was translate in English....I'd be fine....

mhjc
Jul 8, 2012, 10:50 PM

Again, it isn't about learning a language, it is about learning an alphabet. You learned your native one, didn't you? You also learned the English alphabet if you're not a native speaker and are on this forum... There are a ton of English words in the game, and if you would just take it upon yourself to read it, you'd get by a lot easier than relying on many guides for simple things.

Yes, choices are everything. Many players could simply learn to read kana, yet many don't. You could even learn how to type kana and learn that way if you forget them until you learn them. I learned Hangul through practice of typing it.

I will agree that, some people are not skilled enough to learn a language, but many seem to give up before they even try.

sugarFO
Jul 8, 2012, 10:55 PM

Agreed. All I do is just memorize what the word I want to find looks like in the Japanese symbols and then look for it. That's how I know which party is in forest or tundra, etc. The JP PSO2 wiki is also a great resource if you want to copy and paste items in the player shop search bar.

Also, my 2 cents. SEGA is great at making games that are fun and original. However, they are notoriously completely out of touch with their fans and playerbase. PSO2 is absolutely my favorite game right now. But I've always had a sinking paranoia that SEGA is going to end up effing it up, whether it is in regards to an English language option, AC, or keeping NA from playing the JP version. Or any other surprise happening. I really hope PSO2 has worldwide success, I think it deserves it as far as gameplay and graphics go.

Geistritter
Jul 8, 2012, 10:55 PM
It's worth clarifying that I'd love to see this game do well, partly because it's actually a freaking game, something the western online RPG market is sorely lacking in my opinion. The closest we've come that I've played was City of Heroes, and even that was mostly "stand around pressing keys and wait until the random number generator kills you or the other guy" in the end. A notable Korean example was Mabinogi Heroes (Vindictus in North America), a hilariously fun action game with destructible physics and delightfully brutal gameplay. There is nothing more shockingly amusing than bludgeoning an enemy in the head and sending him flying across the room, and then seeing his ragdoll body crash into a pillar, smashing it into dozens of pieces which then tumble onto and kill his allies.

And then using those pieces to beat his remaining allies to death.

PSO 2 has awhile before it offers that kind of entertainment value (though I'll admit I found it amusing that you can jump on Malmoths' backs and ride them around), but I'd still like to see it reach a state where it could compete with anyone. I really like this series, thanks in no small part to my being able to play as a giant robot wielding a gun that fires explosions, but I don't know if it can compete, or ever will be able to. So it may be better just to focus on making the Japanese version better but more accessible to the non-Japanese. Again, I stress that creativity, thinking outside of the norm, could net Sega of Japan some scratch from unexpected places and make a few overseas people happy.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 8, 2012, 10:57 PM
I will agree that, some people are not skilled enough to learn a language, but many seem to give up before they even try.
If I where to sit down and learn it i'd have to buckle down and to do that would mean to treat it like how I learned Spanish in school...which would take time.....

:o

So can I do it?
Perhaps...
Does time justify it?
Probably not...

Because except for the occasional convo I have with a Japanese person that knowledge would only be used for one thing.... (unless I just happened to move to japan or something)

Fafnir
Jul 8, 2012, 11:00 PM
Well, first off, I'd be completely for just releasing an option to change the text to English. It would cost next to nothing (especially if, as stated earlier, Sega took the translation from *those* guys), while properly opening up the game to an international audience, and we wouldn't have to deal with Sega not properly caring for international server. Everyone wins. Well, except perhaps for the poor army of interns who have to do all the monkey work.

I, for one, know that I would almost instantly be willing to spend a fair bit of money on the game. But until an official English release of some kind comes out, I can't justify spending any money on it.

As for the suggestion of 'simply learning Japanese,' I would have to harshly reject such an idea. First of all, if I were to pick a new language to learn, Japanese would not be it (I'd probably jump on Russian, they have some of the best writers), and even then, I, and I would assume others, are certainly in no position to 'simply' learn a new language.

