PDA

View Full Version : I see now how they want to sell you Scape Dolls

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 05:51 AM
Story quests. If you die, you failed the quest automatically. Story quests are quests that you do only with NPCs, you can't invite anyone to them.

sugarFO
Jul 14, 2012, 05:55 AM
So can't you just restart the mission? They aren't very long.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 05:58 AM
You can restart, but how will a restart help you soloing Vol Dragon?

Dammy
Jul 14, 2012, 06:25 AM
failing that story quest with dragon too?
one mistake and you re dead and noone can revive you :/ and dragon has tons of hp
i have tried like 4 times, but it takes too much time

Arika
Jul 14, 2012, 06:26 AM
It is action-RPG game. If you can't win something, you either need to upgrade gear/level. or you need to practice more of player skill.

Restart to retake the challenge while practicing your skill.. most of the old-school action game are like that, ever play those?^^ eg. Ninja Gaiden old school. Difficulty here is still far from that.

though, it is not that hard imo. You see those people already solo Banshee and Panther.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I've failed few times, but managed to kill him in the end.

It is action-RPG game. If you can't win something, you either need to upgrade gear/level. or you need to practice more of player skill.

Restart to retake the challenge while practicing your skill.. most of the old-school action game are like that ^^

though, it is not that hard imo. You see those people already solo Banshee and Panther.

That's not what this thread is about though.

Dammy
Jul 14, 2012, 06:29 AM
still no luck for me, without WB fight takes TOO long and im getting tired and do mistake at the end :/ sometimes i think he has infinite hp

mhjc
Jul 14, 2012, 06:42 AM
Fight is just boring, overall. I was able to complete it, just wish it didn't have to take nearly 20 straight minutes of fighting him.

MUDGRIP
Jul 14, 2012, 08:07 AM
does the 6th matterboard unlock if you beat the vol dragon story mission?

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 08:09 AM
There is no sixth matter board yet.

Hrith
Jul 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
So can't you just restart the mission? They aren't very long.They are...

kantaris
Jul 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Uh, so all those story quests where it says "ONLY INVITE AFIN AND LOCK YOUR GROUP!" I've passed by inviting Afin (or whomever) and then having other friends in the game.

as long as you have the one NPC there you'll pass it.

Somnia
Jul 14, 2012, 09:22 AM
Uh, so all those story quests where it says "ONLY INVITE AFIN AND LOCK YOUR GROUP!" I've passed by inviting Afin (or whomever) and then having other friends in the game.

as long as you have the one NPC there you'll pass it.

Story line quests unlocked by matter board progression are solo only. They are accepted from the quest counter and you can not invite any players or NPCs, the game won't even let you. What you have been doing are client orders, which are different.

Ashdown
Jul 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Personally, I didn't mind the difficulty per say, the Dragon on PSO was a pain in the arse too when the game was released, so I would expect nothing less than, a pain in the arse, but what sorta bums me out, is that bosses, both in Emergency Codes and as bosses itself have terrible loot for the insane amount of time you spend fighting then, like geez you spend 4k in trimates and get 300 meseta back, it gets old quick.

Cyclon
Jul 14, 2012, 09:44 AM
I really hope they aren't planning on making too much cash with the scape dolls if that's their sole purpose, then...

Geistritter
Jul 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
You need to worry about getting better at the game and/or better equipment if you're this terrified of being forced to solo.

Vylera
Jul 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
Though I don't think this is the main point of the thread, selling revives in the cash shop is standard for dungeon-based MMOs.

Cash shop is all about trading time with money, so if you aren't willing to spend another 15 minutes of your life to retry, then you pay for it instead.

These options exist to feed off of our laziness, and somehow we end up blaming the game companies for having those options in the game for us. Funny how that works.

They are...

I think at this point "long mission" is a subjective statement.

I've never spent more than 20 minutes on a mission. That's not long in my book, considering that I've played MMOs that have 2 hour long solo dungeons.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
If you actually need Scape Dolls, please let me know. Whenever they add PvP I'm going to inflate my record by taking you to school! :D

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 11:59 AM
These options exist to feed off of our laziness, and somehow we end up blaming the game companies for having those options in the game for us. Funny how that works.

