PDA

View Full Version : Would it be wrong to want PSO2 on Steam?

ChronoTrigga
Jul 9, 2012, 01:49 AM
Plus it'd be incentive for TF2 hat pre-orders ;o

DeltaSonic
Jul 9, 2012, 01:51 AM
Nothing wrong with it. It'd definitely boost awareness of the game.

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 01:58 AM
If Sega had sense steam would be key. Alas they have no sense.

Polly
Jul 9, 2012, 01:59 AM
I'd say getting it on Steam is pretty damn essential for it having a shot at success, especially if they can get it featured on the storefront with an eye-grab at one point, specifically emphasizing that it's free to play.

Misaki Ki
Jul 9, 2012, 02:00 AM
It would be the right thing to do, but I can't see them doing it.

DeltaSonic
Jul 9, 2012, 02:01 AM
Well hey they released Sonic Generations on Steam, and I wasn't even expecting a PC release for that at all.

EvilMag
Jul 9, 2012, 02:03 AM
Fuck no. I don't want the terrible community that flocks on F2P games on Steam.

Keiko_Seisha
Jul 9, 2012, 02:04 AM
I don't see why they couldn't. Sega already has quite a bunch of games featured on Steam and Steam has been pushing Free to Play MMOs lately (and helping them out in the process).

Polly
Jul 9, 2012, 02:08 AM

Less people = Less chance of the game surviving. Steam is a proven platform and has proven successful for countless releases. It'd be absolutely stupid of Sega to not at least consider Steam. Like it or not, a lot of the tardmos that inhabit those games are either paying into those games' respective systems or have the potential to. Bottom line is that PSO2 needs all the eyes and players it can get and to ignore Steam would be almost suicidal for the product.

Sega hasn't exactly shied away from PC gaming and Steam over the course of the last year anyway, so I'd say it's a given it'll be there.

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 02:08 AM

And PSO's is so refined?

Zarode
Jul 9, 2012, 02:09 AM
And PSO's is so refined?

Refined when you learn how to shift through it, yes. :wacko:

ChronoTrigga
Jul 9, 2012, 02:09 AM

That's what I fear of, but I also remembered that I've only played on one server on Team Fortress 2 since launch pretty much. Animal House's 24/7 Dustbowl Server....which I eventually joined the clan. So I'm pretty sure I'll have my own private little ship/block with our entire clan on it. Kind of like how I've always done in PSO games. Umbriel 13/13 ftw on DC. :D

ShinMaruku
Jul 9, 2012, 02:10 AM

Then adding steam would only be a boon.

Halcyote
Jul 9, 2012, 02:33 AM

blacklist all the players!

DreXxiN
Jul 9, 2012, 02:48 AM
I think Steam would be the best business decision. Sure it might bring in some bad blood, but there is always the option of staying away from the most populated areas where that might be an issue or ignoring the troublemakers.

Honestly, a successful Phantasy Star title is something we REALLY need internationally right now.

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 02:51 AM
Offering it through Steam would be a good way to get the game some visibility.

Offering it exclusively through Steam would be pants-crappingly retarded.

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 9, 2012, 02:52 AM
I use steam on it all the time and people always ask what PSO2 is lol

CommanderLovely
Jul 9, 2012, 02:54 AM
Not like it matters, You'd be crazy to jump ship after SoA's track record.
The game will be about 20 patches behind and be shut down in a year or two.
It really isn't worth it. We've all seen how SoA does things in the past. There won't be any marketing past day 1, nobody will know about the game and it will sadly die in NA.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 9, 2012, 02:55 AM
I use steam on it all the time and people always ask what PSO2 is lol
I also run PSO2 through steam, but mostly for the SHIFT+TAB browser. I don't have the issue of people asking what PSO2 was, since I only have 1 friend on Steam. lol

Geistritter
Jul 9, 2012, 02:57 AM
Not like it matters, You'd be crazy to jump ship after SoA's track record.
The game will be about 20 patches behind and be shut down in a year or two.
It really isn't worth it. We've all seen how SoA does things in the past. There won't be any marketing past day 1, nobody will know about the game and it will sadly die in NA.

The same could be said of Sega of Japan making a god awful game in the form of Phantasy Star Universe, too, but people seem to have forgiven them pretty quick now that the latest game is more fun than driving a pen into your eye. It's never too late to make good when it comes to consumers; they're as flitting as changing as the weather.

