PDA

View Full Version : My Ranger is going the unique route

Wolfgrey666
Jul 8, 2012, 11:27 PM
Well those on mumbler(the same mumbler in the community chat section) already know what i am attempting to work on and see to the end of, so i thought i would share it with the people here at pso-world.

What i am trying to do is find the viability of the traps in the ranger skill tree.Atm the moment i have put 2 into tool mastery and 3 into upper trap.And of course i have my req 3 points of ability up before that. Here is what i found using the Crystal Worm's(the cave's first boss before the vol dragon) weakspots as the base for my damage.One upper trap explodes 3 times then is gone.You can carry 10.

At level 14 i had less skill points of course invested and only the base 1 in tool mastery, 1 in upper trap, and one into upper trap custom. One upper trap would do 3 bursts of damage doing over 300 damage.10 traps is over 10000 damage.

I leveled to 15 and put one point into it.I was doing over 400 damage with each burst.That is with 10 traps over 12000 damage at the least.

I am lvl 19 now and with my current skill setup i do over 700 damage per burst.That is 21000 damage with 10 traps. I was in a party but we had 3 worms spawn.I still had 2 traps left after helping kill 2 of the worms.

This is serious damage.Without Weak Bullet.

However on vol dragon at 17 i think, i was doing about 400 damage a burst to his face(his weakpoint?) so it varies on the monster. However this lack of higher damage may be due to my lack more levels of ability on my mag or more points into ability up.That and i started investing into other things.If i had kept at my route with traps i may very well had much more damage on his face.

I am working hard to work on my skill tree to find out the extent of the trap power.

But certainly do not put traps off as weak. Try imagining Weak Bullet alongside upper traps with the kind of damage i am putting out right now.

However poison works well in this game so i am EAGER to test out poison traps and how they work.

But i might keep this skill tree as weak bullet and upper trap only while buying another to work on poison and other effects.A status ranger so to speak, while the former is based on high burst damage.

Anyway what are your thoughts fine folks and fellow rangers?

I will continue to post my progress as i go and test other bosses at my level ranges by request.I am by no means someone who can gather the data for a FAQ but at least i can give you guys a general idea of their capabilities.

Sp-24
Jul 8, 2012, 11:42 PM
This is pretty interesting so far, very nice job. Try doing the emergency quest where Dark Ragne is the boss, or find one in the other quest and see how much damage does that trap do when it's stunned. I'll be looking forward to more info on this, since yes, traps do look completely useless when they sit at the ends of the skill tree's branches.

As for Poison Trap, You'll need to compare it to a weapon that has a Posion ability. I assume that Poison Trap has a 100% activation rate, so it should be somewhat nice already, but it still may be useless if you can get the same damage and duration from your weapon without spending any skill points.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 8, 2012, 11:45 PM
iirc i tested poison trap and against bosses, it does not have a 100% proc rate.

traps are a pain in the asshole, but i give you kudos for trying to do something different. i messed with them enough in closed beta to realize, imo, traps are shit and a waste of time/meseta. but there's a -slim- chance that me and everybody else has just been messing up, and you could be the one to actually use them correctly (this sounds sarcastic but i'm being serious.)

btw, as a counter argument, you may show impressive big numbers, but what's your dps?

how long does it take to scrounge around on the ground to set a trap? and what about the times the boss completely avoids the trap simply because he doesn't go close to it, so the trap just explodes while the boss isn't anywhere close to it due to it's short lifespan?

in retrospect, while you're trying to setup traps, other rangers are constantly shooting weakpoints and turning on weakbullet which helps the team out immensely. with weak bullet on hard mode dragon horn, my sonic arrow hits for roughly 800 per hit at lvl 3 sword gear charge. that's 2400 damage. i can fire off 3 of these x3hit sonic arrows within roughly 2 seconds total. 3x2400 = 7200 within 2 seconds.

the biggest flaw with traps is their DPS. if you can find some crazy way to circumvent this then you're good, but you basically can't.

it just takes too long to setup traps for them to be effective in many players eyes.

now, if they were able to be instantly set up, and had maybe 50% longer lifespan, i'd probably make my ranger full trap tree+weakbullet.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 8, 2012, 11:49 PM
This is pretty interesting so far, very nice job. Try doing the emergency quest where Dark Ragne is the boss, or find one in the other quest and see how much damage does that trap do when it's stunned. I'll be looking forward to more info on this, since yes, traps do look completely useless when they sit at the ends of the skill tree's branches.

As for Poison Trap, You'll need to compare it to a weapon that has a Posion ability. I assume that Poison Trap has a 100% activation rate, so it should be somewhat nice already, but it still may be useless if you can get the same damage and duration from your weapon without spending any skill points.

Well i did fight a Dark Ragne during the city quest at about 16 or so(might be 17), i did about 400-500 damage. But he moved quite abit and was hard to keep track of my numbers.

As for the poison trap "mastery" it ups the possibility of being poisoned with each skill point. I am not sure how effective it will be at lvl 1 but that is also why i am going to get this when i am lvl 40 with a new skill tree.That way i can test it on all bosses at each lvl of mastery.