I don't know how could you even come up with something like "laziness" here, the story quest we are talking about requires you to solo a lv. 35 Vol Dragon in hard mode caves. It takes around 15 minutes to go through the 3 areas before you fight with him. And the fight itself can take pretty long, one mistake and you are going to have to restart. Not everyone is a good player or even decent, in PSO2 you can fix that by playing with friends but what SEGA did was add something that removes that and its the plot line quests, not some gimmicky time trials :nerd:

Priest
Jul 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm really wanting to try this story mission. I hear a lot of people having trouble with the later quests. I'm just wondering how long it will take locking on Vols Horn and shooting with gunslash :P

Sasamichan
Jul 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
Why are people complaining about restarting story missions without scape dolls? You weren't able to use them in PSU, even if you had them in hand.

xBladeM6x
Jul 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
Biggest proof of them trying to force you into a scape doll, due to frustration?

Healing. Standing still, and healing. Lmao

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
Why are people complaining about restarting story missions without scape dolls? You weren't able to use them in PSU, even if you had them in hand.
Because they are a cash shop exclusive and allow you to continue a mission even if you fail it. In story missions you are getting booted off the to the camp ship and the warp to the mission is blocked.

holmwood
Jul 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'm really wanting to try this story mission. I hear a lot of people having trouble with the later quests. I'm just wondering how long it will take locking on Vols Horn and shooting with gunslash :P

Took me ~9 mins with just gunslash shooting. Not the most efficient way of killing, but at least it's pretty safe. XD

Vashyron
Jul 14, 2012, 02:43 PM
So will everything "difficult" in the future be a ploy for them to sell you Scape Dolls?

If you don't want to spend time getting better or getting better equips them selling basically a "cheat" if you don't want to deal with it, it's 100% their fault? It obviously incentivizes you to buy a Scape Doll if you don't want to deal with it, but it's not like that is the sole choice you have.

If Scape Dolls were not Cash items I can almost guarantee that there would be "No Scape Doll" on Story missions just like PSU either way.

Crimson Exile
Jul 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
What level is vol dragon?

Metalsnake27
Jul 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
Heal Heal Heal :D

Idk, never fought vol yet.

Ueno54
Jul 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
If this Vol just has lots of HP and nothing else special I don't see a reason for even getting hit by him. Vol is pretty predictable.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 03:21 PM
So will everything "difficult" in the future be a ploy for them to sell you Scape Dolls?

If you don't want to spend time getting better or getting better equips them selling basically a "cheat" if you don't want to deal with it, it's 100% their fault? It obviously incentivizes you to buy a Scape Doll if you don't want to deal with it, but it's not like that is the sole choice you have.
Where did I come up with such conspiracy? I've posted this thread generally because I saw plenty of people "seeing no purpose in Scape Dolls since someone can revive you and you can't use them at bosses anyway" which isn't true, no one can revive you at Story Missions and you can use those Scape Dolls at bosses. Why does everyone come to this from ass side? :nerd:

Zari
Jul 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
The scape dolls are in the cash shop for a reason. Most F2P MMOs have their revives in the cash shop. If you don't want to buy them you have to try to get better and/or get better equips. You may find it unfair but really it can be considered a test of skill and patience. If you don't want to go through it again just take a break from it and try to improve and as said earlier, try to get better equips. Running something multiple times because you aren't completing it can be frustrating and the frustration could very well make you do worse than you did the first time.

Daiyousei
Jul 14, 2012, 03:37 PM
I actually prefer starting over especially since there is virtually no penalty for death. You're just wasting AC in the long run. AC that you could've used to buy premium instead. Rerunning over and over you get the experiencr from killing the same enemies over and over, and eventually level up, rather than spend on scape dolls over and over to kill like one stupid Vol.

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 03:41 PM
I don't know how could you even come up with something like "laziness" here, the story quest we are talking about requires you to solo a lv. 35 Vol Dragon in hard mode caves. It takes around 15 minutes to go through the 3 areas before you fight with him. And the fight itself can take pretty long, one mistake and you are going to have to restart. Not everyone is a good player or even decent, in PSO2 you can fix that by playing with friends but what SEGA did was add something that removes that and its the plot line quests, not some gimmicky time trials :nerd:

I'm sorry, but I agree with Vylera. Video games, especially RPGs, have always been like this. How can you really complain about having to re-do a mission? It's an RPG, when you keep failing something, you're probably not strong enough yet and you need to level up and get some better gear.