BogusKun
Jul 9, 2012, 03:04 AM
Now ... for the Wii-U, XBOX360, and PS3 ;)

ZeroRageX
Jul 9, 2012, 04:13 AM
Nothing wrong with it. It'd definitely boost awareness of the game.
Most definitely! Look at what it did for Blacklight: Retribution. Tons of players there now

I haven't had the displeasure of experiencing this terrible Steam F2P community in any F2P game on Steam. Maybe I'm just not in the right game, but I don't see it in Vindictus, Champions, TF2, Tribes or Spiral Knights. Maybe I'm not playing the right games. I mean, the main chat channel of Blacklight is annoying, but it's hardly any sort of blight upon the gaming service itself

Zarode
Jul 9, 2012, 04:33 AM
Now ... for the Wii-U, XBOX360, and PS3 ;)

Wait for more content. I doubt any of these systems can handle weekly patches without this being a huge costly endeavor for SEGA.

Skye-Fox713
Jul 9, 2012, 04:35 AM
Steam would help PSO2 grow immensely

Polly
Jul 9, 2012, 04:43 AM
Steam would help PSO2 grow immensely

Exactly, and in the case of a fairly niche title, you want as many players aware of it as possible if it's gonna have any chance of success. The "this is our cool little thing that only we know about, no outsiders allowed," mindset is a sure fire way to ruin a game financially, and Sega would be making a terrible mistake if they thought that way.

You're gonna pull in bad apples, it's the internet. Lordy me though, some people around here act like it's really that hard to avoid, ignore, blacklist whatever these types of players.

PSO has by and large had a fairly decent community the twelve'ish years I've been a part of it, so I doubt many that are worried about the quality of the playerbase will have much trouble finding quality players to spend time with while avoiding the riff-raff.

White Midnight
Jul 9, 2012, 05:02 AM
Steam would be the best move Sega could make on getting exposure to international audiences. Even beyond the...interesting community Steam can sometimes pull.

We already got bad apples in the current community on the JP side (the Japanese playerbase has scattered horror stories about block 20 players on Ship 2,) you're going to pull a certain percentage of idiots, trolls, and other such things with any game population, you just find more of them with more people.

DreXxiN
Jul 9, 2012, 05:11 AM
To be fair, even the Block 20 Ship 02 community are angels compared to most F2P games out there. :P

White Midnight
Jul 9, 2012, 05:17 AM
To be fair, even the Block 20 Ship 02 community are angels compared to most F2P games out there. :P

Eh...depends. I've seen just god awful communities that are worse than Ship 2 B20, and I've seen some awesome FtP communities that outshine a lot of the other communities.

All a matter of personal experience and opinion in the end.

atrimiselgnacra
Jul 9, 2012, 05:53 AM
Personally, until Steam allows the selling of their accounts here in NA, I think it can go eff itself hardcore in a small tiny corner. I don't own a single game from Steam, because frankly, if I want to sell my games, or account, I'd rather the chances for someone to say anything be slim to nil.

gigawuts
Jul 9, 2012, 05:55 AM
I want a kireek helmet and soul eater for pyro.

I don't care if it's a homewrecker skin, I just want that soul eater. I'll still hit players with it.

If a steam release gets me those as promos then I'm all for it.

Skye-Fox713
Jul 9, 2012, 05:57 AM
We already got bad apples in the current community on the JP side (the Japanese playerbase has scattered horror stories about block 20 players on Ship 2,) you're going to pull a certain percentage of idiots, trolls, and other such things with any game population, you just find more of them with more people.

Interesting do tell. No really what are the stories.

Peejay
Jul 9, 2012, 09:44 AM
I haven't had the displeasure of experiencing this terrible Steam F2P community in any F2P game on Steam. Maybe I'm just not in the right game, but I don't see it in Vindictus, Champions, TF2, Tribes or Spiral Knights. Maybe I'm not playing the right games. I mean, the main chat channel of Blacklight is annoying, but it's hardly any sort of blight upon the gaming service itself

If you say that, I have to think you're either trolling or part of the problem to begin with. Team Fortress 2 has slid in quality mostly due to the Mannconomy, really. Sure, they get money, but we get stuck with the roving idiots who do everything to remove anything casual and relaxing about it.