I don't mind screwing myself over for data.I love obscure abilities people wouldn't think to use, especially when they turn out to be ALOT more effective than people think.

What i would like is to team up with a person who specs in weak bullet and use the two together(weak bullet and my upper traps) to see what the damage will be.I am very curious.

In fact if anyone here would like to help me, that would be awesome.Just if you already have weak bullet anyway.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 8, 2012, 11:52 PM
iirc i tested poison trap and against bosses, it does not have a 100% proc rate.

traps are a pain in the asshole, but i give you kudos for trying to do something different. i messed with them enough in closed beta to realize, imo, traps are shit and a waste of time/meseta. but there's a -slim- chance that me and everybody else has just been messing up, and you could be the one to actually use them correctly (this sounds sarcastic but i'm being serious.)

Well speaking it has been destroying bosses at my level and 2000 meseta is chump change, i am not worried about it being a waste of time.

I am dedicated to the cause.Besides if you simply think of it was something that you use alongside your already given skills on your guns, it is worth it.

Though i think the quick thinking to use them in conjunction with other skills or combos will make or break them.

I am happy to sacrifice my skill tree to find out.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 8, 2012, 11:57 PM
also wolfgrey, is it easy to hit weakbullet spots on weakspots of bosses with traps? or can you only hit weakbullet spots on boss limbs such as feet or hands or main body with traps?

the whole reason weakbullet is so strong is because it multiplies with a weakspot already on the boss. if you need a weak bullet to be wasted and put on a part of a boss that isn't even a weakspot, in order for your traps to hit it, that would be incredibly counterproductive to all of your other teammates. they would be able to do far more damage if the weakbullet was shot at a weakpoint on a boss. much more damage than say at max, two of your traps (weak bullet life span is probably only long enough for two traps to be set off on it at best. realistically i see only setting one trap off on a weak spot most of the time)

i suppose you do have some hope however. launchers in closed beta/open beta were incredibly broken. divine launcher i think only cost 30pp, it's splash reach was huge (including it's regular attack) and damage was high. so launchers got nerfed pretty significantly.

perhaps going with that flow, traps were buffed. because the general consensus (everybody, really,) was that traps reeeeeeally sucked and have little or no use other than for fun.

and in accordance with what i was saying earlier, you should time how long it takes for you to set off say, 5 traps, to strengthen your argument on the damage potential of traps. but even then, you have to modify that result, because it's not like you'll be firing all traps off the instant you set them, and there will be some cases where your trap has completely missed.

and seeing how traps are burst damage, even missing one trap takes a huge chunk out of your DPS.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 9, 2012, 12:06 AM
also wolfgrey, is it easy to hit weakbullet spots on weakspots of bosses with traps? or can you only hit weakbullet spots on boss limbs such as feet or hands or main body with traps?

the whole reason weakbullet is so strong is because it multiplies with a weakspot already on the boss. if you need a weak bullet to be wasted and put on a part of a boss that isn't even a weakspot, in order for your traps to hit it, that would be incredibly counterproductive to all of your other teammates. they would be able to do far more damage if the weakbullet was shot at a weakpoint on a boss. much more damage than say at max, two of your traps (weak bullet life span is probably only long enough for two traps to be set off on it at best. realistically i see only setting one trap off on a weak spot most of the time)

It is pretty easy to hit weak spots with traps.At least from use on the dark ragna,worm,vol dragon, and ant lion. You just simply predict their movement pattern in a 2 second space in order to make sure you can still hit that spot consistently.Anyone who has played monster hunter for a decent while or similar games should have no problem utilizing it.

It takes about .75 of a second to place a trap then it has about a half second delay to be armed.Then you can detonate it instantly. Traps also have a gauge that depletes on it's own over time if you don't detonate it.It lasts for a decent amount of time allowing you to put one down before hand and triggering it at the right time.

If it helps when the vol dragon's tail got broken i could easily lay down and detonate about 4-6 traps depending before he could move about again.Well as long as i get there fast enough from having shot the tail to make him fall over in the first place.

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 12:06 AM

Hitting the existing weakpoint isn't always the best place to Weak Shot an enemy; they're often difficult to hit at all times, especially for Hunters, and one can sometimes find themselves better off going for another, more accessible spot. Besides, you increase your drops off of breaking enemy parts, which aren't always weak points either.

As for the overall discussion, the current data for Upper Trap doesn't justify the skill point usage; even at the level you're at, the damage is questionable. I'd be interested to see how it pans out at high levels, but right now I see no reason to take them.

I find poison traps similarly without use; while it can be infuriatingly expensive, one can put Poison onto a weapon for a similar effect, and the results can be quite impressive while also allowing one to distribute their skill points elsewhere.

Someone had to experiment, so I tip the proverbial hat to you for biting the bullet, but I'm just as convinced as before that traps are wasted skill points at this time.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 9, 2012, 12:13 AM
Hitting the existing weakpoint isn't always the best place to Weak Shot an enemy; they're often difficult to hit at all times, especially for Hunters, and one can sometimes find themselves better off going for another, more accessible spot. Besides, you increase your drops off of breaking enemy parts, which aren't always weak points either.

