PDA

View Full Version : Bosses/Why do you play?

Yakatsugi
Jul 12, 2012, 01:58 PM
So when I found out that PSO2 doesn't have PVP, my face was like this :-(

Then I found out after I googled(I've played PSO,PSP, but I never really got >FAR< so I don't really know what the core gameplay of the franchise os about -_-) for some info that PS games focuses on co-op and fighting against the "environment"(yeah I don't really know another word to use, lmao) And then I realized that Monster Hunter didn't have PVP, but it was really fun. Fighting big badass monsters that were REALLY challenging, and playing with others was a plus, via x-link kai or AHP.

Anyways to the point:

1)How many bosses are there? Are they challenging?
^Pretty much the only thing I'm looking forward to, hope they add more bosses.
2)For what reason do you play PSO2?
^To try out a new game, play a Japanese game, hang out with the Japanese? LOL.

Thermalwolf
Jul 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
PSO Ver. 2 had battle mode but it wasn't that great if you ask me but I'm sure there are others who found much joy in it.

PSO2 is a PvE game. There really is no need for PvP. It's a social game :) But I'm sure they will add in a battle mode, just give it time.

Yakatsugi
Jul 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
I know it's a PvE, could you give me examples though?

Haven't gone far into the game myself, lvl 6. Just want to know what I should expect before I go on further.

xhrit
Jul 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
PSO2 is a PvE game. There really is no need for PvP. It's a social game :) But I'm sure they will add in a battle mode, just give it time.

I need pvp to keep me interested in a game after I clear the pve content.

ScottyMango
Jul 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
PvP doesn't really work in PSO2 because of how different the classes are. For example, a ranger would almost always beat a hunter, because a ranger can shoot the hell out of them before they even get close.

It's all about using your differences to work together.

As of the 17th, there will be about.. 9 bosses I think? They can be quite difficult, depending on your level. Again, it's a team based game, so that all depends on who you're playing with.

Yakatsugi
Jul 12, 2012, 02:04 PM
^This(2nd post up lmao), I get the impression that PSO is different from other MMO. But it's just a vague feeling/assumption with no backing, that's why I'm asking just what said PvE is actually about. I know what PvE means, Player VS environment, you fight against the computer, co-op is thrown in, you play and have fun with friends. Is that all? What else is there?

edit: You think the upcoming patch's gonna be big?

Zipzo
Jul 12, 2012, 02:06 PM
PvP doesn't really work in PSO2 because of how different the classes are. For example, a ranger would almost always beat a hunter, because a ranger can shoot the hell out of them before they even get close.

It's all about using your differences to work together.

As of the 17th, there will be about.. 9 bosses I think? They can be quite difficult, depending on your level. Again, it's a team based game, so that all depends on who you're playing with.Depends. HUmars were by far the best and most often used class in PvP in PSO...

ScottyMango
Jul 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
Last time I checked, if you tried to bring a HUmar into a battle in PSO, you would immediately get Grantz spammed from the next room over.

The Walrus
Jul 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
lolpsopvp

Anywoo the bosses aren't exactly hard but I personally find them all to be fun to battle. As for why I play it's cause I'm addicted man :(

Zipzo
Jul 12, 2012, 02:38 PM
Last time I checked, if you tried to bring a HUmar into a battle in PSO, you would immediately get Grantz spammed from the next room over.

Anybody who was anybody in PvP only did B-6.

You couldn't use grants in B-6.

ScottyMango
Jul 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
Why does anyone play any game? It's because it's fun.

PSO2 specifically, is ridiculously fun.

Crysteon
Jul 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
As for the bosses, no, none of them are challenging except the Rockbear, which is probably one of the most difficult fights in the series.

I hope that's a big fat sarcasm...

Probably, the most challenging bosses out there so far are the Snow beasts (Banshee and Bantha) together. Dealing with one at the time is cake, but with both of them around the battle might turn a bit annoying.

