PDA

View Full Version : That awkward moment...when your Japanese teammate says your name then a sentence.

Ark22
Jul 10, 2012, 06:06 PM
Usually when I play with Japanese people in ANY game I never say anything because the moment I do I get kicked for being English or not knowing Japanese or vice versa they leave.

But I love those times where we are doing a mission and they go HDUHWDIUAW Ark HDWIUAHDIWAUDBIUAWDH. I go O.O......*Puts in smiley faces or question marks*

Anyone else have these type of....incidents?

For instance check out the chat.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/861/pso20120710154218000.jpg[/URL]

Makes me regret not taking Japanese lessons.

Vashyron
Jul 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
If I ever see something like that I Copy and Paste the text into Google Translate, hasn't failed me yet.

gigawuts
Jul 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I try to have google translate open at all times just in case this happens. It has a few times, and usually I can't make heads or tails of what they've said. So I do my hunter thang where I hit things with swords and try to not die.

Half the time I get a friend request at the end of it, I guess they thought I did good.

I'll need to find a translation of something to the ends of "Hello. I am Gigawuts and would like to play with you, but translate slowly with a website. I hope you don't mind."

Coatl
Jul 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
No.
All the Japanese players love associating with me!

Haha.
Haha...haha...

Yeah I've been there..
I've made some good Japanese friends regardless though.
:3

Garnet_Moon
Jul 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
Have you ever used Google Translate to put a reply back to them?

I have! I usually get "wwwww" responses.

Ark22
Jul 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
If I ever see something like that I Copy and Paste the text into Google Translate, hasn't failed me yet.

I would do that but I am sitting down on my chair like 5 feet away from my laptop looking at my TV. I only have my wireless keyboard...

Daiyousei
Jul 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
The Japanese people I've come across so far don't really mind that I don't speak the language, they'll even say stuff in, though somewhat broken, English.

watashiwa
Jul 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
He really didn't even say a sentence to you. Just "PT finish". PT is just an abbreviation for ParTy. He was saying the party is over with. He also said "PT thanks", which means "Thanks for the party".

BIG OLAF
Jul 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Only Japanese fellow I've played with that bothered trying to communicate with me was nice enough. He joins our party, and starts spouting off in Japanese. My friend, thinking quickly, goes to one of the threads here on PSOW and copypastas "We can't speak Japanese" (in Japanese) into the game chat and sends it.

He responded with "it ok i can't english haha."

So, we did a run with him, and then I had to go. I thanked him for playing, and he thanked us back (as best he could). Wasn't too bad. There have been other JP players that have joined my party, seen my friends and I typing in English, and then immediately left. I guess I can understand, but it still seems rude.

Ark22
Jul 10, 2012, 06:18 PM
He really didn't even say a sentence to you. Just "PT finish". PT is just an abbreviation for ParTy. He was saying the party is over with. He also said "PT thanks", which means "Thanks for the party".

I never knew that. Thanks =) I wish I had more pictures of those moments. For all I know PT means...something along the lines of me sucking and kicking me from the group!

but no seriously, I got a lot of those PT's, now I know what it is.

mhjc
Jul 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Only Japanese fellow I've played with that bothered trying to communicate with me was nice enough. He joins our party, and starts spouting off in Japanese. My friend, thinking quickly, goes to one of the threads here on PSOW and copypastas "We can't speak Japanese" (in Japanese) into the game chat and sends it.

He responded with "it ok i can't english haha."

So, we did a run with him, and then I had to go. I thanked him for playing, and he thanked us back (as best he could). Wasn't too bad. There have been other JP players that have joined my party, seen my friends and I typing in English, and then immediately left. I guess I can understand, but it still seems rude.

You haven't seen the rage quits from seeing a majority of English going off in the MPA. At least they do it politely.
They just simply don't want to interact because they are embarrassed in most cases.
Other cases, likely because of xenophobia, but there's never a surefire way to discern because you can't read one's mind.
Try to not think of it as rude, they aren't trying to be, they just likely don't know any English at all to type (some are children).

Geonizer/Iceman
Jul 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
Well, arigatoo deshita is what he said, which means thankyou very much. If you install japanese ime from your computer, you just have to sound out the words you want to say and it will change it into katakana or hiragana.

Kraiseson
Jul 10, 2012, 06:24 PM
I just type wwwwwwww

I heard thats their version of hahahahaha

KurotenZer0
Jul 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Actually ended up partnering up with one of our Japanese hosts and we both kinda realized after a moment that google translate was a godsend XD
Aside from idle chit-chat we pretty much just ran through our missions a few times, then went our separate ways after a difficult to understand good bye.
It was fun, and now I have a Japanese FP to show for it!

