PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 My two cents following the hack attack

Dan Maku
Jul 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
Me and a friend were discussing the hacking the other day. This is what we thought:

We have no right to play this game: it is a privilege that SoJ has granted us that they didn't have any obligation to. If they wanted, SoJ could've implemented countermeasures to prevent any player outside of Japan from participating in this game (the original ToS did say only players in Japan were allowed to play), and it's a small miracle that they haven't caved into pressure from the Japanese playerbase to ban all western players from playing.

That they have only banned about 75 players (and counting, as there are surely more cheaters and hackers around) is yet another miracle, because the actions of a selfish few have reflected poorly on every western player. The Japanese playerbase already believes us to hack and cheat in games for shits and giggles, which is the major reason why they don't want us to play. The hackers have given their beliefs more validity.

Furthermore, it matters not what the hackers claimed they were trying to accomplish. If they wished to send a message to Sega, there was a variety of ways to do it. Hacking a game and making everyone, including the people you claim to wish to help, suffer, is about the worst way to go about this. In this respect, the hackers' "justification" is no better than that of terrorists: their words are hollow in comparison to the message their actions broadcast.

Those are my thoughts.

IAmSecretSpy
Jul 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
How many threads are we going to devote to little kiddies using Cheat Engine?

Leave it be and go on with life, giving these 'Hackers' Attention is all they want and desire.

AlMcFly
Jul 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
Me and a friend were discussing the hacking the other day. This is what we thought:

We have no right to play this game: it is a privilege that SoJ has granted us that they didn't have any obligation to. If they wanted, SoJ could've implemented countermeasures to prevent any player outside of Japan from participating in this game (the original ToS did say only players in Japan were allowed to play), and it's a small miracle that they haven't caved into pressure from the Japanese playerbase to ban all western players from playing.

That they have only banned about 75 players (and counting, as there are surely more cheaters and hackers around) is yet another miracle, because the actions of a selfish few have reflected poorly on every western player. The Japanese playerbase already believes us to hack and cheat in games for shits and giggles, which is the major reason why they don't want us to play. The hackers have given their beliefs more validity.

Furthermore, it matters not what the hackers claimed they were trying to accomplish. If they wished to send a message to Sega, there was a variety of ways to do it. Hacking a game and making everyone, including the people you claim to wish to help, suffer, is about the worst way to go about this. In this respect, the hackers' "justification" is no better than that of terrorists: their words are hollow in comparison to the message their actions broadcast.

Those are my thoughts.

Does this entire passage assume that the 75 malicious players were all Western? I doubt even MOST were Western players. They weren't even all hackers (gold selling and whatnot). It's generally a bad thing to make assumptions about vague information.

Dan Maku
Jul 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
How many threads are we going to devote to little kiddies using Cheat Engine?

Leave it be and go on with life, giving these 'Hackers' Attention is all they want and desire.

'Tis the last I'll discuss them. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Yexes
Jul 12, 2012, 05:40 PM
I can guarantee you that Japanese hack for shits and giggles and some Japanese players were banned, too.

sugarFO
Jul 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
I don't think it was just Americans. It happened on almost every ship.

Blizz3112
Jul 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
So you assume Japan doesn't have hackers? Its a bit stereotypical to think it all came from the west or to think all Japanese people think we are all hackers...

Metalsnake27
Jul 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
He has a point.

Sega could do something right now to stop us from playing, so we are lucky they even are still letting us play the game.

I don't understand what those people were thinking..... if stuff liek that continues, they might just say "Ok that's it, Japanese only"

They will most likely beleive it was the fault of the American players.

But who knows, some Japanese players could also be hacking.

AlMcFly
Jul 12, 2012, 05:47 PM
He has a point.

Sega could do something right now to stop us from playing, so we are lucky they even are still letting us play the game.

I don't understand what those people were thinking..... if stuff liek that continues, they might just say "Ok that's it, Japanese only"

But who knows, some Japanese players could also be hacking.

It is almost 100% certain that there are Japanese players hacking. To think otherwise would be naive not to mention "Western-centric.".

Metalsnake27
Jul 12, 2012, 05:49 PM
It is almost 100% certain that there are Japanese players hacking. To think otherwise would be naive.

