PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Interview with Satoshi Sakai regarding PSO2 future and US version.

Pages : [1] 2

Neirene
Jul 13, 2012, 12:42 AM
The game news website 4gamer.net features today a very very long interview with the PSO2 main staff about how the project started, the reason why they decided to make a multiplatform game and many other interesting bits of information about upcoming updates.

However on the last page of the interview they talk about the release of the game in western markets and how they got shocked when they noticed that people really really wanted PSO2 to be localized to the english, they even mention the translation patch works made to the character creator and the game during previous betas and they couln't beleive the game was translated almost entirely in such short amount of time.

Therefore they mentioned also that same as happened with PSOBB and PSU the Japanese servers will be completely separated from the US/EU ones due to laws of each country, censorship issues, etc.

It's very unfortunate they decided this as I know many people here including myself was hoping for a true global PSO like the old ones from the dreamcast and the gamecube.

This is the original link to the 2nd page of the interview:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012075/20120706038/index_2.html

And if you are interested in the full one this is the link to the beginning of it:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012075/20120706038/

MelancholyWitch
Jul 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
This is unfortunate looks like I'll be staying on the JP servers then.

Sp-24
Guess we are getting PSU2 after all. Wonderful.

Dabian
Aww he made mention of us PSO fans. :]

MelancholyWitch
yes PSU 2 FTW.

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:47 AM
So that confirms it, then? No global servers?

If so, good luck to those of us rolling characters in the NA version of the game. Sega of America's going to treat us reeeaaal nice, I'm sure.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

MelancholyWitch
Jul 13, 2012, 12:48 AM
Also for those who have actually read the entire interview, is there any mention about PvP in upcoming updates or a Korean Release?

Gardios
Jul 13, 2012, 12:48 AM
Bleh, that sucks. My main account will be the JP one.

Therefore they mentioned also that same as happened with PSOBB and PSU the Japanese servers will be completely separated from the US/EU ones due to laws of each country, censorship issues, etc.

Watch them giving the girls shorts to hide all traces of panties.

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 12:49 AM
Bleh, that sucks. My main account will be the JP one.

Watch them giving the girls shorts to hide all traces of panties.

THOSE FIENDS

Neirene
Jul 13, 2012, 12:50 AM
Also for those who have actually read the entire interview, is there any mention about PvP in upcoming updates or a Korean Release?

Nothing about pvp but they mention that they would like to show the game in the upcoming korean mmorpg convention G-Star in the future.

Geistritter
And so, everything that could go wrong with the US release is already in motion. That's a bummer.

BIG OLAF

And there we have it. See? I know what I'm talking about. I am 0% surprised.

AlMcFly
Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 AM
Someone needs to tell him that they would see much better support and fan appreciation if they just gave us a toggle option in the launcher to play the Japanese version of the game in English. There are absolutely no game laws saying that a Japanese company cannot release a game entirely in English to only Japanese players.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 12:52 AM
And there we have it. See? I know what I'm talking about. I am 0% surprised.

I'm going to say with a relative surety absolutely no one thought of you upon seeing this news, or about the accuracy of any claim you've made on this or any topic.

Also, predicting they'll do things the same way as last time isn't knowing what you're talking about so much as pattern recognition.

Someone needs to tell him that they would see much better support and fan appreciation if they just gave us a toggle option in the launcher to play the Japanese version of the game in English. There are absolutely no game laws saying that a Japanese company cannot release a game entirely in English to only Japanese players.

Yeah, the justification was just smoke and mirrors.

There's also zero reason why the US version couldn't be on Japanese servers.

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 12:53 AM
PVP [thankfully] isn't in their roadmap plan for 2012.

EvilMag
Welp, I'm staying on JP.

BIG OLAF
I'm going to say with a relative surety absolutely no one thought of you upon seeing this news, or about the accuracy of any claim you've made on this or any topic.

Also, predicting they'll do things the same way as last time isn't knowing what you're talking about so much as pattern recognition.

I was referring to the other topic where certain people were 'refusing' to believe that Edward had any idea what he was talking about (since he had already pseudo-confirmed separate servers himself), and I kept saying that he actually did. Whether or not you read it, or care at all, is of no consequence to me, bucko.

Kraiseson

Yeah, the justification was just smoke and mirrors.

There's also zero reason why the US version couldn't be on Japanese servers.

I thought of him.

ScottyMango
Jul 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
Is it like the new hip thing around here, that every time you hear something you don't like, you call it 'PSU2'?

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
I thought of him.

As did I. /blush

MelancholyWitch
Jul 13, 2012, 12:55 AM
Nothing about pvp but they mention that they would like to show the game in the upcoming korean mmorpg convention G-Star in the future.

Thank you that gives me some hope that something like this can come in the future.

Flame
Jul 13, 2012, 12:58 AM
Is it like the new hip thing around here, that every time you hear something you don't like, you call it 'PSU2'?

well, most people really DID hate PSU. So, appropriate?

MAXrobo
Jul 13, 2012, 01:00 AM
Well I guess this pretty much cements my place in the JP servers. Its a shame, but a predictable one.

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 01:01 AM
Look at PSU. Now look at PSO2. Look at PSU again, now look at PSO2 again. Of course PSU is going to get the flak.

The Walrus
Jul 13, 2012, 01:02 AM
While I'm saddened that we're not getting universal servers it doesn't surprise me. I'll give the US release a shot and if it tanks I'll just hop back on the good ol servers in nippon

ScottyMango
Jul 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
Look at PSU. Now look at PSO2. Look at PSU again, now look at PSO2 again. Of course PSU is going to get the flak.

That's what I'm saying. PSO2 is a faaantastic game, and people are calling it 'PSU2'.

It really doesn't deserve that harsh of insult :c

Sucks that the servers are separate, but I don't really mind. I just hope one day I can have my menus and dialog(even if only text) in English. I'm definitely stickin' to the JP servers.

Immovable One
Jul 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
Look at PSU. Now look at PSO2. Look at PSU again, now look at PSO2 again.

Look again - the Arks Scratch are now DIAMONDS!

I'm on a Rappy....

Hosaka
Jul 13, 2012, 01:07 AM
That's what I'm saying. PSO2 is a faaantastic game, and people are calling it 'PSU2'.

It really doesn't deserve that harsh of insult :c

Sucks that the servers are separate, but I don't really mind. I just hope one day I can have my menus and dialog(even if only text) in English. I'm definitely stickin' to the JP servers.

I think people are calling NA PSO2 "PSU2."

BIG OLAF
Jul 13, 2012, 01:07 AM
Look again - the Arks Scratch are now DIAMONDS!

I'm on a Rappy....

Just a Rappy? Not a Vol Dragon or anything cooler? C'mon now.

GrieverXVII
Jul 13, 2012, 01:09 AM

If so, good luck to those of us rolling characters in the NA version of the game. Sega of America's going to treat us reeeaaal nice, I'm sure.

lol i'm trying to keep a good level of positivity in this. It's a new start, a second chance. if this game hits big in NA and makes SoA good profits, it'd be in their best interests to keep this game in good condition and it's fans happy. we'll see though...

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 01:10 AM
After the success of PSO, the expectations were so unrealistically high, nothing would have satisfied. I get where you're coming from though. PSU was trying something a little different, and while it didn't do as well...not least due to the outrageous expectations of many, it became the unfortunate scapegoat.

Kinda like Diablo 3 I guess. Not that it's a bad game per se. Just, not quite living up to the expectations of those who ate, drank, breathed, and lived D2.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 01:12 AM
I was referring to the other topic where certain people were 'refusing' to believe that Edward had any idea what he was talking about (since he had already pseudo-confirmed separate servers himself), and I kept saying that he actually did. Whether or not you read it, or care at all, is of no consequence to me, bucko.

My point was whether you were right or wrong about anything on this or any topic isn't of consequence to anyone else, bucko. Bragging about it just makes you look silly, and attracts jerks like me into telling you such.

And you can play the haughty "I don't care" card as much as you like, but we're still having a conversation about you seeking validation for an opinion you had, aren't we.

I thought of him.

That's a lie, even if it isn't, and I'll pointlessly argue so until nothing makes sense anymore.

xBladeM6x
Jul 13, 2012, 01:12 AM
Probably sticking to PSO2 JP. If the US / EU side is all good like the JP side, then I might switch. However I'm not sure if I will. I would like to have the ENGLISH support that I can actually speak to, and the ENGLISH playerbase, but if the game is handled like crap I'm not going to bother.

Ranmaru
Jul 13, 2012, 01:14 AM
I want to know though. Why exactly has SoA been lazy in the past? Is there a chance they might try to shape up? (Seeing as how PSO2 is awesome, would they really want to mess that up? )

I'm keeping my main account on the JP servers, and making an alternate account on the NA servers to play with friends who only play on there.

Meruru
Jul 13, 2012, 01:15 AM
Too bad about about the global servers, but it makes sense, most online games nowadays keep the regions separated =/ . I'll probably play on both servers, but mostly JP.

Sp-24
Probably sticking to PSO2 JP. If the US / EU side is all good like the JP side, then I might switch. However I'm not sure if I will. I would like to have the ENGLISH support that I can actually speak to, and the ENGLISH playerbase, but if the game is handled like crap I'm not going to bother.

I have serious doubts about NA/EU version being even close to good. Sega will most likely find another, cheaper way to encourage people to try out other versions, like an IP ban.

Dabian
It all comes down to the updates. Whether this time around, they'll be on the ball and keep pace with the JP content, or be months behind and players drop out of boredom and disappointment.

If I may so draw a not-so-relevant comparison, the pace of Spiral Knights' updates is encouraging. Not quite the same, but a good thing to hope for in PSO2 NA.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 01:16 AM
That's a lie, even if it isn't, and I'll pointlessly argue so until nothing makes sense anymore.

how many times have i felt like this

i love everything 1000 in to sun euphoric dancing

can u keep up

on topic

"due to laws of each country, censorship issues, etc." it makes me wonder if they're going to keep the boob slider. this also makes me think some outfits in the jp version won't end up coming to the us versions for really stupid reasons. i'm definitely staying in the jp server. i've already clocked 200+ hours anyway. if they IP ban US when US gets it's own regional service i'll quit pso2 and be super sad about life. i feel like they may. but the fact that they're both the same company is encouraging. if they were different companies hosting pso2 then i'd be absolutely positive about an IP ban to keep income generation separate. (cherry credits SEA dragon nest vs nexon america dragon nest vs JP hangame dragon nest)

however luckily, sega of american is still connected to sega of japan.

BIG OLAF
Jul 13, 2012, 01:17 AM
My point was whether you were right or wrong about anything on this or any topic isn't of consequence to anyone else, bucko. Bragging about it just makes you look silly, and attracts jerks like me into telling you such.

And you can play the haughty "I don't care" card as much as you like, but we're still having a conversation about you seeking validation for an opinion you had, aren't we.

"Jerks like you", huh? You don't even come close to what I constitute as a "jerk." You're just some guy trying to pick a cheap fight, is all. I notice you do that a lot, too.

Just saying. That's all.

EDIT: Oh, and I really don't care about you or anything you say. True story.

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 01:17 AM
how many times have i felt like this

i love everything 1000 in to sun euphoric dancing

can u keep up

Flame me hard if you lose my breath.

Arika
Jul 13, 2012, 01:18 AM
good luck to those of us rolling characters in the NA version of the game. Sega of America's going to treat us reeeaaal nice, I'm sure.

reaaallllly nice treatment! right?

oh, well I m staying in JP.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 01:18 AM
I want to know though. Why exactly has SoA been lazy in the past? Is there a chance they might try to shape up? (Seeing as how PSO2 is awesome, would they really want to mess that up? )

Managing the game takes time and money. SoA has to ask SoJ about any little thing they want to do with the game, and then has to actually do it, which requires work. And if the money is flowing anyway, why bother spending more? It's not like they advertised the game a lot outside of Japan, so all those events, quests and items are going to do is please the people who are paying for the game already.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 13, 2012, 01:21 AM
gawddammit Sakai.... wtf? *sigh*

RocSage

If you were actually paying attention you would have noticed I predicted...
When the Beta was going to happy
When the Pre-Open was ending
When the Beta would end
When the game would launch
The AC prices
And last but not least
That when they mean global they meant Japanese servers and everyone else servers.

I never said you were wrong about whether it would actually be a global server or not. I and other said and are still right that Edward doesn't know as much as you think he knows and you should stop relying on some low level grunt to get info from since that position is the least informed of anyone that works on a game.

soulpimpwizzurd
Flame me hard if you lose my breath.

i've finally found my true dancing partner where have you been my entire life

Geistritter
And for the record, the ones responsible for most of the fucking up of PSU was Sega of Japan, people. Doesn't change that things are likely to be just as disasterous this time around, but Sega of America doesn't have a damned thing to do with when content comes over or how. Every single part of the development process has to go through Sega of Japan, and when they don't want to do certain things, that's why they don't get done. Not that Sega of America has anything to lose by handling those aspects as lazily as possible.

Oh wait, yes they do. Their jobs. And Edward is still employed with the company. So yeah.

This isn't an attack on Sega of Japan, or a declaration that there's a guarantee they're going to make the same mistakes, but I really get tired of seeing the publisher get the heat for something they largely weren't even responsible for.