Vintasticvin
Jul 9, 2012, 10:36 AM
I want a kireek helmet and soul eater for pyro.

I don't care if it's a homewrecker skin, I just want that soul eater. I'll still hit players with it.

If a steam release gets me those as promos then I'm all for it.

:D A fellow Pyro player!!! *Hug* Pso2+Steam= LOADS of kick butt TF2 goodies :3

AnnabellaRenee87
Jul 9, 2012, 10:38 AM
I already have PSO2 on Steam :P

Akaimizu
Jul 9, 2012, 10:58 AM
Well, we know SEGA is well-aware of Steam. They've put a string of releases on there this year. Perhaps, it may happen with a localized version. Steam is a very good way to get your game noticed as just about anything on Steam gets a lot of eyes. It's kind of hard to be an obscure game on Steam, unless your game isn't good enough to keep an audience.

Yuicihi
Jul 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
blacklist all the players!

So it would be PSU all over again.

Fontes
Jul 9, 2012, 02:42 PM
Considering Sega is already destributing Spiral Knights through Steam, one can only assume PSO2 will end up in there, too.

Quadocky
Jul 9, 2012, 04:34 PM
If Sega wants free money they should do it. PSO2 promos would be awesome. I loved the Spiral Knights one. (even though I don't really like Spiral Knights)

Basically I would be really surprised if they did not host PSO2 on steam.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 9, 2012, 04:43 PM
Steam is soo resource heavy (friends bring their PCs, saying they so slow nao compared to when they bought them, i turn off Steam in msconfig, and poof, 20 seconds shaved off boot time+^_^+ they all cruddy PCs though, any quad core should be fine)... i wouldn't mind it on Steam, but i don't want one of the requirements that you have to have Steam to play+^_^+

Quadocky
Jul 9, 2012, 05:15 PM
Steam is soo resource heavy (friends bring their PCs, saying they so slow nao compared to when they bought them, i turn off Steam in msconfig, and poof, 20 seconds shaved off boot time+^_^+ they all cruddy PCs though, any quad core should be fine)... i wouldn't mind it on Steam, but i don't want one of the requirements that you have to have Steam to play+^_^+
Well yeah, of course they wouldn't make it steam only:nerd:There are very few Steam Exclusive games anyway:nerd:

DreXxiN
Jul 9, 2012, 05:38 PM
Steam...isn't resource heavy though.. o_O. Yeah, it'll slow down boot times but it rarely uses over 60MB of ram or ANY CPU usage at all at any given time..

velociti
Jul 9, 2012, 05:59 PM
You should point out this thread is intended for the NA/EU release, since this version doesn't use it. Wait, this is an mmo, since when did you need/want a dumb steam account linked to this game? Back in the day, xfire would simply tell you "hey, this friend is playing RF online," or "this guy is playing cod1, join his server?". What's the point of linking this game with steam...? I'm glad it isn't atm, and am 100% sure nobody in japan uses steam for MMO'ing.
(BTW, there's a friend system ingame, so steam is pointless. Why do you guys even like steam? I've never understood that)

Polly
Jul 9, 2012, 06:26 PM
You should point out this thread is intended for the NA/EU release, since this version doesn't use it. Wait, this is an mmo, since when did you need/want a dumb steam account linked to this game? Back in the day, xfire would simply tell you "hey, this friend is playing RF online," or "this guy is playing cod1, join his server?". What's the point of linking this game with steam...? I'm glad it isn't atm, and am 100% sure nobody in japan uses steam for MMO'ing.
(BTW, there's a friend system ingame, so steam is pointless. Why do you guys even like steam? I've never understood that)

Steam has a substantial userbase that would make millions aware of PSO2's existence the moment it's listed on the storefront, even more so if it's promoted on the frontpage (which has happened to quite a few free to play games.) Anything that drives people to PSO is a good thing, so I'm not sure what the point of being so uppity about a US/EU release being on Steam is about. You'll likely be able to get it somewhere other than Steam, but Steam can do nothing but good for PSO2's US/EU success.

Miyoko
Jul 9, 2012, 06:58 PM
Steam is the one thing that could give PSO2 NA a competative chance against PSO2 JP. If SoJ saw PSO NA keeping up with or surpassing PSO JP, I'm pretty sure their reaction would be "holy shit" and "We gotta keep that alive!"

