PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard + Mouse or Controller?

Loire
Jul 12, 2012, 11:31 PM
I prefer the keyboard + mouse. It gives me more versatility when it comes to sensitivity. I also like how I can have access to typing faster with my hands already close to all the shortcut keys.
Although, I've never tried a USB controller before... I do think it'd be a bit awkward for me to play with it. I've played all 3 classes, and the only class that I'd think that would be comfortable with me playing with the controller would be the Hunter class.

velociti
Jul 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
KB&M. end of discussion, because people have different preferences. I would use a controller if I wanted to be really lazy, but I'm too lazy to configure a PS3 controller to the game. And besides, I got a 120hz monitor, and a gaming mouse, don't need a laggy controller.

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:00 AM
KB&M. end of discussion, because people have different preferences. I would use a controller if I wanted to be really lazy, but I'm too lazy to configure a PS3 controller to the game. And besides, I got a 120hz monitor, and a gaming mouse, don't need a laggy controller.

Controllers aren't laggy at all. Not the one I use, anyway.

And to answer the OP question: Controller. Makes it easier to do, well... anything.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 12:00 AM
Keyboard and Mouse.

velociti
Jul 13, 2012, 12:03 AM
I'm talking about being lazy, and when it comes to being lazy, I mean a couch or on the floor, so that'll be a wireless PS3 controller... oh wait don't think that works on a PC lol.. nvm then

Anyway, I doubt a PS3 controller can have a polling rate (in wired mode, ofcourse. I'm sure wireless PS3 controller has 8ms+) of 2ms or 1 ms, so yea, never using a controller.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:05 AM
Don't see any advantages of a keyboard and mouse over a controller in this game, so I use the latter, and the mouse in extremely rare cases. I absolutely hate fumbling with the keys in a heated situation, besides.

Anyway, I doubt a PS3 controller can have a polling rate (in wired mode, ofcourse. I'm sure wireless PS3 controller has 8ms+) of 2ms or 1 ms, so yea, never using a controller.

This is plain biased hyperbole, but whatever it takes to justify your purchasing decisions, I guess.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 13, 2012, 12:06 AM
http://i.imgur.com/0418a.png
http://i.imgur.com/TO7Gv.png

Step off.

velociti
Jul 13, 2012, 12:07 AM
This same thread was here half a month ago, if you are a ranger, use a mouse (you know, to aim for headshots) so yea, mouse>controller for ranger if you want to be stronk
^ to the above, I was going to say, you know guys there are MMO mice out there, 15 buttons etc... and keyboards are crazy comfortable, and you don't fumble with it if you have good posture, etc.

BIG OLAF
Jul 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
Controller. Hunter is so much easier with the stick's free range of motion. At least to me. I'm used to PSU's controls, so it complements nicely with the game.

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:08 AM
I'm talking about being lazy, and when it comes to being lazy, I mean a couch or on the floor, so that'll be a wireless PS3 controller... oh wait don't think that works on a PC lol.. nvm then

This... isn't an FPS, dude.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
[spoiler-box]

http://i.imgur.com/0418a.png
http://i.imgur.com/TO7Gv.png

[/spoiler-box]

Step off.

Badass. My mouse is close:

http://www.jeffsreviews.com/Images/comp%20hard%20mar09-/naga%20sml/razer%20naga%20mmo%20gaming%20mouse%20sml.jpg

velociti
Jul 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
ROFL WHAT IT ISNT AN FPS? RANGERS! can't you read? what else are you going to say buddy?
you stupid?
headshots=WP.
done.
meanie;

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 12:11 AM
I currently use the mouse and keyboard but I might try out using a PS3 controller with it since I used to play the Universe/Portable games a lot.

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:11 AM
ROFL WHAT IT ISNT AN FPS? RANGERS! can't you read? what else are you going to say buddy?
you stupid?
headshots=WP.
done.
meanie;

Er... what?

velociti
Jul 13, 2012, 12:12 AM
wp=weakpoint

xhrit
Jul 13, 2012, 12:12 AM
This... isn't an FPS, dude.

It is a tps, which is a genre of game that uses all the same skills as a fps.

I use a trackball, because I am oldschool like that.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 12:13 AM
I will add that if I have to switch from keyboard/mouse to using a controller to scroll through menu UI, rather than just clicking it with my mouse, I think I would shoot myself.

velociti
Jul 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
amen al, amen

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:17 AM
I've never had a problem hitting anything I've aimed at with a controller unless the bastard moved at the last second. It's not automatically a terrible option just because it's not the method you prefer.

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:17 AM
wp=weakpoint

Well, that explains ONE part of your confuzzling post. What about the rest?

