PDA

View Full Version : Consensus on max hunter DPS?

drew_pso
Jul 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
Edit: skip to this post http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2799766#post2799766 for the start of on-topic replies and discussion.

Has there been a consensus on how to get maximum DPS as hunter? I've looked through a few threads (especially the hunter ability tree thread, lots of good info) but I'm not sure what people currently think is the best approach for maximizing DPS.

For example, have we figured out if a gunslash with smart PA usage will do more single-target DPS than a sword? Is it better to put points in fury stance or in other attack bonuses? Is sword gear a significant DPS boost? I'm wondering if anyone has good info on this stuff now.

If anyone has stuff they want to model or simulate, let me know and I can help code something up.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
Shouldn't you be more concerned which type of dps is more fun for you? This isn't WoW.

Blackheart521
Jul 10, 2012, 09:06 PM
Poison V, that is all ^^

drew_pso
Jul 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
Shouldn't you be more concerned which type of dps is more fun for you? This isn't WoW.

Maximum DPS with a melee weapon without regard to my own physical safety (HP and defense stats) is the most fun for me :)

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 09:13 PM
Maximum DPS with a melee weapon without regard to my own physical safety (HP and defense stats) is the most fun for me :)

Well i suppose that is better than what i thought you would say.Makes sense then.

Geistritter
Jul 10, 2012, 09:29 PM

God, this mindset drives me nuts. Just let people play the way they want. If you're so concerned about fun, don't question where other people find it.

As for how to maximize effectiveness, all I know is what I've done and seen, but it depends on what exactly you're looking for; it's a much more variable subject in this game.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
God, this mindset drives me nuts. Just let people play the way they want. If you're so concerned about fun, don't question where other people find it.

As for how to maximize effectiveness, all I know is what I've done and seen, but it depends on what exactly you're looking for; it's a much more variable subject in this game.

As someone who has been playing rpgs/mmos/mmorpgs since i was a kid, the new mindset that was given birth by WoW sickens me.I know i shouldn't question how they have fun but it is also why WoW's community is so terrible.It spawned a new gen of mmorpg gamer.Ones that are only concerned what the 'best" is.Once they find that "best" they don't bother with anything else and anyone outside of this "best".

Sure that is the worst side of it, but it is being seen everywhere now.

Luckily this guy just wants to be reckless, which i enjoy doing too XD

As for my hunter i intend to go gunblades only,max JA,max fury stance, and fury critical, max dodge, and get reversal. So if i don't dodge ill die. I like it.

10011408V3.9
Jul 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
As someone who has been playing rpgs/mmos/mmorpgs since i was a kid, the new mindset that was given birth by WoW sickens me.I know i shouldn't question how they have fun but it is also why WoW's community is so terrible.It spawned a new gen of mmorpg gamer.Ones that are only concerned what the 'best" is.Once they find that "best" they don't bother with anything else and anyone outside of this "best".

Sure that is the worst side of it, but it is being seen everywhere now.

Luckily this guy just wants to be reckless, which i enjoy doing too XD

As for my hunter i intend to go gunblades only,max JA,max fury stance, and fury critical, max dodge, and get reversal. So if i don't dodge ill die. I like it.

A lot of it has to do with how Blizzard didn't really (by either deliberate design choice or a mistake) make the class trees in WoW that effective at presenting a choice. Too much of it was "increase by such amount" and "boosted by said %" or "no damage on a save" kind of effects that were easily broken down into their component parts and simply CALCULATED to arrive at a winner at the top of the heap. Damn the scientific method I guess.

Also, when you get enough people under one tent, your chances of finding abnormally loud douchebags goes up significantly. Especially when this is combined with the Internet. I present to you, John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/)!

recursive
Jul 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
since i was a kid, the new mindset that was given birth by WoW

What? Minmaxing has been around since the dawn of humanity. Wanting to get the most out of your money, resources, troops, character, yourself is no concept that was born with WoW.

