PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 for NA/Europe in Early 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wayu
Jul 9, 2012, 01:01 AM
Just check the front page. But I'm not gonna hop in unless I can swap my character back 'n forth from the JP servers. Or unless they're shared servers, which I highly doubt.

Time to stop whining, folks, here's what (most of you) you wanted.

-Wayu

MelancholyWitch
Jul 9, 2012, 01:02 AM
I'd just stay on JP servers if they were separate, what's the point of building up my char all the way to that point? I mean by then who knows what the level cap would be... and how pointless it would be to start over again.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 01:02 AM
*insert fanfare here*

Welp, now we have files we can hot swap for those english files... I mean, not that I would ever .dat swap like in FFXI. I mean, wait, this is good news I think.

Somnia
Jul 9, 2012, 01:03 AM
That's a long wait, and I'm very weary after PSU. I'm not moving unless Sega IP blocks us.

Polly
I'm happy that it's going to be released here and Europe. I just hope that SEGA has the smarts to make it available every damn where they can, including Steam, to garner the biggest population they can possibly get. I also hope that they can somehow make sure that this version ends up with everything the Japanese version will have, but given their track record, I can't hold my breath on that one.

I've basically already decided to stick with the Japanese version as my main. I already feel too invested and honestly....I know the support and updates will be there. The language barrier isn't much of a problem as my Japanese is strong enough to make it through most everything the game can throw at me.

Great news, though. We all knew it was coming, and at least we have a release window.

DemonMike
Spring 2013?

Ahahahahahahaha.

BIG OLAF
If it's almost a year away, do people still think the servers will be "jointed" together? Nope, looks like it's gonna be another bend-over-and-take-the-subpar-service SoA mess, just like PSU was.

No thanks! JP all the way.

Cranberry
Jul 9, 2012, 01:06 AM
I'm glad it's getting a localized release. Hopefully the servers will be global. It'll be nice to play it in English.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 9, 2012, 01:06 AM
yeah, i'll be sticking with JP sega. and if there's an ip block and no option for a character transfer, well

i guess my heart will be broken.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 01:07 AM
Spring 2013?

Ahahahahahahaha.

This is even after the re-launch of FFXIV in January of 2013 with the PS3 edition.

And as Olaf said, this reeks of foul play and I'm more than likely not going to touch it. Unless we get IP banned off the JP server.

MelancholyWitch
If it's almost a year away, do people still think the servers will be "jointed" together? Nope, looks like it's gonna be another bend-over-and-take-the-subpar-service SoA mess, just like PSU was.

if they were smart and wanted to make it cheaper they could join them still, or just release patches with subs, but yeah as I've already stated in many other posts and topics, this is just PSU2 and as you can see this is just further proof of that.

BahnKnakyu
Is it global or not? That's all I care about. If it's Global I'll play. I have zero faith in Western Sega to keep in pace with the content of the JP version. I also have zero faith in the longevity of the game versus the JP version, sspecially if the game is going to be over 9 months behind the JP version. PSU JP is still going - Western PSU is officially dead in September, so no thanks unless it's global.

cheapgunner
Jul 9, 2012, 01:08 AM

Agred. Invested too much time in JP servers to switch. Those going to the new servers will be disappointed most likely.

Ethateral
Jul 9, 2012, 01:08 AM
I'm not dealing with SoA again. So JP version, kthx. :l

Priest
Jul 9, 2012, 01:09 AM
Guys, its still F2P. We can play on both servers easily! Well, play on one while dancing on the other.

Polly
Jul 9, 2012, 01:10 AM
Guys, its still F2P. We can play on both servers easily! Well, play on one while dancing on the other.

Oh piffle, you know damn well they'll just be dancing on both.

GrandTickler
teaser site not working,

Aurakon
Front page of what now?

Titan
Jul 9, 2012, 01:11 AM
Source?

Vashyron
Jul 9, 2012, 01:11 AM
ARCS
I see the localisation is going well already.

Nibelungenlied
Jul 9, 2012, 01:13 AM
Meh, if you don't know your way around JP PSO2 by then then you switching versions probably won't solve your problem ._.;

TRICKST3R
Jul 9, 2012, 01:14 AM
This is even after the re-launch of FFXIV in January of 2013 with the PS3 edition.

And as Olaf said, this reeks of foul play and I'm more than likely not going to touch it. Unless we get IP banned off the JP server.

Please don't jinx it.

D:

I'd rather stay on the JP server, due to content and longevity.
Not to mention... there's already so many of us here.

I wonder how many people will actually make the switch.

BIG OLAF
Source?

The front page of this website.

MelancholyWitch
Meh, if you don't know your way around JP PSO2 by then then you switching versions probably won't solve your problem ._.;

This, just ignore those who didn't have the misfortune of playing NA PSU. This is just too disheartening my younger days cry and yearn for a real sequel to PSO I feel like I've been mugged in a dark ally.

Darki
Pff. I don't even think I'm going to go to the NA/EU servers considering that I have a level 32 character already in JP... Spring 2013... In like 8 months that I'm going to surely keep playing the game in the JP servers, I'm sure I'll cap my main already in two classes and probably pick a second one.

One think that will be itchy will be that some of the people I played with in PSU will play there... but seriously. it all depends how do they handle the updates and stuff. If the game starts with the same content it had when it started in Japan, I don't think i'm even going to try. It'd be already 9 months behind the schedule.

But well, I suppose if they keep the same game format I'd give it a try just to figure out a bit better the rest of the controls. from there on it depends on what do they do with it. If in ayear or so the thing smells the same as with PSU I won't even care this time, just forget about it and stay in JP.

Seriously, I really hate how amazing plans go to hell just because of bad management. The game would be the most awesome ever for me if they just decided to expand the japanese servers and make it global. If they're going to separate the communities, as somebody who lives in between US and JP, I'm not going to be fucked off by the crap management of SoA and even more crap international policies by SoJ.

One thing I hope is that at least the fact that the game is going to be translated makes it easier to "patch" it for english menus in JP, and I don't think I gotta shut up about this on this forum now because it would be just to put stuff from the US version into the JP version.

DemonMike
Jul 9, 2012, 01:15 AM

It is nothing short of pathetic. I really feel for the community managers at Sega, no doubt they have been gunning to get this out ASAP and they're probably all to aware that it's far too late with that release window.

The community has pretty much translated everything. Voice acting is not necessary, the market for PSO2 in the west wouldn't mind Japanese voice acting with subtitles. It's not tied to a console so there's no rigorous approval systems to go through. All they need is to possibly get it age rated by ESRB and PEGI and heck, even make it subscription based if they're scared of the F2P model.

It doesn't bother me because unless there's a major IP ban in the works (which I doubt), I intend to stay on the JP server thanks to some experience with Japanese. But it pisses me off for all the guys here who would love an English version, the community managers at Sega and for the sake of the brand.

D-Arkers too. What the actual fuck is going on.

Crysteon
Jul 9, 2012, 01:15 AM
Well, the only good thing I see from this is that all those lobby afkers and dancing scum will move to that sinkhole, relieving some of the server stress.

DeltaSonic
Jul 9, 2012, 01:16 AM
I really want to give this an honest chance when it comes out, but all the negativity surrounding it sorta makes me not even want to slightly consider it :/

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 01:17 AM
REMEMBER THE ALAM---GURHAL SYSTEM!

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it'll launch exactly like PSO-JP. As in OBT is capped at 30, live will be 40... content updates will be X amount of months after JP-PSO2 got them, even if the content is ready to go launch day.

And then I predict we'll begin to fall behind a month in updates... then 2... then 3... then eventually a year. Then I predict it'll be dead before 5 years, tops. The only compensation we'll get for the delayed updates is... wait for it...

50% off all clothing in the NPC shop
Increased drop rate
Increased EXP rate

It'll feel like dejavue... It's not like this has happened before. Ever. Right? I mean, c'mon, it can't happen... This is Phantasy Star Online 2 we're talking about!

Titan
The front page of this website.

Damn that cache... Front page was showing nothing new for me. :-?

Enforcer MKV
teaser site not working,

They're already messing up.

Stop, stop, stop. The top of the post says the teaser site is coming online within the next hour or so.

Don't go crying doom yet.

Yes, I know it's SoA. But please read the full thing.

Kanore
Jul 9, 2012, 01:18 AM
bad idea

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2012, 01:19 AM
Damn that cache... Front page was showing nothing new for me. :-?

Understandable. It was happening for one of my other friends, as well.

MelancholyWitch
I really want to give this an honest chance when it comes out, but all the negativity surrounding it sorta makes me not even want to slightly consider it :/

I'm not trying to be negative here, I'm just stating what has happened in the past, and they are doing the EXACT same thing. PSO1 wasn't that far spread out from JP PSO1, this is just too much... they will have to do something or it will just end up like PSU where you have a split community.

Fafnir
Region locked servers managed by SoA with a release delay that's longer than the better part of a year?

I think I know exactly where this is going. I think I might as well keep my JP account. It's a case of too-little, too-late, with SoA at the helm to ride it into the ground. As much as I'd like to jump onto an American release, at least with the JP version I know that I'll still be able to play the damn game 9 months after release. Can't say that much for this.

ShinMaruku
Good I'll hop the English servers if Sega has learned and taken a page from EN Masse the wait would be good.
I know you guys think SoA is incomeptent but in that case the whole company on all continents are incompetent. I mean SoA had things to work with from Japan.
Game is free to play I'll give us Version a shake doubly so if they have the content from the Japanese put in.

aduran
Jul 9, 2012, 01:20 AM
i guess the solution to the congestion was to put that announcement lol

Aurakon
"D-Arkers"

Oh boy. :I

GrandTickler
Stop, stop, stop. The top of the post says the teaser site is coming online within the next hour or so.

Don't go crying doom yet.

Yes, I know it's SoA. But please read the full thing.

your right i didnt read trough it carefuly lol, my bad. (first thing i did was clicking the links like a happy little kid)

Demon-
Jul 9, 2012, 01:21 AM
Yeah I'm not falling it again. I'll stay on the JP server.

RocSage
Jul 9, 2012, 01:23 AM

I know, right?

Check out this...

"Arcs in the fight against mysterious D-Arkers"

The D-Arkers is likely supposed to be a reference to Dark ARKS or D-ARKerS as is being hinted at in the Matter Board 2 stuff, and along with creatures being called Darkers. So they literally mistranslated and then translated properly no less than 6 words later to use with word play.

As pointed out, now months ago, the fan translated stuff will likely be better translated so it doesn't make much sense to even bother, especially not 9 months from now.

When it's released people will likely just patch either the English client to connect to the Japanese servers or patch the Japanese client with the translations of the English client. So why bother caring?

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 01:23 AM
Today, SEGA will officially announce that they will be bringing Phantasy Star Online 2 to North America and Europe, with a release date 2013. In addition, the official teaser site should be going live at www.pso2.com within the next hour or so. Our friends at SEGA were kind enough to give us a heads up on this great news, and PSO-World is proud to be the first site to share it with the Phantasy Star community. Here is a copy of the official press release that will be released, check it out:

Our friends at SEGA gave us a heads up, letting PSO-World be the first site to bring the news to the people!

Excuse me while I edit my sig and remove my character name. That wording just screams "SEGA will be spying on us for the next year and other sites for user names to ban, as well as associated IPs logged with them in-game and their websites, and force us off their server and join our own region servers".

Conspiracy theorist? Nooo... nono... Mommy, why is Sonic outside my window?

EvilMag
Jul 9, 2012, 01:24 AM
So they told people to give a like to the PSO2 facebook page which was mostly only for their JP playerbase so.......

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 01:27 AM
Now if only some of this hate was served to sega of japan a few years back. :P

Keep thinking the Japanese side is heavenly. When I heard that Aliens colonial marine was on of their flagships I knew that company's management is batshit insane. Hopefully this contraction removes some of them :)

Xaeris
Jul 9, 2012, 01:28 AM
That's nice. They're crazy if they think I'm letting SoA dick me around again though.

Miyoko
Jul 9, 2012, 01:28 AM
Didn't it only take them 2 months to get PSU localized and ready to go compared to JP PSU? Why is this one taking LONGER?