Shakuri
Jul 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
It's really interesting to end up playing in a party with a Japanese player and an English player when neither of them know what the other is saying.

I doubt the party joiners->Instant leavers are trying to come off as rude (in general), some people are just deathly afraid of having to deal with the possible confrontation that comes from joining a team you find out you can't communicate with. It's a lot less embarrassing to just bounce than to further embarrass yourself by showing you don't know how to talk.

Even if the party doesn't mind the person not being able to communicate, some people would still feel really left out/out of place and would rather not deal with it at all.

Strider_M
Jul 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
Well my character already has an English First and Last Name.... so they'll just not talk. Or say stuff I know because I seen it so much.

”よろしく!”

”ありがと!”

But yeah.... Dual screening with Google Translate on the bottom? I can translate. lol but man... when that Kanji comes up, I just don't know where to start pronouncing it.!

Garnet_Moon
Jul 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
I just type wwwwwwww

I heard thats their version of hahahahaha
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/warau

Arkios
Jul 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
Usually when I play with Japanese people in ANY game I never say anything because the moment I do I get kicked for being English or not knowing Japanese or vice versa they leave.

But I love those times where we are doing a mission and they go HDUHWDIUAW Ark HDWIUAHDIWAUDBIUAWDH. I go O.O......*Puts in smiley faces or question marks*

Anyone else have these type of....incidents?

For instance check out the chat.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/861/pso20120710154218000.jpg

Makes me regret not taking Japanese lessons.

Well, now I know who stole my character name :-P

If I play with JP players I just follow them around and don't say anything except use emotes.

Kraiseson
Jul 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/warau

So like its `lol`than..

And to the people who keep using terms like deathly afraid to not be able to communicate, or embarrassed that cant communicate etc.

Are you bleeping kidding me.. The games pretty straight forward, you dont have to communicate. I can undersand wanting a little side-banter while you roll through missions but its not an End-All if you cant understand eachother.

I dont think anyone gets scared or embarrassed for these reasons. They just want to be doing missions with people they can talk too.. Scared or embarrassed isnt the term i would use for this...

Xefi
Jul 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
even if i was playing with my fellow english speaking people, i still
hardly speak to them.

me: *join game* say "hi" (i think everyone in this world can at least understand "hi"....right?) and then just go around kick some butt. :cat:

1: join random party
2: say "hi"
3: run around killing stuffs
4: ....PROFIT!!!

no communication require! but anyways, i dont plan on playing game that isnt in english.

Omega-z
Jul 10, 2012, 07:01 PM
Have a question How do you copy out of the game and paste it into google and vesa versa? So, Far I can highlight words but couldn't figure out to copy it so and so on. Had to guess and retype it out in the game very slow work....:(

mhjc
Jul 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
Have a question How do you copy out of the game and paste it into google and vesa versa? So, Far I can highlight words but couldn't figure out to copy it so and so on. Had to guess and retype it out in the game very slow work....:(

The Universal CTRL + C to copy, CTRL + V to paste.

Priest
Jul 10, 2012, 07:09 PM
I've played with a lot of Japanese and usually there is almost always no speaking. Only time people speak is when they join and say yoroshiku. In the RARE chance they start speaking and asking questions I just answer Sou desu ne, works everytime xD

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 07:20 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]
And to the people who keep using terms like deathly afraid to not be able to communicate, or embarrassed that cant communicate etc.

Are you bleeping kidding me.. The games pretty straight forward, you dont have to communicate. I can undersand wanting a little side-banter while you roll through missions but its not an End-All if you cant understand eachother.

I dont think anyone gets scared or embarrassed for these reasons. They just want to be doing missions with people they can talk too.. Scared or embarrassed isnt the term i would use for this...[/SPOILER-BOX]

Actually, the thought of embarrassing myself in front of people I don't understand terrifies me. I already worry about grouping with people I 'do' understand. I would 'like' to talk to some Japanese players, but the simple fact of the matter is, I can't, because that language barrier is there. I've tried some simple words and phrases, but I'm still nervous.

So yes, there are actually people who get scared and/or embarrassed by the thought of messing up in front of someone that they don't understand.

Yexes
Jul 10, 2012, 07:20 PM

I lol'd irl.

Syaorandc
Jul 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
You only need these two phrases really.

Say this when you join a party:

よろしく!
(Literal translation would be "Please take care of me")

and say this when a party is over:

ありがと!

Also, if you have ever worked in Japan teaching English you will realize that many Japanese are extremely shy and afraid of using English. Many think their English ability is poor(even when it isn't) and they will just not speak in English because they don't want to say something wrong. They think the other person will laugh at them or make fun of them.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 10, 2012, 08:09 PM
Survival Japanese - Basic Phrases for Communication (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195616)
This thread grew quite well and i found a good amount of use from it+^_^+ you can find a moonrune sentence for almost everything if you fish through the posts long enough+^_^+

Vylera
Jul 10, 2012, 08:12 PM
I have yet to brave up and party with Japanese players.

