PDA

View Full Version : The reason why PSO2-US will be better than PSU-US

Dan Maku
Jul 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
There is one reason why the western release of PSO2 will be several times better than the western release of PSU.

PSU hails from close to the end of a long-gone era of P2P MMOs. The only way to experience all of the game was to pay a subscription, which meant having to actively pay to experience a lack of content in comparison to the Japanese version of the game.

PSO2, however, is F2P. You can play as much of the game as you want, and only pay for extra goodies and services if you want to. That way, your dollar has more power: if you like the way the game is run, you can pay for AC and support the game. If not, you're more than free to not pay for anything. Either way, you can play the game as much as you want.

tl;dr
Being F2P will make PSO2-US better than PSU-US by magnitudes.

Ezodagrom
Jul 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
With it being f2p instead of being p2p, PSO2 is going to be more popular than PSU, so in that regard it'll be better than PSU.
What alot are worried about is SEGA of America support (or lack of). Based in previous games, it's unlikely that the international release of PSO2 will get the support it deserves from SEGA.
I hope SEGA beats the odds and properly supports the international release, this would be a great thing for the players, but after the previous games bad support, it's not surprising that many are worried about this.

Macman
Jul 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
When the NPC moving hack returns and makes the US server unplayable. You can thank SoA for not doing ANYTHING to ban the offenders and keeping the game in an unplayable state for at least a week.

Also F2P will probably just mean nobody will pay because of the garbage support, and they'll pull the plug after a year.

Here's hope someone makes a competent english private server.

Dan Maku
Jul 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
With it being f2p instead of being p2p, PSO2 is going to be more popular than PSU, so in that regard it'll be better than PSU.
What alot are worried about is SEGA of America support (or lack of). Based in previous games, it's unlikely that the international release of PSO2 will get the support it deserves from SEGA.
I hope SEGA beats the odds and properly supports the international release, this would be a great thing for the players, but after the previous games bad support, it's not surprising that many are worried about this.

I'm optimistic that what happened in previous games will not be the case. This is a new development team aside from Sonic Team, Sega is making strides towards digital services, and the F2P nature of the game should close the gap between content of the two games, as well as not asking for a long-term commitment on the player's end with a subscription.

Totori
Jul 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
Hopefully they'll fix the NPC movement hack, before during the in office server test. I'm sure much more man power will be put into this title.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
Well, with it being free people don't feel as entitled to service and support and updates(which very well may be a year behind like PSU).

Kazlan
Jul 13, 2012, 06:42 PM
When the NPC moving hack returns and makes the US server unplayable. You can thank SoA for not doing ANYTHING to ban the offenders and keeping the game in an unplayable state for at least a week.

Also F2P will probably just mean nobody will pay because of the garbage support, and they'll pull the plug after a year.

Here's hope someone makes a competent english private server.

Well, with it being free people don't feel as entitled to service and support and updates(which very well may be a year behind like PSU).

The other hope opposing these would be that without a subscription that just gets paid every month they will do better with content updating and support to keep people buying the AC. I don't see how this model could fair worse then a subscription model in terms of Sega doing a good job updating and taking care of the game.

ashley50
Jul 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Dating rooms for everyone.

mctastee
Jul 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
You forgot to mention the main reason it will be better. I will be playing PSO2. Just kidding, but I remember hearing a lot of complaints about PSU, so it prolly won't be too hard to top it I imagine.

CharAznable
Jul 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
The main reason is that PSU sucks.

Great topic btw ...

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 07:11 PM
It will be even worse. Sega's non-Japanese branches are weaker than ever. If SoJ didn't want to spend money to improve PSU before, they'll be even less motivated now. With it being F2P, SoJ will be able to release only a bare minimum of non-AC stuff like items, quests and whatever else is there, and just keep supplying AC-related garbage so the few suckers who actually pay for the NA/EU version keep doing so. That's how worldwide version of DWO works, if anybody is wondering.

tl;dr: It's going to be a cheap piece of crap, intended solely to make people worldwide fund PSO2JP with as little expense on Sega's part as possible.

HadouMetsu
Jul 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
There doesn't need to be much proof, PSU sucked and PSO2 is 1,000x better of a game.

Yexes
Jul 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
There is one reason why the western release of PSO2 will be several times better than the western release of PSU.

PSU hails from close to the end of a long-gone era of P2P MMOs. The only way to experience all of the game was to pay a subscription, which meant having to actively pay to experience a lack of content in comparison to the Japanese version of the game.

PSO2, however, is F2P. You can play as much of the game as you want, and only pay for extra goodies and services if you want to. That way, your dollar has more power: if you like the way the game is run, you can pay for AC and support the game. If not, you're more than free to not pay for anything. Either way, you can play the game as much as you want.

tl;dr
But to experience all of PSO2 you pay more than 10 dollars a month.... I don't get it

Blackheart521
Jul 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
But to experience all of PSO2 you pay more than 10 dollars a month.... I don't get it

Do you really NEED all of that every month? I sure as hell don't but if you do that's your own mindset, it is perfectly fun to play the game without premium. ^^

Retehi
Jul 13, 2012, 07:42 PM
Superman 64 was better than PSU.

Mag-X
Jul 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
One thing that I'm sure contributed to the extreme lack up updates for PSU was definitely Microsoft. Microsoft has a lot of rules about how many updates can be done, and how many of those can be free. They don't care if it's an MMO or not. They control the service, and the rules are the rules.