PSU's god awful translation decisions were another potential matter, of course, but even that probably gets the final say from Japan. Then again, there's that "Arcs" matter, and we already know what the Japanese have decided on there, so huh.

Keiko_Seisha
Jul 13, 2012, 01:24 AM

I'm keeping my main account on the JP servers, and making an alternate account on the NA servers to play with friends who only play on there.

The way I see it? SoA is on very unstable legs right now. PSO2 may very well be one of their last chances to gain back the ground that has been lost in the past and make themselves somewhat decent again.

So my opinion is that they'll try very hard here, they HAVE to. Thus I'll be giving them the chance they deserve.

EvilMag
Jul 13, 2012, 01:29 AM
R.I.P US PSO2.

Neirene
Jul 13, 2012, 01:29 AM
I still have hopes that SEGA of America might do a better job this time, in my opinion PSU had many issues because the game had many issues since the launch in Japan as well.

Starting with the myroom bug right after the launch, a rushed open beta later on, the need to make a 2nd server, the closure of SEGA link and therefore a extensive migration of accounts, in overall the progress of the game had many holes and obstacles that im sure affected the release and updating of PSU overseas and the release of updates.

With PSO2 I feel it´s a finished product very stable since it was tested and changed several times, and i'm sure the SoA staff will have more ease of access to latest updates in shorter amounts of time along with plenty of liberty to implement new things into the game.

I'm sure they learn from past mistakes with PSOBB and PSU and I still think that they are going to impress us this time once the game gets released.

Dan Maku
Jul 13, 2012, 01:30 AM
Imma still play both JP and US.

PROBLEM?

Totori
Jul 13, 2012, 01:30 AM
Dang, and I thought people would be glad to see english servers, but hey guess I'm wrong. You can't keep getting SEGA down just because of happened to PSU, it wasn't just SOA's fault the fans were to blame also.

Global servers couldn't happen due to how censorship laws are outside of japan, they are pretty stupid I know, but hey what can you do. If you really want to support SOA and hope they can fix it, just give them a chance, we have no idea what the plan is with this title or how thing are going to go down.

I already fully considered playing both, but I'm only sticking on the JP side to hi to a few friends of mine and that's the only reason for me. To enjoy the game it's going to be the localized version of the game, sure a few things might not make overseas, because of the censorship and copyright law, but the core and enjoyment of the game shouldn't be affected right?

mikemanla
Jul 13, 2012, 01:31 AM

PROBLEM?

Same here.

EvilMag
Jul 13, 2012, 01:32 AM
I'm giving them one last chance.

I can bet now SoA knows they can't fuck up.

RocSage
Jul 13, 2012, 01:34 AM
And for the record, the ones responsible for most of the fucking up of PSU was Sega of Japan, people. Doesn't change that things are likely to be just as disasterous this time around, but Sega of America doesn't have a damned thing to do with when content comes over or how. Every single part of the development process has to go through Sega of Japan, and when they don't want to do certain things, that's why they don't get done. Not that Sega of America has anything to lose by handling those aspects as lazily as possible.

Oh wait, yes they do. Their jobs. And Edward is still employed with the company. So yeah.

This isn't an attack on Sega of Japan, or a declaration that there's a guarantee they're going to make the same mistakes, but I really get tired of seeing the publisher get the heat for something they largely weren't even responsible for.

PSU's god awful translation decisions were another potential matter, of course, but even that probably gets the final say from Japan. Then again, there's that "Arcs" matter, and we already know what the Japanese have decided on there, so huh.

Don't get all bule in the face man ^.^

I personally don't see the point of doing a global release if this is what they are doing. All the people that want to play the game are likely already playing the game and those that aren't are likely just waiting for a translated version for the story or something, but we've all seen that the whole story wasn't released in the western Markets and we know people are going to make an english patch or transfer files so that incentive is completely gone.

That along with the fact that the Western servers get shut down sooner than the JP ones just gives more incentive to stay and play on the JP servers rather than the Western Servers. And because it is like this the Western servers will likely not get much attention and die even earlier than normal. Especially know that it is F2P and there are the F2P idiots that come and "beat" the free game and then move on that will clog the servers and not buy anything which will cost a fortune...

To me a PSO2 Western release that isn't a global release is just one huge money wasting venture designed to make SoA and SoE look bad.

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 01:36 AM
I'll two-time both. And if either proves unworthy of my infidelity, I'll be so heartbroken that I'll stay monogamous to one.

Ranmaru
The way I see it? SoA is on very unstable legs right now. PSO2 may very well be one of their last chances to gain back the ground that has been lost in the past and make themselves somewhat decent again.

So my opinion is that they'll try very hard here, they HAVE to. Thus I'll be giving them the chance they deserve.

I agree to this. I'd also give them a chance as well, and I hope they would do something right.

GoldenFalcon
I don't understand the problem being "laws of each country"
Apparently US is fine being paired up with what, 20 European countries, at least

Oh well, can't expect a legitimate reason other than NA/EU games not allowed to try to charge us Japanese currency. Which they could fix with zero issue anyway

Sp-24

Pretty much this. SoA added terrible support to the mix, but slow updates have always been SoJ's fault, and will be, now that they are paying even less attention to the worldwide audience than before (during PSU). Same thing is going to happen to PSO2. Japan ships all of those foreigners abroad, and then decides how to spend money that's coming from a global release on improvements to the Japanese version, which may or may not come out in other parts of the world a year later.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 13, 2012, 01:37 AM
I will play on both, but I am not happy like that I will have TWO versions of the game client taking up hdd space.

I guess I can play JP version half the week and play the US version the other half. *sigh* Still very disappointed with this news...

Micro
Jul 13, 2012, 01:39 AM
Oh well, let's see how this plays out.

Probably playing on both servers unless lolIP bans are dished out or US version is ran like chit.

Totori
From how it sounds, SOJ knows how big the fanbase of PSO2 is and they are more aware, so I would say expect much better service for this game. I know SEGA is going to put more, action into this game. Most companies often make a mistake, sure PSU had it's up and it's down, you have to agree with that.

Vylera

PROBLEM?

YES!

Because you can't have both NA and JP.

Just like how you can't play TERA and GW2 at the same time.

/sarcasm.

EvilMag
Jul 13, 2012, 01:40 AM
Only problem, is SoA actually put in the effort to advertise the game?

Xaeris
Jul 13, 2012, 01:43 AM
No global servers? Whelp, that settles that. I guess all that's left to do is hope that the yen stops violating the dollar sans lube soon.

Well, I'll throw the NA version a bone and make a character there. Like Keiko says, they have motivation to not **** this up this time. Plus, since their income relies on new content, being a F2P game now, they kinda have to keep up with updates to get paid this time around, instead of sitting on dwindling subs. Still, I'm not buying crap until they've shown me they have a handle on this. I'm not holding my breath.

Chik'Tikka
lol, maybe Sega use same English patch to speed up release of official English option in launcher, if they do that (no reason why not) then I'd never even look at US servers+^_^+

gravityvx
YES!

Just like how you can't play TERA and GW2 at the same time.

/sarcasm.

But you can't. /srs

Totori
Jul 13, 2012, 01:44 AM

I'm sure they will, I mean SOA is taking the approach to digital games, so it would seem into their strategy

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 01:45 AM

They MIGHT think the Facebook page's all the advertising it needs...

Arika
Jul 13, 2012, 01:47 AM
From how it sounds, SOJ knows how big the fanbase of PSO2 is and they are more aware, so I would say expect much better service for this game. I know SEGA is going to put more, action into this game. Most companies often make a mistake, sure PSU had it's up and it's down, you have to agree with that.

not just PSU tho.
it gone since
PSOBB
PSU
PSPo1
PSPo2
PSPo2I

all with lack content and no support.

If they just mistakes it once, I think most people here would agree to give them another chance.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
They are also using the same "not the same laws" excuse to not give players shared servers that KOEI used to put an IP ban on foreign IPs. Just in case you need a hint on what else to expect.

RocSage
Jul 13, 2012, 01:51 AM
not just PSU tho.
it gone since
PSOBB
PSU
PSPo1
PSPo2
PSPo2I

If they just mistakes it once, I think most people here would agree to give them another chance.

No...

This has gone on since before PSOv1 launched

Just because it was the same servers did not mean that the costumers got the same treatment.

Arika
They are also using the same "not the same laws" excuse to not give players shared servers that KOEI used to put an IP ban on foreign IPs. Just in case you need a hint on what else to expect.

same excused as in PSU-jp, yet nobody ever seen an IP ban. they love money, and they know we pay GC is all their asked.

By region stand point, they just can't show it directly that they want foreign money from us, but they do it secretly.

No...

This has gone on since before PSOv1 launched

Just because it was the same servers did not mean that the costumers got the same treatment.

By the person I quote from about "giving SoA a chance". I have to count from the split of the server, so that it is surely SoA responsible.

Dan Maku
I will play on both, but I am not happy like that I will have TWO versions of the game client taking up hdd space.

I guess I can play JP version half the week and play the US version the other half. *sigh* Still very disappointed with this news...

The game install sizes is a mere four gigs for the JP version. I don't imagine the US version being all that bigger.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 01:57 AM
same excused as in PSU-jp, yet nobody ever seen an IP ban. they love money, and they know we pay GC is all their asked.

By region stand point, they just can't show it directly that they want foreign money from us, but they do it secretly.

IMO, they wouldn't want freeloaders to clog 1337 JP servers and win interrupt rankings when they have their own reservation, either. Guess we will need to see an updated ToS to see which way it plays, since the current one still states that the game is in Beta stage, which it may as well be in, with all those maintenances.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 13, 2012, 01:58 AM
My PSO 2 Folder says the game client and related files are about 6 ~7 GB

Totori
Jul 13, 2012, 01:59 AM
not just PSU tho.
it gone since
PSOBB
PSU
PSPo1
PSPo2
PSPo2I

That's not true, they all got the "no support" because of one major factor "censorship" and if this factor wasn't in place I'm sure we wouldn't really be a change from the JP to the EN versions of these titles.

Everything that was "meant" for this game was included, only the "extra" things were not, such as bonuses, and collabs.

PSPo2I, I guess is slightly different, it didn't get release because the PSP was already dieing most companies outside of Japan knew about this. Also SOA couldn't afford to lose anymore money from bringing over a game that wouldn't even sell.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 01:59 AM
"Jerks like you", huh? You don't even come close to what I constitute as a "jerk."

Flatterer.

You're just some guy trying to pick a cheap fight, is all.

Well, I wouldn't pay money to argue with you. You're not that much fun, cripes.

I notice you do that a lot, too.

I'm just not subtle. If you're being a prick, I'll tell you so.

You were, by the way.

EDIT: Oh, and I really don't care about you or anything you say. True story.

Yet you keep trying to prove something to me anyway. Perfectly logical.

Kanore
Jul 13, 2012, 02:01 AM
they were shocked at the speed at which this game was translated?

they're really out of touch with their western demographic it's so awful

BIG OLAF
Jul 13, 2012, 02:04 AM
I'm just not subtle. If you're being a prick, I'll tell you so.

You were, by the way.

Good. I'll continue to be, too.

Yet you keep trying to prove something to me anyway. Perfectly logical.

Not trying to prove anything. Just pointing out that you're an annoying scumbag. Also, I'm bored since PSO2 is currently unavailable.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 02:06 AM

Most countries think every other country's a bunch of seven-headed mutants, to be fair, and are always shocked when they find out otherwise.

On the other hand, western developers tend to be more receptive of these sorts of things. Most Japanese developers seem to have a weird sort of disdain for westerners.

Dan Maku
Jul 13, 2012, 02:06 AM
My PSO 2 Folder says the game client and related files are about 6 ~7 GB

Mine reads 4.5GB for the main game's folder. I dunno about the whole SEGA folder (it also has the CC demo), but I still have gigs to spare.

Zalgadas
Jul 13, 2012, 02:07 AM
Something Something, Free to play, something something, both releases, something something.

Vylera
Jul 13, 2012, 02:07 AM

We're out of touch with them, too.

And we're playing their games.

Totori
Jul 13, 2012, 02:08 AM
Most of the game is server-side, to stop excessive loading. PSU's size is QUITE big, if you have to count all of the data that the server runs.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 02:10 AM
http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012075/20120706038/TN/016.jpg

man he looks so convincing i can't not buy AC

Arika
Jul 13, 2012, 02:14 AM
That's not true, they all got the "no support" because of one major factor "censorship" and if this factor wasn't in place I'm sure we wouldn't really be a change from the JP to the EN versions of these titles.

Everything that was "meant" for this game was included, only the "extra" things were not, such as bonuses, and collabs.

PSPo2I, I guess is slightly different, it didn't get release because the PSP was already dieing most companies outside of Japan knew about this. Also SOA couldn't afford to lose anymore money from bringing over a game that wouldn't even sell.

PSOBB case,
I wonder what do you mean by censor ship? and how was that the reason that PSOBB get no support?

PSU case,
huge delay and updated. skip of events, and bad customer support, I wonder what is the censor ship related to it?

portable case,
it is not just bonus, the game wasn't updated and they not unlock new mission for western side so a lot of weapon weren't obtainable without cheat. then the sequences whereas JP get a lot of events and new missions, EN also miss it.