10011408V3.9
Jul 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
What? Minmaxing has been around since the dawn of humanity. Wanting to get the most out of your money, resources, troops, character, yourself is no concept that was born with WoW.

That is true, but this flavor is more like an advanced case of Munchkinism (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Munchkin).

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 09:59 PM

That is true.However, the egos , crappy guilds based on nothing but that, and the mistreatment of alot of other players in many games because of not being with the min/max norm was.

I had never seen such hostility towards newer players or players wishing to try different things until WoW came around.

Hell in some guilds if you didn't rank high enough on dps meters you were kicked out, if you made mistakes that caused problems in their "numbers" you were kicked out, and so on. I know many people that came flocking to many of the casual guilds because of this or simply quit mmorpgs all together.

Keep in mind i have been in guilds since the beginning days of EQ.

kgptzac
Jul 10, 2012, 10:00 PM
came in to look for some tips about Hunter's dps ability, left disappointed after seeing people start talking about WoW.

On topic, however, I think there are many variables, such as aoe mobs or against boss, how often you have to dodge/move etc.

gigawuts
Jul 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, uh...

To answer the OP:

You'll probably want sword gear, as it's the only gear that rewards you with consistent bonus damage potential. The wirelance gear is good, but limited in that bars need to be filled by dealing damage and then the bonus is only for PA's, and PA's drain a bar. Sword gear is filled by damage, but never actually drained by anything except time spent not dealing damage. The sword gear lets sonic arrow strike three times and shortens rising edge and nova strike charge times from 5-6 seconds to a cool 1 second. The damage potential is very nice.

For which skills to put bonuses in, well, that's still not really confirmed. It's only recently been determined that JA Bonus DOES apply to PA's (confusing wording suggested it didn't), and traditionally percentage bonuses far outweigh fixed number bonuses.

Then the issue nobody is sure on is crits versus ability versus s-atk. S-ATK definitely raises your max damage range. Ability definitely raises your minimum damage range. How much? I'm not certain myself. What is it crits actually do? More damage, but we're not 100% sure in what way.

My new tree will be JA Bonus 1 & 2 skilled up to 9 & 10, then sword gear, just counter, and step reversal. I'm getting the best vibes from this loadout, but that's me.

10011408V3.9
Jul 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah, uh...

To answer the OP:

You'll probably want sword gear, as it's the only gear that rewards you with consistent bonus damage potential. The wirelance gear is good, but limited in that bars need to be filled by dealing damage and then the bonus is only for PA's, and PA's drain a bar. Sword gear is filled by damage, but never actually drained by anything except time spent not dealing damage. The sword gear lets sonic arrow strike three times and shortens rising edge and nova strike charge times from 5-6 seconds to a cool 1 second. The damage potential is very nice.

For which skills to put bonuses in, well, that's still not really confirmed. It's only recently been determined that JA Bonus DOES apply to PA's (confusing wording suggested it didn't), and traditionally percentage bonuses far outweigh fixed number bonuses.

Then the issue nobody is sure on is crits versus ability versus s-atk. S-ATK definitely raises your max damage range. Ability definitely raises your minimum damage range. How much? I'm not certain myself. What is it crits actually do? More damage, but we're not 100% sure in what way.

My new tree will be JA Bonus 1 & 2 skilled up to 9 & 10, then sword gear, just counter, and step reversal. I'm getting the best vibes from this loadout, but that's me.

A swords-offensive build I take it? It has a solid foundation for that.

Though, my worry is, as the prospective owner of a Leo Mag (Striking Group, Ability Type) that future expansions might release new equipment with significantly higher requirements without giving the current players, with their 45 skill points allocated and fully-matured-lvl-150 mags, a way of responding to the new gearing requirements outside of AC.