Geistritter
Jul 8, 2012, 11:03 PM
Hell, they wouldn't have to hire interns, for the most part; strike an agreement with the aforementioned those guys to make their work officially supported, make it clear they're not getting a dime out of it (or heck, pay them if you want, but most would do it for free), and go over their work with a comb when they send it in and adapt it as you please. It doesn't have to be evil just because you didn't get the idea first, or didn't steal it later.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 8, 2012, 11:09 PM

the lols wont stop dawg the lols wont stop

level 1 rares on accident

lilibat
Jul 8, 2012, 11:10 PM
I, for one, know that I would almost instantly be willing to spend a fair bit of money on the game. But until an official English release of some kind comes out, I can't justify spending any money on it.

I would as well. I'd get a premium as soon as I could with an English translation if nothing else to support the game. I can't justify throwing money at it until I can fully enjoy it though.

mctastee
Jul 8, 2012, 11:13 PM

Same, but probably for a different reason. I would actually like to play with japanese players. I just wanna know how different it would be to play a game with a japanese person rather than an english speaking person.

mhjc
Jul 8, 2012, 11:19 PM
Same, but probably for a different reason. I would actually like to play with japanese players. I just wanna know how different it would be to play a game with a japanese person rather than an english speaking person.

It isn't very different. In my experience though, Japanese are fairly shy and don't like to break the ice; so they remain quiet until you mention something.

The skill level is different in most cases, but that could be because I'm playing with the 40MPA groups, which Arika mentioned were the ones that have general knowledge of the game.

Spellbinder
Jul 8, 2012, 11:20 PM

It's been a hoot and a half for me. :bday: Although it may because we're talking on skype while we play.

It's no exaggeration to say playing PSO way, way back in 2000 is a big reason in why 12 years later I'm living in Japan looking for employment.

DemonMike
Jul 8, 2012, 11:25 PM
It isn't very different. In my experience though, Japanese are fairly shy and don't like to break the ice; so they remain quiet until you mention something.

Agreed. Luckily, I have a pretty ridiculous autoword set up for when the quest is cleared that usually opens up a conversation or a kick from the party because "WHITE PIG NOT WELCOME".

Geistritter
Jul 8, 2012, 11:26 PM
The Japanese are indeed pretty shy, and we seem to make them uncomfortable, if not necessarily in a bad way. They'll often keep quiet with the assumption that there's going to be a language barrier, but they're typically not unfriendly if you do open communications with them.

The Walrus
Jul 8, 2012, 11:34 PM
Yeah really they're prolly just as nervous about dealing with someone that doesn't speak their language as we are. That said it's pretty easy to work with them in my experience.

Razeiq
Jul 8, 2012, 11:34 PM
I would love to be able to learn japanese, but I lack the ability to learn such things. Until I could be directed to a credible location to learn it I am out of luck. The local colleges do not offer that as a language where I am from, so it isn't an option. If it were an option I would have done it a good while ago. Are there any really good websites that I could learn some basics from?

gigawuts
Jul 8, 2012, 11:39 PM
Jumping up and down is my go-to communication method. It lets me tell players:
Follow me
Thanks for the heal
Help I'm dying
Hey I found a rare
Hey I noticed you're dead but my moons won't work what the hell

Scarlet_Rain
Jul 8, 2012, 11:45 PM

^ this would be just dandy.

Geistritter
I would love to be able to learn japanese, but I lack the ability to learn such things. Until I could be directed to a credible location to learn it I am out of luck. The local colleges do not offer that as a language where I am from, so it isn't an option. If it were an option I would have done it a good while ago. Are there any really good websites that I could learn some basics from?

You're better off teaching yourself through repetition and exposure, honestly. In the realm of Katakana, the set of characters used to indicate sounds and words taken from other languages, like English, I've forced myself to look up everything I can't read, sound it out, and draw conclusions as to what it's supposed to say.

To be fair, I know a lot about the Japanese accent, as well as their grammar and sentence structure, so I have an easier time making sense of what's supposed to be meant (ストライク, or "su-to-ra-i-ku" would be "strike", for example) but I didn't formally study that either; that was also exposure. I've learned a few interesting things, and it's been quite gratifying.