In the end, we can learn from the history to predict what is going to happen. Not to mention that everybody know SoA is on its crisis right now. They have no fund, and their won't have many employees to support project either. I m not even sure if they will be able to hire so many good VA to dub on those all scripts we have in each story event. JP got a lot of good well known VA to do the work. Will they be able to hire enough people to deal with the hacker issue? Surely that hackers will turn their aim to hack EN server instead, once it released.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 02:16 AM
Good. I'll continue to be, too.

Then we will speak again in the future. What fun we shall have.

Not trying to prove anything. Just pointing out that you're an annoying scumbag.

Wow, really?

I hope when you get to be my age, you've learned some better retorts; they're not supposed to make the other person grin. Bad form.

Of course, when you get to be my age, you'll hopefully be mature enough not to argue with teenagers over the internet. That boat passed me by some time ago. I regret nothing.

Snitch
Jul 13, 2012, 02:19 AM
Hmmmm this makes me a sad cat... But there is still hope for us to make what we want ;)

If anyone here played FFXI, and did some .DAT switching they know where im going with this. Suddenly we are still on JP servers, but with files from the english client :P

But I still dont understand what the problem is, censourships smensorships.. LOL Other companies can do global so can Sega japan ;) They just have to try harder!

Arika
Jul 13, 2012, 02:19 AM
^
^
predict that this thread is going to get locked soon, if Big loaf and geistter still on it.

If anyone here played FFXI, and did some .DAT switching they know where im going with this. Suddenly we are still on JP servers, but with files from the english client :P

While I replaced my music files, I could make my JP PSU story to run with English VA instead. So the theory to use english language from english client into JP client is very possible. Just need to know the position.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 02:20 AM
I REGRET NOTHING!

fixed

growing up means getting better at being right or at least sounding right lol

man y am i so young i need age pills i'm wrong every day or at least i sound wrong

Fujiko
Jul 13, 2012, 02:24 AM
Wonder what "laws" he means. If each region has to be tailored to the laws, wouldn't NA and EU PSO2 servers have to be separated too?

Also how did FFXI/XIV get around these "laws"? Must be that censorship thing.

Mike
Jul 13, 2012, 02:33 AM
Wonder what "laws" he means. If each region has to be tailored to the laws, wouldn't NA and EU PSO2 servers have to be separated too?

Also how did FFXI/XIV get around these "laws"? Must be that censorship thing.
I don't see anything on censorship but the bit Kimura, the director, mentions laws is this part here:

サービス時期がどうしてもずれてしまうことや,有料アイテムの販売などについては,国ごとに法律が異なるの で,同一サーバーでの運用は難しいという部分があるんです。

Essentially, because the laws in each country regarding cash shops are different.

EDIT: And try to stay on topic.

Twigod
Jul 13, 2012, 02:36 AM
Japanese servers it is. I'll learn what Photon Arts are one of these days...

RocSage
Jul 13, 2012, 02:38 AM
fixed

growing up means getting better at being right or at least sounding right lol

man y am i so young i need age pills i'm wrong every day or at least i sound wrong

Growing up means that your an idiot more often and people will defend you because you're older than the person questioning you, or they'll sigh and say the entire generation is messed up instead of dealing with the issue.

Being mature means that when you do something you own up to it, meaning you accept the consequences of your actions, whether they be good or bad. It has nothing to do with acting right, but more so understanding that you're being a jackass and when someone says you are and punches you you don't go act like you weren't...although paradoxically if you are being a jackass, whether you are mature or not, means you most likely would deny that you were, but that doesn't necessarily disqualify you from being mature.

Coincidentally, Colloquially, being mature to a kid means acting like a jackass and getting away with it while being mature to an adult tends to means not being loud, creative, have dreams, and a host of other things that are considered flighty. Ironic enough, if you have ever said grow up or you're acting immature you were likely an immature idiot at the time ^.^

BIG OLAF
Jul 13, 2012, 02:38 AM
I hope when you get to be my age, you've learned some better retorts; they're not supposed to make the other person grin. Bad form.

Of course, when you get to be my age, you'll hopefully be mature enough not to argue with teenagers over the internet.

Bringing age into anything as a means of implied superiority or higher intellect makes you (you guessed it) a scumbag.

predict that this thread is going to get locked soon, if Big loaf and geistter still on it.

I apologize. I'm done now. But, please, don't call me "Big Loaf." It reminds me of all those dumb Halo kiddies back in the day...oh man.

Arika
Jul 13, 2012, 02:39 AM
oh sorry, I missed the "O" in front.

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 02:51 AM
Bringing age into anything as a means of implied superiority or higher intellect makes you (you guessed it) a scumbag.

And accusing someone of talking themselves up immediately after they insult themselves (twice!) for comedic effect proves you thick. In a way akin to a fond smack on the back (if one with a bit more force than is necessary), I was expressing hope that you will in time grow wise.

That hope is quickly fading, but that's another matter entirely.

Essentially, because the laws in each country regarding cash shops are different.

Still smells like a hand-wave; there are dozens of games with cash shops in North America, including games developed by North Americans. I have a feeling that what small differences there are, if any at all, could be accommodated for in the game model.

Oh, and "Big Loaf" was pretty amusing. I wish the horrible butchery they inflicted on my user name got to be another word. im jely

Quadocky
Jul 13, 2012, 02:52 AM
Fine! Stay on your stinky Japanese Server. Us Americans will be very happy without you Anti-American Traitors.

USA! USA! USA!

But really though, you guys are asking a lot of a company. Games is hard to make and upkeep.

Totori
Jul 13, 2012, 02:52 AM
PSOBB case,
I wonder what do you mean by censor ship? and how was that the reason that PSOBB get no support?

PSU case,
huge delay and updated. skip of events, and bad customer support, I wonder what is the censor ship related to it?

portable case,
it is not just bonus, the game wasn't updated and they not unlock new mission for western side so a lot of weapon weren't obtainable without cheat. then the sequences whereas JP get a lot of events and new missions, EN also miss it.

In the end, we can learn from the history to predict what is going to happen. Not to mention that everybody know SoA is on its crisis right now. They have no fund, and their won't have many employees to support project either. I m not even sure if they will be able to hire so many good VA to dub on those all scripts we have in each story event. JP got a lot of good well known VA to do the work. Will they be able to hire enough people to deal with the hacker issue? Surely that hackers will turn their aim to hack EN server instead, once it released.

The censorship in PSOBB, is related to the events like "Famitsu" it has no being outside Japan.
For PSU, slow updates, because the game had to go through QUITE a lot to be localized. Such as translation and then coding it for the 360 side also, then bug test it, that takes much more time for SOJ to handle that and the PC JP side.

For Portable:
The missions we missed, IIRC they are related to an event or collab in Japan, it makes no sense for it to be released overseas.

Most games that are brought over have issues, that occur if you don't believe me look up some JPRG's that were translated.

Joe Friday
Jul 13, 2012, 02:53 AM
I'm not surprised, been expecting this.

It's nice that Sakai mentioned the fan translations, but it might have been even nicer if he had given us the tools to add English to the game. No need to pay us for fan translations, just let us play on the game and shower you with AC as thanks. :P

I'll still give the US/EU version a shot, and keep the JP account alive in case things go pear-shaped. Edward has already mentioned that Sega want to do a far better job of updating PSO2 than they did with PSU, so hopefully the management are thinking along the same lines as him. After all, it's a F2P title and they have to keep adding new content in order to keep the cash flowing in!

Geistritter
Jul 13, 2012, 02:57 AM
The arguably ridiculous commercialization of the series is an aspect to consider as well, yes. Nearly all of it can't work outside of Japan.

They haven't done any of that in this game though. Not yet, anyway.

It's nice that Sakai mentioned the fan translations, but it might have been even nicer if he had given us the tools to add English to the game. No need to pay us for fan translations, just let us play on the game and shower you with AC as thanks. :P

I'll still give the US/EU version a shot, and keep the JP account alive in case things go pear-shaped. Edward has already mentioned that Sega want to do a far better job of updating PSO2 than they did with PSU, so hopefully the management are thinking along the same lines as him. After all, it's a F2P title and they have to keep adding new content in order to keep the cash flowing in!

The problem is that that's the same thing they have to do when the game isn't free to play, and the lack thereof is why many people stopped paying. The business model doesn't matter; poor service isn't going to keep anyone around for long, not when there are companies like Blizzard who will turn themselves inside-out to save a sale.

Noblewine
Jul 13, 2012, 02:58 AM
I can't read any of it but if i have to play on the JP hub to atleast see the game first hand; I might as well give it a shot. Even if it means dealing with the language barrier.

Mike
Jul 13, 2012, 03:04 AM
For Portable:
The missions we missed, IIRC they are related to an event or collab in Japan, it makes no sense for it to be released overseas.
Only some of them were collaboration missions. The non-Japanese version didn't get any missions and thus missed out on a large number of weapons and items.

mctastee
Jul 13, 2012, 03:25 AM
Just a Rappy? Not a Vol Dragon or anything cooler? C'mon now.
I am on a rappy that's on a rockbear that's on a vol dragon that's on dark ragne that's on a big vader. Your argument has never been so invalid.

Zorafim
Jul 13, 2012, 03:40 AM
I don't get it. The series has been coming out with games in the US since around the time of my birth, and they're surprised they have fans here? Did they really realize how bad of a job they did last time?

I'm also amazed how much I want a localization of the game, and how little I want SoA to do it. As it is, I'm behind on story, and having a ton of trouble trying to get these guys to shut up and take my money via AC. And I know I don't want them to put in the extra effort to try and make that easier for me, because I know I won't enjoy what they give me. If I could just modify the client side game files, that's all I'd need.

I wonder if they'll get to thinking about their overseas service if there are more english speakers on the japanese servers than american.

sugarFO
Jul 13, 2012, 03:41 AM
Maybe our Japanese friends will write letters to Sakai about our plight? Lol.

Totori
Jul 13, 2012, 03:41 AM
Only some of them were collaboration missions. The non-Japanese version didn't get any missions and thus missed out on a large number of weapons and items.

I don't really recall the large number, but it's pretty normal when games are localized to a different language. Nothing was cut for no reason, is basically what I am saying.

Mike
Jul 13, 2012, 03:42 AM
I don't get it. The series has been coming out with games in the US since around the time of my birth, and they're surprised they have fans here? Did they really realize how bad of a job they did last time?
They were surprised at how fast the English patch for the character came out.

I don't really recall the large number, but it's pretty normal when games are localized to a different language. Nothing was cut for no reason, is basically what I am saying.
The missions were cut because of SoA probably didn't want to spend the money hosting the files. There were 3 collaboration missions as opposed to 11 regular missions. The end result was that some items, end game items in particular, were not obtainable without cheating. Players were permanently locked out of content that they had purchased.

Zorafim
Jul 13, 2012, 03:45 AM
Ah... I should probably just not post on the forums at 4am.

So they're gonna make things easy on us and unencrypt the language files so people can patch up the game, right?

Macman
Jul 13, 2012, 03:47 AM
^
^
Big loaf. That's a good one, heh.

Anyway I'm gonna play on NA/EU, but keep a foot in JP so I don't sink with the rusty, hole-riddled english ship.

Runehades
Jul 13, 2012, 03:51 AM
Look I understand SoJ doesn't have to release anything outside of Japan. In fact for the most part Japanese video game companies don't release anything outside of the country or want games from anyone else in Japan. It's their call in this case and not up to SoA. I appreciate the fact that they're even releasing the game in the west but at the same time am tired of feeling forsaken or forced to wait for the same things they release there.

They get the game sooner which is understandable however as many stated there are so many extras, events and goodies that never see the light here or get released later. If they want to release the game here later and have separate servers its all fine and good, just wish we'd get the same quality, service and extras they get.

I'll use the biggest MMO/online company Blizzard as an example here. They have separate servers and regions but they release games globally and everyone gets the same service and treatment. We NA don't get the games first or get a headstart in progress, its all equal ground. As much as people hate Blizzard they should take a page from their book at least in that aspect.

In this day and age of digital downloads its not like they need to ship any physical copies overseas that would need to get printed and translated in English or any other language. The delay excuse is simply what it is.

It's too soon to tell but if history has taught us anything we'll probably end up being the forgotten child again. Still I refuse to play in the Japanese servers. I'm not playing where I'm not wanted and that's that.

Again I'll repeat, I don't have a problem with separate servers I just don't want to put in hours and money into a game that may or may not be around within a few years. When it gets released here I just would like to have equality.

I've supported Sega since the Master System and still have every game system they've made since then. I've been a huge Phantasy Star fan since part 1 released in 1987, have every PS game and have kept supporting the company since. I just wish they'd return the favor.

Snitch
Jul 13, 2012, 03:51 AM
I still don't understand. The more I think about it less I understand...

Rules on buying ingame content = different in each country. Ok... lol

Like it is today with JP servers, if I want to buy some AC i do it via Webmoney or directly on their site.. And the Norwegian rules dont apply. But Sega gets their money and I get my ingame stuff.

So why dont they just give us an option to view pso2.jp in english, just press a simple button and voila its english. And then u buy some AC Sega japan gets paid u get items. If they have the servers in japan, all payment goes into japan. What is the problem ? All they need to do is translate everything. And just add subs to ingame voice... jeebuz. :P

Its not that hard. Im guessing Sega europe and USA wants their bite of this cake. And its high up in the Sega Chain. So meh money screws us over yet another time.... :(

Totori
Jul 13, 2012, 03:54 AM
The missions were cut because of SoA probably didn't want to spend the money hosting the files. There were 3 collaboration missions as opposed to 11 regular missions. The end result was that some items, end game items in particular, were not obtainable without cheating. Players were permanently locked out of content that they had purchased.