The Japanese version of PSU was overwhelmingly played on PC. On the PC they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. They made some significant upgrades after finally dumping the PS2 version.

So hopefully things go better this time with no middle man in the way.

I'm sure we won't get as good of support as the Japanese version though. I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as PSU was.

Dan Maku
Jul 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
One thing that I'm sure contributed to the extreme lack up updates for PSU was definitely Microsoft. Microsoft has a lot of rules about how many updates can be done, and how many of those can be free. They don't care if it's an MMO or not. They control the service, and the rules are the rules.

The Japanese version of PSU was overwhelmingly played on PC. On the PC they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. They made some significant upgrades after finally dumping the PS2 version.

So hopefully things go better this time with no middle man in the way.

I'm sure we won't get as good of support as the Japanese version though. I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as PSU was.

There is that, too. With PSO2 being priamarily on the PC, there aren't as many restrictions (if any) to hold content back.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
Yet worldwide PC version of PSU was the first one to close.

MysticSerenity
Jul 13, 2012, 08:01 PM

Only because SEGA thought it would be unfair to update the pc server and leave the 360 players behind. If it was pc only we "might" have had better support and updates, but even then I wouldn't count on it.

Meruru
Jul 13, 2012, 08:06 PM
So much PSU hate in this topic lol. Are there people here that actually like PSU?
Back on topic, the fact that PSO2 is f2p is the main reason it will be more successful
than the US PSU. People in the US hate subscriptions, that's why when an MH game comes out
we always get f2p, while JP gets subscriptions.

Mag-X
Jul 13, 2012, 08:11 PM
The Xbox 360 isn't very popular in Japan, and the PS2 version was just a terrible idea, so that pretty much left the PC version by default. In America however, the Xbox 360 is very common, and if you've read the PC hardware thread here, you know PSO players tend to be on the lower end of the bell curve for PC hardware.

So much PSU hate in this topic lol. Are there people here that actually like PSU?

I liked the Japanese version.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 08:11 PM
It will be successful, it just won't be any good. Sega didn't want to spend money to improve a game that people had to pay for, what makes you think they'll bother doing anything about the game they can play for free?

Mag-X
Jul 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
It will be successful, it just won't be any good. Sega didn't want to spend money to improve a game that people had to pay for, what makes you think they'll bother doing anything about the game they can play for free?

Because they made pretty decent additions and improvements to JP PSU?

Asuni
Jul 13, 2012, 08:19 PM
Japanese PSO will always be better :3

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 08:19 PM
Because they made pretty decent additions and improvements to JP PSU?

Which, by the way, stayed on the JP PSU servers and have never made it worldwide. Since, you know, the servers are separated.

TheKin
Jul 13, 2012, 08:23 PM
You people seem to undervalue PSO2 and it's free to play advantage. The key thing with F2P is that it's become such a standard that MMO after MMO has copied this playstyle. Why charge people 15$ a month and snag 10,000 players when you can essentially let people pay what they want and snag 50,000 players that'll drop 10$ every once in a while. The whole F2P scene has really taken off since it was introduced, so much in fact that companies like Perfect World Entertainment and Aeria Games still are going strong.

The one advantage PSO2 has over these F2P MMO's though is it's gameplay. Simply put, PSO2 does a lot to break the mold. It's a lot like RaiderZ / Tera in it's gameplay and moves away from the "stand here and push 1-2-1-4-5 in a sequence" games like EQ and WoW. It's refreshing to see combat actually evolve, even if this isn't technically an MMORPG.

And, what they said is right. With F2P model, service is a must. Content must be included in some sort of schedule or else your profits will drop like a rock. Long story short, the service on a F2P has to be somewhat adequate or it will fail and fail hard. PSU was horrible, The Kin agrees, but this is because, in all honesty, the 360 limited a lot of this among other things. This game has a few advantages for now, so don't count it out just yet. SoJ may collaborate with SoA to see that we get some patches in a timely manner.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 08:28 PM
You people seem to undervalue PSO2 and it's free to play advantage. The key thing with F2P is that it's become such a standard that MMO after MMO has copied this playstyle. Why charge people 15$ a month and snag 10,000 players when you can essentially let people pay what they want and snag 50,000 players that'll drop 10$ every once in a while. The whole F2P scene has really taken off since it was introduced, so much in fact that companies like Perfect World Entertainment and Aeria Games still are going strong.

The one advantage PSO2 has over these F2P MMO's though is it's gameplay. Simply put, PSO2 does a lot to break the mold. It's a lot like RaiderZ / Tera in it's gameplay and moves away from the "stand here and push 1-2-1-4-5 in a sequence" games like EQ and WoW. It's refreshing to see combat actually evolve, even if this isn't technically an MMORPG.

And, what they said is right. With F2P model, service is a must. Content must be included in some sort of schedule or else your profits will drop like a rock. Long story short, the service on a F2P has to be somewhat adequate or it will fail and fail hard. PSU was horrible, The Kin agrees, but this is because, in all honesty, the 360 limited a lot of this among other things. This game has a few advantages for now, so don't count it out just yet. SoJ may collaborate with SoA to see that we get some patches in a timely manner.

More likely than not, they'll only release new AC Scratch in a timely (except 1 year later) manner, and lots of free stuff may never see the light of day outside of Japan. Since you've mentioned Aeria, you should know how well did it do with Dynasty Warriors Online. Aeria/KOEITecmo = SoA/SoJ, anyone?