Granted, I'm a freaking nerd and find learning fun, so yeah.

DTwO
I have no trouble at all,i have some autowords with basic sayings.Most of the time ill use google translate to talk to them.

Even when i dont talk to them,they still communicate when a code is around and most of the time,they will try to speak a little.For example "Thank u" or "Good Job"

Ive had nothing but great encounters.Many more to come*raises his glass*

mhjc
Jul 8, 2012, 11:46 PM
I have an English name and Japanese players are always talking to me out of the blue..Maybe they read player I.D's more than C.N's?

Also, I've seen a few ENG and JP players get along just fine with just lobby animations/dancing/jumping up and down next to each other. It makes for pretty funny multipartying.

I find this to be valid. I'm generally shunned until I start speaking Japanese. I've seen various account names, and mine sticks out since it looks incomprehensible when compared to their account names.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 8, 2012, 11:47 PM
Most Japanese players I played with lately only knew a little english but it was enough to enjoy each others company :)

One even sent me their card :)

sugarFO
Jul 8, 2012, 11:57 PM
Most Japanese players I played with lately only knew a little english but it was enough to enjoy each others company :)

One even sent me their card :)

Me too! He surprised me by coming into my room today. ^^

nilihanth
Jul 9, 2012, 12:06 AM
I'll just throw my quick bit in for good measure:

--I am very much enjoying PSO2 and plan on sticking with it unless a separate US release comes out.
-----I should also mention that, if an English version hits the PS Vita, I will do my darndest to afford one + the game.
--I don't understand a lick of Japanese.
-----This will prevent me from spending any $$
-----I don't mind making an effort to learn some Japanese as I go but time is a precious commodity so I doubt any learning would be done speedily enough to do me any good in-game. I shall see, I suppose.
--I would be even happier simply with menu text translations. Story comes second, but would be nice (subtitles I mean, not voices.)
-----I know text localization is not a terribly expensive endeavor as I have 8+ years experience in the software industry.

heylookapanda
Jul 9, 2012, 12:27 AM
Also, my 2 cents. SEGA is great at making games that are fun and original. However, they are notoriously completely out of touch with their fans and playerbase. PSO2 is absolutely my favorite game right now. But I've always had a sinking paranoia that SEGA is going to end up effing it up, whether it is in regards to an English language option, AC, or keeping NA from playing the JP version. Or any other surprise happening. I really hope PSO2 has worldwide success, I think it deserves it as far as gameplay and graphics go.

I couldn't agree with you more. I playd the original Phantasy Star single player games, never played PSO, but I was reintroduced to PSU and enjoyed it a little. After all the hype about how great PSO was, I had downloaded PSO2 in hopes that I could get a taste for the PSO greatness. I already really enjoy the game, but sadly my friends decided not to play due to the complications getting Arks Cash. :( Need some more friends to play with!

Halcyote
Jul 9, 2012, 12:27 AM
the main problem i see with people in the non-japanese pso community these days are the folk who demand that there be an english version immediately and there needs to be an english patch right now on their japanese game.

this game wasn't meant for us. but all those who are here need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around the english language or europe/north america/australia. sega as of right now will not give one inkling of a microbe of a shit to cater to the ethnocentrism of the english speaking pso fanbase and those fans will deal with that or not play the game. it's that simple.

my proficiency to learn languages is sort of bad these days, but i am going to make the attempt to learn japanese as well as a couple of other languages since i don't have much else to do currently.

heylookapanda
Jul 9, 2012, 12:35 AM
the main problem i see with people in the non-japanese pso community these days are the folk who demand that there be an english version immediately and there needs to be an english patch right now on their japanese game.

this game wasn't meant for us. but all those who are here need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around the english language or europe/north america/australia. sega as of right now will not give one inkling of a microbe of a shit to cater to the ethnocentrism of the english speaking pso fanbase and those fans will deal with that or not play the game. it's that simple.