Unless they blow everyone away by releasing the servers already (mostly) caught up to the JP ones, well... :l

Quatre52
Jul 9, 2012, 01:30 AM
The way so many put all the blame on SoA is almost as crazy as Segas management....

More on topic, glad to hear there will be a release, I'll still be playing on JP servers, however, no harm in trying the NA release when it gets here.

aduran
isnt the jp vita version coming on spring 2013 and our characters will be portable?

they should just allow to set the lang to eng in the jp version and cash in all the profit

Halcyote
"D-Arkers"

sega america u flops i cannot

BIG OLAF
Didn't it only take them 2 months to get PSU localized and ready to go compared to JP PSU? Why is this one taking LONGER?

Unless they blow everyone away by releasing the servers already (mostly) caught up to the JP ones, well... :l

^That is the only way I would even consider semi-seriously playing on the EN servers when they debut. If those servers start out where these did, then i ain't touching the game (except to make a character and screw around). No sir.

Enforcer MKV

Ya know, with all the gloom and shit going around, it's nice to see someone come up with the same idea I had. So really, I mean this when I say it.

Thank you.

Kion
Jul 9, 2012, 01:33 AM
Man, I love where this is going. 2013 release? So Japan will already be a guaranteed year ahead with more-than-likely huge delays in content update? Horrible voice acting of the top-tier Japanese voice actors? Poor translations done by people who have no experience with the series!? This is shaping up to be great. Sega sure knows how to disappoint.

MelancholyWitch
Ya know, with all the gloom and shit going around, it's nice to see someone come up with the same idea I had. So really, I mean this when I say it.

Thank you.

I'm being hopeful, but I'm also being realistic.

heylookapanda
Most of my friends want to play on the US servers when released, but I don't see the point. I think I'll stick to the JP ones and wait for a language patch or override.

Crimson Exile
PSO 2 NA with game guard????? GG no thank you!

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 01:34 AM
Wendee Lee is going to dub LISAs voice

ShinMaruku
The way so many put all the blame on SoA is almost as crazy as Segas management....

More on topic, glad to hear there will be a release, I'll still be playing on JP servers, however, no harm in trying the NA release when it gets here.
Well see how the attitudes change in the coming months. But really psu being bad has way more to do with soj than soa. The whole company suffered.

Ark22
Give Japanese servers an option to switch to English. Fuck everything else.

EvilMag
Wendee Lee is going to dub LISAs voice

The voice of Ethan Waber will voice every single character. Including females.

trentjosh
Jul 9, 2012, 01:35 AM
this makes me want to stay jp for sure now i dont want another PSU to happen no one should have to go thru that again

eharima
what lol? where is this footage from? CHGOV TO CODE PROTECTION
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/xItYU.jpg[/spoiler-box]

ShinMaruku
This is why we can't have nice things. (Then again we don't deserve it)

Caiterz
Jul 9, 2012, 01:36 AM
uhhh guys...

SEGA Officially Announces Western Release of PSO2 in 2013
PSO2
By Tomeeboy at 07/09/2012 - 05:56

Today, SEGA will officially announce that they will be bringing Phantasy Star Online 2 to North America and Europe, with a release date 2013. In addition, the official teaser site should be going live at www.pso2.com within the next hour or so. Our friends at SEGA were kind enough to give us a heads up on this great news, and PSO-World is proud to be the first site to share it with the Phantasy Star community. Here is a copy of the official press release that will be released, check it out:

SEGA ANNOUNCES THE WESTERN RELEASE OF PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2 SEGA’s Epic Free-to-Play Multiplayer Action RPG Coming to North America and Europe in Early 2013

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – July 9th, 2012 – SEGAŽ of America, Inc. and SEGAŽ Europe Ltd today announced that free-to-play multiplayer action RPG Phantasy Star Online 2 will be coming to North America and Europe in 2013. For a first look at this new entry in the legendary Phantasy Star series, check out the official Phantasy Star Online 2 teaser site at www.pso2.com.

“Phantasy Star Online was a revolutionary game when it was released, and we want to make sure that its successor in the series is every bit as ambitious,” said Chris Olson, Vice President of Digital Business at SEGA of America. “We look forward to introducing Phantasy Star Online 2’s unique, easy-to-access multiplayer action to the rest of the world next year!”

“The number one thing we want to provide players in Phantasy Star Online 2 is an adventure that changes every time they log in. Just as great table-top RPG experiences revolve around imaginative and unexpected encounters, we want players to consistently be surprised as they explore dungeons and undertake quests,” added Satoshi Sakai, Phantasy Star Online 2 Producer at SEGA of Japan.

Over ten years have passed since the release of the boundary-breaking Dreamcast hit, Phantasy Star Online, and SEGA is poised to continue the Phantasy Star series’ multiplayer legacy on PCs worldwide with Phantasy Star Online 2. In the Year 238, the New Era of Light, players will join a new band of Arcs in the fight against mysterious D-Arkers, embarking on another epic adventure of infinite possibilities!

Phantasy Star Online 2’s features include:
Deep sci-fi fantasy universe filled with lush landscapes, extraordinary creatures, and epic adventures
Revolutionary real-time combat and third-person action with devastating combos and counters to master
Flexible, class-based leveling system that lets players define their own play-style with distinctive melee, ranged, and magic weapon types
Randomized dungeon maps and unexpected mid-quest encounters that ensure each quest is different for each player
Deep character creation system with a nearly limitless number of potential appearances
Three degrees of humanity to experience across three unique races: the versatile Humans, spiritually-powered Newmen, and artificial CAST

For more information about Phantasy Star Online 2, visit the official site at www.pso2.com.

For more news, follow SEGA on Twitter @SEGA (http://twitter.com/phantasystar) or “like” us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/sega.pso2).

About SEGAŽ of America, Inc. SEGAŽ of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGAŽ Corporation, a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment. SEGAŽ of America’s Web site is located at www.sega.com.

About SEGAŽ Europe Ltd. SEGAŽ Europe Ltd. is the European Distribution arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGAŽ Corporation, and a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. SEGA’s global website site is located at www.sega.com.

The official teaser trailer for PSO2's western launch will also be going live sometime Monday morning via YouTube: Official PSO2 Announcement Trailer. Be sure to check it out once the video has been made available to the public!

Be sure to share your thoughts on this exciting announcement in our PSO2 Forums, where there is already a great deal of discussion going on about the Japanese release of the game

-It doesn't appear on the front page anymore
-Its by someone who doesnt normally release news
-Theres no other mention of it ANYWHERE on the internet
-Didnt Sega Europe Close down? Why would they be releasing a statement about it?
-Pso2.com leads to sega, not a teaser site
-The youtube link leads to nowhere

...So im thinking

TOMEEBOY Y U TROLL US?

Miyoko
Jul 9, 2012, 01:37 AM

Thank you.

<3

It's true, though. The console companies have -horribly- restrictive rules on patches, DLC, and the like (you would cringe if you knew how much developers had to pay to get their patches and such up), so with being on PC only, Sega -actually- has a chance to redeem themselves even with downsized studios. The real question is if they will take that opportunity and run with it. Considering the huge span between the two releases, and the fact that it's a niche game and most of their hardcore fans are already on the JP servers, they're going to have to make a helluva splash to actually win people over from the JP servers.

Vashyron
what lol? where is this footage from CHGOV TO CODE PROTECTION

It was CHGOV in the 2nd Alpha as I remember, changed after that.

DemonMike
Well see how the attitudes change in the coming months. But really psu being bad has way more to do with soj than soa. The whole company suffered.

SOJ's and SOA's spat has to end. This shit has been going on since the 90's and it's costing them a fortune.

But I'm very intrigued in what role SOJ played in making the US version of PSU so terrible. Please elaborate.

Ryudo
Jul 9, 2012, 01:38 AM
<3

It's true, though. The console companies have -horribly- restrictive rules on patches, DLC, and the like (you would cringe if you knew how much developers had to pay to get their patches and such up), so with being on PC only, Sega -actually- has a chance to redeem themselves even with downsized studios. The real question is if they will take that opportunity and run with it. Considering the huge span between the two releases, and the fact that it's a niche game and most of their hardcore fans are already on the JP servers, they're going to have to make a helluva splash to actually win people over from the JP servers.

not sure why you're posting such misinformation but this isnt true at all, Sony have no restrictions on MMOs and let them update and patch as they wish without any need for sony QA

DeltaSonic
Jul 9, 2012, 01:38 AM
Feel like throwing this out there. There's no way on release in 9 months it, will have the same content that JP will have in 9 months. They need to slowly release content in order to keep people interested and still paying for things. Even if we just look at JP, if all the content they have planned now was out now, a lot of people would be done with this game in less than a month.
Basically because the game will be out in 9 months and if they stay 9 months behind JP consistently, you can't really get mad at Sega. (But yeah it could likely go 10 months behind, then 11, 12... until it dies)

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2012, 01:39 AM
TOMEEBOY Y U TROLL US?

But it is on the front page, and Tomeeboy is one of the founders of the site. He posts big news like this.

10011408V3.9
Jul 9, 2012, 01:40 AM
I don't really mind the grind. It's not like I'll be deleting the character if I start playing on English servers if I can't transfer over from JP. An MMO is about the journey, not the destination (as much as what the post-WoW generation would like to believe otherwise).

If I make friends I can communicate with meaningfully on Ship 10, I'll maintain interest in the JP version. Otherwise, I'll let that char sit in stasis and get set up on an English server.

RocSage

Didn't PSU only have like 10 Voiced scenes...
Where as PSO2 has I'd estimate about 150 right now.

Though I would like to challenge someone to try to
translate without the already done work
edit
Dub
and see if they can get it all together in that amount of time. It might be an interesting experiment. And i mean cast and get different VAs for the different Voices and have them do all their scenes and such.

DemonMike
But it is on the front page, and Tomeeboy is one of the founders of the site. He posts big news like this.

And the Phantasy Star twitter page that Sega has been using made reference to D-arkers by apologising for going "'D-ark' for a while" (https://twitter.com/phantasystar/status/222213588394328064)

ps0k1d
Oh, let the speculation begin! All we can really do is wait and see what happens and make our choices based on what they decide to do.

Personally for me, I will probably continue playing the JP version as I've already put some time into it and don't really want to start over in a few months. The only way I would switch is if the English community here thinned out enough to where it was hard to find actual people to play with(and not people just afk dancing in the lobby). So playing an English release with would be more enjoyable for me at that point. Either way I am excited to see what will happen and how they plan on implementing everything over here.

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 01:41 AM
PSU was shit from both sides if you ask me, unlock codes them thinking they could get a good population paying to play bad class balance. If the structure beneath a game is bad dressing up the outside means nothing.
There was no SOJ and SOA spat one part was junior and one part was minor then they had bernie solar that massive fuck up tanking companies where they go. :P

Have you seen sega's health recently? It seems the management is creatively bankcrupt and they have been so for years.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DGGcdZ4KYbA/T5FeDLPuJJI/AAAAAAAACKo/2ofTef2oC0w/s1600/good-good-let-the-jimmies-rustle-through-you.png]

DreXxiN
This is really, really far off. =/

Miyoko
not sure why you're posting such isinformation but this isnt true at all, Sony have no restrictions on MMOs and let them update and patch as they wish without any need for sony QA

I'll admit I'm unfamiliar with Sony's workings, but I've heard Microsoft isn't quite as lenient. Then again, I'll also admit that I could be misinterpreting what I'm remembering from my source, but for the most part, these kinds of things are always troublesome.

Mike
-It doesn't appear on the front page anymore
-Its by someone who doesnt normally release news
-Theres no other mention of it ANYWHERE on the internet
-The date says June 28th? Wut?
-Didnt Sega Europe Close down? Why would they be releasing a statement about it?
-Pso2.com leads to sega, not a teaser site
-The youtube link leads to nowhere

...So im thinking

TOMEEBOY Y U TROLL US?

What, praytell, are these comments for then?
http://www.pso-world.com/news/02455-sega-officially-announces-western-release-pso2-2013#comments

EvilMag
Jul 9, 2012, 01:42 AM
Besides, didn't PSP2 first got announced for NA/Europe on PSOW?