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
I personally agree that PSO2 will be run better than PSU was in the US. I agree with your points and all but I also have to add that people are also completely on the mindset that it will be bad because SoA. Well, what if SoA has pulled their act together since then? It is possible, I've know that worse companies have had huge turnarounds...so why not SoA?

Also, if we are a few months or so behind JP and you guys complain I don't even know what you would be thinking. I have never seen a NA version of an MMO that has all the major things that the original version has at the same time unless the original hasn't been adding too many major things recently. Most NA versions of MMOs are a few months behind, and some a year because the NA version was released much later. I will only agree with complaining about it if we are about a year or more behind since NA is getting it probably only about half a year or so after JP or if we are being completely screwed content-wise and not getting many things that we should. When it comes to F2P it is NECESSARY for them to get new content at a good rate or they will lose profits. I am confident that english PSO2 will do a lot better than US PSU did.

Dan Maku
Jul 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
It isn't going to be better though I would rather watch paint dry over playing PSO2 and just because it is F2P will not change the kind of service it receives.
PSO2 sucks!

If you don't like PSO2, then why are you even here?

My Troll-Sense is tingling...

AyAmor
Jul 13, 2012, 08:43 PM
I agree i think the game will be good and successful with support. Why would they spend time and money on a game just to let it fail? Heck you even got people in the fighting game scene talking about pso2. Now that its going F2P it's even more motivation to do better since the value of the dollar is worth more.

Metalsnake27
Jul 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
More likely than not, they'll only release new AC Scratch in a timely (except 1 year later) manner, and lots of free stuff may never see the light of day outside of Japan. Since you've mentioned Aeria, you should know how well did it do with Dynasty Warriors Online. Aeria/KOEITecmo = SoA/SoJ, anyone?

Which is the reason I, and many others, left DWO... (and I was a Game Sage for Aeria too)

Koei completly does not care about the English version, the support is crap.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 08:59 PM
Which is the reason I left DWO... (and I was a Game Sage for Aeria too)

Koei completly does not care about the English version, the support is crap.

It's not about KOEI, it's about how regional game servers are treated in general. The reason why segregated servers are created in the first place is because it is deemed unprofitable to actually support the game globally. Instead, there is a "main" version, which is worth for the company to throw money at, since a lot more will come back, and other versions, which only get minimal support, enough to get a few people to spend their money on them. And if those versions stop bringing enough pocket change, the company can just turn them off with no harm to their actual audience.

lilibat
Jul 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
I played PSU & PSO2 the latter is fun, the former not so much.

/done

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 09:15 PM
I didn't know the requirements to read/post on these forums was to be in love with PSO2.
O wait... it isn't

I want you to ponder this
If you are so in love with the game why aren't you playing this amazing game instead of posting?

PSO2 is boring
/end of thread

I still question people like you, who make an account for a forum for a game they don't like just to bash it.
It is just like those people on YouTube who purposely look up videos of games/movies/music/shows/etc. they don't like just so they can insult it and the people who play/watch/listen to it in the comments.

I find it troll-like and childish.

Arika
Jul 13, 2012, 09:30 PM

Actually, because of this, SEGA is going to shut it down as soon as they think that people not pay enough AC.

SoA is on its one leg, it can't handle much of money problem. a few month with no profit may kill it. Chance that the game will get shut down is just high.

jmanx
Jul 13, 2012, 09:42 PM
PSU sucked when it was born nuff said

Kenjits
Jul 13, 2012, 09:55 PM
Didn't wanna read through the posts but another reason is cause Microsoft has to test every single thing that people wanna put on xbox. In this case most likely led to a lot of things on PSU not to come out. While on the PC I have a feeling maybe Sega won't have this problem on the PC. (I hope.)

Zari
Jul 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
You know, I would laugh if it actually was all because of Microsoft and SoA didn't actually have much to do with US PSU's failure.

Fujiko
Jul 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
Didn't wanna read through the posts but another reason is cause Microsoft has to test every single thing that people wanna put on xbox. In this case most likely led to a lot of things on PSU not to come out. While on the PC I have a feeling maybe Sega won't have this problem on the PC. (I hope.)

PSU was still on the ps2/pc and had these problems. PSU wasn't only on Xbox, they didn't hesitate to can the ps2/pc versions when it wasn't profitable. Also PSO BB had terrible support and was on the PC.

That is my main concern, if PSO2 isn't profitable in NA/EU quickly, they might not even try to support it. With anything that is not working they just might kill ASAP, since Sega in each of these regions is pretty much on life support.

Anna_Wren
Jul 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Again and again with the "Its Microsoft's Fault" line that Edward has shoved into your throats.

Look, 360 PSU is only getting shut down for PSO2 to use its servers. The game was always fairly popular on the 360 in its niche and had new players (150k+ IDs) just a couples weeks ago.

Sega has NEVER advertised the game and it did so well on the 360 due to its unique style.

As others have well pointed out, Sega drops the ball on the PC versions first and the main reasons are obvious: Cheating and low player base. 360 had an asston of shithead players, but it was also a far safer game. The whole "Test first before release" is a GOOD THING. PSO2 JP players may agree seeing as how many Server Maints that have happened lately.

To TRULY make PSO2 better here, I'd say Sega needs to fire Edward and hire people who give a fuck about the game. Anyone who would tell its customers to "Just don't play" is a horrible mindset. He Presided over at least THREE game server shutdowns in less than 3 years. He almost never played PSU on 360. What, exactly, do you think he will do on PSO2?