So I'm a bit hesitant with doubling-down on non-stat-raising skills. So this would lead to my question then: In the doomsday-maybe-just-rainy-day scenario I proposed above, what would be the most S-Power that would be rendered as an acceptable sacrifice to justify keeping the points in the JA stuff and not plopping down AC to respec (no option for it as unable to buy) to shift then over to S-Attack Up to gain access to the new...let's say it's a sword?

Geistritter
Jul 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
I really don't get how people keep forgetting that this series has always let you have way, way more of a stat than is required to equip something. This constant paranoia about being unable to equip gear is baffling; it's obvious that what little we can't equip now is only because they're drip feeding content. Once the game is actually in a remotely complete state, it's not going to be a problem.

Besides, the things you can't equip aren't a huge upgrade from what you can anyway. It takes a lot of one's attack stat to start being noticeable.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
I really don't get how people keep forgetting that this series has always let you have way, way more of a stat than is required to equip something. This constant paranoia about being unable to equip gear is baffling; it's obvious that what little we can't equip now is only because they're drip feeding content. Once the game is actually in a remotely complete state, it's not going to be a problem.

Besides, the things you can't equip aren't a huge upgrade from what you can anyway. It takes a lot of one's attack stat to start being noticeable.

Ya lol it is still PSO, you can equip everything of your own class eventually(well unless we get some race/gender restrictive gear at some point).

Sigmund
Jul 10, 2012, 11:48 PM
You might want to consider swapping between two weapons. Gunblades have me convinced that they are single target DPS kings on targets that aren't very mobile:
http://youtu.be/8e0BRIzDKnU

However on targets that moves a lot, passive PP regen matters and it might be better to deliver one strong blow instead of multiple weak ones.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
You might want to consider swapping between two weapons. Gunblades have me convinced that they are single target DPS kings on targets that aren't very mobile:
http://youtu.be/8e0BRIzDKnU

However on targets that moves a lot, passive PP regen matters and it might be better to deliver one strong blow instead of multiple weak ones.

has serpent air always hit that many times? i swear it only hits 3 times now for me. that's a really cool vid though, and shows how gunslash shines in it's fast pp regen

Sigmund
Jul 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
It hits 6 times, you just made me count! It never hit 3 times for me, unless you're thinking of tri-attack.

I find his movement beautiful, like dash canceling left and right. He's also playing with a pad... not using auto-lock either. I don't even =|

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 11, 2012, 12:12 AM
It hits 6 times, you just made me count! It never hit 3 times for me, unless you're thinking of tri-attack.

I find his movement beautiful, like dash canceling left and right. He's also playing with a pad... not using auto-lock either. I don't even =|

sigmund i assumed everybody dashjumpdashed

that's like the biggest reason i find hunter fun, the movement is much more free compared to all other classes. a lot of hunters i see are dash canceling as well now.

if you do it right you basically never get hit so you kinda have to do it anyway. his video does a really good job showing how if you just go underneath most bosses you're safe lol

vash showed a good example of dash canceling when he put up his soloing video of the panthers. dash kick>just attack is a pretty nice and safe way to regen pp and i saw him doing that.

he uses auto-lock in the video when he shoots the gun but that's about it.

Sigmund
Jul 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
I know about it, but the way he displays it is impressive. Where's that video for vash?

gigawuts
Jul 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
Does that have a better result with dashing? I'll have to do that.

And yeah, the safest place when fighting any boss is directly to the side of the neck, using PA's and attacks to stay airborne as much as possible. It's even a viable strategy against the panthers, since their swipes can't come from behind you there - the only issue against that boss is getting and STAYING there.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 11, 2012, 12:22 AM
I know about it, but the way he displays it is impressive. Where's that video for vash?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7sRpiI0AU

he times a lot of his dodges right but imo what's key is how he abuses "stay underneath boss and doesn't afraid of anything," which i'm guilty of as well.

it definitely takes practice and it's a good show, but i don't think he's amazing.

the main thing i liked was how he used thrillsplosion and switched between shooting/melee constantly to maximize his damage capability. his thrillsplosion against the tail when the dragon ran by was pretty slick.