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 01:43 AM
If you preorder PSO2 at Gamestop you'll get a Magazine Talis.

If you preorder PSO2 at BestBuy you'll get a Crazy Tune.

If you preorder PSO2 at Amazon.com you'll get a Hamburger mag ticket.

Well, no, but I would not be surprised if this happened.

Maronji
Jul 9, 2012, 01:44 AM
Strangely enough, the announcement for me was missing until I logged in. *shrugs*

Either way, not sure if I should be excited for this just yet.

Miyoko
Jul 9, 2012, 01:45 AM
Didn't PSU only have like 10 Voiced scenes...
Where as PSO2 has I'd estimate about 150 right now.

Though I would like to challenge someone to try to
translate without the already done work
edit
Dub
and see if they can get it all together in that amount of time. It might be an interesting experiment. And i mean cast and get different VAs for the different Voices and have them do all their scenes and such.

Are you meaning to tell me that, in the ENTIRETY of PSU's offline mode, there was only 10 voiced scenes? Alright, then.

The guys working on the english patch have also done a -tremendous- amount of work in terms of actually having stuff translated. That's like... A tiny group of people and they've got most of it done in a week? You should take a look at the documents sometime, it's been pretty full for quite some time.

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 01:46 AM
I am at the point that whatever comes is bonus. I ain't expecting much since it's free to play.

DemonMike
PSU was shit from both sides if you ask me, unlock codes them thinking they could get a good population paying to play bad class balance. If the structure beneath a game is bad dressing up the outside means nothing.
There was no SOJ and SOA spat one part was junior and one part was minor then they had bernie solar that massive fuck up tanking companies where they go. :P

Have you seen sega's health recently? It seems the management is creatively bankcrupt and they have been so for years.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DGGcdZ4KYbA/T5FeDLPuJJI/AAAAAAAACKo/2ofTef2oC0w/s1600/good-good-let-the-jimmies-rustle-through-you.png]

But.. this isn't what you was implying earlier. Saying PSU was shit from both sides is an opinion, which I personally agree with considering I do not care much for vanilla, but it's an opinion.

Denying an internal spat never happening between SoA and SoJ is wrong as well. It was quite a debacle back in the Sonic days and with Saturn's hardware. Me saying it is ongoing is just speculation on my part, but there's no denying it as they both operate as if they were completely different companies.

Sega's health is pretty bad, but this is mainly attributed to their western offices.

youcantcatchtheblue
Great news.

Now all we need is for them to announce Global Servers so that we can all play together around the world.

With JP servers being super-full right now, I doubt we'll get Global Servers, but maybe SEGA will surprise us and that's why they're taking until 2013 to make an International release so that they can add a gazillion blocks to Ship 2 and make everyone happy ^^

Crimson Exile

Dafuk would anyone preorder a free game????

Zipzo
What, praytell, are these comments for then?
http://www.pso-world.com/news/02455-sega-officially-announces-western-release-pso2-2013#comments

What exactly do comments from random people prove?

Site isn't up. YouTube link fails. Nowhere else can you see this news on the internet, even though this apparently happened on the 28th...? I'm feeling a troll here...

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2012, 01:47 AM
What exactly do comments from random people prove?

That the article is still there. Use your brain.

Also, the reason it's not anywhere else on the internet yet is because, as Garnet Moon pointed out, PSOW got exclusive first access to the information via SEGA connections.

DemonMike
Jul 9, 2012, 01:48 AM

They might release a boxed version like Japan is doing. That's a big might though, they're already cutting corner with the release date, never mind actually publishing a boxed version with all the distribution costs it would incur.

ChronoTrigga

If you preorder PSO2 on Steam you'll get a Chibi Gabe mag cell.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY PRE-ORDER (FUCK HL3)

Hitoshura
This picture accurately describes what I'm feeling right now

[SPOILER-BOX]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7543048/Nothing.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Hakoten
Jul 9, 2012, 01:49 AM
I'll probably just stick with JP if moving to the NA version means losing half of a year of progress.

str898mustang
Jul 9, 2012, 01:49 AM
This is phantasy star universe all over again, lol a year+ behind on updates again, too funny.

Zipzo
Jul 9, 2012, 01:50 AM
That the article is still there. Use your brain.

Also, the reason it's not anywhere else on the internet yet is because, as Garnet Moon pointed out, PSOW got exclusive first access to the information via SEGA connections.

You're not very convincing.

Troll until proven otherwise from credible source.

Geistritter
Christ, a lot of you are unpleasable pricks.

That said, I'm going to keep an eye on this. There's a lot they can do wrong, but also a lot they can do right. This is going to be a much better game this time next year... and that'll matter if the US and European editions are released with all of the Japanese's version's content to that point, and stay that way. That's what Final Fantasy XI did, and it even included the game's first expansion pack, and we got a much better game out of the gate than the Japanese did as a result. It's more than possible that the reasons they're waiting is that they know it'll be harder to get that international cash releasing a game this bare in the realm of content, and want it to start strong in realms where brand name recognition isn't all it takes to get a game off its feet.

The smart thing to do from there would be to keep the servers in Japan, and leave only the localization to their international branches. It's yours to screw up at this point, Sega, but I'll gladly throw some money at you if you can handle it correctly.

Seriously though, guys, it says "ARKS" all over the fucking place in this game. Getting that wrong just gives the aforementioned pricks that much more ammunition.

EvilMag
I'll also look forward to the servers lasting for less than 5 years!

Kion
Btw here is the thumbnail of the private video posted in the news post

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/bm1ZPgxStE4/0.jpg

Garnet_Moon

Well there's a hard copy release stuffed with goodies announced for the japanese version.

I'd imagine that'd be brought to north american and european shores too.

Nibelungenlied
This picture accurately describes what I'm feeling right now

[SPOILER-BOX]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7543048/Nothing.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

My reaction:
[spoiler-box]http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/Y_U_Do_This_To_Me.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Crimson Exile
Jul 9, 2012, 01:51 AM
In about 9mins PSO 2 NA will be forgotten. LONG LIVE JP!

Xaeris
Jul 9, 2012, 01:51 AM

Or, you know. We're exercising a memory of history.

Priest
Jul 9, 2012, 01:52 AM
Name we one game that came from Japan that had a better localized version than the original.

Getintothegame
While I agree with many of the user sentiment that Spring 2013 is quite far away, keep in mind that other blockbuster releases are upon us this Q3/4 of 2012. I believe this may be part of the reason they wish to release in the Spring.

As for the separation of servers, I cannot help but wonder if it would be wise to join and stay with the Japanese servers. The United States servers have had a consistent history of shutting down before the Japanese servers. Even so, I do hope that there is a decision to join the two together. It would be nice to not have to worry about that too much.

BIG OLAF
You're not very convincing.

Troll until proven otherwise from credible source.

Gahaha. Goodness, you're quite the dip.

RocSage
Jul 9, 2012, 01:53 AM
Are you meaning to tell me that, in the ENTIRETY of PSU's offline mode, there was only 10 voiced scenes? Alright, then.

The guys working on the english patch have also done a -tremendous- amount of work in terms of actually having stuff translated. That's like... A tiny group of people and they've got most of it done in a week? You should take a look at the documents sometime, it's been pretty full for quite some time.

Hyperbole. It probably had more than 10, but it still had very few voiced scenes in general and those that were voiced were all voiced by a small group. Bigger cast, more work, even if technically it is less Voice over work, which in this case it isn't.

Zaix
Jul 9, 2012, 01:53 AM
Name we one game that came from Japan that had a better localized version than the original.

I know one... Kingdom Hearts! We had extra bosses and English Disney voice acting.

It was better until they got Final Mix. (They still use English VOs though)

Keiko_Seisha
Jul 9, 2012, 01:54 AM
I'm on the forgiving side.

Plus I have so much free time in my hands that I literally have nothing to do with it most of the time.

But I'm willing to play on the US server. I'll probably play on both. I'm not going in with the highest of expectations other than "Maaaaaybe SoA learned. Maybe. Possibly. Oh what am I thinking it's Segac."

Sp-24

Metal Gear Solid. Want 2 more?

On topic, since Sega isn't going to outsource the game to some POS company like Aeria, we still have a chance to get shared servers. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

Dan Maku

Sonic Adventure. The original Japanese version was glitchy as shit. Must of the bugs were ironed out for the international release.

FenixStryk
That's cool, but I'll be staying on JP. I have no intentions of wagering content and support just for an English translation.

DemonMike
Jul 9, 2012, 01:55 AM

Oh it's that "entitled gamers" attitude again!

People have a right to be pissed about it.

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 01:56 AM
Denying an internal spat never happening between SoA and SoJ is wrong as well. It was quite a debacle back in the Sonic days and with Saturn's hardware. Me saying it is ongoing is just speculation on my part, but there's no denying it as they both operate as if they were completely different companies.

Sega's health is pretty bad, but this is mainly attributed to their western offices.
Their western offices don't make the games their Japanese ones do and so far only 3 teams have put out some good stuff the rest has not been doing so. Japan is having a rough time this generation (Their own damn fault and thankfully some see it) What you see as a spat I see as one company's different regional offices having differences and with the main part not doing so well the other parts have suffered.

But you can't tell me all those bad sonic games were SOA's fault. You can say shoddy marketing is their fault but if the games were not good blame Sonic team's dumb ass and blame sega of japan for only having them make the games. Back in the day Sega was awesome now, they have very little to show and I attribute that to well they don't manage their properties well.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 01:57 AM
Day 1 purchase if they bring back Karen Erras dub voice actress to do a major role (or even a voice option...!)

Unless of course, they remove the phrases and go with grunts and moans. I mean, listening to Karen Erra moan might not be too bad...

Who am I kidding. She's not going to return in PSO2... that voice will never again be heard... ;_;

Brindizer
They'll really need to put an effort forward if they're going to get me to play on the NA servers. After playing PSU PC, I know exactly what to expect. I would rather learn a third language than deal with Sega of America.

Miyoko
Hyperbole. It probably had more than 10, but it still had very few voiced scenes in general and those that were voiced were all voiced by a small group. Bigger cast, more work, even if technically it is less Voice over work, which in this case it isn't.

It had lots of voiced scenes. And you know what else? They also did less voicing in general. It was fine because of it. They could skip the little greetings people have when you get near them, and stuff like that, and nobody would care. Or hell, they could just skip doing voicing all together. Pull a Zelda and give just little grunts here and there. I also sure haven't seen a ton of voice work in PSO2, I don't know what 150 scenes you're talking about. Are you referring to the 15 second long tablets?

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 01:58 AM
Oh it's that "entitled gamers" attitude again!

Fuck you. People have a right to be pissed about it.

No, they don't.

First of all, it's a video game. You have no right to act like a snob over something that, whether you like it or not, is ultimately trivial.

Secondly, they don't even know how it's going to be handled, and should save the moaning until they're sure they have something to complain about. As I said later in my post, which you didn't read because you wanted to be a cock end instead, they may be waiting because releasing the game in its current state would be fucking suicide internationally.

Nibelungenlied
Jul 9, 2012, 01:58 AM
SoA is ranked right up there with EA in my book.

Plus I've already memorized most of the weapons and menus in JP, so no point in me switching for a story when we have story translations on this forum.

MelancholyWitch
Jul 9, 2012, 02:00 AM
Metal Gear Solid. Want 2 more?

On topic, since Sega isn't going to outsource the game to some POS company like Aeria, we still have a chance to get shared servers. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

This, but since this is SoJ we're talking about...

Zipzo
Jul 9, 2012, 02:01 AM
Gahaha. Goodness, you're quite the dip.
Really now, interesting.

An idiot in his natural habitat.

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2012, 02:02 AM
Really now, interesting.

An idiot in his natural habitat.

Yes, it's fascinating. Only an idiot would think the founder of the largest Phantasy Star community site in the world would post something so potentially monumental as a "troll" or "joke" to forever tarnish his site's, and his own, reputation. I know.