And my "this isn't an FPS" crack was more about how it's just obsessive to worry about your "polling rate" or whatever. You never have to try landing a pinpoint headshot on a bunny-hopping human enemy from 100 yards away. Not in this game.

velociti
Jul 13, 2012, 12:18 AM
Well when I aim I only go for headshots or a miss, and in your viewpoint, aiming at fat objects is obviously easy. The tough part is aiming consistently at the WP's of the enemy, this is where you need the mouse - if you want to be that good though.
btw, competitive games aren't meant to be realistic, that's what BF3 is for. competitive games are competitive, and it takes skill to aim accurately, and the reward of out aiming an opponent is their life. distance doesn't matter, unless it is really far away, and that's when snipers just destroy you, because, you know snipers are accuracte at any distance...

I only brought up the polling rate because I feel the 6 ms difference, because I'm used to 2 ms of extra lag from using it forever. anything that bogs down my aim is a no go for me, sorry...

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:19 AM
Again, I don't have a problem doing that. You're making that up because it's not how you like to do things, and you're welcome to do so, but you'll still be wrong.

Metsume
Jul 13, 2012, 12:19 AM
I tried using a gamepad the moment closed beta started. Ended up messing with the settings, trying to get it to work, and couldn't move my character for a good thirty minutes. hahah

After a few minutes of using the keyboard and mouse to move, I saw how much more you could do opposed to using a gamepad. I agree with you, Loire. The most important reason I choose keyboard and mouse is the sensitivity. With the mouse, it's fast and precise. I play as a Force, so hotkeys with the keyboard are not only very efficient but an absolute must for me. The keyboard and mouse setup would also be best for a Ranger. TPS shooting is a breeze with the mouse. You've got speed and accuracy.

Now, I did play PSU with a gamepad, so playing PSO2 the same way was my first thought. However, you couldn't use hotkeys for techs and items seeing as they had to be linked to weapons and your palette. Again, this makes the keyboard and mouse setup very versatile for a Force. I do plan on testing a gamepad out with the Hunter class, but I do like how, with a keyboard, a Hunter can quickly switch to certain weapons with the press of a key. That's a definite plus for me.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 12:20 AM
Well, that explains ONE part of your confuzzling post. What about the rest?

And my "this isn't an FPS" crack was more about how it's just obsessive to worry about your "polling rate" or whatever. You never have to try landing a pinpoint headshot on a bunny-hopping human enemy from 100 yards away. Not in this game.

I want to see bunny hopping enemies. Would be HILARIOUS!

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:21 AM
...You can still use hotkeys and the mouse while using a controller, people. There's not someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to do only one or the other, jesus.

BIG OLAF
I will add that if I have to switch from keyboard/mouse to using a controller to scroll through menu UI, rather than just clicking it with my mouse, I think I would shoot myself.

You can use both for that. Controller and mouse can switch out automatically whenever you start using one or the other. It's no big deal.

Loire
Even on Rangers, I only use TPS Mode whenever there is a strong weak point I need to be hitting, other than that... I find it annoying sometimes, because sometimes I'd get hit, I'd need to roll around a lot... it'd just balance out the flow of battle for me.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:24 AM
I wish people would stop calling it third person mode. The only perspective in the freaking game is third person. Call it aiming mode or over-the-shoulder or something. Gah!

Metsume
Jul 13, 2012, 12:25 AM
...You can still use hotkeys and the mouse while using a controller, people. There's not someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to do only one or the other, jesus.
I used to do that for shortcuts in PSU when I used a controller, but I do like that your hands are already there when you're just using a keyboard and mouse. It is definitely a preference, though. Whatever works best for the player.

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
I will say, though, that I am a Hunter in PSO2, and I was a Fighmaster in PSU (in which I also used a controller).

I've never had to aim anything. Just get in close and start bashing stuff with my big weapon. Precision? Accuracy? Pffft.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 13, 2012, 12:30 AM
Yeeeeeah... I couldn't do anything on keyboard + mouse. I practically had to switch to pad if I wanted to do anything, lol. I'm really more of a console guy, so moving with A, S, W, D, w/e was far too awkward for me as opposed to just using the left analog stick to move and the right to control the camera.

Metsume
Jul 13, 2012, 12:30 AM
I will say, though, that I am a Hunter in PSO2, and I was a Fighmaster in PSU (in which I also used a controller).

I've never had to aim anything. Just get in close and start bashing stuff with my big weapon. Precision? Accuracy? Pffft.
hahah I guess that's the beauty of being a Hunter! I hope you weren't a Beast in PSU, because then accuracy really would be a problem!

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:33 AM
I play a Ranger full time and have had maybe three instances total where I reached for the mouse to line up a shot, and because the hit boxes are atrocious in this game, it only helped in one of those situations; turned out my missing wasn't human error.