"Hey guys, I just hit the new level cap in Mists of Pandaria!!! Come play with me, and fuck PSO2"

He has lied, tried to give false hope and generally acted like a terrible clerk at Burger King "Yo, I just spit in ya burger, now enjoy it or GTFO to McDonalds"

Dabian
Jul 13, 2012, 10:26 PM
PSOW did more for PSU's publicity than Sega did. Nuff said.

Anna_Wren
Jul 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
Yes, actually, it did. And now PSOW is teamed with Sega for PSO2.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Wonder when will posts that say that non-JP version sucks start getting deleted.

Anna_Wren
Jul 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
If they do, it will be more likely after the game comes out.

EvilMag
Jul 13, 2012, 10:39 PM
And they'll also add in a rule saying NO BASHING SOA!

I will seriously be disappointed if the PSOW staff turns into a bunch of sellouts.

jmanx
Jul 13, 2012, 10:41 PM
PSOW did more for PSU's publicity than Sega did. Nuff said.

WAY TO PROMOTE A TERRIBLE GAME

Ezodagrom
Jul 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
I personally agree that PSO2 will be run better than PSU was in the US. I agree with your points and all but I also have to add that people are also completely on the mindset that it will be bad because SoA. Well, what if SoA has pulled their act together since then? It is possible, I've know that worse companies have had huge turnarounds...so why not SoA?
Because SoA recently delayed a game that is ready to be released from July 2012 to Q1 2013, Anarchy Reigns. The developers, Platinum Games, mentioned that the Japanese version (which was released recently) and the English version are identical, and they didn't even know about the delay until SoA mentioned it on twitter.

Noblewine
Jul 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
The fact that pso2 plays like psu but the combat is faster (hopefully no lag issues) with the dash and block is one of the reason I'm giving it a chance. I just hope the game is managed better compared to psu. That's what ruined it. PSU was a good game what ruined it was how it was managed and the story.

Dunno, about the chaining. What does it even do? Increase damage like it did in PSP2?

Cyclon
Jul 13, 2012, 11:00 PM
"pushes the door"
... hey, is that the optimistic side?
Hm, think I'll be staying here for a bit.

As some have said, this game is pretty good. I actually have played quite a few F2P MMO's, and they can't really compare to it imho.
Of course, it would be too simple if just being a good game was enough. But what can I say, I really thought it was going to suck big time, and the fact is, it doesn't. I really like it, as a matter of fact. So there is a part of me right now that thinks... maybe they will surprise me again. Who knows.

Sp-24
Jul 13, 2012, 11:21 PM
I really wanted this game to do good worldwide since, as you've said, it is very good. But it's like Sega is determined to handle everything as wrongly as possible. It's like that "Springtime for Hitler" movie, except Sega may actually pull it off.

Quadocky
Jul 14, 2012, 12:20 AM
I liked PSU. And Free to play Games rarely fail because they will almost always have a stable population with a steady flow of people paying money.

Konflyk
Jul 14, 2012, 01:24 AM
PSU player base, Console peasants all begging for 360 version on FB group
PSU PC/PS2 first to go due to low install base because of console peasants
PSO2 will fail in the US for the same reason, console peasants are the majority
/thread

Dan Maku
Jul 14, 2012, 01:31 AM
PSU player base, Console peasants all begging for 360 version on FB group
PSU PC/PS2 first to go due to low install base because of console peasants
PSO2 will fail in the US for the same reason, console peasants are the majority
/thread

...except PSO2 will not be on consoles.

And don't you /thread me, ma'am. I'll decide when my threads are over, thank you very much.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 01:58 AM
What is this PSO2-US thing about, isn't it PSO2 NA/EU? Feels bad to be yoropiyan

Powder Keg
Jul 14, 2012, 02:02 AM

tl;dr
While the bolded part is true and will hopefully be for most, Problem is the PSO fanbase has too many diehards who will spill an obscene amount of money no matter how much the US server sucks compared to JP's.

Vylera
Jul 14, 2012, 02:11 AM

It'll make the game more easily accessable, and therefore more popular, but whether the service SEGA USA provides is good enough is something that most people would say isn't going to happen.

I can agree that the F2P factor will help PSO2's cause, but that's the only thing we can be sure of.

Dan Maku
Jul 14, 2012, 02:16 AM
What is this PSO2-US thing about, isn't it PSO2 NA/EU? Feels bad to be yoropiyan

PSO2-US is my personal shorthand for all of the western releases of the game. I don't mean to alienate Europeans or nothing. ^^;

BogusKun
Jul 14, 2012, 02:35 AM
I am definitely Ryu20ing it out on the western release.

Renvalt
Jul 14, 2012, 03:03 AM
I'll be trying it out too. But I really want those hacker brats to keep their friggin hands to themselves. This is one of the biggest MMO killers - immature little brats who want what they want, and want it now, or else they "gon' pop a cap in yo' ass" like some twisted version of a hiphop gangster that they somehow idolize for whatever reason.

The second thing that might kill the game is the employees and management looking at this game as a means to gain a quick buck. Which as we've seen by the "Corporate Friends of insert-whatever-corporate-con-artist-you-want-here", usually tends to slow the game's progress down.

