PDA

View Full Version : Breaking boss parts = Better drops?

Udonge
Jul 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
I just recently heard about this from a Vol dragon hunting party that if you break it's horns you get better drops. Is this true and applies to all bosses?

Meji
Jul 17, 2012, 09:18 AM
I also heard about this, but not yet confirmed on my part.
It would make sense though, since the Monster Hunter games uses this kind of "break parts for more items" system.

mhjc
Jul 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
I just recently heard about this from a Vol dragon hunting party that if you break it's horns you get better drops. Is this true and applies to all bosses?

You get an extra 2 drops per broken part, so breaking all of banshee & banther's parts makes him drop loads of loot.
So yes, it does apply to all bosses. More broken parts can equate to better loot since more drop chances overall

Udonge
Jul 17, 2012, 09:22 AM
okay, that makes sense why bosses like antlion always drops very little loot. thanks :-)

BIG OLAF
Jul 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
Yes, I've known that for awhile. However, I'm a touch confused about the Rockbear and Guwana bosses. Since they don't have any breakable parts, what exactly constitutes them dropping more items?

Demon-
Jul 17, 2012, 09:26 AM
Yes, I've known that for awhile. However, I'm a touch confused about the Rockbear and Guwana bosses. Since they don't have any breakable parts, what exactly constitutes them dropping more items?

Maybe hitting their weak points a certain amount of times.

Macman
Jul 17, 2012, 09:28 AM
I must have terrible luck, then.

I've been fighting the giant mammoth boss and breaking both horns and his face mask and he still only ever drops meseta. :-?

mhjc
Jul 17, 2012, 09:28 AM
okay, that makes sense why bosses like antlion always drops very little loot. thanks :-)

Not necessarily, rank of the lowest player in the room seems to matter as well.
There are definitely other factors involved for the main pile of loot. You could easily boss rush and break everything and still end up with 6 pieces of loot. I've seen complete piles after 10 minutes of play (probably S rank) and then breaking everything involved.

Geistritter
Jul 17, 2012, 09:36 AM
The amount of drops are based on rank. The quality of the drops is speculated to be based on breaking boss parts, but a lot of parts, when broken, cause the boss to act differently (the snow tigers slip on the ice during certain attacks once their claws have been broken, for example), or at least forces them to reel in pain for a few seconds to attack them further, so it can't be said that there's no other reason to break their parts. Indeed, since most bosses do indeed become easier when their parts are broken, it could be reasonably speculated that breaking their parts worsens their drops.

I dunno, though, and I don't pretend to know. This is a Phantasy Star Online game, so the drop rates are so awful it's impossible to be sure anyway.

UnLucky
Jul 17, 2012, 09:43 AM
I've seen four coins pop out of the dragon after a couple rounds of breaking his tail and such

I really don't think anything happens other than letting you pelt on them for precious seconds

Geistritter
Jul 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
Again, the amount of drops are based on your rank.

Somnia
Jul 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
I know I almost always get 8 drops from Rockbear with S rank, and only 4 drops when I rush. As for Dark Ragne, there have been many times I'll join a multiparty or city quest and he's already around lurking. Even if I'm present to break all the legs, usually I still get six drops or less.

So I am a firm believer in the "rank for quantity of drops" theory

Metalsnake27
Jul 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
Breaking the crystal on Vol's tail seems to contribute to that some-what. Usually get a lot of loot if you break that a few times.

Plus deals MASSIVE damage if you use weak shot on it right after you break it.

drizzle
Jul 17, 2012, 09:58 AM

No, it isn't. As far as I can tell, it's simply random.

Geistritter
Jul 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
You're one person, and you're incorrect. Sorry.

Hrith
Jul 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
Rank does not affect drops: I got S Rank and four drops from Rockbear multiple times, just like I got C~A Rank and eight drops.

I'm sure we're breaking something on the Rockbear and Gwanaada bosses, but have not noticed it >_>

NoiseHERO
Jul 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
Breaking Bad will get your better stuff?

Oh wait... Breaking BOSS PARTS.