As for the overall discussion, the current data for Upper Trap doesn't justify the skill point usage; even at the level you're at, the damage is questionable. I'd be interested to see how it pans out at high levels, but right now I see no reason to take them.

I find poison traps similarly without use; while it can be infuriatingly expensive, one can put Poison onto a weapon for a similar effect, and the results can be quite impressive while also allowing one to distribute their skill points elsewhere.

Someone had to experiment, so I tip the proverbial hat to you for biting the bullet, but I'm just as convinced as before that traps are wasted skill points at this time.

No worries i will stick with it.I actually am enjoying traps quite a lot.I wish i could bring more.

Thanks for the tip of the hat.Even if it ends up being a goose chase, it is a very fun goose chase that i don't mind doing. At worst i can pay to respec or simply buy another skill tree.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 9, 2012, 12:27 AM

i can 50/50 agree/disagree with you. if a hunter is experienced and is playing properly, any part of a boss mob should be able to be hit with ease. i like to practice soloing bosses and it's rather easy to reach and hit boss weak spots with either sword or partisan. it is admittedly difficult to hit them with wired lance, however most hunters switch to partisan or sword when fighting a boss.

examples of bosses and why their weak points are easy to hit. add "the hunter must guard/dodge accordingly in order to stay close to the weakpoint" to almost all of them:

rock bear: face
dark ragne: back of head (this sounds difficult but it's not. if you're facing him and he's aggro'd on to you, he'll generally try to melee you. guard it/dodge underneath him, and jump> use sword's risng edge/partisan trick weave to hit weakspot. it looks like it shouldn't hit the back of his head but it does with ease and little aiming)
vol dragon: horn, easily explainable enough. sometimes he'll do attacks but you just have to just guard them or dodge to the side of his head and use trick rave/rising edge on his horns.
mammoth: all of his attacks are easy reads / guards. they also don't really hit you if you wish to dodge behind him. hug his side and jump> use trick rave/risng edge and you'll hit it's weak spot with ease
panther: face is weakspot. self explantory

so when you say it's difficult for hunters to hit at all times, you're probably referring to the fact that weakspots are generally in the front of the boss, where bosses also tend to attack the most. so at that point, it's just a question of the hunter's experience with the boss.

but i absolutely agree with you on it not being always a wise idea to weakbullet a weakspot. particularly, with the accordian dragon and dark ragne. if done correctly dark ragne can be pulled into a "collapsed state" loop, if a ranger targets one leg, then the other, then the other, etc. and if you break the accordian dragon's tail, it unveils a weakspot that can always be hit.

but your argument on hunters and how its difficult for them to continuously attack weakspots is only true if the hunter is inexperienced.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
Well i was doing free desert and we ran into a ant lion , one of my multiparty members placed weak bullet on him and i went trap crazy.I am not sure if i simply crit like mad at the time or what.

2500 average on each burst.That was 7500 per a trap.Jeezus.

Lvl 21 btw with 3 into tool mastery and 3(might be 4) into upper trap.

And for the person who asked , i faced a Dark Ragna and was doing nearly 800 a burst on it's weak spot.2400 a trap pretty much.

Sp-24
Jul 10, 2012, 05:04 AM
Interesting. Does Upper Trap use any of your Attack stats, has its own, or depends on your level, Ability stat, or something like that?

I ask that as if I know what I'm talking about, but I have yet to find a video of Upper Trap being used, to see what is it, at the very least.

NoiseHERO
Jul 10, 2012, 06:17 AM
That is awesome

It definitely sounds more interesting and unique than just jumping right into weakbullet like EVVEERRRYYYOONNEEE else.

Sp-24
Jul 10, 2012, 06:36 AM
Best thing is, after maxing out Tool Mastery and Upper Trap Custom, you still have enough SP for Lv.6 Weak Bullet!

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
Interesting. Does Upper Trap use any of your Attack stats, has its own, or depends on your level, Ability stat, or something like that?

I ask that as if I know what I'm talking about, but I have yet to find a video of Upper Trap being used, to see what is it, at the very least.

From what i have seen and been told, it seems it works off the ability stat.Though it is still speculation at this point.

Upper Trap is a trap that you can place down and then detonate.It then explodes 3 times.The height of the flare is taller than dark ragna himself.

Ill see if i can use fraps and make a vid showing it off.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
Here ya go.A vid from me showing traps.Once the maint is over ill do more vids using them against different bosses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGSAFgCWSA&list=UUYR1KI2NzFjJkiHNXEUuNMw&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGSAFgCWSA&list=UUYR1KI2NzFjJkiHNXEUuNMw&index=1&feature=plcp

Scarlet_Rain
Jul 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
omg i'd love to see spammed trap against an antlions belly with weak bullet applied ^^

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 05:51 PM
omg i'd love to see spammed trap against an antlions belly with weak bullet applied ^^

Well i hit over 2k on a ant lion already with weak bulllet applied on it's belly.Not sure if it was luck or if it was consistent crits.

I will however make a new vid of me doing so after maint is over.I already plan to do so for vol dragon,ant lion, and the worm(screw his long name he will remain the worm).

