PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Chirping Sound?

Ryo
Jul 17, 2012, 03:57 PM
At various times while playing, I often hear a "chirp" sound, usually happens twice, sounds very high pitched and is much louder than anything else in the game.

I thought originally it was the sound indicating another party has joined a multi-party area, but that theory has proven false. Does anyone know what that sound is?

BogusKun
Jul 17, 2012, 04:00 PM
A bird may be in your ear... happens to me, too. You just need to update your birdfeed if possible.

TetsuyaHikari
Jul 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
Chir... ping? Aside from the chirping I believe I have heard from birds in-game at times, I'm not really sure what it could be. That's pretty odd.

I'd be interested to find out if there's something to this or if it's just all in your head, lol.

Heat Haze
Jul 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
I think I know what you're talking about, but quite frankly I have no idea what it is.

It sounds like a high frequency dog whistle, that just hurts your ears. The sound pulsates in regular intervals, right?

I don't know what it is, but I've heard it when approaching another person in a Multi-Player area. Not sure what they were doing to make that noise.

Saffran
Jul 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
It means there's a rare Rappy that spawned.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
It's more like a generic ping
And no, this game is for people who sit back and enjoy the experience. It isn't for people who want to know the line of code that creates such intricate details

Ryuujin13
Jul 17, 2012, 04:25 PM
Tinnitus? lol

Alena Zouryx
Jul 17, 2012, 04:42 PM
I have read that the ping involves rare mobs (i.e. Rappies) or rare containers (the red breakable ones) have spawned, but no one has been able to confirm if that's exactly what it is, or not.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
I have read that the ping involves rare mobs (i.e. Rappies) or rare containers (the red breakable ones) have spawned, but no one has been able to confirm if that's exactly what it is, or not.

It's possible, since I've noticed that the [double] ping is usually when rooms of the map reset

Metalsnake27
Jul 17, 2012, 04:59 PM
It's them Rappies man.

Thats what I think anyways.

GoldenFalcon
Jul 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
It's them Rappies man.

Thats what I think anyways.

When they add new rare enemies, I hope the noise is different for each one
That would be quaint, and useful

Ryo
Jul 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
Hm, rare enemies is an interesting theory. I'll have to pay closer attention.

Also, I disagree with this:

And no, this game is for people who sit back and enjoy the experience. It isn't for people who want to know the line of code that creates such intricate details

Understanding what sounds and alerts mean means that I can more effectively hunt. If I know something is out there like a rare mob or container, I'm more apt to seek it out.

That rare rappy theory has some merit though, I can't directly verify it at this point because I haven't been looking for it, but I'll be sure to check from now on.

gigawuts
Jul 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
I've killed FAR more rare rappies than I've heard that sound, so it can't possibly be that. The rare containers though, that might fit.

Ana-Chan
Jul 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
I don't think it is the rare enemies, I noticed this a while ago myself and have been investigating it. I have had rappies spawn right in front of me and that noise hasn't played at all.
If anything, I am more inclined to think red containers, since I am sure it is the same noise that plays when a red weapon drops.

gigawuts
Jul 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
The chirping I'm thinking of is most definitely not the rare weapon drop. It comes at seemingly random times for no evident reason and I've never seen a prompt that seems to explain it, but then again I've never seen a prompt that explained the rare weapon thing either.

The rare weapon is obvious though, the chirping is a bit less so.

Maybe it means a code has spawned on the map, and you need to find it? But then what do those other screen effects mean :/

Ueno54
Jul 17, 2012, 05:20 PM
They need to make the rare rappies less cute so I don't feel bad when I kill them for their loot.

Alena Zouryx
Jul 18, 2012, 01:21 AM
The chirping I'm thinking of is most definitely not the rare weapon drop.

Not a rare ITEM, but a rare CONTAINER. The breakable item boxes with a red stripe.

The chime that plays when a rare ITEM drops is clearly different than the mystery "ping" which people seem to be so confused about, which is also clearly different than the pings for the event tablets and matter board item drops.

I'm pretty sure that the ping is for the red-striped, rare containers. They typically have things like rarer discs, 4-star equipment and higher and things like that.

... yeah, as was stated earlier, I've killed many more rappies than pings I've heard. I'm pretty sure that it's either a room reset or red container spawn (which would make sense, seeing as how there is a weekly ranking for the number of red containers busted open).

Ana-Chan
Jul 18, 2012, 01:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that the ping is for the red-striped, rare containers. They typically have things like rarer discs, 4-star equipment and higher and things like that.

And those things normally drop two star sub units for me.

Alena Zouryx
Jul 18, 2012, 01:44 AM
And those things normally drop two star sub units for me.

Even on hard mode? o.o I got a level 8 Shifta from one in HM caves, yesterday.

moorebounce
Jul 18, 2012, 01:56 AM
IMO it may be the Mags making that noise. I know when I have Lisa in my party I hear a baby noise or maybe its just her making that noise but it's creepy sounding.

Omisan
Jul 18, 2012, 01:58 AM
my vote is for something mag related.

Sebastian & PSO
Jul 18, 2012, 03:28 AM
I think it's to indicate that toffee is bored waiting for her client orders to be finished back at her desk and has started pinging everyone down at the forrest because that's just what she does for fun.

Polly
Jul 18, 2012, 03:32 AM
I've been investigating this sound for a while myself and it's driven me mad.

I checked a couple of the theories in this thread, specifically the rare enemy/Rappy and Red Box theories. The sound dinged as I was heading toward a new part of the map and in that same area a Rappy AND Red Box appeared, so I'm even more confused now.

Son of a dick.

Saffran
Jul 18, 2012, 04:21 AM
Well, if it's a "chirping" sound, I only have heard the rappies chirping, so I can assure, that's the hint that a rare rappy has spawned.

Now, I have also encountered some kind of "ping" or "ding" too, and I'm wondering what it is as well. I thought it might be mag related, but I've never noticed anything in relation to it.

Will look into the red container theory...

eharima
Jul 18, 2012, 07:10 AM
You will never be able to unhear the Seagull sound in the lobby music either now.
(The downstairs quest counter composition)

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2012, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I ran into a couple red containers since the servers went back up and didn't hear the sound once. I'm pretty sure that's not what it is.

At first the mag idea sounded right, maybe its hunger bar was empty or something, but since everyone in the area can hear it it can't be mag related.

Although I may be mixing up sounds. There's two sounds I haven't identified yet, so one might be the mag's hunger bar. I know one of the sounds can definitely be heard by everyone in the area, but I'm not sure about the other one.

BGO
Jul 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
wtb mp3 of sound in question...

Galerianx
Jul 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
maybe some rappys are geting there freak on lol

Ce'Nedra
Jul 18, 2012, 01:07 PM
Not 100% sure on the red boxes. I was in mines, heard it and Red Box appeared...but bit later i saw a Red Box and didn't hear the sound.