Hosaka
Jul 9, 2012, 02:03 AM
Don't know if want. I'm pretty happy on JP PSO2, but it sure would be nice to have some damn English menus.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 02:05 AM
Don't know if want. I'm pretty happy dancing on JP PSO2, but it sure would be nice to have some damn English menus.
I don't even need the menus in english. I've been through them so much that I've memorized them~

Ahe~

Enforcer MKV
Jul 9, 2012, 02:06 AM
<3

Oh, I know. Trust me, I know. There's a reason I'm slowly switching to PC gaming from console. And while Sony's policy isn't so bad, Microsoft is downright horrid. PC is really Sega's chance to shine anew. And with the restructuring going on, it makes sense that schedules might be a little more....uh, I suppose sluggish is the term I'm looking for. But, man, Sega is really gonna have to pull a miracle to get support after the PSU debacle. They'll need to keep the servers up to date this time, and not have such a horrid gap between the two versions. And even then, if the entire community is like block 20 ship 2.....

Well, hell, I dunno if I WANT a localized version if I have to suffer through THAT.

Hosaka
Jul 9, 2012, 02:07 AM
I don't even need the menus in english. I've been through them so much that I've memorized them~

Ahe~

Dangit, don't have my symbol art on me here!

DemonMike
Jul 9, 2012, 02:07 AM
No, they don't.

First of all, it's a video game. You have no right to act like a snob over something that, whether you like it or not, is ultimately trivial.

Secondly, they don't even know how it's going to be handled, and should save the moaning until they're sure they have something to complain about. As I said later in my post, which you didn't read because you wanted to be a cock end instead, they may be waiting because releasing the game in its current state would be fucking suicide internationally.

But it being a video game is the reason why they can be pissed. It may be free to play, but it's designed to make money. Money people are willing to put in.

So you're telling me that people have no right to consider which of the following they would like to possibly invest their money in:
A Japanese version they may or may not understand that's currently fully functional.
Or:
An English version that is to be released in a ridiculous time frame with what is most likely segregated from the JP versions community.

Of course they're allowed to and of course they're allowed to feel pissed off that a version they were looking forward to is already looking gimped.

No one expected them to release the game in its current state, don't be retarded. It doesn't matter to me, I can read, write and understand a bit of Japanese. But consider the people who can't and want an English localisation, which is a lot of people on this forum.

It's been stated numerous times that it may be best in SoA's interests to just offer English in the Japanese client and offer a more accessible way for overseas players to buy AC. Hasn't happened, no attempt at doing the next best thing which is to release it in time for the autumn update.

Going through this route will most likely repeat history and further damage the brand in the west.

keizeh
Jul 9, 2012, 02:10 AM
No, they don't.

Right.
Because consumers aren't entitled to a quality product with their hard earned money. They should just throw their money at sub-par shit and be happy about it because "it's just video games". You don't need a nice car, a rusty old 1960s truck is all good. What? No tires? Stop being so entitled, it still -works-.

Halcyote
Jul 9, 2012, 02:10 AM
oh it looks as if this thread is turning out better than expected.

Arika
Jul 9, 2012, 02:13 AM
They never learn their lesson on the western release.

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 02:14 AM
There was no lesson to learn. Company is too disprate. They need to better centralize.

Ex Valkyrie
Jul 9, 2012, 02:14 AM
I kind of would prefer English subtitles for story clips and an English translation for menus and such. >w<
I wonder if by then we'll have those...

RocSage
Jul 9, 2012, 02:15 AM
It had lots of voiced scenes. And you know what else? They also did less voicing in general. It was fine because of it. They could skip the little greetings people have when you get near them, and stuff like that, and nobody would care. Or hell, they could just skip doing voicing all together. Pull a Zelda and give just little grunts here and there. I also sure haven't seen a ton of voice work in PSO2, I don't know what 150 scenes you're talking about. Are you referring to the 15 second long tablets?

PSU didn't have a lot, they had a lot of "haha you thought you thought we were going to give you CGI voiced scene, but nope we dropped to in game scene with text right before talking" scenes.

Those tablets are VO work and each are between 1 and 2 minutes long, that's 1-200 minutes of VO work with those alone. Then you have the various scenes with Shion, Matoi, around the Lobby scenes from the Matter Board, and In Mission scenes which equate to about 3 to 5 minutes all together per story mission.

It's around 5-6 hours of VO footage if watched listened to back to back probably. PSU had maybe 30 mins to an hour of voiced stuff. Most of it, again, was from a small cast, which makes it easier and most of the VO work was done in longer videos, but generally there isn't much there.

Also i'm not even saying they need to do that much work, I'm of the opinion, just sub it and i'll be happy, but if they are dubbing that is going to take a month or two just to cast, then getting their schedules right as there aren't that many English Voice Actors out there and the few that there are, that are good, are likely busy, and then there is just the overall scheduling and fine tuning to make sure everything is right.

So that s excuse for several months, but then there are other releases, and if they were looking for the best advertising they'd want to pick a date that isn't going up against anyone.

If I were in charge of that and with them saying they are focusing more on internet stuff I'd do something more along the lines of...
Release an English Option in the Current Client and Open a English site
As new VOs are done add them to the client
Then in spring "officially" advertise a NA release. It wouldn't be the first time a company has released twice. and this wold handle both the already wanting it not getting shafted and also try to rake in the new people.

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 02:15 AM
Well, hell, I dunno if I WANT a localized version if I have to suffer through THAT.

Honestly, this is one of the things I dread the most too. There are also certain demographics that frequent free online games that have a history of being even more obnoxious, and I'm not looking forward to meeting them again either.

Nor am I looking forward to the symbol chat spam of primary and secondary sexual characteristics. The Japanese may be passive-aggressive and quite disturbing at times, but they're frankly a lot less flat out irritating and immature than most people.

Ogni-XR21
Jul 9, 2012, 02:16 AM
I'll make a character on the English server. With the release this far behind there is no way it's going to be a global server system. And even if it was it would probably be restricted to some dedicated ships since it would otherwise mess up the update schedule.

Thank god I started with the JP version, otherwise the wait would be killing me!!!

Enforcer MKV
Oooooi, the negativism. Miyoko, save me, please..

Wait, what am I....okay, dramatic flare over. *walks out*

EDIT:

Honestly, this is one of the things I dread the most too. There are also certain demographics that frequent free online games that have a history of being even more obnoxious, and I'm not looking forward to meeting them again either.

Nor am I looking forward to the symbol chat spam of primary and secondary sexual characteristics. The Japanese may be passive-aggressive and quite disturbing at times, but they're frankly a lot less flat out irritating and immature than most people.

Amen.

Skye-Fox713
*insert fanfare here*

Welp, now we have files we can hot swap for those english files... I mean, not that I would ever .dat swap like in FFXI. I mean, wait, this is good news I think.

Indeed, that was pretty much my plan.

Here again indeed, The only reason I will move if A. PSO-World announces a mass move to the English servers or B. getting IP blocked from PSO2 JP. Or if and this is a big if sega allows character transfers and the servers are global so that the whole PS community are on the same servers JP, US, EU, ect.

Plus with the 9 month separation it's fairly obvious that they are doing voice dubs for the characters as well.

For some reason the first thing that came to mind was an image of a drunk frat college student yelling "Whooooooo Yeah!" in relation to the translations. 'Arks' to 'Arcs', 'Darkers' to 'D-Arkers' really?! that's getting on boarder line FUBAR

DTwO
Jul 9, 2012, 02:17 AM
Me w4nt Jet Grind Radio NPC in NA PSO2!Gimme naos!

On a more serious note.im staying JP Pso2 for lots of reasons...
1.ive already put and will put tons of time into account till the NA release.
2.Have tons of friends and have gotten used to menus already.
3.I dont want to play something thatll end up like PSU NA....where we were like 1-2 years behind in updates.

Im staying on this JP crack!

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 02:18 AM
Indeed, that was pretty much my plan.

Here again indeed, The only reason I will move if A. PSO-World announces a mass move to the English servers or B. getting IP blocked from PSO2 JP. Or if and this is a big if sega allows character transfers and the servers are global so that the whole PS community are on the same servers JP, US, EU, ect.
I think we'll have a mass "let's all play on the english server when we hit the level cap in the JP versionand see new faces!" but I do believe we're all keeping our mains on the JP servers.

Laguna
Jul 9, 2012, 02:19 AM
How could you guys be complaining about an international release...? I'm pretty shocked and hyped for this. If your excuses are that you don't wanna restart... LIKE, REALLY?!

/ionlyreadthefirstpagesoyeah

Dan Maku
Jul 9, 2012, 02:20 AM
To the folks worrying about massive delays in content ala PSU: I think someone already brought up how rules on patches, updates, and such are much more restrictive on consoles than on PC. Since the only version of PSU that survived long-term was on 360, that makes sense. However, PSO2 is a PC game, and those same restrictions won't reply.

Now shut your weeaboo mouths.

Dan Maku
Jul 9, 2012, 02:22 AM
Also, considering that servers are locking down on JP PSO2, English may be the way to go for western gamers anyway.

G.A.M.E.R-X
Jul 9, 2012, 02:23 AM
Inb4 the game comes back up after maintenance, (given the timing of this announcement) and no one can log in due to a new region IP block to keep all the idiotic ship 2 teen asswipes that wore out their welcome with vulgar symbol chats and lobby afk hogging, from being able to play the game until it comes out in their region in spring 2013 (exclusively only on Vita in NA and EU for 6 months to a year, count on it)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~ I'm gonna laugh sooo hard! Place your bets kids!

You brought it on yourselves if it happens, not even gonna feel bad for ya

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 02:23 AM
Right.
Because consumers aren't entitled to a quality product with their hard earned money. They should just throw their money at sub-par shit and be happy about it because "it's just video games". You don't need a nice car, a rusty old 1960s truck is all good. What? No tires? Stop being so entitled, it still -works-.

And I'm surprised you don't choke on all of that pent up bile you have churning in you. Sure seems to be making you uncomfortable, though.

I didn't say no one's allowed to expect a quality product; nothing even close to that sentiment is anywhere in my post. You made that up because you wanted to be angry and bitter and insulting toward a total stranger for no reason than misplaced, misaimed righteous indignation, and probably due to self-esteem issues as well, but that's not really my place to speculate on, to be fair.

I said you don't have a right to be a dick about it. And you don't. And neither does anyone else. Nor do you have a right to open the gates of your bile and personal issues without any sufficient evidence that you even have anything to complain about. Be a jerk after Sega's messed something up.

Or, you know what? Don't. You'll be better off in the end.

EvilMag
Jul 9, 2012, 02:25 AM
How could you guys be complaining about an international release...? I'm pretty shocked and hyped for this. If your excuses are that you don't wanna restart... LIKE, REALLY?!

/ionlyreadthefirstpagesoyeah

Because if the servers are split, its gonna get the same poor service that PSO and PSU had.

BahnKnakyu
Jul 9, 2012, 02:26 AM
<3

Did you forget what Sega did with PSOBB? Am I the only one that fucking remembers? The SAME shit happened in PSOBB AND PSU. Do you really expect them to have learned their lesson from both game failures?

Vicious108
Jul 9, 2012, 02:27 AM
Cool. I haven't played anything from the Japanese version except the Character Creator Demo, so I think I just might wait. I've already waited this long, after all.

Though of course I share the sentiment of dreading just how Sega of America/Europe will handle the game... Hopefully they've learned, yeah.

xBladeM6x
Jul 9, 2012, 02:29 AM
Unless the servers are global, or they're going with a P2P separated server, where AC is only used to pay a smaller premium (doubt it though), I'll probably be sticking with the JP side. If they allow me to transfer my character or the global server is actually global and all your character stuff is still in tact, just and English client, then I'll be "switching", even though it wouldn't really be a switch at that point.

Either way, I'll be checking it out. However I do feel it is completely retarded how this wait for it, is nearly a year away. Unless they're doing something game changing like the P2P model instead, and they're changing things accordingly, or something like that, I don't see why this isn't getting a faster push. I mean, FFS the "modders" who are making the -unspoken "English patch- could do the whole game, and all it's translations in 1/6th that time.

Then again, it's common with Japanese developers to bring out a game in Japanese, and then wait until the game has lost it's steam to bother bringing it out anywhere else. >:l

BahnKnakyu
Jul 9, 2012, 02:30 AM
I know one... Kingdom Hearts! We had extra bosses and English Disney voice acting.

