PDA

View Full Version : Controller better then Keyboard for PSO2?

Kazlan
Jul 14, 2012, 06:44 PM
So when I first started playing PSO2 I was using a keyboard and I feel like it didn't really work well. I had a wired 360 controller from when I played blue burst so I looked at a guide and set that up. I found that for me the controller works much better then the keyboard. I know there is the limit on the buttons the controller has but for using the item palette and map expansion I just take my right hand off of the controller and press the key.

I noticed some people had posted about how they use the keyboard and I was curious if that worked well for you right away, adjustments to controls, and if you have tried playing with a controller? I wonder because I can't see any way a keyboard would work better.

Soul Guardian
Jul 14, 2012, 06:47 PM
It's entirely personal preference. I use a keyboard and mouse and it works extremely well for me, especially when playing Force. Been playing Hunter recently as well and it still gives me no problems. Some things are just more comfortable for different people.

Garnet_Moon
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198132

Second page here.

BIG OLAF
This topic has been made at least half a dozen times now.

But, controller for me. I'm more comfortable with it, and Hunter plays better with it, I think.

Vylera
Jul 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
I'm full time keyboard + mouse.

I haven't touched a single control because the defaults suit my taste.

Personally would much rather have a mouse rotating my camera than analog sticks.

Avid user of TPS mode on my ranger.

Just play using what you like. I just can't stand controllers for PC games, personally.

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
I think it works sooo much better with a controller. As for the map and pallet keys, you don't even have to take your hand off. I use Select for the map expansion, and the D-pad to scroll through the pallet, L trigger to use the item.

Soul Guardian
Jul 14, 2012, 06:49 PM

But, controller for me. I'm more comfortable with it, and Hunter plays better with it, I think.

But what ever would we do without infinite reposts of the same topics? Madness, madness I say!

Halcyote
Jul 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
for me, i was never really a keyboard/mouse person. i played games that utilized it but i wasn't exactly comfortable with the set up as i've played with a controller almost my entire gaming life.

playing k/m for pso2 feels absolutely right for me. it wasn't much of a learning curve to get used to it. if i had a controller, i'm sure it'd also feel right for me as well.

it all depends on your preference and what works for the end user. the game works flawlessly using either method so i can say that sega did something right in getting the controls down for this game to make sure it works for everyone who wants to play, regardless of control style.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 14, 2012, 06:50 PM

^ this

I voted anyway though. I couldn't play on keyboard and mouse, so I plugged up my Dualshock 3 to use it instead. Granted, I spent a couple of hours just getting the damn thing configured right since it kept having analog issues, but once I did get it configured... I felt right at home, heh.

Zappa
Jul 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
I use a controller for everything, except for bosses when I'm playing a ranger.

I even like navigating most of the menus with a controller better.

Fafnir
Jul 14, 2012, 06:56 PM
Depends on what class you're playing. As a hunter, I can't imagine playing without a controller. On the other hand, rangers just love the KB&M setup.

I play a hunter, and as such am always with my controller, but I still use my keyboard for various menu commands, and switch to full KB&M to do third-person-aiming.

SolRiver
Jul 14, 2012, 07:30 PM
Hunter with controller playing without lock on.
Ranger playing with KB + mouse in aiming mode.
Force with controller with lock on mode, occasionally aiming mode with controller + mouse.
That's my setup.

IHeartRice
Jul 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
KB/M if I'm playing Ranger, controller for the rest.

Sp-24
Jul 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
Keyboard for me, since I use aiming mode and 7 subpalette items very often. I also tend to switch between the weapon setups mid-fight, and numpad comes in handy for that.

Zari
Jul 14, 2012, 07:47 PM
I use the keyboard and mouse but may try out using a controller when I start using Hunter

TheSnowmanEffect
Jul 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
Keyboard & Mouse for all classes. Mice have superior camera control, which is something that has saved my life in last second dodges and blocks.
If you change your controls just right you can access the most important features easily, unless your hands look like this,
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.jrcharney.com/gallery/burger_king_tiny_hands.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

ellu
Jul 14, 2012, 07:58 PM
I am really curious if the people who play with Keyboard and mouse have attempted to play with an xbox360 controller. My brother was using keyboard and mouse while I was using controller, he played fine and well with the keyboard and mouse, but after he tried using the controller he couldn't stand playing with the keyboard and mouse and had to go out and buy a controller.

I suppose it could easily be a preference thing, or an experience thing -- but for me the controller definitely seems easier. I myself as hunter/force was practically inept at using the keyboard and mouse,

UnLucky
Jul 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
keyboard, always. I need the fast and smooth camera/aiming of the mouse, I'm always chatting midfight, feeding my mag on autorun, using 1-7 on my subpalette, switching between weapon setups, and whatever else.

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 08:25 PM
You guys know gamepads can use the subpallet too, right? All you do is use the D-pad to scroll to the one you want. Takes no time, and works awesome imo.