The people demanding it are in the wrong. Yes, it would be nice to have it, but most of us would just really appreciate the English. We will all continue playing, regardless of it being in Japanese. At least I know I will :)

Halcyote
Jul 9, 2012, 12:38 AM
The people demanding it are in the wrong. Yes, it would be nice to have it, but most of us would just really appreciate the English. We will all continue playing, regardless of it being in Japanese. At least I know I will :)
honestly, if people didn't have issues actually wanting to look up information from time to time with the multitude of guides out there i would probably not give a topic like this any serious thought.

but i've seen people actually play the game and then whine about how there needs to be an english patch because they don't know how to log out.

Snitch
Jul 9, 2012, 12:42 AM
What you do not know, you can learn :D

Im happy on ther jp pso2 now. and Im hoping they just give out a simple client translation. So we continue on same servers.

Anyway grats on post :D Old timer :P

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 12:46 AM
Let's be honest here.

You're not even interested in the story. You only want those rare weapons and to shop around. How else can you dance in style...?

Fortunately, you require no Japanese proficiency while shopping around as the item has a mini icon in the shop menu. Additionally, the menus are very easy to memorize.

Fafnir
Jul 9, 2012, 01:00 AM

For what it's worth, it didn't help that Sega went and changed things around so that the mod by those people was rendered invalid.

The thing to keep in mind is that the people demanding an English version immediately aren't entirely in the wrong, considering that there already is one. Sega just doesn't want you to use it.

(of course, it's worth noting that the changes that invalidated the old English mod were likely made for security reasons, but there's no reason why Sega can't work with that community to create a working translated option at little or no cost in a very short time frame)

mhjc
Jul 9, 2012, 01:20 AM
For what it's worth, it didn't help that Sega went and changed things around so that the mod by those people was rendered invalid.

The thing to keep in mind is that the people demanding an English version immediately aren't entirely in the wrong, considering that there already is one. Sega just doesn't want you to use it.

(of course, it's worth noting that the changes that invalidated the old English mod were likely made for security reasons, but there's no reason why Sega can't work with that community to create a working translated option at little or no cost in a very short time frame)

Yes, there are reasons why SEGA can't work with them, but it is mainly a "won't" work with them scenario.

-Time and resources
If they officially support something, they'd have to make sure it is compatible each time, and working with a group of people who aren't on your schedule or allowing their code to work through GG, is something they don't want to bother with. There's no point for them when they have to answer to their intended market who want less lag and more updates.
You can be sure their priorities are for stability and updates at this point.
It is also quite possible they are considering more server expansion, so supporting an English patch is something dead last on the list, if they are even considering it.

-Trust
Even if the code is safe, I'm sure SEGA won't feel safe in allowing it to do what it does. They don't know the people, and they won't bother taking time to see to it.

-Little to no cost
Mostly false, they'd still have to take time out of their busy schedule and still allocate resources, and it would still eat up more than "little" time. They'd want some polishing to be done and not have it look like shit instead of releasing it as is.

May0
Jul 9, 2012, 01:24 AM
As someone with a wide range of tastes in games I wouldn't be devastated if PSO2 didn't see an English release, but the truth of the matter is a lot of my friends aren't nearly as dedicated to the phantasy star series as I am so I don't want to force them into the realm of moonspeak that is Japanese only PSO2. Save my friends, I find myself hard pressed to rationalize getting into PSO2 as there are better games than PSO2 right now that don't have language barriers and have more to offer. These same things can be said for a lot of games but I digress...

Now I want PSO2 to succeed as a game as its a franchise I hold dear and have invested more time than I care to admit into it. At the same time as a consumer I have to look out for my best interests. Mainly-If the game isn't localized for the states its not really geared for me. I'll wait for Sega to localize it. If they don't then they won't get my money.

Naturally I don't think there's anything wrong with getting onto the Japanese server if you're wherever else outside of Japan. If you can buy arc points or whatever they're called I encourage you to do so. I couldn't rationalize playing the game as is, let alone paying anything into it myself for the game until its localized.