I mean, Nexon (to use an example) has had, at one point or another, employees that actually cared about both player and game and really strived to make it better. However, for some inane and stupid reason, Nexon got scared of the love these employees got, and gave them scripts to make said users hate them - believing their users to be mere android slaves who pay them money "cuz we be awsumsawce peeps yo". This happened for two games - MapleStory (NxProse and his Masteria content, which got hijacked to no end and the developer fired because he was too well liked) and Dungeon Fighter Online (Alteris and his attempts to be more human with the playerbase, as well as Justin Wong who was kept from a number of features the game had and was more a publicity stunt hiring than anything).

Not to rant too much on Nexon, but SoA seems to heavily be going this route - given what I've seen from ol' Eddie. Some of the Japanese companies are starting to realize how big the world is, and are actually giving the fans what they want (i.e. the Agarest Senki series - most of the game's content is intact, save for just English text translation; plus the innuendo in THAT series would make H-Games wish they were that safe for America). I mean, hell, even Ishiwatari knows his Guilty Gear fans are wantin' some lovin' all over the world (as evidenced by the new GGXX:AC+R release).

Granted, there are risks, and not everything flows so smoothly, but what Sega's doing is a mere travesty. What I've seen here is different from Crapcom's bias - Sega's bias seems to be racially motivated. I mean, look at the Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage Remake: despite being original and an honest fan tribute, SEGA hit it so hard with a C&D that the remake has to be smuggled. In other words - SEGA hates anything that won't turn a profit. Unfortunately, as time has shown, you piss off your fans and you kiss your existence goodbye.

Gaming's lifeblood is its fans - without them, your industry wouldn't exist today.

SolRiver
Jul 14, 2012, 03:09 AM
What game did you guys play beside PSO series that had great online support from Sega (or more importantly, close to equal level support compared to JP)?

Given how bad PSU support was... I think it is pretty hard to be worst than it.

Renvalt
Jul 14, 2012, 03:15 AM
What game did you guys play beside PSO series that had great online support from Sega (or more importantly, close to equal level support compared to JP)?

The only other game by Sega that I've touched would be Spiral Knights - and I'm still on the fence about that one. From the reports I've heard, though, content's lackluster, though the gameplay concept's quite nice...... and a bunch of other shit I don't want to mention.

Actually, wait - the game's got a huge paysink in it. You only get 100 Energy a day, and you can EASILY burn out in an hour. Not to mention, this game literally THRIVES off of people throwing money at Sega and Three Rings.

So yeah, I see your point. Sega's a bunch of money hoars. Somebody call the friggin ethics police - these guys have lost all notion of common sense.

Vylera
Jul 14, 2012, 03:20 AM

Given how bad PSU support was... I think it is pretty hard to be worst than it.

I don't think things are looking good when the only thing we can compare with is the lowest standard.

So yeah, I see your point. Sega's a bunch of money hoars. Somebody call the friggin ethics police - these guys have lost all notion of common sense.

Seems to me that you're new in the MMO world.

It's a business. Get used to it.

Or just don't play games.

Lostbob117
Jul 14, 2012, 03:22 AM
pso2 is better than psu period.

Renvalt
Jul 14, 2012, 04:11 AM
Seems to me that you're new in the MMO world.

It's a business. Get used to it.

Or just don't play games.

Incorrect. It's just that you adhere to the belief that MMO makers have to be the lowest scum of the earth to survive.

Obviously you can't please everybody - but it's how quickly you assuage customer concerns that makes or breaks your rep.

When you provide the customer with a pleasant playing experience, they will in turn please you by paying money to support you - any amount they can and want to. Some don't pay at all, but then you have those that are tempted (even if slightly) to buy something from the item mall.

I have yet to see a MMO developer make a game that people enjoyed and that wasn't COMPLETELY laid to waste by hackers. Granted, hackers WILL exist, no matter the game - but it's how prevalent the hacking is, how often it occurs, and how swiftly it is dealt with that determines this particular factor of a game's rating.

Obviously, you'll have some butthurt children who'll throw a tantrum and hack the game because they don't like management's decision to do something. And while it may not destroy the game (assuming the company doesn't intentionally let it happen, of course) it does make gameplay annoying.

However, I have to ask: Why the HELL are you guys so interested in staying on the Japanese server? I mean, I know SoA's customer service is bad, but I feel like that's one big issue clouding a bunch of other shit. I mean, you like seiyuus, but bash English VAs before they even get a chance? Why?

You like Japanese culture, but not American? Is this a form of anti-American hate I see? If so, I'd like you to meet my fist. It's been DYING to meet you. Badly. Because you Francos, Bassolinis, and Udenschtats are honestly pissing me off (as is a number of things and people in this world - but I'll save the list as it does tend to get a bit..... bad. Like, Nazi racist bad.)

Honestly, WHY do you guys feel like time is against you that you can't pick up the work again? Do you cling to power? Does it make you feel special? I know you did all that work and hate to see it go, but really, there's no impending apocalypse preventing you from getting back to where you were in the JP server. And of course, you know what to do now, so you need half the explanation of how things work.

You KNEW this was coming, and yet you felt entitled that SEGA should treat you special because of little convoluted factors you know nothing about. Granted, I'll be fair and admit I don't know anything about it either. But still, you're not the Son/Daughter of God, nor the Prince/Princess of the Internet - stop acting like you deserve everything you ask for.

To sum all this up: Quit acting like a conceited little bitch, and be reasonable with what you ask for, okay? Because some of this community's demands are a little.... excessive. To the point where from my end it looks like harassment of the Japanese (from a certain viewpoint of things).