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 12:25 AM
Not sure why you're expressing surprise about him using a controller; Hunters get a massive advantage in control with analog sticks.

Keyboard Hunters have the advantage of being able to switch weapons more quickly and easily, but there also aren't that many PAs worth using either, so it's not a particularly big deal yet.

drew_pso
Jul 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
I'm the only person I ever see using dash-jump-dash when playing. I figured it out on my own, without having seen it in videos, so now that I've seen it in videos of good players, it's good to know that I'm on the right track. I guess I don't see other people using it because I'm still at a pretty low level.

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 12:29 AM
Well, this is also the kind of game that's not hard to be good at, but most people just aren't.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 11, 2012, 12:34 AM
Well, this is also the kind of game that's not hard to be good at, but most people just aren't.

i'd wager it's because a lot of the people that are playing pso2 are coming from previous ps games, none of which required any marginal amount of reflex/button mashing skill to play. i suppose you could say psportable and just guard/dodging had some skill in it but not really. pso2 is taking a big jump action wise, so perhaps it's player base has to catch up.

online rpg games are slowly (figuratively slowly, as in the past 2/3 years if you don't count the really early games like lunia) starting to make the shift from point and click bullshit to non-targeting, skill based games. it's weird because it seems to be happening all at once, but yeah. give people some time and i'm sure they'll adapt sooner or later.

Sigmund
Jul 11, 2012, 12:37 AM
I never played with pad, so I wouldn't know. From past experience though, it was always better to play on keyboard in a game designed for the PC.

drew_pso
Jul 11, 2012, 12:41 AM
I use a keyboard, and I could probably do the same stuff in that video with a bit of practice. But it might be a bit easier to use a gamepad. I also hate when I accidentally dodge because I tapped a direction twice too quickly on the keyboard. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable that.

Anyway, that player is doing pretty crazy damage, and the no-guarding-or-getting-hit style is what I like to do. What's the best way to optimize stats, mag etc. for this type of gunslash fighting?

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
I never played with pad, so I wouldn't know. From past experience though, it was always better to play on keyboard in a game designed for the PC.

analog stick definitely has a slight advantage movement wise since you have 360 degrees of control of where you want to go. but if you're used to computer games then simply moving in accordance with shifting the camera with your mouse does the trick fine. i've played computer games all the time so i'm pretty used to getting my characters to move exactly the way i want to even though i only have 8 ways of direction using the key board, because i'm used to moving with the mouse as well.

i really like the ability to switch my photon arts on 1-6 with just one swift hit though. it's pretty convenient and helps me adapt to situations faster than fumbling about with the regular r/f buttons.

RocSage
Jul 11, 2012, 12:46 AM
To get the highest single hit damage you need
To be a CAST
Whatever the Strongest Sword is with Vol Dragon Soul and Power 5 grinded to +10
Then you need a Delphinius 150 S-ATK Mag
Then for skills you want;
Sword Gear
S-ATK 1 lvl10
Just Attack Bonus 1 & 2 lvl10
Fury Stance lvl6
You then would want to get Power 5 on all three units
Lvl 10 Sword Photon Arts

Once you have all that, grab a Ranger with Weak Bullet 10 and a Force with Shifta 10. Go to Rock Bear. get your Sword ger up to maximum. Have the Force cast Shifta.
Then you need to Just Attack into a Charged up Photon Arts skill onto the nose of the Rockbear which the Ranger has Weak Shot.

I would imagine that would give you about 3-4000 damage in one hit if you are lucky and hit a critical just attack.