It was better until they got Final Mix. (They still use English VOs though)

Usually when the Western version of a JP game gets "Western-exclusive" content, Japan makes like a "Final Mix" version of the Western game that has the extra stuff, so what you just said kinda falls apart. :(

Enforcer MKV
Jul 9, 2012, 02:31 AM
Just ignore them. Everyone who can, go on and head in game to PSO2JP.

For those of you who can not, and have friends on Ships 2 or 10. Honestly, you're probably going to have to wait a week, unless you're all alright with creating characters on other ships, then deleting and starting over.

You've got my condolences.

DreXxiN
Jul 9, 2012, 02:33 AM
Guys, Phantasy Star's community is one of the last safe havens for there to be a mature, respectable, niche community that can be friendly and helpful. We are all here for the same thing, we all love Phantasy Star.

We are not a very common bunch, so let's not break up and fight amongst the small community we have. Let's keep the tradition rolling, please. Just wanted to intervene and say that, and maybe we can have constructive, less hate-filled posts in this thread. A simple request, thanks :D.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 02:34 AM
Just a reminder what you can expect...

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9633/img2137u.jpg[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler]Yes I played a beast, so what, big deal, i've got a sexy nanoblast walk you were jealous of

Enforcer MKV
Jul 9, 2012, 02:36 AM
Guys, Phantasy Star's community is one of the last safe havens for there to be a mature, respectable, niche community that can be friendly and helpful. We are all here for the same thing, we all love Phantasy Star.

We are not a very common bunch, so let's not break up and fight amongst the small community we have. Let's keep the tradition rolling, please. Just wanted to intervene and say that, and maybe we can have constructive, less hate-filled posts in this thread. A simple request, thanks :D.

Ya know, I want to agree with you, I really do.

But some people make it really hard.

Xaeris
Jul 9, 2012, 02:41 AM
You and me, Rampage Ghost.

Xenoguner
Jul 9, 2012, 02:43 AM
Ya know, I want to agree with you, I really do.

But some people make it really hard.

I agree with both your and DreX's remarks. Just reading all this hate makes me feel uneasy.

Personally, I wouldnt care about all the reasons that ya'll are upset over. One person said on this thread, its all about the Journey, not the destination, and I agree completly. As long as I have friends to join me in the American side, I'll be glad to restart my already maxed out Jp character and (assumed) less content from the get go. At least I'll be too busy having fun then worrying about "late" content =D

texhnolyze
Jul 9, 2012, 02:44 AM
nice, but i'll be staying at JP PSO2 :D

Caiterz
Jul 9, 2012, 02:45 AM
Guys, Phantasy Star's community is one of the last safe havens for there to be a mature, respectable, niche community that can be friendly and helpful.

We are not a very common bunch, so let's not break up and fight amongst the small community we have.

LMFAO...

but anyway

I guess it is official..

Happy to see our friends at PSO-W get first crack at this, too:

http://www.pso-world.com/news/02455-sega-officially-announces-western-release-pso2-2013

Look for more tomorrow & in the meantime, thanks to all our fans for their support!

And it does show up on the front page for me now too. It just seems so WEIRD that it was all hidden and no other info about it anywhere...

Also some of the info on the main page has changed. *raises eyebrow*

Question Everything!

MegaZoneXE
Jul 9, 2012, 02:50 AM

I Agree, i dont really post on here like i use to because of the bickering like this.

In reagrds to the game being released finally i and all of us should be grateful, some of us have come as far back from the Dreamcast days and some even farther in the series.

I myself was on the Ps2/PC of PSU server EVERYDAY from day 1 till the server got shut down
so i can say let us.....ALL OF US support the US/EU server of PSO2 or it will be another downfall.

If this community, the core PS fans doesnt play, only people from Reddit..Gamefaqs.and even 4chan will play.

Ryock
Jul 9, 2012, 02:51 AM
Nooooo way I'm waiting that long for an english release. My japanese is more than good enough to communicate and get through the game. Also, SoA's previous history makes me... nervous to even go near it, so rather than play a game for the convenience of having my native language, I'll just stay here. That's great it got announced though. Now if only everyone within the forums would remain civilized. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?! D=

EDIT:
I see all the cries about SoA in this thread but I don't see anyone properly explaining what's the deal as I've never touched PSU(NA) never so maybe if you want to convince someone at least try to actually pinpoint the issues? Garnet_Moon's picture conveys nothing as I've seen worse stuff being spammed by english community in lobbies in PSO2(JP).

Long story short... PSU lagged behind in "updates" for the US release. At first we weren't far behind, but it got worse and worse over time, to the point where we were eventually about a year behind in updates. Some people were also angry with the drip feed content we were given, considering at release, a good part of the content that was released to us was discovered to actually be unlocked, as it was already seen to be present on the disc. This was just the beginning though. I quit playing PSU when the PC version went offline, so I can't speak for everything that happened afterwards.

jooozek
I see all the cries about SoA in this thread but I don't see anyone properly explaining what's the deal as I've never touched PSU(NA) never so maybe if you want to convince someone at least try to actually pinpoint the issues? Garnet_Moon's picture conveys nothing as I've seen worse stuff being spammed by english community in lobbies in PSO2(JP).

Xaeris
Oh, but that's where you're wrong. I know you plenty. There are thousands of you on the Internet. People who desperately crave attention, but don't have any worthwhile skills to acquire with. People who resort to the basest and most facile means of getting people to look at them and then delude themselves into thinking that they're masters of manipulating human emotions because they got someone to get angry. I've met plenty of you.

So yeah, I know you. More than I'd like. We're done talking now.

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 02:53 AM
Oh, and before I forget again, congratulations to PSO-World for getting the exclusive (even if extremely briefly so) scoop on this news.

moorebounce
Jul 9, 2012, 02:55 AM
I understand people who would want to stay on the Japanese version once the NA/EU version has dropped. I myself will be starting over when it comes to NA/EU. For one thing being able to read the entire menus in english is one part and being able to buy AC is another. If I have an issue thats needs to be taken care of concerning my money I don't want to have to convert my correspondence to Japanese to get it resolved.

Even if you could swap files and still play on the Japanese part of the servers theres still the issue of going through Japanese payment portals and having to correspond in Japanese when issues arise.

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2012, 02:57 AM
Oh, but that's where you're wrong. I know you plenty. There are thousands of you on the Internet. People who desperately crave attention, but don't have any worthwhile skills to acquire with. People who resort to the basest and most facile means of getting people to look at them and then delude themselves into thinking that they're masters of manipulating human emotions because they got someone to get angry. I've met plenty of you.

So yeah, I know you. More than I'd like. We're done talking now.

I don't know who he's talking to here, but I love it.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 9, 2012, 02:58 AM
great. I pray Sega does the SMART thing and just have global servers for ALL players globally and just patch the CURRENT updated game client with English as selectable in the options. I DONT CARE for VA's keep it in Japanese and just SUBTITLED the cut-scene dialogue. just dub the basic random NPC's.

WHERE are people getting this "Spring 2012" date from, the news on the front page says " early 2013 " that could mean Janurary ffs. Unless SoA can show me they can catch up to JP server's current updates in a speedy manner, im sticking to JP Ship 2 for now.

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 03:00 AM
I don't know who he's talking to here, but I love it.

He may as well have been talking to the entire internet.

Or at least to Youtube users.

Mike
Jul 9, 2012, 03:02 AM
I know everyone is getting all worked up about updates but I'm more curious about how they're going to make you pay for the game. Are they going to keep the scratches or is that illegal in the US and Europe?

DreXxiN
Jul 9, 2012, 03:03 AM
I know everyone is getting all worked up about updates but I'm more curious about how they're going to make you pay for the game. Are they going to keep the scratches or is that illegal in the US and Europe?

This could be part of the reason they have such a belated date to expect a localized PSO2 to be honest. Legality issues and what have you so you bring up an interesting concern.

Agitated_AT
Jul 9, 2012, 03:04 AM
I am sad because as of now the game is really terrible. While im gonna do my best to support it, i know people in the west are less easily pleased by such shallow and EASY gameplay. The game may not do well in the long run is what im concernee about :

jooozek
Jul 9, 2012, 03:04 AM
"Scratches" aren't illegal in EU/NA, random boxes are what drives all the F2P in EU/NA. Though, if you are talking about literal scratches, then they could just make them into boxes so no one would be concerned with them.

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 03:05 AM
They're not illegal; lotteries/gacha/grab bags with random crap in 'em/what have you are an extremely common thing in Korean online games that make it out internationally.

"Scratches" aren't illegal in EU/NA, random boxes are what drives all the F2P in EU/NA. Though, if you are talking about literal scratches, then they could just make them into boxes so no one would be concerned with them.

And yes, this would be a snap to do, but it's unnecessary; scratch tickets have been done as well. Hell, there's not even any scratching involved with this game's.

SilverbladeVI
Jul 9, 2012, 03:07 AM
They could of just translated into a variety of languages and save a whole lot of money. Not this NA/EU thing again.

It failed with PSOBB
It failed with PSU..

It'll fail even more with PSO2. I read the first post in this thread. Whoever wanted a NA release is absolutely nuts. Trust me. A translated JP version would be MUCH MUCH satisfying than a NA version. The ONLY way for the NA version to be top notch is if they have the same updates as JP. Not being six months behind.

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 03:08 AM
If the North American and European versions tank, it won't have a damn thing to do with them being in English.

Scrub
Jul 9, 2012, 03:11 AM
I think the most distressing news is that I may have to re-do my signature, for ironic purposes.

Also I stopped playing PSU not too long after it was out but was the US version really the disaster you guys are making it out like it was?

SilverbladeVI
Jul 9, 2012, 03:11 AM
If the North American and European versions tank, it won't have a damn thing to do with them being in English.

It's how NA and EU coordinate the servers. :\ They do a terrible job at it.

Keiko_Seisha
Jul 9, 2012, 03:16 AM
You and me, Rampage Ghost.

I have a slight problem with this in the end though.

While Excellen is a loveable and enjoyable female pilot, Seolla is my favorite. You don't seem like much an Arado person though so I don't think we can do a Twin Bird Strike.

So we're settling for a Royal Heart Breaker.

DreXxiN
Jul 9, 2012, 03:22 AM
Had enough birthday blues with BB

BB... Birthday Blues..Huehueuh...Sorry I'm a bad person.

On topic, I understand where you're coming from though :P. Hopefully they fix their act.

Ecchi
Jul 9, 2012, 03:26 AM
Be smart just play Jp version, when Na comes out try it and if things go bad just play the Jp version. You should give Na version a chance.....As a community you should support it or its gonna fail, all games need players right? For everyone already doubting it I understand your pain! But still.....

DemonMike
Jul 9, 2012, 03:29 AM
Whatever happened to that teaser website that was supposedly going to be available "within the hour"?

Skye-Fox713
Jul 9, 2012, 03:31 AM
Also, considering that servers are locking down on JP PSO2, English may be the way to go for western gamers anyway.

They are only temporarily closing servers due to the massive influx of players being concentrated on ships 1-5. So the closed off new characters being created on ships 1-5 for server stability issues.

Just a reminder what you can expect...

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9633/img2137u.jpg[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler]Yes I played a beast, so what, big deal, i've got a sexy nanoblast walk you were jealous of

Heck I played PSU-PC as a Beast Fortegunner (then Gunmaster) and was dam proud to do so. Also fact that I only ever saw one other beast fortegunner and the player said that it was temporary cause they wanted to max all their classes out. (see sig)

BahnKnakyu
Jul 9, 2012, 03:34 AM

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2067254&postcount=146

In fact, EVERYONE should read this post. This is from FOUR YEARS AGO. This is not people just being negative to bash Sega, this is a proven track record.

And guess what? It's going to be no better for you if you go to the Western servers, because now every block will contain the spam you hate in B20. They'll be composed of a larger English speaking population and that population is going to be far worse than what you experience here.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 9, 2012, 03:34 AM
I think I'm sticking to the jp servers for a good while as well. Maybe I'll try bring the few people I want to play it to the jp servers too. I hate restarting my characters...so far I love it on the jp server with everyone from here.