Hrm, that's just something that happens with localized games, but the 90% of the actual game was localized, even if every single spec of dust couldn't be.

So why dont they just give us an option to view pso2.jp in english, just press a simple button and voila its english. And then u buy some AC Sega japan gets paid u get items. If they have the servers in japan, all payment goes into japan. What is the problem ? All they need to do is translate everything. And just add subs to ingame voice... jeebuz. :P

Its not that hard. Im guessing Sega europe and USA wants their bite of this cake. And its high up in the Sega Chain. So meh money screws us over yet another time.... :(

It's extra programing, also because SOJ isn't exactly fluent in english it's quite hard to moderate the english speaking community. It's actually a lot of work unground

Snitch
Jul 13, 2012, 04:00 AM
Hrm, that's just something that happens with localized games, but the 90% of the actual game was localized, even if every single spec of dust couldn't be.

It's extra programing, also because SOJ isn't exactly fluent in english it's quite hard to moderate the english speaking community. It's actually a lot of work unground

Just dont give that good service then.. Id rather have poor service in english then like we had it in PSU NA/EU. I still bring out the example FFXI, where the service was rather poor, or non excisting at times. But ppl stil play.

Im guessing its money issue, it is a rather big company.

ashley50
Jul 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
bump so people can see the actual thread that has information.

Zeota
Jul 13, 2012, 07:38 AM
See you hold-outs again in 2014-15 when they pull the plug! :P

JP4life!

In all seriousness though, I'm sure they could've found at least some way around the money laws.

Would've been an interesting way to showcase Thanksgiving or the 4th of July though. Turkey costumes, fireworks etc.

Cyrusnagisa
Jul 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
I call BS on their excuses to be honest....... they could setup the cash shops differently in each country but still have everyone connect to the same servers -.-

Akaimizu
Jul 13, 2012, 08:36 AM
Still makes you wonder how other companies get away with combined servers. Even a smaller company like Gameloft pulled it off with their massive multiplayer mobile game Order and chaos with microtransactions. Licensing does make sense so they may have to limit material for those with licensing issues; however, that's as simple as just not making those specifics available. What people have issues with is the lack of stuff and missions that have no license issue because it's all SEGA international property. Again, smaller teams have done this before and still do.

Metalsnake27
Jul 13, 2012, 08:40 AM
I think I'll do like what some users said: Try out the US version and if it sucks, stay with JPN.

I just hope Sega of America doesn't start the game from square 1..... oh what the heck am I saying, of course they will.

Doesn't really matter anyways since we are not supposed to be on the JPN server in the first place. It's a privilege that they are actually letting us play on there.

And if they IP Block when the NA/EU server comes out.... oh well.

BogusKun
Jul 13, 2012, 08:41 AM

There will be a new Yscariot called Yscariot20 who will just stand in the lobby everyday.

He caused Ryu20 to involuntarily fuse with him, and just stands in the lobby.

BogusKun
Jul 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
In all seriousness though, I'm sure they could've found at least some way around the money laws.

I don't agree with the many YouTube slaves on this but one word comes to mind when it comes to a resolution for this.

Illuminati.

Illuminati must take control of PSO2. They are so mighty.

Akaimizu
Jul 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
Funny enough, they talked about how fans translated their game so incredibly fast. Maybe SEGA needs to hire them as they'd get stuff localized in a jiffy. No issue about waiting a long time to release. Well, save one. That is, the issue of voice acting. Seems, even these days, it seems that Japanese VO can also get wrapped in red-tape just trying to have it exist in another market.

Zeota
Jul 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
Funny enough, they talked about how fans translated their game so incredibly fast. Maybe SEGA needs to hire them as they'd get stuff localized in a jiffy. No issue about waiting a long time to release. Well, save one. That is, the issue of voice acting. Seems, even these days, it seems that Japanese VO can also get wrapped in red-tape just trying to have it exist in another market.

That only works if it's Valve. Everyone else just sics their lawyers on the fans who do such things and usually end up having a better product than them.

Vashyron
Jul 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
Watch the completion scratch system be back in the US/EU version.

Galerianx
Jul 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
all am gonna say is Sega restructure is gonna play a big roll in this :S

Gardios
Jul 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
Funny enough, they talked about how fans translated their game so incredibly fast. Maybe SEGA needs to hire them as they'd get stuff localized in a jiffy.

The thing is, fan translations as quick as this more often than not "only translate" while ignoring all nuances like character quirks, terminology or allusions to future events (which they simply can't take into consideration). Not to mention that the script is not edited.

Translating things like the character creator or menus can usually be done relatively quickly, but everything beyond that will take way, way longer.

iwerkout
Jul 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
not just PSU tho.
it gone since
PSOBB
PSU
PSPo1
PSPo2
PSPo2I

Right as usual Arkia. From SoA's past history, they have done nothing for us over here. I wouldn't blame you from expecting the same thing, yet again lol.
As horrible as PSU was made to be, I still fully enjoyed the game. I played it constantly for years, so I still agree things really could of gone better, but for what little they did, Sega of America kept my interests in this franchise so I have to be respectful of that.

Yeah this is something I don't fully understand from a business point of view either. Why do they want me to move to a whole new server and give less of my money to someone else? I think Sega could keep a hefty flow of cash coming in if they just gave us an English translation of the Japanese client. We would pay more for yen and be giving it straight to them, instead of using SoA as the middle man.

Something to remember though, Japanese games have always tended to only be released in Japan. (This started as early as Mario days.) It's just a custom there I spose. But! If you think about it a little, it will make sense. There are a lot more rules and regulations out now a days then back in 2000. Even if it was just customary before, now it is legal issues that arise. Just because we can't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there. Unless you are already an owner of a billion dollar multi-national corporation and totally understand them all.
There are many reasons for this which is why Sega of America exists at all. To be fair, us 'Mericans aren't the "best" of people when it comes to the internet, so I can see that being another factor into the matter of separate servers.

Lots of stuff.

I don't blame you for doing that Rune. Sure the Japanese servers weren't built for us English folk, but that doesn't make the game unplayable. I would place your blame on Sega of America. If anything, please understand it's just a game. I understand, TRUST ME I understand the frustration of falling in love with something just to have it fall apart in front of your eyes. Maybe you should just opt to support Sega, the company who did found PSO and actually keeps up their updates, rather then the one that has failed you so often.
I guarantee you that PSO2 was created with the intended purpose to be released globally and nothing was designed to specifically "leave out" anyone. Leave your grudges behind my friend. It is only a game so no reason to be so uptight. :)

All in all, who really knows? Maybe SoA has changed and things will be different. Hell, maybe SoA won't even be in the picture! Either way, please just be grateful that Sega is making a separate server just for us. It's unfortunate that we can't all play together like we used to, but let bygones be bygones. If you're fine with the JP server, then stay there. If you really wish to be on an English server, then great! If you honestly don't care either way, then ppffftt.
Let's just give it a chance guys. Worst to worst, there will always be a PSO2 for us to play. May not be what we preferred, but it's better then no option at all.

I will be on both servers. If one turns out better then the other, I'll just main there lol! It's not a big deal for me. As much as I love this game and hope to continally play it for a long time to come, my life will not end if something arises and I am unable to play it. I wish everyone else wouldn't lose sight of this. :roll:

Metalsnake27
Jul 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
Well said, all we can do is hope for the best.

The things that will draw a larger player-base into PSO2 is mainly the F2P factor, and a bigger name of PSO, which will get fans going.

And then many other sites will look into the game, advertise it with first looks and what not, which will hopefully get even more players.

I just hope the game lasts..... like DWO it might be very popular for the first 2 months, but then die because of terrible service.

Zyrusticae
Jul 13, 2012, 09:54 AM

Quoting this for truthiness.

NA/EU PSO2 was doomed from the outset. No way SoJ is ever going to suddenly wake up and say "we respect our gaijin customers!", that's like getting a Rhino to not crap so much and so loudly. Good luck with that!

iwerkout
Jul 13, 2012, 09:58 AM

NA/EU PSO2 was doomed from the outset. No way SoJ is ever going to suddenly wake up and say "we respect our gaijin customers!", that's like getting a Rhino to not crap so much and so loudly. Good luck with that!

Very unique uh... description there.
I fail to see the connection of this metaphor sadly. :-?

Peejay
Jul 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
Wait, if Sega can't get away with it...

How the hell can a backwater company like Cyberstep do it?

Metalsnake27
Jul 13, 2012, 10:11 AM

Isn't this the same with a lot of english games these days?

Usually WAY far behind the asian counter-part, or starts the game literally from square one. Pretty much any Nexon game is a great example, and takes them way too long to deliver updates.

But again, just be glad that they actually decided to localize the game.

Wait, if Sega can't get away with it...

How the hell can a backwater company like Cyberstep do it?

No idea. I hate cyber-step anyways. The premium stuff is ridiculous, price-wise and balance wise.

raiden55
Jul 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
say goodbye to little fonewearl

Jakosifer
Jul 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
This series' Western Fanbase is pretty damn wishy washy.

Closed Beta - When are we getting localization info?
Post localization info - I'm staying on JP servers boo brah brah brah

Crysteon
Jul 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
Well, this is lovely. Sakai has doomed the US servers already....but his points are kinda understandable. I guess I'll keep suporting the JP version \o/.

Cranberry
Jul 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
I don't really buy the "different laws" excuse. I mean PSU 360 is global right now. The Japanese can play on PSU 360 with us (they generally choose not to since their PC version is so superior and free but they CAN go on 360 with us if they wish).

Honestly this is frustrating. We asked for one thing. ONE THING. Global servers. Fans have essentially begged and pleaded with Sega for this one thing, and they didn't do it.

*sigh*

Ryuujin13
Jul 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
Why is everyone freaking out? yes it is a little disappointing that it wont be a global release, but if you are going to predict a PSU repeat and stay away from NA-pso2 then it most likely will repeat. Show some support for the NA game and it will most likely be A-ok.

I also have to agree with another poster that mentioned that a lot of the players probably just don't want to lose their JP character by having to start over. Have you ever thought that now that you have all of this PSO2 knowledge that you can use it to lvl up faster and make a better char?

Galerianx
Jul 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
i play pso2j for fun i dont go on it every day to lv up to get in to the new areas and wen it comes to na/en ill be starting all over again so i can read every thing in english with out looking at the guides 24/7 to get where am going the story is a most for pso games playing it and not knoing what is going on is just not fun at all
and remember games come and go get over
and for the people who say there gonna stay on psoj just remember one thing wen the na/en comes out soj can ip block us but there not till its out for us

Peejay
Jul 13, 2012, 11:31 AM

We aren't wishy-washy at all. We wanted truly global servers so that Sega of America, with their terrible reputation/track record, doesn't abuse the community like it has for years. Even if this game can make the whole company succeed, I can't put any faith at all in the American branch.

RahvinWT
Jul 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Why is everyone freaking out? yes it is a little disappointing that it wont be a global release, but if you are going to predict a PSU repeat and stay away from NA-pso2 then it most likely will repeat. Show some support for the NA game and it will most likely be A-ok.

I also have to agree with another poster that mentioned that a lot of the players probably just don't want to lose their JP character by having to start over. Have you ever thought that now that you have all of this PSO2 knowledge that you can use it to lvl up faster and make a better char?

Has absolutely nothing with losing a character, it's more along the lines of a service standpoint. PSU PC got no updates for months and players were compensated with 3 star luck for everyone and a crappy fluff event (my apologies for not remembering the event name) that was intended to be "game content". If anything came after that, (maybe GBR? I don't remember the timeline too much) The wife and I quit soon after that.

If you played PSU up to that point you were still paying a subscription for basically nothing. So of course a few players feel a bit burnt by SoA. Disappointed is being nice about it.

Akaimizu
Jul 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
The thing is, fan translations as quick as this more often than not "only translate" while ignoring all nuances like character quirks, terminology or allusions to future events (which they simply can't take into consideration). Not to mention that the script is not edited.

Translating things like the character creator or menus can usually be done relatively quickly, but everything beyond that will take way, way longer.

But that's part of the point. It actually is a very easy process to take the fan translation as a literal and reshape it to the mannerisms you want especially since the main point of the conversation is already translated. It's the first part that usually takes the longest time. The character quirk aspect is the lesser issue.

Zyrusticae
Jul 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
Very unique uh... description there.
I fail to see the connection of this metaphor sadly. :-?
I was saying it's within their nature to disappoint their overseas playerbase with sub-par support.

Isn't this the same with a lot of english games these days?

Usually WAY far behind the asian counter-part, or starts the game literally from square one. Pretty much any Nexon game is a great example, and takes them way too long to deliver updates.

But again, just be glad that they actually decided to localize the game.

Well, yes, and that's why I am not actually glad they decided to "localize" the game, because it's going to be half-assed and not very good at all. Everyone else sucking does not exonerate them.

Ohnoes, people have DIFFERENT OPINIONS! Gasp! This is impossible! They must be the same people who are flip-flopping on one issue, there's no way people could possibly be different!