I'd never go out of my way to try to do that, but thats what you'd do if you wanted the highest numbers in the game for single hit damage.

gigawuts
Jul 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
[PSO2] Snow Banther & Banshee Solo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7sRpiI0AU)

he times a lot of his dodges right but imo what's key is how he abuses "stay underneath boss and doesn't afraid of anything," which i'm guilty of as well.

it definitely takes practice and it's a good show, but i don't think he's amazing.

the main thing i liked was how he used thrillsplosion and switched between shooting/melee constantly to maximize his damage capability. his thrillsplosion against the tail when the dragon ran by was pretty slick.
re: the video, not the commentary on the other vol dragon video

Because, you know, I can't shut up about Dark Souls and the hunter's gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA

This game is seriously a dream come true. I need it even more difficult. The banshee/bantha is the first boss fight that I feel actually forces a player to learn and adapt to the situation at hand - even during the boss fight itself - but is still entirely doable. Having both in front of you isn't the same as having both at 90 degree angles, in the same place, or on opposite sides of you. It is brutal and actually challenging in the way it teaches you and I want more of it.

Of course, you can take hits in this game so you don't have a death for every lesson learned, but the meat of the combat itself compares pretty well. If somebody told me 6 months ago that in june I'd be getting a hybrid of PSO and Dark Souls I'd have probably laughed and walked out of the room. Like Sega would deliver such a beautiful thing.

Well, here it is.

drew_pso
Jul 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
I'm looking for maximum damage output in normal scenarios, not a single special-case encounter with one hit.

The gunslash style seems to do the most damage. If I'm guessing correctly, what I need is as much S-Attack as possible, but also enough Ability to be able to equip the gunslash I want to use, correct? Or is it better to increase Ability even more than the bare minimum?

What should my mag's stats be?

Wolfgrey666
Jul 11, 2012, 12:56 AM
To get the highest single hit damage you need
To be a CAST
Whatever the Strongest Sword is with Vol Dragon Soul and Power 5 grinded to +10
Then you need a Delphinius 150 S-ATK Mag
Then for skills you want;
Sword Gear
S-ATK 1 lvl10
Just Attack Bonus 1 & 2 lvl10
Fury Stance lvl6
You then would want to get Power 5 on all three units
Lvl 10 Sword Photon Arts

Once you have all that, grab a Ranger with Weak Bullet 10 and a Force with Shifta 10. Go to Rock Bear. get your Sword ger up to maximum. Have the Force cast Shifta.
Then you need to Just Attack into a Charged up Photon Arts skill onto the nose of the Rockbear which the Ranger has Weak Shot.

I would imagine that would give you about 3-4000 damage in one hit if you are lucky and hit a critical just attack.

I'd never go out of my way to try to do that, but thats what you'd do if you wanted the highest numbers in the game for single hit damage.

Go my topic and you will find a youtube vid someone else posted with higher numbers for single hit damage off upper traps :P

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 11, 2012, 01:05 AM
Go my topic and you will find a youtube vid someone else posted with higher numbers for single hit damage off upper traps :P

roc sage seems like he's forgotten about heavenly fall, if we're talking big single hit numbers.

@gigawuts, this is just a friendly jab but if you played through dark souls i'm surprised you were frustrated with accordion dragon lol

dark souls is just about, uh

a billion times harder than pso2. it's a great game though.

IAmSecretSpy
Jul 11, 2012, 01:12 AM
I'm only Level 21 and i do as much damage as a Level 36 Hunter that has Better Gear then me, i focus on my Lance as it gives an assortment of ability's worth using. Its amazing at crowd control which is Amazing especially with PSE Burst's and Crossburst's. But im also leaning towards using a Gunblade. Time will tell :)

RocSage
Jul 11, 2012, 01:13 AM

I was low balling the number and stated it wrong. It should say at least 3-4000 damage.

