PDA

View Full Version : So I rolled a Ranger, and now I'm curious

MissMalice
Jul 13, 2012, 12:33 AM
I've played around with a Ranger for the first time--like literally the first time since I started playing PSU when it first came out--and I'm enjoying it so far. I've been browsing the forums for tips and how to make the most of my RA-experience, and its come to my attention that almost no one likes launcher, which surprised the hell out of me because I see so many people running around with them.

I started out with an AR and I thought it was fine~ Honestly, I got to level 8 without even remembering that launchers existed. After five minutes, I was pretty much in love with launcher. So, I'm just a bit curious as to why it seems like most Rangers dislike launchers so much. I mean, I see the negatives: not as versatile, shots miss easily, reload times. It also sucks to be unable to dodge roll immediately.

Anywho! Just looking for some answers for more experienced Rangers as to why launchers are so looked down upon~ Note: I'm not bashing ARs or anything. Just seems like either weapons can get the job done easily enough. c:

MelancholyWitch
Jul 13, 2012, 12:36 AM
It's because their AOE PA attack does more damage than single target PA attacks, which is a bit confusing, Rifles are just more fun sometimes you're forced to use the AOE capabilities of the launcher but for the most part Rifles are 100 times more useful in boss fights if you have the right build your multiparty will down any bosses they find in less than a minute.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
People dislike launchers because they're efficient, and it's cool to bitch about using something that's useful.

Seriously, that's it.

Assault Rifles have their place, but they're your weakest weapon overall; this is made up for by their versatility - and Weak Shot, of course, but no one says you can't switch to another weapon when you've used your last bullet, and if they do, they're silly.

Launchers aren't great against bosses though, in most cases, although they're okay. Gunslashes are the best pure damage option in that department, but they're harder to use than Rifles.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
It's one of those things in which the large community of snobby rangers consider launchers to be easy-mode, so they look down upon it in favor of assault rifle. I personally use both. For big enemies and targeting weak points/weak shot points I tend to use Rifle. However during City codes and situations in which there are literally 5-8 mobs all grouped together, I will launcher the shit out of that group.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
It's one of those things in which the large community of snobby rangers consider launchers to be easy-mode, so they look down upon it in favor of assault rifle. I personally use both. For big enemies and targeting weak points/weak shot points I tend to use Rifle. However during City codes and situations in which there are literally 5-8 mobs all grouped together, I will launcher the shit out of that group.

No....actually...I think it's the non-rangers that look down upon it. Most Rangers I talk to don't have a problem using both. Me? I just enjoy lobbing shells downrange and MIRV'ing the s##t out of everything. And when I have to move and shoot (which is usually how it works out for me) I use the rifle.

Simple, really.

But anyway, I digress. You pretty much listed all the key points, Malice. Another thing for me is simple: it gets boring. I mean, you're forced to sit there, just firing endlessly, over, and over, and over. If I'm shelling a big target, and I'm in a single spot for too long, it feels like my brain is turning off. But I don't dislike Launcher. I just accept that it's a less versatile weapon, and I use it accordingly. Rifle is just so much more dynamic.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 12:50 AM
Launcher is to Assault Rifle like Upper Trap is to Launcher - so much more powerful that it isn't even funny. I guess that Rangers who want to focus on AR dislike Launchers for that reason. It's pretty understandable, since right now, it seems that only Hunters have anything that looks even remotely like a choice in their skill and weapon setup.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
i like my rifle so i can move, but i always keep an equal launcher along side it, when your trying to land hits (i think you need to land hits to charge your MAG) the rifle's basic attack is almost worthless when running in a multiparty with hunters tossing enemies and forces killing everything in 4 seconds with their AOEs+^_^+ the ones i like a lot though is the master key as the 1st PA (if it's in front of you, they get knocked down, setting you up for sneak shot or whatever more powerful PA you have), and the sneak shot somewhere in there, sneak shot can do insane damage after you use weak bullet+^_^+ the rifle is great for soloing, all that mobility keeps you away from mobs chasing you+^_^+

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
only reason i don't like launchers is because when i'm a hunter all i see is explosions and my game starts getting mad fps drops.

as a ranger though i love launcher its great. it was even better in closed beta because it's splash aoe had like 30% larger radius, and i think divine launcher only took 30 pp.

it's not that helpful against bosses though. ar is gonna be much better, along with how you can point blank a weak spot+weak bullet with homing emission yeah, lol.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 12:56 AM
I mean, you're forced to sit there, just firing endlessly, over, and over, and over. If I'm shelling a big target, and I'm in a single spot for too long, it feels like my brain is turning off.

