PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Skill Tree Effectiveness?

Stegodon
Jul 14, 2012, 05:39 AM
Hey guys soo stumbled onto something wierd... Rather 1. Im retarded and have no idea what S-Atk does.... or its just not worth it.. if anyone knows let me know pls.

Recently i purchased a 2nd skill tree for my hunter and decided to go all S-Atk skills to boost my abilities.(right click attacks??) This is my new tree for S-Atk. http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/hunter.html?01HU!IKI2IbInqnGDfGDqnI2

and Here was my OLD tree specializing in Just Attacks. http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/hunter.html?01HU!IKI2IbInqnGKcA4Qj

Now for some reason... My S-Atks (right click Abilities) do the same if not MORE damage in my original build... Which is about 17 less SP of S-Atk then the new tree i made. Im a little confused.... according to the tool tips Just Attack Sp skills DO NOT apply to my S-Atks.... But Realistically i do LESS damage when i spec into S-Atk trees.... Im just a little confused.

Are S-Atks NOT my right click abilities??? Or is their something im missing?

Thanks in advance any advice would be appriciaited

Just to be 100% im ONLY talking about the damage on my Right click attacks.... NOT Normal left click attacks

RocSage
Jul 14, 2012, 06:00 AM
S-ATK up, if you have both to max is an extra 100 S-ATK
Just Attack, if you have both to max, assuming you have 500 S-ATK will be equivalent if you hit Just Attack all the time.

I personally have ~800 S-ATK so JA boost would probably better for me as a hunter if I wanted to make sure I always hit JA.

The best way to explain it is...
S-ATK defines rough damage estimate. Let's say 80.
For every attack you swing your damage will be between 60 and 100
Now throwing in Ability defines the range
the higher your Ability the more your damage will move from 60-100 to 70-100 to 80-100 to 90-100, up to 100-100.
JA bonus if i remember right increases your change of hitting a critical which is from the high side of the range OR it adds damage to that critical as a percentage of that damage
So upping your JA either increases your change to get dmg from the 80-100 range if your range is 60-100. OR it increase your dmg by about x% so that if you have a range of 100-100 you will hit 101-120 based on your JA

Assuming you are always hitting you JA and your ability is fairly low it could be that your JA is knocking your dmg into the higher side of your damage and it is just that your ranges are all at just the right place that the JA s doing more damage.

Stegodon
Jul 14, 2012, 06:05 AM
thank u. that makes sense .... Cause it was literally seeming like the skill tree was a lie haha.... I think im like what u said on the higher end i just attack prolly 98% of the time... and all my gear is +40 Striking with +10 armors and Weapons so im assuming as you said my "Margin" for increase is fairly low. So Either way its stacked the damage looks closely similar

Thanks

RocSage
Jul 14, 2012, 06:36 AM
thank u. that makes sense .... Cause it was literally seeming like the skill tree was a lie haha.... I think im like what u said on the higher end i just attack prolly 98% of the time... and all my gear is +40 Striking with +10 armors and Weapons so im assuming as you said my "Margin" for increase is fairly low. So Either way its stacked the damage looks closely similar

Thanks

That's what I think, but I have long been bad at these math problems and don't quite like to figure out it works all together so you might want to wait for someone with more understanding of this stuff to be 100% sure.

Asbeel
Jul 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/hunter.html?01HU!IOI2ebkbqBqxIbGDIbf
I have plans to use this as you see?

gigawuts
Jul 14, 2012, 01:51 PM
I would assume that JA Bonus is 1.1 * damage dealt in Just Attack. I wouldn't really think it adds to your S-ATK when using a Just Attack, but hey anything's possible.

So S-ATK Up is better when you have low S-ATK, but JA Bonus is better when you have high S-ATK. The only question is what the amount of S-ATK is. Honestly, both are fine routes until we know, and they'll probably both still be fine when we find out.

darkfalz16
Jul 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
ive tested both of these builds myself JA build is more worth it

s.atk build
s.atk 490
total atk 1,101 w/ max fury stance 951 without
speed rain non JA'd 200 JA'd 260

JA build
s.atk 436
total atk 1,047 w/ max fury stance 897 without
speed rain non JA'd 180 JA'd 290-300

speed rain is a partisan PA. also i have ability at 371 all these tests were using ragne lance w/ 371 atk on caves mobs .
s.atk will do more on non JA attacks while JA build will do more on JA attacks

ps0k1d
Jul 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
In regards to Stegodon, the reason your JA build is doing overall more damage is because it is a percentage increase to your JA's(being the attacks that you hit when the red circle come's around your and you hear that charge sound). It is a 20% boost I believe. However, if you want to do more damage with your PA's, the right click attacks, the JA boost skill doesn't affect those. It only ups the JA of normal attacks, so the left click ones. This is why DarkFalz's numbers are inconclusive, because the JA ups don't affect PA's.

