PDA

View Full Version : SEGA won't confirm NA/EU Vita & smartphone versions of PSO2 yet.

r00tabaga
Jul 9, 2012, 06:32 PM
PC-only in the west as of now. Joystiq.com contacted SoA and they could only confirm that the only way to play in English will be to wait for the PC release AT THIS TIME. Wtf SEGA...

MelancholyWitch
Jul 9, 2012, 06:34 PM
what does it matter if most will stay on JP servers anyways, you could still get it.

r00tabaga
Jul 9, 2012, 06:42 PM
If you check out the 1,000's of YouTube comments, people are psyched about a western release. I wouldnt put too much into the 100's here who only want to play on Jpn servers. I had an awful time playing pspo2 in Japanese and won't do it ever again.

They better release ALL versions out West.

Sinue_v2
Jul 9, 2012, 06:46 PM
what does it matter if most will stay on JP servers anyways, you could still get it.

Most people aren't going to stay on the Japanese servers... or rather, the current population of western players on the Japanese servers represents only a very, very, VERY, tiny portion of PSO2's potential consumer base. As self-important as some people want to make themselves feel, the current western consumers on the JP servers are utterly inconsequential to PSO2's success or failure.

The vast majority of PSO2's non-Japanese population is going to come from regional releases and new customers, with a smaller percentage of those being returning players from PSO and PSU who are willing to give the game a shot due to enjoyment of previous titles, but are not motivated enough by the franchise to deal with a foreign language.

You are part of a minority population in a very niche game. The question of a regional and ancillary platform releases is still a very valid one.

ScottyMango
Jul 9, 2012, 06:52 PM
Is this what we're going to be complaining about now? :\

It will most likely be announced for NA/EU on Vita as well, just as it was for PC. Relax.

Freshellent
Jul 9, 2012, 06:58 PM
/clap

I'm glad someone who's been on these forums as long as you have is able to realize and communicate that well to others.

People who frequent forums for some reason are under the impression that they are the only ones actually playing the game. This is almost never the case.

Ranmaru
Jul 9, 2012, 07:01 PM
1. I have a smartphone, and I wouldn't want to use it for games, let alone PSO2. (I have minecraft and I can't really control well, we'll see about PSO2)
2. Smarthphones are expensive, I'd rather just downgrade when I can and use a good phone that isn't a smart phone. It has tons of good things and apps on it and it's sleak and sexy, but it's just TOO much for me to keep track of at once. It's really only a convenience. (At times I forget I LOVE <3 drop box apps and evernote apps) But yeah. Don't need the smartphone, so why would I want to get a game for it?
3. PS Vita is better, yeah. Only because it's a system meant for games (I'm not keen on touch and go you know?, except Elite Beat Agents) I'm indifferent about it really. I'd only get it for PSO2, so since I do have a laptop, I wouldn't need it since PSO2 will be on it as well. Plus I'd be able to play other games on the PC, and be able to do other things at the same time. ;p

So to me:

PC > PS Vita > Smartphone.

I'm sure others feel differently but ;D

Sinue_v2
Jul 9, 2012, 07:11 PM
3. PS Vita is better, yeah. I'm indifferent about it really. I'd only get it for PSO2, so since I do have a laptop, I wouldn't need it since PSO2 will be on it as well.

So to me:

PC > PS Vita > Smartphone.

I can't imagine playing it on a smartphone either. I'm considering getting the PSVita version since PSP2/i has shown me that I tend to make much more progress on a handheld/portable system than I do on a stationary system. I think that will be my preferred system, barring only the question of how easy/difficult communication is. If it's a touch-screen keyboard... I can deal. Software keyboard, eh, not so much.

I have absolutely no reason to buy a Vita right now, except for PSO2. So I'm not going to take a US Vita release for granted and gamble on a port that may never happen when I could sink that money into a 3DSXL which actually has some software/backwards compatibility.

Mike
Jul 9, 2012, 07:20 PM
If it's a touch-screen keyboard... I can deal. Software keyboard, eh, not so much.
As of last notice, the Vita version will use the Vita's system keyboard.

blazingsonic
Jul 9, 2012, 07:24 PM
Most people aren't going to stay on the Japanese servers... or rather, the current population of western players on the Japanese servers represents only a very, very, VERY, tiny portion of PSO2's potential consumer base. As self-important as some people want to make themselves feel, the current western consumers on the JP servers are utterly inconsequential to PSO2's success or failure.

The vast majority of PSO2's non-Japanese population is going to come from regional releases and new customers, with a smaller percentage of those being returning players from PSO and PSU who are willing to give the game a shot due to enjoyment of previous titles, but are not motivated enough by the franchise to deal with a foreign language.

You are part of a minority population in a very niche game. The question of a regional and ancillary platform releases is still a very valid one.

QFT As much as I love the PSO series (It was my first MMO after all.) I have come to find similar titles (Hi Monster Hunter and God Eater and I see you Ragnarok Odessy) Thing is, after PSU well maybe as earily as PSO BB Sega has been acting odd with the US user base, I'm not sure what they truely think but they have since then been giving US the short in of the stick, me as a fan I am not "that" loyal to follow them around into the Japanese servers, I'm not desperate to play it in a format I don't understand, if they will localize the Vita and iPhone versions that would be great but if not then I just want spend money on a game that was never made for me, It's simple business, They sell I'll buy, they sell me half of what they give others, then they can watch me get on the bus for other MMO offering me more.

And not I'm not the least bit jaded as I was months ago, I'm just saying I can let PSO go if Sega wants to give other countries a smaller service than what they give Japan.

As of last notice, the Vita version will use the Vita's system keyboard.

Oh yeah it totally does, I was setting up a character in Monster Hunter and when I got to the name the Vita's keyboard popped up it took my by surprise actually.

Yakatsugi
Jul 9, 2012, 07:33 PM
Do they have a vita version out already for the Japanese server? Anyone with Vita would be able to somehow download the game onto their Vita via the JP PSN and play wouldn't they? Or is there some sort of region restriction? Then hasn't the vita been hacked already to allow the overcoming of said limitation?

Mike
Jul 9, 2012, 07:36 PM
Do they have a vita version out already for the Japanese server? Anyone with Vita would be able to somehow download the game onto their Vita via the JP PSN and play wouldn't they? Or is there some sort of region restriction?
The Vita version doesn't come out until spring of 2013. I'd expect it to come out about the same time as the US version :wacko: The PSN store is region based. Anywone with a Japanese PSN accound would be able to download it though I hear the Vita's pretty nasty about changing PSN accounts.

eharima
Jul 10, 2012, 01:27 AM
I swear they had better include symbol art creator on android.......

and ofc they havent confirmed / announced NA/EU vita smart phone when its still in development for JP. wont be so embarrassing if they have to pull the plug or heavily mod it :p

Alenoir
Jul 10, 2012, 01:34 AM
I hear the Vita's pretty nasty about changing PSN accounts.

Yeah, you gotta go through a pretty annoying process to swap account, including factory resetting your Vita. Heard something about using the backup feature to switch accounts, but dunno if it'll work forever.