PDA

View Full Version : Bantha and Banshee

RocSage
Jul 17, 2012, 11:28 AM
How do you beat them? I've not been able to do it and I don't see any way that could be exploited so whats the most effective strategy?

Jakosifer
Jul 17, 2012, 11:30 AM
Class?

RocSage
Jul 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
I'm currently a Hunter main, but any suggestion for any class would be helpful for everyone ^.^

Jakosifer
Jul 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hunter with Sword Gear uses Sonic Arrow on either the paws of Banshee to keep it from bugging you once Bantha jumps down, or Blitz the face and make it faster. Partisan Gear uses Speed Rain on the face only (with Partisan I wouldn't bother with the paws).

Stay as close to both of them as possible, if you give them distance, they pounce and lunge, the hit box on the lunge can be wonky to your favor or disadvantage. I recommend a double dodge for those (ground dodge + quick aerial dodge).

Once Bantha comes down, you want to get Banshee out of the way as quickly as possible. Zoom in with your Map and pay close attention to Banthas movement. If he surprises you, they can combo you to death pretty easily.

You should be able to eliminate Banshee pretty quickly once Bantha comes down. After that its fairly smooth sailing. Banthas combo attack consists of a pounce + two or three claw swipes, all of which can be Just Guarded or dodged very easily. Alternatively, dodge right into his center as he pounces and his entire attack will whiff. Dont bother with his paws unless you want to be absolutely safe. He's pretty easy for a Hunter actually, since he telegraphs everything he does like an idiot.

Xane
Jul 17, 2012, 12:36 PM
Its moveset reminds me of
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/317/8/5/nargacuga_id_by_eldernargacuga-d32rftn.png

Ryo
Jul 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
Hunter with Sword Gear uses Sonic Arrow on either the paws of Banshee to keep it from bugging you once Bantha jumps down, or Blitz the face and make it faster. Partisan Gear uses Speed Rain on the face only (with Partisan I wouldn't bother with the paws).

Stay as close to both of them as possible, if you give them distance, they pounce and lunge, the hit box on the lunge can be wonky to your favor or disadvantage. I recommend a double dodge for those (ground dodge + quick aerial dodge).

Once Bantha comes down, you want to get Banshee out of the way as quickly as possible. Zoom in with your Map and pay close attention to Banthas movement. If he surprises you, they can combo you to death pretty easily.

You should be able to eliminate Banshee pretty quickly once Bantha comes down. After that its fairly smooth sailing. Banthas combo attack consists of a pounce + two or three claw swipes, all of which can be Just Guarded or dodged very easily. Alternatively, dodge right into his center as he pounces and his entire attack will whiff. Dont bother with his paws unless you want to be absolutely safe. He's pretty easy for a Hunter actually, since he telegraphs everything he does like an idiot.

What exactly does partisan gear do? I still haven't figured that out.

buri-chan
Jul 17, 2012, 12:50 PM
All it does is give expanded range. While it's still a pretty lame thing to do compared to the other two Gears, on Speed Rain it makes the attack-range larger than a Wired Lance's.

Arika
Jul 17, 2012, 12:52 PM
There is a video for HU solo them in Sword and in Partisan.

I m pretty sure that the author of those video will come and give link to it when they see this thread.
I don't have the link save though, so I can only give you the sword one first. (since he is posted it on my psow group, so it is easier to find)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wii8iDffhwg&feature=player_embedded

Basically, destroy their legs first would make thing easier, be caution before they start attacking you thought. Dodge often if you use partisan, and Guard often if you use sword.

Leyline
Jul 17, 2012, 01:03 PM
People are too used to spamming multi party runs. Solo is all about the block or dodge.

Also for those of you who have not played monster hunter, I'm going to give you a more advanced tip.

When you dodge you go invincible for a few frames, people try to dodge EARLY getting "out of the way". If you wait and dodge right as you get hit..makes you invincible as it attacks and it passes right through you.

Most of the time when you get "out of the way" it will still hit.

Fox2Tails
Jul 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
Smash 'em. Smash 'em in the face really hard

Geistritter
Jul 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7sRpiI0AU&feature=player_embedded

That's also a Hunter doing a perfectly serviceable job, if a somewhat clumsy one. It's more than possible; you just need to quit using your teammates as a crutch and work on your solo game.

RocSage
Jul 17, 2012, 02:03 PM
I see. I'll see if that works but I'm lvl 35. Not sure how much difference that makes. I use a stronger Sword so it shouldn't be that big of a difference.

mhjc
Jul 17, 2012, 02:11 PM
Its moveset reminds me of
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/317/8/5/nargacuga_id_by_eldernargacuga-d32rftn.png

It is clearly a rip-off of narugakuruga. Except it is easier because it is PSO and not monhan. That's why I don't find banshee threatening. His patterns are easier to recognize than a Naruga, and I thought Barioth was easy enough...

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 17, 2012, 02:14 PM
if ur havin problems with any situation just stack on more HP. best problem solver for basically all classes. it almost makes me not regret putting 32 lvls of ability on my 100+ mag. its called something along the lines of アドスタミナ with a funny sign that looks like a curly cursive E. they usually run for ~10-15k last time i saw. costs ~287 ability to equip. each unit gives +50 HP. if you wanted to get real ridiculous, you could just add on stam 2 to each one which would net you 90+150 hp, a nice total of 240 hp. most basic hunters are going to have around ~500 hp with no units on if you didn't lvl up hp. trust me, with ~650+ total hp you really don't feel like you ever die, and your heals go way longer. hp makes a considerable defense difference than regular defense.

the best part is that subs can be easily used with all classes, and all classes benefit from +HP. but banshee bosses are really the only bosses that really show how nice hp is. especially because they'll combo you and take a nice chunk of your hp.

lakjo gave you the best advice so far. when both of them are out, playing it safe and dashkick>just sonic arrow is the best idea until the small one is dead.

however i disagree with him when he says they telegraph all their moves like idiots. they have one move i find particularly strong and swift, it's a no-tell sudden pounce that comes out of nowhere. inbetween those slow claw swipes he can throw one in outta nowhere, and the "king" panther can do multiple pounces that will combo you to near death or death.