Skye-Fox713
Jul 9, 2012, 01:47 AM

This is fairly close to how I feel.

one thing i would really really like is the ability to copy/paste item names, so i can copy them into player shop search, I'm surprised how many items are hidden when just searching by category, like Saturday night, if you searched for 9* rifles, there was only one Denian Gun on the market, but if you went so far as to type ディブルカーン into the search, there were 4, including 2 that were cheaper then the one in the wide search+^_^+ On the plus side, I'm learning a bit of kana using the lexilogos keyboard to narrow searches down and landed a very good alba laser with awesome affixes for dirt cheap+^_^+

This very much so, though now that I found the JP PSO2 wiki that should help a lot with that.

Some people are not skilled enough to learn the language. We can all try, but only a select few will actually be able to read it rather than just try to remember that 2 lines down in this menu happens to be armor.

This right here is pretty much how I navigate through the game at the moment. In addition to the universal readability of the in game main menu icons for the most part.

Indeed I have to agree there.

It's worth clarifying that I'd love to see this game do well, partly because it's actually a freaking game, something the western online RPG market is sorely lacking in my opinion. The closest we've come that I've played was City of Heroes, and even that was mostly "stand around pressing keys and wait until the random number generator kills you or the other guy" in the end. A notable Korean example was Mabinogi Heroes (Vindictus in North America), a hilariously fun action game with destructible physics and delightfully brutal gameplay. There is nothing more shockingly amusing than bludgeoning an enemy in the head and sending him flying across the room, and then seeing his ragdoll body crash into a pillar, smashing it into dozens of pieces which then tumble onto and kill his allies.

And then using those pieces to beat his remaining allies to death.

I still remember the time I smacked the Big Red cheif out of the park on the killing blow with a shield bash on my fiona.

Lastly OFT right here. This is the most I ask of Sega atm just a simple text translation of the menus, items, missions, etc. Heck if they ran all the game text through Google Translate then packaged it all up and sent it out as an english patch to change in the language options I'd be 100% perfectly satisfied with the game. I'm not kidding with this I've officaly dropped all other games that I was playing even if there was a chance of "all your base are belong to us" every so often I wouldn't care.

Halcyote
Jul 9, 2012, 01:52 AM
honestly, as much as i appreciate the work that community does, do you think they really acknowledge their non-japanese playerbase in such a manner that they would want to work with them just to give an english translation? i don't know very many game companies that would actually do such a thing but i'm pretty sure sega is not one of them.

sega is clearly aware that there's a decent population of non-japanese based players on jp-pso2, but they aren't going to cater to them and they shouldn't be expected to when they have separate branches to supposedly do that for them.

BogusKun
Jul 9, 2012, 03:06 AM
Now westerners can celebrate... as the game has been confirmed in our language (^_^)v

X-thirteen
Jul 9, 2012, 03:40 AM
I don't see why Sega doesn't want to make more money, they are a business.
The game is done, how can a translation take until spring? Didn't a some modders make a translation for the closed beta?

Wolfgrey666
Jul 9, 2012, 03:50 AM
Now westerners can celebrate... as the game has been confirmed in our language (^_^)v

Wait what?

Darki
Jul 9, 2012, 03:59 AM
The reason they can't just open the servers for everybody in the world I suspect is not related to xenophobia or egocentrism, probably not even directly related to money, but actually, marketing.

if it's already troublesome to carry books over other countries just because of the royalties and shits like that, I'm pretty sure things are even more troublesome with digital media, even if that's actually easier to manage in terms of accesibility.

Sega surely wouldn't care a shit about having the servers global, it's proven that we can play there without much problems. They'd just need to put maybe a couple more ships to allow for more players that aren't playing right now due to the language barrier. But I'm sure there's some marketing bulshit that makes it more difficult than we think.

gigawuts
Jul 9, 2012, 05:24 AM
Wait what?