You're not supposed to have to rely on having an endless supply of extra lives just to beat everything. That, to me, is very cheap. The ability to buy a scape doll is just something there to save a little bit of time if you wanna toss them a bit of cash. It IS a free game, after all.

Also... I donno about you, but I've never actually had any real trouble soloing any of the bosses. Even as a hunter, between the 30 mates you can carry... it isn't really that hard, unless you're just FAR too low level to be going against that boss.

Even then.. gunslash.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
I'm sorry, but I agree with Vylera. Video games, especially RPGs, have always been like this. How can you really complain about having to re-do a mission? It's an RPG, when you keep failing something, you're probably not strong enough yet and you need to level up and get some better gear.

You're not supposed to have to rely on having an endless supply of extra lives just to beat everything. That, to me, is very cheap. The ability to buy a scape doll is just something there to save a little bit of time if you wanna toss them a bit of cash. It IS a free game, after all.

Its a MMO before everything, something where you are supposed to play with people.

Also... I donno about you, but I've never actually had any real trouble soloing any of the bosses. Even as a hunter, between the 30 mates you can carry... it isn't really that hard, unless you're just FAR too low level to be going against that boss.

Even then.. gunslash.
As a hunter you get guard which is obviously is massively helpful if you are going to fight a boss that has aggro all the time on you. Forces and Rangers don't get it.

I actually prefer starting over especially since there is virtually no penalty for death. You're just wasting AC in the long run. AC that you could've used to buy premium instead. Rerunning over and over you get the experiencr from killing the same enemies over and over, and eventually level up, rather than spend on scape dolls over and over to kill like one stupid Vol.

Story missions scale monsters with your level. The mission I talked about caps at level 40, the same level that the level cap is at.

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
Its a MMO before everything, something where you are supposed to play with people.

...No, PSO has ALWAYS had an offline section of the story.

And I'm sorry, I don't wanna talk like "oh you're just bad" but I can't really see how you're dying that much. Even if you're too weak to fight it, it's easy enough to stand back and shoot, and get a few good swings in when they're not moving. Staying alive in this game really isn't difficult when you're paying attention.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
If you at least read the whole thread you'd know that I've cleared the mission, actually, how about you read the whole thread first as it is its pointless to say anything as it will result in reposting the same thing again and again.
And I don't care what PSO had/was, PSO2 doesn't have an offline mode.

Vylera
Jul 14, 2012, 03:54 PM

I came up with the world laziness because it's not whether or not you're naturally a good player. It's about putting in the effort to become a good player.

When I'm feeling lazy, I play my ranger to get things done. When I'm feeling unbelievably lazy, I come out of TPS mode and lock on. That's about all there is to it.

Most long-term gamers nowadays have one big complaint about games - too easy, and too short.

So what's wrong with failing 5, 8, 12, 27 times before you get it down? I know that not EVERYONE wants to be forced to have to retry, but what's wrong with the difficulty spiking every once in a while? We complain about games being too easy, yet we trick ourselves into thinking that failure is unacceptable and should never happen.

Excuse me for only representing a non-necessarily majority group of gamers, but I originally played games for the thrill and frustration of being beaten down again and again and again. Then, there's that one magical run where everything works and you pull off the final blow with 7 HP left. That's the BEST feeling of accomplishment available in games. The feeling that you managed to overcome something that seemed impossible a few hours ago.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of gaming for the sake of leveling and building up avatar strength, but in my opinion, that's just an example of lazy gaming - gaming that you can do with one hand tied behind your back and a coffee cup in the other.

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 03:55 PM
If you at least read the whole thread you'd know that I've cleared the mission, actually, how about you read the whole thread first as it is its pointless to say anything as it will result in reposting the same thing again and again.
And I don't care what PSO had/was, PSO2 doesn't have an offline mode.

I did read it, and I was just going by what this thread was actually about. No, it doesn't have a real "offline" mode, but this is its substitute, and it's always been at least a little part of PSO.

I can't imagine how you must'a felt about old RPGs. I mean, they don't have to hand everything to you with no challenge. It'd be boring as hell if they did.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
I can't imagine how you must'a felt about old RPGs. I mean, they don't have to hand everything to you with no challenge. It'd be boring as hell if they did.