No wait, like maybe 8 people will get this joke. D:

ScottyMango
Jul 17, 2012, 10:17 AM
I don't think rank really counts towards boss drops. I get S nearly every game (it really isn't all that difficult), and I usually get a weak 4 item drop.

But sometimes, in that same run, another boss will drop a buttload of items a few minutes later. To me, it seems pretty much random.

BIG OLAF
Jul 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
Rank does not affect drops: I got S Rank and four drops from Rockbear multiple times, just like I got C~A Rank and eight drops.

I also +1 this. I've gotten S-ranks on my missions many a time, yet the boss(es) still dropped a four-item loot chest/crystal.

I'm sure we're breaking something on the Rockbear and Gwanaada bosses, but have not noticed it >_>

I really don't know. I had a hunch that maybe the Rockbear's large back rocks were breakable, but I don't think they are. As for the Guwana, I'd have no clue what to aim for.

Geistritter
Jul 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
More proof this game makes less sense than it has to. I experimented with this for a few hours and had the exact opposite results. Input from the people I play with supported it.

ScottyMango
Jul 17, 2012, 10:27 AM
For Gwanaada, I think it might have something to do with breaking the arms, as that stuns it in the same way breaking parts off other bosses do.

Rockbear, I have no idea. I've gotten full drops, and 4 meseta drops between two rockbears in the same code.

Icecold
Jul 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
I think party size ( or multi party size depending on where you encounter the boss) plays into this as well. I've seen bosses in free field with a full (or nearly full)

multi party drop WAY more loot than I've ever seen from a boss at the end of a mission(seriously like 20-25 pieces). Plus entering the boss warp solo seems to

get you a weaker boss fight. If I'm just duo'ing let's say the stretchy dragons boss I'll usually get 1 crystal with 4 drops and the other with like 8-10 drops. If

there are more people I think you get two crystals with 8-10 drops plus a third stretchy dragon! Anyways, food for thought, since I dont think they have a

breakable part either.

Edit: Of course that huge pack of loot I'm thinking of was from a ragne who has 4 legs to break.... Still....

GrandTickler
Jul 17, 2012, 10:45 AM
im not sure about break offs adding drops but.. im 100% sure that your RANK makes bosses drop more items. if the server calculated you have made S rank before u kill the boss it will drop a ton of stuff, if u get a-b-c rank your gonna get allot less.

BIG OLAF
Jul 17, 2012, 10:49 AM
im 100% sure that your RANK makes bosses drop more items.

Not true, as I and others have stated.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 17, 2012, 10:54 AM
Well, rank could be a small factor, making it easier to get more than 4 drops
Not 100% chance of more drops, though

GrandTickler
Jul 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
Not true, as I and others have stated.

ive tested this countless times.

snow bantha rush (abc rank) + no break offs = crap drops.
snow bantha, killing some monsters (for s rank) + break offs = insane amount of drops every single time.

i havent tested a non breakoff with s rank yet though.

but maybe your right and its something like.. S rank is 50% chance to get most drops, every break off increases this by 10%. or something like that. :P

edit: i forgot to mention i tested abc rank with all break off too. which is also crap drops.

BIG OLAF
Jul 17, 2012, 11:16 AM

snow bantha, killing some monsters (for s rank) + break offs = insane amount of drops every single time.

and I'm saying that I've gotten S-ranks before with 4-drop loot chests. At least with Rockbears and Guwanas. Don't recall other bosses.

ScottyMango
Jul 17, 2012, 11:16 AM

Like I already said, I've gotten S rank many times and have gotten very few drops. In a free forest run, which was an S rank, the two Rockbears at the end dropped differently. One dropped 4 meseta, the other dropped a buttload of items.

I'm almost certain that it's just random.

Micro
Jul 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
From my experience S rank doesn't do anything, unless it's a really low chance to add more.
Breaking parts and having more people seems to net more loot.

GrandTickler
Jul 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
Like I already said, I've gotten S rank many times and have gotten very few drops. In a free forest run, which was an S rank, the two Rockbears at the end dropped differently. One dropped 4 meseta, the other dropped a buttload of items.

