PDA

View Full Version : So why are we restricted to one server with our chars again?

ChronoTrigga
Jul 10, 2012, 05:42 AM
I never really got that memo. Why not be able to take our characters on every ship?

UnLucky
Jul 10, 2012, 05:48 AM
Because money

NoiseHERO
Jul 10, 2012, 05:50 AM
Because money

/Thread

skuld01
Jul 10, 2012, 05:51 AM
if a character(level/storage) is being record on the same server that running the instance or the game/drop it is easier and prompt for less bug.

But if all character /storage are being record in a single server and require to be accessed from 10 (or more if AH is being on another server) other server, the system is more complicated and higher maintenance cost.

Dabian
Jul 10, 2012, 06:10 AM
Those of us who play(ed) World of Warcraft would have already asked this question. Besides the usual prose about technical issues and server population balances, it still comes down to money.

Money to maintain a highly populated server, because it needs to be regulated even more when it gets congested.

Money to hire personnel to manage said highly populated server.

Money that seems to the developer/publisher to be "wasted" on low population servers that still must be kept functional for the odd player who hasn't migrated.

Money that is tied down to managing a cluster of servers with a certain population benchmark when the reality is that people would want to play with their friends and their friends' friends and huddle together where the cool kids hang out.

So yea, it comes down to money.

drizzle
Jul 10, 2012, 06:30 AM
if a character(level/storage) is being record on the same server that running the instance or the game/drop it is easier and prompt for less bug.

But if all character /storage are being record in a single server and require to be accessed from 10 (or more if AH is being on another server) other server, the system is more complicated and higher maintenance cost.

That's really no excuse. Databases and other server software need not be stuck on a single system.
It's more of a security issue. One server blowing up won't take the others down with it. And I'm not just talking about hardware, but also the economy. If item duping gets out of control on 1 server, you've still got 9 good ones left.

ChronoTrigga
Jul 10, 2012, 09:07 AM
That's really no excuse. Databases and other server software need not be stuck on a single system.
It's more of a security issue. One server blowing up won't take the others down with it. And I'm not just talking about hardware, but also the economy. If item duping gets out of control on 1 server, you've still got 9 good ones left.

/bestanswer

Zero_Virus_X
Jul 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
Paid transfers usually occur in locked mmo's and with 10 ships they gonna have a field day when they do open.

jooozek
Jul 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
Money is the real answer, with cloud computing you can have your servers spread all over the globe.

Akaimizu
Jul 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hmm. Interesting, though I guess the worry is that if a ship/server goes down, those people are out of luck. In previous PS Online games, if a ship goes down, (and they have before) you're free to go to another one and play.

But it may not be that bad. Perhaps each ship has a bit of server redundancy, with this build.

*Kadaj*
Jul 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
just deleted my char to remake a new one, i cannot whatever the ship i choose, F2P my a$$

Akaimizu
Jul 10, 2012, 10:06 AM
Strange. I remade my character more than once when this started, I was able to do so. Perhaps, the ship you tried was currently locked from character creation, at the time. As long as you aren't trying to make one in the 2nd character slot, you're good.

DreXxiN
Jul 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
This is just another one of those things where it feels like PSO2 is trying to be too much like a traditional MMO..I mean look at the progression system.

Having fun with the game nonetheless. :)

TRICKST3R
Jul 10, 2012, 04:04 PM
This is just another one of those things where it feels like PSO2 is trying to be too much like a traditional MMO..I mean look at the progression system.

Luckily, the gameplay and community should set it apart from being your run-of-the-mill MMO. I'd like to think PSO2 is pretty unique.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 04:04 PM
just deleted my char to remake a new one, i cannot whatever the ship i choose, F2P my a$$

Ships 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 10 are currently locked for at least a week. If you attempted to make a character on any of these ships, then you are denied, and will be forced to make a character on either 6, 7, 8, or 9.

Unless those fill up as well.

Scarlet_Rain
Jul 10, 2012, 04:21 PM
Luckily, the gameplay and community should set it apart from being your run-of-the-mill MMO. I'd like to think PSO2 is pretty unique.

^ Probably the most fun community i've experienced to date.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
Because money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf47yRpOM8

Grab it while ya can lads.