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
That is awesome

It definitely sounds more interesting and unique than just jumping right into weakbullet like EVVEERRRYYYOONNEEE else.

rock is a hipster

@ the trap video

what the hell, they decreased the time it takes to set/arm a trap by a huge amount. it was way longer in closed beta. you could also set more than one, but by the time you finished setting one, the other's time would almost be up anyway.

once you get a new skill tree, can you show how long it takes to set a poison trap? or does it take the same amount of time as an upper trap?

but yeah, seeing how fast traps are set now, most of my doubts are cleared about whether or not traps can be successful. especially because you can do the upper trap chaining. it's fun, but i still wouldn't do it since i'm stingy and i like saving all my mesetas

Scionni
Jul 10, 2012, 08:39 PM
Very nice! Do the traps juggle a victim until the third burst is up? If so, would this mean I could set down that continuous loop of traps you were talking about in your video and keep a mob or mobs juggled within those explosions?

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
rock is a hipster

@ the trap video

what the hell, they decreased the time it takes to set/arm a trap by a huge amount. it was way longer in closed beta. you could also set more than one, but by the time you finished setting one, the other's time would almost be up anyway.

can you show how long it takes to set a poison trap? or does it take the same amount of time as an upper trap?

but yeah, seeing how fast traps are set now, most of my doubts are cleared about whether or not traps can be successful. especially because you can do the upper trap chaining. it's fun, but i still wouldn't do it since i'm stingy and i like saving all my mesetas

2000 meseta per 10 traps isn't much at all.And well worth it.

As for poison traps they take a long time to get to through the skill tree.I intend to buy a second skill tree just for this purpose.Gonna be my status ranger build.The former is my burst damage build.

Very nice! Do the traps juggle a victim until the third burst is up? If so, would this mean I could set down that continuous loop of traps you were talking about in your video and keep a mob or mobs juggled within those explosions?

I am so used to using them on bosses i usually don't use them on mobs.But however i have seen some of those little sharks get juggled by it.But they die by the second burst.

However...i assume if they had more life it would be quite possible.I am not sure how effective it is against larger enemies in juggling but smaller enemies certainly so.

If you like ill attempt said juggling in the desert in a new video i can make of my own alongside the boss trapping videos.

Just remember you can only carry 10 before you head back to town(and hitting a small monsters weak point precisely with a trap is much harder so less damage per burst).Up to you though.

Scionni
Jul 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
I am so used to using them on bosses i usually don't use them on mobs.But however i have seen some of those little sharks get juggled by it.But they die by the second burst.

However...i assume if they had more life it would be quite possible.I am not sure how effective it is against larger enemies in juggling but smaller enemies certainly so.

If you like ill attempt said juggling in the desert in a new video i can make of my own alongside the boss trapping videos.

Just remember you can only carry 10 before you head back to town(and hitting a small monsters weak point precisely with a trap is much harder so less damage per burst).Up to you though.

I was thinking of juggling the higher tier darkers like the breeders and the guwandas, since normally they're a pain in the ass to manage alone and the breeders at least can cause alot of chaos if not properly crowd controlled. It would be great if you could do a video on those.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
I was thinking of juggling the higher tier darkers like the breeders and the guwandas, since normally they're a pain in the ass to manage alone and the breeders at least can cause alot of chaos if not properly crowd controlled. It would be great if you could do a video on those.

You mean those flying weird egg shaped things that spawn creatures? And the those flying blade darkers? They are quite common in the desert so i could give it a try.

Didnt realize their names :D

Kion
Jul 10, 2012, 10:12 PM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18307477

Just watch and try not to piss your pants.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18307477

Just watch and try not to piss your pants.

my weeaboo levels aren't high enough for a nico account :(

is it on youtube?

jk i can't kid myself out of truth.

this video is legit. if you don't have a niconico, this is what happens

ranger breaks ragne leg, ragne falls down, weak shots ragne's weak point, starts upper chaining and does ~6k damage each hit, once he runs out of traps he finishes it off with one point and wins the game.

this is so broken i'm wondering if they'll nerf it lol.

they probably found that traps were broken so they nerfed it for pso2, but then it was so nerfed (plant time was so stupid long) they unnerfed it, and now it looks broken again

this is awesome brb jumping on the bandwagon before it gets too popular, killing a boss that fast is worth 2k meseta

Kion
Jul 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
if it were i would have posted it. You can log into niconico with facebook now.

*uploading to youtube right now. will be done in 5 minutes.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
my weeaboo levels aren't high enough for a nico account :(

is it on youtube?

jk i can't kid myself out of truth.

this video is legit. if you don't have a niconico, this is what happens

ranger breaks ragne leg, ragne falls down, weak shots ragne's weak point, starts upper chaining and does ~6k damage each hit, once he runs out of traps he finishes it off with one point and wins the game.

this is so broken i'm wondering if they'll nerf it lol.

they probably found that traps were broken so they nerfed it for pso2, but then it was so nerfed (plant time was so stupid long) they unnerfed it, and now it looks broken again

this is awesome brb jumping on the bandwagon before it gets too popular, killing a boss that fast is worth 2k meseta

Oh dam.I hope it doesn't get nerfed, just the damage a bit. I love it being viable , just not THAT viable.