Ezodagrom
Jul 14, 2012, 08:05 AM
However, I have to ask: Why the HELL are you guys so interested in staying on the Japanese server? I mean, I know SoA's customer service is bad, but I feel like that's one big issue clouding a bunch of other shit. I mean, you like seiyuus, but bash English VAs before they even get a chance? Why?

You like Japanese culture, but not American? Is this a form of anti-American hate I see? If so, I'd like you to meet my fist. It's been DYING to meet you. Badly. Because you Francos, Bassolinis, and Udenschtats are honestly pissing me off (as is a number of things and people in this world - but I'll save the list as it does tend to get a bit..... bad. Like, Nazi racist bad.)

Honestly, WHY do you guys feel like time is against you that you can't pick up the work again? Do you cling to power? Does it make you feel special? I know you did all that work and hate to see it go, but really, there's no impending apocalypse preventing you from getting back to where you were in the JP server. And of course, you know what to do now, so you need half the explanation of how things work.

You KNEW this was coming, and yet you felt entitled that SEGA should treat you special because of little convoluted factors you know nothing about. Granted, I'll be fair and admit I don't know anything about it either. But still, you're not the Son/Daughter of God, nor the Prince/Princess of the Internet - stop acting like you deserve everything you ask for.

To sum all this up: Quit acting like a conceited little bitch, and be reasonable with what you ask for, okay? Because some of this community's demands are a little.... excessive. To the point where from my end it looks like harassment of the Japanese (from a certain viewpoint of things).
Why I'll keep playing in the JP servers? That's simple, better and faster support, faster updates.

About english voice acting, I like watching things in their original/intended language, for example, I prefer to watch anime in japanese, american cartoons/series in english (no way I would want to watch something like The Simpsons dubbed in my native language).

Culture? I don't care about that, I just want to play this game, and I choose to support the company that provides me with the better service, SEGA of Japan.

Why should I play in the english version if I can just play in the superior japanese version?

EvilMag
Jul 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
I play the JP version because I'd like to play the real version of the game. Not the ugly stepchild version.

Blizz3112
Jul 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
But that version hasn't even been made yet... so, you can't judge that yet...
Sure, updates are nice and all, but some people want to know what they are doing or are not really fans of japanese games being, you know, too japanese...

I have friends who love PSPo2, but would never buy PSPo2i, because its still only in japanese...

The Walrus
Jul 14, 2012, 03:39 PM
This game is really easy to work with even with the language barrier. It's not like anyone plays it for the plot or characters anyway :/

Sakarisei
Jul 14, 2012, 05:02 PM
But that version hasn't even been made yet... so, you can't judge that yet...
Sure, updates are nice and all, but some people want to know what they are doing or are not really fans of japanese games being, you know, too japanese...

I have friends who love PSPo2, but would never buy PSPo2i, because its still only in japanese...

They can judge because they ditrust a lot of SoA so... for seeing once again slow updates and then failing the server... no thanks.

Don't forget this: We're clients who pay us to SEGA for their services (Which services aren't cheap). And a client who has paid in other times can judge to a company for their failures whether we will or not. And don't forget too that a nice company should listen to their clients, foreigners of Japan or no.

Greetings.

Hayde
Jul 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
Well...it is a F2P game; if Sega wants people to participate in purchasing Cash Shop/AC items, they're going to need to bring content along with it for the ride. Unlike previous installments--they don't get to say "Hah! We got your $60! Screw you!" you're also not paying monthly fee either..in an essence, if they don't deliver...no one pays for cash shop items.

That's my 2 cents anyway, though I'm likely to stay on the Japanese server and make an alt on the US ones to play with my friends.

Macman
Jul 14, 2012, 07:50 PM
you're also not paying monthly fee either..in an essence, if they don't deliver...no one pays for cash shop items.
And then instead of delivering content people want, they pull the plug a year after release because "the western market has no interest in our product."

This is non-JP Phantasy Star in a nutshell.

Renvalt
Jul 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
And then instead of delivering content people want, they pull the plug a year after release because "the western market has no interest in our product."

This is non-JP Phantasy Star in a nutshell.

Yet you have to remember that Phantasy Star is already an obscure series to begin with - it's not exactly on the list of top 5 RPG series people will list.

From recollection, that list heavily seems to be (in no particular order):

1. Final Fantasy (specifically 7 and all the Cloud weeaboo fags)
2. Kingdom Hearts (those Sora fans are worse than Bielebers on crack, and that shit's already bad enough - and you also have the Cloud fags here too)
3. Persona (This one ironically took a while to get popular, and only does so because of all that fancy-shmancy J-Pop - that and Minato got some of Cloud's fags on his side)
4. Shin Megami Tensei (3 and 4 are separate due to Persona being a spinoff - and I do believe Hito-shura is overrated and has too many fags)
5. Tales of (This one's obscure, but even more so if you remove all those voice actors from the picture - only reason this even had face outside the states is that goddamn Lowenthal. God, somebody crucify that asshole.)

Here in America, series are more heard of if you have characters that leave an impression upon people. Voice actors can help this substantially, but more or less the impressionability of a character is what makes a mark on American culture. Phantasy Star doesn't exactly have that luxury, sadly - hence why it's so terrible compared to the "Eldoooken" Ryu and the "Emo Boy" Cloud. I found nothing about any of the Tales characters impressionable, and in fact, Lowenthal's the whole reason they do well at all - thanks in no part to his work in *snaps a branch in half* Naru-fucking-to. I hate that show, and I hate the little idiots it breeds (I had something uglier to say but it violates the rules so I'll say something less violent).