I'm almost certain that it's just random.

u think its posible that with the first rockbear, u didnt had s rank yet but killing it + killing the ads while fighting the second gave you the s rank so u got more drops?
i dunno but as level 40 all you do is fighting snow banthas all day long so thats the only boss i tested and where i got my results from :P

From my experience S rank doesn't do anything, unless it's a really low chance to add more.
Breaking parts and having more people seems to net more loot.

im sure s rank does alot, why else would every single japanese end game boss killing party have S rank in their room title?

CharAznable
Jul 17, 2012, 11:53 AM

But when you fight multiple bosses one will loot 10 items and the other only 4 for exemple. Rank has clearly nothing to do with it.

Kazzi
Jul 17, 2012, 12:02 PM
For Gwanaada, I think it might have something to do with breaking the arms, as that stuns it in the same way breaking parts off other bosses do.

Rockbear, I have no idea. I've gotten full drops, and 4 meseta drops between two rockbears in the same code.

You do seem to get more drops if you break the arms, but only the ones with the big red "orb" like parts at the top that are closest to the Gwan.

Vylera
Jul 17, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yay for breakoffs.

Gives me something else to pay attention to besides just raping everything in site.

Ryo
Jul 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
My experience is similar to OLAF's. I've S-ranked missions before and gotten only 4 drops off of earlier bosses. I've never gotten a low amount of drops from any of the later bosses, however.

That being said, I've tested just about every permutation of this theory, and I don't think snapping things off improves quality of drops, except with the possible exception of Vol Dragon.

This one, however, is hard for me to confirm as reaching that top horn as a hunter is damn near impossible.

Geistritter
Jul 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
reaching that top horn as a hunter is damn near impossible.

Try Gunslashes' Serpent Air and Swords' Rising Nova; not as hard as it initially seems.

Saffran
Jul 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm getting S RAnk on catadran most times, and still only 4 items (generally meseta).
I wouldn't care if the player shops had some crystals, but they don't...

It could very well be random...

DemonMike
Jul 17, 2012, 01:42 PM
I don't think there is any method of getting better drops besides rare item boosts.

I can't say much about the whole S rank theory, but breaking boss parts increases the amount of drops that come from that boss which technically gives you a better chance of rares as it's a bigger pool of items.

I might be wrong on it, but I've never encountered a time where breaking a boss part hasn't increased the drop count. Like I said, I can't say much about the S-RANK theory as I've not actually looked for a correlation, but I personally don't believe it has any effect.

Husq
Jul 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
But when you fight multiple bosses one will loot 10 items and the other only 4 for exemple. Rank has clearly nothing to do with it.

Looks like it has something to do with participating and landing hits, like ,if i am correct, the last one who hits the bosses gets extra experience points too.
I reckon if you hit for example the rockbear or caterdran randomly at any spots you will get less loot, than trying to land hits on his weak spot.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 17, 2012, 02:49 PM
i don't think i've ever had a low amount of drops when i s rank a mission for dragon.

for boss stages with multiple bosses, there's a chance one boss crystal wil overflow with items and the other will have only a few.

but generally it's a lot. the way i can tell break off effects boss drops is because there are items outside the regular "circle of items". i never get the items outside the circle of items unless there's breakoff.

and to defend the Srank theory, every time i just rushed to boss my drops were typically little or nothing.

but when i s rank and beat the boss generally my drops are much more than when you compare it to rushing to boss and getting c rank.

s rank may not guarantee more drops from the boss crystal but it seems to effect the chances of getting in general more drops.

Scarlet_Rain
Jul 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
I don't think there is any method of getting better drops besides rare item boosts.

I can't say much about the whole S rank theory, but breaking boss parts increases the amount of drops that come from that boss which technically gives you a better chance of rares as it's a bigger pool of items.

I might be wrong on it, but I've never encountered a time where breaking a boss part hasn't increased the drop count. Like I said, I can't say much about the S-RANK theory as I've not actually looked for a correlation, but I personally don't believe it has any effect.

^. They want your monies.

Ueno54
Jul 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
I've heard it, just haven't seen it actually work. Vol Dragon has 2 horns that I know of and the tail to break. I've managed to break every part almost every fight and have yet to see anything of value from him. Is a normal item with Vol Soul seriously the good stuff? I doubt it.