And if you want to get picky, analog sticks offer greater control, so I could make some huge stink about how you're hurting your mobility using a keyboard, but you know what? It doesn't freaking matter. Play with what you want as long as you don't give other people shit when they do the same.

As for having the keyboard handy, I just map hotkeys to the numberpad so I don't have to guess which key is where. You could say I use the best of both worlds.

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:36 AM
hahah I guess that's the beauty of being a Hunter! I hope you weren't a Beast in PSU, because then accuracy really would be a problem!

No wai. I had 4 characters and not one of them was a Beast. >_>

Human M FM. :3

Metsume
Jul 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
Yeeeeeah... I couldn't do anything on keyboard + mouse. I practically had to switch to pad if I wanted to do anything, lol. I'm really more of a console guy, so moving with A, S, W, D, w/e was far too awkward for me as opposed to just using the left analog stick to move and the right to control the camera.
I'm more of a console person myself. I never really played much of PC games until this game came around. After reading more from this topic, I'm thinking of going controller when I'm a Hunter. I did really enjoy hacking and slashing like that in PSU. I will also note, while you do get the accuracy of aiming and looking with a mouse, you don't get the same accuracy moving your character with the four keys on a keyboard than you would with a multi-directional analog stick.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
I'm more of a console person myself. I never really played much of PC games until this game came around. After reading more from this topic, I'm thinking of going controller when I'm a Hunter. I did really enjoy hacking and slashing like that in PSU. I will also note, while you do get the accuracy of aiming and looking with a mouse, you don't get the same accuracy moving your character with a multi-directional analog stick as you do with four keys you use on a keyboard.

I haven't owned a console since PS2. Been a strict PC gamer for years.

ScottyMango
Jul 13, 2012, 12:50 AM
WASD is faar too clunky for a game like PSO2. I like to be able to move in all directions fluidly, rather than the choppiness that keyboard buttons bring.

The only time using mouse/keyboard makes sense is for ranger.

I tried using it for hunter, and it just felt so awkward and clunky. I didn't even realize how smooth the combat and gameplay in general was until I switched to a gamepad... then it blew my mind.

Metsume
Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 AM
I haven't owned a console since PS2. Been a strict PC gamer for years.
I can see with that mouse you use!

I will say... Games that are multi-platform and have a PC release... It is without question a huge difference when it comes to graphics and performance compared to the console versions. I've always wanted a decent gaming PC, but money of course was a big factor. I only had now, with the release of PSO2, to finally have my own. It's PSO2. I had to!

Also currently never owned a console newer than the PS2. hahah

Skye-Fox713
Jul 13, 2012, 12:59 AM
with the way ranger play's a mouse and keyboard is the way to go for me.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 13, 2012, 01:03 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/N64_controller.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4104WHRK2TL._SS500_.jpg
http://deltagamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/gears3controller-595x384.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
because, 15 years of practice before ever trying keyboard+mouse (and i did try keyboard+mouse for good while from April to official launch in several games) made me better with this then anything else+^_^+ that and the stupid dodge thing when you press wasd in PSO2 was driving me nuts, every 2-3 secs a roll when i didn't want to, is it so much to ask for an affordable pressure sensitive keyboard?? Analog control>Digital control

ScottyMango
Jul 13, 2012, 01:10 AM
A pressure sensitive keyboard would be fantastic, but I still think it'd be more clunky than a gamepad. I mean.. gamepads are DESIGNED for playing games. Keyboards are designed for typing.

The whole concept of using a keyboard for gaming feels like some kind of MacGyver/makeshift thing.

goldwing
Jul 13, 2012, 01:12 AM
I find both equaly rewarding. Both are pretty good for the cause. I use both to play. Controller is dominate tho.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 01:14 AM
A pressure sensitive keyboard would be fantastic, but I still think it'd be more clunky than a gamepad. I mean.. gamepads are DESIGNED for playing games. Keyboards are designed for typing.

This is the most startlingly logical thing I've seen on the internet in a long time.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 01:15 AM
This is the most startlingly logical thing I've seen on the internet in a long time.

It's not THAT logical when you consider many games are designed with keyboards in mind. Also remember that without keyboards, your console games wouldn't exist.

EvilMag
Jul 13, 2012, 01:17 AM
Controller. I can't use Keyboard and Mouse for the life of me so I use my Xbox 360 controller.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 13, 2012, 01:36 AM

The whole concept of using a keyboard for gaming feels like some kind of MacGyver/makeshift thing.

ima game-pad fan, but here's a secret, all the buttons on the PS2 controller are pressure sensitive, and so are the skittle buttons on a 360 pad, very few PS2 or 360 games utilize these features, but if you wanna test it out, Ace Combat 0 for PS2 and GTA4 on 360 (with driving controls set to use gas and brake on skittle buttons) not so clunky to make them pressure sensitive at all+^_^+

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 01:46 AM
It's not THAT logical when you consider many games are designed with keyboards in mind. Also remember that without keyboards, your console games wouldn't exist.