Yeah most likely, but I wouldnt be surprized if they are convinced that its JUST us who are doing it, or at least the majority of it.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 12, 2012, 05:50 PM
My two cents:

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/vVk0T.gif[/spoiler-box]

DragonForce
Jul 12, 2012, 05:52 PM
Anybody who says "we're so lucky that sega allows us to play" sound like ass kissers. You should be saying "sega's lucky that we put up through all of their bullshit that so that they could make another game".

xBladeM6x
Jul 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm getting really tired of people bending over, and taking this cultural bullshit so nicely. People think it's "A-Okay Buddy Boy" to ban other players & paying customers in the world from accessing their game server because... they don't have the same looks, or residential status? That's called racism, and being bigoted buddy. It's not okay, and I surely don't feel "privileged" to play on their server. I feel like I'm a paying customer, they're a business and they'll take my fucking money because money talks. There should be no observation past my money on their part, and even less observation on my nationality or race.

Also, hackers that were banned were Japanese, too. This whole notion that the only people who were hacking were "Western" is complete bull. The difference between the western hackers and the Japanese ones, are that the western ones are flaunting their shit, acting like if they press SEGA into submission, they'll get what they want for overseas releases. Too bad they're a multi-million dollar company and aren't going to care about pathetic whining, or attempts to gain attention. Just don't forget that Japanese residents aren't God's among us lowly westerners, they can do shady things too.

Also, yes. I'm aware of how unpopular this comment will be, but I feel that some reasonable people will see what I'm seeing in this as well.

Xaeris
Jul 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
Also, hackers that were banned were Japanese, too.

Source? Not calling you a liar, I just hadn't heard this.

DreXxiN
Jul 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm getting really tired of people bending over, and taking this cultural bullshit so nicely. People think it's "A-Okay Buddy Boy" to ban other players & paying customers in the world from accessing their game server because... they don't have the same looks, or residential status? That's called racism, and being bigoted buddy. It's not okay, and I surely don't feel "privileged" to play on their server. I feel like I'm a paying customer, they're a business and they'll take my fucking money because money talks. There should be no observation past my money on their part, and even less observation on my nationality or race.

Also, hackers that were banned were Japanese, too. This whole notion that the only people who were hacking were "Western" is complete bull. The difference between the western hackers and the Japanese ones, are that the western ones are flaunting their shit, acting like if they press SEGA into submission, they'll get what they want for overseas releases. Too bad they're a multi-million dollar company and aren't going to care about pathetic whining, or attempts to gain attention. Just don't forget that Japanese residents aren't God's among us lowly westerners, they can do shady things too.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR OP: Don't take this comment as if I'm just singling you out, because I'm not. I just keep hearing this crock from a lot of western players, and it's getting really tired and old, really fast. Also, yes. I'm aware of how unpopular this comment will be, but I feel that some reasonable people will see what I'm seeing in this as well.

The truth will always be unpopular compared to sugar coating. Well said, props. People are way overzealous of Japanese culture and feel they can do no wrong and are the master race, and then try to follow in their footsteps of what they believe the predetermined behavior of all Japanese are, which apparently is categorized under one idolized behavior.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
Anybody who says "we're so lucky that sega allows us to play" sound like ass kissers. You should be saying "sega's lucky that we put up through all of their bullshit that so that they could make another game".

You said it, man. I get a little sick of the, "Ohhhh, we should be so grateful!" speech. Look, we get it. They could I.P. ban us. They could have just made it strictly for Japan from the start. They could have kept it to themselves and never even brought it to the States for localization next year.

Guess what though. They didn't. Let's stop talking about what they could do and talk about what they are doing. The facts are:

1. Sega of Japan's Terms of Service agreement states the service is for Japan use only

2. They have people from all over the world playing on their servers, despite this rule

3. We haven't been I.P. banned, despite this rule existing (of course they know we're logging in, so it's not like we're slipping under the radar)

4. Sega is taking action against hackers, regardless of nationality (yes, hackers come from many parts of the world)

5. Sega of Japan is making money off of foreigners buying AC

That's it. There is no, "they could" or "what if" scenarios. This is it right here in black and white.