What I posted is a lot more S-ATK than what I have and I get ~1400 with my set up.
With the set up I proposed You'd have around +240 S-ATK from the abilities on your gear. JA Bonus gives like +1% per level so thats +20%. Sword is base of around 300 and you normally have around 300. Fury Stance and Shifta I don't know how much it raises your attack. And weak bullet lvl 10. That I would estimate equal out to about 1500-2000 S-ATK, without Weak bullet...which means you should be getting about 1000-1500 damage per hit with a sword when you add all that up. Weak Bullet lvl1 I've seen x4 or x5 my damage so I'd imagine You'd actually get in the 10,000 range.

Though you'd probably easily die too lol

Traps usually hit for high damage though so i'm not surprised they do hit that high with such ease.

gigawuts
Jul 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
roc sage seems like he's forgotten about heavenly fall, if we're talking big single hit numbers.

@gigawuts, this is just a friendly jab but if you played through dark souls i'm surprised you were frustrated with accordion dragon lol

dark souls is just about, uh

a billion times harder than pso2. it's a great game though.

What frustrated me was getting stunned and then pinned. It was the wait. In dark souls if I screw up I have the red text on the screen and that's that, LET'S TRY AGAIN.

But noooooo, noodle dragon has to draw it out. Will I get out in time? Will I get hit again? I DON'T KNOW.

After I found out you can wiggle out of stun I felt pretty dumb, though.

RocSage
Jul 11, 2012, 01:28 AM

I don't think that number posted in the stats thing is all that accurate that posts in the highest damage ting because if i remember right mine is higher than i've ever seen myself actually do.

But yes I did forget that move, if you want to call it heavenly fall ok. I've not heard it ever called that but sure, that's a good PA. I've seen it fairly variable in how much damage it does to what. Just my experience, but I hardly ever pay attention.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 11, 2012, 01:30 AM
What frustrated me was getting stunned and then pinned. It was the wait. In dark souls if I screw up I have the red text on the screen and that's that, LET'S TRY AGAIN.

But noooooo, noodle dragon has to draw it out. Will I get out in time? Will I get hit again? I DON'T KNOW.

After I found out you can wiggle out of stun I felt pretty dumb, though.

rofl

yeah, stun lasts a really long time if you don't wiggle.

@rocsage what do you mean if i want to call it heavenly fall?

that's what wired lance's ninja suplex spinny grab attack is called. it's called ヘブンリーフォール

hebunri- fuo-ru

or just heavenly fall

and with gear gauge i'm pretty sure it's the highest single hit hunter pa out there. dps wise, donno.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 11, 2012, 01:32 AM
Wiggle,wiggle,wiggle.

drew_pso
Jul 11, 2012, 05:31 AM
I guess there's a lot that's not known about this game. I'd be more than willing to write a combat/mechanics simulator and stat calculator if anyone can dig up more information about how the stats in this game work.

Geistritter
Jul 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
But yes I did forget that move, if you want to call it heavenly fall ok. I've not heard it ever called that

It's not a matter of calling it what you want to; that's what ヘブンリーフォール says. Isn't more complicated than that.

Anyway, 4000 seems quite low under optimal circumstances. I couldn't tell you what isn't, but I'd be pretty surprised if that was close to the single largest hit a Hunter is capable of producing; I've done almost twice that much on a Ranger, with a mediocre weapon, and Hunters are capable of having much more Striking than Rangers are Shooting, and have PAs with higher modifiers than Rangers do.

drew_pso
Jul 12, 2012, 10:08 AM
Edit: I misinterpreted what someone else had said in a different thread. I believe what I want is not possible. Looks like I'll have to master the R/F double-tap.

Sorry, this is a bit OT, but how do I bind attack palette switching to single key presses? I can't find the option. I'm trying to reduce the amount of time it takes to switch weapons so I can switch between two different PA setups quickly.

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
rofl

@rocsage what do you mean if i want to call it heavenly fall?

that's what wired lance's ninja suplex spinny grab attack is called. it's called ヘブンリーフォール

hebunri- fuo-ru

or just heavenly fall

It's not a matter of calling it what you want to; that's what ヘブンリーフォール says. Isn't more complicated than that.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I just haven't heard it called that and I've seen it called other things so I didn't know what you were talking about.

Anyway, 4000 seems quite low under optimal circumstances. I couldn't tell you what isn't, but I'd be pretty surprised if that was close to the single largest hit a Hunter is capable of producing; I've done almost twice that much on a Ranger, with a mediocre weapon, and Hunters are capable of having much more Striking than Rangers are Shooting, and have PAs with higher modifiers than Rangers do.

Indeed. regardless of what the actual number is, the method is still probably the way to go to get the max single hit damage. Replace Sword with Wired Lance and it's the same thing.

Ueno54
Jul 12, 2012, 11:44 AM

The problem is the max DPS mind set leads down a nasty road of abusive players if it gets too out of control. I quit playing WoW when most of my "bad" friends quit, because they were berated by jerks playing for their e-peens.

gigawuts
Jul 12, 2012, 01:44 PM

I'm not sure what the circumstances were, but with the same +8 vol scale I've had since halfway through the OBT I nailed over 7.8k damage on something that was evidently very squishy. Before that my top damage was 3.4k on ragne's weak bulleted weak point with the same vol scale and even the same level of 40, and before that it was 2.2k around level 16 on ragne's weak bulleted weak point with heavenly fall.

The only difference in stats is my units now all have vol souls, that's it. (edit: Actually, I also invested in a new tree and got JA Bonus to +9 & +10, but that still wouldn't account for so much extra damage. I was also using fury stance 5 at the time.) I want to say I got the hit on a banshee/bantha, but it may have been ragne or even the de malmoth. Honestly I don't know, and it's not really something I can consistently do like rangers or forces - but given how much more frequent my PA's are anyway I'd say it's less about burst damage and more about continuous damage.

Rangers and Forces still have the upper hand with range. I think that in due time Hunters will be top, as they typically wind up being, because enemies won't go down silly fast like they do at this point and the curve won't peter out like it always has for rangers and forces. Remember being in PSO1 and door hugging as a force or ranger, and how that beat getting smacked into the ground by Guil Sharks? And then remember how ineffective and tedious that became later on?

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
I did 3.4k damage on a Malmoth the other day with Heavenly Fall on it's weak spot (the horn thing on it's back) That was not buffed in any way s I have no doubt that give then right equipment and buffing it'd be extremely easy to get super high damage with that.

gigawuts
Jul 13, 2012, 11:22 AM
I miss my HUcast mechguns :(

Scarlet_Rain
Jul 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure what the circumstances were, but with the same +8 vol scale I've had since halfway through the OBT I nailed over 7.8k damage on something that was evidently very squishy. Before that my top damage was 3.4k on ragne's weak bulleted weak point with the same vol scale and even the same level of 40, and before that it was 2.2k around level 16 on ragne's weak bulleted weak point with heavenly fall.

The only difference in stats is my units now all have vol souls, that's it. (edit: Actually, I also invested in a new tree and got JA Bonus to +9 & +10, but that still wouldn't account for so much extra damage. I was also using fury stance 5 at the time.) I want to say I got the hit on a banshee/bantha, but it may have been ragne or even the de malmoth. Honestly I don't know, and it's not really something I can consistently do like rangers or forces - but given how much more frequent my PA's are anyway I'd say it's less about burst damage and more about continuous damage.

Rangers and Forces still have the upper hand with range. I think that in due time Hunters will be top, as they typically wind up being, because enemies won't go down silly fast like they do at this point and the curve won't peter out like it always has for rangers and forces. Remember being in PSO1 and door hugging as a force or ranger, and how that beat getting smacked into the ground by Guil Sharks? And then remember how ineffective and tedious that became later on?

7.8k sword? which pa? not too experienced with hunter

gigawuts
Jul 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
It was probably Rising Edge, as that's what I spam when focusing on a weak point.