No... no, not really. Sega of Japan has no great motivation to give the overseas servers the same level of support as their home servers. We're a smaller player base, will probably always be the smaller player base, and we're finicky and demanding and frequently don't play well with Japanese sensibilities besides (see: all the guys complaining about "immersion" when they release their joke outfits). And lots of folks complain about F2P because... um, let's face it, they're cheap. Really cheap. Stingy, even.

So yeah. Not getting better. Wouldn't get better even if we did start throwing piles of money at them. They just don't care.

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 11:54 AM
Made a petition to anybody that actually cares about making a difference! Instead of whining about it how about doing something about it?

Akaimizu
Jul 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
You do realize a number of petitions that went out in the past. Maybe another one will work. pso-world wasn't built yesterday. A lot of these things were tried time and time again. It wasn't a case of "oh, one disappointment" and people hung their heads and said 'Man we're getting screwed."

The main reason PSO, in its day, wasn't getting much flak for the lack of support was more due to the ignorance of the masses about the Japanese content. People were generally less-informed about what features were available overseas. But boy did the petitions really pick up during PSU, PSZ, PSP, PSP2, PSP2i. I think the only one that got merit was that PSP2 did indeed come over with a majority of the content intact. Probably their closest to full translation effort yet. Of course, even that is tarnished with the idea that the Digital version of the game is yanked from US PSN, so no one can buy the game unless it is the UMD version. Technically screwing over Vita players and those who were waiting to pick it up at the same time. And what about all the people who wrote up about getting it back on PSN? Ignored.

Alas, one of the true spirits of PSO is gone forever. The original intention that PSO was to be a global community. It's why the game adopted the "Beat" time system which is the same no matter where you are in the world. You arrange your meetings by Beat time. It is the reason the original had so many provisions to pick out text (for most situations) to say, which would be auto-translated to the other clients, allowing people of a number of languages to play and communicate.

The idea of "We are all in this together", which was a major aspect of PSO, is the thing that is most lost with the followups. Hardly anyone ever followed that route, even they themselves. I think only Square-Enix's FFXI is the last vestige of that thought, having some form of auto-translated text function.

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Made a petition to anybody that actually cares about making a difference! Instead of whining about it how about doing something about it?

And what's your flashy solution?

For the love of God, this is a friggin' game. I'm not going to sacrifice my time, money and stomach acidity for a server that is not going to satisfy me. I shouldn't be the one making a difference, they should be the ones selling the game so I actually wanna play it there. It's not me who is abandoning SoA this time by going to the JP servers, it's them who kicked me out of their servers when I was actually giving them money to make PSU a good game and all they did was to give Double Sabers to Guntechers.

Or do you actually go to the crapiest, closest grocery store in your neighbourhood and throw money at them so they improve their stuff quality, instead of just going to the better shop two streets further? Is not our responsability to make them put a good server, is theirs.

NoiseHERO
Jul 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
Here we go with the unpopular videogame "Let's pretend people actually care" petitions...

Crysteon
Jul 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
Here we go with the unpopular videogame "Let's pretend people actually care" petitions...

Close enough.... :fuckyeah:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198167

Darki
I cared enough during the years I struggled to play PSU.

Thermalwolf
And what's your flashy solution?

For the love of God, this is a friggin' game. I'm not going to sacrifice my time, money and stomach acidity for a server that is not going to satisfy me. I shouldn't be the one making a difference, they should be the ones selling the game so I actually wanna play it there. Is not me who is abandoning SoA this time by going to the JP servers, it's them who kicked me out of their servers when I was actually giving them money to make PSU a good game and all they did was to give Double Sabers to Guntechers.

Or do you actually go to the crapiest, closest grocery store in your neighbourhood and throw money at them so they improve their stuff quality, instead of just going to the better shop two streets further? Is not our responsability to make them put a good server, is theirs.

There is not flashy solution but boycotting like an asshole is just stupid. It may not be our responsibility, but if you have any dislike towards there choices then you should try and voice your opinion properly and sign a petition or do something besides just dropping the game all together to go to another server.

You seem very angry, but instead of taking that anger and venting it into something useful, you would rather target and insult me instead. You're pathetic, atleast I give a damn enough to try something unlike everyone else who are whining like a bunch of babies and won't do anything.

Zyrusticae
Jul 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
[snip]
I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand how capitalism works...

DemonMike
Jul 13, 2012, 12:08 PM

Hahaha thanks for the laugh. Pretty ironic calling out people for whining about it on a forum that's about the game when all you've really done is create an e-petition that is basically the same thing.

Although I can't see any of this changing due to logistical problems such as translations being done in time for content updates and varying local laws that must be adhered to, here's a good suggestion for those who would like global servers:

Vote with your money. Although this game is free to play, the life blood of it is the cash generated by AC items. On the NA/EU version, if you're one of those people who want global servers, don't give them any money. It's that simple.

If, however, you are intending to play the NA/EU version and don't mind the fact the server isn't global, do as you please and I really hope for your sake they don't mess you around with content updates.

Alternative methods for those who want global servers:

Remove your like from the Facebook page. Although a reduction in the number of likes is expected on the current page thanks to the transition, waning interest in the NA/EU version would be noticed eventually.

Engage more with the Japanese community. It's hard for those with little to no experience with the language, but there are guides to help you. At the moment, the English community has largely segregated themselves and this gives off the wrong image. Of course they're going to try and shaft you with local servers if most of us keep trying to band with other English players.

EDIT:

There is not flashy solution but boycotting like an asshole is just stupid. It may not be our responsibility, but if you have any dislike towards there choices then you should try and voice your opinion properly and sign a petition or do something besides just dropping the game all together to go to another server.

..What on earth? Am I reading this correctly?

People boycotting the game speaks many volumes louder than people who put up with the shit but just whine a little. It shows you have no restraint. If you're going to playing the game any way, regardless of global servers or not, what fuck would they give?

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 12:09 PM

I'm not boycotting anything, my friend, and that part about being an asshole, I hope your mommy didn't read it, she'd be really dissapointed.

SEGA is a business. I decide where do I put my time and money. I'm just deciding to put it in a place where I know it's going to be spent the best way. End of the story.

You seem very angry, but instead of taking that anger and venting it into something useful, you would rather target and insult me instead. You're pathetic, atleast I give a damn enough to try something unlike everyone else who are whining like a bunch of babies and won't do anything.

Where did I insult you? You might need to come down of your horse and re-read my post, because I didn't ever insult you, although after you blatant show of lack of education I'm tempted to start doing it.

Learn to read first and then come to talk, because you're doing it wrong.

Akaimizu
Jul 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
I think the thing is, when petitions, cries, and other constructive methods of getting SOJ's attention on what they want is not only ignored, you get Interviews with Sakai talking about their surprise for all the non-Japanese interest in the game ONLY when people bombard the Japanese servers; you get the idea that there might be truth to those wanting to keep playing on the Japanese servers because that seems to be the only way their message actually gets across.

Heck, if just people joining the Japanese servers from overseas gets way more attention than YEARS of talk and requests sent to SOA, petitions, and the like; perhaps it's an indication of what people are left with. It's obvious even from this interview that some people are just out of touch and there's some sort of company barrier that keeps some things from getting to the right people.

But it's not just Sega, though. This happens with a number of companies. I don't think anybody has forgotten Capcom and their Megaman issues.

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hahaha thanks for the laugh. Pretty ironic calling out people for whining about it on a forum that's about the game when all you've really done is create an e-petition that is basically the same thing.

Although I can't see any of this changing due to logistical problems such as translations being done in time for content updates and varying local laws that must be adhered to, here's a good suggestion for those who would like global servers:

Vote with your money. Although this game is free to play, the life blood of it is the cash generated by AC items. On the NA/EU version, if you're one of those people who want global servers, don't give them any money. It's that simple.

If, however, you are intending to play the NA/EU version and don't mind the fact the server isn't global, do as you please and I really hope for your sake they don't mess you around with content updates.

Alternative methods for those who want global servers:

Remove your like from the Facebook page. Although a reduction in the number of likes is expected on the current page thanks to the transition, waning interest in the NA/EU version would be noticed eventually.

Engage more with the Japanese community. It's hard for those with little to no experience with the language, but there are guides to help you. At the moment, the English community has largely segregated themselves and this gives off the wrong image. Of course they're going to try and shaft you with local servers if most of us keep trying to band with other English players.

So whining pointlessly on a forum is better then addressing in a petition about how we all feel about this is? Oh trust me, Sega US won't be getting a drop of money from me, but atleast I'm trying, and that's more then I can say about you bro.

So yes, THANK YOU! for the good laugh ;)

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Lol, so I'm the asshole for going to a different server (btw, I'm not even american, and our dear SEGA won't even make an european server, so why do I have to go to the american one instead of the japanese one? is not like I'm more american than japanese, y'know), but you're here feeling so proud and mighty and then stating that you're not going to give any money to SoA... Where's the conmittement then? You seem apt to be a politician. xD

Not only the fact that the later history of SEGA's actions is entirely against, but the fact that you're being that "nice" with whoever thinks different than you (note the sarcasm), is not that will help your cause much.

DemonMike
Jul 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
So whining pointlessly on a forum is better then addressing in a petition about how we all feel about this is? Oh trust me, Sega US won't be getting a drop of money from me, but atleast I'm trying, and that's more then I can say about you bro.

So yes, THANK YOU! for the good laugh ;)

I personally don't give a shit. I'm sticking to the JP servers and I've always insisted this, but I would like for people who want an English version and to play with a world wide community to be able to do so.

But your remarks on how complaining is 'stupid', despite that being exactly what your petition is, is just completely ridiculous.

If you actually read my post giving people ideas as to what to do, you would know that there was effort put into that. What exactly makes your effort a lot more meaningful than mine? Because you ventured outside this website, which is most likely being monitered by Sega? Get a grip.

I'd appreciate if you could read my edit regarding one of your posts after that.

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
I personally don't give a shit. I'm sticking to the JP servers and I've always insisted this, but I would like for people who want an English version and to play with a world wide community to be able to do so.

But your remarks on how complaining is 'stupid', despite that being exactly what your petition is, is just completely ridiculous.

If you actually read my post giving people ideas as to what to do, you would know that there was effort put into that. What exactly makes your effort a lot more meaningful than mine? Because you ventured outside this website, which is most likely being monitered by Sega? Get a grip.

I'd appreciate if you could read my edit regarding one of your posts after that.

Did I ever say I was going to play on the NA servers? Also I need to edit now what I meant by that boycotting statement. I meant boycotting by itself and not trying to voice your opinion as well is stupid. Sorry, I did not mean it like that, even though it's spelled out that way.

kp77
Jul 13, 2012, 12:20 PM
Have people forgotten Sega's history with games and fans, or is it just me?

DemonMike
Jul 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
Did I ever say I was going to play on the NA servers? Also I need to edit now what I meant by that boycotting statement. I meant boycotting by itself and not trying to voice your opinion as well is stupid. Sorry, I did not mean it like that, even though it's spelled out that way.

No problem.

There's nothing wrong with your petition, good luck to you with it. But remember, it's an internet petition and every one and their uncle has made one, try and refrain like you've got some moral high ground for making one.

To be honest, I'm finding a lot of problems on both sides of the argument. A lot of the people complaining, I imagine, have no interest in buying AC items. Japanese or English servers. This is another thing that needs to change if people really want Sega to listen.

Have people forgotten Sega's history with games and fans, or is it just me?

It would seem so. The comfort blanket that is the game being in English is only going to be a temporary respite once the first few months are done with for the NA/EU version.

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
Did I ever say I was going to play on the NA servers?

Wow.

Now I have mixed feelings. I don't know if just calling you asshole and pathetic, considering that you called me that for that exact statement, or just note my amazement at your blatant hypocresy in the matter.

As I said, you really seems apt for a politician. You put the idea, but let the others put the effort while you're safe doing what you blame in others. Sounds about right.

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
Wow.

Now I have mixed feelings. I don't know if just calling you asshole and pathetic, considering that you called me that for that exact statement, or just note my amazement at your blatant hypocresy in the matter.

As I said, you really seems apt for a politician. You put the idea, but let the others put the effort while you're safe doing what you blame in others. Sounds about right.

How am I letting others put the effort when I started the petition and am fighting at every corner jerks like you who think they know everything. Buddy, I'm sorry I did insult you, but I did on purpose because it's annoying that nobody gives petitions and mass voicing of opinions a chance anymore. It's for that reason they don't work anymore. I'm putting a lot more effort into this then you are, that's for damn sure

*face palm*

Akaimizu
Jul 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
No problem.

To be honest, I'm finding a lot of problems on both sides of the argument. A lot of the people complaining, I imagine, have no interest in buying AC items. Japanese or English servers. This is another thing that needs to change if people really want Sega to listen.

Boy do I wish SEGA actually gave me that option! I even boldly mentioned that I am totally up for those extra items if they offered them, just to support the game. Back when it was up to the Phantasy Star Portable games coming out. Especially with PSP2. Alas, that never came to pass, so technically SEGA never took a chance that it could work. Especially since unlike PSU, PSP2 was not a pay-to-play service, but free online.

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 12:34 PM
How am I letting others put the effort when I started the petition and am fighting at every corner jerks like you who think they know everything. Buddy, I'm sorry I did insult you, but I did on purpose because it's annoying that nobody gives petitions and mass voicing of opinions a chance anymore. It's for that reason they don't work anymore. I'm putting a lot more effort into this then you are, that's for damn sure

*face palm*

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

I just said that is not our business to make them do their work right, that's something they should do by default, and after trying with all my power and money for years in PSU I don't see it worthy of the effort anymore.