I personally find that I don't even GET to stand still very long. I don't know if it is my skill builds, gear, or playstyle but everything I shoot USUALLY turns its aggro towards me and away from all the Hunters poking at it. Those Giant Yetis are notorious for hating on us Rangers.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 12:58 AM
Launcher is to Assault Rifle like Upper Trap is to Launcher - so much more powerful that it isn't even funny. I guess that Rangers who want to focus on AR dislike Launchers for that reason. It's pretty understandable, since right now, it seems that only Hunters have anything that looks even remotely like a choice in their skill and weapon setup.

My main reason is because i love the Yazminkov series.As soon as i discovered that Yazminkov 3000-R was in the game , launchers became nothing to me.Though i still utilize both based on situational experiences.

I guess i don't count XD I am gonna keep my Yaz as viable as i can for as long as i possibly can.For now, it combined with my upper traps , just destroys anything i fight.Nothing stands a chance.

Kinda disappoints me in a way but i haven't hit the tundra yet because i am taking my time.But then again i also keep logging on shortly before maint...

LK1721
Jul 13, 2012, 01:04 AM
I'm a fan of both. I usually use ARs because I can move around and are generally more versatile and better for bosses, but if I'm in an area with clusters of mobs (I.E. Emergency City Mission) then I'll pull out my launcher for the AOE damage.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 01:05 AM
I'm a fan of both. I usually use ARs because I can move around and are generally more versatile and better for bosses, but if I'm in an area with clusters of mobs (I.E. Emergency City Mission) then I'll pull out my launcher for the AOE damage.

Enemy clusters equal buckshot and grenade shot spam. XD

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 01:05 AM
Besides, only a Ranger can look this cool:

[spoiler-box]

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s504/AlMcFly/FashionPicProfile.gif

[/spoiler-box]

Vylera
Jul 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
My problem with launchers is that some rangers just WON'T. PUT. IT. DOWN.

It's really annoying trying to be an AR or gunslash ranger when explosions are clouding the weak points on every enemy I'm trying to aim at. It's even more annoying when launcher PAs randomly knock things up in the air when I'm charging sword gear and miss like a retard.

Launcher to kill ONE rappy? Really? Even gunslash headshots get the job done faster.

I get the feeling that some people think of launchers as the universal solution to all enemy layouts and types. Can't stand it.

I've done it since PSO1, and I'm doing it still in PSO2. Use the best weapon for the situation.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 01:08 AM
That's a more valid stance when the situation is a remote threat. Most things in this game aren't, and it's sometimes more trouble than it's worth switching to another weapon and closing distance for a single enemy, even if it'd mean killing it faster in the end.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 01:09 AM
Besides, only a Ranger can look this cool:

[spoiler-box]

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s504/AlMcFly/FashionPicProfile.gif

[/spoiler-box]

You sir, have my respect. *salutes*

Though going full auto on my Yaz has that beautiful tommy gun feel. :D

Enforcer MKV
Jul 13, 2012, 01:11 AM
I personally find that I don't even GET to stand still very long. I don't know if it is my skill builds, gear, or playstyle but everything I shoot USUALLY turns its aggro towards me and away from all the Hunters poking at it. Those Giant Yetis are notorious for hating on us Rangers.

Eh, doesn't always happen, besides, launcher has that stun lock on enemies if you smack them in the face with the shot. And I sometimes shell from outside aggro range, so that all contributes. XD

Dunno about Tundra, still working on 30. (27 right now.)

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 01:13 AM
That's a more valid stance when the situation is a remote threat. Most things in this game aren't, and it's sometimes more trouble than it's worth switching to another weapon and closing distance for a single enemy, even if it'd mean killing it faster in the end.