---------------------------------------
here's how to guard against the panther's no-tell attack. you have to pre-emptive guard.

his no-tell attack is actually easier than the sand beetle boss. the panther will ALWAYS have to turn towards you first before it attacks, with exceptions being when it jumps away from you, growls, and does 3 of those reverse tailspin swipes, or when he does a hind kick. king panther will pretty much ALWAYS do a hind kick if you're towards his succulent rear. and it comes fast. so expect it and deal accordingly.

the beetle boss on the other hand, just sits there zoning out and sits completely still in like a no stance stance, and suddenly BLAM HE RAISES HIS PINCERS UP AND DOES A 360 SPIN AND THERE GOES 1/3 OF UR HP LOL

anyway, what i mean by preemptive guarding is to have guard up the second the boss turns to you. because once he turns to face you he has a chance of suddenly doing the "no-tell" pounce. you don't want that because if you're fighting king panther, chances are high he'll do multiple "no-tell" pounces and you'll die.

but i call it "no-tell" because although when he faces you it has no tell, technically speaking, his tell is facing you, with a chance of it happening.

basically any time his attack pattern has the chance of resetting and doing something else, he may whip out the no tell on you. he can also whip out the "no-tell" pounce mid combo like i said. so you have to pre-emptive guard when (preemptive as in although you can foresee no attack, you guard regardless):

1. he turns to face you

2. he finished the animation delay for any type of attack chain or lunging swipe he did
2a. he's doing his regular huge tell claw swipe. right after he hits you with the first, guard again briefly to make sure that if he throws the "no-tell" out, you'll guard it regardless.

if it turns out he doesn't do the no pounce just always make sure to keep your wits about you. he can do it mid combo, keep remembering that. also, it might take a bit to get used to, but just move up to cancel your guard immediately so you can reset your justguard timing window if he's doing a slower easy to see attack like his paw swipe.

the above follows for both the small and king panther. but it's absolutely necessary for king panther.

if you choose to ignore my advice because you do not have just guard, it still works for dodging. if you constantly keep to his sides even when he is trying to turn towards you, you should be able to passively avoid most of his no tell lunges. just remember not to attack after the first, because chances are two more are following.

btw, you should lock onto his face when he does the reverse spinny swipes, that will make sure you guard in the right direction. if you refuse to use lock on, you can run up to him really close so you make sure you only get hit by the attack when he's coming forward. but if you make distance between you and him you may get hit from the behind even though you guarded in the front. the further away you are unless you're super far away, the larger "gray" area you're in in terms of whether his reverse spin swipe will hit you from the front or back, which is why you need to lock on.

last notes:
i already covered what he does when he hops away from you and growls

but when he just stands there awkwardly for a moment it means he's gonna do his super saiyan growl and that hurts you luckily for not big damage but still hurts you. AND:

it warns you that the boss is gonna go berserk and do a bunch of fucking combos so you better get ready to dodge or block. he'll do the lunging reverse swipes and then seamlessly transfer into combo swipes.
------

rejoice! soloing these guys is probably the most fun you can have in the game. don't get frustrated and have a good time.

last note epilogue

i feel like generally i would have typed a "get good" kinda statement like classic geis, but seeing a serious guy like you type ^.^ made me think

"damn this guy is probably having srs troubles with this boss"

ironically i hate shit like ^.^ and what not but i suppose if it's used once every month or so strategically it's not so bad.

the above is something can be learned and applied to all classes. i imagine rangers may have a slightly difficult time dodging attacks but if necessary they can just switch to gunslash and dodge that way.

forces can to do the same. but if they feel more safe mirage escaping, they should know that you can cancel the delay by jumping and then dodging. and i don't mean doing that so close to the ground you cancel the mirage dodge too. if you go to maybe mid height, you'll cancel the mirage dodge ending animation and you can chain another one easily.

TaigaUC
Jul 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
I wrote some tips for beating them as a Force here:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2805254
Some points likely apply in general.

The person who made the above Hunter video (assuming it's the sameo ne) also posted that and a Ranger solo video on that thread.

soulpimpwizzurd
Jul 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
I wrote some tips for beating them as a Force here:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2805254
Some points likely apply in general.

The person who made the above Hunter video (assuming it's the sameo ne) also posted that and a Ranger solo video on that thread.

i read through your guide and all of it's solid except for saying they're vulnerable when they prowl.

i think only the first one is. i solo'd them a few more times today and the first guy doesn't do anything when he prowls, but sometimes king panther will go from prowling>no tell lunge. he wont even jump/turn to face you. he'll just be like "o ya im just chillin WABAM DIDN'T SEE DAT CUMMIN DID U"

if you really wanted to solo them as force you could just abuse the edge of the map where those platforms though and keep casting rafoie since it has huge vert hit box.

also his no-tell lunge has a tell sometimes. every now and then (i think it applies to small panther too) they'll suddenly bounce away. if they bounce away once, chances are they'll "rubberband." they'll bounce away and then do the no tell lunge.

so don't think you're safe if they bounce away. cause they'll bounce back.