PDA

View Full Version : Any news on global server or them being separated?

Jrgsubzero
Jul 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Am waiting on news detailing if the servers are going to be global like in the original pso or if they're going to be regional before I continue my JP character.

Does anyone know?

eharima
Jul 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
separate. i'll bet money on it

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
So far they have called them global, but my money is on Japanese Servers and Everyone Else Servers currently

Zari
Jul 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
They call it global but it isn't completely official what it will be yet. I'm hoping it is connected though.

BIG OLAF
Jul 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
It's separated. Edward (PSU/PSO2 GM) has already stated it, but without actually 'stating it.'

Zari
Jul 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
It's separated. Edward (PSU/PSO2 GM) has already stated it, but without actually 'stating it.'

Thing is...hasn't he been wrong before about major things?

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 01:37 PM

Thing is...hasn't he been wrong before about major things?

GM = Grunt that only knows a little bit more than the normal player due to having to deal with technical questions that a player might have when they are having problems.

A GM would have no info regarding how the system is set up until the decision was already made and most of us already knew about it.

r00tabaga
Jul 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't go on what Edward says. Officially as of now, SEGA is promoting Global Servers. Stay tuned.

Yakatsugi
Jul 12, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm betting that it's gonna be JP server that we already have and a single "everyone else server". Let's be realistic about how much is going into maintaining the server...... there's really no reason to have 3 server or more, One is more than enough, the 2nd is just SEGA trying to appease the fans and make a profit, having a 3rd server would be counterproductive.

ScottyMango
Jul 12, 2012, 01:39 PM
I really, really hope they're global, but all this sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Immovable One
Jul 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
Wait, where and when did Sega say it's "Global Server"?

Jrgsubzero
Jul 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
I wish and hope for them to be global too, not just because it gives me an excuse to keep playing and not be 'wiped' but also because it'd be really odd for there to be a JP server and then a Global-but-not-JP server.

RedRaz0r
Jul 12, 2012, 01:45 PM
I'm betting that it's gonna be JP server that we already have and a single "everyone else server". Let's be realistic about how much is going into maintaining the server...... there's really no reason to have 3 server or more, One is more than enough, the 2nd is just SEGA trying to appease the fans and make a profit, having a 3rd server would be counterproductive.

You do realize that they are currently hosting 10 servers, right? (counting ship servers. If you want to count the other servers that also partake in making the game run, it's probably closer to 15.)

jooozek
Jul 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
If you don't want to burn yourself and generally want to play on the NA/EU servers let off the hope that you will be able to transfer your character to the NA/EU version. The chance for the NA/EU to not be behind the JP version is smaller than the NA/EU being up to date with the JP version. Remember, they are going F2P so they want to steadily release content to get people hooked on and have them stay, especially when it comes to AC scratch content.
I'd actually hate if the servers were shared in the sense that you can migrate your character (that service is coming eventually) - I mean, what would stop people from bringing over billions of meseta to mess around with the economy?

Thermalwolf
I don't see a reason why not to go global. (If you say hackers you're getting slapped realllllll harrrrrrd.) None the less my guess is a PSO style setup. If they are promoting Global then that is almost for sure there intent as that would be "false advertising".

Also to OP, why not continue your character? If we are on two completely different servers there still no reason not to play the JP considering they will get the best support and content updates. Not to mention in PSO it's kind of lazy not to wanna level another character as that is like, more then half the point of the game and fun of it lol

Yakatsugi
You do realize that they are currently hosting 10 servers, right? (counting ship servers. If you want to count the other servers that also partake in making the game run, it's probably closer to 15.)

I did not. So what everyone was saying was...... JP client, they add more server/option to change interface language to English, and call that global server?

RedRaz0r
Jul 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
I did not. So what everyone was saying was...... JP client, they add more server/option to change interface language to English, and call that global server?

Precisely. There's already a language select option in the JP Client, with JP being the only option. However, this could just be for the US/EU release, to change between English and European languages.