Coatl
Jul 10, 2012, 04:48 PM

You know, almost every other RPG game works the same way.
You grind, and grind, and grind for milestones that are almost homogenous in objective. Take for example PSO2; you grind your way to lv40, and now you get to grind for rare weapons. Once you do that, you grind some more to get those rare weapons to +10, and once you do that you grind some more, because there's not much else to do. This has been the RPG way since as long as I can remember. The purpose is to enjoy the journey, not the destination.

I think PSO2 puts a nice twist in it, with matter boards and such. But really, there's no real easy way to stray off from the RPG progression system without making it, you know...NOT an RPG.

BahnKnakyu
Jul 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
Because money

Everybody stop posting. This answers it. WHY IS IT STILL GOING!?1

Edit: Sure it will shoot Sega in the ass in the long run, but right now they don't see any downside to wanting to make money by ripping us off (PSU-JP was F2P and gave you 8 character slots btw). Sega will either profit, or they'll fail and give us the ability to use our characters on any ship we want.

In the end, if it shoots them in the ass we'll benefit. Just a matter of time.

Kraiseson
Jul 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
I have a simple answer.

So one ship doesnt have 90% of players.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 11, 2012, 01:05 AM
It's just not the way databases work in general.

Your character data is saved on a ship and it would take a lot of effort to move that data from one ship to another. Technically speaking, it's also a risky thing to do. Which is why they haven't bothered putting in such a feature yet (low priority task compared to making the game better & adding content).

Even when they implement a feature to move ships in the future, it would take several minutes (maybe even hours) to do such a move and if everyone does it every time they log in, it would be tremendous server load. Hence this will most likely be a Cash Shop service.

Not everything is "Magically" possible to do, a lot of these things are actually very hard to program.

drizzle
Jul 11, 2012, 01:53 AM
It's just not the way databases work in general.

Your character data is saved on a ship and it would take a lot of effort to move that data from one ship to another. Technically speaking, it's also a risky thing to do. Which is why they haven't bothered putting in such a feature yet (low priority task compared to making the game better & adding content).

Even when they implement a feature to move ships in the future, it would take several minutes (maybe even hours) to do such a move and if everyone does it every time they log in, it would be tremendous server load. Hence this will most likely be a Cash Shop service.

Not everything is "Magically" possible to do, a lot of these things are actually very hard to program.

That's what some would like you to believe, so they can charge $25 for it. Transferring data from one database server to another is a trivial operation and takes nearly no time.

Assuming they aren't already in one big database.

iwerkout
Jul 11, 2012, 01:58 AM
I enjoy the whole separate server ideal, and respect why they have it.
(I KNOW WHY THEY CAN'T SO PLEASE DON'T REMIND ME) But I do wish when we log in, we can choose the ship we wish to play on while logged in rather then PERMA-STUCK. This is just a wish from my own heart, unfortunately I know why it's not possible... :cry:

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 11, 2012, 02:09 AM
if it wasn't true, then there's no reason every other MMO does the exact same thing.

I don't think that the income they get from server transfers would be significant enough compared to everything else they get.

Of course, I don't claim to be an expert on databases, so you may be right... but there's gotta be some similar restriction that's keeping almost every MMO from being able to switch servers at will.

iwerkout
Jul 11, 2012, 02:21 AM
if it wasn't true, then there's no reason every other MMO does the exact same thing.

I don't think that the income they get from server transfers would be significant enough compared to everything else they get.

Of course, I don't claim to be an expert on databases, so you may be right... but there's gotta be some similar restriction that's keeping almost every MMO from being able to switch servers at will.

My idea of the process is that each server is a separate server, as in whole other computer in a sense. Once you make a character on that computer, it is saved there and only there. It is possible to transfer that character to other computers, but it shouldn't be something done all the time.
For current times, my wish could be fulfilled by having all characters load on a main server, then when you pick the ship you wish to play on, your characters data gets transferred to that server.
Yet there are a MULTITUDE of reasons why that is not a good idea and really wouldn't work in the end. BTW, I'm not an expert at this either. I have average knowledge about this topic, so don't take my logic to heart lol.