I have yet to party in general, actually.

Maybe I'll give it a go when I hit 30.

pikachief
Jul 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Man I remember back in PSUJP when they got their MAG event and there werent very many english PSU JP players. I had Kitty (my large female beast) and in the span of 2 weeks i had like 2 pages on my cards list of Japanese players and I would get messages from them and invites because they liked playing with English player and they liked having someone to practice their english with and most of them just really liked Kitty! (people usually do ;) )

Now Ship 2 needs to open back up so I can remake her :/ lol

But yes I enjoy the Japanese players. I actually just remembered my brother has a book "First Year Japanese." Maybe I should actually learn some lol.

This game uses mostly Kanji i hear, right?

DemonMike
Jul 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
Survival Japanese - Basic Phrases for Communication (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195616)
This thread grew quite well and i found a good amount of use from it+^_^+ you can find a moonrune sentence for almost everything if you fish through the posts long enough+^_^+

I definitely recommend those with no experience with Japanese to add some of these sentences to their short cut words, especially those who plan on playing the NA/EU version who want global servers as I doubt they'll implement such a feature if no one makes any effort to embrace the JP community.

Ark22
Jul 10, 2012, 08:29 PM

よろしく!

ありがと!

Also, if you have ever worked in Japan teaching English you will realize that many Japanese are extremely shy and afraid of using English. Many think their English ability is poor(even when it isn't) and they will just not speak in English because they don't want to say something wrong. They think the other person will laugh at them or make fun of them.

^This is fact. When I was 13 in Japan, I spoke to a girl (she looked 16-17) at Wendy's and she tried to say Tomato (because I said I didn't want any). Anyway when she said it she pronounced it Toe-mastu. I thought she said it will but someone sitting at a table next to us mocked her, man her facial expression tore me apart on the inside.

On a side note, I would love to play copy and paste the Kanji, but like I said to my dear friend Vash,

TV-2ft--Laptop----4ft-----------Me

Basically my laptop is hooked up to my tv and I only have a wire keyboard and my PS3 controller. My alt tabbing skills only go so far.....

But thanks for the awesome characters, I will use it when I get my wireless mouse up and working again. Never let your friend use your mouse.....

Chik'Tikka
Jul 10, 2012, 08:32 PM
Man I remember back in PSUJP when they got their MAG event and there werent very many english PSU JP players. I had Kitty (my large female beast) and in the span of 2 weeks i had like 2 pages on my cards list of Japanese players and I would get messages from them and invites because they liked playing with English player and they liked having someone to practice their english with and most of them just really liked Kitty! (people usually do ;) )

Now Ship 2 needs to open back up so I can remake her :/ lol

But yes I enjoy the Japanese players. I actually just remembered my brother has a book "First Year Japanese." Maybe I should actually learn some lol.

This game uses mostly Kanji i hear, right?

nah, not as much Kanji as one would expect, it's almost all Katakana for items with Hiragana for NPC text bubbles mixed with basic kanji+^_^+
i'm only just now starting to learn katakana (using the lexilogos keyboard (http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/katakana.htm) alot) and a bunch of googling proper ways to say things+^_^+
also the Survival Japanese - Basic Phrases for Communication (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196271) thread has helped me break the ice with a few JP players+^_^+

^This is fact. When I was 13 in Japan, I spoke to a girl (she looked 16-17) at Wendy's and she tried to say Tomato (because I said I didn't want any). Anyway when she said it she pronounced it Toe-mastu. I thought she said it will but someone sitting at a table next to us mocked her, man her facial expression tore me apart on the inside.

i woulda landed myself in jail after busting the noses of those sitting that that table+^_^+ btw, were their baconators any good?? i always wonder about food i'm used to here being served in far away lands+^_^+

Ark22
Jul 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
nah, not as much Kanji as one would expect, it's almost all Katakana for items with Hiragana for NPC text bubbles mixed with basic kanji+^_^+
i'm only just now starting to learn katakana (using the lexilogos keyboard (http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/katakana.htm) alot) and a bunch of googling proper ways to say things+^_^+
also the Survival Japanese - Basic Phrases for Communication (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196271) thread has helped me break the ice with a few JP players+^_^+

i woulda landed myself in jail after busting the noses of those sitting that that table+^_^+ btw, were their baconators any good?? i always wonder about food i'm used to here being served in far away lands+^_^+

All I remember was their coke tasting weird but their burger tasting Godly.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 10, 2012, 08:44 PM
All I remember was their coke tasting weird but their burger tasting Godly.

ten bucks the coke tasted weird because in other countries they make it with SUGAR, only here in the US is coke made with corn syrup (and if anyone had to use corn syrup instead of sugar for their coffee, you know the difference)+^_^+

texhnolyze
Jul 10, 2012, 08:44 PM
my only concern is that i'm not sure which is real chat and which is auto words :/
it would be awkward if i reply an auto word lol

Windadept
Jul 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
ten bucks the coke tasted weird because in other countries they make it with SUGAR, only here in the US is coke made with corn syrup (and if anyone had to use corn syrup instead of sugar for their coffee, you know the difference)+^_^+

What's really godly is the takoyaki and okonomiyaki in Osaka!

