PDA

View Full Version : Dealing headshots with Rangers

D-Inferno
Jul 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
I noticed that if a bullet from your rifle or gunslash hits an enemy's head, it will deal twice as much damage. Problem is, hitting said head is far too difficult for me. If I use a controller + lock on, then the lock on won't even target the head. If I use mouse + keyboard, I can properly aim for the head somewhat, but the moment the enemy starts moving around is the moment I can barely focus. Add to the fact that I have to do this with all enemies, and it becomes tiresome. And TPS + Controller doesn't let you aim that well at all.

Do techniques from a Force also do headshot damage? I hope not.

Vashyron
Jul 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
It's hitbox based, most enemies (even the tiny ones) have weakpoints on their head and everyone can hit them.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
Hunters, Rangers and Force can all hit the head (and other weak-spots) for more damage.

It's just easier for Ranger and Force because they can aim in TPS mode.
Play some FPS games and when you come back you can be a pro at PSO2 headshots ^^

HiOc
Jul 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
All my years of playing FPSs/TPSs have honed my free aim accuracy. Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually.

kdrakari
Jul 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
Everything does headshot damage, though on some enemies it's not the head.

Larger enemies allow you to lock onto their weak points specifically, while smaller enemies are usually weak enough that you can easily kill them anyway.

On the other hand, if manually targeting weak points is too much for you, or if you just dislike it, ranger is probably not a great choice. Forces have more ability to hit lock-on weakpoints without going into harm's way and also more area attacks that can wipe out multiple enemies quickly without targetting each one, if that sounds more appealing.

holdthephone
Jul 15, 2012, 09:44 PM
Waiiiiit, how do I manual aim in this game? I've always just locked on..

ashley50
Jul 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
press Z....

D-Inferno
Jul 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
Hitting weak points like the red blubs on my darker enemies as well as, say a Rockbear's head (which I've known for a long time) is easy, it is for the smaller and very swift things that I have trouble with. Many of these's heads also look kind of messy, meaning that it is hard to tell at a quick glance where exactly to shoot.

Lock on, while not ideal for headshotting, has the advantage of making your character always aim at the locked on part even if the enemy is moving like a manic.

It also does not help that it is a little difficult to see your surroundings in TPS mode, andsometimes your character might block the view a little.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
All my years of playing FPSs/TPSs have honed my free aim accuracy. Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually.

this, 15 years too many no scope head-shots in halo, gears, and CoD+^_^+
I have my controller and can aim just as well as any mouse user+^_^+

Macman
Jul 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
Headshots used to be piss easy back in CBT, then they messed up the hitboxes.

Za Oodan and Digg are the biggest offenders. Bullets tend to go right through them unless you hit them square on the nose.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 16, 2012, 12:10 AM
Locking on has it's advantages. Like when Dark Ragne spawns in the middle of a mission. If you're a force, run under him, jump, and when your targetting reticule lands on his weakspot in the chest that everybody else can only hit when he's fallen over, hit your lock on button.

Now, put a wall between you and him, and spam Rafoie. Rafoie can be cast through the wall and still hit his weakspot for 1,000+ depending on your gear and shifta. His attacks, however, cannot go through walls.

Just saying.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 16, 2012, 12:31 AM
Locking on has it's advantages. Like when Dark Ragne spawns in the middle of a mission. If you're a force, run under him, jump, and when your targetting reticule lands on his weakspot in the chest that everybody else can only hit when he's fallen over, hit your lock on button.

Now, put a wall between you and him, and spam Rafoie. Rafoie can be cast through the wall and still hit his weakspot for 1,000+ depending on your gear and shifta. His attacks, however, cannot go through walls.

Just saying.

Wha?!?! you can shoot through walls and i can't?!?!? +^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSu7dTn7Dm4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSu7dTn7Dm4

Garnet_Moon
Jul 16, 2012, 12:40 AM
Wha?!?! you can shoot through walls and i can't?!?!? +^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSu7dTn7Dm4
Spells that have a path, like barta, cannot. Spells that originate on the target can be cast from the other side of a solid object like a wall or giant, unbreakable rock.