Don't think PSO NA could surpass PSO JP? Just picture if Steam had an Arcs Cash steam sale. For reference on just HOW successful steam sales are...

http://zeboyd.com/2012/04/19/the-effect-of-short-term-sales-on-quantity-sold-a-case-studio-on-zeboyds-deal-of-the-day/

ChronoTrigga
Jul 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
Holy crap. It's like the Steam gods are answering my prayers.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8367/

Garnet_Moon
Jul 10, 2012, 01:26 AM
Holy crap. It's like the Steam gods are answering my prayers.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8367/

Time to tell Gabe about PSO2.

Maybe they could give Rappy hats out in TF2 for people who play PSO2

velociti
Jul 10, 2012, 01:44 AM
I don't really care if other people get to play the game, specifically random people. I got a couple friends to play pso2, and they didn't like it at all. It isn't a game for the masses, and I hope it won't be, because mainstream games are mostly always bad, just like mainstream anything. So, if something will "come out with steam" apparently "millions" of people will buy the game, just because its on steam? Makes no sense to me, if people like a game, they will seek and search out that game type that they like, oh wait nobody does that, that's why there's steam to tell people what to play. Oh joy I love this world. I don't see why you guys are happy about overcrowding a server with TF2 hat kiddies who have no respect for an eastern title. IMO that's disrespectful.

edit: I guess steam is like facebook for gamers. everyone HAS to have it... I don't get this, makes me sad that people want a game to "be on steam" so that it can be more popular than it is. Games don't need to be popular, the developers are making enough money, they don't need the extra dough from an average 12 year old steam user. Money, fame, and popularity... no, the game doesn't need this, oh yea im playing jp pso2, it'll never have steam, no need to worry, bye.

ChronoTrigga
Jul 10, 2012, 02:10 AM
Time to tell Gabe about PSO2.

Maybe they could give Rappy hats out in TF2 for people who play PSO2

They could give us Rappy launchers. O_O Instead of stickies, we get tiny rappy plushies that explode meseta fragments. O_O

Polly
Jul 10, 2012, 02:45 AM
I don't really care if other people get to play the game, specifically random people. I got a couple friends to play pso2, and they didn't like it at all. It isn't a game for the masses, and I hope it won't be, because mainstream games are mostly always bad, just like mainstream anything. So, if something will "come out with steam" apparently "millions" of people will buy the game, just because its on steam? Makes no sense to me, if people like a game, they will seek and search out that game type that they like, oh wait nobody does that, that's why there's steam to tell people what to play. Oh joy I love this world. I don't see why you guys are happy about overcrowding a server with TF2 hat kiddies who have no respect for an eastern title. IMO that's disrespectful.

edit: I guess steam is like facebook for gamers. everyone HAS to have it... I don't get this, makes me sad that people want a game to "be on steam" so that it can be more popular than it is. Games don't need to be popular, the developers are making enough money, they don't need the extra dough from an average 12 year old steam user. Money, fame, and popularity... no, the game doesn't need this, oh yea im playing jp pso2, it'll never have steam, no need to worry, bye.

Oh man. Just....oh man. I need to lie down because hooooooooooly fuck. There is so much wrong, misinformation, and just plain derp in this post that I felt my brain trying to stab itself to make it stop.

ChronoTrigga
Jul 10, 2012, 03:04 AM
Oh man. Just....oh man. I need to lie down because hooooooooooly fuck. There is so much wrong, misinformation, and just plain derp in this post that I felt my brain trying to stab itself to make it stop.

Not to mention blind hate.

Natsuma
Jul 10, 2012, 03:09 AM
The more people play the game, the better updates will be.
More members also means more dumbasses, but if there aren't enough and thus that the game isn't a success, it will quickly die; community and update speaking.

renrinken
Jul 10, 2012, 03:12 AM
The more people play the game, the better updates will be.
More members also means more dumbasses, but if there aren't enough and thus that the game isn't a success, it will quickly die; community and update speaking.

Well dumbass % is pretty static. As this thread has clearly shown, PSO-World already has a good percentage already. Sure we will get kiddies and tards from steam but no more (% wise) then we already have. Like most games, you simply ignore the rejects and continue upon your day.