Hrith
Jul 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
Rising NovaI do not play hunter, but there is no such PA, so do you mean Rising Edge or Nova Strike? I'd like to know for when I do play hunter...

Coatl
Jul 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
I can a confirm that breaking parts = more rares.
It might not increase the actual possibility of a rare dropping, but I've noticed two things from breaking the body parts of bosses. They ultimately amount to more rares and more drops.

Since more drops does increase the possibility of one drop being a rare, is it too unthinkable to just connect the two and say that breaking boss parts results in an increased chance of a rare dropping? Since you can't discern if a rare drops because of there being more drops, or because increased rare chance, they are practically one in the same.

So I believe it should become a general consensus that breaking body parts does in fact give you better drops, generally speaking.

youcantcatchtheblue
Jul 17, 2012, 08:25 PM
Guys, SAKAI himself has already confirmed that breaking various boss parts DOES indeed give you more loot. They implemented it when people gave feedback in Alpha-2 that they wanted more meaning in breaking boss parts.

IndigoNovember
Jul 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
Do we have a list of breakable boss parts?

Rockbear: Face (?)
Kyatadoran: Cluster on tail, head (?)
Vol Dragon: Horn on head, Horn on back, cluster on tail

I haven't gotten too far into the game yet.

gaogaostegosaurus
Jul 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
You can't break Rockbear's face (or for that matter, anything on Gu..waa..nn..da...whatever) but they spawn up to 3 at a time, so... yeah.

DTwO
Jul 17, 2012, 09:16 PM
Do we have a list of breakable boss parts?

Rockbear: Face (?)
Kyatadoran: Cluster on tail, head (?)
Vol Dragon: Horn on head, Horn on back, cluster on tail

I haven't gotten too far into the game yet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Akbdpi65EON1dGRTd2hqNXBQMW1Lak9SOFJKM1Utb UE&gid=15

IndigoNovember
Jul 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Akbdpi65EON1dGRTd2hqNXBQMW1Lak9SOFJKM1Utb UE&gid=15

It was updated! Very nice.

Zorafim
Jul 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
I've noticed that I get more item drops from bosses when I break body parts, in general. I've also noticed that bosses that don't have breakable body parts giving more items some times compared to others. I'll have to test to see if killing a boss without breaking anything always, or only sometimes, drops fewer items.

Macman
Jul 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
there are more people I think you get two crystals with 8-10 drops plus a third stretchy dragon! Anyways, food for thought, since I dont think they have a
breakable part either.

You can break the ends of their tails, creating a new weak point.

Yuugi The Strong
Jul 17, 2012, 09:50 PM

It's missing quite a bit of info, though, isn't it? Like how the the horn(?) on the (King) Yede's lower back is a weak point.

Also, I don't know if it's actually true or not, but there seems to be a weak point on the Fongalfurs and Galfurs. I'm not entirely sure where, but it seems to be the face. I noticed myself doing more damage more often on that area when I use manual aiming, and my friend also commented on how he shoots in front of them with his launcher, rather than directly at them. Doing that doesn't seem to work for me with Rafoie, though.

But those monsters aren't terribly important to the topic, so...yes, destroying boss parts does increase drops from what I've read (seems to work, too). And as far as I'm concerned with monsters with absolutely no breaks, I don't think there's really anything that influences it. I've taken forever with Forest Exploration before, and have gotten mixed results with both the random encounter Rockbears and the mandatory Rockbear(s) at the end of the stage.

I wonder, though, if they'll create common monsters with break parts. I'd comment on how Garanz was one of them, but that was actually just it getting stronger with less HP (and visually losing plates of armor)

KrankItVZ
Jul 17, 2012, 09:52 PM
My theories:
- You have to S-rank BEFORE killing the boss for the boost.
- If you join a party mid quest or run into a boss mid fight (e.g. City Emergency), the amount of drops will most likely be lower.
- As for the breaks it INCREASES your drop rate. Does not mean it WILL drop better parts. Just a higher change than the current X.XX% of whatever the drop is. So it techically is possible to still get all Meesta.

Also breaking the tail is questionable for better drop rate as it seems to be more on just weakening the bosses. Such as Vul where his form reverts back to the normal one.