"Man you must suck i bet you hated old rpgs and your a casual"
Is that really what you think? I can't get anything else out of this.

I came up with the world laziness because it's not whether or not you're naturally a good player. It's about putting in the effort to become a good player.

When I'm feeling lazy, I play my ranger to get things done. When I'm feeling unbelievably lazy, I come out of TPS mode and lock on. That's about all there is to it.

Most long-term gamers nowadays have one big complaint about games - too easy, and too short.

So what's wrong with failing 5, 8, 12, 27 times before you get it down? I know that not EVERYONE wants to be forced to have to retry, but what's wrong with the difficulty spiking every once in a while? We complain about games being too easy, yet we trick ourselves into thinking that failure is unacceptable and should never happen.

Excuse me for only representing a non-necessarily majority group of gamers, but I originally played games for the thrill and frustration of being beaten down again and again and again. Then, there's that one magical run where everything works and you pull off the final blow with 7 HP left. That's the BEST feeling of accomplishment available in games. The feeling that you managed to overcome something that seemed impossible a few hours ago.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of gaming for the sake of leveling and building up avatar strength, but in my opinion, that's just an example of lazy gaming - gaming that you can do with one hand tied behind your back and a coffee cup in the other.

There is two things, fair challenge and unfair challenge, being forced to solo a boss that is designed to be fought with a party is the second option. Personally, I don't mind but I already know that some of my friends that aren't willing to spend hours fighting the boss to master everything in a way to not make a single mistake (because the Vol Dragon in that mission oneshots plenty), they'll probably ragequit the game at that point.

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
No, I'm just telling you that this is how games have always been. It's called challenge.

Why should everything be easy to the point of boredom now?

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
No, I'm just telling you that this is how games have always been. It's called challenge.

Why should everything be easy to the point of boredom now?

In the past there was no challenge for most, all there was fake difficulty (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty).

DreXxiN
Jul 14, 2012, 04:17 PM

Eh, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this statement here. MMO is multiplayer, but it doesn't always have to be multiplayer. To me it just seems like a massive world where you CAN group up with friends and pass all the content, but sometimes there's solo challenges that merit rewards.

I don't think you HAVE to solo Vol if you do not wish to, but completing the challenge rewards you in doing so.

Vylera
Jul 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
There is two things, fair challenge and unfair challenge, being forced to solo a boss that is designed to be fought with a party is the second option. Personally, I don't mind but I already know that some of my friends that aren't willing to spend hours fighting the boss to master everything in a way to not make a single mistake (because the Vol Dragon in that mission oneshots plenty), they'll probably ragequit the game at that point.

An unfair challenge is a challenge that can't be cleared no matter how hard you try.

Again, I point my finger at Diablo 3's prior-to-nerf inferno mode.

You yourself already said that you cleared it, so how is it unfair?

At any rate, it seems like the two of us have two different opinions on what games should be. I think further discussion would be pretty much meaningless, so feel free to drop your final words, cause I'm done with this post here.

jooozek
Jul 14, 2012, 04:29 PM
I've already said as to why in the post you quoted - you are thrown into soloing a boss that by design you are supposed to kill with a party. There is no way to help your friends if they're stuck at this. It sucks especially when they already are at their maximum potential and can't really "level up". Don't judge though.

JeyKama
Jul 14, 2012, 07:05 PM

I'll withhold my opinion on that 9k+ sneakshotting RA...

But yeah, that last story fight was -long-. The dragon is only lv35, but still, boosted, it is incredibly lame and boring. That it's required to get the 6th board when it's released makes it all the more lame.

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
I've already said as to why in the post you quoted - you are thrown into soloing a boss that by design you are supposed to kill with a party. There is no way to help your friends if they're stuck at this. It sucks especially when they already are at their maximum potential and can't really "level up". Don't judge though.

There is no part of any boss that is 'designed' for multiple people. Maybe Big Vader in the future, but definitely not Vol Dragon.

You hit it enough, and it dies. What part of that requires multiple people? The only thing having a party does it make it die quicker.

Even so, it's never taken me more than 15 minutes to solo a boss, so I don't know what's so different about the bosses you're playing.