Kion
Jul 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
Okay here you go, well done dark ragne with a heaping side of rape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qWWWRTGf_0

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 10, 2012, 10:35 PM

sm18307477 ?PSO2?Ra ???????? vs?????? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qWWWRTGf_0)

good man, good man.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 11, 2012, 12:57 AM
Too much damage lol I feel like what i was trying to accomplish might become a way people speed run.*sigh* I HATE speed runs.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 11, 2012, 01:01 AM
Too much damage lol I feel like what i was trying to accomplish might become a way people speed run.*sigh* I HATE speed runs.

DID SOMEONE SAY TIME ATTACK RANKINGS??????? I CAN'T WAIT MAN

"Rangers only. Launcher rodio trip>gunslash dash cancel is a must. Upper trap required"

no but seriously. imagine 4 rangers doing that to a ragne. it'd die in 10 seconds. maybe less.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 11, 2012, 01:09 AM
DID SOMEONE SAY TIME ATTACK RANKINGS??????? I CAN'T WAIT MAN

"Rangers only. Launcher rodio trip>gunslash dash cancel is a must. Upper trap required"

no but seriously. imagine 4 rangers doing that to a ragne. it'd die in 10 seconds. maybe less.

Oh god no.Hell no in fact. XD

recursive
Jul 11, 2012, 12:50 PM

You get more loot for breaking all of the parts of the boss (legs on ragne), rushing the kill doesn't net you much gain aside from EXP

HFlowen
Jul 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'm grabbing a soul eater, that talis that all classes can use, and maxing out trap skills.

Bam, fauxtranser.

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 11, 2012, 09:14 PM

Massive Trap Damage - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qWWWRTGf_0)
so how do i reset my skill tree again? lol

DragonForce
Jul 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
so how do i reset my skill tree again? lol

$12.58

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 12:52 AM
$12.58

Lmao that sucks.

So who else has been using traps? Sorry i haven't posted more vids, took a break from the game yesterday and then maint happened today -_-

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 01:04 AM
i'm now using traps. the fun 2000 meseta provides is wonderful. it's a little difficult to coordinate the traps with weakspot when you're playing solo against bosses like dragon since you can't basic attack. so you kinda gotta coordinate your weak bullet usages with one point attacks against his tail to break it, and then make sure you have a bullet remaining to shoot his horn when he collapses.

i tried it solo against vol dragon and it worked pretty well but i also need to get used to the aoe radius of upper trap so i can accurately hit his horn when it's weak bulleted. if you're too close you'll hit his chin not his horn.

it's weird because using launchers against darkers (like the spiders/small gremlin guys with the glowing orb on their underside) works in a similar fashion. sometimes if you shoot right at them (their weak spot), you won't hit their weak spot, but shoot a bit away for them and suddenly all you do is hit their weakspot.

i feel like this game gives a certain amount of priority to hitting weakspots. depending on your range from them and some other things (when it comes to aoe splash attacks like launcher, upper trap, etc.)

i'm gonna go a hybrid kinda. i'm maxing weak bullet and tool mastery since that'll give the biggest bonus compared to maxing upper trap custom. i'm also going to max range damage +.

i'm not really sure what defines how much damage you do with traps though. atm my damage with traps is rather low. against normal mode dragon my weak shot+horn trap explosion did 1.1k, so if i maxed tool mastery it'd do like ~1.7k. if i maxed upper trap custom i guess it'd do 2.1k and that'd be awesome, but i want to max range atk 1 and weak bullet which i think will give me more variety and freedom.

i don't think i'll ever really go into poison traps though. when you do let us know how it turns out.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 01:19 AM
i'm now using traps. the fun 2000 meseta provides is wonderful. it's a little difficult to coordinate the traps with weakspot when you're playing solo against bosses like dragon since you can't basic attack. so you kinda gotta coordinate your weak bullet usages with one point attacks against his tail to break it, and then make sure you have a bullet remaining to shoot his horn when he collapses.

i tried it solo against vol dragon and it worked pretty well but i also need to get used to the aoe radius of upper trap so i can accurately hit his horn when it's weak bulleted. if you're too close you'll hit his chin not his horn.

it's weird because using launchers against darkers (like the spiders/small gremlin guys with the glowing orb on their underside) works in a similar fashion. sometimes if you shoot right at them (their weak spot), you won't hit their weak spot, but shoot a bit away for them and suddenly all you do is hit their weakspot.

i feel like this game gives a certain amount of priority to hitting weakspots. depending on your range from them and some other things (when it comes to aoe splash attacks like launcher, upper trap, etc.)

i'm gonna go a hybrid kinda. i'm maxing weak bullet and tool mastery since that'll give the biggest bonus compared to maxing upper trap custom. i'm also going to max range damage +.

i'm not really sure what defines how much damage you do with traps though. atm my damage with traps is rather low. against normal mode dragon my weak shot+horn trap explosion did 1.1k, so if i maxed tool mastery it'd do like ~1.7k. if i maxed upper trap custom i guess it'd do 2.1k and that'd be awesome, but i want to max range atk 1 and weak bullet which i think will give me more variety and freedom.

i don't think i'll ever really go into poison traps though. when you do let us know how it turns out.