Just saw it myself

http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-international-release-in-spring-2013/

Also this http://www.pso-world.com/news/02455-sega-officially-announces-western-release-pso2-2013

atrimiselgnacra
Jul 9, 2012, 05:44 AM
Frankly I could care less about the game having english voice overs. All I'd like is english text. Yes, I love the game enough to try and learn some japanese to be able to play it well enough, but just like when I lived in florida, and I wasn't going to learn spanish, just to speak to the migrant workers that refuse to learn english, I'm not going to demand that they make this game english in any way. I've invaded their "land" (so to speak) so I'm going to learn their language.

Oh and if you ask me, they should take a page from Final Fantasy XI. English and Japanese players play side by side, and they have a "quick chat" function that allows things you say to be translated into the other language. It works well enough to form groups for any of the dungeons, and I've even been able to get specific items in trades with it. All and all, it could work here as well. just my two cents.

kantaris
Jul 9, 2012, 05:57 AM
Oh and if you ask me, they should take a page from Final Fantasy XI. English and Japanese players play side by side, and they have a "quick chat" function that allows things you say to be translated into the other language. It works well enough to form groups for any of the dungeons, and I've even been able to get specific items in trades with it. All and all, it could work here as well. just my two cents.

Didn't they have the same thing in PSO? You could choose your region for ships or something like that. I learned that the Japanese playing there didn't pick up your weapon and Meseta and dash off.

atrimiselgnacra
Jul 9, 2012, 06:04 AM
Didn't they have the same thing in PSO? You could choose your region for ships or something like that. I learned that the Japanese playing there didn't pick up your weapon and Meseta and dash off.

I... never really played PSO actually online. The few times I did go online I was hacked, so it wasn't until PSU that I went online, and then it was at the start, on the PS2 version, before hacking out the wazoo, and because I didn't have an xbox 360. I stopped playing PSU because I didn't like the partner machine/crafting feature. Yea it was a cool concept, having to hunt down not only the board and the mats for your rarest weapons, but frankly, I'd rather kill an enemy 1000 times for my weapon, instead of having the chance of the board breaking because you PM wasn't leveled exactly right... Also I missed mags.

elken1996
Jul 9, 2012, 07:35 AM
Sometime people like my friend who just quit 2 days are just too lazy to read those ENGLISH guide, while they are complaining they cant understand japanese

scorpio4484
Jul 9, 2012, 08:11 AM

Serious? Were gonna resort to blaming Americans for not having people learn more then one language? 90% of Americans speak English,

WTF would I decide to wake up and learn Japanese? So I could play some video games that I cant wait a few months to play in English? ROFL that is sad

NoiseHERO
Jul 9, 2012, 08:18 AM
>Don't need to know ANY Japanese to play and enjoy this game

>Argue that it being in another language makes it unplayable anyway

>Reasoning mostly consists of things that even a lazy person can easily deal with.

>People make the discussion more complicated by saying "you should learn Japanese anyway"

>Endless loop of complaining, arguing and excuses instead of just playing the game with said free time that could be put into "dealing with the language barrier".

>Rock is still massively confused while he continues to enjoy the game in whatever language till the english version comes out a year later, because I don't need to know how to say "where is the hospital?" In Japanese to drink a monomate.

heylookapanda
Jul 9, 2012, 09:00 AM

I use the guides myself, but it still feels like I am missing out on features that haven't been translated yet. I don't really have an issue remembering what menu is what, but it would be nice to not have to have 5 windows open in Chrome and alt tabbing back and forth to try and figure what each thing meant. Before I found pso-blog I was using wikipedia to copy/paste Kanji and translating on google translate (took me hours). I believe I put my fair share of effort into adapting to the Japanese :) While my friends were only leveling and not bothering with translators I was self translating. Was quite frustrating finding the Kanji, but you make due with what you've got right? I really just wish Sega would hear it's American fans cries for the game being global rather than having two seperate games. Even if the new content was first released in Japanese and translated later, I do believe we as players would be fine with waiting on our translations as long as we had our menus translated and the quests released prior to. It's not like we don't have extremely dedicated PSO2 translators working round the clock to update us. Such wonderful people :D