Where's the ofense there?

So, you're putting more effort than me. Tell me, how many months did you pay not one, but two subscriptions since the second month PSU was released in the US/NA servers (for me and my girlfriend)? How many threads did you open in the official SoA PSU server to give suggestions and try to voice your opinion on the game management?

You should start using that brain that in theory should have inside your skull instead of going by insulting whoever had a different experience and has a different opinion than you, because you have no fucking idea of how much effort anybody in this forums have put. And I'm the one who thinks I know everything?

You just went full retard. And don't worry, I don't care about insulting you either, considering that you're showing less education than a 5 years old kid. Please, grow up.

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

I just said that is not our business to make them do their work right, that's something they should do by default, and after trying with all my power and money for years in PSU I don't see it worthy of the effort anymore.

Where's the ofense there?

So, you're putting more effort than me. Tell me, how many months did you pay not one, but two subscriptions since the second month PSU was released in the US/NA servers (for me and my girlfriend)? How many threads did you open in the official SoA PSU server to give suggestions and try to voice your opinion on the game management?

You should start using that brain that in theory should have inside your skull instead of going by insulting whoever had a different experience and has a different opinion than you, because you have no fucking idea of how much effort anybody in this forums have put. And I'm the one who thinks I know everything?

You just went full retard. And don't worry, I don't care about insulting you either, considering that you're showing less education than a 5 years old kid. Please, grow up.

Sorry your past efforts at spending your money didn't work. Exactly why I feel sometimes it takes more the business practice to change things. You should do some research on petitions, especially the recent one on Teen mag.

Again I see your mad because your efforts in the past were futile. I'll stop insulting you because I now have a better understanding of your pain over this, but now I offer a solution that doesn't take your money or mass amounts of your time. I'll spend my time trying to get people to sign and care, all you need to do is sign. Very simple, though I doubt you will, but you can prove me wrong by just signing it, by this point with your logic towards me, it would make YOU the better person in this fight.

I'll admit I didn't drop mass amounts of money in PSU like you did, but for this very reason.

Do what you what you want bro but all this time spent bashing each other does nothing, I was just raging at the fact that were was a 15 page thread about how people were angry about this decision, so I made a petition so there anger is atleast voiced, and if Sega monitors this site, they will clearly see a petition has been started.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
4Gamer:
S current situation and, except for the cancer slash weapon, but has become a class-specific weapon, each weapon of the new category or will it be use with any class.Oh Google Translate, you always brighten my day.

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry your past efforts at spending your money didn't work. Exactly why I feel sometimes it takes more the business practice to change things. You should do some research on petitions, especially the recent one on Teen mag.

Again I see your mad because your efforts in the past were futile. I'll stop insulting you because I now have a better understanding of your pain over this, but now I offer a solution that doesn't take your money or mass amounts of your time. I'll spend my time trying to get people to sign and care, all you need to do is sign. Very simple, though I doubt you will, but you can prove me wrong by just signing it, by this point with your logic towards me, it would make YOU the better person in this fight.

I'll admit I didn't drop mass amounts of money in PSU like you did, but for this very reason.

Do what you what you want bro but all this time spent bashing each other does nothing, I was just raging at the fact that were was a 15 page thread about how people were angry about this decision, so I made a petition so there anger is atleast voiced, and if Sega monitors this site, they will clearly see a petition has been started.

When exactly did I rage, or bash? You know, I just gave my opinion, no rage, no insult, no problem. You're the one who started with the shitstorm insulting and then saying that you did it on purpose and with no regret. If you've seen me "raging " it's at your childish attitude. Instead of trying to make me a better person, try to become a better one yourself and learn some respect first.

Also, I never said that I wouldn't sign a petition like that, you know, I just expressed my opinion on the matter, and signing it won't change the fact that I wouldn't bet two cents on SEGA even taking notice of such petition. If you have a problem with my opinion you're entitled to it, of course, but by calling asshole and pathetic to others the only thing you're going to get is to be called an asshole yourself, because that's how you acted like.

Most of the people here who is so negative and so "effortless" as you seem to believe are probably the exact opposite, people who have spent like me years paying SoA and seeing how they used that money to wipe their asses after crapping all over the game. I don't really give a shit about what you think about it, but you sould try to ask yourself, before assuming that we're all haters who want the game to fail and calling names to others, why would they do that. I LOVE this franchise, and I've been playing since I bought PSO the day it came out for Gamecube. And you can't blame us for thinking that way after seeing how SEGA managed to trash EVERY attemp for a decent occidental release of EVERY game since old PSO (not only PSO itself and PSU, but also BB, and all portable versions that got the same treatment as PSU, or not even released here). Many of us here have given SEGA more patience almost than a mother to her little annoying kid.

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
When exactly did I rage, or bash? You know, I just gave my opinion, no rage, no insult, no problem. You're the one who started with the shitstorm insulting and then saying that you did it on purpose and with no regret. If you've seen me "raging " it's at your childish attitude. Instead of trying to make me a better person, try to become a better one yourself and learn some respect first.

I never said that I wouldn't sign a petition like that, you know, I just expressed my oppinion on the matter, and signing it won't change the fact that I wouldn't bet two cents on SEGA even taking notice of such petition. If you have a problem with my opinion you're entitled to it, of course, but by calling asshole and pathetic to others the only thing you're going to get is to be called an asshole yourself, because that's how you acted.

Most of the people here who is so negative and so "effortless" as you seem to believe are probably the exact opposite, people who have spent like me years paying SoA and seeing how they used that money to wipe their asses after crapping all over the game. I don't really give a shit about what you think about it, but you yould try to ask yourself, before calling names to others, why would they do that. I LOVE this franchise, and I've been playing since I bought it the day it came out for Gamecube.

Then keep doing something about it like you did in the past. You may have never said you gave up, but you act like it. I would type out more well thought out posts but that's not what I'm here for. Also I clearly state in my OP of the petition thread that I am an ass about this and will continue to be until people start realizing we can make a difference, but it takes more then a couple signatures an people with animosity to change things. Again, refocus your anger like I am. And stop saying I didn't state this or that, because it goes without saying. I have been playing since release of PSO Dreamcast, and once I realized the horror title that was US PSU, I tried along like you, to try and change things. Yes it failed, but it failed because there wasn't enough support.

Most of the people here who is so negative and so "effortless" as you seem to believe are probably the exact opposite
Prove me wrong then. Not with past efforts, but with the here and now.

Omisan
Jul 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
I jumped to the last page for more updated info hopefully, i am dis-appoint/gusted-ed.

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
Then keep doing something about it like you did in the past. You may have never said you gave up, but you act like it. I would type out more well thought out posts but that's not what I'm here for. Also I clearly state in my OP of the petition thread that I am an ass about this and will continue to be until people start realizing we can make a difference, but it takes more then a couple signatures an people with animosity to change things. Again, refocus your anger like I am. And stop saying I didn't state this or that, because it goes without saying. I have been playing since release of PSO Dreamcast, and once I realized the horror title that was US PSU, I tried along like you, to try and change things. Yes it failed, but it failed because there wasn't enough support.

I think you're taking the issue the wrong way. The fact that I still play the game states that I didn't give up. It's SEGA who gave up on us, and keeps showing us their lack of appreciation. I'm not a kid anymore, like I was when I started playing PSO and I didn't have to care about other things, and for the time that I have to play, getting shorter and shorter by these years, I don't really wanna spend them struggling with a game.

As I said in the first post, this is a game. I wouldn't give up on an organization dedicated to cure cancer or to feed poor children, but I have better things to do than to stress over a gaming company that has been 10 years showing how little they care for my conmitement. At this point I just prefer to throw my money at SoJ so they don't crap the JP servers, at least.

Prove me wrong then. Not with past efforts, but with the here and now.

Why? Does SEGA deserve it?

Metalsnake27
Jul 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Oh Google Translate, you always brighten my day.

I use this: http://www.ocn.ne.jp/translation/webpage.html

Press the second option for Japanese->English.

USUALLY it translates better than google.

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 13, 2012, 01:08 PM

This doesn't seem to stop Square Enix from having their MMOs (ffxi and ffxiv I believe too) global....
Unless there's something different they do....

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
This doesn't seem to stop Square Enix from having their MMOs (ffxi and ffxiv I believe too) global....
Unless there's something different they do....

Yea this still baffles me....

MUDGRIP
Jul 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
we got people spamming symbol chat art in ship10 block20 that says I Fap You. Is that because of this announcement?

Snitch
Jul 13, 2012, 01:15 PM
its the micro transactions sega are doing that squarenix isnt doing. But we can all buy AC from SoJ now while playing on jp servers. ... It is bs....,

Btw anyone here on the JP communtiy, and what are the regular JP player saying about this????

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
its the micro transactions sega are doing that squarenix isnt doing. But we can all buy AC from SoJ now while playing on jp servers. ... It is bs....,

Btw anyone here on the JP communtiy, and what are the regular JP player saying about this????

My guess is a lot of them don't really care or are happy about it. And I'll admit why should they, they got the game now and the best part of Sega supporting them. Win Win for them.

MUDGRIP
Jul 13, 2012, 01:19 PM
it sucks being such a phantasy star fanatic and being an american... we are gettin the shaft bad lol.... why cant i just be a fan of another series as much as i am of phantasy star lol.

Nu Lo Yin
Jul 13, 2012, 01:20 PM
Whats so big about having a global server?

I will be staying Japanese server anyways...

Snitch
Jul 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
My guess is a lot of them don't really care or are happy about it. And I'll admit why should they, they got the game now and the best part of Sega supporting them. Win Win for them.

In my 8 years of FFXi i would say 40% of the jp players there disliked EU/NA players :( but most of em liked us. I for one have no problems with jp ppl. And still hope for better days.

The Walrus
Jul 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Whats so big about having a global server?

I will be staying Japanese server anyways...

Because if the server is global we're guaranteed to get the updates the same time whereas with them separate it we'll have to wait a bit longer for updates if Sega does to PSO2 what it did to PSU.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
I think the reason for not having "global" or linked servers, mainly comes down to US and EU laws regarding gambling/lottery tickets and players (customers) under 18 yrs old that may or may not be allowed to legally gamble by way fo the virtual slot-machine/lottery ticket that is the "Ark's Scratch".

Also, Promotional items that are from specific Anime/Fast Food Chain IP's/Etc that SoA does not have legal permission to have in the US version. (example: **if*** PSO 2 has a Colonel Sanders suit and Pizza Hut Card/Talis those will not be available in the US version).
The Japan centered Lobby THemed events/items (or other "cultural differences") is a really weak reason for Sakai to site for needing "a US version" IMO.

I and I'm sure many others wouldn't mind those cultural elements being kept in the game. PSO had White Day Event and quest, so other than a few xenophobic US/EU players whining I don't see what the issue is with "cultural referenced content".. *sigh*

So this *could mean* the US version *might* not have Yukata's, and the Hatsumatsuri (summertime festival) themed items.. which IMO would be stupid.

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
I think the reason for not having "global" or linked servers, mainly comes down to US and EU laws regarding gambling/lottery tickets and players (customers) under 18 yrs old that may or may not be allowed to legally gamble by way fo the virtual slot-machine/lottery ticket that is the "Ark's Scratch".

Also, Promotional items that are from specific Anime/Fast Food Chain IP's/Etc that SoA does not have legal permission to have in the US version. (example: **if*** PSO 2 has a Colonel Sanders suit and Pizza Hut Card/Talis those will not be available in the US version).
The Japan centered Lobby THemed events/items (or other "cultural differences") is a really weak reason for Sakai to site for needing "a US version" IMO.

I and I'm sure many others wouldn't mind those cultural elements being kept in the game. PSO had White Day Event and quest, so other than a few xenophobic US/EU players whining I don't see what the issue is with "cultural referenced content".. *sigh*

So this *could mean* the US version *might* not have Yukata's, and the Hatsumatsuri (summertime festival) themed items.. which IMO would be stupid.

Yeah I really hate how politician will go "It's illegal or that looks like a little girl, LAW SUIT!!!!!!" like our laws are universal or something. This is why sometimes I despise being American. Such a sad country we live in anymore :/

NoiseHERO
That is another thing...

if our version doesn't have this subscription AND gacha stuff going on even though JP DOES (similar to PSU) I could imagine JP players going all

"WTF IZ DIS SHEET ENGLISH PLAYERS DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR PREMIUM AND WE SHARE THE SAME SERVERS??"

Zari

well actually this part doesn't matter at all. Plenty of NA/EU localized versions of MMOs keep these kinds of systems, there was one that I used to play where the NA version was actually the FIRST to get this system.

And really people, you shouldn't base your decision completely on how well SoA did in the past. I've seen worse companies have huge turnarounds before so why can't SoA? And if you think being a few months behind JP is bad, you must have not played many MMOs considering most MMOs are like this or even further behind when you compare the NA and original version, and you don't see many of those games' players that know it complaining about it do you?

I'm probably gonna play NA, and if SoA doesn't have a turnaround and does terrible with the english release, I'm just gonna play on both.

Angelo
Jul 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
As long as SoA comes out and admits that their service throughout PSU's duration was unsatisfactory and that they're willing to change... I'm willing to believe them.