Zipzo
Jul 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
This game is really easy to work with even with the language barrier. It's not like anyone plays it for the plot or characters anyway :/
YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

Vintasticvin
Jul 15, 2012, 01:04 AM
Dan Maku and don't forget whether we get smurfed again or not you can bet its gonna be a wild party in the western side of community til news of shutting down happens -^_^- Also Why can't the english JP and and home server players get along :( Its hurtful to see all the fighting.

Shade_Koopa
Jul 15, 2012, 01:07 AM
Dan Maku and don't forget whether we get smurfed again or not you can bet its gonna be a wild party in the western side of community til news of shutting down happens -^_^- Also Why can't the english JP and and home server players get along :( Its hurtful to see all the fighting.

YOu saying US players and English JP players are fighting? Probably because we US players are pissed that we'll never get the content that JPN/ENglish JP Players get.

I wouldn't mind playing the US version so long as we get the every content the JPN players get. If we 5-6 months behind, that's fine. But if we just get scraps, PSO 2 is dead in dead in the US...

Alisha
Jul 15, 2012, 01:22 AM
the ignorance in this thread about phantasy star portable 2 and infinity is staggering.

phantasy star portable 2 was free to play online. the jp version had both paid and free dlc and we got neither. so dont automatically think things will be better

Renvalt
Jul 15, 2012, 01:43 AM
YOu saying US players and English JP players are fighting? Probably because we US players are pissed that we'll never get the content that JPN/ENglish JP Players get.

I wouldn't mind playing the US version so long as we get the every content the JPN players get. If we 5-6 months behind, that's fine. But if we just get scraps, PSO 2 is dead in dead in the US...

Seems you forgot that Americans get a bad rap from the Japanese for being so obsessed over that aspect of their culture. I mean, Japan has better things about their culture than mere anime/video games. For instance, dem katanas.
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs7/i/2005/216/b/2/Katana_by_evil.jpg
[/SPOILER-BOX]
That was among the first reasons I liked Japan, the second being the old fashioned Samurai armors (this was back when I knew nothing about their history or media culture, which I now want to learn more about the former, and wish the hype would tone down on the latter). When I accidentally happened upon the JP Version of Yugioh GX (this was back when the only cartoons I knew were voiced in English, and foreign language stuff was taboo to me), it took the form of a poison that has now corrupted me by this point. Even if I could, chances are taking back that one moment would be a pinnacle of international ignorance.

However, I still hold katanas, samurai, and ninja close to my heart as the biggest reasons why I love Japan. And no, not the Rurouni Kenshin types either - we're talking these kind:
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Samurai.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

But yes - I think someone said that SoJ might start overassuming Western culture and release stuff accordingly? Well, they're no more guilty of that than we are guilty of obsessing over their video game and anime culture (especially their hentai - the lengths some idiots will go to to get their hands on the loli type content is appalling).

We're not the good guys here, and Japan ain't sinless either. We both hold an equal share of blame here.

And PSO2 is gonna die here anyways - if it's not a Kingdom Hearts tribute-type, if it doesn't have Bosch/Lowenthal/insert-random-overhyped-English-VA-here, if it doesn't have super heavy impressionable characters, then yes. It will die.

A majority of the American gaming public is a bunch of immature little fags who need something super cool and super flashy to shout like the fucking weeaboo Narutards/Bleachfags they are. While I don't like admitting that this won't change, it doesn't make me any happier admitting the problem either.

moorebounce
Jul 15, 2012, 01:53 AM
I know a lot of people will be staying on the Japanese servers. I will be playing between both but most of my time will be spent on the NA/EU servers. I will most likely be playing on the JP servers if they get stuff first. For one thing on the NA/EU servers I'll be able to read everything. Plus I'll be able to buy AC w/o the price gouging. I'll have all my characters on one account too.

Edit: Whatever happened to people using "Spoiler" boxes for big ass pictures?

Renvalt
Jul 15, 2012, 03:05 AM
I know a lot of people will be staying on the Japanese servers. I will be playing between both but most of my time will be spent on the NA/EU servers. I will most likely be playing on the JP servers if they get stuff first. For one thing on the NA/EU servers I'll be able to read everything. Plus I'll be able to buy AC w/o the price gouging. I'll have all my characters on one account too.

Edit: Whatever happened to people using "Spoiler" boxes for big ass pictures?

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to do that but it just blacked out the URL. Excuse me while I go try and figure out how to fix that.

EDIT: You guys REALLY need to make it clearer which tags use a masking spoiler and which use the box type - no way I would've figured that out just by looking.

Kirukia
Jul 15, 2012, 03:56 AM
The thing that I'm honestly worried about is an IP ban.
Most of the people I've talked to have said they won't play the translated version, or that they will play it occasionally but use the japanese servers for their main account.

I just don't want SoJ to force us to go to SoA. But really, the biggest problem is that nobody WANTS to play the SoA version, so it's going to fail because you can just play the JP version and have more a guarantee for service and account safety (since it very likely won't fall on it's face and shut down a year later after you've put effort into it).

It will be months before the translated version gets released. I feel like there will be an english patch before then, and if not before then right afterwards. There just doesn't seem to be a point to play the SoA version, even for the language.