While this is just a continuation of some halfbaked desire to pick one over the other as the savior of mankind. Have a sense of humor, guy. You'll be better off.

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 01:50 AM
Mouse + keyboard for me. Not so much because I don't like controllers, but because I've had more practice with the former.

Ranmaru
Jul 13, 2012, 01:54 AM
I also use Keyboard + Mouse, since I'm already adjusted to it. I could use Controller but that would be better if I was just skyping/raidcalling/mumbling with everyone I play with.

Like others have said before, I feel it would be easier to speak to people in chat with a kb.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 02:02 AM
But you can't use the keyboard while using a controller.

Ill-focused rage!

ellu
Jul 13, 2012, 02:07 AM
But you can't use the keyboard while using a controller.

Ill-focused rage!

I use my controller and Keyboard at the same time pretty easily -- it's nice to be able to run around the map with ease as you type.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 13, 2012, 02:08 AM
I use my controller and Keyboard at the same time pretty easily -- it's nice to be able to run around the map with ease as you type.

ninja'd +^_^+

Neirene
Jul 13, 2012, 02:09 AM
Keyboard only no need of mouse for me, just like the old PSOBB ^^

Ranmaru
Jul 13, 2012, 02:13 AM
Keyboard only no need of mouse for me, just like the old PSOBB ^^

Really? What do you have mapped for attacking on your keyboard?

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 02:21 AM

I meant "can", and have said so a couple of times already, but didn't type it that time because I'm apparently thick.

But yeah, I do it all the time during my own play. I just put the thing on my lap when I have to type. And as I mentioned earlier, I've reached over to aim with the mouse a few times, too.

Neirene
Jul 14, 2012, 03:32 AM
Really? What do you have mapped for attacking on your keyboard?

This is the mapping i use to play PSO2 with my same keyboard model (logitech K300).
To move the camera I just move around locking on an enemy or just pressing the lockon button when there is no enemy nearby to reset it to the current side my character is facing just like on PSOBB.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2470/mappingpso2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Darki
Jul 14, 2012, 03:42 AM
Both. My controller doesn't have enough buttons to cover all the functions, and I use the number keys for fast item/tech/talent ussage, as well as some TPS mode when required.

I don't see why not to use both, considering that this is a MMO and you gotta use the keyboard anyways for many functions.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 03:44 AM
Gamepad for hunter, keyboard + mouse for force and ranger.

Ranmaru
Jul 14, 2012, 03:58 AM
This is the mapping i use to play PSO2 with my same keyboard model (logitech K300).
To move the camera I just move around locking on an enemy or just pressing the lockon button when there is no enemy nearby to reset it to the current side my character is facing just like on PSOBB.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2470/mappingpso2.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ah ok! Ah my mindset was "How did you set an attack button on the left side?" I totally didn't think of the right side because I'm using the mouse hehehe.

Thank you and I'll try this sometime and see if it fits. : D

texhnolyze
Jul 14, 2012, 04:14 AM
as a ranger, keyboard + mouse
it's hard to aim in third person mode with a controller
auto aim is just too easy for a game like this :/

Snitch
Jul 14, 2012, 04:41 AM
Mouse and keyboard makes it faster as ranger or force. But when im lazy and just wanna walk around I use the 360 controller. ( yes very cheap to buy original 360 controller with usb No prgraming needed at all, plug and play )

mctastee
Jul 14, 2012, 05:26 AM
Mouse and keyboard for me. It just feels so much better than a controller. To each their own, though.

Gama
Jul 14, 2012, 05:37 AM
i like both, but for long periods of gaming, kb and mouse make my hands hurt. controller dosent.

moorebounce
Jul 14, 2012, 05:39 AM
I probably should've voted both only because I have to use the keyboard to chat in-game and I do on occasions use the mouse to nav the menus.

I however mapped the "N" key function (Area Map Display) to the clicking of my left analog stick so I only use the keyboard to chat.

Alenoir
Jul 14, 2012, 05:54 AM
I have bad motion sickness. Mouse control is basically the very thing that makes me motion sick.

Thank god I have a 360 controller.

Daiyousei
Jul 14, 2012, 06:12 AM
depends on the class for me, If I need my aim, I'll choose a mouse, but as hunter, I'm better off with controller buttons, it's just more ergonomic.