Thermalwolf
Jul 12, 2012, 01:49 PM

Makes sense. That would actually be an extremely cost affective setup. Update the language packs and open a server that US/EU players can populate. Best option available if Sega wants money, which they do :)

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 01:52 PM

If the majority of players are happy with the latency as it is now there is no reason to invest in local servers. I'm literally just about exactly on the other side of the planet and I have no lag problem so I don't see any reason for them.

All i can see them doing is possibly adding 5 to 10 more ships onto the current list if they are following through with doing things more in line with what their statements were a few weeks ago when they started messing with their corporate structure.

Also it seems that the servers aren't divided up and structured as most of us are probably thinking of them. The blocks are the servers as we would think of them and they can be added and moved around which is really kinda interesting. Since this is the case they may also opt to not add new ships, but just add more blocks on each ship.

bloodflowers
Jul 12, 2012, 01:52 PM
Snowballs chance in hell of being global.

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
It'd be funny if they patched in a language select but they made it so it is "dialects of japanese" I'd laugh my ass off at that one ^.^

AnnabellaRenee87
Jul 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
I'll just repeat what I said last time. If they are separate I'm sticking with the JPN servers, if they are global would be more inclined to move over to the ENG version.

I mean the first PSO was global why change it?

Thermalwolf
Jul 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
It'd be funny if they patched in a language select but they made it so it is "dialects of japanese" I'd laugh my ass off at that one ^.^

Ide honestly like that, then I atleast know Sega of US hasn't touched it's filthy hands on this beauty ^^;

Metalsnake27
Jul 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
I actually wouldn't mind either....

Just as long as we are getting a localized version.

Thermalwolf
Jul 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
If the majority of players are happy with the latency as it is now there is no reason to invest in local servers. I'm literally just about exactly on the other side of the planet and I have no lag problem so I don't see any reason for them.

All i can see them doing is possibly adding 5 to 10 more ships onto the current list if they are following through with doing things more in line with what their statements were a few weeks ago when they started messing with their corporate structure.

Also it seems that the servers aren't divided up and structured as most of us are probably thinking of them. The blocks are the servers as we would think of them and they can be added and moved around which is really kinda interesting. Since this is the case they may also opt to not add new ships, but just add more blocks on each ship.

My guess is this. Each Ship is a server rack. Within that rack are 40 seperate server blades or something of the sort, each blade being block. Or they could be doing virtual servers for the blocks, which is honestly probably what it is.

r00tabaga
Jul 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
Wait, where and when did Sega say it's "Global Server"?

Back in April during PSO2's announcement trailer.

Snitch
Jul 12, 2012, 02:01 PM
I am wishing upon a star for Global servers. Easier for everyone.. It worked in pso1 , final fantasy xi ( and is still going strong ), Final Fantasy xiv ( trying to get strong , lol )...

If not Global , I will stick to JP servers. I will not be put aside like I felt on PSU EU/NA servers. And I was on both the PS2/PC and 360.... Never again I say!!

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
I am wishing upon a star for Global servers. Easier for everyone.. It worked in pso1 , final fantasy xi ( and is still going strong ), Final Fantasy xiv ( trying to get strong , lol )...

If not Global , I will stick to JP servers. I will not be put aside like I felt on PSU EU/NA servers. And I was on both the PS2/PC and 360.... Never again I say!!

Ummm I'm not 100% certain i am remembering correctly, but wasnt the reason that PSO was eventually split is because it didn't work with v1&v2?

AnnabellaRenee87
Jul 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
Ummm I'm not 100% certain i am remembering correctly, but wasnt the reason that PSO was eventually split is because it didn't work with v1&v2?

v1 and v2 could play together on the DC, I remember that well. I got v2 for the added security from PKers.

Yakatsugi
Jul 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Well I'm not really concerned. I'm gonna drop gaming in a month when school starts, so that's as far as my story with PSO2 or any game goes for that matter.

I don't have any latency issues either, even though the server is in Japan, but maybe it's cause i live on the West Coast?

Ryo
Jul 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'll reiterate what I said the first time this was asked:

PSO (not PSU) was always designed to be a global game. I don't think SEGA will separate the servers, especially considering that there are separate ships and no way to hop between them currently.