Para
Jul 10, 2012, 08:47 PM

よろしく!

ありがと!

What does the 2nd phrase mean?

Chik'Tikka
Jul 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
my only concern is that i'm not sure which is real chat and which is auto words :/
it would be awkward if i reply an auto word lol

lol, i was in blk 19 with a bunch of JP players in a multiparty, i was the only person that said anything in english, well about 10 minutes in we fight a vol dragon (them forces freezing it's feet were awesome) well, right afterwards in oarty chat an english pop up saying "well, that wasn't so bad!!" popped up, and i replied to it about the forces freezing vol dragons feet, then the person said "uh-oh, i think we're in trouble!!" and I realized it was a different parties NPC player!!! +^_^+ none of the JP player seemed to notice me talking to the NPC though, but i kinda just stayed quiet after that+^_^+

sugarFO
Jul 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
Sometimes I go into My Room and my JP friend in a Rappy suit is there chilling. o.o lmao

Rowe
Jul 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
I just need to get better at kanji. I can read and write in hiragana and katakana with no problems, and I know the meanings of a lot of the common kanji in PSO now, but since I don't actually know how to say the kanji I can't type them in...

Ark22
Jul 10, 2012, 08:51 PM
I am looking to find someone that knows how to type Kanji or Katakana. That way when I need help I can literally say "HEY (Insert name here), TELL THEM I NEED HELP" You don't know how many times I said help when fighting a boss. I even said Helpsu.

Sometimes I go into My Room and my JP friend in a Rappy suit is there chilling. o.o lmao

Him: I heard you like Asians in Rappy costumes ;) wwwww

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 08:54 PM

Dammit, Ark! I choked on my sub when I read this, I laughed so damn hard! You're trying to kill me.

PS: You still hang out in Block 20, I presume?

texhnolyze
Jul 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
lol, i was in blk 19 with a bunch of JP players in a multiparty, i was the only person that said anything in english, well about 10 minutes in we fight a vol dragon (them forces freezing it's feet were awesome) well, right afterwards in oarty chat an english pop up saying "well, that wasn't so bad!!" popped up, and i replied to it about the forces freezing vol dragons feet, then the person said "uh-oh, i think we're in trouble!!" and I realized it was a different parties NPC player!!! +^_^+ none of the JP player seemed to notice me talking to the NPC though, but i kinda just stayed quiet after that+^_^+

that's what i'm talking about lol
i experienced it too in free thundra mission yesterday ^^;

Jungo Torii
Jul 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
The small amount of JP players I've played with have been very gracious about playing with me when I typed in English that I had no way of understanding Japanese and couldn't type it either. Usually they type back kinda broken English, but not so broken that I can't understand what they're trying to communicate.

That said...with all this maintenance downtime...maybe I should get started on learning some hiragana and katakana. This game is really pushing me to do so.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
I am looking to find someone that knows how to type Kanji or Katakana. That way when I need help I can literally say "HEY (Insert name here), TELL THEM I NEED HELP" You don't know how many times I said help when fighting a boss. I even said Helpsu.

lol, ashisuto "アシスト" would be better (probably not quite right, but hey, ima noob)+^_^+

sugarFO
Jul 10, 2012, 08:57 PM
LMAO. I google translate with him cuz he's nice. He told me the Japanese don't mind that we are there and that he doesn't think we are going to get banned? Rofl

Ryock
Jul 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
It's times like these that I'm glad I actually study Japanese in my spare time. It becomes immensely helpful to enjoying this game to the fullest. Sometimes you just can't find some english people to play with, and from my experience, most Japanese people have been quite polite and respectful to me. The only times I start to panic is when I see a kanji I don't know. I know at best maybe 200 kanji, and that's not nearly enough to actually understand half the kanji I even see used by the Japanese. When that time comes up though, I try to ask that they use smaller kanji, or none at all since I'm still just learning. I know the feeling of panicking from seeing your name in a sentence though >.>;

mhjc
Jul 10, 2012, 09:07 PM

Asking someone repeatedly for the kana for kanji often will annoy them. Context can be difficult to discern unless you clarify... you're better off getting some texts/guides that have furigana.