Aye that i will.Im anxious to try poison traps lol. Though it still must wait.

Ya i found that out about his horn too, i had that problem honestly with my shot gun pa.Most other weak points i don't have a problem with.

It is theorized that ability affects traps but i am not sure how much of that is true.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 01:43 AM
lol so looks like we have a counter video to the trap video we're all so fond of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUaPy56J3D8&feature=player_embedded

blade m6 posted it

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 02:27 AM
lol so looks like we have a counter video to the trap video we're all so fond of

?PSO2?????Ra?????Part2??????? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUaPy56J3D8&feature=player_embedded)

blade m6 posted it

A counter but a rather boring counter i must say.XD

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 02:36 AM

?PSO2?????Ra?????Part2??????? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUaPy56J3D8&feature=player_embedded)

blade m6 posted it

Nice, nice. Those pesky rangers with their numbers. But I wonder how much would the trap do.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 02:44 AM
Nice, nice. Those pesky rangers with their numbers. But I wonder how much would the trap do.

Love to know that myself.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 02:55 AM
i'm pretty much already sure that traps will always do the highest DPS so long as they have all the circumstances perfect.

i still like traps but you definitely have to wait for the right moment to use them, compared to just firing a weak bullet and sneak shooting all day within a safe distance. this guy is lucky though, for some reason the bosses never used their "no tell" pounce. usually when you're that distance away from them they'll do it.

the only real viable opportunity to hit weakspot+weak bullet with multiple chain traps against snow panther is when he snow breaths. you could fire off one trap on him if you planted one right before he started howling probably, but it'd only be one trap.

i think hybrid ranger will give me the most entertainment

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 03:08 AM
The swipe happens a lot in some of that same player's other videos; they have one going for a break in every area, for example.

dilakri87
Jul 13, 2012, 09:27 AM

blade m6 posted it

How in the world is he doing so much damage??

Sigmund
Jul 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
So 9999 is the damage cap - interesting.

When you break off all of Banther's claws, he'll slip and be stunned for awhile after his lunging attacks. That's a good opportunity to use traps.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
It usually slips for a long distance, so catching up could be problematic.

EDIT: Right, you can stand near a wall, I guess. Problem solved.

dilakri87
Jul 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
Seriusly, what kind of sick gear you need to pull that off??

I am lv40, maxed 2 weak hit, my rifle has about 410 r-atk, all my units have shootin II and rappy soul... and i reach less than the half of that damage D:

Kion
Jul 13, 2012, 01:33 PM
Upper trap + tool mastery + upper trap custom. The thing is, for most people I wouldn't bother resetting your skill tree to adjust for traps. Other abilities like weak hit are perfectly viable, just move towards traps too as the the level gap raises. Or at least that's what i'm doing.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
Seriusly, what kind of sick gear you need to pull that off??

I am lv40, maxed 2 weak hit, my rifle has about 410 r-atk, all my units have shootin II and rappy soul... and i reach less than the half of that damage D:

i wouldn't be surprised if his gear had at least shooting 3 and ragne soul.

one thing i know he's doing though, is he's using those ultra short duration self buff items. they last for like 30 seconds but they buff your attack power considerably. and i think drinks work in terms of percentage, so he probably warped back to campship and drank shifta EX>self buff.

NoiseHERO
Jul 13, 2012, 03:48 PM
Actually the user has more videos...

In the comments of one: 9* gun 50% attribute Grinded to 10 (Not sure if other abilities) At least that's what google translate is telling me.

So pretty much that gun is god, and yeah he/she did use those item buffs probably shifta EX as well.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
Actually the user has more videos...

In the comments of one: 9* gun 50% attribute Grinded to 10 (Not sure if other abilities) At least that's what google translate is telling me.

So pretty much that gun is god, and yeah he/she did use those item buffs probably shifta EX as well.

how the fuck did he get that 9star to 50% attribute? is there an AC item that increases your element stat significantly? there probably is. i don't see him getting multiple copies of that same gun to synth since it's the rarest gun in the game/strongest gun.

NoiseHERO
Jul 13, 2012, 04:09 PM
how the fuck did he get that 9star to 50% attribute? is there an AC item that increases your element stat significantly? there probably is. i don't see him getting multiple copies of that same gun to synth since it's the rarest gun in the game/strongest gun.

That's what's throwing me off... @_@

Dinosaur
Jul 13, 2012, 04:35 PM

He probably played OB because you could get that gun for 2k back then.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
That's what's throwing me off... @_@

i checked the market and those guns go for like 250-300k a pop. he must have just farmed like a madman and done it slowly i guess. it's doable, but i think it would cost like hm.

iirc 1 weapon = 1 stat. if attributed, 2? if same stat 3?

generally they're non attributed.

so say 50% of his buys were attributed and 50% weren't, and he started with a base of 15 fire

that'd leave 35
for simplicity sake we can say he bought 11 attributed rifles at 300k and 13 regular ones at 250k

the total cost would be 6,500,000 meseta. not including the obvious souls he probably has on it, and how much it cost to get it to +9.

gigawuts
Jul 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
i checked the market and those guns go for like 250-300k a pop. he must have just farmed like a madman and done it slowly i guess. it's doable, but i think it would cost like hm.

so say 50% of his buys were attributed and 50% weren't, and he started with a base of 15 fire

that'd leave 35
for simplicity sake we can say he bought 11 attributed rifles at 300k and 13 regular ones at 250k

the total cost would be 6,500,000 meseta. not including the obvious souls he probably has on it, and how much it cost to get it to +9.

