PDA

View Full Version : So I'm debating rerolling as a Ranger...

QueenVernice
Jul 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
and truthfully, I'm a little lost. I took a quick gander at the ranger skills tree discussion but I can't quite get an idea of where I should start off on my skill tree. I want to use launchers primarily.

Can I have a few pointers?

GreenArcher
Jul 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
Aim and shoot

Though the general consensus is weak bullet level 3 or level 6, rest into weak hit advances

ashley50
Jul 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
Aim and shoot

Yeah, that's pretty much it really.

Launchers, not into them much. Jellen shot is a launcher skill though.

kdrakari
Jul 12, 2012, 08:59 PM
Weak Shot is a very good skill, but cannot be used while a launcher is equipped. On the other hand, you're really limiting yourself if you try to go launcher-only.

Sirius-91
Jul 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
Weak Shot is a very good skill, but cannot be used while a launcher is equipped. On the other hand, you're really limiting yourself if you try to go launcher-only.

Damn straight.^^

But if you insist, have a low level rifle for weak bullet, everything else should be up to you.

The Walrus
Jul 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
You should at least use an AR for weak bullet tc

QueenVernice
Jul 12, 2012, 10:49 PM
Oh, I had no intention of only limiting myself to launcher. I just enjoy it. Good to know though! Thanks for the pointers.

Leyline
Jul 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
You enjoy launcher lol should be the opposite. Have you tried rifle play yet, a lot more entertaining than launcher.

Also when are they going to force reload after 3 shots, the infinite launcher has gone on long enough. I can't jump and shoot rifle infinite times.

Geistritter
Jul 12, 2012, 11:08 PM
Jellen shot is a launcher skill though.

It's also terrible, and you shouldn't get it. It only reduces enemy damage by 10%. And that's at level 10.

Anyway, Weak Hit Advance is your best general purpose damage dealing skill. Don't bother with R-Atk Up unless you need it to get another skill you want, at least not until the level cap is higher. ABL up is okay, but it's not something you should focus on by any stretch. Standing Snipe is up to you, but I wouldn't go for it until after you've gotten as much of Weak Hit Advance as you care to; the latter gives you more damage overall, albeit only to enemy weak points, which despite what some people may say, is not something you're going to do all the time, or are guaranteed to do.

Don't forget about free aim mode. It's useful in some circumstances.

See what you think of Gunslashes and Thrillsplosion. It's a good PA.

All I've got off the top of my head.

Dinosaur
Jul 12, 2012, 11:10 PM
and truthfully, I'm a little lost. I took a quick gander at the ranger skills tree discussion but I can't quite get an idea of where I should start off on my skill tree. I want to use launchers primarily.

Can I have a few pointers?

Skill build:
http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/ranger.html?01RA!IOI2dBJdGK8
note: max Weak Bullet first

MAG:
100 R-ATK / 50 R-DEF

Equipment:
Rappy Launcher is the strongest and most accessible rare Launcher, so you'll want that ASAP.
For Rifles, the only 9* rifle is the best rifle
9* ranged armor is dirt cheap and naturally adds +25HP & +3PP

Elemental recommendations:
Launcher - Fire, Lightning
Rifle - Ice

Hit weakpoints, win the game.

Macman
Jul 12, 2012, 11:15 PM
Panic Shot is useful for large groups of regular mobs with one or two dangerous targets. You can confuse the majority of them with 2 shots and stand a safe distance away and shoot while watching them beat each other up.

Oh, and it's a launcher skill.

Phantasma
Jul 12, 2012, 11:15 PM
Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'
I just had2ok?

Quatre52
Jul 12, 2012, 11:31 PM
Skill build:

MAG:
100 R-ATK / 50 R-DEF

Equipment:
Rappy Launcher is the strongest and most accessible rare Launcher, so you'll want that ASAP.

Rifle - Ice

Or...he could find the guns/equipment, and skills he prefers, as opposed to following exact instruction of others...

personally, I prefer rifles, a bit less power perhaps, but being able to quickly move while shooting is fun.

Weak bullet as its been said is a great place to start, but, as opposed to a few in here, I've found my friends like seeing me use Jellen shot, no harm, and some times that small amount can make a difference to someone. Everything really past that is all about opinion on what you really want out of your ranger.

Vylera
Jul 12, 2012, 11:38 PM
Skill build:

MAG:
100 R-ATK / 50 R-DEF

Equipment:

Rifle - Ice

Have you noticed that you actually have 46 points invested in that skillbuild? For some reason, the ranger's skill simulator starts at -1/45 points.

Also, the only classes I know that can equip 9* ranged armor without any R-def from the skill tree are RaCaseal and RaNewm, so if TS doesn't roll either of those, he won't be able to use those units until level 50 cap or will have to sacrifice mag levels into r-def.