Halcyote
Jul 9, 2012, 03:36 AM
Whatever happened to that teaser website that was supposedly going to be available "within the hour"?
do we forget how bad the psu community team was with updating the official site?

i mean they still never updated the site with banners to any events after MAG

jooozek
Jul 9, 2012, 03:43 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2067254&postcount=146

Nothing relevant in that post. Thanks for trying, though.

Fujiko
Jul 9, 2012, 03:48 AM
I am not sure how to feel about it... I am happy at the news. At the same time, I am feeling doubts again with the early 2013 release and how SEGA handled PSU. If they came out and just said global servers in the presser, great! However, they didn't.

With that release date, my circle of friends are saying they are passing on PSO2 and just going to invest in Guild Wars 2, now that the game is out soon.

Maronji
Jul 9, 2012, 03:51 AM
At the same time, I am feeling doubts again with the spring 2013 release
You might wanna look at the press release again. It doesn't say "Spring" on it anywhere, just "Early" 2013 (which could be January or February for all we know). I even CTRL+F'ed to make sure, and there's not an instance of the word "Spring" on the front page anywhere.

Not sure if the article was modified at some point while I wasn't looking (I'll admit I didn't look at it that closely the first time) or if people are jumping to conclusions on this, though.

Fujiko
Jul 9, 2012, 03:53 AM
You might wanna look at the press release again. It doesn't say "Spring" on it anywhere, just "Early" 2012 (which could be January or February for all we know). I even CTRL+F'ed to make sure, and there's not an instance of the word "Spring" on the front page anywhere.

Not sure if the article was modified at some point while I wasn't looking (I'll admit I didn't look at it that closely the first time) or if people are jumping to conclusions on this, though.

Fair enough, I always assumed "early 2013" is spring, just a habit I have.

TheBlackMage
Jul 9, 2012, 03:54 AM
I'm going to switch to the NA version upon release, I know my friends in RL won't play the JP version due to the language barrier no matter how much I explained to them how you can easily navigate the game without knowing Japanese.

I'd be able to pick up a few things I may have missed out on in the JP version due to the language barrier and when the NA servers eventually go down (as much as I was hoping for integrated servers I doubt it will happen now...) I'll just switch back to the JP version with my newly obtained knowledge and enjoy the game for even more years to come since the JP servers will be up for a much longer period of time not to mention all the content updates to look forward to.

Either way I win. *shrug*

[EDIT] I will admit it's going to be hard to pull them away from GW2 and FFXIV 2.0 since the release is so late but at least with the F2P option it'll be easier to get them to try it, if PSO2 was P2P I bet they wouldn't have waited this long. : x

BahnKnakyu
Jul 9, 2012, 03:57 AM
You might wanna look at the press release again. It doesn't say "Spring" on it anywhere, just "Early" 2013 (which could be January or February for all we know). I even CTRL+F'ed to make sure, and there's not an instance of the word "Spring" on the front page anywhere.

The first posting had it as Spring 2013, they edited it to say early 2013. Not his fault.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 9, 2012, 03:57 AM
http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/PSO2-Basic-Settings-450x337.png

The drop down menu is "Language Selection"
If they made it so English was on there, everything is solved. People downloading the NA/EU client would just have that option set to English as the only difference between it and the JP client
Then they just make 5 more ships and designate them as NA/EU ships, and give free ship transfer to NA/EU people that joined early
Then support Paypal with a specific English AC site (pso2.com anyone?)
Then they get all the money

Although I'm sure plenty of people have already said this. They don't need to pull a PSU

Maronji
Jul 9, 2012, 04:02 AM
The first posting had it as Spring 2013, they edited it to say early 2013. Not his fault.

Reread my post again.

See, I put that there for a reason. Also, I didn't have any way of seeing the post until I realized that I couldn't see it until I was logged in (at the time; it seems to have changed now), so to be fair, I had little to no way of knowing that it was modified at some point or not (because it could've been modified before I even saw it in the first place).

Noxia
Jul 9, 2012, 04:02 AM
Pouny just hopes they won't separate US and Europe servers.
And same for updates, i hope they won't do like PSU.

But since PSU had many lobbies and we were all squatered among them (so it's hard to cross each other). On PSO2, finding people to play with won't be a problem since all mission are centered on the same NPC. (and we can see the number of people on blocks selection).

Who knows ? Maybe we shall be able to switch langage on Japanese client later ?

WHlTEKNIGHT
Jul 9, 2012, 04:06 AM
quick question, do the premium players have access to seporate servers aswell as being able to mix with the freeplayers? might get a bit less bs if that happend.

jooozek
Jul 9, 2012, 04:11 AM
No, there is no premium ships (servers).

Freshellent
Jul 9, 2012, 04:19 AM
I like how people in the community complain about how no one plays this series, and here's a chance to show people who don't the easy way to get into the game and most of you are like "NAH SON, IMMA GET DOWN ON THAT JP INSTEAD"

Yes, we'll prolly be behind on content. But do you honestly think that matters to a lot of the newcomers? They can't even tell a difference. And chances are if we show SEGA that there's a boatload of new players, willing to get started, it'll blow up into something better.

At least, one can hope.

Regardless, I'm happy to hear that it's coming our direction at all. I'll be playing on our own servers. Someone's putting the effort forward into at least trying, seems rude to just ignore that.

MiaRitz
Jul 9, 2012, 04:19 AM
A year from now? hmm. I will probably play on the western version during jp server downtime and while bored from capping everything I wanted to play but ill keep a tight hold on my jp server chars.

I can still feel the kick in the teeth from when PSU servers went down, but I want to give them a chance to redeem themselves. I will probably buy premium on western release aswell, even If dont actually end up playing on it much, just to support the series.

alacuata
Jul 9, 2012, 04:26 AM
Support NA servers going live folks! There's no reason to stay pro JP just because mistakes in the past.

I for one have not even played PSO2 yet and I am waiting for this release. This is the news that I have waited forever for. Spread the PSO 2 love, not condemn it.

CelestialBlade
Jul 9, 2012, 04:32 AM
Currently very torn between wanting to support an NA server and not wanting to sacrifice service in order to do so.

I dunno, it's probably something I won't decide on until the time comes. It'll really depend on where my friends go. Still really don't get why the servers have to be separate anyway, aside from SoJ vs. SoA BS. I guess I can play on both for a bit and see what happens.

Regardless, this IS good news for NA, and we'll see what happens. I'm not gonna make a permanent decision this early.

Xenoguner
Jul 9, 2012, 04:40 AM
I like how people in the community complain about how no one plays this series, and here's a chance to show people who don't the easy way to get into the game and most of you are like "NAH SON, IMMA GET DOWN ON THAT JP INSTEAD"

Yes, we'll prolly be behind on content. But do you honestly think that matters to a lot of the newcomers? They can't even tell a difference. And chances are if we show SEGA that there's a boatload of new players, willing to get started, it'll blow up into something better.

At least, one can hope.

Regardless, I'm happy to hear that it's coming our direction at all. I'll be playing on our own servers. Someone's putting the effort forward into at least trying, seems rude to just ignore that.

Best message I read today on this thread. Agreed.

Darki
Jul 9, 2012, 04:43 AM

At least, one can hope.

So, you think that newcommers won't be able to use teh internetz to check what's going on on JP servers, and be able to see the content that they won't get in probably a year (I hope they release the game ONLY 8 months behind schedule, as it's going to be released 8 months later, I'd be surprised that the game is released at the same content level as JP), that they won't care about the crap management, about the community being made of mouth-fouled assholes and other -sadly- western gamer fauna (which exists everywhere but apparently not so visible in asian servers, in all my experience in them which is not too bad); and also the fact that the servers, be it good or bad, are going to close earlier than the JP?

Sorry. I appreciate the hard work of SoA, but if I was a "newcommer" and they gave me both choices, to have the game always behind content, with a much worse community and knowing that it's gonna close earlier, I'd make the same choice. You consider me rude for ignoring those efforts, but I think you're ignoring the "efforts" that SEGA has put into alienate, ignore, reduce and utterly fuck off most of us.

I had already one of the worst experiences with an online game with PSU. I literally LOVED that game, and if they made PSO2 with some of the features that PSU and PSPo2 had I'd be the happiest gamer in the world, but is not my fault for deciding to switch over to JP and finally leave the game out of disgust and boredom. They make the game to make money. that's true, but their work, is to entertain us. I won't give them my money if they do the game wrong, and they did it very bad with PSU. I'm afraid that it's going to happen all over again, and don't blame me dor that, I didn't ruin the game.

I can hope they do it well, but I've already started in JP. The fact that when it is released in US/EU I'll be already 8~9 months ahead of whatever I do if I start over will always be there. IF (and a big "if") they show me that they're doing things well this time I'd consider it, but sadly the fact that I'm alrasdy "established" in the JP one will affect my decission.

Freshellent
Jul 9, 2012, 04:50 AM
It's not a question of intelligence, Darkie. It's a matter of effort on the players too. I can list about 10 of my friends that won't bother because it's not an NA server, I'm guessing there's some friends that everyone here has that won't make that effort to play on JP, for various reasons.

We need to stop playing the victim here and give them a shot. We've all been burned, we get it. Now get over it, it's a game and it brought us all this so far. Let's make it worth their while.

Cloud774
Jul 9, 2012, 04:51 AM
Why is everyone saying 1 year later? It clearly says early 2013 which is 6months away..

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 9, 2012, 04:56 AM
Why is everyone saying 1 year later? It clearly says early 2013 which is 6months away..

Fixed that for ya :P

Early would "generally" mean between January-March but that's just a grey area until more info is given on it....

I'm sure the answer is no....but if one is able to "move" across servers...that would be neat.

Cloud774
Jul 9, 2012, 05:07 AM
Ahh i see and thank you! :]

Polly
Jul 9, 2012, 05:10 AM
We need to stop playing the victim here and give them a shot. We've all been burned, we get it. Now get over it, it's a game and it brought us all this so far. Let's make it worth their while.

I think that's kind of a backwards way of looking at it, personally. I don't think anyone here, who has been through the twelve years mismanagement that Sega has put them through, is wrong for feeling that it'll just happen again. The track record speaks for itself, especially when money is potentially* involved. People want to be treated fairly, and it's up to either Sega of Japan or Sega of America to do right by these people.

When exactly does good faith run out, if not after 12 years of mismanagement? It's different for everyone, sure, but I don't think anybody's wrong for going into this either hesitant or unwilling to support a company that hasn't really always done right by them.

note: *money is optional this time, but obviously there will be reasons for some to want to put money into the system.

Fujiko
Jul 9, 2012, 05:11 AM
http://www.pso2.com/games/phantasy-star-online-2/?v=4632

Looks like the teaser video is up on the SEGA website. It's just the opening cinematic with a check www.pso2.com at the end.

White Midnight
Jul 9, 2012, 05:12 AM

Most people are referring to the level of content between the JP servers and the localized ones, assuming we are getting separated from the Japanese servers with the 6-9 month localization process.

We were, literally, a year, perhaps more, behind on content on PSU comparedto JP PSU for various reasons, none of them were good.

Freshellent
Jul 9, 2012, 05:16 AM
I'm going to let them have their shot, and I want them to know that there are people willing to let it happen. I'll bet anything they read these forums and people talk about enough that they go "Why should we even bother, if they are just gonna ignore it anyway?"

I'm not saying I'm going to turn a blind eye to abuse, I'm definitely saying that everyone deserves a chance. Even after 12 years.

Flame
Jul 9, 2012, 05:26 AM
on the bright side, maybe this will mean the game launches with more than 4 areas in the US. Im a little worried that the game will be critically slammed for having close to no content by the US press (and what little content it does have being repetitive). They're pretty hard on J-rpgs as it is. And yes, reviews are important. They define a franchise's reputation.

Polly
Jul 9, 2012, 05:34 AM
I'm going to let them have their shot, and I want them to know that there are people willing to let it happen. I'll bet anything they read these forums and people talk about enough that they go "Why should we even bother, if they are just gonna ignore it anyway?"

I'm not saying I'm going to turn a blind eye to abuse, I'm definitely saying that everyone deserves a chance. Even after 12 years.