I think it's 1 for non-element and wrong-element, 2 for same element, then +1 on top of that for being above X element value (even if it's the wrong element).

NoiseHERO
Jul 13, 2012, 09:15 PM

that'd leave 35

Yeah I saw one for like 100k the cheapest earlier and it kind of hit me with a "OOOHHHHHHHH" So I came to the conclusion that she at least made a few mils off the market, selling whatever.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
I bought a skill tree yesterday and will now commence testing with poison traps.I will be soloing Vol Dragon for the test and recording it.

It will be a little while though, i have to go run some errands.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
Alrighty here is me poison trapping the worm XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lVX_V0WSE&list=UUYR1KI2NzFjJkiHNXEUuNMw&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lVX_V0WSE&list=UUYR1KI2NzFjJkiHNXEUuNMw&index=1&feature=plcp

HFlowen
Jul 14, 2012, 06:33 PM
Looks like some investment into poison trap custom wouldn't be a bad thing to look at. Poison hits nice, but only tagging once out of ten traps is not great.

Can you poison a big boss like Vol?

Wolfgrey666
Jul 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
Looks like some investment into poison trap custom wouldn't be a bad thing to look at. Poison hits nice, but only tagging once out of ten traps is not great.

Can you poison a big boss like Vol?

I already failed one attempt at tagging Vol with poison but i intend to try again in a bit or some time tonight.I didn't hit with all my traps so ya.

Not sure how much i need to be able to poison him but then again people were saying they were having issues poisoning him with poison 2 or 3 on weapons.

HFlowen
Jul 14, 2012, 09:35 PM
I already failed one attempt at tagging Vol with poison but i intend to try again in a bit or some time tonight.I didn't hit with all my traps so ya.

Not sure how much i need to be able to poison him but then again people were saying they were having issues poisoning him with poison 2 or 3 on weapons.

Good stuff in any case. I've been screwing around leveling ranger and just decided to tag one of everything in the skill tree to see if they have potential or not to buy a tree dedicated to them. Upper trap is situational as hell, but I like what I'm seeing with poison. Gonna grab a point of stun grenade too for kicks.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 15, 2012, 02:35 AM
Good stuff in any case. I've been screwing around leveling ranger and just decided to tag one of everything in the skill tree to see if they have potential or not to buy a tree dedicated to them. Upper trap is situational as hell, but I like what I'm seeing with poison. Gonna grab a point of stun grenade too for kicks.

Upper trap actually isn't all that situational.You just need time and practice with them to get used to placing them down at the right time.After that , you can do it with any boss and get that lovely burst damage in.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 15, 2012, 04:45 AM
ポイズントラップを設置する。とくにキャタドランに有効。
ポイズンが闇属性の状態異常なので、同じ属性のダーカーなどには効きにくい・効果が無い。
またトラップ全般に言えるが、設置から発動までのタイムラグが問題なので過信は禁物。

above is what japanese wiki says on poison trap, i'll translate it to the best of my ability

-------------
Poison trap allows you to set poison traps. It's particularly effective against accordian dragon.
Poison is a dark type status affliction, therefore it is not very effective against monsters that are dark type. It will not poison dark type enemies.
Technically you can say this for all traps, but the timing from setting a trap to firing it is the problem, so it shouldn't be relied on.
-------

@flowen there's a guy that claimed he poisoned dragon once but he said it was super rare and he couldn't get a screen shot. i don't think he's lying. i'm pretty sure it's possible but you need probably at least poison 3 and even then that'd only give you an abysmal chance. probably from poison IV on you'll get a somewhat decent shot at poisoning bosses.

HFlowen
Jul 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
Upper trap actually isn't all that situational.You just need time and practice with them to get used to placing them down at the right time.After that , you can do it with any boss and get that lovely burst damage in.

Just about every situation I can think of that an upper trap would be effective can be done in a much safer and faster manner with normal weapons. The wind up time kills it, not worth sitting around right next to an enemy for a crucial second just to use a trap. If they worked like in PSU where you can drop them right away multiple times then detonate them all, I could see them being great (heck even the proximity mines from PSO would've been a more effective system).

While I don't have twenty one points piled into maxing an upper trap and haven't seen what that can really do, I feel those points are better off elsewhere unless you just love the novelty.

That's how I feel about it for now.