Dan Maku
Jul 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
1. By my count, not counting mini bosses, there are five bosses: Rockbears from the Forest, the Catterkiller Dragons and Vol Dragon in the Caves, the Sandworm in the Desert, and Dark Ragne in the Emergency City mission. They can be pretty tough (especially Dark Ragne; it chews up and spits out new players like toilet paper).

2. I, along with the friends I party up with, were big fans of the original PSO and the Phantasy Star series in general (one such friend eats, sleeps, and breathes PSIV). We were excited that a direct sequel was in the works and we jumped on that shit the first chance we got. :3

Vylera
Jul 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
5 minutes straight of PSE burst in city mission with elites spawning one right after the other.

Too much fun.

Crysteon
Jul 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, Hunter kills them really easy too, but...you know...close combat can get tight at times when you focus on a single enemy and you have a more aggresive one behind you.

The Walrus
Jul 12, 2012, 03:46 PM
1. By my count, not counting mini bosses, there are five bosses: Rockbears from the Forest, the Catterkiller Dragons and Vol Dragon in the Caves, the Sandworm in the Desert, and Dark Ragne in the Emergency City mission. They can be pretty tough (especially Dark Ragne; it chews up and spits out new players like toilet paper).

Ragne, Vol and the Panthers are the only "real" bosses. Everything is pretty much a miniboss since it alters how many there are based on the number of players at least that's how I determine it.

Zorafim
Jul 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Bosses are my favorite parts of the game. I always end up with the boss's attention, so I'm always on the defense. Having to read the boss and dodge his attacks as a hunter is amazingly fun. Kiting with a hunter or force is also a blast.

At lv6, you should have enough to start doing quests to unlock rockbear. That's when you really realize how the game is played. The hardest boss I've done is either dragon, or mammoth. I've heard the panther is tough too, though. And slinky's always given me troubles. Ironically enough though, the dark bosses are always easy. Especially antlion. He's probably easier than rockbear.

Oh, and PvP in PS games are usually garbage. It's just not designed for that.

The Walrus
Jul 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
Gwanahda is the ultimate joke. Rockbear actually requires slight amounts of good reaction timing to be all up in his grill constantly.

Hrith
Jul 12, 2012, 05:10 PM
The joke about PSO2 bosses is that they only take long to kill because of the exaggerated amounts of time they stay in 'can't touch this' states, mainly burrowing bosses (got I hate that, it kills the gameplay for me), but also the Rockbear 80-second long jumping attack, the Snow beasts jumping to and fro at the speed of sound from one side of the area to the other until you actually stop caring about landing a hit in, etc.

oifjustus
Jul 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
Hey pso battle mode had its competitive players :) certain modes took skill.

Scarlet_Rain
Jul 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
why do i play? for the lolis.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
I played PSO on the Dreamcast because it was a spur of the moment type thing. I then got it on Gamecube, and I was bound and determined to finish ANY game I bought at that period in my life... and as you know, the way memorycards worked and certain online elements could completely ruin your progress. I played PSU for the swag and dance, and WHITE BEAST spam.

I now currently play PSO2 for the swag and dance, and CODE AVOIDCHANGEOVERDUELPROTECTONARRESTONEMOA.

Omisan
Jul 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
The joke about PSO2 bosses is that they only take long to kill because of the exaggerated amounts of time they stay in 'can't touch this' states, mainly burrowing bosses (got I hate that, it kills the gameplay for me), but also the Rockbear 80-second long jumping attack, the Snow beasts jumping to and fro at the speed of sound from one side of the area to the other until you actually stop caring about landing a hit in, etc.

Dont they burrow if ur just running away and not standing ur ground. Like strafe around it instead of running away right when it burrows so that u have major distance between it.

If it is doing something over and over, you are doing something over and over. Dive under the rock bear jump, he stops.

