PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on "localizing" PSO2

ZcRaider
Jul 10, 2012, 08:20 PM
Please feel free to share your thoughts on this subject ^^

[begin rant :ak: ]

So sega is localizing this game. And everybody is on edge because of these long maintence periods. And I cant help but to think..."Thats what beta testing is for". But if i read correctly, sega has hastened this period, and decared pso2 as a full game.....Which in my opinon of playing...is not quite the case. Seems to me that sega is starting to show there true money hungry-selves. So, now there trying to make up for it by making these long maintence cycles, when they should have just kept it Open Beta a little longer and weeded out the bandwith and bug problems.

You know its these types of "Forward leaning" business strategys that can potentially destroy a perfectly crafted game. Just look at Shenmue or better yet the epic console of the 90's....the Dreamcast. Both supported or owned by sega. Both for the most part dead because of poor financial planning, dispite the product being PURE GOLD....

And now this game is being localized. Anyone non-japanese will have to wait until next year to see PSO2 in there native tongue.... Putting the rest of the world including America on the back burner just seems like a bad sign to me. Reminds me of PSU's content delays. Man.. I hope im wrong....so hope im wrong. LoL for all i know...the world will be over by the time this game reaches US shores. I better rent me an airplane.....

I really dont mind having to learn japanese to play this game. I love the language and im a big anime buff! :nerd: However, its the priciple of the matter that disturbs me greatly. I know there are processes in place for localized distribution...but you know..when it all comes down to it...we all bleed red. I really dont understand why they need to localize this game. Make it global. More money right? I mean you look at Japan on the map...and compare it with the rest of the countries.....BIG DIFFERENCE in size and population. I mean didnt japan just get hit by one of the biggest tsunami's in history? Isnt there more money to be made in the global economy than a localized one? No...that doesnt add up for me. For them to localize PSO2, is a PRIDE thing and not a very good busniess strategy in my opinion. And if there not doing a global distribution because they dont have the resources too, only further displays sega's incompetence for business planning. I know there two companies.....Sega Japan and Sega Euro right? They need to be communicating and working together instead of acting as two different entities.

Besides.... the support for English and potential other languages are already built in the game. I mean the annoucer for the "emergency events" is in english right? So whats the deal. So why does it have to be a japanese first come and serve only type of thing. What message does that give too anyone non-japanese? And i dont just mean American. Why not just distribute the game globally and add multi language support for the menus. They can even leave the story in Japanese to keep its artful flare....and just make multi-language subtitles.

I know this is more of a rant post than anything else... But you know, I see the wheel turning...and things are lookings all too familar for my taste... Time will tell....guess.

[end of rant :coffin: ]

Well these are my thoughts....what are yours? :beer:

Chik'Tikka
Jul 10, 2012, 08:22 PM
Once NA/EU version comes out, there will be no excuse for a lack of an English patch for JP client+^_^+ *looks at that language select box in launcher* that goes for you too Segac!!+^_^+

terrell707
Jul 10, 2012, 08:24 PM
IMHO, I've been playing the game since day one of CBT. So if I move to the localized server, by the time SEGA starts screwing us over, I'll probably be so tired of the game that I won't even care. Happened with PSU. Loved it but by the time they started delaying updates even longer, I was just bored of the game. Or I'll probably move to the more better version on whatever console/PC system they bring it to (looks at PSP2 and PSP2i).

ZcRaider
Jul 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
Forum moderator has a sense of humor.......humbling......

Well now that i see how things are run...i guess im gonna have to learn ballet so i can step around the egg shells better. heh.

Im done.

lostinseganet
Jul 10, 2012, 08:32 PM
Jpn was never the same again after the hacking reamming of the original pso. The filthy gajin will never clean off the unwashed masses in JPN's eyes ever!

NoiseHERO
Jul 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
I care more about my new keyboard that I got for free.

/goes back to playing both versions

Only "ISSUES" I have right now with PSO2 is an ACTUAL problem, in the JP version preventing gaming with my friends, with this server locking away new characters "fix."

Peejay
Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
I refuse to get shafted because Japan views themselves as superior while breeding their models with russians and calling it pure anyways, and feel content to toss us scraps whenever the hell they feel with it.

I'm going to Aladdin this and keep playing the JP version because you know, I want the game to be ENTERTAINING.

Zeota
Jul 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
I hope PSOW gets a shot at interviewing Sakai-san one day. Just throw some real ball-busters at him. Make that man squirm in his chair! I'd love to see that.

I'd like to believe they can do right by their non-Japanese fan base for once, but the deck is very much stacked against them. Money problems etc.

Polly
Jul 13, 2012, 01:33 AM
I hope PSOW gets a shot at interviewing Sakai-san one day. Just throw some real ball-busters at him. Make that man squirm in his chair! I'd love to see that.

Entertaining thought, but would likely never happen. The staff would be too awestruck with the opportunity and Sakai's translator/handler/PR Dude would put the kibosh on anything challenging or that may paint the company or game in anything other than a positive light.

Zeota
Jul 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
Entertaining thought, but would likely never happen. The staff would be too awestruck with the opportunity and Sakai's translator/handler/PR Dude would put the kibosh on anything challenging or that may paint the company or game in anything other than a positive light.

Yeah, true. Usually how that shit goes down.

Meyfei
Jul 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
**** YOU sega. /end thoughts

Peejay
Jul 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah, true. Usually how that shit goes down.

Then you require pressure, and if they withhold from answering a lot of questions, you have the opportunity to make that poisonous anyway.