That would make no sense, and more importantly, it'd take away from the spirit of PSO, which was to have a global community hunting together.

BIG OLAF
Jul 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
A GM would have no info regarding how the system is set up until the decision was already made and most of us already knew about it.

Yes, he would. He's a PR guy. He tells us what his boss(es) tell him to tell us. Do I need to dig up the post Edward made regarding the future "content gap" between the JP and EN PSO2 release, and how the two versions "weren't made to be released at the same time"?

It's a (almost) fact, jack.

CapitalG
Jul 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
I remember the teasers and info come out saying "Global Support". What that actually means though is still a little of a mystery. Are they saying that they'll support separate releases to multiple regions, or is it going to be one big happy worldwide server with language options? We'll have to wait until they give us a definitive answer.

I think, though, since the release is so far out for NA/EU that we are getting our own client. It's not going to stop me from playing on both of them. What else would be taking them so long? I doubt it's translation, because aren't there partial files for different languages already? Possibly voice work? Could be they're going to add VAs in other languages, that could take a good chunk of time. Maybe it has to do with nailing down a decent cash system, so that everyone will want to use it. We just gotta wait it out and see.

Zari
Jul 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
Yes, he would. He's a PR guy. He tells us what his boss(es) tell him to tell us. Do I need to dig up the post Edward made regarding the future "content gap" between the JP and EN PSO2 release, and how the two versions "weren't made to be released at the same time"?

I will still never believe Edwards word on major things that are not yet confirmed, as he really does not know too much more than we do on these kinds of things.

GrieverXVII
Jul 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
I was thinking seperated servers too until i realized what is the point of having a language select in the options. But nothings certain yet so i guess we'll just have to wait and see. Either or it doesn't really matter to me. Maybe sega hasnt had the best track record with this stuff but look at PSO2 as a chance to start new, if it strikes big in NA and is a huge money maker for them, it'd prob be in their best interest to take care of its health and community.

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 02:38 PM

No he's not a "PR" guy. That is not what a GM does.
A GM is simply a grunt level employee that uses a special app to solve simple problems that a player may run into, Monitors the game from within, plays host to events, and really the term host is quite apt. Think of what a hostess does at a restaurant. That is what a GM is pretty much. They don't know anything more than what they need to to server minor tech issues and how to report problems for other people to handle. They also might know event details sooner or certain additions sooner because they need to be briefed about them, but that info is also known only briefly before the player base knows it.

Something like whether a server is global or not. They'd not have any clue.

BIG OLAF
Jul 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
A GM is simply a grunt level employee that uses a special app to solve simple problems that a player may run into, Monitors the game from within, plays host to events, and really the term host is quite apt. Think of what a hostess does at a restaurant. That is what a GM is pretty much. They don't know anything more than what they need to to server minor tech issues and how to report problems for other people to handle. They also might know event details sooner or certain additions sooner because they need to be briefed about them, but that info is also known only briefly before the player base knows it.

Sure thing, pal. We'll see who's right when the time comes. The servers will be separated, this I can guarantee.

GrieverXVII
Jul 12, 2012, 02:43 PM

Although i respect your opinion and tbh are on neither side of this debate. I feel like the opinion you expressed in this quote is as assumptuous as the other guy. Your definition of a GM may be completely difft than how SEGA defines their GM's job description. Unless you work within sega and can say this is fact...i dont belive anyone should be talking on behalf of sega and how they run their own company :/ juss sayin.

Nu Lo Yin
Jul 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
It doesnt matter to me, I am staying on Japan servers anyways after NA release

Snitch
Jul 12, 2012, 02:52 PM

Ver made u go to level 200, ver 1 was level 100. And it was better protected against pk'ers. Have em both in my shelf , and nothing beats pulling out ver 2 and grind some runs with my hunter :D ( well doing it online does, but so much fuzz to get it online nowadays, espc if u only got the 33.3kb modem.. and no phone line in my house these days, mobile is the future :P And broadband adapter = expencive if u find one :P )

We just keep our fingers crossed for global :D

RocSage
Jul 12, 2012, 02:56 PM
Sure thing, pal. We'll see who's right when the time comes. The servers will be separated, this I can guarantee.