Ark22
Jul 10, 2012, 09:13 PM
Dammit, Ark! I choked on my sub when I read this, I laughed so damn hard! You're trying to kill me.

PS: You still hang out in Block 20, I presume?

Depends, I usually jerk around in lobby 30. If nothing happens there I got to 21, then 22. Desperate I go to 20......I avoid 20 because of a lot of elitists.....LOOK AT MY SWORD, BLAH BLAH BLAH! MAH JAPANESE WAIFU!

Not offend any Japanese loving Waifu's or Sword lovers.

I should of picked a better warding than Jerking around........Oh well, but I will be on tomorrow after I finish signing up for my fall classes....which I should of done..........2 months ago.

At Sugar: Totally :P will team up with ye.

And thanks Chicks tits for the awesome words. Now I can lure them to me and pass the Code Avoid monster on to them....they had it too good.....for too long.

oifjustus
Jul 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
PT means party btw.. looks like they were thanking for the party.

AlMcFly
Jul 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
I've done a lot of City runs with the rest of the party being Japanese (usually because I log on late and don't want to waste time trying to get into an English block). In one group, they were having regular conversation with each other throughout the entire mission. They seemed to be fairly friendly as when I said "hi", they returned the "hi" and various smiley faces throughout the mission. However in the middle of the second run I was either booted from the party or the leader accidentally disbanded. I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Kion
Jul 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
I've played with a lot of Japanese and usually there is almost always no speaking. Only time people speak is when they join and say yoroshiku. In the RARE chance they start speaking and asking questions I just answer Sou desu ne, works everytime xD

This. I pretty much never talk in any JP parties. Just fill in auto-word with a couple japanese expressions and you probably won't have any problems.

Xefi
Jul 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
PT means party btw.. looks like they were thanking for the party.

from where i was from, PT stands for "physical training". :cat:

Kion
Jul 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
Is this where your from?

http://moonport.org/pictures/QZfA9VrG6N4j5pElQrNLt2yNXRPCrnp6.jpg

Vylera
Jul 10, 2012, 09:47 PM

Now that you mention it, trolling people's MyRooms sounds like a great joke.

-prepares the wedding dress & /bed1 emote-

iwerkout
Jul 10, 2012, 09:49 PM

This!
It goes both ways too. Sure it's not translated perfectly, but both sides get the jist of what the other is stating.

The few Japanese players I have spoken with knew some English, so it was fun going back and forth with them, correcting each other and what not.
All of them were polite and friendly. Makes me kinda want to stay on their server lol.

[SPOILER-BOX]They told me to say "Oyasumi!" when saying "Welcome back!" instead of "bakku kangei."

They were really good with enlish aside from a few spelling errors. One stated "Going to drop buggage" instead of "luggage" when they were going back to the ship to sell to NPC. [/SPOILER-BOX]

Vintasticvin
Jul 10, 2012, 09:54 PM

More than likely they were probably laughing their butts off. I know I would

Xefi
Jul 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
Is this where your from?

http://moonport.org/pictures/QZfA9VrG6N4j5pElQrNLt2yNXRPCrnp6.jpg

ha ha...yeah. except my 3 drill sergents were black and they dont scare me one bit. :cat:

oh well, i actually just learn today that PT stands for party instead of the regular meaning
of it in the military: physical training. :P

pikachief

Oh okay! I asked my brother about it and he said the book didnt have that much Kanji in it anyways :P

MelancholyWitch
I've played with quite a few Japanese players and one thing I've noticed is that some of them say a little bit of English it's funny kinda like they are using Google translator like we are I suppose.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
I've played with quite a few Japanese players and one thing I've noticed is that some of them say a little bit of English it's funny kinda like they are using Google translator like we are I suppose.

The funny thing is when you get right down to it; we're not all that different; Just people playing a game series that we all love.

MelancholyWitch
Jul 10, 2012, 10:03 PM
The funny thing is when you get right down to it; we're not all that different; Just people playing a game series that we all love.

Yes I've always loved that about this community I'm hoping if we get more friendly and closer with our Japanese comrades in game Sega will actually notice and see this perhaps thinking global servers are for the best.

Akaimizu
Jul 10, 2012, 10:04 PM
It still makes me wish we had the good ol' PSO translator stuff. I remember having some good runs with those across the pond, through that version of chat.

Ark22
Jul 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
Not gonna lie, if pvp was added they wouldn't be embarrassed to yell "YOU SUCK WWWW" Or something along those lines.

Geistritter
Jul 10, 2012, 11:51 PM
Not really, actually. They'll passive-aggressively say things like "NA = NO" in room names and such, but won't actually be directly belligerent for the most part. They may tell you you need to do better if it's inconveniencing them, though, and that's the polite ones; elsewise, they'll just leave or kick you. "Professional" is how I'd describe most Japanese players, in a competitive environment or elsewhere.