Personally disagree with 50 R-def mag becausew R-def is the most useless defense in the game. The lowest base R-def at level 40 is 360, in which case you only need 14 more R-def to equip the 9 star units. 50 is way overkill, and investing into ability not only makes mag feeding easier, but it also makes it so that equiping strong weapons doesn't make your damage range sporatic.

For skill builds I would recommend:

If RaCaseal/RaNewm and you want the 9* units,

http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/ranger.html?01RA!IOI2fJkGF8

If anything else and you still want the 9* units,

http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/ranger.html?01RA!IOI2fpKGFi2j

The "most efficient" way to deal DPS on a ranger is to fire a weak bullet, strike the mark with PAs ONLY (even if you have to wait for regen) so that you don't waste your other loaded bullets, and remark when it runs out. If you don't care about doing that, then feel free to drop weak bullet to 4 for the most efficient cool down reduction/point investment and play with the points.

As for elements, I would recommend FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE on everything.

Fire works on:

Forest
All dark enemies (i.e. City missions & desert missions)
Tundra
Any enemies that are infected by the dark virus thing

Fire has the best weakness coverage in the game so far.

Dinosaur
Jul 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
Or...he could find the guns/equipment, and skills he prefers, as opposed to following exact instruction of others...

He asked for pointers so I gave it to him. I don't know what the fuck your deal is.

velociti
Jul 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
Don't buy 9 star weapons, those are overpriced, and have 25 or less element. What you should do is buy a nice rifle, launcher, and gunblade with 50 element on it, because element is more important than 100 more ranged attack that you could have got on a 9 star weapon.
Not to mention the 50 element weapons that are about 300 to 400 ranged attack, only cost about 100k in player shops, you just need to look. I bought a 50 zonde launcher, and seems to be really strong on enemies despite the fact that they "aren't weak" against that element. I hit 7k on Ragne with the 50 zonde launcher, so there you have it. 100k for that is good enough...
Put weak bullet to 10, because I use 10 and it is the best imo beause of the 90 second cool down, you constantly have WP ammo.
Also, a 50 element gunblade is extremely good on hitting the weakpoint of the monster. You do 300 per strong shot, and with WP 1k damage every bullet.

FOnewearl-Lina
Jul 12, 2012, 11:51 PM

lololol

Dinosaur
Jul 12, 2012, 11:53 PM
Personally disagree with 50 R-def mag becausew R-def is the most useless defense in the game.

All your points are great but I have to disagree here. T-Def sees the least amount of use for sure since virtually no enemy uses magic. On the other hand, it's often that there is shit flying over your head.

Geistritter
Jul 12, 2012, 11:54 PM
max Weak Bullet first

This is completely up to preference, and is overkill in my opinion. Do it if you want, but it's absolutely not a requirement. I'd say level 3 is something to shoot for as a bare minimum, though.

MAG:
100 R-ATK / 50 R-DEF

R-DEF is the least useful defensive stat in the game. I assume this is for equipping units, but that will come in time. Your Mag will be ruined permanently if you do this, however.

Equipment:

Not practical, or cheap; it may be a common rare, but it's still expensive to get, and grinding rares is a frigging nightmare that'll often leave you with a weapon you can't make better than a common one. Go for it if you must, but to act like it's your only viable option is a waste of time, money, and grinders. Make something more reliable first if you insist on this.

There are two 9 star rifles. Here's referring to ティグリドル, though. More expensive than the Rappy Launcher, so the same advice as before applies; by no means the first thing you should think of. アルバレーザー, the second five star rifle, is much more accessible and much easier to grind as far as best weapons at this point go. If you get a ティグリドル, groovy, but you're not missing much by not having it, except maybe a massive pile of grinders and money, unless you're really lucky; it's an 80 attack difference in that case, but only in that case.

Rifle - Ice

Don't bother with lighting yet, though that might change with the Mines. As of right now, though, there's absolutely nothing that merits it; all of the enemies weak to it are extremely easy to kill. No idea why Rifles are only listed as needing an ice element, either; get a launcher with it too, and a fire Rifle.

AlMcFly
Jul 12, 2012, 11:56 PM
All your points are great but I have to disagree here. T-Def sees the least amount of use for sure since virtually no enemy uses magic. On the other hand, it's often that there is shit flying over your head.

My mag has 50 tech defense. You better believe that some PSO2 later-to-end game is going to need lots of magic defense. Megid anyone? Falz anyone?

Geistritter
Jul 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
Technics have always been the most dangerous things in this series; it's almost guaranteed to happen again here. I still say putting defense on your mag is a waste, but R-Def is by far the biggest waste.

Dinosaur
Jul 13, 2012, 12:01 AM
Don't bother with lighting yet, though that might change with the Mines. As of right now, though, there's absolutely nothing that merits it; all of the enemies weak to it are extremely easy to kill. No idea why Rifles are only listed as needing an ice element, either; get a launcher with it too, and a fire Rifle.