The only real upside to a s-atk build is that it will overall help some of your damage output and increase your overall base s-atk which may help depending on your stats and what kind of weapons your are trying to equip.

Also, answering Stegodon, s-atk is not the right click ability but the stat's that hunters use to equip gear and it comes into play when calculating damge. It is short for striking attack.

Hope i was able to help, and if you have any more questions let me know!

gigawuts
Jul 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
In regards to Stegodon, the reason your JA build is doing overall more damage is because it is a percentage increase to your JA's(being the attacks that you hit when the red circle come's around your and you hear that charge sound). It is a 20% boost I believe. However, if you want to do more damage with your PA's, the right click attacks, the JA boost skill doesn't affect those. It only ups the JA of normal attacks, so the left click ones. This is why DarkFalz's numbers are inconclusive, because the JA ups don't affect PA's.

I'm glad to say that this has been disproven. The description is confusing, and specifies techs even though hunters can't use techs. Everyone just assumed it meant all PA's. After someone did some testing and got consistently higher damage on their PA's, it seems that it does indeed mean techs, suggesting that hunters will have some kind of access to techs in the future.

ps0k1d
Jul 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
I'm glad to say that this has been disproven. The description is confusing, and specifies techs even though hunters can't use techs. Everyone just assumed it meant all PA's. After someone did some testing and got consistently higher damage on their PA's, it seems that it does indeed mean techs, suggesting that hunters will have some kind of access to techs in the future.

Ah, well this I wasn't aware of at all. :) That is actually very interesting and I'm glad to hear it, probably a good sign of hybrid classes/builds. Also makes me re-think a little of my damage skill tree build myself, but nothing a new tree wont fix.

Well in any case, now knowing this, that is probably why a good JA build will do overall more damage then an s-atk one. The 20% increase in damage will have a greater impact then some extra s-atk in the long run.

Blackheart521
Jul 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
Well in any case, now knowing this, that is probably why a good JA build will do overall more damage then an s-atk one. The 20% increase in damage will have a greater impact then some extra s-atk in the long run.

Idk, getting an extra 100 S Atk on its own isn't much, but it could actually be more beneficial as it would allow you access to weapons with higher stat requirements so you could do more damage from having the higher tier equipment... so they both have their benefits. ^^;

IndigoNovember
Jul 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
Idk, getting an extra 100 S Atk on its own isn't much, but it could actually be more beneficial as it would allow you access to weapons with higher stat requirements so you could do more damage from having the higher tier equipment... so they both have their benefits. ^^;

Haven't a few people pointed out that this point only holds with the current level cap and that down the road it won't matter as much (looking at past games as an example) ?

gigawuts
Jul 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
It's entirely possible Sega will put in weapons with requirements SPECIFICALLY tailored to be restricted based on trees at the level cap. Take the Last Survivor for instance - my HUcast has 388 S-Def at level 40, and it requires 400 (I have 3 points in S-Def Up). I'd need either more S-Def Up than the minimum requirements for Just Guard, or some S-Def in my mag. I don't want to do either of those things, so I just have to go without the Last Survivor until they raise the cap.

edit: Besides, until they add more stuff the damage trees will homogenize after a certain level. You can only put so much into JA Bonus or S-ATK Up. Eventually the only way to get more damage will be to cross into the other half of the hunter tree.

Saffran
Jul 15, 2012, 07:18 AM
You can Just Attack PAs, in case you haven't noticed...

In the grand scheme of things, I do think that JA bonus will outperform Satk bonus, but the requirements in the "end stage" will determine how useful the skill points you need to invest are.

Stegodon
Jul 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. I recently Hit 40 and have been messing with both trees... for the time being it seems the JA build is the way to go... But to everyone else's point, later on with new higher end gear S-Atk may make up some ground. We'll have to wait and see.