Which isn't to say that they're not muttering to themselves how much they hate you under their breath, because they probably are; they're just unlikely to say it to you.

Quatre52
Jul 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
Not really, actually. They'll passive-aggressively say things like "NA = NO" in room names and such, but won't actually be directly belligerent for the most part. They may tell you you need to do better if it's inconveniencing them, though, and that's the polite ones; elsewise, they'll just leave or kick you. "Professional" is how I'd describe most Japanese players, in a competitive environment or elsewhere.

Which isn't to say that they're not muttering to themselves how much they hate you under their breath, because they probably are; they're just unlikely to say it to you.

Where do you get this stuff from?!

Coatl
Jul 11, 2012, 12:05 AM
Where do you get this stuff from?!

It's the Japanese culture..
They aren't as up-front as the west is.

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
Also, I used to play Final Fantasy XI, which had integrated servers, so I've actually played extensively with Japanese people. They don't have a lot of free time, which seems to breed a mindset of efficiency, and thus there was sometimes tension between they and western players, because there aren't as many that are willing to dedicate themselves to playing as well as possible.

That, and western gamers tend to be bigger pricks, at least outwardly. While we're inclined to argue at length when we have a disagreement with someone or are insulted, they tend to just get disgusted with you and leave.

All that said, play well and don't be a jerk, and you'll pleasantly surprise most Japanese people, and they often become animated and good-humored. They're surprisingly silly and amusing when they're comfortable.

BIG OLAF
Jul 11, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'm hoping if we get more friendly and closer with our Japanese comrades in game

Never gonna happen as long as the kookjobs on Block 20 keep spamming their unfunny meme symbol art, etc.

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 12:13 AM
Going to second that.

Not that Japanese don't have their own stupid memes, but they don't have the apparent need to spread it absolutely everywhere that our stupid meme bearers do. Again, though, it's a difference in culture; you're discouraged from making a fool of yourself in public there, while here it's often seen as "cool" to act like an idiot.

AlMcFly
Jul 11, 2012, 12:22 AM
Going to second that.

Not that Japanese don't have their own stupid memes, but they don't have the apparent need to spread it absolutely everywhere that our stupid meme bearers do. Again, though, it's a difference in culture; you're discouraged from making a fool of yourself in public there, while here it's often seen as "cool" to act like an idiot.

:D It's hard to stand out as a fool in public when things like this are normal:

[SPOILER-BOX]

http://stat18.privet.ru/lr/0a1730a48bb4aeba8ece78189d07ae9b

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPuMazz18u1Hzvf0iSP6NU3bgJFDacy 0g8L06OB9hkzQXwtulj

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/5/0/9/24509.jpg?v=1

http://www.angryblacklady.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/japan_weird_shit.jpg

[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ark22
Jul 11, 2012, 12:22 AM
*In a total flamboyant accent* On a side note I made my first Japanese friend guuuuys. *smacks lips* oh...my...god....she is sooo adorable. Name is Nara, I had a cat named Nara. She loves me to death and she sounds SOOO cute when you speaks English.

But she is a pretty beast Ranger. Even though she just knows the basic language like Hi, sorry, there, here etc. I feel bad for her when she says sorry and I got "for what" then she just types ....

Makes me feel all sad.

@AIM: I like that chick band,......tell me who they are...PLEEAASSEE!!

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 12:33 AM
It's hard to stand out as a fool in public when things like this are normal

Hey, I said it was discouraged, not that it didn't happen; it's still a way to get noticed, and people are nothing if not attention whores at heart.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 11, 2012, 12:37 AM
*In a total flamboyant accent* On a side note I made my first Japanese friend guuuuys. *smacks lips* oh...my...god....she is sooo adorable. Name is Nara, I had a cat named Nara. She loves me to death and she sounds SOOO cute when you speaks English.

But she is a pretty beast Ranger. Even though she just knows the basic language like Hi, sorry, there, here etc. I feel bad for her when she says sorry and I got "for what" then she just types ....

Makes me feel all sad.

dafuq?

Hosaka
Jul 11, 2012, 12:40 AM
Never gonna happen as long as the kookjobs on Block 20 keep spamming their unfunny meme symbol art, etc.

Not really. I am an unfunny meme symbol art-spamming Block 20 kookjob, and I regularly play and converse with a few JP players.

It's not like the Japanese are all "NO FUN ALLOWED" (honestly, more English-speaking players are like this). Like someone else has pointed out, they have just as much memes as we do. They tend to keep away mostly because the English language intimidates them. It helps to know a little Japanese.