Hrith
Jul 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
Nope. Vol Dragon, Caterdran and Gwanaada all burrow just as much no matter how you play.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
the only two things i really like about pso2 in terms of fighting is

pse bursts/cross bursts

panther boss

but you don't fight panther boss until lvl 30, and pse bursts/cross bursts don't happen unless you're playing in a multiparty where at least 80% of the players know what they're doing. (when bursts happen a bunch of enemies spawn and drop rate increases, it's awesome, but so far i've only experienced like maybe 12, in roughly ~260 hours of gameplay. which is really sad, because this game is pretty focused around bursting, but so many new players don't grasp the concept and run off on their own)

unfortunately i'd say 80% of the time i spend in game though is going to be grinding, and grinding is pretty boring. so i just make use of my second monitor while i grind and watch tv shows or something simultaneously.

Zyrusticae
Jul 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
Nope. Vol Dragon, Caterdran and Gwanaada all burrow just as much no matter how you play.
I know for a fact that Caterdran NEVER burrows if you don't move outside of his attack range.

The others, however, yes, they do like to burrow a lot just to make you angry.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
I know for a fact that Caterdran NEVER burrows if you don't move outside of his attack range.

The others, however, yes, they do like to burrow a lot just to make you angry.

yeah accordian dragon will keep trying to slap you with his jiggly body if you're his target and within range.

Macman
Jul 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
Vol Dragon seems to burrow based on how much damage you're doing to it. I find an overlevelled party can get him to dive underground a lot more often.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
Vol Dragon seems to burrow based on how much damage you're doing to it. I find an overlevelled party can get him to dive underground a lot more often.

i think i can agree with this

mctastee
Jul 13, 2012, 06:40 PM
What if I told you that I play because it's fun?

chiramu
Jul 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
I actually have a fun time playing PSO2, the battle system is way better than the normal click target and button spam. I personally love being able to strafe around and fight :).

jmanx
Jul 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
PSO Ver. 2 had battle mode but it wasn't that great if you ask me but I'm sure there are others who found much joy in it.

PSO battle mode shines though offline multiplayer and the battle modes they wre fun w2

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 10:19 PM
Friendly advice answer:
If you played PSO for PVP, you're playing the wrong game. No seriously. There are better fixes for your competitive urges. There's MOBA games, there's shooters, there's also MMOs with actual implementations of PVP rather than battle mode.

Trollface answer:
If I were to guess, and to be a little presumptuous and rude, you just want a goof PVP mode because you can't handle actual PVP.

Slightly more serious answer:
PVP wasn't outlined in the 2012 roadmap. There is that notion however, that to "satisfy" the South Korean market, and we know how much the South Koreans love their PVP, so there might still be a chance they'll put something in. Heck, even properly balance this time around.

recursive
Jul 25, 2012, 02:59 PM
PVP can definitely work in this game, as it does play a lot like Dragon Nest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8waP_B7Uw

Just need to balance it, and it'd be fine.

Zipzo
Jul 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
PVP can definitely work in this game, as it does play a lot like Dragon Nest

Dragon Nest SEA Ladder PVP - Acrobat Lv 24 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8waP_B7Uw)

Just need to balance it, and it'd be fine.There's a huge inherent difference between PSO2 and Dragon Nest/Vindictus.

Neither of those games have passive lock on. In PSO2 you have a target reticle that decides where your abilities fly. In DN you have to use your mouse to aim abilities directly like an FPS.

If there is PVP it will not be anything like DN, dodging itself would be utterly useless given lock on mechanics in PSO2.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
when you get lv 10 dodge, the invincibility frames for dodge are actually pretty noticeable, so dodge wouldn't be useless.

but it'd be damn near useless i suppose at a low lvl, considering rafoie is instant, and so is one point for rangers.

Mystil
Jul 25, 2012, 04:26 PM

Nobody liked FOs in battle mode.

Angelo
Jul 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
Just be patient, I'm sure PvP is coming.