I hate how some people seem to think we should just bend over and take it up the rear just because we're playing a game that states we shouldn't be playing it due to region restrictions. When someone got a new import arcade in the US that was for Japan only, do you think people walked into the arcade, talking amongst themselves, and said stuff like, "Ya know, we should be really grateful we can play this. This is for Japan only" ?

We know the rules, okay? Just shut up and play the game. If they decide to ban us at some point for all this crap, fine. Until then, just keep your brown nosing to yourself.

Good grief.

Dan Maku
Jul 12, 2012, 06:07 PM

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR OP: Don't take this comment as if I'm just singling you out, because I'm not. I just keep hearing this crock from a lot of western players, and it's getting really tired and old, really fast. Also, yes. I'm aware of how unpopular this comment will be, but I feel that some reasonable people will see what I'm seeing in this as well.

First, no offense taken. :3

Second, the game is free-to-play. You don't have to pay for anything if you don't want to.

Third, Sega has clearly laid out that everyone playing this game, Japanese, western, and otherwise, have the privilege to do so. It is not a right. They have laid out the rules, clear as crystal, for all to read (it's in a foreign language, sure, but that's what Google Translate is for), and if you violate those rules, your privilege to play the game will be revoked. Whether you paid money or not does not rank: you break the rules, you pay the price, period.

EvilMag
Jul 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
We get it you hate hackers. We don't need 5 threads that 10 pages long of people wishing they could chop these hackers' heads off FFS.

kp77
Jul 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
You said it, man. I get a little sick of the, "Ohhhh, we should be so grateful!" speech. Look, we get it. They could I.P. ban us. They could have just made it strictly for Japan from the start. They could have kept it to themselves and never even brought it to the States for localization next year.

Guess what though. They didn't. Let's stop talking about what they could do and talk about what they are doing. The facts are:

1. Sega of Japan's Terms of Service agreement states the service is for Japan use only

2. They have people from all over the world playing on their servers, despite this rule

3. We haven't been I.P. banned, despite this rule existing (of course they know we're logging in, so it's not like we're slipping under the radar)

4. Sega is taking action against hackers, regardless of nationality (yes, hackers come from many parts of the world)

5. Sega of Japan is making money off of foreigners buying AC

That's it. There is no, "they could" or "what if" scenarios. This is it right here in black and white.

I hate how some people seem to think we should just bend over and take it up the rear just because we're playing a game that states we shouldn't be playing it due to region restrictions. When someone got a new import arcade in the US that was for Japan only, do you think people walked into the arcade, talking amongst themselves, and said stuff like, "Ya know, we should be really grateful we can play this. This is for Japan only" ?

We know the rules, okay? Just shut up and play the game. If they decide to ban us at some point for all this crap, fine. Until then, just keep your brown nosing to yourself.

Good grief.

You can just un-install you know, no ones asking you to put up with the bullshit.

And nine times out of ten, anyone who tends to be over zealous, or discriminating against Japanese tend to either:

- Not understand/not make an active effort to understand Japanese culture
- Don't understand the language. (Not Google Translate or some Drama/Anime)

It's the same in any on-line community, Japanese just has a lot more cultural tones and tie ins.

Oh the line about paying customers?
What makes you think they can't leave you to dry?
(Since support is for Japan, only in Japanese)

Gardios
Jul 12, 2012, 06:40 PM

Didn't they remove that clause from CBT onward? I remember Mike saying that countless times.

Macman
Jul 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
Source? Not calling you a liar, I just hadn't heard this.
We haven't heard the otherwise either. They're not confirming anything about the accounts that were banned, and I doubt they ever will.

Watching this forum blow up sure is amusing, but it's starting to get a bit old.

xBladeM6x
Jul 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
And nine times out of ten, anyone who tends to be over zealous, or discriminating against Japanese tend to either:

- Not understand/not make an active effort to understand Japanese culture
- Don't understand the language. (Not Google Translate or some Drama/Anime)

While I agree most people have those views are typically for those reasons, I personally don't fit that bill. I do completely understand the culture, I just don't agree that it's right or just, to alienate entire parts of the world just because "you can". We're all humans first, residents of countries second. Frankly, that second one shouldn't matter, in any stretch of the imagination.