Personally, (I can't speak for everyone who's hesitant to trust Sega of Japan/America again), it's not that I don't care. I love PSO. I want PSO to succeed because it's a series (along with the original Phantasy Star games) that I enjoy. I want the game to hit Steam and draw in a whole new crowd (for better or worse some might argue). I'm the kind of person that when I like something, I want to try and get others to like it too. I haven't shut up about PSO2 on my twitterbox and I'm sure all my friends are sick to death of it.

The problem is...I feel like if I fall for it again, I'm still just rewarding bad behavior. Whoever is actually in charge of PSO/PSU's update schedules, development, and localization has consistently been off the mark and standoffish to territories outside of Japan. This has been their only mark of consistency.

Another problem I worry about is the Arkz Cash system and Sega's track record of absolutely busted billing systems. People not being able to pay, being double and triple charged for items is gonna be a really big deal when you're dealing with transactions on a micro scale like the ones in PSO2.

I think it's great to be excited about the game, because a lot of us honestly never thought it'd see a western release anyway. But, I think whoever it is that does read this stuff needs to know that they've got some players who have been burnt in the past that want to and need to be impressed before they'll support a domestic version of the game.

gigawuts
Jul 9, 2012, 05:35 AM
I'll be staying on the JP servers no matter what they do (That is, if I'm even still playing by that point).

I've learned my lesson with SoA. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me three times...you can't fool me again.

edit: And anyone who thinks they owe anyone anything without actually owing them anything with regards to business is a fool. JP PSO owes me access to the stuff I bought. I got it. Exchange completed. I will not owe SoA anything no matter how hard they work, cry, sweat, or bleed, until we mutually agree on it. I am not entitled and neither are they. They could move the freaking moon, and if I don't want it it won't mean a damn thing to me or my wallet. I'm not paying for a service that I have no reason to expect anything good from.

Limni
Jul 9, 2012, 06:04 AM
Edit: Seems like the teaser site is up http://www.pso2.com

Taken from the trailer on SEGA's website

http://i.imgur.com/d1zK8.jpg

A brilliant start.

I'm hoping SEGA takes a page out of Square-Enix's book when it comes to MMOs as FFXI had no issues with global servers. Interestingly enough there was a 5 month gap between JP and NA release and the head-start that the JP client had didn't even matter after a month.

Spellbinder
Jul 9, 2012, 06:13 AM
I'm hoping SEGA takes a page out of Square-Enix's book when it comes to MMOs as FFXI had no issues with global servers. Interestingly enough there was a 5 month gap between JP and NA release and the head-start that the JP client had didn't even matter after a month.

Perhaps no issues in terms of people being able to log into the same servers and have no time gaps in content between regions, but I'd hardly say there were no issues. You should have seen the look on Japanese people's faces on release day (since there was no prior notification of an international release). But let's not go down that dark road with a "JP Only" sign on it, everyone knows we'll get lost and never find our way home again.

Agitated_AT
Jul 9, 2012, 06:19 AM
Who'se even bothered to play the boring game and grind they're characters once more? Seriously this game is really terrible as of now to become the great succes it deserves to be. Japanese people are still ok with terrible gamedesign like this, but in the west there's no way they're gonna attract a bigger audience with how terribly not engaging the game is, and how terrible the grinding is. This game is not worth a western release as of now if you ask me. However I am going to support it and give my feedback.

CelestialBlade
Jul 9, 2012, 06:26 AM
Just a stream of thoughts, now that I've thought about this for a bit. I've been through about 50 different stances on this during my drive to work alone.

I'm all kinds of torn on this, personally. I think it's important that we realize that this release is for us and it's something we should feel lucky for and something we should appreciate. We shouldn't expect anyone in Sega to give a shit about us if we're not even going to support our own servers. On the other hand, we lived a quality/support nightmare in PSU and the thought of already starting out a year behind JP's content level is discouraging. Even as recently as PSP2, the NA/EU side got the shaft--we got no DLC and didn't even get Infinity. It's a tough issue to deal with because while it's annoying, it'll also never get better unless we support our own servers.

Aside from the moral and quality issues, there's also the question of where my friends are going to play. Many from here and other such places are very adamant about staying on JP right now (though I imagine at least 50% of them are just going with the crowd and would quickly flip to the NA/EU side if that became popular) so I wouldn't want to ditch my established character and jump ship if nobody's coming with me. There's also the AC issue, as I'm still a little uncomfortable with making a fake JP address for it.

Another issue, and this is more of a personal one, is time. As I get older (the realization that I'll be 27 this month kinda hit me like a truck) I'm finding that my gaming time has been converted more and more into time I must devote to real-life responsibilities, and I don't forsee this trend changing. As I get better jobs and if a family of my own is indeed in my future then this trend only accelerates, so I should make the most of the youth I do have left. This makes the idea of waiting for Spring that much harder.

I still don't understand why we even need separate servers anyway. The content gap doesn't *have* to exist and that thought alone bothers me.

So right now I'm in a "wait and see" mentality. I want to see if SoA has anything to say on content gaps and I want to see where my friends are going...plus I'm clearly not set in my stance of what I feel is right regarding this anyway. I really do want to support our servers and I think it's the "right" thing to do, but SoA is going to have to convince me a little too. Plus there's been no English patch from the community yet, and may never be.

The option of playing on both servers, like Arika and Espio and others did in PSU, is sounding like a nice idea too. Maybe I'll end up gravitating towards that, so we'll see.

Vashyron
Jul 9, 2012, 06:31 AM
http://www.pso2.com/us/html/community.html

A supergiant flying fortress made to be the final line of defence. Can Sonic fend off the relentless chase from Metal Sonic in a high-altitude battle? :wacko:

Placeholder text.

DreXxiN
You're going to be 27? Jesus that's hard to imagine XD. One thing I will say is the multiserver idea is a MUCH easier possibility for two reasons now:

1.) The game is free. You don't really have any obligation to 'buy' both copies and 'sub' to both copies or anything like that. I mean you could but you don't need to. If anything you could be free on one and premium on the other or free on both.

2.) You're already on JP, so you can always fall back to this if US doesn't work out. That's my thought process. I, too, want to support the fact that they are bringing the game out internationally.

EDIT: Wow, looks like they put a lot of work into pso2.com. That kind of pumps me up because it looks really amazing.

Fujiko
Just noticed a certain logo on the pso2.com website 8)

http://i.imgur.com/lr4Qq.jpg

Limni
Jul 9, 2012, 06:33 AM
Perhaps no issues in terms of people being able to log into the same servers and have no time gaps in content between regions, but I'd hardly say there were no issues. You should have seen the look on Japanese people's faces on release day (since there was no prior notification of an international release). But let's not go down that dark road with a "JP Only" sign on it, everyone knows we'll get lost and never find our way home again.

I remember JP Only all too well. But the concept of global servers was an entirely new concept back then. People tend to stick with their own language and auto-translate in that game didn't cut it.

On a side note, I find it interesting that they link the the current Facebook page for PSO2 on the teaser site which could mean that they're gonna go global.

xBladeM6x
Jul 9, 2012, 06:36 AM
Just noticed a certain logo on the pso2.com website 8)

http://i.imgur.com/lr4Qq.jpg

Possible business partnership? Me thinks.

DemonMike
Jul 9, 2012, 06:36 AM

:wacko:

Placeholder text.

JUNE 23RD 2013 RELEASE DATA CONFIRMED.

Nah, it's for intelligence purposes. All people here admitting to staying on the JP server will have their accounts banned.

DreXxiN
Jul 9, 2012, 06:37 AM

I didn't even notice that; that is awesome!

jooozek
Jul 9, 2012, 06:39 AM
Who'se even bothered to play the boring game and grind they're characters once more? Seriously this game is really terrible as of now to become the great succes it deserves to be. Japanese people are still ok with terrible gamedesign like this, but in the west there's no way they're gonna attract a bigger audience with how terribly not engaging the game is, and how terrible the grinding is. This game is not worth a western release as of now if you ask me. However I am going to support it and give my feedback.
You can always ignore PSO2 and sulk in a corner because seriously, while there might be people who think like you but that's a minority. And the game certainly isn't boring.

eclipsezero
Jul 9, 2012, 06:47 AM
uuuuuuuh
I am still unable to access pso2.com, all I get is the Welcome to Sega page...
How are you peeps accessing this D:

TerminalMontage
Jul 9, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hmmm, if I go to "like" it on facebook, there isn't a special "US PSO2 facebook" it takes me to the japanese facebook.. HINTING AT WORLDWIDE SERVERS?

gigawuts
Jul 9, 2012, 06:50 AM

:wacko:

Placeholder text.

SoA don't neva change.

D-Inferno
Why do I get the feeling that the Vita version is behind the distant release date?

And also, it's possible that SEGA might want the international release of PSO2 to be a more complete game. Anyone who looked at the datamining thread should know that a LOT of content is "missing", and that said content are probably part of the opening updates.

PSO2 atm still has a couple of "flaws" to remove, and considering that Phantasy Star isn't exactly the most popular series, SEGA probably wants the game to be as complete and polished as possible to please international review sites as well as the general audience.

Not to mention that this does give SEGA more time to announce different versions on different consoles. Lets be honest; not evertone wants to buy a high-end PC, and PSO2's graphics are nothing special at all (it still needs to stay the far f*** away from Xox 360 though, unless "PSO2 360" got an FFXI treatment).

Darki
It's not a question of intelligence, Darkie. It's a matter of effort on the players too. I can list about 10 of my friends that won't bother because it's not an NA server, I'm guessing there's some friends that everyone here has that won't make that effort to play on JP, for various reasons.

But then, we could say the same on many people here. Many of us who are in the JP servers already are not willing to take the effort to start over when we will have been playing for almost a year already in the japanese servers, with a community already formed.

Also, I'm not from NA. Sorry if I sound harsh, but for all I care, SoA could burn in hell right now, as much as could do SoJ if it was the opposite case. English is as foreign language to me as japanese is. For me the language is not a problem. And I see more pros than cons in playing in the JP servers compared to the US ones.

if I had to support one server, I'd go with the JP one simply because it's the real deal. I don't really feel more commitment to one or another. I just hope they go with the really good possibility, which is global release and SoA just manages the translations.

I'm not playing the victim. What I'm playing is a videogame, which is supposed to be for fun. A videogame for me is not worth any sacrifice, I'm sorry, and I'm not going to waste my time and money giving a chance to a company that made me waste already years of my life and at the end I had to switch to the JP servers (at a point in which I was so burned already that I didn't even enjoy it much anymore).

So, i'm not going to give them a shot. I'm going to play in the server where I'm already playing, and when the US server comes, I won't probably play it, because I'll be too much ahead in content and gameplay in the JP server to just start again. And by the time they prove me that they're actually not doing the same crappy work with it (which I highly doubt), it will ber already too late, again, because I'll have been even more time in the JP servers.

As I stated in the fist paragraph, it's not the fact that I got my ass burned with the US version of PSU, I can get over with that, but I'm too lazy to start over. I'd give it a shot if SEGA had showed itself trustworty, but the story is different.

Jonth
Jul 9, 2012, 06:51 AM

I have to ask what kind of games you find engaging? First person shooters, WoW-clones, action adventure games like Assassins Creed? Because personally, those are the kind of games I don't enjoy. These are the kind of games that have caused me to feel let down by new gen gaming. Although I have decided playing on the Japanese server is not for me, the game play itself was not the reason for that. I loved the game play actually.

But seriously, please tell me the kind of games you are comparing PSO2 with, so that I can know where you are coming from. To me, this game is pretty darn awesome.

jooozek
Jul 9, 2012, 06:52 AM
I like how the road map for the japanese version goes only to winter with Vita release in spring 2013 and the english release is early 2013.

Zipzo
Jul 9, 2012, 06:53 AM
Why do I get the feeling that the Vita version is behind the distant release date?

And also, it's possible that SEGA might want the international release of PSO2 to be a more complete game. Anyone who looked at the datamining thread should know that a LOT of content is "missing", and that said content are probably part of the opening updates.

PSO2 atm still has a couple of "flaws" to remove, and considering that Phantasy Star isn't exactly the most popular series, SEGA probably wants the game to be as complete and polished as possible to please international review sites as well as the general audience.