Ryock
Jul 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Strictly personal preference. Most people who like PS games though used to play them on consoles, so the controller is just a lot more comfortable for a lot of people I would imagine. Same would apply to me actually, but this time I went the keyboard and mouse route just because this is actually the first PS game where the keyboard and mouse controls don't feel completely asinine or whacky.

UnLucky
Jul 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
You guys know gamepads can use the subpallet too, right? All you do is use the D-pad to scroll to the one you want. Takes no time, and works awesome imo.

that's almost as good as clicking them

which is dumb and bad

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
Works better than taking your hands off the movement keys, and reaching alll the way across the keyboard to press 0.

UnLucky
Jul 14, 2012, 08:33 PM
taking your thumb off the movement stick, tapping a button several times, then pressing another button is better than holding the direction you want to move in, reaching up and tapping a single key instantly?

ScottyMango
Jul 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
All we're saying is 'grawwararfghh my preference is better than your preference.'

I don't have to take my thumb off of anything, I can reach all at the same time, but I guess it depends on the gamepad.

Still a lot better than using something designed for typing as a makeshift controller.

Sp-24
Jul 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
All we're saying is 'grawwararfghh my preference is better than your preference.'

OMG, no shit?

Anyway, if you like using a gamepad, nobody is stopping you from doing that. But keyboard is plain better for the sheer amount of functions available due to, you know, having more buttons. It's even better if you have a gaming/web mouse with as many buttons as half of a gamepad.

ellu
Jul 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
OMG, no shit?

Anyway, if you like using a gamepad, nobody is stopping you from doing that. But keyboard is plain better for the sheer amount of functions available due to, you know, having more buttons. It's even better if you have a gaming/web mouse with as many buttons as half of a gamepad.
I don't want to argue, just state that from what you just said, one could imply you mean

more = better
and/or
quantity>quality

EvilMag
Jul 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
Xbox 360 controller is good. Keyboard and mouse are good but too spread out for me.

Whit
Jul 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
This is the only PC game where I feel totally comfortable with using the KB and mouse exclusively.

UnLucky
Jul 14, 2012, 08:51 PM

I don't have to take my thumb off of anything, I can reach all at the same time, but I guess it depends on the gamepad.

Still a lot better than using something designed for typing as a makeshift controller.

you can use the dpad and the analog at the same time? like, with one hand? with your other on the face buttons??

Sp-24
Jul 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
I don't want to argue, just state that from what you just said, one could imply you mean

more = better
and/or
quantity>quality

One could imply a lot of things. For example, that people have started defending gamepads with implications like the bolded part after keyboard people have decided to state actual reasons why they prefer what they prefer. I like keyboard+mouse setup because:

1. It has more buttons.
2. It makes game's functions like subpalette, weapon palettes, quick chat and menus easier to access.
3. Mouse is a superior analog controller.

Does that clear things up a bit?

ellu
Jul 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
One could imply a lot of things. For example, that people have started defending gamepads with implications like the bolded part after keyboard people have decided to state actual reasons why they prefer what they prefer. I like keyboard+mouse setup because:

1. It has more buttons.
2. It makes game's functions like subpalette, weapon palettes, quick chat and menus easier to access.
3. Mouse is a superior analog controller.

Does that clear things up a bit?
It's all subjective, as long as everyone enjoys the game I don't see why it's a big deal what anyone uses to play.

Nothing was unclear, I was just stating what I had surmised. :v

Zyrusticae
Jul 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
You know, you CAN use both.

I regularly take my right hand off the controller to hit hot keys on the keyboard for consumables and heals on my Force. I prefer the analog stick on a controller for movement, especially since you can't walk with a keyboard by its very nature (i.e. it's either on ("pressed") or it's not ("not pressed") - a key is a purely binary input device).

Oh, and since you can lock on enemies camera control is generally not necessary unless you're in third-person shooter mode all the time (and the only class that really does that is the ranger).

TheSnowmanEffect
Jul 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
I am really curious if the people who play with Keyboard and mouse have attempted to play with an xbox360 controller.
Actually I have used the gamepad, otherwise I wouldn't have voted and posted here. The fact is, even if you play like this,
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/Gaogaodino/Clawone.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
camera control will always be superior with a mouse. I won't use the switching weapons excuse because I fixed that by using my toes to press my num pad as I leaned back in my chair.

Really a gamepad isn't bad, it is comfortable and easy to use and with a few adjustments it can become even more powerful, but it isn't equal to or superior to Kb/M, however Kb/M isn't much better.

It all comes down to prefference in the end though, as stated before.

Oh, and since you can lock on enemies camera control is generally not necessary unless you're in third-person shooter mode all the time (and the only class that really does that is the ranger).
Hm.. Lock-On had slipped my mind actually, that is a good point. A controller would be simpler to use while locked on (using three/four fingers to move/dodge while the camera is being moved around? nty), but I do find camera control to be extremely useful outside of lock-on (including tps). In fact, being able to whip my camera around has allowed me to tank two bosses at once and appropriately block and dodge them as well.