BIG OLAF
Jul 11, 2012, 12:42 AM
Not really. I am an unfunny meme symbol art-spamming Block 20 kookjob, and I regularly play and converse with a few JP players.

It's not like the Japanese are all "NO FUN ALLOWED" (honestly, more English-speaking players are like this). Like someone else has pointed out, they have just as much memes as we do. They tend to keep away mostly because the English language intimidates them. It helps to know a little Japanese.

I was more referring to SEGA "respecting" the English community, as Mr. Pliskin pointed out. I doubt they'll want to acknowledge, let alone respect, a bunch of dick-joke spewing goofballs.

Also, I'm trying to learn a little Japanese (if only to understand the game itself better, as I have no intention with purposely socializing with Japanese players), but it ain't exactly easy.

AlMcFly
Jul 11, 2012, 12:43 AM

I hope you are being sarcastic because those are dudes XD

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
Again, it's just that they have a different mindset. Everyone has different definitions of fun.

That said, yeah, for all of their being worshiped as unflappable gods of playing excellence, they can be quite shy. Some of it's xenophobia, but it's just as often that they're as afraid of looking stupid in front of a foreigner as you are.

Ryudo
Jul 11, 2012, 12:49 AM
I've had it happen, they've never said anything bad, in fact I just found the good job menu and found I had a bunch of them, felt bad for not getting back to them sooner

Hosaka
Jul 11, 2012, 12:50 AM
I was more referring to SEGA "respecting" the English community, as Mr. Pliskin pointed out. I doubt they'll want to acknowledge, let alone respect, a bunch of dick-joke spewing goofballs.

Also, I'm trying to learn a little Japanese (if only to understand the game itself better, as I have no intention with purposely socializing with Japanese players), but it ain't exactly easy.

Sega acknowledges and respects money over anything else, just like any other business. As long as the English-speaking community makes them their Yens, I'm sure they'll just let the in-game profanity filter sort the dick joke situation out.

Edit: The current hacker situation, on the other hand, definitely carries a risk of negatively affecting the community's rep.

Ark22
Jul 11, 2012, 01:09 AM
I hope you are being sarcastic because those are dudes XD

Fuck...I wasn't......Oh well the thought of me sleeping with one of them is now completely gone....for good. MOVING ON.

KitNoctis
Jul 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
It's more in the middle for me. But yes, I've had that moment. Speaking japanese then saying something in english and then EVERYTHING GETS AWKWARD. o.o

HadouMetsu
Jul 11, 2012, 01:22 AM
I love it when foreign players acknowledge me, it makes me feel warm inside :3

Ark22
Jul 11, 2012, 02:00 AM
Japanese Player: Hey Ark, *smiles and winks* Good job.

Me: =). Yeah it does make you feel all warm and fuzzy when they acknowledge you.

Polly
Jul 11, 2012, 02:13 AM
Wanna learn Hiragana and Katakana in short order? Why not have fun doing it?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/401271

J-Type! A shmup built around learning them easily and playing a decently fun little shooter while doing it. There's also a flash card mode with no pressure to help you study at your own pace by enabling and disabling different sets.

UnLucky
Jul 11, 2012, 02:35 AM
Have a question How do you copy out of the game and paste it into google and vesa versa? So, Far I can highlight words but couldn't figure out to copy it so and so on. Had to guess and retype it out in the game very slow work....:(The Universal CTRL + C to copy, CTRL + V to paste.
It's weird though, I find it never works unless I hit Enter (or click) to enable typing, otherwise I can't actually copy the text even when it's highlighted and I press ctrl+c. Scrolling up makes it not even selectable sometimes, idk

You can always go to "\My Documents\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\log" and open up the ChatLogYYYYMMDD_00.txt to look up past messages, too

Ark22
Jul 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
It's weird though, I find it never works unless I hit Enter (or click) to enable typing, otherwise I can't actually copy the text even when it's highlighted and I press ctrl+c. Scrolling up makes it not even selectable sometimes, idk

You can always go to "\My Documents\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\log" and open up the ChatLogYYYYMMDD_00.txt to look up past messages, too

Omg haha I looked up some funny stuff from the CB.

Hrith
Jul 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
It's ありがとう, not ありがと.

Something that will help is すみません日本語わかりません (I'm sorry, I do not understand Japanese). They appreciate the politeness and will usually try to say something in English.

KrankItVZ
Jul 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
MOST of them are pretty nice about it. I know abit of Japanese so I try to read but even if I could it doesn't mean I understand them. Same for the other side too. Nice and quiet community so far. From what I've seen the english community on Ship 9 is more noisy than the rest :P

Still some actually kick you off parties

It's ありがとう, not ありがと.

Something that will help is すみません日本語わかりません (I'm sorry, I do not understand Japanese). They appreciate the politeness and will usually try to say something in English.