I'd to see some pressure put on them.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 13, 2012, 01:33 PM
As long as SoA comes out and admits that their service throughout PSU's duration was unsatisfactory
Don't hold your breath.

Yamishi
Jul 13, 2012, 01:49 PM
I've been playing since Alpha-2, but I'm still going to make the jump to the English version when it comes out. Being able to read everything will be nice.

But I'm keeping my JP character, and at the first sign of a multi-month delay on content on the EN version, I'm out. This is absolutely the last chance I'm giving divided servers.

Joe Friday
Jul 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
SOA (well, at least Edward) pretty much came out and said they knew that they weren't good enough with PSU and wanted to put it right with PSO2.

Zyrusticae
Jul 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
And if you think being a few months behind JP is bad, you must have not played many MMOs considering most MMOs are like this or even further behind when you compare the NA and original version, and you don't see many of those games' players that know it complaining about it do you?

I feel the need to point out that they DO complain about it.

LOUDLY.

Just go look... well, anywhere that talks about NA Aion, for one.

EvilMag
Jul 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
As long as SoA comes out and admits that their service throughout PSU's duration was unsatisfactory and that they're willing to change... I'm willing to believe them.

I'd to see some pressure put on them.

Didn't they say something like that for BB?

Finalzone
Jul 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Watch the completion scratch system be back in the NA/EU version.
Fixed. Last time I hear Canada is not United States of America. In addition, include Central and South America to the mix.

Agitated_AT
Jul 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
Well, I may be one of the few going to the EU/US servers. Don't mind it not being global, as long as it has a following and a big croud for it. It would require good promotion, but that's where SOA comes in :) I raelly hope they wont fail in this.

However i'm defenitly not going to stay if the content ends up being cut at the start and slowly added. They seriously would make a big mistake if they did thsi again :)

ShinMaruku
Jul 13, 2012, 03:07 PM

PROBLEM?
http://i.minus.com/i3cY4eoobtzRW.gif

Game is free to play why not play both?
Would be comical if Sega region locked the game after US comes out because it's not giving them money as they should. :P

ShadowDragon28
Jul 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
well actually this part doesn't matter at all. Plenty of NA/EU localized versions of MMOs keep these kinds of systems, there was one that I used to play where the NA version was actually the FIRST to get this system.

What US F2P game has Virtual Lottery tickets/Gambling type game that costs real money (credit card). Please give me some names or link to a wiki entry describing it.

Because I know that here in California, (not sure on Federal US Law ) persons under 18 it is illegal for them to buy and play the Lottery or Slot Machines.

I think Sega of America may want to avoid legal action when Mother Jane Doe finds Johnny spent $1000 on her credit card to play Arks Scratches and sue Sega or notify the those that could charge Sega with "selling a means of gambling to children under 18 yrs old)

So I would not be surprised if Arks Scratch is removed or altered into alternate "Fun Scratch" and only Premium services and AC costumes are put up in a Shop for direct AC purchase with no gambling (Arks Scratch) invovled.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
http://i.minus.com/i3cY4eoobtzRW.gif

Game is free to play why not play both?
Would be comical if Sega region locked the game after US comes out because it's not giving them money as they should. :P

if they ip locked japan pso2 i'd just quit lol. in all honesty i like this game but it's not good enough to return to after just being chewed up and spit out like that.

all i do in the game is grind anyway, and pray my group stays together so we actually burst, which pretty much never happens since i'm always with randoms and they like to wander off on their own.

jooozek
Jul 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
What US F2P game has Virtual Lottery tickets/Gambling type game that costs real money (credit card). Please give me some names or link to a wiki entry describing it.

http://maplestory.nexon.net/cashshop/Marvelmachine/

Gardios
Jul 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
Maplestory, DFO and Grand Chase all have/had a gacha system in place, using real money.

Ragnarok Online had Lucky Box events where you bought boxes with random content using real money.

Gacha != gambling.

jooozek
Jul 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
Gacha != gambling.
Actually, Japan banned a certain part of Gacha in the logic that it is gambling. They've banned the prize for getting all the possible prizes from the gacha. (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-18/japan-consumer-agency-says-complete-gacha-game-feature-illegal.html)

Gardios
Jul 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
Gacha completion, but not gacha itself. Doesn't really matter though because gacha doesn't fall under gambling in NA/EU as far as I know.

atrimiselgnacra
Jul 13, 2012, 04:09 PM
The ironic thing about everyone here saying "Oh I'm just going to keep playing on the Japanese servers" is that A) It's not really getting the word out to anyone in japan to even contemplate making global servers instead, or putting English as a language option in the Japanese versions, and B) it almost undoubtedly ensures that the English version DOES fail, since the fans of PSO-World are a sizable number of the people that the NA version is being made for. And since we're not going to be playing it, and spending money in the NA cash shop, they're going to assume that it failed, and drop the support instead of trying to address any issues... again because we don't care about it, since we're playing the Japanese version anyways.

To summarize, by saying "I'm not going to play the NA version, because it's going to suck, and they're just going to drop it" you're are going to MAKE it happen, in the end.
And you should express your concerns on their facebook and twitter pages, and if you can express your concern in Japanese, (more than just google translate, since it doesn't arrange syntax properly) that might make an even larger impact to them. It might not work... they might have their heads so far up the censors ass that it might not change a damn thing... but then again, not even trying is going to GUARANTEE that nothing changes at all.

I'm not saying that facebook and twitter are the best way to reach the Sega of Japan, but unless you happen to have the personal email address of someone, or some people on the team there, this is a good first step.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
I'm surprised no one has sued or charged Nexon and the ones the run DFO and GrandChase with allowing under-age players playing a slot machine/gambling system that costs real money.

Since technically its illegal in most states in the US for kids under 18 to play gambling games.

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised no one has sued or charged Nexon and the ones the run DFO and GrandChase with allowing under-age players playing a slot machine/gambling system that costs real money.

Since technically its illegal in most states in the US for kids under 18 to play gambling games.

Do you even know how many MMOs in the US have these systems? If it was truly illegal for MMOs to have these gacha/sealbreaker/icebreaker/etc. systems in the NA releases don't you think something would've happened to a lot of these companies by now? That or the government doesn't care about it.

EvilMag
Jul 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
So SoA is gonna pull a Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver on us?

Ryuujin13
Jul 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
You must be new to the PS series. I am sorry but no amount of support from us will change how the game will turn out. It will likely turn into a repeat of previous games.

Why does everyone assume this when they create a reply to someone...btw I played all of the PSO games and PSU.

Anyway...So your saying that if they have a large support/fan base they wont give them the support they want/need? So if they have a small support/fan base playing they will get all the support and content they need. YA, I see the logic there.

Use parents credit card and fake your age and your set for online gambling. Its isn't that hard and not that monitored.

Zyrusticae
Jul 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
It's only considered "gambling" if you can gain real money back from it.

If it's just random junk, it's not considered gambling by law. Hence why arcade places can have all those little machines that are essentially gambling for tickets. Because the tickets are only exchangeable for set prizes and not real cash, it's not illegal for kids. Same thing with the gachas.

Anyway...So your saying that if they have a large support/fan base they wont give them the support they want/need? So if they have a small support/fan base playing they will get all the support and content they need. YA, I see the logic there.

Well... no.

It's more like "I don't give a shit anymore, they've botched it up too many times in the past for it to even be worth bothering with now". Plus the JP version is going to be superior no matter what, simply because that's their favored market, so...

Macman
Jul 13, 2012, 04:38 PM

Team Fortress 2 has that asinine Crate mechanic where you buy a key to open it and hope you get something exclusive from them.
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Mann_Co._Supply_Crate

bloodflowers
Jul 13, 2012, 04:39 PM
The cycle repeats.

Not only are the servers being separated, dooming the US ones, we find this out from translated Japanese interviews before SoA confirm anything.

iwerkout
Jul 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
I was saying it's within their nature to disappoint their overseas playerbase with sub-par support.

I still don't understand how Sega of America is related to a Rhino pooping....

Metalsnake27
Jul 13, 2012, 04:52 PM

DFO has gambling in it? o-o

They removed the Avatar slot machine thing. Its now like DnF where you select the avatar pieces/sets you want.

/offtopic

NoiseHERO
Jul 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
DFO has gambling in it? o-o

They removed the Avatar slot machine thing. Its now like DnF where you select the avatar pieces/sets you want.

/offtopic

FOREALS?

/goes to try this game again

Zyrusticae
Jul 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
I still don't understand how Sega of America is related to a Rhino pooping....
Because a Rhino can't help it, just like Sega of Japan can't help their horrible, horrible xenophobia.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 13, 2012, 05:21 PM
People are making alot of negative predictions as if it's a fact and already happened on PSO 2 US version's servers. In my view it's way way too early to judge if Service/support/updates will be "terrible" or actually acceptable.

Yes I know their track record is awful I played PSU to AOTI for two and a half years before I got feed up with the support of the PC/PS2 severs for PSU&PSU:AOTI,

IMO If SEGA of America or SoJ want people to that play on US servers have many people pay for Arks Cash and AC items/services they *have* to have vastly improved service over how PSU was handled.

Let's try to at least give Sega's US/EU servers and service at least a month or two before claiming PSO 2 US has "shitty support" etc etc.

Agitated_AT
Jul 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
The ironic thing about everyone here saying "Oh I'm just going to keep playing on the Japanese servers" is that A) It's not really getting the word out to anyone in japan to even contemplate making global servers instead, or putting English as a language option in the Japanese versions, and B) it almost undoubtedly ensures that the English version DOES fail, since the fans of PSO-World are a sizable number of the people that the NA version is being made for. And since we're not going to be playing it, and spending money in the NA cash shop, they're going to assume that it failed, and drop the support instead of trying to address any issues... again because we don't care about it, since we're playing the Japanese version anyways.

To summarize, by saying "I'm not going to play the NA version, because it's going to suck, and they're just going to drop it" you're are going to MAKE it happen, in the end.
And you should express your concerns on their facebook and twitter pages, and if you can express your concern in Japanese, (more than just google translate, since it doesn't arrange syntax properly) that might make an even larger impact to them. It might not work... they might have their heads so far up the censors ass that it might not change a damn thing... but then again, not even trying is going to GUARANTEE that nothing changes at all.

I'm not saying that facebook and twitter are the best way to reach the Sega of Japan, but unless you happen to have the personal email address of someone, or some people on the team there, this is a good first step.
+1

For those who havent seen this post

NoiseHERO
Jul 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
People are making alot of negative predictions as if it's a fact and already happened on PSO 2 US version's servers. In my view it's way way too early to judge if Service/support/updates will be "terrible" or actually acceptable.

Yes I know their track record is awful I played PSU to AOTI for two and a half years before I got feed up with the support of the PC/PS2 severs for PSU&PSU:AOTI,

IMO If SEGA of America or SoJ want people to that play on US servers have many people pay for Arks Cash and AC items/services they *have* to have vastly improved service over how PSU was handled.

Let's try to at least give Sega's US/EU servers and service at least a month or two before claiming PSO 2 US has "shitty support" etc etc.

I already tried saying this, no one wants to budge.

I don't think their service will be perfect. But I still think having our own version will at least have 1 or 2 1UPs compared to ONLY playing the JP version. And I think it'll be hard to fuck up as badly as PSU. This is coming from someone that likes PSU better than PSO and enjoyed most of his 3 years spent playing that game.

Like everyone else that doesn't like to make a big deal out of everything, I'll still be playing both versions.

ShadowDragon28
Jul 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
100 % agreed with Atrimiselgnacra's post

Thermalwolf
Jul 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
I already tried saying this, no one wants to budge.

I don't think their service will be perfect. But I still think having our own version will at least have 1 or 2 1UPs compared to ONLY playing the JP version. And I think it'll be hard to fuck up as badly as PSU. This is coming from someone that likes PSU better than PSO and enjoyed most of his 3 years spent playing that game.

Like everyone else that doesn't like to make a big deal out of everything, I'll still be playing both versions.

Totally get that. I just want Sega to understand we are concerned. We gotta get there attention somehow before it's to late :-? Yeah Square Enix realized after the fact that FF14 was trash at release, but do we really want that to be the start of the US Version, I sure as hell don't. I blew the last of my paycheck to get the collectors edition for the worst mmo of all time. It's doing wayyyy better now though, Ide play if I wasn't so stuck on PSO2. /offtopic

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 05:40 PM

You know, there's people who actually say "Oh I'm just going to keep playing on the Japanese servers" because they like playing in the japanese servers.

Agitated_AT
Jul 13, 2012, 05:47 PM
You know, there's people who actually say "Oh I'm just going to keep playing on the Japanese servers" because they like playing in the japanese servers.

Wouldn't a fan at least want to support it to succeed?

bloodflowers
Jul 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
before it's to late

You must realise this is something they'll have decided long ago. If anything changes your best hope is English language support in the JP client.

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 05:57 PM

1) Wasn't this a game, something intended to amuse its users?

2) Wouldn't a fan also want to support it where he/she feels his/her contribution is going to be used the best?

I mean, last time I checked, SEGA wasn't an NGO donating it's money to feed hungry children in undeveloped countries. For that I'd feel the call to support. But I think people here take this issue too far. It's a game. I play for fun. So I'll play wherever I find the best amusement. End of the story. Although I have my share in the PSU trauma bullshit, is not like I'm taking revenge or I want SoA to fall. But I don't see why would I feel committed to a server that, for me, is almost as far as the JP one.