Mines are coming next week, that's why I recommend it.

As for Ice Rifle, I feel that Rifles excel in Caves. A Diffuse Shot to the front of every Cave monster is 99% a weak point hit. It also helps a lot with bosses as they are pretty mobile and standing still with launcher will get you punished in those fights.

Technics have always been the most dangerous things in this series; it's almost guaranteed to happen again here. I still say putting defense on your mag is a waste, but R-Def is by far the biggest waste.

The def is to have access to all R-Def units in the game. The one thing I wouldn't want to do is recommend someone a build and have them later realize they can't equip SHIT.

Vylera
Jul 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
My mag has 50 tech defense. You better believe that some PSO2 later-to-end game is going to need lots of magic defense. Megid anyone? Falz anyone?

See, this is where I'm starting to get worried about rolling a caseal.

Freaking abysmal base magic defense.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
Mines are coming next week, that's why I recommend it.

As for Ice Rifle, I feel that Rifles excel in Caves. A Diffuse Shot to the front of every Cave monster is 99% a weak point hit. It also helps a lot with bosses as they are pretty mobile and standing still with launcher will get you punished in those fights.

The def is to have access to all R-Def units in the game. The one thing I wouldn't want to do is recommend someone a build and have them later realize they can't equip SHIT.

You shouldn't be using launchers against bosses anyway, except in rare cases. Diffuse Shot is otherwise not a better option than a launcher; it's merely an alternate means. The range is annoying, though, and Cluster Bullet is a better option in many cases, Caves or otherwise. Hits a much larger area, too.

Again, the Def isn't necessary; you level up in this game, you know. It gives you defense. If that's your sole reasoning, wait a couple of levels. Ruining your Mag permanently isn't justifiable for taking a bit less damage, unless you plan to make another later, but that's your money and time.

Quatre52
Jul 13, 2012, 12:22 AM
He asked for pointers so I gave it to him. I don't know what the fuck your deal is.

Eh, not exactly how I meant to come off, for some reason, the exact instruction of what equipment/guns etc to use bothered me..

Dinosaur
Jul 13, 2012, 12:23 AM
You shouldn't be using launchers against bosses anyway, except in rare cases. Diffuse Shot is otherwise not a better option than a launcher; it's merely an alternate means. The range is annoying, though, and Cluster Bullet is a better option in many cases, Caves or otherwise. Hits a much larger area, too.

Again, the Def isn't necessary; you level up in this game, you know. It gives you defense. If that's your sole reasoning, wait a couple of levels. Ruining your Mag permanently isn't justifiable for taking a bit less damage, unless you plan to make another later, but that's your money and time.

#1 base R-def @ level 40: 378
#2 base R-def @ level 40: 360

8* Dragon Set - 407 R-Def req
4* Arm unit - 415 R-Def req
3* Arm unit - 457 R-Def req
2* Arm unit - 391 R-Def req

You seem set on picking out what you see as flaws in my reasons so I'm not gonna bother discussing shit with you. I'm just trying to help this guy out.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
And I'm offering a different opinion that might give you a look at the greater picture. Nothing to throw a hissy fit over. It's not right just because it's what you think should be done, so it's best to give as many options as possible so a person can make their own decision based on what they want out of something.

Twigod
Jul 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
I free-balled my entire playtime on my Ranger and ended up going hybrid. I always cycle between Rifle (Weak hit), Launcher (AoE), and my Gunslash (badassery). Mag is 55 S-atk, 55 R-atk, 40 Ability. This lets me actually equip some serious business Gunslashes. It isn't the most efficient or powerful way to play by any means, but it's not like this game is PvP anyways. Save up 300~k for a Rappy Launcher. Still the best investment I've made since lvl 20 and i'm 35 now.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 13, 2012, 12:43 AM
My mag is 70 R-atk, 40 Ability, 40 R-def
Wish the spread was more like 80, 20, 50, though, but oh well.
I also regret getting weak point bullet to 6. Almost all cases only call for 2 bullets

Advice though, get a 4* Laser as soon as you can use it, that's a fine piece of gun right there

Vylera
Jul 13, 2012, 12:56 AM
Almost all cases only call for 2 bullets

I agree with this in the case of soloing. It's tough for me to just sit there and stare at my PP regen.

But in the case of partying, having all 4 bullets and strictly going PAs to give the rest of your party 40 seconds of damage boost is incredibly effective.

dwaynedays
Jul 13, 2012, 08:07 AM
is PA photon arts?

Im only level 18 and I've tried multiple times to use rifles and they just dont seem to get anywhere close to the dmg launchers do. When does this start changing?

Ive also been going mostly ability in my mag build and he just reached level 30. SHould I put some more rng atk in there?

dwaynedays
Jul 13, 2012, 09:37 PM
bump?