Japanese Grammar Nazi: You forgot the "I"

Hrith
Jul 11, 2012, 01:30 PM
You do not really use personal pronouns in Japanese. Grammar Nazi fail.

KrankItVZ
Jul 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
You do not really use personal pronouns in Japanese. Grammar Nazi fail.

In the most polite manner as you mentioned, yes

Ark22
Jul 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
Pretty sure you can Grammar Nazi in every language.

Ce'Nedra
Jul 11, 2012, 06:30 PM
I found a Japanese player few days ago that speaks a bit of english, really nice fellow. Need to party more with him

Kurosu
Jul 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
I just started playing this, and I'm looking forward to partying with JP people.
What always hindered me on Infinity is that while I can write in Japanese, it was always super slow. Unfortunately I don't possess 200 WPM phone keypad touch typing skills like they all seem to do. ;)

Now that I can actually use my keyboard to write, I can finally communicate better.

Nu Lo Yin
Jul 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
I dont think I have been kicked once. Some I speek up (in english) and have not had an issue. They seem to use google translate or something similar, and translat it back. Then I translate back to them, using the google translate. Never had any issues with partying with them.

I play with anyone. I dont need to play with english only. Someone in another thread was complaining about more missions because is would spread us even mor thin. Just play with the Japanese folks. I have never had an issue, and neither have a lot of others. Then you wont have to worry about being spread thin

Jyasupa
Jul 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
In the most polite manner as you mentioned, yes

Even without the personal pronoun it won't come off as impolite. Whether 私 is included, especially in the context of an online video, is really up to the speaker lol.

Ark22
Jul 12, 2012, 01:02 AM
Just got kicked for not knowing Kanji

Yakatsugi
Jul 12, 2012, 01:06 AM
私も漢字が知らないんです。
^I also do not know Kanji.

Ishutani
Jul 12, 2012, 02:33 AM
there was one Japanese player whom I've done a run spoke perfect English, except that he called me ma'am, now i feel old, hes probably off to make more people feel old by being called ma'am, that said i should probably tell him that calling people ma'am will make people feel old <.<;

in any case i guess some people have really good English there

Vylera
Jul 12, 2012, 02:36 AM

Rude, but it's not only their game, but their party, so what can you do right?

Farthest I've gotten with Japanese players so far is:

1. A party of 6 following behind me wherever I go with a Force restaing me even if I wasn't hurt.

2. "Congrats." -20 min later- "See you later."

kp77
Jul 12, 2012, 02:51 AM

The game is in Japanese, they are Japanese, if they/or you can't communicate with you/them fast enough or fluently enough I think they have every right to no?

People make everything sound like as if they have never kicked people out of the parties or acted against people (whether nicely or frankly/rudely) because of language difficulties.

..wait if you don't know Kanji, how do you know you were even getting kicked for that in the first place?

kazuuya
Jul 12, 2012, 05:22 AM
Actually I can relate to the "embarrased, they don't want to make a fool out of themself" feeling. I'm from germany, and I'm really really scared to simply join a party or talk to others in online games. I really don't want to look like a idiot or disturb/annoy anyone. So I mostly play only with friends whom I know, and we mostly chat in skype or party chat. Plus I got called a "Nazi" several times when I told people where I'm from, which is pretty hurtful... that boosted my fear of simply joining parties even more.

But if I actually get the courage to talk, or if someone breaks the ice, I'm a really polite and talkactive person hahah.

Patmaster
Jul 12, 2012, 05:51 AM
GERMANY!!! :D

I am always friendly and trying hard to understand everybody when I join a party. My english is not the best neither is my japanese, lol. But I am at least trying to be nice. If somebody kicks me for no reason, well then "f*** him". It's more the 1337-peeps here who show arrogance. (smiling at S2 B20 4th floorers, picspammers and dancers)

Ark22
Jul 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
The game is in Japanese, they are Japanese, if they/or you can't communicate with you/them fast enough or fluently enough I think they have every right to no?

People make everything sound like as if they have never kicked people out of the parties or acted against people (whether nicely or frankly/rudely) because of language difficulties.

..wait if you don't know Kanji, how do you know you were even getting kicked for that in the first place?

I got an abrupt loading screen, follow up to the lobby. Looked back into the search party to see them still there with their time.

I mean I don't mind it but I am gonna assume because I just said "hello" then....BAM. Could be because I spoke English, I seen a lot of "those" players on MHP3rd Ad-Hoc servers back when it first came out.

And how would they need to communicate with me? Hit it till it dies and don't get hit. Also heal them. :'(

At Kazuuya: Help me find the box of tomato fairies. Nah Jk, but if you evvveerr need a teammate and are on ship too I got your back. My level 2 German from highschool can sorta help.