Not to mention that this does give SEGA more time to announce different versions on different consoles. Lets be honest; not evertone wants to buy a high-end PC, and PSO2's graphics are nothing special at all (it still needs to stay the far f*** away from Xox 360 though, unless "PSO2 360" got an FFXI treatment).
It needs to stay far the f away from any console.

Sorry, bruh. I do like how in the same sentence you say that nobody wants to buy a high end PC, followed by saying that PSO isn't high end in graphics anyway.

If they aren't high end, you won't need a high end PC.

gigawuts
Jul 9, 2012, 06:59 AM
I am really, really, really hoping for international servers. It would be such a great step up from PSO1, and if they keep adding stuff like the tundra's actually fun enemies and that one timed mission my only gripe left will be the grinding system (which to be fair is probably how they're going to be making most of their money).

The only issue left is that quick chat thing that translates for foreign languages.

Darki
Jul 9, 2012, 06:59 AM
My computer is like 6 years old, motherboard is 10 years old and I can play the game in max graphics with a graphics card that's not even new (bought it 3 or 4 years ago). It has a couple issues but more due to the computer's deterioration than specs. I'm sure a computer that can run the game at full graphics is not expensive, nor high-end.

AC9breaker
Jul 9, 2012, 07:00 AM
Wooot! Color me surprised and happy! Finally I'll be able to enjoy this game. I seriously thought Sega wasn't gonna localize this game. Plus they also give me plenty of time to save up for a boss ass Gaming Laptop as well as possibly give the game enough time so that at NA release date we should have plenty of content. (although I'm dubious on that last statement)

Polly
Jul 9, 2012, 07:16 AM
Another issue, and this is more of a personal one, is time. As I get older (the realization that I'll be 27 this month kinda hit me like a truck) I'm finding that my gaming time has been converted more and more into time I must devote to real-life responsibilities, and I don't forsee this trend changing. As I get better jobs and if a family of my own is indeed in my future then this trend only accelerates, so I should make the most of the youth I do have left. This makes the idea of waiting for Spring that much harder.

Can/Relate++. I'm only 31 and I already feel with all the responsibilities I have, I just don't have as much game time as I used to and would like. Beyond responsibilities, I find that I generally would rather hang out with real life friends when the opportunity arises or planning a night out, rather than burning my eyeballs out in front of a computer monitor or TV.

D-Inferno
Jul 9, 2012, 07:30 AM
I myself got a high-end PC, and it will certainly be what I use to play PSO2, as well as the superior version of games like Skyrim. However, not everyone wants what I and others want. Let's be honest, the onky real reason to use a desktop is for either gaming or business, and I'm not even sure about the latter unless it involves a lot of power from a computer. People are using iPhones, Androids, small laptops, and the like to browse the internet and do other multimedia functions. Gaming consoles are also (sadly) more popular than PCs (Nintendo's excused though). And all of those are cheaper than a powerful desktop, and that's not even accounting the portability of some of those things. Think of this scenario: A Nintendo fan who played PSO back in the GC days is a loyal Nintendo fan, and wants PSO2. He/she only uses a Wii U, 3DS, and maybe one other non-Ninty console. They use a smaller device for Internet and other multimedia. Would they really want to get a desktop JUST for PSO2? A Wii U version would be ideal (assuming the Wii U had an HD of course...). Same could be said about a X360/PS3 user.

While PSO2'srimary home will always be the PC, placing it on other consoles could really help expand it;s audience, and given SEGA's current situation, they probably would need the cash.

Agitated_AT
Jul 9, 2012, 07:34 AM
You can always ignore PSO2 and sulk in a corner because seriously, while there might be people who think like you but that's a minority. And the game certainly isn't boring.
Unless one is selfish, yeah it's easy to be overall satisfied with the bad implementations of certain mechanics. But really it will ruin the overall apeal and succes of the franchise, which is something u may not care about, but I do. PSO is a franchise that is very dear to me and SEGA too, I wanted pso2 to succeed untill I discovered these major flaws in the game. JP player dont mind as I said, but west players don't like that sort of game design anymore.

When you're only talking about apeal to anime and pso/u fans, it would be very unfortunate if the game only ended up apealing only to them. The thing is, PSO deserves alot better, and shouldnt be held back by such silly decisions when the combat is so amazing.

I have to ask what kind of games you find engaging? First person shooters, WoW-clones, action adventure games like Assassins Creed? Because personally, those are the kind of games I don't enjoy. These are the kind of games that have caused me to feel let down by new gen gaming. Although I have decided playing on the Japanese server is not for me, the game play itself was not the reason for that. I loved the game play actually.

But seriously, please tell me the kind of games you are comparing PSO2 with, so that I can know where you are coming from. To me, this game is pretty darn awesome.

http://www.spiralknights.com/

Heavily inspired by pso1 and one of the most heavily skill emphasized mmo's out there. Please try it out

gigawuts
Jul 9, 2012, 07:34 AM
Putting it on consoles would also limit the updates.

I do agree putting it on consoles would be nice, I'd like to easily play it on my TV for one thing - without fiddling with extra wires and cards on my computer - but consoles are both limited and reaching the end of their lifetimes. PSO2 being on PS3 will do no good when the PS4 comes out. If they put it on the PS4 AND the PS3, well, it would be a first for an online game to have connectivity between the last gen and the next gen, in addition to PC's and handhelds to boot. It's possible, but doesn't come off as something Sega would do for a new game (or ever, honestly).

FerrPSO
Jul 9, 2012, 07:44 AM
but west players don't like that sort of game design anymore

Im a western player, I dont give a crap about manga/anime, and I enjoy alot this game. And I know some people who feels like me. I dont understant what are you talking about.
You dont like it? fine, but lets not pretend you know how everyone will feel about this game.

jooozek
Jul 9, 2012, 07:47 AM
http://www.spiralknights.com/

Heavily inspired by pso1 and one of the most heavily skill emphasized mmo's out there. Please try it out
Didn't you just complain about the grind in PSO2? Spiral Knights is even more of a grind and surely doesn't take more skill to play it. Monsters in that game are really flegmatic and if you get hit, its because of the latency, not because you suck. Not to mention you get a limited amount of play daily unless you want to pay.

gigawuts
Jul 9, 2012, 07:55 AM
I do agree that most western gamers just don't have the patience for the kind of game PSO2 is, or more specifically the content PSO2 has (see: doesn't have).

Just compare the guild counter in PSO1 with the quests in PSO2. Go ahead. There's actual things to do in PSO1 past reaching the main objective, and no client orders and matter board do not count since you'd be killing things anyway. There's no story to a quest if all it is is you going somewhere and killing a noodle dragon. In PSO1 quests you'd be sent to kill a boss on occasion, but things would actually transpire on the way there. Remember Mome and how much you hated him for deserting you at the boss? NPC's unrelated to the quest at hand wind up having their own storyline accessed almost completely in quests that are unrelated to them (Bernie and Sue, for instance).

Small, tiny bits of that are here, mostly in the form of the matter board and the client orders. I don't personally find them intuitive. It's not a language thing either, they just seem generic and unspecific to me. PSO1's system was fairly intuitive: If you go to the boss as soon as you open up an area, you will probably get stomped so you do quests to level up instead. This gets you access to content with a bit more depth than "hey kill 20 garongos and I'll give you some experience okay."

That's a big part of what made PSO1 so successful. PSO2 is fun, but I can't imagine it would appeal much to the broader, more impatient audience in the west. Especially not when there's already more established games with far more meat on their bones.

Ifrian-x
Jul 9, 2012, 07:58 AM
One year behind in release and most probably in updates too?
Another western PS failure before it even releases.

Grats Sega.
You never fail to disappoint me.

Agitated_AT
Jul 9, 2012, 07:59 AM
Didn't you just complain about the grind in PSO2? Spiral Knights is even more of a grind and surely doesn't take more skill to play it. Monsters in that game are really flegmatic and if you get hit, its because of the latency, not because you suck. Not to mention you get a limited amount of play daily unless you want to pay.

Lol are you serious. Let me first question why you think it's a grind? Secondly the latency has become history long time ago so I assume the last time you played must have been longer than a year ago. Nonetheless it is still heavily emphasized on skill to progress. Have 1 bad player in the team and you WILL notice(have 3 other average players and the end will be hard/impossible to reach), have 4 great players and getting to the end and killing the boss is more satisfying than anything else in the game. There is incentive to do the levels, but the best part is that the levels themselves are very engaging and satisfying on the contrary to pso2, so it's a win win in spiral knights.

Im a western player, I dont give a crap about manga/anime, and I enjoy alot this game. And I know some people who feels like me. I dont understant what are you talking about.
You dont like it? fine, but lets not pretend you know how everyone will feel about this game.
"Generally". If I only cared about what I thought, I wouldn't be making these posts

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 08:01 AM
If the North American and European versions tank, it won't have a damn thing to do with them being in English. Of course, but some here will blame it on that.. :P

jooozek
Jul 9, 2012, 08:03 AM
Latency has become history? Nice crap you give me here, I'm from EU and even with the addition of the EU servers in December you can still feel the latency. I'm getting 4 bars all the time. And if you think shivering vanaduke and blitzing him takes skill just shows how much you know what is actual skill.
Where is the grind? Just look at the current CE price, use your brain to connect it with the payouts of T1 and T2 and you get the grind.

scorpio4484
Jul 9, 2012, 08:05 AM
One year behind in release and most probably in updates too?
Another western PS failure before it even releases.

Grats Sega.
You never fail to disappoint me.

This^

sugarFO
Jul 9, 2012, 08:07 AM
If the servers are global I probably shouldn't have bought AC? :/

scorpio4484
Jul 9, 2012, 08:08 AM

Go back to WoW then, your obviously not a PSO fan at all because this game is great the way it is, and there is plenty of updates on the way, what more can you expect from a FREE GAME

Agitated_AT
Jul 9, 2012, 08:10 AM
Latency has become history? Nice crap you give me here, I'm from EU and even with the addition of the EU servers in December you can still feel the latency. I'm getting 4 bars all the time. And if you think shivering vanaduke and blitzing him takes skill just shows how much you know what is actual skill.

.... how strange. It does but i'll agree to disagree. I think there may be a little bit of latency but none of it is gamebreaking. And besides, I can imagine that spiral knight's gameplay is hard to make without a little of it. If the game wasn't so hard you probably wouldn't have complained at all. I mean as in it wouldn't have been an issue, but since enemies will do anything to kill you, getting hit sucks hence you are forced to become better. In pso2 (lol), I was afk the whole time while auto following one of my mates, an hour later I was leveled up and still alive without being touched once, and this was on hard

jooozek
Jul 9, 2012, 08:11 AM
I don't need to complain about Spiral Knights being easy, the official forums do that very well.

Agitated_AT
Jul 9, 2012, 08:14 AM
I don't need to complain about Spiral Knights being easy, the official forums do that very well.

Just shows how challenge is very wanted and makes the absency of it in pso2 even more baffling(while spiral knights average difficulty is harder than pso2). It's only one of pso2's "major" issues. Because if the issues were minor I probably wouldn't have cared. Pso2 has such amazing combat, such a great world, such a good atmoshphere and the music is beautiful. The emphasis on grinding with nothing that's engaging you at all are decisive issues. I'm complaining while I still keep playing and supporting the game. Other people won't

gigawuts
Jul 9, 2012, 08:14 AM
Go back to WoW then, your obviously not a PSO fan at all because this game is great the way it is, and there is plenty of updates on the way, what more can you expect from a FREE GAME

So this is a pretty great example of everything you shouldn't do in this kind of thread. Or any thread, actually.

Ifrian-x
Jul 9, 2012, 08:15 AM
I gotta love EU/US sega´s logic.

Sega EU/US CEO: "Hey mike! PSU pc flunked in the eu/us because there was barely any update and the game was like, one year behind in content, we need to do something about pso2 so it succeeds"

Sega EU/US staff member: "Hm, what about releasing the game one year later, potentially screwing said updates by very default and making our possible audience wait needlessly for a year, and allowing newer action mmo´s to be released? O3O"

Sega EU/US CEO: "That´s excellent thinking! Have a promotion!"

SEEEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAAAAAA