PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for soloing Vol Dragon as a hunter?

Fafnir
Jul 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
Level 12 hunter trying to do Ozha's quest, I've gotten him close to dying (At least, I think I have, I've gotten well past the point where he starts summoning baby dragons), but I eventually just end up running out of mates.

I've essentially just been slugging away at his feet with a sword, but it's obviously not doing much damage (what with the fight taking over 20 minutes before I go down).

Any suggestions? I know he has a weak point on his head, but I don't like the idea of risking getting in the face of all of his strongest attacks. I know he has a weak point on his tail, but he keeps moving around, and having to be in the air to hit him makes it not exactly reliable. I think he has a weak point on his back, but I have no clue how I would hit that as a hunter.

Halcyote
Jul 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
basically, as you said, the tail and his horns are vol dragon's weakpoints. it's best to just focus on those.

i honestly have no trouble jumping to hit vol dragon's tail, but if you do, try switching to gun mode on a gunblade + lockon mode and whack at him that way. his attacks are predictable enough to know when you should hit and dodge.

IceBlink
Jul 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
To be honest, Vol Dragon is tougher than Dark Ragne. I held off on doing the "solo Vol Dragon with Ozha" until I was in my 20s.

As you noted, the weak points are his face and tail, both of which are either dangerous or hard to hit. You can however attack from his side at his face, if that helps.

Dinosaur
Jul 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
Go for horn damage with jump attacks. If you have Just Guard, you won't have to dodge anything which means more time spent attacking.

Ueno54
Jul 11, 2012, 11:20 PM
Rave Trick with the Partisan is pretty amazing for cracking his tail and horns. Every time he jumps backwards he'll shoot a fireball when he lands, so just chase him and Rave Trick the tail while he's inactive.

Darki
Jul 11, 2012, 11:25 PM
I currently managed to kill the damn lizard by myself, but I had to focus on hitting the legs mostly.

I gotta be too used to the Force dodging, because for the life of me I NEVER manage to dodge attacks, in the way of using the short invincibility span to avoid attacks. If I gotta go out of an attacks way that's fine, but when I'm on the guy's face and he decides to do a tail spin and I can't go out of the range in time, I always get pwn3d.

Ueno54
Jul 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
Think you can jump over his tail when he does that.

Evaline
Jul 12, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hi Fafnir,

For this particular Client Order, although it says "Only Ohza", you may fill up the additional slots with human players.

Also do note that you have no time limit. Take your time.

If you have any access to Poison, many players have proven for this to be extremely effective on Vol Dragon.

I hope I was some help.

Fafnir
Jul 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
Beat him last night. Actually used the lock on to target the tale (too used to Dragon's Dogma, I usually just use the right stick orient the camera), and it made getting that damn tail so much easier.

holmwood
Jul 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
As a hunter, you can just gunslash bullet spam from a distance locked onto the tail or horn full time.

With an ice gunslash, even better.

For maximum damage, you can alternate between gunslash and your choice hunter weapon; regenerating PP from a distance and going up close to spam a high damaging pp skill with your choice hunter weapon.

I've used a similar tactic as a force and was able to kill Voldragon in 7 minutes for Koffy's desert unlock quest.

Haseokun
Aug 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
I find his Fireball hard to dodge. I'm referring to the one he charges up. Even locked onto the tail and underneath it spam trying to break it while he's charging up the fireball doesn't get me out of the way of it. Once in awhile this works, but not usually. This Fireball still one shots me at lv32 with a triple set of Vol Soul Units. Each of these units has React I and Vol Soul on it and an "a" in the Unit name. I've been attempting Free Caves Hard Mode alone and I noticed that when you "return to campship" on Hard Modes your team instantly fails the mission. This is a huge difference between Hard Mode and Normal Mode and has caused me to put off even touching the Training V quests until I'm lv40. The only way I can think of to survive the charged up Spirit Bomb/Fireball other then getting lucky and dodging it with perfect timing despite the seriously flawed camera, which has a 75% fail 25% success rate is to wear decent Tech Units as a Hunter. I haven't tested this yet, but it's been advised to me by friends who say that if I "know I'm going to have to eat the Fireball" to switch to Tech Units as soon as be begins to charge up. I'm trying to complete Wired Lance Training V, Sword Training V, and Partizan Training V, Partizan being the easiest I'm sure.

Gama
Aug 25, 2012, 10:20 AM
break tail, go for the horns.

repeat.

Jakosifer
Aug 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
I usually break the tail when he's in second or third form. Stays down longest in third form after tail break. Either way, best first Dragon in the series. :D

blace
Aug 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
Dodge and spam speed rain was how I beat it solo, never again will I attempt to fight it below level 20.

Blundy
Aug 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
when i tried he was being lame and spamming tail swipes and headbutts... so i just beat his legs to death. It was a long fight.

Lostbob117
Aug 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
Don't die biggest tip of all.

mandraxx
Mar 24, 2013, 07:24 AM
To be honest, Vol Dragon is tougher than Dark Ragne. I held off on doing the "solo Vol Dragon with Ozha" until I was in my 20s.

As you noted, the weak points are his face and tail, both of which are either dangerous or hard to hit. You can however attack from his side at his face, if that helps.
Sorry to revive an old thread, however ...

I just attempted ohza's quest "to the volcanic mountains," you know, the one where you have to s-rank with ozha only. You said there's no time limit, yet there is a clock. I read the instructions, and no time limit is indicated. Yet when I finished the quest, I didn't receive my check for completion.

Anybody else have this problem? There must be some time limit, otherwise, why would the clock go on? Nonetheless, there is nothing in the instructions that lists a time (and I checked all the other sites).

One site, cirncopedia, says you must beat this quest as a force. I was thinking that was a typo, but maybe not. I just want to unlock the quest for 5 skill points. Somebody who beat this quest lend a helping hand, I got S Rank with ~ 35 minutes.

What am I doing wrong?

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 24, 2013, 09:59 AM
Hi Fafnir,

For this particular Client Order, although it says "Only Ohza", you may fill up the additional slots with human players.

Also do note that you have no time limit. Take your time.

If you have any access to Poison, many players have proven for this to be extremely effective on Vol Dragon.

I hope I was some help.

Don't necro threads