Why am I so ebil for choosing one foreign server over another?

Fuck, I just wanna wait for it to be on the run for a couple months to see if it starts well at least, also, I have already friends and a levelled character in the JP servers and I don't really feel like starting over. And I'm not a multiaccount person. But I guess here whoever wants to play in the JP servers does automatically to fuck off the NA servers.

Konflyk
Jul 13, 2012, 05:57 PM

There's no point of supporting something on life support, just cut the power and keep it moving, I'll be staying on PSO2 JP servers. I don't trust SoA I give the game 3 years of life here, maybe being F2P will give it some hope, but I can't take steps backwards in terms of content.

Also most people in the US who played PSU want it on 360 so I don't think most of them will shell for a PC. Vita is also doing poorly in sales so hopefully that even sees a western release granted the install base is very small.

sugarFO
Jul 13, 2012, 06:00 PM

As a fan I would be more willing to support something with my money AFTER I know it's a solid product with the concerns voiced in this thread. Why should I throw money in blind faith? They have an obligation as a company to show themselves to be trustworthy in this endeavor.

LK1721
Jul 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
As a fan I would be more willing to support something with my money AFTER I know it's a solid product with the concerns voiced in this thread. Why should I throw money in blind faith? They have an obligation as a company to show themselves to be trustworthy in this endeavor.
Ding ding, THIS.

Either way I'll probably play on both servers.

Darki
Jul 13, 2012, 06:06 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

ShinMaruku
Jul 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
DFO now makes you buy items now.

ShinMaruku
Jul 13, 2012, 06:16 PM

Most of them are playing on that because of time and cynicism

PepperCat
Jul 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
The ideal situation is one where the JP servers allow an English patch, or have a language option to change all the menus and texts into English.

If there ever is an IP Ban, for the amount of time that you invest in such a game, it wouldn't be the most difficult thing to buy a VPN box and settle the problem that way.

Jinto117
Jul 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
So 4-6 months behind in updates again then? Fuck yes, thank you SEGA!

Metalsnake27
Jul 13, 2012, 08:50 PM
Just gonna say whatever happens happens.

IF the service ends up sucking, I'll stick to the JPN version. If it's... ok.. then I will most likely play both. If they IP ban us then I'll just play the english version.

Just as long as I actually get to play the game I'm happy. However, the way Sega treats the Western version will let me decide if I want to stick with the game for x amount of time.

AC9breaker
Jul 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
I don't see why people think that the servers being unified means Western users would get the same support. I clearly remember in PSO the JP still got updates before we did. Either way I think it sucks cause I liked using instant chat and chatting up a storm with them small asian folks.

But oh well. No biggie.

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
So 4-6 months behind in updates again then? Fuck yes, thank you SEGA!

*knowing the sarcasm in your post*

Okay I really don't see why people think that being only 4-6 months behind the original is BAD. Most MMOs are like that. It is only really bad if it is a year or more behind and the MMO was not released in NA a long, long time after the original (Elsword is an example of a NA version of an MMO being released a long time after the original.). I would only really complain about the content gap if we were about a year or more behind. If it is only 5-6 months or less I wouldn't complain since that is more common in NA releases of MMOs than you people seem to think.

BahnKnakyu
Jul 13, 2012, 09:20 PM

I don't know why this didn't stop them on the X360 side or any of the older console releases. Square-Enix can do it, why can't they? It sounds more like a budget issue (surprise surprise) than a laws issue. What's there to censor? Can't show cleavage in a multiplayer online game?

Anyway, not going to play it that much. Glad to see Sakai gave the translator patch creators credit where credit is due. Seems like SoJ doesn't mind, which is good.

Uncle_bob
Jul 13, 2012, 09:26 PM
*knowing the sarcasm in your post*

Okay I really don't see why people think that being only 4-6 months behind the original is BAD. Most MMOs are like that. It is only really bad if it is a year or more behind and the MMO was not released in NA a long, long time after the original (Elsword is an example of a NA version of an MMO being released a long time after the original.). I would only really complain about the content gap if we were about a year or more behind. If it is only 5-6 months or less I wouldn't complain since that is more common in NA releases of MMOs than you people seem to think.

Because then 4-6 months becomes 8-12 months, and that becomes 12-18 months. Then the servers get shut down. There's really no excuse for it when fans are able to translate the game for free in a matter of days/weeks.

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Because then 4-6 months becomes 8-12 months, and that becomes 12-18 months. Then the servers get shut down.

It is only bad IF that happens, and it usually doesn't unless the whole game itself is dying or the company hosting the NA version is just terrible. It isn't a given that the gap will increase, only a possibility, most of the time it doesn't change much until around the death of the whole game from what I've seen. I've even seen cases where the gap decreased and the NA version has become really close to the original. SoA could have improved since PSU. They could do a lot better with PSO2 than they did with PSU. There is no man from the future telling us they won't do better and proving it.

Gardios
Jul 13, 2012, 09:33 PM
There are plenty of games that stay consistently behind by 6 months. SEGA knows that the slow updates are the source of the game's failure, they will try to keep up this time.

There's really no excuse for it when fans are able to translate the game for free in a matter of days/weeks.

Fan translating the game is not the same as localizing all content. The former is quicker because there's less to do and no one cares for quality.

Zyrusticae
Jul 13, 2012, 10:04 PM
It is only bad IF that happens, and it usually doesn't unless the whole game itself is dying or the company hosting the NA version is just terrible. It isn't a given that the gap will increase, only a possibility, most of the time it doesn't change much until around the death of the whole game from what I've seen. I've even seen cases where the gap decreased and the NA version has become really close to the original. SoA could have improved since PSU. They could do a lot better with PSO2 than they did with PSU. There is no man from the future telling us they won't do better and proving it.
Point 1: Again, it was SEGA OF JAPAN that was responsible for PSU's lackluster update schedule. Since it is STILL Sega of Japan that is in the position of power here, I expect no changes, because JP is still their favored market.

Point 2: YET AGAIN, it is a fallacy to state that "because everybody else is bad, it's okay if they're bad, too!" You should be pushing for improvements to the situation, not accepting things just because "that's how it is".

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
This time around we have Mighty Sakai, who seems way more enthusiastic than his predecessors. So hopefully, he'll come through for not only the JP market, but us as well.

Heck, I'm not asking for absolute commitment. Just show us the sincerity that PSU NA should have had.

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Point 1: Again, it was SEGA OF JAPAN that was responsible for PSU's lackluster update schedule. Since it is STILL Sega of Japan that is in the position of power here, I expect no changes, because JP is still their favored market.

Point 2: YET AGAIN, it is a fallacy to state that "because everybody else is bad, it's okay if they're bad, too!" You should be pushing for improvements to the situation, not accepting things just because "that's how it is".

@Point 1: Well then maybe SoJ will do better with it then. You never know till it happens.

@Point 2: The thing is, it ISN'T bad to be 6 months behind at most for a F2P MMO. The important part is how consistently they add these things to the game not the gap (as long as the gap isn't too large like almost a year or more)

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 10:22 PM
@Point 1: Well then maybe SoJ will do better with it then. You never know till it happens.

@Point 2: The thing is, it ISN'T bad to be 6 months behind at most for a F2P MMO. The important part is how consistently they add these things to the game not the gap (as long as the gap isn't too large like almost a year or more)

The gap is more than 6 months despite the fact that the game haven't even come out yet. Sega is moving outlanders back to where they came from, makes the game outdated before it's even released and fails to make any advertisement to even try to attract some players to it (this may be ancient news, but let me remind you that they didn't show a game that's coming this spring at E3). There is no support for PSO2 outside of Japan, plain and simple.

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 10:25 PM
It is a problem if people can simply stay on the JP servers to enjoy the content that isn't yet on the NA servers.

F2P games are gauged in part to how many people actually log in. If you're behind in terms of content, and people don't log in because of that, the game would "suffer" not only because the powers at be will think the game's not doing well, but also cause the snowball effect of players leaving after players, friends after friends, whole teams even.

Realistically though I understand content can't be toe to toe. Logistically not feasible. But months behind? When I could just play it on JP? I'm not so sure that's healthy for the long term.

Sinue_v2
Jul 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
I don't see why people think that the servers being unified means Western users would get the same support. I clearly remember in PSO the JP still got updates before we did. Either way I think it sucks cause I liked using instant chat and chatting up a storm with them small asian folks.

But oh well. No biggie.

Thank you.

I was going to make exactly that point, but I'm glad to see there are others here with a decent objective memory. There were lots of PSO v.1 & 2 quests and items that were JP only - some of them indefinitely. I don't think Central Dome Fire Swirl was available until Ep I & II on Xbox & NGC (or at least v.2 for the DC), and we never got Sunset at Secret Base.

Even if you could still access them by logging into the JP servers, they were never localized or intended for their western player-base. Anyone who thought for a second that even with a unified global server, we would be getting the same content and updates as the Japanese players was fucking delusional.

Ragol.co.uk Sunset at Secret Base guide (http://www.ragol.co.uk/guides/EEVuVVyFVlhztmKfgA.shtml)
[spoiler-box]Only JP and EU players can get this quest. If you are in EU change the languange to Japanese in order to obtain this quest and then when in the download quest section online, you'll need to select the final option/quest. In order to play you will also need to play in Japanese or else the quest won’t be recognized.[/spoiler-box]

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 10:27 PM
The gap is more than 6 months despite the fact that the game haven't even come out yet. Sega is moving outlanders back to where they came from, makes the game outdated before it's even released and fails to make any advertisement to even try to attract some players to it (this may be ancient news, but let me remind you that they didn't show a game that's coming this spring at E3). There is no support for PSO2 outside of Japan, plain and simple.

I'm not denying this, I'm just saying that the gap is not the most important part of keeping the NA versions of MMOs alive and such. Also, one MMO I play, when the NA version came out a year ago it was a couple years or more behind the original since the original came out about that long before the NA version and has gotten a bunch of major content in between its release and the NA version', but guess what? The NA version of that MMO has been catching up and is now only about 5-6 months behind and the NA version ALSO didn't get a bunch of attention before its release like PSO2. Really it all depends on what SEGA does, not the gap in time between the releases.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
I'm not denying this, I'm just saying that the gap is not the most important part of keeping the NA versions of MMOs alive and such. Also, one MMO I play, when the NA version came out a year ago it was a couple years or more behind the original since the original came out about that long before the NA version but guess what? Now the NA version of that MMO is catching up and is only about 5-6 months behind and the NA version ALSO didn't get a bunch of attention before its release like PSO2. Really it all depends on what SEGA does, not the gap in time between the releases.

That's my point, really. It's not the gap itself, it's that with Sega, it is always the sign of things to come.

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Culturalisations concerns aside, the fact that we even play PSO should be a sign that we're more than capable of handling content that maybe 10 years ago, would have been deemed not-so-marketable to a "western audience".

How many of you watch anime? How many of those Atlus-published JRPGS have you played? I don't see that cultural barrier anymore quite honestly. Like when we are asked the eternal Sub vs Dub question, why do you think Sub's the favored position at all?

Blackheart521
Jul 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
Culturalisations concerns aside, the fact that we even play PSO should be a sign that we're more than capable of handling content that maybe 10 years ago, would have been deemed not-so-marketable to a "western audience".

How many of you watch anime? How many of those Atlus-published JRPGS have you played? I don't see that cultural barrier anymore quite honestly. Like when we are asked the eternal Sub vs Dub question, why do you think Sub's the favored position at all?

The entire market of western audiences would not prefer subs over dubs though, think of the wider picture... its not just about the die-hard fans, they need to bring in new customers too. ^^;

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
That's my point, really. It's not the gap itself, it's that with Sega, it is always the sign of things to come.

Yeah, so really we just have to hope that SEGA doesn't decide to screw us over like they did with US PSU. If they do mess up I will just play on both servers, otherwise, I'm playing mostly NA/EU (will still probably go on JP sometimes to check out new content before it arrives in NA/EU anyways)

Metalsnake27
Jul 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, so really we just have to hope that SEGA doesn't decide to screw us over like they did with US PSU. If they do mess up I will just play on both servers, otherwise, I'm playing mostly NA/EU (will still probably go on JP sometimes to check out new content before it arrives in NA/EU anyways)

Think I'll be doing the same.

Finalzone
Jul 13, 2012, 11:53 PM
The entire market of western audiences would not prefer subs over dubs though, think of the wider picture... its not just about the die-hard fans, they need to bring in new customers too. ^^;

I have to disagree with those points concerning the western markets. France, Spain, England to name a few have more Japanese contents (subs and dubs) not found in North America it is not even funny. Culture is not even an issue anymore. Sega of Japan would fool themselves by remaining closed-minded. There are plenty manpower available waiting to help.
Speaking about customers, Sega of Japan could reach emerging market like Linux which gradually increase its presence on desktop.

Yunfa
Jul 14, 2012, 12:58 AM
Can someone explain a detailed explanation of the specific laws of censorship between Japan and U.S?

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 14, 2012, 01:03 AM
Can someone explain a detailed explanation of the specific laws of censorship between Japan and U.S?

SMOKE AND MIRRORS DOG SMOKIN' MIRRORS

AnnabellaRenee87
Jul 14, 2012, 02:24 AM
heh, sticking to the JPN serveres then.