Although i respect your opinion and tbh are on neither side of this debate. I feel like the opinion you expressed in this quote is as assumptuous as the other guy. Your definition of a GM may be completely difft than how SEGA defines their GM's job description. Unless you work within sega and can say this is fact...i dont belive anyone should be talking on behalf of sega and how they run their own company :/ juss sayin.

GM is a job description. I am not speaking on behalf of "SEGA" I am telling you that is what a GM is. Period. This is true everywhere in the game industry. Anyone that is even remotely interested in Game design and all that will tell you the same thing, all be it not in the exact same words. That is what they will tell you a GM is.

GMs won't necessarily tell you this, because GMs are at that level where they have power, but don't have to do much, and they have to deal with people who we'd all rather not have to deal with most of the time. Because of this some of them like to have an ego trip and pretend to be more important than they are. And then there is also the fact that because people aren't exactly clued in that GMs aren't developers they'll often place more weight on what a GM says than they should because they don't know any better.

Thermalwolf
Jul 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
As much as I trust Olaf, I really feel you might be wrong. There's more evidence pointin to global servers then segregation.

Not to mention GM's are not all in knowledge books and I can point out one too many times a GM has been wrong, especially in these circumstances, BUT! None the less a GM is going to be more informed on upcoming plans then the public. Also Edward has been wrong a little more then he needed to be which points to the theory that he hears something when he's at work, then trips out about it. Kind of like the Starbucks not supporting the US military thing. Word of mouth is terrible source of info, Sega is the only source we should be follwing, not a GM who can't keep his mouth shut. Sorry Olaf, but I think you're gonna be wrong, but if you're right, you will have earned a big "Told you So".

Also unless he is working in Sega of Japan in there direct offices, he has no way of knowing anymore then we are. Sega is not gonna tell GM's there plans, it has nothing to do with there line of work. He's hearing rumors, just like us, nothing more.

Vintasticvin
Jul 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
As much as I trust Olaf, I really feel you might be wrong. There's more evidence pointin to global servers then segregation.

Not to mention GM's are not all in knowledge books and I can point out one too many times a GM has been wrong, especially in these circumstances, BUT! None the less a GM is going to be more informed on upcoming plans then the public. Also Edward has been wrong a little more then he needed to be which points to the theory that he hears something when he's at work, then trips out about it. Kind of like the Starbucks not supporting the US military thing. Word of mouth is terrible source of info, Sega is the only source we should be follwing, not a GM who can't keep his mouth shut. Sorry Olaf, but I think you're gonna be wrong, but if you're right, you will have earned a big "Told you So".

Also unless he is working in Sega of Japan in there direct offices, he has no way of knowing anymore then we are. Sega is not gonna tell GM's there plans, it has nothing to do with there line of work. He's hearing rumors, just like us, nothing more.

Le gasp, did I just read someone sticking up for Ed?!

Thermalwolf
Jul 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
Le gasp, did I just read someone sticking up for Ed?!

Helllllll no! I'm just saying a GM can be right sometimes, but Ed? No, I certainly don't trust Ed's word for a second.

Ryo
Jul 12, 2012, 05:14 PM
I do have to say, I have two friends who are GMs for two games from two different companies, and they don't typically know very much about what's going on development-wise.

They usually find out about major things a week or two in advance of the general public, from what they tell me.

Nu Lo Yin
Jul 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
I dont want to get into what type of server its going to be, but I will say in most companies, a GM is not PR. Those are two different departments. I dont know how SEGA does it though

GrieverXVII
Jul 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
GM is a job description. I am not speaking on behalf of "SEGA" I am telling you that is what a GM is. Period. This is true everywhere in the game industry. Anyone that is even remotely interested in Game design and all that will tell you the same thing, all be it not in the exact same words. That is what they will tell you a GM is.