Rafoie is the best since the explosion originates right on the target point.

Ragrants sucks for this since the beams of light originate above the target, and rain down on it. These hit Dark Ragnes crest covering his weak spot before they hit the target.

It's OK. I am a wizard, I know what I'm doing.

jmanx
Jul 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
the targeting system is pretty crazy you can target a monkey's toe if you watned to done this before lols

WHEN I USE RIFLES AND LAUNCHER though TPS mode all the way

Geistritter
Jul 16, 2012, 12:46 AM

If by "everybody else can only hit when he's fallen over", you mean "everyone else can hit whenever they do the same thing", then yeah, you've got it. The class you play isn't the only one that can do such things. Hell, Rangers don't even have to jump; they just need to not be facing him head on. Of course, Forces can probably do the same thing, but you haven't checked out that possibility either, it'd seem.

Just saying.

That said, it occurs to me that tall characters probably have an advantage in this sort of regard, come to think of it.

Garnet_Moon
Jul 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
If by "everybody else can only hit when he's fallen over", you mean "everyone else can hit whenever they do the same thing", then yeah, you've got it. The class you play isn't the only one that can do such things. Hell, Rangers don't even have to jump; they just need to not be facing him head on. Of course, Forces can probably do the same thing, but you haven't checked out that possibility either, it'd seem.

Just saying.

That said, it occurs to me that tall characters probably have an advantage in this sort of regard, come to think of it.

I have to jump to see the initial target module for Dark Ragnes spot before he falls. To be able to target the weak bulbous spot on those Breeders in the desert I have to jump first or be literally right below it. And if I'm right below it, it needs to be next to the floor and not elevated... I'm such a tiny person...

gigawuts
Jul 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
Ragne vs. Rising Edge = lol

Somnia
Jul 16, 2012, 12:56 AM
I have to jump to see the initial target module for Dark Ragnes spot before he falls. To be able to target the weak bulbous spot on those Breeders in the desert I have to jump first or be literally right below it. And if I'm right below it, it needs to be next to the floor and not elevated... I'm such a tiny person...

Suddenly I don't regret at all not making a short character like I planned on.. that sounds pretty troublesome!

Geistritter
Jul 16, 2012, 12:59 AM
Warms my heart to see the waves of lolis being punished, on that note, even if it wasn't by intent.

That said, I wonder if your hitbox is scales with your height and girth. Wouldn't be anywhere near enough to make me reconsider having a taller character, but it's still interesting to think on.

gigawuts
Jul 16, 2012, 01:01 AM
Warms my heart to see the waves of lolis being punished, on that note, even if it wasn't by intent.

That said, I wonder if your hitbox is scales with your height and girth. Wouldn't be anywhere near enough to make me reconsider having a taller character, but it's still interesting to think on.

It did in the original PSO. I know someone who always made his FOmar as tiny as it could get, since Dark Bringer lasers wouldn't hit the smaller hitboxes.

It probably does here as well.

Geistritter
Jul 16, 2012, 01:03 AM
Wouldn't surprise me one way or the other.

The accessibility of taller/longer characters is definitely an interesting subject, though. I bet they have a longer reach, too, making a tall Hunter with long arms potentially at a notable advantage.

Blundy
Jul 16, 2012, 03:53 AM
though probably not the most efficient or popular answer, but you could always just use bazookas.

Leman
Jul 16, 2012, 04:09 AM
though probably not the most efficient or popular answer, but you could always just use bazookas.
And still be able to hit weak points but much easier :).

jooozek
Jul 16, 2012, 04:16 AM

See, when it comes to Za Oodans launcher projectiles can fly through their bodies sometimes. Breeadas butts are also disconnected with their bodies.