Poison on the other hand has potential depending on how well it can tag at higher investment.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 15, 2012, 10:29 PM
ポイズントラップを設置する。とくにキャタドランに有効。
ポイズンが闇属性の状態異常なので、同じ属性のダーカーなどには効きにくい・効果が無い。
またトラップ全般に言えるが、設置から発動までのタイムラグが問題なので過信は禁物。

above is what japanese wiki says on poison trap, i'll translate it to the best of my ability

-------------
Poison trap allows you to set poison traps. It's particularly effective against accordian dragon.
Poison is a dark type status affliction, therefore it is not very effective against monsters that are dark type. It will not poison dark type enemies.
Technically you can say this for all traps, but the timing from setting a trap to firing it is the problem, so it shouldn't be relied on.
-------

@flowen there's a guy that claimed he poisoned dragon once but he said it was super rare and he couldn't get a screen shot. i don't think he's lying. i'm pretty sure it's possible but you need probably at least poison 3 and even then that'd only give you an abysmal chance. probably from poison IV on you'll get a somewhat decent shot at poisoning bosses.

Hmm makes sense and is sound.Now figuring out what lvls of poison on weapons equals to what lvl of poison traps.

Just about every situation I can think of that an upper trap would be effective can be done in a much safer and faster manner with normal weapons. The wind up time kills it, not worth sitting around right next to an enemy for a crucial second just to use a trap. If they worked like in PSU where you can drop them right away multiple times then detonate them all, I could see them being great (heck even the proximity mines from PSO would've been a more effective system).

While I don't have twenty one points piled into maxing an upper trap and haven't seen what that can really do, I feel those points are better off elsewhere unless you just love the novelty.

That's how I feel about it for now.

Poison on the other hand has potential depending on how well it can tag at higher investment.

I already showed in my video how fast you can chain burst it.I can do far more damage than most can ever hope to do at my level and i am not exaggerating.Numbers tell me exactly that, especially weak bullet a long with it.

To add to that you simply use it along side what you already have.Simply use upper traps when the chance presents itself.If a enemy is stunned or knocked over, or vulnerable from any kind of damage(ant lion,vol dragon, so on) that is when you run in and upper trap chain.

It is well worth the investment.Try looking at the video in this thread for why.

3 bursts of nearly 6k per trap is nothing to scoff at.That is nearly 6k per burst and it bursts 3 times.That is 18k a trap practically.

Well once again tried against Vol Dragon with lvl 5 poison trap on his face.I missed only one but no luck with 9 hitting him.

So still fairly on line with poison 2 or 3.I am hoping with 5 more lvls of poison trap to go this will change.If max poison trap isn't better than the highest poison lvl you can put on a weapon then it will be a novelty.A fun novelty but a novelty nevertheless.

Upper trap has already been proven viable and worth my time.Poison may not be.But only time will tell.

That said, i would still use it for fun XD

Jiraiza
Jul 16, 2012, 12:36 PM
Might as well chime in. This is my "when there's another Ranger present or solo farm" build: http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/ranger.html?01RA!IOI2fmqqskbGFj

I figured I'd try out the Upper Traps and to my surprise, despite the crappy 10 trap limit, is pretty decent. I've gotten 2000-4500 ticks on each explosion per trap on bosses with Weak Bullet applied. Applying them isn't that hard either since they'll be running towards you anyhow or you could just go under them.

Upper Traps are definitely ideal in groups especially if you're going full Weak Bullet because you'll be out of PP for who knows how long so having traps helps you keep your DPS while you're waiting on Sneak Shooter/One Shot. For moving bosses like Snow Banshee/Banther though, it's a real pain to use. Combination of Upper Traps with precise use of Sneak Shooter is probably the best DPS a Ranger can get imo. Works out well for me.

Everybody and their mother went Weak Bullet to some extent so having traps makes it a bit more diverse and it's pretty stupidly fun too.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
it's pretty stupidly fun too.

i love video games

snickersnickerguys watch this guys guys watch this snicker snicker guys

*plants trap*

Blundy
Jul 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
so what exactly does tool mastery do? is it only for the item skills?

SolRiver
Jul 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
Anyone know if traps give PB gauge?

HFlowen
Jul 24, 2012, 10:36 PM
so what exactly does tool mastery do? is it only for the item skills?

I forgot this topic existed.

Honestly I'm still not 100% on what tool mastery affects yet. I have it maxed out and unlocked both traps + stun grenades. With upper trap and the initial damage of poison traps, I noticed an increase in damage. Stun grenade damage never changed noticeably for me as I upgraded tool mastery.

Blundy
Jul 26, 2012, 02:22 AM
i see so it would probably be lower priority then the upper traps boosts if i went that way, thanks.

HFlowen
Jul 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
i see so it would probably be lower priority then the upper traps boosts if i went that way, thanks.

You mean upper trap custom? Tool mastery would by way higher priority. It gives a much bigger boost if those numbers are right.

Dinosaur
Jul 26, 2012, 07:29 AM
Anyone know if traps give PB gauge?

Most MAGs give meter upon killing an enemy so yes.

Blundy
Jul 27, 2012, 02:38 AM
You mean upper trap custom? Tool mastery would by way higher priority. It gives a much bigger boost if those numbers are right.

Not sure where these numbers are, but tool mastery it is, in the future i'll probably have both anyways i guess~