Cyrusnagisa
Jul 15, 2012, 08:03 AM
I really wish that once the English version comes out, people will support their own release, if you do that, we will have more of a chance that PSO2 US/EU will last longer

GeordieP
Jul 15, 2012, 09:10 AM
There doesn't need to be much proof, PSU sucked and PSO2 is 1,000x better of a game.

PSU would have been a good game had it not lost support from japan.
PSO2 is boring and the gameplay is a joke i.e. auto aim... like wtf to that? "but, but, but, but the drops will be hard!?!" .... riiiiight!

As for the OP your logic is flawed.... The "full experience" wont be available without buying arks cash.

Agitated_AT
Jul 15, 2012, 11:00 AM
I'll be supporting it for a month, see how things go and then base my conclusions on that. I side with the people that we should at least not give them a reason to perhaps think theres not enough support from the players to make it not worth putting effort into the service. That way the conclusion we can made will be crystal clear, which would be that SOA just still sucks ballz, even when it takes an amazing game thats easy to sell.

Macman
Jul 15, 2012, 12:18 PM
Yet you have to remember that Phantasy Star is already an obscure series to begin with - it's not exactly on the list of top 5 RPG series people will list.

It's obscure because they never freaking bother to get the word out themselves. How hard is it to get a 30-second commercial slot on some kid's channel? MHTri had a fair share of TV adverts and I think that sold pretty well for a series that I would guess is just about as obscure as Phantasy Star.

If they would just put the effort into it... :-?

moorebounce
Jul 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
I really wish that once the English version comes out, people will support their own release, if you do that, we will have more of a chance that PSO2 US/EU will last longer

I played PSU but not enough of it was good enough for me to support it. Like someone else mentioned PSO2 is 1,000 times better than PSU. So I don't see support as an issue.

DemonMike
Jul 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm slightly confused. What exactly do people mean when they say 'support'?

Do you mean support as in just simply playing the NA/EU version?

Or do you mean support as in buying AC?

Macman
Jul 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Both helps, to some extent.
AC buyers are obviously helping keep the game afloat, but free players are still helping by getting the word out (telling friends, etc.)

Xeno88
Jul 15, 2012, 12:40 PM
I'm slightly confused. What exactly do people mean when they say 'support'?

Do you mean support as in just simply playing the NA/EU version?

Or do you mean support as in buying AC?

Also banning cheaters and patching the afflicted code in a timely manner

Hayde
Jul 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'm just curious as to how I "didn't" support the older titles. I've played PSO DC, PSOv2 DC JP, PSOv2 DC US, PSO GC JP, PSO GC US, PSOv2 for PC, PSO: BB, PSU PS2, PSU PC. I've dropped my $50~60 on every installment, and paid my monthly fees where it was due.

I've always started with the JP titles, and swapped to the US versions when it came out; but after nearly a decade of doing that...I just don't see the reason to. I'm not anti-US version, but I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be pounding copious amounts of cash to the AC shop in order to "hope" I get the same service and content as the JP version, when it doesn't matter whether I pay $5 or $50 towards AC on the JP version, and get just as much content.

I don't know if SoA will get this right, but most successful F2P titles roll out content regularly for the sake of giving players incentive to spend money on the cash shop, it's odd to think people are thinking of it reversely. Do you think LOTR would have survived its conversion to F2P if they only released one patch every 8-12 months? Why do you think Runes of Magic remains as one of the most popular F2P titles?

Yuicihi
Jul 15, 2012, 12:50 PM
If anyone remembers the PSU beta on 360, it's not that people don't know of Phantasy Star. People certainly do remember PSO very fondly. Why did all of those people go after the beta was over?

They now had to pay for both the game and the monthly subscription, and in most cases, Xbox Live Gold. That's quite a bit of money to drop at once, and Sega botched the launch content-wise quite spectacularly if I recall, giving people even less of a reason to bother.

I would imagine that PSO2 will fare quite a bit better in terms of number of users, although not quite as well as it could have been. I remember talking to quite a few people who were unwilling to give Zero or Portable 2 a shot after Universe.

Will Sega actually support these servers? It's possible, but I wouldn't place money on the fanbase being happy with the support. The Japanese servers will always come first in Sega's mind.

Renvalt
Jul 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
It's obscure because they never freaking bother to get the word out themselves. How hard is it to get a 30-second commercial slot on some kid's channel? MHTri had a fair share of TV adverts and I think that sold pretty well for a series that I would guess is just about as obscure as Phantasy Star.

If they would just put the effort into it... :-?

Yeah, that also happens to be another gripe about this that I really loathe. The fact that, y'know, WE'RE not spreading the word as actively as we should isn't helping either. There's so many more KH/FF fanvids out there that I really think our voice isn't as loud as it should be - if we did some more publicity, it might help SEGA with sales.

If SEGA decides to send us C&Ds, then we respond with: It's your funeral if you won't do the work your fans are doing. We were just tryin' to help, but you can dig your own grave, I guess.

In part, WE have to be the force of "spreading word" that SEGA refuses to be, if only because we truly love this game.

Vintasticvin
Jul 15, 2012, 03:40 PM

I wouldn't mind playing the US version so long as we get every content the JPN players get. If we're 5-6 months behind, that's fine. But if we just get scraps, PSO 2 is dead in dead in the US...

No, no its dead to just you and whoever feels the same also I did you a favor and edited your post +^_^+

Quadocky
Jul 15, 2012, 10:06 PM

I do...

:disapprove:

Dark Emerald EXE
Jul 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
Random question...
Does PSO2 actually have GMs?
Or is it just go to the site and state your concern