PS I REALLY wanted to add more stuff but then I realized it was becoming irrelevant to the topic! xD

Cyrusnagisa
Jul 15, 2012, 12:26 AM
I voted controller, because that is what I used to play PSU/PSO2 FFXI/FFXIV, but that does not mean it is better, just my preference.

BIG OLAF
Jul 15, 2012, 12:32 AM
I voted controller, because that is what I used to play PSU/PSO2 FFXI/FFXIV, but that does not mean it is better, just my preference.

Well, you see, people could sit here and argue with 'statistical and/or logical proofs' all night about which is "better." But, I don't think the thread is about that. It's just what's more comfortable to the person in question.

Like, me, I've never played any PC games outside the top-down style Diablo or Warcraft (not WoW) games. Never any shooters or action games on a PC, not a one. But, on consoles, I've played plenty of shooters and action games. So, the logical choice, for me given past gaming experience, is clearly the controller.

That's all it is.

ScottyMango
Jul 15, 2012, 01:46 AM
you can use the dpad and the analog at the same time? like, with one hand? with your other on the face buttons??

No, I move my other thumb from the camera stick, or just do it while I'm swinging my sword. It really isn't that complicated.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 15, 2012, 01:48 AM
No, I move my other thumb from the camera stick, or just do it while I'm swinging my sword. It really isn't that complicated.

you use your right thumb for d-pad too?? i learned that with Gears for swapping weps while rolling+^_^+

MissMalice
Jul 15, 2012, 02:18 AM
The first MMO I ever played was PSU for the 360. Then I eventually went to the PC version~ I've been playing PC games with my keyboard for so long that it'd probably take me a while to get used to my original PSU controller style~ Soooo, my vote is personally for keyboard, but I wouldn't necessarily say that controller or keyboard is better than the other. When it comes right down to it, it depends on the person's play style and what they're used to. c:

HadouMetsu
Jul 15, 2012, 02:19 AM
I love playing with keyboard and mouse, so very accurate on the sensitivity

Ephidiel
Jul 15, 2012, 03:46 AM
The game feels much more natural to play with a Controller imo

So Controller for me

gigawuts
Jul 15, 2012, 03:56 AM
Depends on the class. When I experimented with Force and Ranger I couldn't do anything with the controller.

When I play Hunter though, it's controller all the way. The default control scheme is horrid so I just swapped in some customized controls.

jOhMG
Jul 15, 2012, 04:48 AM
I feel the game is absolutely perfect on a controller. I use a PS3 controller. The set-up is great and I still feel I'm able to easily access everything I need.

mangopirate
Jul 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
I have become a full-time PC gamer since the time of GC PSO so keyboard and mouse is what feels natural for me. I only play Hunter and haven't had any problems

Ogni-XR21
Jul 15, 2012, 06:08 AM
I mainly use a controller but my setup is so that I can use the num pad to use the subpallete. Works great for force since you can put techs on the subpallete, so I just control the character using analog on the controller and the numpad for access of up to 9 techs at once.

Squall179
Jul 15, 2012, 06:14 AM
I don't use the keyboard and mouse, I don't use a gamepad.....

I use a pair of flightsticks set to either side of the keyboard. Left to move, right to aim, ALL of the buttons I need and EXCESS all over BOTH of the bloody things. Sure, I look like a freaking bezerker maniac any time I play a game with it, but I like that. I'm less likely to drop the sticks that are BOLTED to the TABLE if I sneeze than I would, say....a controller. If I have to do precise, sniper level aiming, I use the mouse, and move with the left stick (I'm a lefty by the way so this is the only game so far that has gotten me to use the mouse with my right hand. I tend to not play shooter type games, personal preference)

mctastee
Jul 15, 2012, 06:14 AM
Seriously, what's with all the bull shit keyboard and mouse vs. controller threads? People generally don't care which is better, but which is most comfortable to them. Just use whatever the hell you are most comfortable with. If anymore of these threads pop up, they should just be moved to the dead horse society section of the forums.

Squall179
Jul 15, 2012, 06:56 AM
Well why not move it to FKL where the crators/propagators of the Controller VS KB&M (and not go with what works best for one personall) mentality can have the war they've always wanted finally!

But then again the staff of PSOW is wise in infinite wisdom to force it to stay here, where fights are ....dangerous for the combatants, because if it became a war in FKL...it would spread, and eventually mutate humanity, some of us would become like the Great Light.....and others, the Profound Darkness, and this star system would become Algol.

moorebounce
Jul 15, 2012, 08:03 AM
lol then the question is after it's all over will it be considered "AW", "AUW" or "AP" lol

Squall179
Jul 15, 2012, 08:09 AM
Well, I would surmise given my time travel experimentation that the Espers refer to this dark period in time before the AW period as the AFKL period.