GMs won't necessarily tell you this, because GMs are at that level where they have power, but don't have to do much, and they have to deal with people who we'd all rather not have to deal with most of the time. Because of this some of them like to have an ego trip and pretend to be more important than they are. And then there is also the fact that because people aren't exactly clued in that GMs aren't developers they'll often place more weight on what a GM says than they should because they don't know any better.

I understand what your saying, and im not accussing you otherwise...but what im saying is every game company that hires GM's may handle their GM's differently...all im getting at is, stop sounding like your the CEO of Sega...cuz your not. This quote kinda just proves you love to speak on behalf of others...

Edit:
I work within a company under my supervisor...he is a supervisor with a job description to, he does things beyond his role and is told things that supervisors usually aren't told...so that right there breaks your point. What makes you think these companies have to abide by these rules your stating? They dont. But thats beyond the subject, just stop speaking as if you know how every company is run. And we'll get along just fine :)

Mike
Jul 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Since I don't see it anywhere in the thread, I'll toss this link out from Shogai (http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2012/07/120710b.html). When asked about servers for any other regions, Sakai replied that various regions would be seperated. If you wish to take this with salt, then please do.

r00tabaga
Jul 12, 2012, 08:20 PM
I think we'll end up with separate servers but I'm positive that originally they were going global and they can't handle us cheaters. Lol

Elmera
Jul 12, 2012, 11:37 PM
Keep is global just like PSO, or that's lame, I'll just play the japan one because the western one won't last, just like the past games

Garnet_Moon
Jul 12, 2012, 11:43 PM
Since I don't see it anywhere in the thread, I'll toss this link out from Shogai (http://www.g-heaven.net/topics/2012/07/120710b.html). When asked about servers for any other regions, Sakai replied that various regions would be seperated. If you wish to take this with salt, then please do.
So Global in a same-region sense. Welp.

ashley50
Jul 12, 2012, 11:43 PM
Separate, its better that way.

Uncle_bob
Jul 12, 2012, 11:55 PM
JP onry server for JP

Internationar server for rest of prayer (6+ months behind)

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 12:42 AM
My bet's on Japanese having their servers, and us the wicked outside world having ours. :p

Anon_Fire
Jul 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
Does that mean that the "Global Support" from the teaser trailer was a lie? :(

Miyoko
Jul 13, 2012, 01:19 AM
If they're not going to give us real global servers with equal timed updates, I don't see why they should bother giving us anything at all. :l It's almost cruel to do so. Give us a server then taunt us with content we'll never get.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 13, 2012, 01:24 AM
If they're not going to give us real global servers with equal timed updates, I don't see why they should bother giving us anything at all. :l It's almost cruel to do so. Give us a server then taunt us with content we'll never get.

Unless SoA really pulls off a miracle, we might see a repeat of PSU. Edward saying they're focusing on the content gap makes me feel a little better, but....

I dunno. Instead of spreading doom, I'm going to enjoy the JP version. When the EN version comes out, I'll try it, and make my decision. I suggest everyone else does the same.

Miyoko
Jul 13, 2012, 01:31 AM
Unless SoA really pulls off a miracle, we might see a repeat of PSU. Edward saying they're focusing on the content gap makes me feel a little better, but....

I dunno. Instead of spreading doom, I'm going to enjoy the JP version. When the EN version comes out, I'll try it, and make my decision. I suggest everyone else does the same.

Yep, that's my plan too, and a good one at that. Just wait and see. It's not like you're going to be stuck on one server over the other. And you're right -- The fact that they acknowledge the content gap takes some balls. It's practically admitting they fucked up, and companies don't like to do that often! Let's hope it's a good sign.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 13, 2012, 01:51 AM
Yep, that's my plan too, and a good one at that. Just wait and see. It's not like you're going to be stuck on one server over the other. And you're right -- The fact that they acknowledge the content gap takes some balls. It's practically admitting they fucked up, and companies don't like to do that often! Let's hope it's a good sign.

Seriously - It'd be especially funny if after all this talk of it tanking, if they pull out all the stops and do a magnificent job of it. Not that anyone would complain, at that point. I bet we'd all be happy they were proven wrong.