I have gotten questioned about my tendency to switch targets quickly.By some of the english players anyway.I simply told them i do it in order to stop attacks from hitting my allies.

I am used to doing so in PSO.Aiming from across the room to quickly hit a monster accurately with a heavy attack to stop them mid attack from hitting that last blip of health off a poor cornered hunter is just so immensely satisfying.Perhaps that is my biggest reason for sticking to rifle weapons in all of the PS online games.

I don't feel the impact of this as much in this game as much as i used to in pso but a well times shotgun blast or grenade shot can still save a teammate.

Scrub
Jul 13, 2012, 01:16 AM
I got bored of the ranger tbh because, while the assault rifle was fine and fun and cool, the launcher was literally the most boring piece of shit to use. It also happened to be better than the assault rifle in almost every scenario, to where unless I was fighting a boss or something I felt gimped if I was using the rifle. Can't wait til they bring back some more guns for the fucking rangers.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 01:23 AM
I got bored of the ranger tbh because, while the assault rifle was fine and fun and cool, the launcher was literally the most boring piece of shit to use. It also happened to be better than the assault rifle in almost every scenario, to where unless I was fighting a boss or something I felt gimped if I was using the rifle. Can't wait til they bring back some more guns for the fucking rangers.

At close range with the shotgun burst and grenade shot you can do almost as much damage as the launcher's PAs.

Scrub
Jul 13, 2012, 01:25 AM
Yeah ALMOST and you still have to be really close. It's what I was doing a lot of, but it still felt like just sitting back 3000 feet and using the regular launcher attack was more effective.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 01:33 AM
At close range with the shotgun burst and grenade shot you can do almost as much damage as the launcher's PAs.

eh

general rule of thumb is always going to be

multiple enemies: launcher

single target: AR

so it's always gonna be for different circumstances. except most circumstances include multiple enemies. so most of the time people use launcher.

Wolfgrey666
Jul 13, 2012, 01:35 AM
eh

so it's always gonna be for different circumstances. except most circumstances include multiple enemies. so most of the time people use launcher.

homing emission is really fun on bosses though.

Meh launcher is kind of boring.I mean it is more fun than it used to be since i am using the photon launcher but still.

I am probably just addicted to hearing realistic bullet noises coming out of my yaz.Though i blow through mobs pretty quickly.

EXPFULL
Jul 13, 2012, 04:41 AM
Tried the rest, wen't back to the best.

But I've been Male Cast Ranger in each game since DCv1, so kinda stuck in my ways.
PSO2's implementation is by far the best.

Macman
Jul 13, 2012, 05:07 AM
PSO2's launchers are awesome solely because they made Photon Launcher useful.

Grinded that sucker to +7 and use it for all machine enemies.

MissMalice
Jul 13, 2012, 09:27 AM

This seems to be the consensus among Rangers~ My biggest problem with ARs is that you run at your normal speed while shooting. Now, while that is a huge plus for most Rangers, I prefer to be a bit more stabilized while shooting. Anyone that's run a few missions with me before I got a launcher will tell you that I look like a fiddler crab with sparklers in its claws when we stumble upon a mob cluster~ That's pretty much the only thing I dislike about ARs, and I haven't really found a method to be able to just walk slower while shooting. Pressing Z helps a little, but I like being able to see everything that's going on around me to. D:

Anyone have any suggestions?

NoiseHERO
Jul 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
People dislike launchers because they're efficient, and it's cool to bitch about using something that's useful.

Seriously, that's it.

Assault Rifles have their place, but they're your weakest weapon overall; this is made up for by their versatility - and Weak Shot, of course, but no one says you can't switch to another weapon when you've used your last bullet, and if they do, they're silly.

Launchers aren't great against bosses though, in most cases, although they're okay. Gunslashes are the best pure damage option in that department, but they're harder to use than Rifles.

Ah you didn't see that episode of PSO2 where the rifle did 9999 damage.

Only thing I have against launcher is that it hurts my freaking eyes when there's more than two launcher users in one place.